Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Aug 29, 2017 3:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
“Nagaru Tanigawa needs to get off his ass and start writing Haruhi!”

Many of us thought this at one point, myself included, I am not going to lie; we all have no background knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes, so it is a perfectly jutifiable way of thinking. But today, I am here to present a few compelling pieces of evidence that suggests that believing Tanigawa is a slothful son of bitch is simply untrue.

I am going to speak on behalf of my knowledge of how the Suzumiya Haruhi series is written, based off what I know from the Anime, Manga, and the Light Novels, respectively. Hopefully with this knowledge, I can, not only figure out why Tanigawa hasn’t released any Light Novels in the last 6 years, but also get a vague idea of where he is going. I am doing this so I can finally settle the water with some fans that are angry, and, y’know, so I can say “I told you so” when the next light novel(s) eventually comes out. :P

1. What has been going on these last 6 years?

Let’s start off simple, as this is the burning question on everyone’s minds.

What could Tanigawa possibly be doing? Has he withdrawn himself from society? Has he become a Hikokomori, or a NEET, because he is too afraid of the pressures of the outside world, forcing him to make another novel in his mega popular series in Japan? Is he too busy playing RPGs? Or is he hitting it up with Togashi and Miura, celebrating how long all of them have been on Hiatus, and continue to troll their fanbases? Out of those 3 compelling possibilities, I would at least hope it is the third one… but none are likely to be true.

THE ANSWER:
He has been writing The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan.

Now hold your pitchforks, I know the hate this spin off gets, but there is a valid reason why I bring this up.

It is debatable how much of this spin-off is actually written by Tanigawa, after all, there are sites that seem to credit just Puyo *cough*MAL*cough*, but Tanigawa seems to be credited for the original story in both the anime, and on the manga’s cover... which I believe to be sufficient evidence to conclude that Tanigawa was involved in the project. That said, there are things about Nagato Yuki-chan that seem… weird.

So, why does it even exist? And why is it so… weird?

It is absloutely nothing like Haruhi, at least for the majority of the anime (I haven’t read the manga!), and the only resemblance of Haruhi’s appeal isn’t present until Kyon takes up the role of the sarcastic and snarky MC that we all know and love, which is about 10 - 13 episodes in depending on how you define Haruhi’s ‘appeal’. That said, there is a reason why Nagato Yuki-chan strayed away from said appeal.

It is both manga format and a romance between Yuki and Kyon, rather than a sci-fi light novel with hints of romance… thus, we can focus on how the new Yuki behaves in the alternative world, and how her character (that finally has been given a chance to breath), works into her relationship with Kyon.

This helps Tanigawa, since he is just coming up with the ideas that go on the paper, and he isn’t wasting his time on it. This way, he can work on his next Haruhi novel when he has the chance. Puyo and Noizi Ito can make do telling the story in their own way, while Tanigawa can work on Haruhi… which doesn’t actually answer our question.

2. What was Tanigawa trying to achieve by writing Nagato Yuki-chan?

Was it to satiate our hunger for more Haruhi? While he was in a writer’s block? Well if that's the case, it failed for most of us.

No. It was to experiment. With the one thing Haruhi lacks and has been steadily building up to-
ROMANCE


This might seem absurd to a few of you, so please hear me out.

There is no explicit romance in Haruhi, but even in Nagato Yuki-chan, where romance is technically the key aspect of the story, the romance can be considered watered down or dragged along for most of the beginning... However, Nagato Yuki-chan wasn’t just a bubbly slice of life that has a romantic plotline that may or may not go somewhere, it has many ties to The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya… thematically.

The biggest theme in the show (I haven’t read the manga!), was that Yuki needed the courage to make decisions on her own, and to take action in what she believes in. If we tie this in with an alternate ending to the Disappearance novel, where Kyon decides to stay instead of going back to Haruhi land; Yuki has had her wish fulfilled. But she doesn’t act on it whatsoever, even though it is right there, waiting to be taken. This even manifests itself in the form of the alternate Yuki, after Yuki almost gets hit by a car, she becomes traumatized and withdraws her personality, leaving Alternate Yuki to live her life for her, and ultimately, say the things she wanted to say for her.

Let me just say that I am not bringing up The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan so much because I want to talk about it in particular, I am bringing it up because understanding what Tanigawa has been doing these last 6 years has given us a good grasp of what Tanigawa has been thinking of lately, and where he plans to take Haruhi in his next volume.

Tanigawa is most likely trying to confront the romance between Haruhi and Kyon in a way that doesn't betray the appeal of Haruhi.

Like how Nagato Yuki-chan (kinda) did, or how most series do when they try to work in a juvenile romance in an otherwise entertaining series. Mostly a lot of cheesy moments or misunderstandings ensue, and we lose all interest.

3. The Writing of Haruhi Suzumiya

So let's dive into the build up, foreshadowing and hints within the main story of Haruhi that gives us a vague sense of where we are going:

The inner mechanics of Haruhi lore all serve to play directly into the titular character’s mental state or something that represents (or is of consequence to) said mental state at the time, and build off of each other as the lines between them meld into one another.

In release order:
Melancholy -> Sigh -> Boredom -> Disappearance -> Rampage -> Wavering -> Intrigues -> Indignation-> Dissociation -> Surprise

(I forgot to mention this all relates back to existentialism as the driving topic of discussion in Haruhi canon and why there is no solid theory for what Haruhi actually is.)

All of which, both fleshes out the lore and mechanics of Haruhi and puts the characters in interesting situations to define them. For example, in The Melancholy Novel, giant celestials tear down the inner fabric of the universe, thanks to her dissatisfaction with life, and they are only able to avoid the world from collapsing by kissing her. That is the most straightforward example and the one I want to highlight, as a direct contrast to the hypothetical novel.



In The Surprise Novel, Kyon is teleported into Haruhi’s room in the future, on the one-year anniversary of the SOS brigade, and not only that, but we get a glimpse into Haruhi and Kyon’s life in college. They were together and there’s a good chance they were a couple based on the way their short back and forth went… There's obviously a correlation...

It has basically been one year since Kyon met Haruhi and we still don’t know much about her before High School, or what her family life is like. She has forcefully invaded at least everyone’s life except for how everyone has some sort of superpower, but on the day of their 1-year anniversary, we just get a glimpse into Haruhi’s?

We really don’t know much about anyone’s lives before the SOS brigade! We know that Koizumi founded the agency, and built it from the ground up. We know Asahina is from an alternate timeline in the future, and we know that they all (Nagato included) worked together at some point. We don't even know anything about Kyon's life, not even his name!

4. My Prediction

The next novel is probably going to highly contrast the first novel. Thus, I looked up antonyms for the word “Melancholy”, and I think a good title that fits would be “The Elation of Haruhi Suzumiya” or “Suzumiya Haruhi no Yorokobi”.

I am willing to bet that this hypothetical novel is going to be somewhat darker in nature, maybe only as dark as Disappearance, or perhaps even darker. I think there will be a tangible (or not-so tangible) sense of fear that will be evoked, and I think this horror-like plot will be symbolic of Haruhi’s fear to both accept her own feelings as her own, and to let others into her life, even though she invades the lives and dignities of others like it’s no big deal.

As our mighty team of superheroes known as the SOS brigade try to solve it, more of their shared backstory may come to light, as well as Haruhi’s. I think the threat might have something to do with the Celestials or some kind of Mega- Time Travel/ Esper/ Alien war, as technically Koizumi declared war on the other factions to stay away from Haruhi, which might be more of an exhilarating fear rather than a horrific one. (Looking back, this would probably be the route Haruhi would take...)


By the end of this novel, or multi-novel ark (depending on where he takes it), Haruhi and Kyon will end up together and the rest of the SOS brigade will share some kind of comradery or friendship, but under no circumstances, do I believe this will be the last novel in the series. If the Monogatari series, Girl Friends or Berserk has taught me anything, the story only gets more interesting when a relationship is added to the mix.

There can still be interesting and exciting adventures to behold when you are doing it with someone. The ending to this novel will probably be one where Haruhi and Kyon being together makes the story move forward at a quicker pace, more new and exciting things will come of it, and even as their stories become more intertwined, the need to fantasize about Time Travelers, Espers and Aliens doesn’t need to go.



Haruhi (as a series) is the perfect mix of childhood fantasies and reality; abandoning one or the other would be as ludicrous as some of the things that Haruhi (herself) comes up with. There isn’t a need to stop dreaming about fantastical things, but reality can be interesting too. That is why we love Haruhi for all of its contrived-meta-psycho-analytical-insane-clusterf*ck-goddamnitjustdoyourfreakinghomework- plotline.

And that’s not easy to pull off. That is why the wait is so long. The Surprise ark had this same problem (not with its narrative, but with its wait time), it had to find a way to pull off this war between Sasaki’s faction and Haruhi’s in a way that still felt like the rest of the series, and splice it together with an alternate timeline that acts as a Deus ex Machina while still making sense in its canon, AND IT WAS BRILLIANT.


But it is still not as hard as pulling off a good romance, especially when you have no experience.

I can tell you as a writer myself (although still a beginner) that writing a good romance is tricky, because there is more to it than just blushes and crushes. Everything needs to mean something, and there are many obstacles to face, and only once you reach a logical conclusion to said obstacles, can you justify the 2 getting together. That is, without it feeling forced or tacked on, unless that’s the point, in which case the relationship is doomed to fail, and probably the series as well.

I am assuming we don’t want that to happen.

P.S. If it is as short as the Disappearance novel can we get another movie after S3 plz

5. Nagaru Tanigawa

I think it is finally time to go back to the root of why everyone is waiting, and hopefully we can understand a little bit about him.



In short, Tanigawa isn’t going to abandon us any time soon, and I certainly don’t think he is underproductive. If he got bored of Haruhi, there would be no chance he wrote it, because under the surface level, he puts all his life and soul into it. He stresses details like no other, constantly making sure everything is explainable, and always makes sure the story is tight and consistent, which makes it even more fun when things are thrown together seemingly non-sensical. The man is meticulous and a bonafide perfectionist, and whenever he writes his stories, there is always a direct parallel to real life. Grounding it either in sarcastic commentary, or situational bias.

I hope I shed a little light about what’s gong on behind the scenes, even if I technically have no concrete evidence, just speculation, to support it. And even though I made this elaborate prediction, I hope, at least to some degree, that I am wrong and Tanigawa will pull something else out of his metaphorical hat and give me something even better than what I suggested! Like giving us Kyon’s name, perhaps…?

Until then!

Sincerely,
Draconix814

(P.S. NHK has been reairing the anime since April, so maybe we might hear an announcement of some sort for 2017. Which isn't too odd, considering Nagato Yuki-chan stopped publishing last year, after its run since 2009.)
(P.P.S. I think the series is going to end in college, whenever current Kyon teleported to. Just saying.)
Modified by Draconix814, Feb 22, 9:17 AM
 
#2
Sep 8, 2017 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
EDIT (9-8-17)

These are panels from The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan manga that prove a few of my points:


These panels show us, at the very least, that Nagaru Tanigawa is hinting at Haruhi's home life, and honestly, it seems dark the way it is presented. For instance, why is her mother's sense of taste "off", and why is Haruhi hiding her face when she says "Mom"? It sounds like something happened to make her sense of taste like that, and I am assuming that its family issues. Like what if her father is/ was abusive, and that caused her mother to get injured? We know she's still alive, because she says it in the present form, but not much is known beyond that.



The only real backstory that we have for Haruhi (in the LN series) is the baseball game 4 years ago (depending on when you are in the story) that made her feel insignificant due to the sheer number of people that attended. So it begs the question, can that one revelation really cause Haruhi's entire life to turn around... or was there more to it?
Whatever it is, I believe it plays a big part in her attitude towards life, most likely as an escape from her home life, or some other reason we have yet to see.
Modified by Draconix814, Sep 8, 2017 12:40 PM
 
#3
Sep 13, 2017 11:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
Stumbled across this and registered just to reply. I find your theory compelling. I haven't watched the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato anime, but I remember reading the manga years ago and enjoying it.

I also think you're right about the potential direction of the main Haruhi series, and how good it could be if Tanigawa writes it well. If you've never read the fanfiction Kyon: Big Damn Hero, I think it provides an excellent example of just what kind of potential that has, as it hits several of those notes (among many other things).
 
#4
Sep 14, 2017 1:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
Eamil said:
Stumbled across this and registered just to reply. I find your theory compelling. I haven't watched the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato anime, but I remember reading the manga years ago and enjoying it.

I also think you're right about the potential direction of the main Haruhi series, and how good it could be if Tanigawa writes it well. If you've never read the fanfiction Kyon: Big Damn Hero, I think it provides an excellent example of just what kind of potential that has, as it hits several of those notes (among many other things).

I am honored that you created an account to reply to my theory, I really, really appreciate it!

Honestly, I don't think I would have thought of this theory if it weren't for my equally crazed obsessions with the titles above, especially the Monogatari series, and the similarities they share with Haruhi, along with a currently airing anime this season, Gamers!, made me realize that the main characters forming a relationship might actually be starting to become a trend. If I know anything about how the plotlines of Haruhi have been effected in relation to the times, it seems whenever a trend slowly starts to take root in anime, Nagaru Tanigawa integrates his own spin on it into Haruhi, like how Disappearance is essentially an isekai novel in reverse, and it was written before the "isekai" genre really made a name for itself. Of course, I think Nagaru Tanigawa will reference and integrate more anime trends as a means to flesh out that the romance in the new novel like previous novels, such as a few scenarios mentioned above.

If you've read the short story Nagaru Tanigawa wrote in 2013 for Haruhi, you can see that there is much more romantic tension between Haruhi and Kyon than even the latest full novel.

Anyways, I really hope this reply gets to you, I thank you for liking what I had to say, and if you plan to be a regular here on MAL, I hope you enjoy your stay!
Modified by Draconix814, Sep 14, 2017 2:59 PM
 
#5
Sep 15, 2017 7:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1411
Are there big differences between the manga and the novel? I loved the manga and I'm thinking of reading the ln series since the beginning.

I loved your theories cause I'm still waiting for their romance.
 
#6
Sep 15, 2017 11:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
OrangeLemoon said:
Are there big differences between the manga and the novel? I loved the manga and I'm thinking of reading the ln series since the beginning.

I loved your theories cause I'm still waiting for their romance.

Quite honestly, I couldn't fully tell you the differences between the 2 versions because I haven't read past the Disappearance novel, not because I don't want to, but because I can't buy the rest of the novels (only 2 left) for a reasonable price. My theory is pretty much based on the manga, the few novels I did read, some skimming through the other novels, and Nagato Yuki-chan.

From what I have read, however, I think the manga just doesn't convey the same feeling, nor does it flow as well as the novels, and it really lacks Tanigawa's meticulous detail he puts into describing everything. The first volume of the manga has a short excerpt of the novel in the back, I recommend reading that if you haven't already. That was enough to convince me to spend most of my life savings on whatever I can get my hands on.

And I am really glad you appreciated my theory!
Modified by Draconix814, Sep 15, 2017 1:37 PM
 
#7
Sep 15, 2017 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1411
Draconix814 said:
OrangeLemoon said:
Are there big differences between the manga and the novel? I loved the manga and I'm thinking of reading the ln series since the beginning.

I loved your theories cause I'm still waiting for their romance.

Quite honestly, I couldn't fully tell you the differences between the 2 versions because I haven't read past the Disappearance novel, not because I don't want to, but because I can't buy the rest of the novels (only 2 left) for a reasonable price. My theory is pretty much based on the manga, the few novels I did read, some skimming through the other novels, and Nagato Yuki-chan.

From what I have read, however, I think the manga just doesn't convey the same feeling, nor does it flow as well as the novels, and it really lacks Tanigawa's meticulous detail he puts into describing everything. The first volume of the manga has a short excerpt of the novel in the back, I recommend reading that if you haven't already. That was enough to convince me to spend most of my life savings on whatever I can get my hands on.

And I am really glad you appreciated my theory!


I'm going to read it then. If only there's a bookstore here that sells Haruhi novels.
 
#8
Sep 15, 2017 4:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
@OrangeLemoon Good Luck! (I got mine online)
 
#9
Sep 17, 2017 10:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 791
Never really tried this series, but all this makes me slightly interested,
so the question is,
is reading this series really worth my time?
to me it looks like youre a huge fan so i feel like you'd give me a good answer on why i should try this series,
also dont mind spoilers if you were gonna use any, i love spoilers, spoilers make me interested
 
Sep 18, 2017 12:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
BlackFIFA19 said:
Never really tried this series, but all this makes me slightly interested,
so the question is,
is reading this series really worth my time?
to me it looks like youre a huge fan so i feel like you'd give me a good answer on why i should try this series,
also dont mind spoilers if you were gonna use any, i love spoilers, spoilers make me interested

I happen to think this forum I created is already dense with spoilers, similarly, I didn't warn anyone about spoilers because I think that Haruhi is a series whose plot details don't really matter on a surface level. It's all because the main appeal of this series is both the attitude it sets forth and how relatable it is, and the things that happen only serve to enhance the experience of what is going on, and to expand on its themes of existentialism and whatnot.

Putting that aside, I will say to you that, judging from the series you like (Steins;Gate, Code Geass, Bakemonogatari etc.), I think you will fully enjoy reading/ watching this series, whichever you decide to do first.
 
Sep 18, 2017 12:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 791
Draconix814 said:
BlackFIFA19 said:
Never really tried this series, but all this makes me slightly interested,
so the question is,
is reading this series really worth my time?
to me it looks like youre a huge fan so i feel like you'd give me a good answer on why i should try this series,
also dont mind spoilers if you were gonna use any, i love spoilers, spoilers make me interested

I happen to think this forum I created is already dense with spoilers, similarly, I didn't warn anyone about spoilers because I think that Haruhi is a series whose plot details don't really matter on a surface level. It's all because the main appeal of this series is both the attitude it sets forth and how relatable it is, and the things that happen only serve to enhance the experience of what is going on, and to expand on its themes of existentialism and whatnot.

Putting that aside, I will say to you that, judging from the series you like (Steins;Gate, Code Geass, Bakemonogatari etc.), I think you will fully enjoy reading/ watching this series, whichever you decide to do first.


Well i guess ill give the series a try somewhere in the near future then, thank you for your time
 
Sep 22, 2017 9:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Just one more who signed just to reply this one :)

I really want to believe in your theory and sincerely hope that Tanigawa finishes that story before I (or he) die (kind of morbid).

But I agree with you about the romance problem on Haruhi. The characters are so unlike it.

Kyon for example could be lying to us all the time, or is he really not interested in Haruhi at all? (Hate this guy :), he kinda resembles me with his immaturity and oblivouness)

Haruhi is another character who has difficulties with the romance theme. I wrote some fictions on my free time and that couple really bugs me. Its damn difficulty to bring those guys together without betrays some of their appeals as you said…

Anyway, everything (in Haruhi’s novels, I haven’t seen the anime or manga) seems to lead the formation of Kyon and Haruhi couple.

When I read some novels back then I started to kind of doubt this, but Surprise practically brought that conclusion to reality.

It’s a huge challenge and really hope that Tanigawa could bring a conclusion to this story.

I started to read Haruhi’s novels back in 2004, it has now been 13 years since…I mean wow that’s the longest and most slow romance of the history hands down :)
 
Sep 22, 2017 10:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
@marcjunpei

Wow, thanks, I never imagined so many people (or even one person) would sign up just to reply back to this theory! :) I am also impressed by how long you've been reading the Light Novels, and I find it (ironically) funny how you also wrote some fanfics of Haruhi and Kyon, like I am (kind of) doing right now. While I agree that the romance is long, there are probably more drawn out romances out there both in terms of total voulmes it takes for them to hook up and release schedule, but as long as the romance is done properly, I am fine with it.

Same with the other guy, thank you very much, and if you plan to be a regular here on MAL, I hope you enjoy your stay!
 
Sep 22, 2017 10:59 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 826
Meh, assuming this is true, I 'd still prefer more volumes with an ok romantic development instead of waiting years in the hope the author could pull the most outtstanding love sstory ever written. Especially since romance has never been the most compelling factor for reading haruhi.
I think he ran out of ideas and doesn't know how to conclude his own story. I'm hoping I'm wrong because I'd loe to read more of Haruhi, but I don't have many hopes.
 
Sep 22, 2017 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
Lex1979 said:
Meh, assuming this is true, I 'd still prefer more volumes with an ok romantic development instead of waiting years in the hope the author could pull the most outtstanding love sstory ever written. Especially since romance has never been the most compelling factor for reading haruhi.
I think he ran out of ideas and doesn't know how to conclude his own story. I'm hoping I'm wrong because I'd loe to read more of Haruhi, but I don't have many hopes.

http://haruhi.wikia.com/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya_Light_Novel

This proves you wrong for you:
"The last published novel was The Surprise. However, in The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya, Tanigawa indicated he is writing at least one more novel, stating 'The plot is done, but I've not been able to write it down yet. I'm in the middle of writing it and sending it away….'"

I was shocked when I read this just recently, but it still fits in line with my theory for the most part.
 
Sep 22, 2017 11:42 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 826
Draconix814 said:
Lex1979 said:
Meh, assuming this is true, I 'd still prefer more volumes with an ok romantic development instead of waiting years in the hope the author could pull the most outtstanding love sstory ever written. Especially since romance has never been the most compelling factor for reading haruhi.
I think he ran out of ideas and doesn't know how to conclude his own story. I'm hoping I'm wrong because I'd loe to read more of Haruhi, but I don't have many hopes.

http://haruhi.wikia.com/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya_Light_Novel

This proves you wrong for you:
"The last published novel was The Surprise. However, in The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya, Tanigawa indicated he is writing at least one more novel, stating 'The plot is done, but I've not been able to write it down yet. I'm in the middle of writing it and sending it away….'"

I was shocked when I read this just recently, but it still fits in line with my theory for the most part.
I don't know if knowing that there is a plot for another novel makes me happier or angrier. Still, thanks for pointing that out to me.
 
Sep 25, 2017 9:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Lex1979 said:
Meh, assuming this is true, I 'd still prefer more volumes with an ok romantic development instead of waiting years in the hope the author could pull the most outtstanding love sstory ever written. Especially since romance has never been the most compelling factor for reading haruhi.
I think he ran out of ideas and doesn't know how to conclude his own story. I'm hoping I'm wrong because I'd loe to read more of Haruhi, but I don't have many hopes.


In my opinion Haruhi are written to be a romance of some sort. I mean, Melancholy is entirely founded in jealousy what is calmed down by a kiss. Other novels always had a slightly hit of Haruhi and Kyon ship (from both sides)…

But I think if romance is too direct Tanigawa can’t along the story. So he started to slow the pace of romance and focused in a sci-fi and friendship approach and that’s probably the reason that he can’t finish the story.

Haruhi and Kyon are practically transformed in monks (even for Japanese shounen romantic approach) and it’s too difficult to fix this.

I’ve been thinking but if I’d make a guess of the Haruhi total schematic it would be more or less like this:

1 – Haruhi meets Kyon
2 – Haruhi fall in love with Kyon being too immature to see that or even to admit it
3 – Kyon slowly falls for Haruhi –insert here tons of history which could lead to that-
4 – Kyon ponders about being coerced to love Haruhi or if he really likes her with his free will.

From here we have two options:

1 – Bring a drastic situation where Haruhi or Kyon confesses love and Haruhi uses and lose her powers (Most probably)
2 – Bring a non-drastic situation where Kyon or Haruhi realize their feelings and she loses her power (Near impossible)

Anyway it inspired me to write a fic that could complete the Light Novels. It probably will take some time but I hope to figure out the reason of Tanigawa’s hiatus…
 
Sep 25, 2017 11:24 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 826
marcjunpei said:
Lex1979 said:
Meh, assuming this is true, I 'd still prefer more volumes with an ok romantic development instead of waiting years in the hope the author could pull the most outtstanding love sstory ever written. Especially since romance has never been the most compelling factor for reading haruhi.
I think he ran out of ideas and doesn't know how to conclude his own story. I'm hoping I'm wrong because I'd loe to read more of Haruhi, but I don't have many hopes.


In my opinion Haruhi are written to be a romance of some sort. I mean, Melancholy is entirely founded in jealousy what is calmed down by a kiss. Other novels always had a slightly hit of Haruhi and Kyon ship (from both sides)…

But I think if romance is too direct Tanigawa can’t along the story. So he started to slow the pace of romance and focused in a sci-fi and friendship approach and that’s probably the reason that he can’t finish the story.

Haruhi and Kyon are practically transformed in monks (even for Japanese shounen romantic approach) and it’s too difficult to fix this.

I’ve been thinking but if I’d make a guess of the Haruhi total schematic it would be more or less like this:

1 – Haruhi meets Kyon
2 – Haruhi fall in love with Kyon being too immature to see that or even to admit it
3 – Kyon slowly falls for Haruhi –insert here tons of history which could lead to that-
4 – Kyon ponders about being coerced to love Haruhi or if he really likes her with his free will.

From here we have two options:

1 – Bring a drastic situation where Haruhi or Kyon confesses love and Haruhi uses and lose her powers (Most probably)
2 – Bring a non-drastic situation where Kyon or Haruhi realize their feelings and she loses her power (Near impossible)

Anyway it inspired me to write a fic that could complete the Light Novels. It probably will take some time but I hope to figure out the reason of Tanigawa’s hiatus…
Yeah, romance is definitely an element of the story. I even consider it an harem, since in my opinion all the main female cast have some attraction towards Kyon.
I think we are already at the point in which haruhi and Kyon have feelings for each other, but they are unaware/don't want to admit. Given their personality I agree with you that for a confession the most probable situation is a dramatic event. I can see haruhi losing control of her power (for anger, sadness, jealousy?) and Kyon revealing his identity as John Smith, leading to the confession between the tow.
I hope tanigawa will give us the chance to see if our guesses are right.
Ah, count me interested if you ever manage to write your fanfic.
 
Nov 2, 2017 2:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 610
Its game over guys....GIVE UP!

Its like waiting for High school of the dead ending to come...
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
 
Nov 2, 2017 3:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
HueyLion said:
Its game over guys....GIVE UP!

Its like waiting for High school of the dead ending to come...

We haven't got any notice saying "Nagaru Tanigawa dies from ischemic heart disease", so the little optimism and hope left in us is still staying strong!!! At least for me, that is...

I don't particularly identify as an optimist, nor do I believe myself to be an idealist, so when I say that I believe Nagaru Tanigawa will come back with another novel one day, it isn't just wishful thinking. I am a pragmatist, first and foremost, so given the evidence I presented in this forum, I still believe that there is a chance. Now if someone told me this another few years from now, I'd be inclined to believe them, but with our current knowledge of events, it doesn't seem impractical to assume that Nagaru Tanigawa is simply taking his time making sure he continues (or ends) his much beloved series in a satisfactory way.

In between the Dissocation and Surprise Novels, there was a 4-year gap in releases, though this time around it has taken him 6 years, and we still don't have a word, it isn't too far a jump just yet to assume he has died in a car crash, or has simply given up. He already told his fans in The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya that he had an ending in mind, but he wasn't comfortable writing it down yet, which means that there were plans in place to finish it eventually. Considering his personality, I believe this is simply a case of him trying to get it right, and him obsessing over it until he does.
 
Jan 3, 12:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1332
Why do you think that writing a yuki spinoff with romance will result in haruhi and kyon ending up together?
garbage character list:

rem
shirou
white hair kid from death note
----------------------------------------------
garbage anime list:

bnha -> how can something be so overrated jfc?
all 3 fate stay night routes /nasuverse is overall shit
 
Jan 3, 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
ImAWeebUwU said:
Why do you think that writing a yuki spinoff with romance will result in haruhi and kyon ending up together?

Before I answer this, have you ever watched/read this series? Because your list sure doesn't say that you did, and the way you're wording your question, makes it sound like you have little knowledge of the material.

To answer your question, writing the Nagato Yuki-chan spinoff won't "result in" or "cause" the two main characters in the main series to get together, its because the author is trying to write romance into the main series, that the spinoff was born (or at least has a lot of romance in it past the halfway point). Or so my theory goes.
Think of it like this: A painter paints a lake with a boat, but halfway through it, he decides he also wants trees in the background. But the painter has never painted a tree before, at least not one that was good. The painter wants the piece to be perfect, so instead of ruining the painting with his inexperience, the painter decides to put down his piece, and in the meantime, learn how to paint a tree. The painter will return to the piece after his class is over.

That's basically the idea.
Modified by Draconix814, Jan 3, 12:38 PM
 
Jan 3, 12:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1332
Draconix814 said:
ImAWeebUwU said:
Why do you think that writing a yuki spinoff with romance will result in haruhi and kyon ending up together?

Before I answer this, have you ever watched/read this series? Because your list sure doesn't say that you did, and the way you're wording your question, makes it sound like you have little knowledge of the material.

To answer your question, writing the Nagato Yuki-chan spinoff won't "result in" or "cause" the two main characters in the main series to get together, its because the author is trying to write romance into the main series, that the spinoff was born (or at least has a lot of romance in it past the halfway point). Or so my theory goes.
Think of it like this: A painter paints a lake with a boat, but halfway through it, he decides he also wants trees in the background. But the painter has never painted a tree before, at least not one that was good. The painter wants the piece to be perfect, so instead of ruining the painting with his inexperience, the painter decides to put down his piece, and in the meantime, learn how to paint a tree. The painter will return to the piece after his class is over.

That's basically the idea.


Not yet, but it's on my ptw, so did some reseach on it before I start. I just saw some comments about kyon loving yuki, and then saw your post, and didn't get it how the spinoff will help to put romance to the main series.
garbage character list:

rem
shirou
white hair kid from death note
----------------------------------------------
garbage anime list:

bnha -> how can something be so overrated jfc?
all 3 fate stay night routes /nasuverse is overall shit
 
Jan 18, 8:51 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 42
you said that the author Janet l haven't write any LN for 6 years.so why is the last anime adaption was in 2015?i dont think japan are stupid enough to adapt a dead LN.
Guess there are still hope?

EDIT: I write "Janet I".it was a mistake with swipe keyboard
Modified by KazuXSora, Jan 18, 10:54 AM
Novel > Manga> Anime.
Anime is trash.So I am.
"Maintaining a harem was serious business"-Lyle Walt.
 
Jan 18, 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
KazuXSora said:
you said that the author Janet l haven't write any LN for 6 years.so why is the last anime adaption was in 2015?i dont think japan are stupid enough to adapt a dead LN.
Guess there are still hope?

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Would you elaborate?
 
Jan 18, 10:26 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 826
ImAWeebUwU said:
Why do you think that writing a yuki spinoff with romance will result in haruhi and kyon ending up together?
I have always viewed the spin off as the Nagato alternate route, so I think it's a pretty big hint that she won't be the winner in the main series.
KazuXSora said:
you said that the author Janet l haven't write any LN for 6 years.so why is the last anime adaption was in 2015?i dont think japan are stupid enough to adapt a dead LN.
Guess there are still hope?
What adaptation came out in 2015?
 
Jan 18, 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1332
Lex1979 said:
ImAWeebUwU said:
Why do you think that writing a yuki spinoff with romance will result in haruhi and kyon ending up together?
I have always viewed the spin off as the Nagato alternate route, so I think it's a pretty big hint that she won't be the winner in the main series.
KazuXSora said:
you said that the author Janet l haven't write any LN for 6 years.so why is the last anime adaption was in 2015?i dont think japan are stupid enough to adapt a dead LN.
Guess there are still hope?
What adaptation came out in 2015?


That's good to hear, because she looks like someone I would dislike lol.
garbage character list:

rem
shirou
white hair kid from death note
----------------------------------------------
garbage anime list:

bnha -> how can something be so overrated jfc?
all 3 fate stay night routes /nasuverse is overall shit
 
Jan 18, 10:55 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 42
Lex1979 said:
ImAWeebUwU said:
Why do you think that writing a yuki spinoff with romance will result in haruhi and kyon ending up together?
I have always viewed the spin off as the Nagato alternate route, so I think it's a pretty big hint that she won't be the winner in the main series.
KazuXSora said:
you said that the author Janet l haven't write any LN for 6 years.so why is the last anime adaption was in 2015?i dont think japan are stupid enough to adapt a dead LN.
Guess there are still hope?
What adaptation came out in 2015?
The disappearance of nagato yukki chan

Draconix814 said:
KazuXSora said:
you said that the author Janet l haven't write any LN for 6 years.so why is the last anime adaption was in 2015?i dont think japan are stupid enough to adapt a dead LN.
Guess there are still hope?

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Would you elaborate?
sry i made some mistake while typing
so yeah....
Modified by KazuXSora, Jan 18, 10:59 AM
Novel > Manga> Anime.
Anime is trash.So I am.
"Maintaining a harem was serious business"-Lyle Walt.
 
Jan 18, 10:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
ImAWeebUwU said:


That's good to hear, because she looks like someone I would dislike lol.

Did you just say something about my Yuki?!?! Heh, just wait till you see what she's about.

Lex1979 said:
I have always viewed the spin off as the Nagato alternate route, so I think it's a pretty big hint that she won't be the winner in the main series.

Wait, you didn't get tipped off by Haruhi's name being in the freaking title??? Jk
But I don't think of Nagato Yuki-chan as an alternative route per say, I mean you're going under the assumption that Nagato had, or even wanted a "chance" in the main series. I think Tanigawa and Puyo sat down, looked at the Disappearance Novel and said "we can do something with this", and used as a means to keep us entertained for 7 years. I think Nagato Yuki-chan was more of a way to express a different side of Yuki's character than anything else.
 
Jan 18, 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
KazuXSora said:
Lex1979 said:
I have always viewed the spin off as the Nagato alternate route, so I think it's a pretty big hint that she won't be the winner in the main series.
What adaptation came out in 2015?
The disappearance of nagato yukki chan

Draconix814 said:

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Would you elaborate?
sry i made some mistake while typing
so yeah....

Still, I have no clue what you are saying. Would you mind explaining what you mean?
 
Jan 18, 11:07 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 42
Draconix814 said:
KazuXSora said:
The disappearance of nagato yukki chan

sry i made some mistake while typing
so yeah....

Still, I have no clue what you are saying. Would you mind explaining what you mean?
There was an adaption of The disappearance of nagaro yukki chan in 2015 right?so im saying that studios wont adapt it if haruhi was dead.Thats why there are still hope that the author will come back.
Novel > Manga> Anime.
Anime is trash.So I am.
"Maintaining a harem was serious business"-Lyle Walt.
 
Jan 18, 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
KazuXSora said:
Draconix814 said:

Still, I have no clue what you are saying. Would you mind explaining what you mean?
There was an adaption of The disappearance of nagaro yukki chan in 2015 right?so im saying that studios wont adapt it if haruhi was dead.Thats why there are still hope that the author will come back.

True, Haruhi's fandom is still alive, but Nagato Yuki-chan was adapted because it was the only thing actively publishing at the time in the franchise. I don't want to say anything else on the future of Haruhi as a franchise, but the last main series novel was released in 2011, and the final chapter of the Nagato Yuki-chan manga came out in 2016. What I am saying saying is that studio Satelight adapting Nagato Yuki-chan really doesn't indicate how "alive" the main series is, but now that Nagato Yuki-chan has ended, we can only hope Tanigawa is focusing all his attention on Haruhi.
 
Jan 18, 12:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1746
the ln for haruhi is boring imo, i really hope it gets a s3.
Edward Elric > your waifu

 
Jan 18, 1:13 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 826
ImAWeebUwU said:


That's good to hear, because she looks like someone I would dislike lol.
In truth I also don't like her too much...I would have preferred a spin off about Mikuru.
Draconix814 said:

Wait, you didn't get tipped off by Haruhi's name being in the freaking title??? Jk
But I don't think of Nagato Yuki-chan as an alternative route per say, I mean you're going under the assumption that Nagato had, or even wanted a "chance" in the main series. I think Tanigawa and Puyo sat down, looked at the Disappearance Novel and said "we can do something with this", and used as a means to keep us entertained for 7 years. I think Nagato Yuki-chan was more of a way to express a different side of Yuki's character than anything else.
Well, it makes me a bit ashamed but when I started reading Haruhi I wasn't so accustomed with the tropes like I am now, so Kyon acting all dere towards Mikuru and Nagato and tisun towards Haruhi could have meant to me that he wasn't going to end with the latter. Ah, the ingenuity of a (not quite) young man...
Regarding Nagato, actually I think all the girls have feelings for Kyon, there were hints during the series, so it makes sense that they took the opportunity to try a different genre, make some money, and give her her happy ending.
 
Jan 18, 2:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 677
Have you read the novels? I wonder if he wrote himself into a hole or something.
 
Jan 18, 2:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
Tapertrain said:
Have you read the novels? I wonder if he wrote himself into a hole or something.

I've read up to Disappearance, and I can't read more until I get Rampage and Dissociation. That said, I have read the manga, so I know what happens. If the hole is romance, then yes.
 
Jan 19, 1:40 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 826
Tapertrain said:
Have you read the novels? I wonder if he wrote himself into a hole or something.
It could be. After the last volume is difficult to imagine what could be a difficult situation for the brigade given the abilities he gave to Haruhi. He could go back to comedy, but and ending without a big dramatic arc would be totally anticlimatic. Unless, of course, we already had the big dramatic arc and what is left is a final volume to wrap up things.
 
Feb 17, 10:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 48
Draconix814 said:
“Suzumiya Haruhi no Yorokobi”.

That's not a 2字熟語, so no.
 
Feb 18, 4:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
S-Word said:
Draconix814 said:
“Suzumiya Haruhi no Yorokobi”.

That's not a 2字熟語, so no.

Yeah, I can totally read that and get what you're saying. -_-
 
Feb 18, 10:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 48
Draconix814 said:
S-Word said:

That's not a 2字熟語, so no.

Yeah, I can totally read that and get what you're saying. -_-

If you can't, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to write titles in a language you admit you don't understand.
 
Feb 19, 7:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
S-Word said:
Draconix814 said:

Yeah, I can totally read that and get what you're saying. -_-

If you can't, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to write titles in a language you admit you don't understand.

I am willing to understand if you explain it to me.
 
Mar 20, 11:27 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 10
Still nothing feelsbadman
 
May 13, 7:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 3606
Draconix814 said:

It is debatable how much of this spin-off is actually written by Tanigawa, after all, there are sites that seem to credit just Puyo *cough*MAL*cough*, but Tanigawa seems to be credited for the original story in both the anime, and on the manga’s cover... which I believe to be sufficient evidence to conclude that Tanigawa was involved in the project. That said, there are things about Nagato Yuki-chan that seem… weird.


There is a lot of things wrong in this paragraph that I need to point out. You are right that it is virtually impossible to tell how much of the spin-off is influenced by Tanigawa, but the preponderance of the evidence points to Tanigawa having almost no influence in it. Any spin-off manga of any form will always credit the author of the original work. That is why every Madoka Magical manga credits Magica Quartet, even though reading Kazumi Magica shows serious miscommunication between the author Takashi Tensugi and Magica Quartet that created the franchise; fundamental aspects of the Madoka Magica universe are different such as witches. I also attended a panel at a convention that addressed such an issue. Takaaki Suzuki is on central committee that controls Strike Witches. Any Strike Witches work needs to be approved by that committee to be published. They set the parameters authors are allowed to work in, and review works when they are completed. An example of a parameter is that a character has to be a certain type, and the author can't deviate too much from the character guidelines. Beyond that, the author has complete freedom.

I personally feel The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is handled in a similar way. You can easily see that Puyo has a different vision of the characters, and his personal preferences come out in both Haruhi manga he has written. An example is that he really likes Nagato and Asakura, and both get featured more prominently than the other girls. It is important to recognize that the Nagato in his manga is pretty different than the Nagato written in the Disappearance novel. Puyo's work is closer fan fiction in the sense that Puyo writes what he wants than what Tanigawa wants, but that works considering Puyo is given an alternate universe to work with.

Manga writers going different directions than the light novels their story is based upon isn't new. Usually there are minor changes, but I have read some major changes. The most prominent example that comes to mind is the Oreimo.Sakura Ikeda decided to completely change the ending of the manga from the light novel. It is important to recognize that the most likely reason she had to change the ending is that the light novel ending wasn't that popular and her new ending looked like it would be.
 
May 13, 10:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
Phaetons_Folly said:
Draconix814 said:

It is debatable how much of this spin-off is actually written by Tanigawa, after all, there are sites that seem to credit just Puyo *cough*MAL*cough*, but Tanigawa seems to be credited for the original story in both the anime, and on the manga’s cover... which I believe to be sufficient evidence to conclude that Tanigawa was involved in the project. That said, there are things about Nagato Yuki-chan that seem… weird.


There is a lot of things wrong in this paragraph that I need to point out. You are right that it is virtually impossible to tell how much of the spin-off is influenced by Tanigawa, but the preponderance of the evidence points to Tanigawa having almost no influence in it. Any spin-off manga of any form will always credit the author of the original work. That is why every Madoka Magical manga credits Magica Quartet, even though reading Kazumi Magica shows serious miscommunication between the author Takashi Tensugi and Magica Quartet that created the franchise; fundamental aspects of the Madoka Magica universe are different such as witches. I also attended a panel at a convention that addressed such an issue. Takaaki Suzuki is on central committee that controls Strike Witches. Any Strike Witches work needs to be approved by that committee to be published. They set the parameters authors are allowed to work in, and review works when they are completed. An example of a parameter is that a character has to be a certain type, and the author can't deviate too much from the character guidelines. Beyond that, the author has complete freedom.

I personally feel The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is handled in a similar way. You can easily see that Puyo has a different vision of the characters, and his personal preferences come out in both Haruhi manga he has written. An example is that he really likes Nagato and Asakura, and both get featured more prominently than the other girls. It is important to recognize that the Nagato in his manga is pretty different than the Nagato written in the Disappearance novel. Puyo's work is closer fan fiction in the sense that Puyo writes what he wants than what Tanigawa wants, but that works considering Puyo is given an alternate universe to work with.

Manga writers going different directions than the light novels their story is based upon isn't new. Usually there are minor changes, but I have read some major changes. The most prominent example that comes to mind is the Oreimo.Sakura Ikeda decided to completely change the ending of the manga from the light novel. It is important to recognize that the most likely reason she had to change the ending is that the light novel ending wasn't that popular and her new ending looked like it would be.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you after reading the manga. I didn't read it before making the post, so I admit most of the point was based on conjecture. I hope it holds up in the end but I doubt it.
 
May 22, 6:26 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1
been years, I'm guessing within the neighborhood of 2020 would be the release of the next novel xD, BTW, have you read all the novels yet?
 
Aug 23, 1:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 205
There are a lot of reason to being hiatus, for example Shiden Kanzaki as an author of black bullet that being hiatus since 2014 with only 7 volume of the LN. But now, he is run a restaurant, he is surely abandon his job.
I dont know what the reason of Tanigawa being hiatus but, i hope it was a good reason to pause his job at Haruhi. AS your comment on Tanigawa page(https://myanimelist.net/people/2913/Nagaru_Tanigawa), that you said that he is now "Ishida Sui" as Tokyo Ghoul mangaka,then there is no more reason that his work at Haruhi still under hiatus considering TG:RE has been finished on July 5.


Modified by bondtux, Aug 23, 1:20 AM
The MC Guy Dont deserve the best Girl.
 
Aug 29, 4:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1066
bondtux said:
There are a lot of reason to being hiatus, for example Shiden Kanzaki as an author of black bullet that being hiatus since 2014 with only 7 volume of the LN. But now, he is run a restaurant, he is surely abandon his job.
I dont know what the reason of Tanigawa being hiatus but, i hope it was a good reason to pause his job at Haruhi. AS your comment on Tanigawa page(https://myanimelist.net/people/2913/Nagaru_Tanigawa), that you said that he is now "Ishida Sui" as Tokyo Ghoul mangaka,then there is no more reason that his work at Haruhi still under hiatus considering TG:RE has been finished on July 5.



Lol there's like no possibility that Ishida Sui and Tanigawa are the same person, I was just bored one night then saw holes in both their release dates that would conveniently fit together if the story were twisted enough just in case you took that seriously.

But yeah, we need to organize a witch hunt.
Modified by Draconix814, Aug 29, 4:38 AM
 
Aug 29, 11:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 205
Draconix814 said:

Lol there's like no possibility that Ishida Sui and Tanigawa are the same person, I was just bored one night then saw holes in both their release dates that would conveniently fit together if the story were twisted enough just in case you took that seriously.

But yeah, we need to organize a witch hunt.

Shit,i thought you were serious
The MC Guy Dont deserve the best Girl.
 
Top