Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 30, 2017 9:13 PM

Jun 2012
Probably around 2006 my brother and I were always begging our mom to buy us the new Fullmetal Alchemist volumes. This was back when it was on adult swim and it became really weird getting invested in the Manga and not seeing any of the content adapted for tv. But we were kids and we couldn't make the connection that what was happening in the Anime was filler and we missed half of the episodes because it was on so late and we loved both versions anyway.

The first Manga I bought on my own was Biomega.

MrOneeChan said:
(Hentai anime is better than hentai manga though)
That's literally not true.
OchimushaSep 30, 2017 9:16 PM
Sep 30, 2017 9:51 PM

Mar 2015
I got introduced into the anime medium and after some time of watching the anime that interested me the most I naturally progressed to manga. Every person who enjoys manga would say something along the lines of "It releases faster, like once a week/month". Which is a pretty accurate representation of my thoughts.
Sep 30, 2017 10:09 PM

Jun 2017
So one day my parent brought home an issue of Shonen Jump from their workplace. The issue at that time consisted of covering chapters from One Piece, Naruto, Hikaru no Go, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Yo Dungeon Dice Monsters, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Dragon Ball Z. And there would be sneak previous of series such as D.Gray Man, Eye Shield 21, I"s, and Claymore to name a few.

Ever since then, I have been on and off reading manga (first manga series I began to buy was Naruto, but eventually stopped around volume 9 due to circumstances) (I have collected Shonen Jump issues for about 3 years and stopped due to circumstances).

Currently in the past year or so, I picked up reading manga again - and have been doing so non-stop - and really enjoy it ever since!

-Kenshiro R.
KenshiroRulesSep 30, 2017 10:17 PM
ATATATATATATATATA! Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru.
Shout-out to @SpectralPoison (2017 Secret Santa) for creating this wonderful gift [signature/profile/avatar pics]!
Oct 1, 2017 2:31 AM

May 2016
think i just naturally went to manga from anime? obviously my first series was naruto, so naturally i went onto the manga from the anime. from there i've been reading manga ever since

Oct 1, 2017 12:19 PM

Nov 2016
I've read my first manga this January (2017) It was Akatsuki no yona and I haven't stopped since
Oct 1, 2017 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
I was a big fan of Cardcaptors (the lousy 4kids version lol) when I was in elementary school and saw part of the manga looking around in the kids section of a bookstore. Wound up buying the Rayearth manga instead since they didn't have the first volume of CCS and got really into it and some other magical girl series until I decided I was too old for comics... and then I reread Rayearth a few years later and started some other CLAMP series and branched out into anime. Still have a soft spot for CLAMP after all these years
Oct 19, 2017 10:36 PM

Dec 2011
hamaon said:
I was a big fan of Cardcaptors (the lousy 4kids version lol) when I was in elementary school and saw part of the manga looking around in the kids section of a bookstore.

#SameChildhood :*l

Once upon a time, before Barnes & Noble was a thing, there were these bookstores called Borders here in the US. My older sister and I would sit by the shelves for hours to read. Back then, I didn't know anime was called anime / manga was called manga lol. I just knew I loved watching these pretty *cartoons* on tv with similar uh, styles? I was obsessed with CCS and saw there were comics of it. I must have been in the second or third grade bc I just remember asking my mom to buy me this book that had Sakura on the cover. It was CCS vol 6 of the first series, pocket sized version. All the artwork is squished and flipped in the opposite direction, so you read it left to right instead of right to left. It also doesn't have any definitions or context info at the end like new ones do. They don't sell these versions of manga anymore, so it feels pretty cool to still have this "blast from the past." Like, the companies that sell manga have come a reeeally long way!
Oct 19, 2017 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
i'm not sure where i found out about it...i first purchased manga at books-a-million during the 90s. shit was expensive but i guess it was worth it in comparison to how much anime was.
almost 20 bucks for a volume of manga and 30 bucks for 2-3 ep of anime...oh and.. had to choose between sub and dub back then, didn't come with both like they do now.
whole reason i get so aggravated at people who talk shit on dubs.
Oct 20, 2017 12:47 AM

Sep 2014
I was introduced to mangas by a classmate in 2011, she was going on vacation to Japan and came back with a few chapters of a manga called: Hana to Akuma.
During that time I was already familiar with Anime, but I never considered mangas so, after reading 1 chapter during a break at college. I began looking up mangas online and that's how it went.
Oct 20, 2017 12:56 AM

Nov 2014
I don't remember which manga was the first I read, but it's the usual story: anime didn't get proper end and I had to read manga.
Oct 20, 2017 6:24 AM

Sep 2017
I only recently started reading manga. I watched Koe no Kotachi and read the manga right after. Now I'm starting to read more when I used to just watch anime.

Oct 20, 2017 7:23 AM

Dec 2015
I saw "Wanted" selling in a store near my house and I liked the cover, so I bought it. I liked it, and wanted to read more, so I started reading some.
And when I started university I found out that there was an app for android to read manga online, so I downloaded it to read when commuting and while I waited for the class to start.
Oct 20, 2017 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
Pirate said:
uhm, pretty sure anyone interested in anime hears about manga..
but i'm sure you mean "how did you first get into reading manga"..
anyway, i loved the Evangelion anime, rewatched it countless times, so i decided to read the manga, and happen to find someone selling a couple of volumes of it online, so i bought them and became entranced with how much like watching an anime it was.. it all happens in your head, but the characters move, talk, react, and perform.. it was a very interesting experience to a series i've already watched, and it was different from the anime story-wise, so i started reading other series i'ved already watched, and then to well-known manga, and then to manga that just sounded interesting to me, and so forth until i realized manga is better than anime

I double this.

Except that I don't find manga to be better. For me sound, picture and movement are very important and I find anime to be much better for me personally.
Oct 28, 2017 7:58 AM

Oct 2017
I will say Doraemon and detective conan as it was popular among people of my age then. Tbh for some reason, I am still haunted by that one dude who wore this creepy mask and was thrown off a building and ended up being pierced by a statue holding a lance from detective conan. Every time, I walk in the dark, i just have this thought at the back of my mind about how he might pop out behind me and chase me. Doraemon is just obvious. What kind of kid wouldn't want to eat a bread and understand any language without spending time learning and have a teleportation door?
Oct 28, 2017 8:03 AM

Sep 2017
I saw one piece in an old bookstore and it was discounted and that's where it started. Sadly I dont add manga to my list since im too lazy to update it.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 28, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2015
When I finished watching D. Gray-Man a few years back, I decided to continue the series through the Manga which nowadays gets uploaded about every 2 months or so.
Oct 28, 2017 1:31 PM
Jul 2014
I remember seeing some of the Dragon Ball manga in the library and it looked really cool. I took some of it out to read at home and I was totally hooked. That is what began my love of DB and anime/manga in general :)
Oct 28, 2017 2:24 PM

Apr 2015
I tried picking up a volume of Kare Kano at some discount store and my mom was like "No that looks inappropriate" so I was like "Okay I definitely want these weird backwards inappropriate books in my life."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 28, 2017 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
I remember there was an anime that ended and I wanted to know the rest so I looked up the manga. Then I got bored of it and started other manga instead. The first manga I read was Psyren , which I binged in one day. It was an alright introduction to manga , but it wasn't fantastic lol.
Oct 28, 2017 3:17 PM

Oct 2016
I first became aware of manga after I watched the anime Gantz, and like many, wondered what the hell happened at the end. So looked up online and people were saying how the manga was still running, so the anime wasn't the full story. I knew of course that Japanese comics existed, but I didn't know the that the vast majority of anime were based on them.

At the time, I wasn't really interested in reading "some crappy black and white comic" and didn't really think about it, so kept watching anime.

Around 7 years later, and I start watching Another. I get through two or three episodes and I'm... intrigued, but not gripped. I search for info online and come across someone saying that the manga was better. So on a whim, I buy a copy of the Another omnibus from Amazon. And I loved it. Even the parts I'd already seen thanks to the anime, I enjoyed much more in manga format.

Since then I've amassed a collection of over 400 volumes, with more being added on a constant basis. I barely even watch anime anymore, and when I do, it's usually if there's no manga version.
Nov 1, 2017 8:27 AM

Apr 2017
When i was 10 years old , i read defense devil which was my gate to the manga world

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
6 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
7 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
8 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
8 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.