Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

So why people consider Fate/Zero as the real Fate serie and other works beside that a fail of the franchise?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 31, 2017 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Aardwolf94 said:
Wasshio said:

You say that but then you KIND of ignore the fact that Zero has its own fair share of problems as well. It wasn't really believable but it is somewhat understandable because of Fate/stay Night's later parts.

I'm pretty sure Shirou being like that was intentional anyways, because Shirou took an ideal that wasn't his own, thus following said ideal in the war (even though the ideal is flawed because it isn't possible to save everyone) is more realistic than Kiritsugu's tbh. Because it fits with the age even, due to the nature as well at the age range he is at. At least imo.

I'm not even a big fan of Zero to be honest but just pointing my two cents here.

Never said F/Z was perfect and I obviously exaggerated the post since the other user was doing the same.

Also what do you mean its understandable by F/SN's later parts?

Anyway it being intentional doesn't make it any better and no I don't think Shirou is realistic at all. Most people wouldn't suddenly be so obsessed with someone's ideals, that he suffers PTSD of sorts from the fire event is understandable but the other part isn't. His stubborn "I know better and I'm 100% nice no matter what" personality feels like its taken straight out of the Shounen archtype

And Kiritsugu isn't exactly realistic but he is compelling and thats the difference between the two. His ideals are much more realistic (no shit you cant save everyone..) and his backstory makes me feel more invested in his character. Also like I said the ruthless and morally ambigious personality is refreshing to watch, there aren't many anime MC's like him.

Shirou is basically just a "faker" and naive as hell, his personality is annoying. Also his power ups are ridiculous and unlike Kiritsugu he never suffers for his ideals.

Well I meant more in UBW's route but it also shows from HF as well (as far as I'm aware of). Thing is, I can't really care for Kiritsugu by comparison when it came to his actions and the ideals either, it didn't really felt anything with the series at all.

And it's not really because compared to Shirou I can at least understand the situation, at least in my opinion, the biggest gripe for me for Fate/Zero was clearly its own writing, especially the execution. I don't like how that series executed that part and that mainly affected the appreciation I COULD have to Zero which affected the characters and their actions, components etc.

It affected most things the series was trying to deliver, and failed to deliver it properly where it can make me really appreciate what make those characters good, or even make me like those characters (I prefer characters than story but if a story affects my enjoyment towards the characters then its a big minus for me).

In Fate/stay Night I really didn't felt or had that issue since at that point I got more so the idea of the war in lesser time Zero took, and I thought the relationship between Rin/Shirou was nice. Not saying that for Kiritsugu and Irisviel's chemistry (iirc) was bad... but I couldn't really give two damns in the end by comparison.

I believe Zero has as much fault to be honest and well I don't neccesarily even think Zero is good by comparison to stay/Night (not saying that S/N is amazing, but I thought it was more satisfying) though I prefer other entries from the Fate anime available compared to these two. So.
Oct 31, 2017 1:55 PM

Apr 2015

I never said you called someone retarded. I said you called their logic retarded. However, you did call me "slow," which is basically the equivalent of calling me retarded on a lesser scale. Or are you going to say that never happened now lol?

So saying someone is being slow is calling them retarded now? Hmmm I see. Well that was not my point, my point of telling you were being slow is because you just kept coming with the "canon" part while something being canon or not has again, nothing to do with what I'm trying to ask here. If that was the case I'm pretty sure I would've mentioned that word in my first post.

So lets see. Core: "The basic or most important part; the crucial element or essence"

That's what I mean with core. And yes, I said before that I didn't thought that Zero doesn't enter on that part because is not the main part of the principal Fate series. Being their core "stopping the grail from activating or someone achieving to prevent a higher catastrophe".Depending of which part is, enter different elements that don't change this fact.

The individual core of Zero is "Battle Royale of Adults trying to win a grail that grants 'any' wish without knowing the consequences of it"

This is why I don't consider Zero the core of the main series. Because it has a different scenario and a different set.

Hence Zero ( again by my opinion ) is a bad way to criticize the whole concept of other Fate works.

And the core has nothing to do about being canon or official. Of course Zero is official, just like Carnival Phantasm is canon. Being from different universes doesn't take any canonical point from it.

...You answered this already. Other people answered this. And you called their logic retarded. And yes, you are expressing yourself terribly.

Uhm, I didn't answered this myself. If you say that then you're agreeing is because of fanboyism that is better than others?? Is that even logc?
Weird, I don't recall telling someone directly that their logic was retarded.
The only place I used that was to give an example of what I think it was wrong to use as a critic.

And okay, indeed is canon.
Oct 31, 2017 2:04 PM

Apr 2015
Aardwolf94 said:

Shirou is basically just a "faker" and naive as hell, his personality is annoying. Also his power ups are ridiculous and unlike Kiritsugu he never suffers for his ideals.

"He never suffers for his ideals."

Uhh yeah right. What do you think Archer is?
What about when Illya is killed by Gilgamesh? Apparently you think he didn't suffered because he was unable to do anything to save her?
What about when Fuji was kidnapped and he was giving his own arm to save her? Not only this but he used his own body to protect Rin against Saber attack? Isn't this suffering?
Isn't being unable to do anything considering that your ideals are to help someone no matter what a way of suffering?

Oct 31, 2017 2:07 PM

Oct 2017
Wasshio said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Never said F/Z was perfect and I obviously exaggerated the post since the other user was doing the same.

Anyway it being intentional doesn't make it any better and no I don't think Shirou is realistic at all. Most people wouldn't suddenly be so obsessed with someone's ideals, that he suffers PTSD of sorts from the fire event is understandable but the other part isn't. His stubborn "I know better and I'm 100% nice no matter what" personality feels like its taken straight out of the Shounen archtype

And Kiritsugu isn't exactly realistic but he is compelling and thats the difference between the two. His ideals are much more realistic (no shit you cant save everyone..) and his backstory makes me feel more invested in his character. Also like I said the ruthless and morally ambigious personality is refreshing to watch, there aren't many anime MC's like him.

Well I meant more in UBW's route but it also shows from HF as well (as far as I'm aware of). Thing is, I can't really care for Kiritsugu by comparison when it came to his actions and the ideals either, it didn't really felt anything with the series at all.

And it's not really because compared to Shirou I can at least understand the situation, at least in my opinion, the biggest gripe for me for Fate/Zero was clearly its own writing, especially the execution. I don't like how that series executed that part and that mainly affected the appreciation I COULD have to Zero which affected the characters and their actions, components etc.

It affected most things the series was trying to deliver, and failed to deliver it properly where it can make me really appreciate what make those characters good, or even make me like those characters (I prefer characters than story but if a story affects my enjoyment towards the characters then its a big minus for me).

In Fate/stay Night I really didn't felt or had that issue since at that point I got more so the idea of the war in lesser time Zero took, and I thought the relationship between Rin/Shirou was nice. Not saying that for Kiritsugu and Irisviel's chemistry (iirc) was bad... but I couldn't really give two damns in the end by comparison.

I believe Zero has as much fault to be honest and well I don't neccesarily even think Zero is good by comparison to stay/Night (not saying that S/N is amazing, but I thought it was more satisfying) though I prefer other entries from the Fate anime available compared to these two. So.

To each their own. I was invested in F/Z once the servants were summoned (until then the first episode was a bit tedious to get through no doubt). Kiritsugu's character was interesting from the beginning and I kept wondering what exactly happened with him that he became so ruthless and broken & the backstory episodes delivered there and really made me care for him.

In comparison I couldn't care less for Shirou and his naive ideals & annoying stubborn personality. He just seemed generic to me, his type is popular in anime and its milked to death (he is a bit better executed than most of them because of the whole fire past but still is obnoxious).

Then the romance with Rin honestly felt forced. The latter despite a promising start in the prologue was reduced to an annoying cliche tsundere and love interest. The constant "its not like I like you baka" got old real quick.

Oct 31, 2017 2:10 PM

Oct 2017
Veromaye said:
Aardwolf94 said:

"He never suffers for his ideals."

Uhh yeah right. What do you think Archer is?
What about when Illya is killed by Gilgamesh? Apparently you think he didn't suffered because he was unable to do anything to save her?
What about when Fuji was kidnapped and he was giving his own arm to save her? Not only this but he used his own body to protect Rin against Saber attack? Isn't this suffering?
Isn't being unable to do anything considering that your ideals are to help someone no matter what a way of suffering?

Archer doesn't count at all, he is just just future alternate self who is basically completely different.

Thats not suffering...he couldn't even try to save her since Rin held him back. If he tried and then was owned by Gil then that would have been satisfying and shown him how stupid his worldview/ideals are. But the next time they seriously meet (before that Gil just lets him go.. for weak ass reasons) he has already gotten such a ridiculous power up that he can defeat him..lol

No it isn't..Saber after some weird S&M shit from Casca was unharmed. There were literally no bad consequences from that. Him being a dumbass and constantly protecting people even though he wasn't capable was just stupid
Oct 31, 2017 2:14 PM

Apr 2015
Archer doesn't count at all

WEW LOL okay.
Oct 31, 2017 3:24 PM

Aug 2016
Veromaye said:
@SaigoKensei

Sorry, did you confused this thread with the ep 17 one?

Besides that, I think you're right, but as it also happened in Zero, they were trying to stop Guiles and Ryuunosuke because they discovered they were killing people just like Jack and Reika did.

So is not completely wrong that they're trying to stop this threat. About the trying to know who the masters are, well.. There's no master left to know or discover about.
The only thing that is stopping Shirou from using the Grail is killing the other servants that are left ¿?

But yeah I can't say is weird to get disappoint by Apo.

Nah, I didn't get confused, I was just adding my 2 cents as to why I at least considered this one fails in comparison.

The difference with Zero's situation is that that was a part of the war. Not random bs that went off topic.
"To be Great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SaigoKensei said:
My mistake was assuming they had the same amount of information I had..
Oct 31, 2017 7:08 PM
Mar 2013
Aardwolf94 said:
Wasshio said:

You say that but then you KIND of ignore the fact that Zero has its own fair share of problems as well. It wasn't really believable but it is somewhat understandable because of Fate/stay Night's later parts.

I'm pretty sure Shirou being like that was intentional anyways, because Shirou took an ideal that wasn't his own, thus following said ideal in the war (even though the ideal is flawed because it isn't possible to save everyone) is more realistic than Kiritsugu's tbh. Because it fits with the age even, due to the nature as well at the age range he is at. At least imo.

I'm not even a big fan of Zero to be honest but just pointing my two cents here.

He's 100% nice because helping others in need makes him happy. Why wouldn't you do things that make you happy? But that's the issue with his character, people normally find happiness in doing things for the sake of themselves, Shirou doesn't. When he practices magecraft he doesn't feel happiness in honing the skills for himself, he practices magecraft to be of use to other people. Rin pointed that out during episode 11 or 12.

You don't seem to understand Kerry and Shirou's ideals, they're the same, Shirou basically inherited his dream, they simply used different approaches and different methods of handling the approaches. Kerry killed his emotions during his killings, Shirou became clouded by his thoughts of powerlessness, coupled with his own selflessness, he sold his soul to the counter force in exchange for a miracle.

[/quote]

Archer doesn't count at all, he is just just future alternate self who is basically completely different.

Thats not suffering...he couldn't even try to save her since Rin held him back. If he tried and then was owned by Gil then that would have been satisfying and shown him how stupid his worldview/ideals are. But the next time they seriously meet (before that Gil just lets him go.. for weak ass reasons) he has already gotten such a ridiculous power up that he can defeat him..lol

No it isn't..Saber after some weird S&M shit from Casca was unharmed. There were literally no bad consequences from that. Him being a dumbass and constantly protecting people even though he wasn't capable was just stupid[/quote]

So you mean selling your soul to damnation for eternity isn't suffering?

Suffering from his own powerlessness of saving Illya from Gil counts. You have no idea how much Shirou wanted to jump in there and help Illya, Rin held him back because she's worried about his self destructive nature. Also did you not hear why Gil let them go? The heart was gonna go to shit, not that any of them were threats to him (no one was a threat to him even in Fate/Zero.) Oh man not this shit again about Shirou vs Gil later on.

Wow are you serious? If that's not suffering then what is?

SwiftKillaOct 31, 2017 7:18 PM
Oct 31, 2017 7:19 PM
Mar 2015
I haven't played the game but I thought the anime for Fate: Stay Night was garbage. The main character - Shirou was annoying and made me want to drop the show and I ended up dropping it. Fate Zero on the other hand was more interesting for me.

I don't care about Nasu or whatever he wanted to create. I am only interested on what entertained me. Fate Zero entertained me however Fate Stay Night made me feel like I wasted my time. It it was not the same as the author's vision I really don't care because I thought it was better.
Oct 31, 2017 7:35 PM

Oct 2017
Veromaye said:

WEW LOL okay.

Well he doesn't..he made different experiences along the way and changed completely. He is very different from the Shirou who is our MC. Counting him feels cheap to me, like it shows that Shirou isn't good enough to stand on his own so we have to count some future alternate version lol
Oct 31, 2017 7:42 PM

Oct 2017
SwiftKilla said:
Aardwolf94 said:

He's 100% nice because helping others in need makes him happy. Why wouldn't you do things that make you happy? But that's the issue with his character, people normally find happiness in doing things for the sake of themselves, Shirou doesn't. When he practices magecraft he doesn't feel happiness in honing the skills for himself, he practices magecraft to be of use to other people. Rin pointed that out during episode 11 or 12.

You don't seem to understand Kerry and Shirou's ideals, they're the same, Shirou basically inherited his dream, they simply used different approaches and different methods of handling the approaches. Kerry killed his emotions during his killings, Shirou became clouded by his thoughts of powerlessness, coupled with his own selflessness, he sold his soul to the counter force in exchange for a miracle.

No it isn't..Saber after some weird S&M shit from Casca was unharmed. There were literally no bad consequences from that. Him being a dumbass and constantly protecting people even though he wasn't capable was just stupid[/quote]

Suffering from his own powerlessness of saving Illya from Gil counts. You have no idea how much Shirou wanted to jump in there and help Illya, Rin held him back because she's worried about his self destructive nature. Also did you not hear why Gil let them go? The heart was gonna go to shit, not that any of them were threats to him (no one was a threat to him even in Fate/Zero.) Oh man not this shit again about Shirou vs Gil later on.

[/quote]

So? That doesn't make him more interesting to me instead its annoying since he is so naive. He acts reckless and stupid because of it...I'll take a compelling anti hero (with far more understandable motivations and goals) over that any day. Not to mention F/Z actually had a great ensemble cast, F/SN shafts most characters to focus on the MC and the latter still sucks.

Both wanted to be heroes of justice but Kerry realized soon that its not possible so he became ruthless and killed the minority to save the majority. Shirou is just nice and thinks he can save everyone and unlike Kerry he never had to make any hard choices so it feels hollow and doesn't have the same impact. I'm pretty sure if Shirou had to basically kill his loved one's to save innocents he would break and that would be it for his whole "hero of justice" bs.

Its a weak excuse, Gil could have easily killed them on his way out considering how powerful he is.

And no its not really suffering..he didn't go down and he barely knew her. Also what do you mean with this "So you mean selling your soul to damnation for eternity isn't suffering?"? I thought only Archer did that, not the Shirou we know
Aardwolf94Oct 31, 2017 7:48 PM
Oct 31, 2017 7:50 PM

Oct 2017
lequack said:
I haven't played the game but I thought the anime for Fate: Stay Night was garbage. The main character - Shirou was annoying and made me want to drop the show and I ended up dropping it. Fate Zero on the other hand was more interesting for me.

I don't care about Nasu or whatever he wanted to create. I am only interested on what entertained me. Fate Zero entertained me however Fate Stay Night made me feel like I wasted my time. It it was not the same as the author's vision I really don't care because I thought it was better.

You didn't miss anything of value, the second season is even worse than the first. Exactly, at the end of the day regarding anime thats the most important part: Being entertained and just like you for me F/SN was a huge disapppointment and I pretend the Fate series ended with F/Z's open but good ending
Oct 31, 2017 7:56 PM

Apr 2015
Aardwolf94 said:
Veromaye said:

WEW LOL okay.

Well he doesn't..he made different experiences along the way and changed completely. He is very different from the Shirou who is our MC. Counting him feels cheap to me, like it shows that Shirou isn't good enough to stand on his own so we have to count some future alternate version lol

Archer IS Shirou, no matter how you say he's not, no matter that you reject it. EMIYA is Shirou. That they have different experiences? Yes. But he's still Emiya Shirou that had the same ideal. The only different is that one is going to suffer less than another. If Shirou discovered a way to become something like Archer, he wouldn't hesitate of accepting the deal as long as he's able to protect or prevent people from suffering. The only thing that prevent this is their experiences from FSN. Heck I bet after all routes he still will suffer by his ideals.

The fact that you don't accept his suffering as real it's just because you hate the character.
Shirou could be suffering to the same level of Kiritsugu and you wouldn't accept it.
Who are you to say that the character not experienced a lot of suffering seeing those people dying and him being able to do nothing? Him believing that he shouldn't have survived?

Just because Kiritsugu had to kill his own father this means his suffering is more important, relevant or special?

But yeahhh whatever you say sir. As long as you're happy.
VeromayeOct 31, 2017 8:42 PM
Oct 31, 2017 9:30 PM

Oct 2017
Veromaye said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Archer IS Shirou, no matter how you say he's not, no matter that you reject it. EMIYA is Shirou. That they have different experiences? Yes. But he's still Emiya Shirou that had the same ideal. The only different is that one is going to suffer less than another. If Shirou discovered a way to become something like Archer, he wouldn't hesitate of accepting the deal as long as he's able to protect or prevent people from suffering. The only thing that prevent this is their experiences from FSN. Heck I bet after all routes he still will suffer by his ideals.

The fact that you don't accept his suffering as real it's just because you hate the character.
Shirou could be suffering to the same level of Kiritsugu and you wouldn't accept it.
Who are you to say that the character not experienced a lot of suffering seeing those people dying and him being able to do nothing? Him believing that he shouldn't have survived?

Just because Kiritsugu had to kill his own father this means his suffering is more important, relevant or special?

He is not the Shirou we follow, he isn't the MC. He is an alternate future self who is basically a very different character because of the experiences he made.

No its because apart from the fire (which I accept 100%) his "suffering" is a joke. Kiritsugu's whole home town was destroyed because he didn't have what it takes, he killed his father, he killed his "mother", he caused 500 innocent people to die, his wife died, he never saw his daughter again, the grail cursed him so he died early and became weak etc.

Its not even close. And I'm not saying every character needs to suffer but to even compare these two and call Shirou's fine life suffering sounds a like bullshit to me. So hell yes Kiritsugu's suffering is more relevant and special.

Shirou never had to make any hard choices and apart from Illya dying (who he didnt even know unlike in the Deen adaptation) nothing bad happened to him in both anime, despite how reckless and naive he was. He almost lost Saber, Taiga etc. but it was just almost.

Aardwolf94Oct 31, 2017 9:42 PM
Oct 31, 2017 11:18 PM

Jul 2017
Aardwolf94 said:
Veromaye said:

He is not the Shirou we follow, he isn't the MC. He is an alternate future self who is basically a very different character because of the experiences he made.

No its because apart from the fire (which I accept 100%) his "suffering" is a joke. Kiritsugu's whole home town was destroyed because he didn't have what it takes, he killed his father, he killed his "mother", he caused 500 innocent people to die, his wife died, he never saw his daughter again, the grail cursed him so he died early and became weak etc.

Its not even close. And I'm not saying every character needs to suffer but to even compare these two and call Shirou's fine life suffering sounds a like bullshit to me. So hell yes Kiritsugu's suffering is more relevant and special.

Shirou never had to make any hard choices and apart from Illya dying (who he didnt even know unlike in the Deen adaptation) nothing bad happened to him in both anime, despite how reckless and naive he was. He almost lost Saber, Taiga etc. but it was just almost.

So... if Archer is an entirely different character than Shirou why does he want to prevent Shirou from repeating the same mistakes? If you're basing this “Archer isn't Shirou” thing based on personality then sure of course he's going to be a very different character ffs.

You might have gotten Fate Extra Archer Emiya mixed up with FSN Archer Emiya. Extra Archer is a different character because he doesn't remember shit, but FSN Archer is the same because he knows he's Emiya Shirou. So tell me, how is Archer not Shirou, how is Emiya Shirou not Emiya Shirou?

Veromaye said:

The only thing that prevent this is their experiences from FSN. Heck I bet after all routes he still will suffer by his ideals.
After all 3 routes of FSN Shirou has a next to nothing chance of being Archer
lazypigzOct 31, 2017 11:22 PM

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Oct 31, 2017 11:24 PM

Oct 2017
lazypigz said:
Aardwolf94 said:

So... if Archer is an entirely different character than Shirou why does he want to prevent Shirou from repeating the same mistakes? If you're basing this “Archer isn't Shirou” thing based on personality then sure of course he's going to be a very different character ffs.

You might have gotten Fate Extra Archer Emiya mixed up with FSN Archer Emiya. Extra Archer is a different character because he doesn't remember shit, but FSN Archer is the same because he knows he's Emiya Shirou. So tell me, how is Archer not Shirou, how is Emiya Shirou not Emiya Shirou?

I'm basing it on the personality and the difference in experiences. I think counting him to the shirou we know is cheap. They aren't exactly the same..not anymore

Oct 31, 2017 11:39 PM

Jul 2017
Aardwolf94 said:

I'm basing it on the personality and the difference in experiences. I think counting him to the shirou we know is cheap. They aren't exactly the same..not anymore

Only after FSN is Shirou not the same anymore though. But during FSN both Shirous should be the same because they have experienced the same things, holding the same ideals during the HGW?
If they're not the same then why does Shirou know Unlimited Blade Works, albeit with a different chant.

Basing it on personality seems like a weak point to argue about too.

Aardwolf94 said:

But he did hold his own against Archer and Gil in UBW, and if he was able to recreate Caliburn (or Excalibur, don't remember i'm mixing up with Fate Kaleid) in Saber route then he would be able to hold his own too
lazypigzOct 31, 2017 11:44 PM

Oct 31, 2017 11:46 PM

Oct 2017
ive watched zero, fsn, and ubw and a bit of prisma illya.

honestly loved all but prisma illya.

prisma illya, take moon, hallow atraxia, and colosseum seem to veer wildly away from anything related to fate apart from the reuse of some characters from what i've heard and seen for my self.
Oct 31, 2017 11:51 PM

Jul 2017
NekO_RelliK said:

prisma illya, take moon, hallow atraxia, and colosseum seem to veer wildly away from anything related to fate apart from the reuse of some characters from what i've heard and seen for my self.
Can't comment on Hollow Ataraxia and Colosseum because i haven't read them, but isn't Fate Kaleid and Carnival Phantasm just Fate by name only? They wern't supposed to be anything remotely Fate except for Fate Kaleid after a few seasons

Nov 1, 2017 12:13 AM

Oct 2017
lazypigz said:
NekO_RelliK said:

Can't comment on Hollow Ataraxia and Colosseum because i haven't read them, but isn't Fate Kaleid and Carnival Phantasm just Fate by name only? They wern't supposed to be anything remotely Fate except for Fate Kaleid after a few seasons

not the best person to ask. i only watched up to the point that i was sure loli tit was bout to be on screen before being all "nope not going to jail" that was like 3 episodes in.
Nov 1, 2017 4:37 AM
Mar 2013
Aardwolf94 said:
SwiftKilla said:

No it isn't..Saber after some weird S&M shit from Casca was unharmed. There were literally no bad consequences from that. Him being a dumbass and constantly protecting people even though he wasn't capable was just stupid

[/quote]

So? That doesn't make him more interesting to me instead its annoying since he is so naive. He acts reckless and stupid because of it...I'll take a compelling anti hero (with far more understandable motivations and goals) over that any day. Not to mention F/Z actually had a great ensemble cast, F/SN shafts most characters to focus on the MC and the latter still sucks.

Both wanted to be heroes of justice but Kerry realized soon that its not possible so he became ruthless and killed the minority to save the majority. Shirou is just nice and thinks he can save everyone and unlike Kerry he never had to make any hard choices so it feels hollow and doesn't have the same impact. I'm pretty sure if Shirou had to basically kill his loved one's to save innocents he would break and that would be it for his whole "hero of justice" bs.

Its a weak excuse, Gil could have easily killed them on his way out considering how powerful he is.

And no its not really suffering..he didn't go down and he barely knew her. Also what do you mean with this "So you mean selling your soul to damnation for eternity isn't suffering?"? I thought only Archer did that, not the Shirou we know[/quote]

Normally I'd agree on the fact that F/SN shafts some characters and focuses on others, if it weren't a visual novel with 3 main routes. This is simply the second route that has more focus on Medea, Rin, Archer and ofc Shirou. You might as well have only 1 route if you were to try and cram all this characterization from every cast, which will probably end in a disaster.

Shirou already knew it was impossible to save everyone, he had a monologue about it in episode 13. This route focuses on how his priorities are absolutely wrong, his distortion and the end of the road for that mentality (we get Archer). If it weren't for Answer and Rin keeping him in check he'd go down the same route, selling his soul to Alaya and regretting his ideals.

By your logic same can go with Fate/Zero, he could have destroyed the whole competition in 1 night. He hardly made an attempt to kill Caster's summon because he didn't feel like it. But he didn't want to because that would be boring as fuck, what kind of excuse is that right? Do you even understand him? That's his character, he's basically got the biggest ego in the world and has the power to back it up. If he never got serious with any Heroic Spirits in Fate/Zero, what makes you think that he'll even bat an eyelid at 2 humans?

Wow are you really that daft when watching the series? Saving strangers is basically what a hero of justice does. So with his character it's appropriate that he'll feel distraught for not being strong enough to save Illya, bonus points for looking like a child even though she's older than him, but he doesn't know that.
Nov 1, 2017 4:42 AM

Jun 2013
Because fans are salty like that. xD

But in all honesty, Zero many see as the best because story has much darker tone and majority of the cast are adults. Each with their own plans and way to achieve it.

Compared to other Fate works it has much more serious tone than when main protagonist is 17 years old boy.

Zero is great but it is not perfect. I actually consider Fate route to have best romance, Extra for best story, UBW for best fighting scenes and Apocrypha for overall best war.
Nov 1, 2017 8:44 AM

Apr 2015
lazypigz said:

Veromaye said:

The only thing that prevent this is their experiences from FSN. Heck I bet after all routes he still will suffer by his ideals.
After all 3 routes of FSN Shirou has a next to nothing chance of being Archer

Yes that's what I meant. The other thing was referring to his ideals still being a part of him hence he would still suffer if he sees he can't help someone.
Nov 1, 2017 9:11 AM

Oct 2017
lazypigz said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Only after FSN is Shirou not the same anymore though. But during FSN both Shirous should be the same because they have experienced the same things, holding the same ideals during the HGW?
If they're not the same then why does Shirou know Unlimited Blade Works, albeit with a different chant.

Aardwolf94 said:

But he did hold his own against Archer and Gil in UBW, and if he was able to recreate Caliburn (or Excalibur, don't remember i'm mixing up with Fate Kaleid) in Saber route then he would be able to hold his own too

Nope. The argument was that Shirou is a compelling character who has suffered through a lot. One user showed Archer as an example but my point was that its not the main Shirou we follow through F/SN so it shouldn't count.

I never said that Archer wouldn't have been the same during this time in his life. But when talking about the characters there should be a clear distinction between them. Call him Archer Shirou and I would agree that he is an interesting character, the Shirou we follow though is annoying and generic as fuck.

I mean standing on his own as a character. Of course via cheap power ups/excuses he could somehow stand against Archer and Gil in UBW and even defeat the latter which was awful.
Nov 1, 2017 9:17 AM

Oct 2017
SwiftKilla said:
Aardwolf94 said:

And no its not really suffering..he didn't go down and he barely knew her. Also what do you mean with this "So you mean selling your soul to damnation for eternity isn't suffering?"? I thought only Archer did that, not the Shirou we know[/quote]

Normally I'd agree on the fact that F/SN shafts some characters and focuses on others, if it weren't a visual novel with 3 main routes. This is simply the second route that has more focus on Medea, Rin, Archer and ofc Shirou. You might as well have only 1 route if you were to try and cram all this characterization from every cast, which will probably end in a disaster.

Shirou already knew it was impossible to save everyone, he had a monologue about it in episode 13. This route focuses on how his priorities are absolutely wrong, his distortion and the end of the road for that mentality (we get Archer). If it weren't for Answer and Rin keeping him in check he'd go down the same route, selling his soul to Alaya and regretting his ideals.

By your logic same can go with Fate/Zero, he could have destroyed the whole competition in 1 night. He hardly made an attempt to kill Caster's summon because he didn't feel like it. But he didn't want to because that would be boring as fuck, what kind of excuse is that right? Do you even understand him? That's his character, he's basically got the biggest ego in the world and has the power to back it up. If he never got serious with any Heroic Spirits in Fate/Zero, what makes you think that he'll even bat an eyelid at 2 humans?

Wow are you really that daft when watching the series? Saving strangers is basically what a hero of justice does. So with his character it's appropriate that he'll feel distraught for not being strong enough to save Illya, bonus points for looking like a child even though she's older than him, but he doesn't know that. [/quote]

Couldn't care less about that, the anime needs to stand on its own and both Deen and UBW were complete crap. Maybe HF is better

I doubt it would end in disaster, F/Z was just fine with a big ensemble cast. If anything via this route bullshit the pacing in both anime was awful and there were a lot of boring Highschool /Sol scenes etc.

He didn't because it was entertaining to him and the grail already belonged to him. If this was just done one time I wouldn't mind but the whole "villian lets Shirou go just because" happens quite a lot in both anime and its too convenient & the excuses are weak as fuck. then of course we have the literal plot armor called Avalon..

Also Shirou defeating Gilgamesh is complete Shounen bullshit. Here we have a guy who got shitted all over for most of UBW and then suddenly he can defeat the strongest Servant. BS no matter the excuses.

He was just fine after that, it didn't have an big effect on him at all so no it seems you are the daft one and seeing things.
Nov 1, 2017 2:01 PM
Jul 2016
If atleast i had enough space in my favorites. This anime its one of my favorites :,)
Nov 1, 2017 6:05 PM
Mar 2013
Aardwolf94 said:
SwiftKilla said:

And no its not really suffering..he didn't go down and he barely knew her. Also what do you mean with this "So you mean selling your soul to damnation for eternity isn't suffering?"? I thought only Archer did that, not the Shirou we know

Wow are you really that daft when watching the series? Saving strangers is basically what a hero of justice does. So with his character it's appropriate that he'll feel distraught for not being strong enough to save Illya, bonus points for looking like a child even though she's older than him, but he doesn't know that. [/quote]

Couldn't care less about that, the anime needs to stand on its own and both Deen and UBW were complete crap. Maybe HF is better

I doubt it would end in disaster, F/Z was just fine with a big ensemble cast. If anything via this route bullshit the pacing in both anime was awful and there were a lot of boring Highschool /Sol scenes etc.

He didn't because it was entertaining to him and the grail already belonged to him. If this was just done one time I wouldn't mind but the whole "villian lets Shirou go just because" happens quite a lot in both anime and its too convenient & the excuses are weak as fuck. then of course we have the literal plot armor called Avalon..

Also Shirou defeating Gilgamesh is complete Shounen bullshit. Here we have a guy who got shitted all over for most of UBW and then suddenly he can defeat the strongest Servant. BS no matter the excuses.

He was just fine after that, it didn't have an big effect on him at all so no it seems you are the daft one and seeing things.[/quote]

No it doesn't, you're looking at the anime in the wrong way. Like the visual novel, the 3 routes form a complete package. They were never meant to stand on its own, Fate probably can because its the introductory route, but UBW and HF needs its other counterparts in order to understand it.

Because F/Z's storytelling is completely different to F/SN. It's basically a telling of the sequence of events that eventually lead to the 5th holy grail war. There may be characters with more screentime than others because they are to live until Fate/Stay Night, but there was never really a main character to begin with.

The grail already belonged to him? You take Gil way too seriously, he doesn't own shit, that's just his overblown ego telling him he owns everything just because he was the root of all myths. He needs to win the grail war to obtain it. If you're talking about the grail belonging to him in the sense that he already has the means to destroy the competition in 1 night yes you're right. Also going by character is considered a weak excuse? If you really understand Gil's character you wouldn't call him letting the masters go a weak excuse. That's basically you projecting yourself into Gil and saying "Oh, they're a threat to me, I should kill them." Calling Rin and Shirou a threat is laughable to Gil's eyes.

Oh great, not this shit again. You're just in denial that your golden boy with his overblown ego got owned by some teenage punk. It's like you skipped episode 22 and 23 and went straight to 24.

Hot damn, you mean him looking like he's just gone through some horrifying shit, which he did is "just fine"? I can't believe I have to use a fucking meme to drill this into your thick skull. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-cSnTd-sU Yea you're telling me he's lookin good during this scene, ignoring the effects.
Nov 1, 2017 6:13 PM

Feb 2015
Mainly cause Zero, unlike the rest, has actual care put into it's writing.
The most interesting cast by far as well.

The rest are borderline terrible when it comes to writing, the same goes for the visual novel.

I think I will pick up the Fate anime again, cause it's been like 4 years since I've last watched them. I don't think they're on my MAL actually, since I made it in 2015...
Anyways.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Nov 1, 2017 6:18 PM

Apr 2015
@SwiftKilla

Please don't waste your time replying to him. He just won't accept the reality. People like him love special, unique and different stuffs because it makes them feel superior and not like the rest because "we love """"generic"""" stuffs" that they consider automatically trash.

Besides that was not the point of my thread.

Btw I saw that video! Really shows how Shirou ideals destroy his mental stability.
Nov 1, 2017 10:54 PM

Oct 2017
SigmaticDoc said:

The rest are borderline terrible when it comes to writing, the same goes for the visual novel.

I think I will pick up the Fate anime again, cause it's been like 4 years since I've last watched them. I don't think they're on my MAL actually, since I made it in 2015...
Anyways.

Sadly true. This is one of those very rare cases where the prequel ends up being way better than the original. I mean Nasu isn't a bad writer as he showed with Kara no Kyoukai but F/SN was just bad.

Nov 21, 2021 11:09 AM
Mar 2020
AzurealX said:

Anyways.

Lmao put care into cast more than FSN are you kidding me ?

Ok let's compare :

Fate Zero specific cast :

Kayneth and his lover are just " i'm a prideful mage who goes to enemy territory to get myself killed " and a " i suck lancer's dick " mad woman, there's nothing more to their personality.

Kariya, he is your typical revengful guy who didn't get his girl. Like seriously can you write something more simple as this ?

Lancer : his whole existence was a plot device.

Caster : just a crazy guy obssesed with Janne

Ryūnosuke Uryū : he was interesting as a mad person but in the end he was a plot device to

Maiya : you can basically remove her without any major changes, as FZ originaly was .

Aoi Tohsaka : be there cause Kariya needs a reason to be an idiot

Alexander : he has some good traits as a character, mostly his hypocrisy as a tyrant who consider himself a good ruler but ppl mostly like him cause of his Charisma

Berserker : this one wasn't bad, it has a purpose and fulfilled it

Waver : now finally a good character, Waver has a good development by the endnof the series

Iri : i love Iri she is good but not honeslty well written

Tokyomi : he represent the dark side of being a mage .. but maybe for 2 scenes ? Otherwise he is all " haha i have Gill "

Kiritsugu : possibly the best character, he is representing a man child who never gives up his childish dream and became utilitaian and the Grail showed the result of his actions.

FSN specific cast :

Shirou : a broken person with a hallow lifr that his ptsd unables him to enjoy anythign in his life, when he hears Kerr's dream he decided to borrow it so maybe he can earn the smile he had that day and finally find hppiness even though that dream is not his true desire.

In UBW he faces the reality that Kerry faced that his dream is impossible but this is his answer " lol i knew it alreadycbut just because it's impossible doesn't mean he shouldn't try it's the path that is important "

In HF he funally become human by doing what he really wants

Rin : a person who tries to be perfect as a heir of her family but she finally see that she is failing and has to choos between her duty as a mage a her desire ( UBW her love for Shirou and HF her sister )

Sakura : a rape victime who hates her self, and yet wants love a person that the whole world rejected her and doesn't consider her self worthy of anything

Illya : the anime cuts 90% of her screen time, but she is an abandoned child whose fate is already decided so he wants to take his anger on Shirou, his relation ship with Berserker is amazing

Berserker : great bound with Illya

Lancer : ok he is likeable but his character in FSN is simple

Casste : like Kayneth's lover but woth more depth, not well written but good enough for her role

Archer : a versionnof Shirou who represnts his mistaikes and at the same time a tragic warrior who lost sight of his wish

Zouken : he is not well written but his backstory make him a fine character

Kuzuki : his view is what make him interesting not top tier but good enough for his role

Now shared character

Kirei is good in both but he shines in FSN even though the animr cuts 90% of his screen time

Saber, awfuly assassinated character in Zero, great development in Fate route

Gil, he also is not that much different but maybe i give it to Zero

Edit : forgot Tokyomi
Cliamh-SolaisNov 21, 2021 11:17 AM
Nov 21, 2021 11:11 AM
Mar 2020
Aardwolf94 said:
lazypigz said:

Nope. The argument was that Shirou is a compelling character who has suffered through a lot. One user showed Archer as an example but my point was that its not the main Shirou we follow through F/SN so it shouldn't count.

I never said that Archer wouldn't have been the same during this time in his life. But when talking about the characters there should be a clear distinction between them. Call him Archer Shirou and I would agree that he is an interesting character, the Shirou we follow though is annoying and generic as fuck.

I mean standing on his own as a character. Of course via cheap power ups/excuses he could somehow stand against Archer and Gil in UBW and even defeat the latter which was awful.

Cheap power ups .....

Oh god
Like at leats pay attnetion to the show, both archer and gil specificaly mentioned they are holding back and his powers are totally alogned with Nasuberse's laws
Mar 5, 2023 10:26 AM

Jan 2021
Because they are dumb.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.