Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece: Episode of East Blue - Luffy to Yonin no Nakama no Dai-boken Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2017 12:44 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very cool how they finally animated the romance dawn chapter 1 of the manga and decided to include the 2 min extra scene with luffy cutting him self. Now anime only watchers will finally know how Luffy has the scar below his right eye.

Also funimation said the English version is released on their website. But i could not find it. Anyone else happen to find the ENG version of this special?

Aug 28, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 2015
Still hate how a simple sea monster was able to eat shanks arm.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Aug 28, 2017 8:45 PM

Dec 2009
Very good. Reminded me why I fell in love with One Piece in the first place.
Aug 29, 2017 5:13 AM

Jul 2017
Namis arc always gets me.and yeah you think an emperor wouldn't lose an arm so easily.

Also can't add this to my list yet for some reason
Aug 29, 2017 5:30 AM

Jul 2015
Angelquasilike said:

shanks wasnt that strong at that point. cant compare to how he now is. he also got the scar from a blackbeard without devil fruit.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Aug 29, 2017 5:31 AM

Jul 2015
Jkickit said:
Namis arc always gets me.and yeah you think an emperor wouldn't lose an arm so easily.

who says he was a yonko at that point ?
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Aug 29, 2017 6:42 AM
Jun 2013
Angelquasilike said:

Jkickit said:

I like to think that Shanks didn't master Haki at this point and used it by accident like Luffy and Ace and Doffy.
Aug 29, 2017 7:54 PM

Sep 2012
Angelquasilike said:

I figured it was less that the sea monster was able to eat his arm, and more that he was too concerned about rescuing Luffy to actually care about what happened to himself so sort of chose to lose his arm. He almost seemed like an uncle or father figure to Luffy, and he obviously cared a far bit about him, so it just makes sense that he would risk himself to save him.

Aug 29, 2017 10:19 PM
Aug 2015
My thoughts:
Luffy's Episode: I just finished One Piece: Adventure on Hand Island last month (Luffy's past was included in this special episode as well), so this episode wasn't very special for me.. But i really appreciate the improve of the animation.. Also, the scene when Shanks saved Luffy is always great ^_^
Zoro's Episode: This reminds me of how Kuina was really precious to Zoro.. It was her who makes Zoro grows stronger.. I really forgot that scene with onigiri girl, thanks Toei for remake this scene xD Of course, what i love the most from this episode was his fight against Mihawk. It's epic and well-animated.
Usopp's Episode: Oh i missed this arc so much. Usopp is such an unsung hero.. I had a goosebumps when he talked with Luffy about Yasopp xD The fight was kinda fast.. they even skipped the fight with Nyaban Brothers..
Sanji's Episode: His past with Zeff was just appear in TV episode weeks ago.. Glad that this time, they bring Don Krieg with his crew. The fight in this episode is well-animated as well. His farewell with Baratie always gets me T_T
Nami's episode: I admit, it was the saddest episode amongst them all. Bellemere sacrificed herself to save her daughters, so did Nami to save the town. The scene when Luffy & his crew came to save Nami is one of my favorite scenes ever. I liked this episode, maybe i should check Nami's special episode soon? :3

Also they put the pictures of the rest of the crew (Chopper, Robin, Franky & Brook) before joining the SHP in the credits, which was nice.
renzosparkAug 29, 2017 10:38 PM
Aug 30, 2017 9:32 AM

Sep 2010
IT WAS SO DAMN GOOD!

I could spend some time describing it fully but I will stop with this one sentence... although... sigh Nami's flashback got me once again... no matter how many times I see it I will cry still. Also Zoro vs Mihawk fight quality was too much.
Aug 30, 2017 10:33 AM
Feb 2010
why is this entry not approved yet by MAL I already watched this and I can't add this
Aug 30, 2017 6:34 PM

May 2015
This was amazing and they adapted it perfectly. It just shows what Toei can do. I wish it was all like this but hey ho. 10/10.
Aug 31, 2017 4:46 AM

Jun 2012
Nice compilation for an anniversary film! I wouldn't mind them doing the next part sooner XD
Aug 31, 2017 9:11 PM

Jul 2017
Why. Cant. I. Add. This. To. My. List. Yet?
Sep 1, 2017 10:18 PM

Mar 2014
Started from the fucking bottom, now they're GOATS.

Honestly teared up multiple times throughout. Though I'm salty they took out the Walk to Arlong Park.
Sep 1, 2017 10:19 PM

Mar 2014
Angelquasilike said:
He purposely did it for Luffy.

Jkickit said:

He wasn't an Emperor at that point.

Sep 2, 2017 1:18 PM

Jun 2014
That was amazing! Hopefully we'll get the remake we deserve one day.
Sep 3, 2017 2:31 AM
Sep 2012
Why is this still pending approval? One piece should be popular enough to get this added within 24 hours of its announcement.
Sep 9, 2017 11:02 AM

Dec 2016
Watching this back again you've really gotta wonder if Oda actually had Haki planned from the start, because what other reason would that sea monster have for leaving Luffy and Shanks if not for Shanks Haki blasting the shit out of it's mind
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 12, 2017 6:24 AM

Dec 2014
That was awesome. so nostalgic and in retrospect so inspiring. Watching this made me really emotional and I even teared up multiple times. Our crew has come a long way in 20 years. T.T

Seeing all this old stuff in updated animation was amazing especially the fight which were way too awesome. Damn you Toei! You can do it if you try.

If anything I thought the re-dubbed lines weren't as good as the originals. Not that they were bad in any regard just that they seemed to lack the stress in the voices the old ones had, especially Mihawk.

I'm kinda sad that they took out the Arlong Park walk and never used the Overtaken theme even once. :(

'We are' choir at the end was beautiful. Love how they showed the others during the credits including Ace and Sabo.

10/10 , cause I'm a biased fan who falls for the nostalgia tugging. XD
Lelouch0202Sep 12, 2017 6:29 AM
Sep 14, 2017 1:39 PM
Mar 2015
Angelquasilike said:

You have to consider that Shanks wasn't nearly as strong as today during that time.
Sep 14, 2017 1:40 PM
Mar 2015
TheFreycook said:
Watching this back again you've really gotta wonder if Oda actually had Haki planned from the start, because what other reason would that sea monster have for leaving Luffy and Shanks if not for Shanks Haki blasting the shit out of it's mind

I think he planned tons of things before even starting to draw the manga.
Sep 16, 2017 8:53 AM

Jul 2016
A good reminder on why Sanji is the best character in the whole series.
Sep 20, 2017 2:50 AM

Oct 2015
recap but it was worth it and Shanks's bite by that monster still haunts me.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 20, 2017 11:42 AM
Jan 2014
one piece looked different back then and i liked it that way, using the new style to depict the old stuff seems like a disservice to me

as if oda was ashamed of how one piece art style was..

i like both the old one and the new one and attribute each style to its period but this depiction makes the anime feel flatter, smaller and less impactful

actually when i realized what this was about and skipped through i didnt watch it, because there is no purpose for this to exist

also the plot of this anime was realy uninspired and lazy, if it was a new story like a movie or something it would have been better
Sep 21, 2017 12:57 PM
Aug 2010
TianlanSha said:
one piece looked different back then and i liked it that way, using the new style to depict the old stuff seems like a disservice to me

as if oda was ashamed of how one piece art style was..

i like both the old one and the new one and attribute each style to its period but this depiction makes the anime feel flatter, smaller and less impactful

actually when i realized what this was about and skipped through i didnt watch it, because there is no purpose for this to exist

also the plot of this anime was realy uninspired and lazy, if it was a new story like a movie or something it would have been better

I agree completely but I also think there's more to it than just the art style. The color choices are bland and the outlines on the characters often feel too... computerized. Like they used a really crappy brush in whatever program they were drawing in. In the old show I'm pretty sure they inked everything by hand and only used computers to add the colors, but the digital colors back then were far more vivid. Something just feels washed out and bland about modern anime colors to me. And since the old show was super cheap, they had to work extremely hard to make up for the lack of constant movement using top-notch cinematography and really dynamic and cool looking drawings. The camera angles used in the original TV anime are amazing sometimes; occasionally even better than the manga (look at Sanji vs Kuroobi, this is freaking amazingly storyboarded action and the timing is just right to give each powerful blow the perfect tension and release) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBtbpfpkhfQ

BUT I still enjoyed this retelling because seeing these nostalgic stories from my early anime-viewing days retold in an abridged way with fluid, well-choreographed action animation was really cool. I'd give it a 7/10 - not at all replacement for watching/reading the original, but worth it anyway as a fun little memory trip. I found myself going "HELL YES" or being genuinely emotionally moved almost as much as I was back when I was 13 and experiencing this stuff for the first time.
busterbeamSep 21, 2017 1:00 PM
Sep 24, 2017 9:48 PM

Dec 2012
This is the animation One Piece deserves
Sep 25, 2017 8:06 PM

Jan 2008
The smokebomb the guy threw made the sound when the characters do their flashstep move. What? Why was that even necessary to add in that sound effect?

I'm sorry, I had to laugh at Kuina's so called death. I don't remember if there was more too it but falling down the stairs... smh.

Sanji's breakdancing moves look better than I remember at least, that or how the current TV series animates it is just awful that it just looks good.

And as always, Nami's is the best of all the crewmates.
Sep 27, 2017 2:31 AM

Mar 2015
Ahh man this was so great to watch. So nice to see the first five and how they met as well as where they came from and why they're going where they want to go.

A great reminder of why I love One Piece so much.

10/10!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 30, 2017 11:29 AM

Feb 2014
Ahhh yesss, this is it, this is it.... this is why I love One Piece!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Oct 29, 2017 11:23 AM

Jul 2008
This was fine to watch, but so much was cut out. I understand though, 5 arcs in 2 hours but man I want to go rewatch the arcs now.
Nov 4, 2017 8:37 AM

Jun 2010
Rewatching Luffy's flashback made me remember the scene where Shanks met up with Rayleigh and told him about his surprise at finding a kid (Luffy) who said the same words as the captain (Roger), and rewatching Usopp's arc made me realize that all of his lies eventually come true (they met that giant goldfish in Little Garden). Just makes you realize how intricately woven this awesome story is.

Heck, I got curious and Googled "usopp lies coming true", and learnt that the lie he told in Thriller Bark about the beautiful swordswoman with meat even came true in Dressrosa arc, when Rebecca treated Luffy to food. Damn, Oda-sensei is such a brilliant writer and storyteller.
Mar 24, 2018 5:01 AM

Dec 2013
SpiritGT said:
Ahhh yesss, this is it, this is it.... this is why I love One Piece!

Same e.g. Zoro vs Mihawk :D i can watch this shit everyday.

link9us said:
Very cool how they finally animated the romance dawn chapter 1 of the manga and decided to include the 2 min extra scene with luffy cutting him self. Now anime only watchers will finally know how Luffy has the scar below his right eye.

We wait too long for this moment but finally :)

Just its weird watch East Blue Arc without Buggy stuff. I understand its about crew but Buggy is important for Luffy, Zoro, Nami characterization and story (maybe not for this special but whole One Piece). Anyway SP looks very good and i enjoy this.

Why Sanji and Zoro stay like nothing has happened. They fight with Hachi and Kuurobi. Zoros bandages like new :D its weird as well.
MalyRBTMar 24, 2018 6:50 AM
Aug 8, 2018 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
There were some really rushed moments but it was a decent recap.
Sep 18, 2018 1:04 PM

May 2014
A lot of nostalgic moment in this special ep. They changed some minor details that they rushed which wasn't good, but overall we got to see a summary whole saga before grandline in HD quality which was quite nice!
Sep 20, 2018 4:30 AM

Jan 2014
so much feels, a nostalgia with better graphics. Nami's part always been my fav, especially when she ask Luffy some help.
Dec 4, 2018 7:42 PM

Feb 2015
It all start with the straw hat pirates close to their entrance to the grand line, so the 5 of them make their own promises. The episode of Luffy, tell the story of child Luffy in Foosha Villa, where he was born and raised, there he met Shanks and his crew, and ate the devil fruit (from Shanks) that actually is the gomu gomu no mi, he admires the pirates and after having a conflict with some bandits, Shanks had to protect him. Higuma, the bandit’s leader, trying to escape by sea and bringing Luffy as hostage, was attacked by a marine king, Shanks lost his arm saving Luffy. Lot of time later, Luffy start his own journey to the sea. Episode of Zoro, the story follows Luffy arriving to Shell Town, where he met a guy that has been tied to a pole for days as punishment, that guy is Zoro and Luffy is kind of interested due to Zoro's personality; Luffy helped him to retrieve his swords and finish with Morgan; later, in the Baratie saga, Mihawk appears, the best swordsman of the world and Zoro challenges him, being beaten down and promising to not losing again. Episode of Usopp start at Syrup Villa, where lives Usopp, a guy that constantly scare the inhabitants of the island telling them that the pirates are coming and he's also friend of Kaya, a rich girl of the villa that lost her parents long time ago; Luffy, Zoro and Nami arrived there and met Usopp, but they are not violent pirates, later Usopp discovers that Kaya's butler is a pirate named Kuro with a plan to murder her and obtain her fortune, after an attempt to warn the villa and stop the pirates, Luffy's crew help him, defeating Kuro and adding Usopp to them, also another butler named Merry gave the crew their first ship, the Going Merry. Episode of Sanji is about the Baratie, a restaurant in the sea, a person named Gin arrived to the restaurant very tired and without strength, Sanji gave him food; after that a huge ship got close to the restaurant, he was Krieg and his crew who tried to take the restaurant by force, so Sanji, the other cooks and Luffy’s crew helped them (Luffy realized that he was noble), they fought Krieg, Pearl and Gin’s betrayal; Sanji’s story about how Zeff saved him long time ago is told and finally Sanji joins to the straw hat pirates. Episode of Nami, Bellemere was a marine that saved a baby (Nami) and a child (Nojiko) from war, she raised them in Cocoyashi Villa; when they were both childs, a group of pirates led by a gyojin named Aarlong took the villa and killed Bellemere in the process, so Nami, as a treat with Aarlong, joined his crew, made maps and started to steal and save money to supposedly buy the villa to Aarlong, so she could save it. After and attempt to steal from the straw hat, Luffy’s pirates followed her to her island and watched the problem in there. After Nami was betrayed by Aarlong sending a marine to take her all her money, she finally breaks up and the villa went to Aarlong’s place to make justice by their own hands. After watching everything, Luffy decided that he, along with his small crew were going to help her, so they challenged Aarlong and Luffy defeated him after a hard battle. Nami became free to do whatever she wants, join the straw hat.

Definitely they tried to hit the nostalgia in here, this is not but a reminder of where come from the first 5 pirates of the straw hat, the stories needed to be made shorter than usual, taking in count that the five of them needed to be counted in an hour and forty minutes. Somehow, I was avoiding to watch this, because I already knew the story. Personally, I prefer Sanji and Nami’s background, but I don’t recommend to watch this instead of live the whole story of the anime. Also, Aarlong’s Park Arc could be watched in another special which develop better Nami’s experience and life, the effort and the frustration of her desire to save Cocoyashi Villa, and the absolutely awesome help that she received from Luffy and how she became that important to the crew.
Apr 2, 2019 8:06 AM

Jan 2013
Nami's and Sanji's story always get to me ... such strong stories with amazing character development.
It was nice seeing all the backstories again, despite having seen it over and over and over :D
Jan 6, 2020 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
Ah yes, this was satisfying to watch, I quite enjoyed it. And they handled the recap quite nicely. I noticed they didn't focus much on the action scenes as they did on the character development side of the spectrum. Something that I didn't mind at all. Especially when they recapped the important parts early on their journey and what motivated each character to be who they currently are.

Sadly, Buggy D. Clown wasn't featured. That's a shame.

Feb 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Mar 2010
Nami's arc is still awesome even when shortened.
Mar 13, 2021 10:27 PM

Aug 2012
This was a really fun nostalgia trip. I was wondering how they were going to adapt all of East Blue in less than two hours, and the decision to just focus it on each crew member's memory lane of that time was a pretty smart decision. It did mean that we didn't get Buggy or Loguetown, but neither were exclusions I missed, focusing on the origins of the character made things flow better and feel a little more cohesive.

I also think the changes made the recap's necessary cuts work better, because we mostly just removed the context of the Straw's Hats role in the arc. Like, Luffy asks Zeff if he can stop doing chores if he beats Krieg, but within this special that's the only mention that Luffy was working there at all, but that makes sense, it's Episode of Sanji, why Luffy's there is not really important to his story, just that he is. And obviously, this isn't intended as a replacement of those arcs, it's meant as an anniversary celebration, so I don't need all the details, and I think this works really well as a celebratory work.

I really liked how this was more faithful to the manga in some regards than the anime. It was cool to see Luffy stab himself like an idiot in animated form, and thank god there's one animated version of Sanji's backstory where Zeff ate his foot. That was the big double whammy that really solidified Sanji's devotion to Zeff and how important eating/food is to him. It's not just that he experienced starvation, it was that Zeff had to resort to eating his own leg to survive that really punctuated it's importance to him. Always hated how the anime neutered it in the anime. Like it just doubles down on why Sanji would be devoted to him, not to mention in the anime version if Zeff didn't cut off his leg he would've died too, so it's not like the decision can be entirely placed on his affection for Sanji.

All the stories were pretty well represented in this fast-form style. Luffy got his full backstory which was a treat to see. Neither the Syrup Village or Morgan's story were every anything more than just okay, so the truncated versions of them were nice to see. Much quicker pace, kind of just the stuff that matter, and some really cool animation (Kuro's speed was cool to see, even if he seemingly had Soru speed without doing his weird uncontrollable technique). Baratie being spilt up in two episodes was neat and made sense, and the animation with the Zoro/Mihawk fight and especially the Sanji/Gin fight was excellent.

Arlong Park was probably the most gutted arc featured here, because it's easily the most substantial one. Of all the versions of Arlong Park I've seen, this was by far the worst, doesn't even have Luffy discovering the pen with blood on it, that was one of the things that made the scene so powerful. Still, worst version or not, it's Arlong Park. It's impossible to watch the Arlong Park arc for me without fighting tears half the time, and I won but still, Nami's story here is just one of the most emotionally evocative narratives I've ever seen. I'm a bit mixed between a 7 or an 8, going to go with 7. I think it succeeds at what it's going for really well but it's not something I can ever imagine myself returning to, like say Episode of Nami or even Episode of Chopper. Better than Episode of Alabasta which I gave a 6, worst than those two which I gave a 9 & 8 to respectively, a 7 seems appropriate.
TerrestriousMar 24, 2022 1:59 AM
Jun 5, 2021 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
i suppose this didnt work well as an introduction to one piece. i watched it with my father because he was curious but much important stuff was cut out and unneeded filler added in. and of course the structure made the order of events difficult to explain. the art was disappointing (i shouldnt have anticipated movie quality, or anything substantially better than the television series) and overall i just prefer the original tv animes interpretation
Aug 21, 2021 5:16 PM

Sep 2015
The pacing, the animation, the refreshment of where we started out was nostalgic, its been a while, and now I am reminded of everything again. Loved it.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Feb 3, 2022 12:40 PM
Mar 2021
Anyone know if there was an insert in this special? Watched it a while ago before I was paying attention to possible inserts and stuff ):
May 15, 2022 12:23 PM
Sep 2020
is it just me or the order of the story for sanji's episode a lot different than the TV version
Jun 9, 2022 7:54 AM

Feb 2021
Seeing all of this in new-gen/modern and better animation style is pretty great.

Glad to see that they started off with the actual first chapter of the manga and showed how Luffy got the scar on his cheek. Also, Luffy's hat was shown too big for his head here. Kinda looked off

Bruh the Zoro vs Mihawk fight went do hard. Clean animation.

Some scenes were considerably changed but the basic plot was pretty much the same.

Sanji already looked great idk how is he looking even better here lol. Also, his fight animations look clean as hell

Arlong Park arc's animation popped off.

They showed some new characters in the ED. I wonder if all of them will be future crewmates?

Jun 28, 2022 11:51 AM

Nov 2010
This is a very good remaster and summary. They even made some of the fights look cooler, especially the Zoro vs Mihawk fight.

8/10
Sep 18, 2022 12:01 PM
Sep 2022
IT WAS A FUN REMAKE
Sep 5, 2023 11:02 PM
Jul 2021
Honest? It's a revamp of the first like 40-50 episodes. And does a bang-up job of it. It's beyond better, granted, cutting characters for time is just simple. Overall, same feels as the og. Love it.
Sep 15, 2023 9:25 AM
Apr 2019
This recap is really good.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Remake by Wit Studio

cungedogawa - Dec 17, 2023

1 by yoshZZ »»
Dec 17, 2023 6:52 PM

» How should i rewatch?

_txhsin__ - Sep 8, 2023

2 by mikebz45 »»
Sep 9, 2023 6:59 AM

» fine to watch with friends for their first time?

xzeri - Jul 27, 2022

4 by Roving »»
Jul 28, 2022 4:01 PM

» So, is this all new art?

vigorousjammer - Sep 20, 2017

3 by Spirit_of_Enen »»
Oct 8, 2017 5:36 AM

» How long will this be pendent?

azertz99 - Sep 3, 2017

33 by vigorousjammer »»
Sep 20, 2017 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.