Forum Settings
Forums

I want to be proven wrong on this (Please Read Everything Before Commenting)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2017 12:03 PM

Sep 2015
smileyboyrocks said:
Gengoroh Tagame's "My Brother's Husband" is worth reading if you're looking for something that elaborates on Japan's attitude (broadly-speaking, of course) towards LGBTQ+ people. Fantastic manga that one, and the mindset that it depicts is probably part of the reason why LGBTQ+ representation isn't quite 'there' in Japanese media. I've heard that Kabi Nagata's "My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness" is similarly solid (not read it yet myself), and Takako Shimura's "Wandering Son" is worth checking out for its exploration of transgender identity.

Beyond that, I can think of only a few decent LGBTQ+ supporting characters from series that aren't primarily yaoi/yuri/bara/etc, but no MCs off the top of my head. You're not wrong that there's a pretty drastic imbalance, I'm afraid. "Mirai Nikki" has Akise Aru, "Gatchaman Crowds" has Rui Ninomiya, Mina from season 2 of "Darker Than Black" is gay and "Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon's" Malga and Margot weren't bad.

My Brother's Husband contradicts what I ask for in tons of ways.
Aug 28, 2017 12:06 PM
Oct 2012
KurvosVicky said:
smileyboyrocks said:
Gengoroh Tagame's "My Brother's Husband" is worth reading if you're looking for something that elaborates on Japan's attitude (broadly-speaking, of course) towards LGBTQ+ people. Fantastic manga that one, and the mindset that it depicts is probably part of the reason why LGBTQ+ representation isn't quite 'there' in Japanese media. I've heard that Kabi Nagata's "My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness" is similarly solid (not read it yet myself), and Takako Shimura's "Wandering Son" is worth checking out for its exploration of transgender identity.

Beyond that, I can think of only a few decent LGBTQ+ supporting characters from series that aren't primarily yaoi/yuri/bara/etc, but no MCs off the top of my head. You're not wrong that there's a pretty drastic imbalance, I'm afraid. "Mirai Nikki" has Akise Aru, "Gatchaman Crowds" has Rui Ninomiya, Mina from season 2 of "Darker Than Black" is gay and "Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon's" Malga and Margot weren't bad.

Noted. Merely trying to offer some stuff that might provide insights into why there's an imbalance in representation. 2nd paragraph does offer some stuff that's closer to what you were asking for, I think.
Aug 28, 2017 12:10 PM

Sep 2015
isekai said:
watch Gurren Lagann its about manliness but there is gay side character there that you may like

Please read my original post properly. Leeron Littner there is literally part of the problem I described.
Aug 28, 2017 12:11 PM

Sep 2015
Kidemonas said:
Isn't the gay character in Gurren Lagann a typically poor example?

Yes. It most certainly is. Very much so.
Aug 28, 2017 12:12 PM

Sep 2015
Kidemonas said:
I was writing a long reply, trying to figure out why it is as you describe, but ultimately I felt that my analysis wasn't actually helpful, and at worst it could come off as apologetic.
Certainly, we could find explanations by looking at this psychosocially etc. but I think most people already know that homosexuality is not viewed neutrally in Japanese culture. The question is whether we can find examples of homosexual characters depicted in a reasonable fashion.
I don't know of any proper examples myself. The closest would be Yuri Kuma Arashi which is deeply allegorical and deals with how lesbianism is (poorly) dealt with in anime (and so we get to see those very problems). Quite meta and not what you're looking for (neither shounen nor action), but at least it shows that not literally everyone in the industry has those bizarre and exaggerated ideas about what it means to be homosexual and I hope that things are going in the right direction, although it will probably take some time.

A lot of ridiculous comments in this thread...

Well, I said "male gay", so lesbianism wouldn't fit the bill. But yeah. Honestly, the closest I can get to proper inclusion seems to be JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

But yeah, tons of ridiculous comments indeed...
Aug 28, 2017 12:15 PM

Dec 2015
KurvosVicky said:
Heterosexual dudes get cool sexy attractive male characters in action-oriented all the times to look up to and want to be like - I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to.

The limitation of range offered to those other sexuality characters is a problem. But anyone can look up to/admire anybody no matter of their respective sexes and sexuality.
People's chromosoms or other genetic datas shouldn't be a reason to choose them as models.

@Clebardman "Faggot"? o_o
Aug 28, 2017 12:17 PM
Jan 2013
smileyboyrocks said:
I've heard that Kabi Nagata's "My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness" is similarly solid (not read it yet myself)
Not much of a series to discuss sexuality and more of a autobiographical book on the struggles of a depressed woman, amazing read nethertheless
gone bai bai
Aug 28, 2017 12:22 PM

Sep 2015
smileyboyrocks said:
KurvosVicky said:

Noted. Merely trying to offer some stuff that might provide insights into why there's an imbalance in representation. 2nd paragraph does offer some stuff that's closer to what you were asking for, I think.

Oh, sorry. I was bombarded with so much shit I struggled with properly paying attention to everything you said.

Mirai Nikki is a decent example I suppose? Except, it's not so much a shounen or action anime? And, from what I can tell, it's made in a really depressing an dark way with him being shown to be gay, right?

And I've heard there is NO sign of Rui being a gay dude in Gatchaman Crowds. But maybe that's not the case?

And Mina from Darker Than Black is a female, therefor not a "gay male character".

And same with Malga and Margot in Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.
Aug 28, 2017 12:28 PM

Sep 2015
Rei366 said:
KurvosVicky said:
Heterosexual dudes get cool sexy attractive male characters in action-oriented all the times to look up to and want to be like - I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to.

The limitation of range offered to those other sexuality characters is a problem. But anyone can look up to/admire anybody no matter of their respective sexes and sexuality.
People's chromosoms or other genetic datas shouldn't be a reason to choose them as models.

@Clebardman "Faggot"? o_o

Tell that to them, not me. I'm not the one avoiding allowing gay male characters to be this way.

I never said it matters what their sexual orientation is. But clearly to them, it does. Therefor, I question it.
Aug 28, 2017 12:30 PM

Sep 2015
pgmhecateii said:
I think I gave up after the "I am gay myself" part.

Just kidding. BL should only be allowed in shounen ai or yaoi. Put yaoi and real life together and you get disaster. Not good for ya. Though shounen ai can be interesting sometimes.

Gay inclusion exist in shounen and action anime already, so you don't get your homophobic wish granted.
Aug 28, 2017 12:32 PM
Oct 2012
KurvosVicky said:
smileyboyrocks said:

Oh, sorry. I was bombarded with so much shit I struggled with properly paying attention to everything you said.

Mirai Nikki is a decent example I suppose? Except, it's not so much a shounen or action anime? And, from what I can tell, it's made in a really depressing an dark way with him being shown to be gay, right?

And I've heard there is NO sign of Rui being a gay dude in Gatchaman Crowds. But maybe that's not the case?

And Mina from Darker Than Black is a female, therefor not a "gay male character".

Fair enough. I kinda took the initiative to e
KurvosVicky said:
smileyboyrocks said:

Fair enough. I kinda took the initiative (without prompting, I'll confess) to expand to LGBTQ+ in general. Akise remains one of the best examples I can name; it is an action series (a fairly over-the-top dark shounen), and his framing is fairly empowering and emphasises him as an intelligent, composed and altogether pretty badass character.

Guess I could also point you towards "Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans'" Yamagi (who is pretty minor and doesn't do much) and "Cardcaptor Sakura's" Touya and Yukito (though this is a shoujo series, not quite what you were asking for).

Apologies if my comments haven't been quite what you were looking for. My short attention span can impair my comprehension sometimes, and I might have unintentionally omitted certain parts of your initial comment from my reading of it.
Aug 28, 2017 12:37 PM

Jun 2012
YayaChibi said:

Plus, characters being gay is a really shitty driving point. Yeh, they can be gay, but being openly gay or bi is fucking dumb for a character, since no IRL person is gonna touch another dudes dick in public, or walk into a room and announce they are gay like 75% of the openly gay characters we get in the media lmao lol

Mattaku. Talk about false dichotomy.
Do all unambiguously straight characters touch genitals in public or announce that they are straight?
Obviously, there are other ways to relay that kind of information, many of which are subtle.
Aug 28, 2017 12:39 PM

Sep 2015
smileyboyrocks said:

Fair enough. I kinda took the initiative (without prompting, I'll confess) to expand to LGBTQ+ in general. Akise remains one of the best examples I can name; it is an action series (a fairly over-the-top dark shounen), and his framing is fairly empowering and emphasises him as an intelligent, composed and altogether pretty badass character.

Guess I could also point you towards "Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans'" Yamagi (who is pretty minor and doesn't do much) and "Cardcaptor Sakura's" Touya and Yukito (though this is a shoujo series, not quite what you were asking for).

Apologies if my comments haven't been quite what you were looking for. My short attention span can impair my comprehension sometimes, and I might have unintentionally omitted certain parts of your initial comment from my reading of it.

Please don't do that, generalizing gays into LGBT in general. To me personally, that's insulting and undermines the difference between the labels. Especially transgender, that has jack and shit to do with gay guys.

But either way, it's fine. Thanks for at least trying to give me some good examples. You're better than most people in this thread are, that's for sure.
Aug 28, 2017 12:43 PM
Nov 2010
KurvosVicky said:
Tomislavr7 said:
You can't get everything you want in your life because life isn't fair. Authors and their publishers aren't wish-granting people/institutions. They create what they want to create and what they think will sell. If one of those works happens to have a lot of what you want, then good for you, otherwise, too bad and you can always create something yourself.

Cheers.

This is not what I was asking for. I'm questioning patterns.

I was not disagreeing with you, there are many cases of making fun of or glorifying stuff like this in the media and the former are indeed quite present in shounen action anime (where they usually aren't really even focusing on such themes). With my previous post, I was telling you that you can't have everything you wish for in life, since you said near the end how it's not fair and how you can't relate or whatever.

Cheers.
Aug 28, 2017 12:49 PM

Sep 2015
Tomislavr7 said:
KurvosVicky said:

This is not what I was asking for. I'm questioning patterns.

I was not disagreeing with you, there are many cases of making fun of or glorifying stuff like this in the media and the former are indeed quite present in shounen action anime (where they usually aren't really even focusing on such themes). With my previous post, I was telling you that you can't have everything you wish for in life, since you said near the end how it's not fair and how you can't relate or whatever.

Cheers.

Well, congratulations then in responding with pointless shit.
Aug 28, 2017 12:49 PM

Jun 2012
YayaChibi said:

I stopped giving an actual fuck when you opened the post with fucking romaji lmao
Exactly. Yet I see in mediums, the more gay characters we get, the more their only driving point is their sexuality lmao lol

What's wrong with romaji? :(

Well, that may be the case, but it's not like it has to be that way.
Aug 28, 2017 12:55 PM
Nov 2010
KurvosVicky said:
Tomislavr7 said:

Cheers.

I answered the main topic by saying the opposite of what you wanted to hear and then expanded on it by answering to your expansion of it in the initial post of yours. That's not "pointless shit".

Cheers.
Aug 28, 2017 12:58 PM

Sep 2015
Tomislavr7 said:
KurvosVicky said:

I answered the main topic by saying the opposite of what you wanted to hear and then expanded on it by answering to your expansion of it in the initial post of yours. That's not "pointless shit".

Cheers.

I never said "Why can't anyone create this?". Idiot.
Aug 28, 2017 1:06 PM
Nov 2010
KurvosVicky said:
Tomislavr7 said:

Cheers.

I answered the main topic (the pattern does exist in the said form in the said type of anime, and it doesn't matter much), so my posts were on topic.

The rest is an answer to "I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to. And I don't think it's fair I can't even find ONE exception to this rule." This is your divergence and is simply followed up by mine. Otherwise, you shouldn't have included it in your initial post.

Cheers.
Aug 28, 2017 1:09 PM

Jun 2012
YayaChibi said:

Romaji is really cringey, as it is like writing russian in english characters lmao. Like literally learn fucking Japanese.
Just get the katakana you need, and type マタク - it's not that fucking hard lmao
Romaji should be used in some cases but not all. Like when typing Japanese, Hiragana, Usernames, genres, just not by trickling it in fucking english sentences lmao
Don't even use Japanese in enlgish sentences either lol

It doesn't have to be that way, but sadly it is lmao lol

I disagree - and it wasn't in an English sentence. ;) And why katakana? Shouldn't mattaku be written with hiragana since it's a Japanese word? Besides, the t is geminated, so there should be a sokuon.
Yes, learning some katakana is easy enough, but it would definitely be ten times cringier if I were to throw in Japanese characters that many people here won't be able to read only to represent a playful interjection that most should be familiar with in a way that is orthographically correct. You probably also find it reprehensible that I, in fact, don't speak Japanese, but still use some Japanese phrases. Imagine if the Japanese were that cringy and started using English phrases before being able to converse in English... Wait, they do! ^o^
AburadakoAug 28, 2017 1:12 PM
Aug 28, 2017 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
It's really unfortunate that there isn't a lot of choices in anime when it comes to stuff made for LGBT people instead of pandering to yaoi/yuri fans, so much so that I even struggle to think of more than a handful. Yuri on Ice, Wandering Son, and Tokyo Godfathers are the only ones I can think of that are like that. Maybe some day it'll be a bit more common, OP.
kie_ said:
So they concluded the anime with some feminist shit...

Markdoka said:
The ones hating this anime are MOSTLY SJWs, yaoifags and Narutards. LUCKILY I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN SJWS, YAOIFAGS AND NARUTARDS bashing the show for being "too edgy" and "too un-PC".
Aug 28, 2017 1:12 PM

Feb 2016
At least you aren't surrounded by rotorphobes who refuse to accept your gender. Do you know how hard is to find anime with good attack helicopters to self-insert? Your gay privilege is nothing compared to my suffering.
Aug 28, 2017 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
Aquamirror said:
At least you aren't surrounded by rotorphobes who refuse to accept your gender. Do you know how hard is to find anime with good attack helicopters to self-insert? Your gay privilege is nothing compared to my suffering.

Edgy. If you're gonna go for it, at least get much wilder. This vanilla copypasta is so boring.
kie_ said:

Markdoka said:
The ones hating this anime are MOSTLY SJWs, yaoifags and Narutards. LUCKILY I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN SJWS, YAOIFAGS AND NARUTARDS bashing the show for being "too edgy" and "too un-PC".
Aug 28, 2017 1:14 PM

Sep 2015
Tomislavr7 said:
KurvosVicky said:

I answered the main topic (the pattern does exist in the said form in the said type of anime, and it doesn't matter much), so my posts were on topic.

The rest is an answer to "I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to. And I don't think it's fair I can't even find ONE exception to this rule." This is your divergence and is simply followed up by mine. Otherwise, you shouldn't have included it in your initial post.

Cheers.

If you can interpret it that way, then I can interpret your response as: "Do your own faggot shit, we normal people don't want faggot shit in our stuff. Deal with it."
Aug 28, 2017 1:14 PM

Feb 2016
Decibelle said:
Aquamirror said:

Edgy. If you're gonna go for it, at least get much wilder. This vanilla copypasta is so boring.

I knew revealing my true self would attract more rotorphobes to attack me. You are rude!
Aug 28, 2017 1:17 PM

Sep 2015
Decibelle said:
It's really unfortunate that there isn't a lot of choices in anime when it comes to stuff made for LGBT people instead of pandering to yaoi/yuri fans, so much so that I even struggle to think of more than a handful. Yuri on Ice, Wandering Son, and Tokyo Godfathers are the only ones I can think of that are like that. Maybe some day it'll be a bit more common, OP.

None of those three are shounen or action animes. But yeah, one can hope I suppose...

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure still seems to be as close as I can get for now.
Aug 28, 2017 1:19 PM

Jan 2014
KurvosVicky said:
Decibelle said:

None of those three are shounen or action animes. But yeah, one can hope I suppose...

Yeah the fact that I can't even name any shounen or action animes that fit is what bothers me. JoJo's is close enough! Plus it's good, so that's the important part.
kie_ said:

Markdoka said:
Aug 28, 2017 1:21 PM

Sep 2015
Decibelle said:
KurvosVicky said:

Yeah the fact that I can't even name any shounen or action animes that fit is what bothers me. JoJo's is close enough! Plus it's good, so that's the important part.

Haven't seen it yet, but a friend of mine highly recommends it. :) I am really surprised in a positive way something like the Pillar Men there exist. I have nothing against females being sexualized, but I really like seeing more males being allowed to be sexualized in these fashions as well such as the Pillar Men.
Aug 28, 2017 1:21 PM
Nov 2010
KurvosVicky said:
Tomislavr7 said:

Cheers.

If you can interpret it that way, then I can interpret your response as: "Do your own faggot shit, we normal people don't want faggot shit in our stuff. Deal with it."

It is not an interpretation, but an examination. You can interpret things however you want.

Cheers.
Tomislavr7Aug 28, 2017 1:25 PM
Aug 28, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2013
nope, you can't be proven wrong on this

give up and watch the good yaoi like no.6 and Togainu no Chi
Aug 28, 2017 2:44 PM

Sep 2015
romagia said:
nope, you can't be proven wrong on this

give up and watch the good yaoi like no.6 and Togainu no Chi

No.6 isn't a shounen or action anime. And even if I wanted that one or Togainu no Chi, they are both really difficult to get on DVD, which sucks for a collector like myself. And No.6 doesn't even include a gay kiss, so I don't care.

I much rather watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for finding what I want. It has male sexualization and characters easily interpretable as gay, AND lots of kick-ass action and crazy cool characters.
Aug 28, 2017 2:49 PM

Feb 2013
@KurvosVicky i donget your obession with shounen tag =/
and no 6 is tagged action and has kiss >_>
Aug 28, 2017 2:53 PM

Feb 2015
And here I thought it would be your classic "I hate fanservice thread" but then it wasn't.

Ohhh well, traps are not that bad.
Aug 28, 2017 3:07 PM
Jun 2017
First, i would like to say that there's nothing wrong with being gay, bi, or anything
But regardless, it's the minority so there won't be as much gay, bi MC in shonen.

Second, this is only a problem because it's the minority, so it's really hard to find one, i don't know one myself, but i'm sure there's at least 1 out there. Japan as a country is very open mind toward gender topic, gay marriage was legal all the way back in 1880, compare to the US in 2015 (many old anime already deal with gay problem)

Third, you're talking toward 1 specific genre, which is the Shounen genre, with the target audience being boys. I'm certain that there are characters in shounen that're proper gay, but expecting the MC to be gay is a bit, weird. It's like expecting gundam in a shoujo seri, it's not impossible, but you know.
Plus, outside of Shounen, there're plenty manga/anime with gay/bi MC

Ps: again, there's nothing wrong with being gay/bi, it's just a very neat market, but anime is vast, you will find 1 someday
Aug 28, 2017 3:19 PM
Jan 2017
Ikaros_42oh said:
well if you want a reason its because japan is rather regressive in that nature
very taboo desu

there was that gay dude in TTGL tho lol
That gay dude in TTGL makes it hard to watch due to how invasively stereotypical he is. It's probably far worse for people who are actually gay.
Aug 28, 2017 3:21 PM

Sep 2015
romagia said:
@KurvosVicky i donget your obession with shounen tag =/
and no 6 is tagged action and has kiss >_>

No, it doesn't have a kiss. If it does, prove it. I've tried to find it. Even people who have seen it have told me it lacks a proper kiss.
Aug 28, 2017 3:22 PM

Sep 2015
Long_Ng said:
First, i would like to say that there's nothing wrong with being gay, bi, or anything
But regardless, it's the minority so there won't be as much gay, bi MC in shonen.

Second, this is only a problem because it's the minority, so it's really hard to find one, i don't know one myself, but i'm sure there's at least 1 out there. Japan as a country is very open mind toward gender topic, gay marriage was legal all the way back in 1880, compare to the US in 2015 (many old anime already deal with gay problem)

Third, you're talking toward 1 specific genre, which is the Shounen genre, with the target audience being boys. I'm certain that there are characters in shounen that're proper gay, but expecting the MC to be gay is a bit, weird. It's like expecting gundam in a shoujo seri, it's not impossible, but you know.

Ps: again, there's nothing wrong with being gay/bi, it's just a very neat market, but anime is vast, you will find 1 someday

I've never seen someone say so much, yet at the same time say nothing at all.
Aug 28, 2017 3:22 PM

Jul 2017
KurvosVicky said:
CreativeNam3 said:
It's because there's not near as big a market to have a gay action anime compared to a heterosexual action one. It's all about the money.

You didn't read my post properly. Never said I want the whole anime to be gay, or that it lacks gay inclusion. I even acknowledged that shounen animes have gay inclusion, just questioning the way it's included. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Lol that's my bad its just worded weirdly, but not much would change. It’s all about where the money goes. People can accept a gay action character because it looks cool when they fight and whatnot. Most people don't want gay harems or etc because it’s not cool AND because its gay. If they are gay, then the community wants them to be cool. I’ll say what many won’t say because of being PC. Very few if any gay anime outside Action will pull in sufficient profit because most people don't want gay characters in anime outside their accepted Yaoi and Yuri genres, and of course sometimes Action. People don't like the idea of homosexuality spreading to other genres because they only want flamboyant and cool characters to be gay, and that's mostly limited to the action genre. And if people won’t buy, they won’t make. That’s how the world of Capitalism is. That is why being gay is limited to those certain genres, and it will stay that way until people feel more comfortable with it.

Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Aug 28, 2017 3:23 PM

Sep 2015
Jason_Funderberk said:
Ikaros_42oh said:
well if you want a reason its because japan is rather regressive in that nature
very taboo desu

there was that gay dude in TTGL tho lol
That gay dude in TTGL makes it hard to watch due to how invasively stereotypical he is. It's probably far worse for people who are actually gay.

Indeed. Certainly is offensive to me.
Aug 28, 2017 3:24 PM

Jan 2009
goes to show that anime is going mainstream since discussion like this that are borderline SJW topic are being created now
Aug 28, 2017 3:25 PM
Jan 2017
Dio from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is bisexual, and not in a cruel joke sort of way, and he isn't creepy about it. He sorta leans female, and it isn't revealed he is bisexual until he gets some character development through Part 6 flashbacks. Also, Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion is bisexual as well but it doesn't mention it much really, and his living potential love interests in the movie are all female.
Aug 28, 2017 3:25 PM

Jul 2015
Long_Ng said:

That's a beautiful post, but it misses the point by so much it's kinda funny.

isekai said:
goes to show that anime is going mainstream since discussion like this that are borderline SJW topic are being created now

Yeah, and Rose of Versailles (1978) is a symptom of tumblr's oppression of artists oversea and le (((mainstream))) media conspiracy to erase the superior white race from the world.
DeathkoAug 28, 2017 3:30 PM
Aug 28, 2017 3:27 PM

Sep 2015
CreativeNam3 said:
KurvosVicky said:

You didn't read my post properly. Never said I want the whole anime to be gay, or that it lacks gay inclusion. I even acknowledged that shounen animes have gay inclusion, just questioning the way it's included. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Lol that's my bad its just worded weirdly, but not much would change. It’s all about where the money goes. People can accept a gay action character because it looks cool when they fight and whatnot. Most people don't want gay harems or etc because it’s not cool AND because its gay. If they are gay, then the community wants them to be cool. I’ll say what many won’t say because of being PC. Very few if any gay anime outside Action will pull in sufficient profit because most people don't want gay characters in anime outside their accepted Yaoi and Yuri genres, and of course sometimes Action. People don't like the idea of homosexuality spreading to other genres because they only want flamboyant and cool characters to be gay, and that's mostly limited to the action genre. And if people won’t buy, they won’t make. That’s how the world of Capitalism is. That is why being gay is limited to those certain genres, and it will stay that way until people feel more comfortable with it.

................ what in the name of hell are you blabbering about?! I never said I want gay harems, or "uncool gay characters". Fuck, that's the god damn OPPOSITE of what I say. My problem is that gay male characters are NOT allowed to be cool or attractive.

I am baffled by how you can miss my point to such an insanely astronomical degree. I literally questioned why gay male characters can't be allowed to look attractive and not overly masculine in their features like most of the characters tend to be like.

Did you not even read what I said? What, did you just decide to take a wild guess or something?!
Aug 28, 2017 3:29 PM

Sep 2015
isekai said:

I've said it again, and I'm saying it again - I'm not an SJW. Heck, an SJW would be against female characters being sexualized. I'm the opposite - I want BOTH male and female characters to be allowed to be sexualized.

And it's not like I want gays to take over shit, or even be seen as "normal" - unlike an SJW, I am fine with gay characters being unusual and only appearing in SOME stories but not all. I don't have any bullshit "gay quota" each fiction needs to fulfill.
Aug 28, 2017 3:31 PM

Sep 2015
Jason_Funderberk said:
Dio from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is bisexual, and not in a cruel joke sort of way, and he isn't creepy about it. He sorta leans female, and it isn't revealed he is bisexual until he gets some character development through Part 6 flashbacks. Also, Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion is bisexual as well but it doesn't mention it much really, and his living potential love interests in the movie are all female.

Yeah, I'm actually going to start watching JoJo's. :) And heck, characters like the Pillar Men can easily be interpreted as gay or bi too. The anime doesn't focus on romance and such stuff, so it's all fair game.

But yeah, no, personally not interested in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Still though, I appreciate the suggestions. ^_^
Aug 28, 2017 3:34 PM
Jan 2017
KurvosVicky said:
Jason_Funderberk said:

Yeah, I'm actually going to start watching JoJo's. :) And heck, characters like the Pillar Men can easily be interpreted as gay or bi too. The anime doesn't focus on romance and such stuff, so it's all fair game.

But yeah, no, personally not interested in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Still though, I appreciate the suggestions. ^_^
To be honest Kars and Esidisi are basically gay dads.
Aug 28, 2017 3:36 PM

Jan 2010
KurvosVicky said:
So, we all know how almost every single shounen and action anime out there has attractive male characters with some level of femininity or androgyny to them, right? Well, ever noticed how none of those types of characters are EVER allowed to be openly gay or bi?

No, if they're openly gay or bi, I've noticed some very strict patterns in shounen and action animes. They must always have very naturally masculine physical traits (especially in their facial structure), they must always act flamboyant and stereotypically gay, and they always take their shot at flirting with or sexually harring straight male characters in creepy fashion; and they are either overly muscular, and/or wears stereotypically gay clothes or crossdresses poorly.

Only exceptions to these rules I know are very very few, and then in that case it's that they are super-duper feminine and brings up a wish for them to be a woman... meaning they are transgender women, and not gay men. So, that doesn't even count.

And once again, I'm talking about SHOUNEN and ACTION animes specifically, since those are the types of animes I'm into. I am gay myself, and I'm generally tired of feeling like us gays and bis are only allowed to be like I described in any action-oriented animes. Heterosexual dudes get cool sexy attractive male characters in action-oriented all the times to look up to and want to be like - I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to. And I don't think it's fair I can't even find ONE exception to this rule.

But like I said in the title, I would really really love to be proven wrong on this.

Welcome to reality. Just go watch Yuri on Ice. It's amazing.

Let's just wait for another 12345 years for some major bi/gay character in an action shounen to show up.

@ClickBaitBuster
And for those people who think if OP only want guy to love another guy then there has to be a romance tag in it you're getting it wrong.

What if OP want a bi/gay MC who openly crushing on another guy/have a guy love interest?
Action shounen protag do it all the time (have love interest)
What OP probably want is that that love interest to be a guy instead of girl.

No need to have romance tag in it.
CrimsonMidnightAug 28, 2017 3:42 PM
Aug 28, 2017 3:37 PM

Mar 2014
KurvosVicky said:
And No.6 doesn't even include a gay kiss, so I don't care.
Ummm... So, I've not seen No. 6 - I own the books - but even I know about the kisses... so, uh, here:

Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Aug 28, 2017 3:40 PM
Jan 2017
isekai said:
watch Gurren Lagann its about manliness but there is gay side character there that you may like
YayaChibi said:
You do understand by Japanese culture, gays are not in their favor right? Why do you think anime otakus and fujoshi's are looked down upon in Japanese culture? lmao

I don't think anyone wants to see a really faggot character as a protag lmao lol

Plus, characters being gay is a really shitty driving point. Yeh, they can be gay, but being openly gay or bi is fucking dumb for a character, since no IRL person is gonna touch another dudes dick in public, or walk into a room and announce they are gay like 75% of the openly gay characters we get in the media lmao lol Give them a personality, not a fucking sexuality lmao lol
that's why I love Soren, Niles, and Leon/leo in Fire Emblem lmao
pgmhecateii said:
I think I gave up after the "I am gay myself" part.
Just kidding. BL should only be allowed in shounen ai or yaoi. Put yaoi and real life together and you get disaster. Not good for ya. Though shounen ai can be interesting sometimes.

lmao this exactly lol Except the JK part lol
kikyo1hinamora said:
lol doesen't faggot mean gay
always though it was a synonym to gay lol

Yeh, faggot is a gay
And also a bundle of sticks lol
Well, what the OP WANTS is a character that is gay, but being gay isn't their entire character. Openly gay doesn't mean being gay everywhere and making sure everyone knows, the OP wants a semi realistically portrayed homosexual character in a Shonen manga that isn't made fun of by the story for being gay.
Aug 28, 2017 3:40 PM

Jul 2017
KurvosVicky said:
CreativeNam3 said:

................ what in the name of hell are you blabbering about?! I never said I want gay harems, or "uncool gay characters". Fuck, that's the god damn OPPOSITE of what I say. My problem is that gay male characters are NOT allowed to be cool or attractive.

I am baffled by how you can miss my point to such an insanely astronomical degree. I literally questioned why gay male characters can't be allowed to look attractive and not overly masculine in their features like most of the characters tend to be like.

Did you not even read what I said? What, did you just decide to take a wild guess or something?!

Lol well no offense but the wording is so out there that it gives off multiple meanings so its difficult to guess what the hell it is you are talking about. Ill answer your revised question this time with a shorter answer. The stereotypes sell better than the reality, and frankly, most people don't care.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

18 by tmoverbeck »»
43 seconds ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

67 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

211 by TitanOfPlasma »»
4 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.