Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 25, 2017 11:54 AM
Aug 2016
Just finished watching the 90s Berserk anime. Really loved it and I think it was a great anime if not a masterpiece. I really want to know how the story continues after that ending but I am not much of a manga reader(though this time I am considering reading berserk manga). So my question here is should I watch the newer Bereserk animes that came out in 2016 and is coming out now in 2017? I have second thoughts about watching them since their ratings are not that high and many have said they are not good. So I would like to hear the opinions of the berserk fans about this matter.
Aug 25, 2017 12:04 PM

Jul 2016
You're best off reading the manga. A lot fans will say "You don't watch Berserk, you only read it," but I'd go so far as to say the '97 anime was on par with its source material.

The newer ones follow the plot just fine but they're a mess in visuals and sound. The 2017 one starts out tolerable then takes a nosedive in the later episodes. It's a shame cause Berserk CAN be adapted well, but the '16-17 adaptations haven't grasped how to create the mood.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2017 12:08 PM

Aug 2014
If you're never going to read the manga and want more Berserk, I guess, but personally Berserk peaked at Golden Age, the story takes a different direction afterward. Even if 2016/2017 adapted the manga perfectly, it still wouldn't be as good. The low rating is mostly visual, plot's more or less intact.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 25, 2017 12:20 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I'm gonna be the one to say, I liked Berserk 2016 and 2017 more than the original. I personally feel the CGI exemplifies the fights and it feels so real and intense, (3D like) as you watch Guts charge in and swing his big bad black sword. I thought the art was good, might not be as refined as the manga, and some people think Guts face was a mess, but I thought it was fine, created the look of a strong , but burdened warrior. Lastly, if you don't watch Berserk 2016 and 2017, you'll never get to see the EPIC Soundtrack Hai-Oh that plays when Guts take on the monsters and apostles! YES, Guts fights monsters in 2016 and 2017, than just slashing soldiers in the original which made it that much more thrilling for me.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 26, 2017 7:44 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime/Manga Recommendations

Can't say I've heard many good things about the recent adaptations, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to watch an episode to see if it's as questionable as some would make the newer shows out to be?
Aug 27, 2017 4:39 AM

Apr 2017
No. The Berserk 2016/17 is literally the worst anime ever made.
The animation is worse than in an average PS2 game, and that's just one of many many deficiencys...

Don't waste your time with this disaster. Read the manga (which happens to be the best manga ever) or just wait for a proper adaptation... if we ever get one.

Zoldra0Aug 27, 2017 4:46 AM
Aug 27, 2017 4:40 AM

Nov 2014
Don't even bother with it just read the manga
Sep 7, 2017 11:59 AM
Aug 2017
At the moment i'm watching Aldnoah.Zero second season , but after that i can finally get to Berserk . I plan to watch the the 1997 one first , followed by the movies , but i can't decide if i should watch the 2016 version too . The reason would be the animation , i really don't like it . Basically , my questions would be :
1.Is the modern Berserk a remake or a continuation of the old one ?
2.Am i better off watching the others and then reading the manga ? (which i would've done anyway actually)
Sep 7, 2017 12:02 PM
Jul 2016
read the manga the 2016 is horrible cg and the art of the manga just gets better as it goes on the new series follows the story but it would just be a waste of good characters and story to watch the new series over the manga also it is a continuation from the movies and the original they both end at the end of the golden age arc
jameso9Sep 7, 2017 12:08 PM
Sep 7, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2016
Berserk 1997 and the movie trilogy cover the same material but I honestly prefer the 1997 one but the movies are fine. After that I'd recommend the manga because 2016&2017 berserk were just terrible but if you want a more animated Berserk by all means feel free.
Sep 7, 2017 12:06 PM

Jan 2013
The new Berserk is supposed to be a sequel I guess, but as far as I know it skips important arcs and merges some other arcs together, it pretty much butchered the story. Just watch the 97' anime. The first two movies won't add anything new and they have less content than the TV series, but you can watch the 3rd one after watching the series for a more complete ending. And then read the manga if you feel like doing so.
Sep 7, 2017 12:09 PM

May 2015
fuyuki said:
The new Berserk is supposed to be a sequel I guess, but as far as I know it skips important arcs and merges some other arcs together, it pretty much butchered the story. Just watch the 97' anime. The first two movies won't add anything new and they have less content than the TV series, but you can watch the 3rd one after watching the series for a more complete ending. And then read the manga if you feel like doing so.

It doesn't butcher the story, just skip the arc of the elves that is not necesary for the story.
Sep 7, 2017 12:12 PM

May 2015
OyAlinDesu said:
At the moment i'm watching Aldnoah.Zero second season , but after that i can finally get to Berserk . I plan to watch the the 1997 one first , followed by the movies , but i can't decide if i should watch the 2016 version too . The reason would be the animation , i really don't like it . Basically , my questions would be :
2.Am i better off watching the others and then reading the manga ? (which i would've done anyway actually)

I know that is hard to begin to read manga but the manga is one of the best drawed while the animes aren't good animated, and the movie trilogy i read that skip some things but i'm not sure.
Sep 7, 2017 12:15 PM
Aug 2017
Aguslsan said:
OyAlinDesu said:

I know that is hard to begin to read manga but the manga is one of the best drawed while the animes aren't good animated, and the movie trilogy i read that skip some things but i'm not sure.

Yes it's pretty long , but i'm willing to make a sacrifice for Berserk . I have to see why so many people consider it a masterpiece .
Sep 7, 2017 12:19 PM
Jan 2017
Nope. Watch the 1997 anime first, it will give u the feel of what berserk is like. Even though it skips a lot of content, it has great soundtracks which blend perfectly with the atmosphere of the anime. And then read the manga from the start. 2016 version is no where near the manga and is probably a waste of time. Movies are optional imo, they were pretty mediocre.
Sep 7, 2017 12:20 PM

Jul 2016
Berserk 2016 takes place after the events of the '97 anime, but skips an arc for some reason.

The 2016-17 anime are good if you want a comedic interpretation of the events of the manga. Guts' sword now has the power of pots and pans clanging against each other.

The movies are.....okay? There are some flashes of nice animation but a lot of weird camera angles and shaking for whatever reason.

I went '97 anime ----->manga-----> movies and anime. I'd read the manga first cause the new animes might give you a sour impression on the newer arcs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2017 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Aguslsan said:
fuyuki said:

It doesn't butcher the story, just skip the arc of the elves that is not necesary for the story.
Well I heard a lot of complaints about how it introduces characters in wrong moments, skips important events and doesn't follow the timeline. I'm not really going to check for myself, I decided to trust MAL's score in this case. Better to just read the #1 manga than watch the #4500 anime.

Aguslsan said:
It skips important stuff such as Griffith's backstory and doesn't prepare the ground for characters relationship so that the ending is less impactful. Also they're noticeably rushed so it's hard to get invested.
Sep 7, 2017 12:33 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I don't even watch the show and I know it's not worth your time and effort. But don't listen to me. Listen to this man.

Sep 7, 2017 12:33 PM
Apr 2016
The '97 show is good but its just as low budget as the '16 and '17 anime. People seem to forget that. It also completely leaves out skullbro aka da real mvp. The movies LOOK phenomenal but they skip a ton of content. Just read the manga. I never read a comic book in my life but I flew right through the Berserk manga and when I was finished, I read it again. It's just that good. I don't think they'll ever get an anime adaptation right so do yourself a favor and
experience Berserk the way it was meant to be experienced. Read the manga.
Sep 7, 2017 1:49 PM

Mar 2011
Thread has been merged due to duplication
Sep 7, 2017 5:48 PM

Jan 2017
No. The new adaptations are garbage from a visual standpoint.
Sep 8, 2017 7:10 AM

Apr 2017
OyAlinDesu said:

Continuation.

OyAlinDesu said:

Watch the 1997 anime and read the manga. Don't bother with anything else. The movies are bad and the new anime is pretty much the worst anime ever made...
Sep 8, 2017 7:19 AM

Dec 2015
No don't bother with those two. If you can, you're better off reading the manga.

Or you could watch the 3rd movie's ending as it has a better and more sensible conclusion compared to the 97 anime that just blacks out and leaves you hanging.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 19, 2017 6:48 PM
Oct 2012
I watched the 97' series > then the movies > then I read the manga from beginning

I thought the movies would have an ending. That's why I watched them, but it just made me get hooked on it more.
I had never come across an anime like berserk, I fell in love.
I rewatch all episodes And movies every so often. So much that I probably know the script.
CGI for the new episodes may be bad but I don't let that get in the way of just having another reason to to keep up with berserk.
I cannot express my love for this manga enough <3

Sep 25, 2017 10:37 PM

Jan 2012
My personal opinion:
It's not as good as the original and the movies, but on it's own it's not as bad as the fans make it out to be.
I bet anything if I'd read the manga beforehand I would probably be like the rest of the fanboys and hate on this adaption to no end but as it is I don't mind it.
Oct 22, 2017 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
I guess Berserk 2016 and 2017 are good "so bad it's funny" comedies because I was laughing at how bad they were. The sad thing is, Berserk was supposed to be a grim dark fantasy tragedy, but both of these new adaptations are unintentionally and badly hilarious.
Dec 20, 2017 9:25 PM
May 2008
ok im watching it right now and as far as newer anime that we have out that has what i call "DAT GRIT" its pretty good. I watched some of the older anime but i didnt finish it and due to all the fuss(which i feel there is a lot of) i will be going back and watching the original. no i didnt read the manga which i am thinking about picking up after i finish Vagabond. But if youre looking for an newer anime with so action this is pretty good in my opinion. yes cg in anime is not so great and i still havent gotten use to it but it seem like thats the way anime is going...speaking of gritty NEW anime INUYASHIKI is pretty good, still they use cgi but its not as in your face as 2016 berserk. BOTTOM LINE: If you want action blood and guts and a quick marathon AND dont care about anime CG watch it.
Dec 20, 2017 11:29 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
2016 and 2017 are the right...read the manga, is better that animation!!!
I am how you, i love the `90 s series, but all is different!!!
Dec 20, 2017 11:33 PM
May 2008
i wonder if its comparable to dbz vs db super because i think i hate db super
Dec 21, 2017 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
if you dont mind 3D then watch it. the whole anime feels like a cutscene from a game
May 12, 2018 2:12 PM

Feb 2018
No just no read the manga it's great.
Jan 14, 2020 8:26 AM
Jan 2018
So basically from the comments I'll just watch the 97 one then the movies and if I like it read the manga afterwards
Jan 24, 2020 1:30 PM

Mar 2014
Mattinator95 said:
So basically from the comments I'll just watch the 97 one then the movies and if I like it read the manga afterwards

I would suggest to read the manga, then watch any adaptation that you would like. We've had plenty of Berserk adaptations so far but none really manages to recreate what makes Berserk good in its entirety.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

989 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.