Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 29, 2017 8:48 PM

Dec 2016
I really wanted to know why people considers this a very sad film...

What is so sad about this film? What makes you guys cry so much?

I know that a lot of anime audience are bourgeois mind, but... do you guys know how much suffer there is in the world? A lot of films, books and series succeed in transmit that... but this film? What is sad about it? What in the whole film is enough to make me sad? If I just open my eyes and turn on the TV I'll see a lot more stuff that are enough to make me sad...
There is nothing sad in the whole film.. the protagonist had a tuff life, dealing with depression, but this is huge common, and this is shit compared to what most people have to deal with in their lives, at least he has a pretty decent life, he'll probably go to college and be what he wants... the girl is deaf and suffered from bullying, but there is a lot of deaf people in the world, and a lot of people who suffer from bullying, and none of them makes me sad, I don't give a shit about them, because I'm mature enough to understand how much painful the world is... there is people who doesn't have what to eat, why should I feel sad for a guy that is depressed and have to deal with some bad shit that he did in the past?
I know that the ultra-dramatic premisse could be responsible to impact people in a sad way... but I'll never understand why people cry watching this...
And I know the point is not their characters individually, but their relationship through the film, which is well done, I think overall it's a good film, I just don't know what would made me cry... the ending is OK, still not enough to make me cry or even feel sad..
Aug 29, 2017 8:56 PM

Apr 2017
Christ how far up your own ass can you get...

you say there is nothing sad about the movie and then you list off things in the movie that were sad. Just because compared to other things it isn't as sad doesn't mean you're not allowed to feel emotional about it.

Emotions are the most subjective thing in the world. Just because you don't see anything sad in it doesn't mean it can't affect others. Stop being a conceited prick
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 29, 2017 8:58 PM

May 2015
It's just that nothing in this film hit you personally. People tend to cry about things that represent their own feelings and experiences, or at least get really close to it.
Aug 29, 2017 8:58 PM

Jan 2014
Suicidal thoughts. Depression. Kind of struck a chord with me. I teared up at least 4 times. Especially the ending.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 29, 2017 9:03 PM

Feb 2015
>sal film

because the sale was worse than expected?

OT: I dunno, all I can see was a rushed movie adaptation of the so-called "good" tear-jerker manga. I think those who have enjoyed the movie might possibly those who have read the manga.

Aug 29, 2017 9:05 PM
Jan 2015
"Hur dur I'm so mature, this pussy anime didn't make me cry" what OP is really trying to say.

You already seem so condescending and full of yourself, that I feel like you wouldn't accept any answer people give you anyway.
My Queens

Aug 29, 2017 9:08 PM
Jan 2015
_Ako_ said:
>sal film

OT: I dunno, all I can see was a rushed movie adaptation of the so-called "good" tear-jerker manga. I think those who have enjoyed the movie might possibly those who have read the manga.

Statistically that's impossible. The movie has 3x as many viewers as the manga and a higher score to boot.
My Queens

Aug 29, 2017 9:12 PM

Feb 2015
-Mahesvara said:
_Ako_ said:
>sal film

Statistically that's impossible. The movie has 3x as many viewers as the manga and a higher score to boot.

Interesting... Might want to see the sales of it, just gimme the MAL News link of it.
Aug 29, 2017 9:17 PM
Jan 2013

how did you manage to get this good my man
gone bai bai
Aug 29, 2017 9:57 PM

Dec 2016
I didn't said that I'm mature enough to not cry watching it.. I just said that I have conscience of how much suffer there is in the world.. so, because of that, I can't feel sad for somebody with their regular problems of life, UNLESS they're special to me, like a parent or anyone that I love
I suffered from depression for a long time, and even now I can relate myself with the protagonist in some aspects (actually, this was the most valuable thing to me in the film from a personal perspective).. but still not enough to make me sad..
I just can't feel sad for a guy with the regular problems of life when there is people in the world that are REALLY suffering... at the end, both of the protagonist have a decent life...
Hotaru no Haka for example, that is to me a sad story for a lot of reasons..

Of course it's subjective, I didn't think it was sad by my perspective, and by my perspective I didn't knew what exactly in this film was enough to people say "I was in tears the whole film"
UnagumoroAug 29, 2017 10:10 PM
Aug 29, 2017 10:20 PM

Mar 2014
It's as if... humans aren't all the same and actually live through different experiences....
Aug 29, 2017 11:04 PM

Jun 2016
Basing on your arguments, it seems like having a mental illness that can lead to suicide is not a big problem compare to the "MORE regular problems". What the fuck?

We understand. You didn't cry like most of us while watching Koe no Katachi, but why would you have to post about it? You want a cookie or what? We cried or I CRIED because I can relate to both of the 2 MCs. Been suffering from anxiety and depression for years, and this movie perfectly depicted ME and the rest of the people who're suffering from mental illness. I answered this question so many times now and this is probably the 100th posts asking why people cried while watching this movie. Can we all just move on and just accept that there are people who cried because they can relate to both of the MCs? Ugh.
TheDoggoneGirlAug 29, 2017 11:15 PM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 29, 2017 11:07 PM

Jun 2016
Its not sad for me but the first 5 min i was about to cry.

Aug 29, 2017 11:12 PM

Sep 2016
I shed few tears because the 2nd half is just way too boring and started yawning, but that's it.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Aug 29, 2017 11:23 PM

May 2015
Wow, it's almost like people react differently to the same thing...

Aug 31, 2017 12:07 PM

Apr 2017
It's a very touching and emotionally powerful movie that many people can relate to. Why would that be difficult to understand?
Jan 1, 2018 1:55 PM

Dec 2015
OP may have a point. We all cry from the masterful writing that Overlord gives us. The writer leaves you in tears and suspense and wanting more.
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Jan 2, 2018 7:47 PM
Jan 2018
What do u get from asking this question? Like seriously!? It's a sad movie meant to capture the emotions of people that dished and receive being bullied(Grammer sucks I know), and the life choices it wisely leads too. I don't know your thinking that well, nut shit happens and there is worst things that happen so why be sad is a pathetic excuse for it. If that was the case someone commuting sucide the family wouldn't have the right to be sad since the holocaust happened which is worse!? And the part of not giving a shit about someone with a hard life, come on, where do u get off saying something like that, have a damn heart
Jan 4, 2018 6:09 PM

Apr 2013
I would be okay if you didn't cry when watching the movie, but your reasoning is questionable. For myself, I teared up a little during the ending due to a sense of relief and happiness that the male MC managed to get rid of his anxiety or anything that you would call it. It might be a bit too hard for some people to feel the emotions in the movie, but man I just can't agree to your reasoning and you seems to underestimate what depression can do to people.

TriZenJan 4, 2018 6:13 PM
Jan 15, 2018 6:34 AM

Dec 2016
Looking back now, you guys are totally right, and my post was pretty stupid, so was my arguments
Jan 19, 2018 12:11 AM
Jun 2016
Unagumoro said:
Why people cry watching this?
Because it's really well directed, paced and scored. I cried even on my 10th watching of this but I don't really care about the content of the tragedy. A small tragedy is enough if it's presented in a compelling way.

That's surely a better reason than Kimi no na Wa has, a show which has not only lackluster directing and pacing, but a poorly conceived tragedy.

BTW, sorry about bumping this thread I presume you want dead now, I just wanted to vent my frustration about people considering Kimi no na Wa sad. It's no sadder than the next anime.
Jan 19, 2018 12:22 AM

Nov 2017
Why are you questioning such a thing? :/ it depends on viewer's personality. You can't question someone's emotions...
Feb 15, 2018 7:05 PM

Dec 2016
I never cried, it rather made me feel uneasy, but I can totally understand if other watchers did cry. I mean this movie has a lot of elements that can make a very emotional person to feel genuinely sad...
Feb 15, 2018 7:38 PM

Jan 2017
Unagumoro said:
Looking back now, you guys are totally right, and my post was pretty stupid, so was my arguments

Well I was totally going to be pissed at you upon reading your post, but I'm happy I caught this one as I was going down the thread. I'm no longer upset. Thank you.

Mar 13, 2018 2:17 PM

Aug 2017
The Ninjas cutting onions.. they attack everytime i watch this movie

Seriously though.. i had classmates with disabilities. They were bullied. I Didn't pay much attention as I didn't wanted to get bullied myself and couldn't really help them. Once a student left school after she was bullied a lot..
The story kind of reminds me of those moments.. feel bad for not standing up for them

Doesn't it seem unfair that you have to go to special school just because you have a disability
Apr 1, 2018 10:38 PM

Aug 2011
It'd really depend on you as a person and what you got from it. I don't think it was a perfect movie, but some things just hit home, really bad. I could honestly relate because in elementary school, I was that new kid that was bullied and isolated, pushed off the stage, had "friends" that acted all innocent then talked behind my back, etc. I couldn't look up at people. I had that paranoia that Ishida experienced where it always felt like people were talking about me, where you just want to shut people off, "X" them but you can still hear their voices far too loud. It went on for 2 years and then it took a long time to get over, I still fantasied about suicide and in high school I still stared out windows imagining myself jumping off of them. When I have bad days those feelings come back, and I've learned to live with it. Those people that bullied me as kids I'm sure didn't know what they were doing, probably forgot about it already and are probably living their happy grown-up lives off somewhere. But it's something that can be hard for people who personally experienced it to forget.

Granted, there are probably people who were bullied, watched this movie, and didn't take much from it. And that's okay. I was just a quiet kid who took things too personally.
Mar 12, 2019 7:36 AM
Oct 2016
What a stupid question.
Apr 10, 2019 6:28 PM
May 2018
I was just a quiet kid who took things too personally.

Please don't say things like that. Everyone deals with things differently. I know this because my brother and I have gone through years of bullying. Don't doubt your self worth. You have every right to feel a certain way. Your feelings aren't any lesser than somebody else's. Don't trvialize your feelings. Be true to them. :)
Apr 29, 2019 5:31 AM
Mar 2018
I didnt find it sad as well, neither did I find Kimi No Na Wa sad, but I loved the plot of Kimi no na wa. A silent voice was ok for me
Apr 30, 2019 3:20 AM
Jul 2015
- Suicidal tough
- Effect on bullying, both for the victim and the persecutor
- Hardship on being different than everyone else
- and what hit me the most, haunted by your past mistake AND trying to make up for it, AND lastly accepting our ugly side to be a better person

At least these are some factor that made me shed a tear in the theater.
It is not a masterpiece, but the message is top notch and well written
May 9, 2019 3:46 PM
May 2019
Well, there may be many reasons so far.
I can agree that this story plays with my emotions a lot and i can sympathize with the main cast. I was bullied at elemantary school and further on, in my depression i also bullied a handicapped girl (alongside others) in middle school (dont know maybe i wanted zo git in but didnt know how) and the realization of what i actually did do wrong came much later.
I accepted my guilt and started loving myself again ~short story

Moreover this is just a personal reflection i have on this movie.
I know that there are many sad things happening everyday,everywhere, anytime.
This movie on itself shows perfectly how most people act in these situations.

The parts that made me cry the most where when shoko nishimiyas mother and Yuzu were in the hospital, apologizing to sho's mother and moreover the scenes after that where everyone in the movie starts to "face" what hurts them to become better versions of themselves, leaving the past behind and starting the future together.

Its mostly about overcoming your own fear in this movie.
And this is what makes me tear up the most.
..... Also i think my tears are not because of sadness... I feel somehow happy while i cry. Dont know if anyone knows what i mean with that.

Well then, to all of you who cry,
Have fun :)
To those who not,....
... Don't know what to say except have fun too
May 26, 2019 4:33 PM

Apr 2019
yukai- said:
Christ how far up your own ass can you get...

you say there is nothing sad about the movie and then you list off things in the movie that were sad. Just because compared to other things it isn't as sad doesn't mean you're not allowed to feel emotional about it.

Emotions are the most subjective thing in the world. Just because you don't see anything sad in it doesn't mean it can't affect others. Stop being a conceited prick
thank you I respect you
May 27, 2019 1:28 AM
Jul 2018
I agree. This movie is emotional but nothing to cry about. I would cry if something tragic happened, but nothing tragic happened.

Also
Jun 13, 2019 4:19 PM
Jun 2019
I love this movie (but I like the manga way more) but I agree it isn't exactly sad, however I can see why people would be sad. Yes as you mentioned there are way more sad things out there war and genocide have essentially been a staple of man kind, yet you dont see people crying after learning about World War 1 or 2. The fact the characters have had decent lives is what makes it more believable, because most depressed people have a nice home with a objectively good if not great life. It's the isolated thoughts amplified into irrational statements about yourself that enhances depression. So with that in mind it would be hard to write a story so depressing yet captivate the audience at the same time because you distorted reality too much at a unbelievable state. A movie like this needs a character in which shoes you could be placed in so every movement taken feels that much more important to the viewer. The thing that makes it great is that its able to relate to audience, but at the same time not be too vague about it like if it were some pop singer trying to be 'deep'.
Jul 23, 2019 12:08 AM
Sep 2018
I didn’t wanted to see it end 😭
Nov 24, 2019 2:38 PM
May 2019
Never, NEVER try and compare someone else’s pain or try to put it in “the grand scheme of things” (ie: there are way worse things and horrible things going on out there so why should people feel upset about this) That’s not how It works. What is “bad”, “worse”, “depressing” etc is all subjective. Everyone suffers and deals with pain differently.
Dec 14, 2019 7:09 AM

Nov 2007
Because of two scenes...
They misunderstood love confession & the suicide attemt. I never wanted to see a happy ending this bad.
Dec 20, 2019 9:29 PM
Aug 2019
You can't make art that appeals to everyone. This movie targets its demographic very well and creates a reaction.
Feb 29, 2020 11:56 PM
Oct 2019
Just because you were trying to find something wrong with this film the whole time ruining your experience of it doesn’t mean that no one else found it moving or sad. It seriously seems like you just read the summary of the movie without watching it and based this question off of that.
Apr 8, 2020 12:13 PM
Mar 2020
I didn't shed any tears in this movie, but I do get the warmth in the scenes. The sadness, hatred, surprised, But nothing really made me cry. I loved the heartwarming ending tho. Is that weird? Even in a lot of anime/movie that are "supposed to make people cry", I never really shed any tears lol
Apr 9, 2020 6:55 PM
Jun 2014
Wow. “Mature” enough to not cry and saying you understand life’s difficulties is legitimately the most immature thing you could say about this film. And saying you realized it’s a stupid post, it just comes off as you wanting to end the conversation because you don’t actually care. You lack compassion. You’re relating worse problems to less so when the truth of the matter is that everyone as their experiences. Their own demons. Their own hell. You should NEVER compare one persons struggles to another’s. Get your head out of your arse, senseless prick.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

257 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 3, 1:41 PM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.