Aug 29, 2017 9:12 PM

May 2017
Aletta
Tenshu
Kuro (best girl)

"MAIN CHARACTERS" Lol 10% overall screen time
Aug 29, 2017 9:20 PM

May 2015
At least they appear in every episode, except for Kuro, but she's new.
Aug 29, 2017 9:21 PM

Feb 2015
I think we'll agree that the focus of the series would be the different characters; the different realms in the different world and the people that resides or goes in the restaurant.

I don't care about the main characters, or the supporting characters or you OP, I just care about the next EP that will bring another different cuisine and possibly different back story of a character.

Aug 29, 2017 9:23 PM

Sep 2009
_Ako_ said:
I think we'll agree that the focus of the series would be the different characters; the different realms in the different world and the people that resides or goes in the restaurant.

I don't care about the main characters, or the supporting characters or you OP, I just care about the next EP that will bring another different cuisine and possibly different back story of a character.

You talking about Shokugeki? Lel
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 29, 2017 9:25 PM

Feb 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
_Ako_ said:

As far as I know, I'm talking about Isekai Shokudou.
Aug 29, 2017 9:27 PM

Sep 2009
_Ako_ said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Ppl add isekai to too many things, as if said setting is an improvement to the plot =/
Aug 29, 2017 11:10 PM

Feb 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
_Ako_ said:

Ppl add isekai to too many things, as if said setting is an improvement to the plot =/

Quite interesting, the fact that isekai have such a negative connotation to those who dearly dislike the series... Ehhh I mean, the premise of it.

Ohhh well, for me what this series is what I had describe previously. And not to mention, I'd take that Isekai Shokudou > SnS anyway :/

Aug 30, 2017 8:53 AM

Jun 2017
The main characters are the food! Can you not see how well drawn they are compared to everything else?
XD
Aug 31, 2017 2:49 AM

Nov 2009
World_Creator said:

It is not a story of the restaurant, it is a story of its visitors.

MortalMelancholy said:
_Ako_ said:

1) Isekai might not improve the plot much, but it sure improves the characters. Cross-world travel is the only thing that makes black dragon waitresses possible.
2) Yes, fantasy worlds do improve the plot, because our world is a very unadventurous place.
Yes, main characters coming from another world does improve the plot, because they mean that the main character who is a fish out of water and has the setting explained to him/her is not a dumb country bumpkin. MC not being a dumb country bumpkin opens up a lot of possibilities.

Speaking of black dragon waitresses, I wonder - did the black dragon learn to suppress her death aura, or is the red dragon's blessing protecting everyone in the restaurant?
Aug 31, 2017 4:55 AM

Sep 2009
flannan said:
World_Creator said:

MortalMelancholy said:

1) Isekai might not improve the plot much, but it sure improves the characters. Cross-world travel is the only thing that makes black dragon waitresses possible.
2) Yes, fantasy worlds do improve the plot, because our world is a very unadventurous place.
Yes, main characters coming from another world does improve the plot, because they mean that the main character who is a fish out of water and has the setting explained to him/her is not a dumb country bumpkin. MC not being a dumb country bumpkin opens up a lot of possibilities.

Speaking of black dragon waitresses, I wonder - did the black dragon learn to suppress her death aura, or is the red dragon's blessing protecting everyone in the restaurant?

1.) Isekai is different from Fantasy, in which a black dragon waitress would still possible.
2.) MC being a dumb Japanese gary stu who "ooh, has such a great understanding of a RPG-ripoff world" isn't any better than MC being a dumb country bumpkin, or even an intelligent country bumpkin. The thing is, isekai MCs tend to have an extremely "glossed over" character "just a generic Japanese XYZ," rather than a unique character, true to the world, built through growth and experiences. The biggest selling point of isekai isn't to make the character intelligent, but to make the character Japanese.
3.) RPG dynamic decreases focus from plot, for focus on RPG-like stats and elements.
4.) Point is, isekai in itself has little bearing on character or plot, but writers are usimg it use it to diminish said characters and plot.

Speaking of black dragon waitresses, what's that from? Gimme <.<
MortalMelancholyAug 31, 2017 5:06 AM
Aug 31, 2017 7:43 AM

Nov 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
flannan said:

1.) Isekai is different from Fantasy, in which a black dragon waitress would still possible.
2.) MC being a dumb Japanese gary stu who "ooh, has such a great understanding of a RPG-ripoff world" isn't any better than MC being a dumb country bumpkin, or even an intelligent country bumpkin. The thing is, isekai MCs tend to have an extremely "glossed over" character "just a generic Japanese XYZ," rather than a unique character, true to the world, built through growth and experiences. The biggest selling point of isekai isn't to make the character intelligent, but to make the character Japanese.
3.) RPG dynamic decreases focus from plot, for focus on RPG-like stats and elements.
4.) Point is, isekai in itself has little bearing on character or plot, but writers are usimg it use it to diminish said characters and plot.

1) In fantasy, black dragons and waitresses are quite possible, but getting a black dragon to be a waitress is very much impossible.
Nekoya, "the restoraunt from another world", is the only place that needs waitresses and actually has something to offer to an epic black dragon in return. I am talking about Kuro, of course.

2) No part of "isekai" actually demands that the MC is dumb or gary stu.
"No Game No Life", one of the highest-rated isekai anime in recent times, has a brother-sister pair of gamers as the main characters. No idea how suetiful they are, but they sure aren't dumb.

2.1) Nor does it demand the MCs to be generic Japanese. Most isekai protagonists who actually make it to anime are pretty specific people. Chief, Lt. Itami, Kazuma...
It's annoying when people know that MCs from Konosuba and Isekai Smartphone are both isekai protagonists, yet they somehow treat them as interexchangable.

3) No part of "isekai" demands usage of RPG mechanics. The oldest isekai story I know, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", predates RPGs. (And anime as we know it)
On the contrary, anime set in worlds that work on RPG mechanics are likely to not be isekai. Record of Lodoss War, Night Wizard and Chaos Dragon are based on tRPG playthroughs, and aren't isekai. Granblue Fantasy, Utawarerumono, Tears to Tiara, Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi, Disgaea, Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan, Slap Up Party: Arad Senki, Tales series, Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki - all of these are based on computer RPGs, and aren't isekai. (and that's just the ones I've watched personally, so I can vouch for them not being isekai).
Stories which aren't actually RPGs, but insist their settings work on RPG mechanics, like Danmachi, often aren't isekai too (like Danmachi).
Sure, there is a number of isekai anime that work on RPG mechanics, like Overlord, Log Horizon and Konosuba. This is not a rule.

But overall, you should get ready - as more and more people grow up playing RPGs, more and more fantasy will be RPG-like. And unfortunately, when I mean "RPGs", I mean "computer descendants of D&D". (I want to see Tenra Bansho Zero anime!)

4) I've seen plenly of anime that draw themes from contact between different cultures based on travelling between worlds. Whether it's Overlord futilely trying to apply his salaryman skills to running his evil empire, or Outbreak Company attempting cultural conquest, or just soldiers sent beyond the Gate feeling bad from colliding with fantasy world's barbarism.
Aug 31, 2017 4:02 PM

Sep 2009
flannan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

1) In fantasy, black dragons and waitresses are quite possible, but getting a black dragon to be a waitress is very much impossible.
Nekoya, "the restoraunt from another world", is the only place that needs waitresses and actually has something to offer to an epic black dragon in return. I am talking about Kuro, of course.

"No Game No Life", one of the highest-rated isekai anime in recent times, has a brother-sister pair of gamers as the main characters. No idea how suetiful they are, but they sure aren't dumb.

2.1) Nor does it demand the MCs to be generic Japanese. Most isekai protagonists who actually make it to anime are pretty specific people. Chief, Lt. Itami, Kazuma...
It's annoying when people know that MCs from Konosuba and Isekai Smartphone are both isekai protagonists, yet they somehow treat them as interexchangable.

3) No part of "isekai" demands usage of RPG mechanics. The oldest isekai story I know, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", predates RPGs. (And anime as we know it)
On the contrary, anime set in worlds that work on RPG mechanics are likely to not be isekai. Record of Lodoss War, Night Wizard and Chaos Dragon are based on tRPG playthroughs, and aren't isekai. Granblue Fantasy, Utawarerumono, Tears to Tiara, Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi, Disgaea, Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan, Slap Up Party: Arad Senki, Tales series, Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki - all of these are based on computer RPGs, and aren't isekai. (and that's just the ones I've watched personally, so I can vouch for them not being isekai).
Stories which aren't actually RPGs, but insist their settings work on RPG mechanics, like Danmachi, often aren't isekai too (like Danmachi).
Sure, there is a number of isekai anime that work on RPG mechanics, like Overlord, Log Horizon and Konosuba. This is not a rule.

But overall, you should get ready - as more and more people grow up playing RPGs, more and more fantasy will be RPG-like. And unfortunately, when I mean "RPGs", I mean "computer descendants of D&D". (I want to see Tenra Bansho Zero anime!)

4) I've seen plenly of anime that draw themes from contact between different cultures based on travelling between worlds. Whether it's Overlord futilely trying to apply his salaryman skills to running his evil empire, or Outbreak Company attempting cultural conquest, or just soldiers sent beyond the Gate feeling bad from colliding with fantasy world's barbarism.

Lol we clearly have different definitions of Isekai. To me, it's not literally "another world," which could be nearly anything, from Inuysha, to DBZ. It's the currently used stereotype, Japanese person --> fantasy world + RPG settings + contrived advantage over normal residents. And as I already said, isekai definition regardless, doesn't necessarily impact the completeness nor complexity of plot and characters in any way. Japanese writers, however, are using it to simplify said plot and characters, taking advantage of the decrease in significance of completeness and complexity.
Aug 31, 2017 5:53 PM

May 2010
Lack of screen time for the main characters is what makes me hate this show. There are so many supporting characters, each one of them is still basically a nobody, yet they are portrayed as being somewhat important and I'm meant to give a shit about what they think of their mediocre food.
Aug 31, 2017 9:07 PM

Jul 2014
I don't mind it too much because the show has a track record for having EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL LADIES as the side characters.
Aug 31, 2017 10:37 PM

Nov 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
flannan said:

Lol we clearly have different definitions of Isekai. To me, it's not literally "another world," which could be nearly anything, from Inuysha, to DBZ. It's the currently used stereotype, Japanese person --> fantasy world + RPG settings + contrived advantage over normal residents. And as I already said, isekai definition regardless, doesn't necessarily impact the completeness nor complexity of plot and characters in any way. Japanese writers, however, are using it to simplify said plot and characters, taking advantage of the decrease in significance of completeness and complexity.

Okay, can you give me a list of isekai anime as you described it?
Okay, Log Horizon, Overlord and Isekai Smartphone. I think Ixion Saga DT was like that too.
That makes four works. Unless you can make it 10 works, I am likely to think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
Sep 1, 2017 11:48 AM

Sep 2009
flannan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Okay, Log Horizon, Overlord and Isekai Smartphone. I think Ixion Saga DT was like that too.
That makes four works. Unless you can make it 10 works, I am likely to think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Lel it's a relatively new thing for anime adaptations; it takes time for the seasons to build up the count (just as with magic academy, you only have so many per season). I could give you like 200 light or web novels for it though. But yes, I can still come up with another 6 in addition to the ones you mentioned:
SAO (the firestarter)
Re:Zero
Knights & Magic
Tate Yuusha
Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku
NGNL (not bad though)
Youjo Senki (though not deficient in the more typical qualities)

Notable mention:
Konosuba (parodies Isekai)
Sep 1, 2017 12:20 PM

Nov 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
flannan said:

Lel it's a relatively new thing for anime adaptations; it takes time for the seasons to build up the count (just as with magic academy, you only have so many per season). I could give you like 200 light or web novels for it though. But yes, I can still come up with another 6 in addition to the ones you mentioned:
SAO (the firestarter)
Knights & Magic
Tate Yuusha
NGNL (not bad though)

Notable mention:

SAO isn't a fantasy world. It's a game in a near-future sci-fi world. That's pretty different, and SAO goes out of its way to explore and exploit the differences.
Tate Yuusha and Death March aren't anime (yet).
I have seen a few episodes of Knights and Magic, and I don't see any RPG settings there. Not much of a contrived advantage either - just one cute boy against medieval stasis.
NGNL is the opposite of RPG setting. Any setting where bandits challenge random passerbys to a game of cards instead of menacing them with swords is not an RPG setting.
I haven't seen enough of Youjo Senki, but their world doesn't look like it's fantasy or RPG either. The author was probably inspired by Strike Witches, but had a bad case of realism.

That leaves us with Re:Zero and KonoSuba, for a total of 6 works, and possibly two more.

Sure, you can give me like 200 web novels. I can probably give you 10 myself. But few of them get adapted to anime, because they tend to suck. People who are actually good at writing don't let RPG mechanics overshadow the fun.
Overall, I do not feel that your definition is actually useful. "RPG-mechanics verse" is a lot more useful descriptor if you ask me. As is "generic fantasy".
flannanSep 1, 2017 12:25 PM
Sep 1, 2017 12:37 PM

Jan 2014
The only reason they're main characters is because they are the only consistent characters in an episodic anime. Side characters come and go, but it's the main characters that know everyone else.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 1, 2017 6:22 PM

Sep 2009
flannan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

SAO (the firestarter)
Knights & Magic
Tate Yuusha
NGNL (not bad though)

Notable mention:

SAO isn't a fantasy world. It's a game in a near-future sci-fi world. That's pretty different, and SAO goes out of its way to explore and exploit the differences.
I have seen a few episodes of Knights and Magic, and I don't see any RPG settings there. Not much of a contrived advantage either - just one cute boy against medieval stasis.
NGNL is the opposite of RPG setting. Any setting where bandits challenge random passerbys to a game of cards instead of menacing them with swords is not an RPG setting.
I haven't seen enough of Youjo Senki, but their world doesn't look like it's fantasy or RPG either. The author was probably inspired by Strike Witches, but had a bad case of realism.

That leaves us with Re:Zero and KonoSuba, for a total of 6 works, and possibly two more.

Sure, you can give me like 200 web novels. I can probably give you 10 myself. But few of them get adapted to anime, because they tend to suck. People who are actually good at writing don't let RPG mechanics overshadow the fun.
Overall, I do not feel that your definition is actually useful. "RPG-mechanics verse" is a lot more useful descriptor if you ask me. As is "generic fantasy".

Ah, you're right. Some of my examples were a bit haphazard, and I was overgeneralizing isekai a bit; the ones with RPG mechanics only represent the worst end of the spectrum (The rest still stand, however. And SAO is the quintessential baseline for shitty isekai. I can show you a picture that looks like a person, and tell you it's actually a heavily photoshopped pizza. In the end, it's still a picture of a person.). But the not yet aired ones are right on point, as I was noting that said generalized isekai are the advent of all those bad things. Back around the time of Infinite Stratos, we didn't have soo so many magic academy anime, but look at us now goddammit. I have seen the future (of incoming isekai), and it ain't pretty.
MortalMelancholySep 1, 2017 6:32 PM
Sep 2, 2017 4:12 AM

Nov 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
flannan said:

Ah, you're right. Some of my examples were a bit haphazard, and I was overgeneralizing isekai a bit; the ones with RPG mechanics only represent the worst end of the spectrum (The rest still stand, however. And SAO is the quintessential baseline for shitty isekai. I can show you a picture that looks like a person, and tell you it's actually a heavily photoshopped pizza. In the end, it's still a picture of a person.). But the not yet aired ones are right on point, as I was noting that said generalized isekai are the advent of all those bad things. Back around the time of Infinite Stratos, we didn't have soo so many magic academy anime, but look at us now goddammit. I have seen the future (of incoming isekai), and it ain't pretty.

You people are always prophesying doom and gloom, but I will most likely enjoy both Tate Yuusha and Death March, just like I enjoyed SAO, and how I'm enjoying most magic academy anime.
Sep 2, 2017 7:58 AM

Sep 2009
flannan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

You people are always prophesying doom and gloom, but I will most likely enjoy both Tate Yuusha and Death March, just like I enjoyed SAO, and how I'm enjoying most magic academy anime.

The end is nigh! SAO, the harbinger, has long since marked the entire industry for destruction!
Sep 10, 2017 6:35 PM

Aug 2015
Hmmm. This show is definitely unique in where the main "person" is not the focus. However, as has been said, the real focus of the show is the food itself.
The restaurant is a conduit to allow people from anywhere to be able to get away from normal (to them) life and enjoy something new and unique and special.

I really enjoy the time getting to know a new character, and seeing them discovering the restaurant, and being able to enjoy a meal they've never experienced before.
It's like food is the universal thing that can unite everyone.

Even if we never see a specific character ever again, it still plays a role in the "whole".
Sep 22, 2017 9:48 PM

Feb 2014
The door is the main character ;P
Oct 31, 2017 1:12 PM

Jun 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
flannan said:

The end is nigh! SAO, the harbinger, has long since marked the entire industry for destruction!

Man, these guys are writing a novel

Jan 4, 2019 11:01 AM
May 2017
i have no problems with it, as each time we get a small snippet of the world and the events happens or have happened there. returning visitors also ensures that the world and the characters gets their story progressed, like with Aletta getting a job, Alphonse leaving the island the sirens discovered and the Sharif trying to woo Adelheid

More topics from this board

» Easter hunt help

Canfro - Apr 16, 2022

18 by Mithun1237 »»
Apr 3, 9:14 PM

Poll: » Isekai Shokudou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2017

163 by chocoalyaUwU »»
Apr 1, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Isekai Shokudou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2017

137 by Forum »»
Jan 15, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Isekai Shokudou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2017

69 by gyanburubii »»
Jan 8, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Isekai Shokudou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2017

83 by Hayley2877 »»
Sep 14, 2023 1:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.