Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 25, 2017 10:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really fun episode! I love Nina decided to dress up and infiltrate the ball. She looked great too imo with her dress and tiara.

I'm not surprised that how daring she is when Nina just walked up right to the host and requested a dance with him. The dance itself was also looked like a lot of fun :D

Kinda interesting to see Favaro got into some drama with Charioce. A punch right to the face!

ED art
Stark700Aug 25, 2017 10:32 AM
Aug 25, 2017 10:37 AM

Jul 2017
This romance subplot is like something that came out of Twilight. It's so bad. Why couldn't we just get fun adventure like we did in Genesis? Why shoehorn this garbage melodrama? This new writer was a mistake, and I hope she never touches anime again.
Aug 25, 2017 12:22 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Charioce is pushing Nina away for her own good. Definitely has to do with his plan (he probably doesn't want her killed or suffering).

That dance once again was very nice. Also Favaro gets to shine a bit more in this episode!
Aug 25, 2017 12:26 PM

Dec 2014
Best thing about this episode is the last 10s or so (would be nice if it came true ).
Episode was okay with some decent moments, even tho i hate Nina and that king guy.
Aug 25, 2017 12:57 PM
May 2017
This episode was good, the king still hiding things from Nina, I can't wait to discover what is those things. She was amazing in that dress <3

Now that we saw romance, it's time to fight, can't wait for next week.
Aug 25, 2017 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
Ballroom e Youkoso anyone?

It was inevitable that Charioce will hurt Nina.
Aug 25, 2017 1:07 PM

Feb 2015
This show has lost its way somewhat in the last couple of episodes. I've never really invested in the romance partly due to Charioce being a total douche.

It's also suffers from keeping nearly the whole story in one city and doesn't have that sense of adventure the first series had.

I still like Nina, Favaro and the others though, hopefully next weeks will be an improvement.
Aug 25, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2014
Welcome to the Ballroom looks different this week.

Honestly I never really got attached to this romance thing between Nina and Charioce. There were some moments here and there throughout the show so far that I've kind of liked (like the dance scene in this episode), but it feels like it's taking over instead of showing other stuff.

Hopefully, given how this episode played out and the way it ended, we get less romance and more action in this final stretch.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 25, 2017 1:33 PM

Nov 2016
The first half was so cute again, Nina looked so nice in her dress and the dance with Charioce was magical, I still like the first one more, tho.

And what was bound to happen, happened. Nina got hurt by Charioce.He's obviously faking everything, but to see Nina like that did hurt :/

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 25, 2017 1:38 PM

Dec 2014
Crashmatt said:
It's also suffers from keeping nearly the whole story in one city and doesn't have that sense of adventure the first series had.

Yeah that's my problem with this series too. I liked the first half up until Azazel was caught, I was hoping that something would happen outside the city and that the focus would shift from Charioce as the main "villain", but it didn't go like that. I still think it's a good anime, however it can't compete with the first season, it feels more like a spin-off.
Aug 25, 2017 1:50 PM

Aug 2013
As others have said, Charioce is definitely faking it as he doesn't want Nina to get hurt. There was that fun dance. I liked the way Nina walked up and invited Charioce to the dance.

Aug 25, 2017 1:53 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
thebrentinator24 said:
Welcome to the Ballroom looks different this week.

Honestly I never really got attached to this romance thing between Nina and Charioce. There were some moments here and there throughout the show so far that I've kind of liked (like the dance scene in this episode), but it feels like it's taking over instead of showing other stuff.

Hopefully, given how this episode played out and the way it ended, we get less romance and more action in this final stretch.

I agree wholeheartedly. The whole romance thing felt completely contrived to me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 25, 2017 1:55 PM

Jun 2015
The romance with Nina and Charioce is bringing the show down. I honestly don't care much for it. Their dancing was nice though and she looks pretty in her dress. She was heartbroken after he told her they shouldn't see each other again. The plan didn't go right and now a bounty hunter is going to try to kill Nina. Looking forward to see their fight.
Aug 25, 2017 2:09 PM
Jul 2016
First of all, the CGI crowds look absolutely atrocious. This has been a thing for a while now, but they way overdid it in this episode. Seriously, how can they make this look so disgusting and ugly and why do they have so many CGI scenes in the first place? Even the normal art looks off in some instances. Have they run out of budget or something?

GreenEmu said:
This romance subplot is like something that came out of Twilight. It's so bad. Why shoehorn this garbage melodrama? This new writer was a mistake, and I hope she never touches anime again.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I would go as far as to say we have found a worse love story than Twilight. And with your post as my basis, i will go on a massive rant about this season of Bahamut. I thought that today we could have a cool episode, infiltration mission to steal the king's bracelet and all that, maybe have some cool action, maybe some fights, everything that we didn't get in other words. What we did get was the stupidest romance off all time reaching a new low point, and the funniest thing is that this will definitely get even worse. We got a sorry excuse of a Cinderella story (she even left her shoes behind ffs) with a king that is just a cold hearted, stone faced psychopath that just wants to murder everyone, who we know nothing about, and even if we do get his backstory and his motivations, there is no salvaging his character. His Cinderella, a 15 year old horny girl that can or can't transform into a dragon (depending on what suits the plot) and can't control her lust for five seconds. I was begging for Favaro to shoot her and kill the king like he suggested, but obviously that never happened. This episode is everything that has been wrong with Virgin Soul in a nutshell.

From the start of this show, there was no saving Charioce as a character the moment they decided to have him in a romance with Nina, give him motivations, depth, development. Because by doing that they are trying to justify his inexcusable actions. Because the only way he could ever work is by being a plot device, someone to be the antithesis to Kaisar's philosophies and political ideas and then build Kaisar's character up from that point, which kinda happened at the beginning, but screw everything we have stupid romance. Seriously, we have this mass murderer that wants to wipe out every race in existence and the writer is trying to convince us that it's okay because he fell in love. They are literally going for the he was the good guy all along ending. Who thought it was a goood idea to have the MC fall in love with a genocidal tyrant? Why would anyone ever think that would be a good romance? I remember reading someone's post saying Charioce is fantasy Hitler. Couldn't be more right. Even though the signs were there from the start that this was going to turn into a shit romance, i ignored them because of the fantastic beginning this season had but alas, here we are now 5 episodes before the end and it looks really bad.

Not much to say about Nina, she is here to have varying facial expressions. I thought she would be ignorant for the first half of the show and then see how the king is and change her mindset, but she is too blinded by her love (and her hormones) to see things as they really are.

GreenEmu said:
Why couldn't we just get fun adventure like we did in Genesis?

I know, right? This season has been focusing on all the wrong things. What made Genesis good was the adventure, the lore, and good characters like Favaro and Kaisar who have been pushed to the side and completely ignored at some points in Virgin soul. It definitely wasn't the romance or crazy childlike main heroines. The romance bits with Amira in Genesis weren't even that good (godlike compared to the garbage we have now) so why they made the decision to go down the romance road plotwise is beyond me.

Rant over. I hope Azazel can save whatever he can from this season because more or less he is the only good thing that has come out of Virgin Soul.
MouloxasAug 25, 2017 2:16 PM
Aug 25, 2017 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
lol at people looking for adventure, season 1 does not have that many adventures too anyway and it has less episodes than this season

Nina got dumped by Charioce and now she is gonna face a monster bounty hunter
Aug 25, 2017 2:33 PM

Apr 2017
Mouloxas said:
First of all, the CGI crowds look absolutely atrocious. This has been a thing for a while now, but they way overdid it in this episode. Seriously, how can they make this look so disgusting and ugly and why do they have so many CGI scenes in the first place? Even the normal art looks off in some instances. Have they run out of budget or something?

GreenEmu said:
This romance subplot is like something that came out of Twilight. It's so bad. Why shoehorn this garbage melodrama? This new writer was a mistake, and I hope she never touches anime again.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I would go as far as to say we have found a worse love story than Twilight. And with your post as my basis, i will go on a massive rant about this season of Bahamut. I thought that today we could have a cool episode, infiltration mission to steal the king's bracelet and all that, maybe have some cool action, maybe some fights, everything that we didn't get in other words. What we did get was the stupidest romance off all time reaching a new low point, and the funniest thing is that this will definitely get even worse. We got a sorry excuse of a Cinderella story (she even left her shoes behind ffs) with a king that is just a cold hearted, stone faced psychopath that just wants to murder everyone, who we know nothing about, and even if we do get his backstory and his motivations, there is no salvaging his character. His Cinderella, a 15 year old horny girl that can or can't transform into a dragon (depending on what suits the plot) and can't control her lust for five seconds. I was begging for Favaro to shoot her and kill the king like he suggested, but obviously that never happened. This episode is everything that has been wrong with Virgin Soul in a nutshell.

From the start of this show, there was no saving Charioce as a character the moment they decided to have him in a romance with Nina, give him motivations, depth, development. Because by doing that they are trying to justify his inexcusable actions. Because the only way he could ever work is by being a plot device, someone to be the antithesis to Kaisar's philosophies and political ideas and then build Kaisar's character up from that point, which kinda happened at the beginning, but screw everything we have stupid romance. Seriously, we have this mass murderer that wants to wipe out every race in existence and the writer is trying to convince us that it's okay because he fell in love. They are literally going for the he was the good guy all along ending. Who thought it was a goood idea to have the MC fall in love with a genocidal tyrant? Why would anyone ever think that would be a good romance? I remember reading someone's post saying Charioce is fantasy Hitler. Couldn't be more right. Even though the signs were there from the start that this was going to turn into a shit romance, i ignored them because of the fantastic beginning this season had but alas, here we are now 5 episodes before the end and it looks really bad.

Not much to say about Nina, she is here to have varying facial expressions. I thought she would be ignorant for the first half of the show and then see how the king is and change her mindset, but she is too blinded by her love (and her hormones) to see things as they really are.

GreenEmu said:

I know, right? This season has been focusing on all the wrong things. What made Genesis good was the adventure, the lore, and good characters like Favaro and Kaisar who have been pushed to the side and completely ignored at some points in Virgin soul. It definitely wasn't the romance or crazy childlike main heroines. The romance bits with Amira in Genesis weren't even that good (godlike compared to the garbage we have now) so why they made the decision to go down the romance road plotwise is beyond me.

Rant over. I hope Azazel can save whatever he can from this season because more or less he is the only good thing that has come out of Virgin Soul.

Aren't we being a little too harsh? I for one don't mind the romance. It's pretty cute itself and gives a human side to the othwerwise pretty inhuman king. We still don't know if he is schizofrenic or just playing, his role might be deeper than everyone anticipated and perhaps he has no choice than to dance from side to side to keep his realm intact. So many people throwing dirt on him, I'd call this too early.

I do agree that the romance got a little more time than needed. But it just showcases how Nina is naive and inexperienced with her feelings, she's just a alittle girl. Sorry that she ain't your regular killer loli which knows everything about the world and people. I am convinced that from now on we fight and there's not gonna be any space for romance anymore, so lets calm our titties.
Aug 25, 2017 3:19 PM
Jul 2016
Scalpelexis said:
Mouloxas said:

Aren't we being a little too harsh? I for one don't mind the romance. It's pretty cute itself and gives a human side to the othwerwise pretty inhuman king. We still don't know if he is schizofrenic or just playing, his role might be deeper than everyone anticipated and perhaps he has no choice than to dance from side to side to keep his realm intact. So many people throwing dirt on him, I'd call this too early.

My biggest problem is exactly the fact that they are trying to give him a human side. You can't excuse everything he has done because he fell in love. You say it's too early to judge him but we have been waiting to learn his story for a long time. There are only 5 episodes left. In before he gets a flashback right when he's about to die in the final episode.

Scalpelexis said:
I am convinced that from now on we fight and there's not gonna be any space for romance anymore, so lets calm our titties.

I really hope so.
Aug 25, 2017 3:51 PM

Feb 2015
Also what the point on Joan D'arc ? She's spent half the series chasing round after El only to loose him again the next episode. When she does find him she just frowns and does nothing.

Compared to how she was in the first series they have totally destroyed her character and she has no purpose in this series now.
Aug 25, 2017 4:13 PM

Jul 2016
Hopefully that is actually the end for Charioce and Nina.

The King has business to do god damn it and he does not need the distraction. Good to osee a driven character for once.

Fav is still king of the heap though as best character.
Aug 25, 2017 4:14 PM

Nov 2010
Mouloxas said:

GreenEmu said:

At last someone who says something that makes sense. I have being thinking that the whole show but have kept running into Charios fangirls/boys or Favaro fanboys/girls (who ignore any plot or character and just want Favaro screen time,what ever the story may be).
Indeed,I also hope that Azazel will redeem this anime.
Aug 25, 2017 5:38 PM
Oct 2014
better dance animation than ballroom
Aug 25, 2017 5:54 PM

May 2010
I feel like I'm the only one who actually enjoyed this episode xD Oh well! Clearly they are trying to appeal to female audience more this season, and I can't help but like it! Although I hate that Charioce had to say this obvious load of bullshit for some reason (to protect Nina, or whatever?), I can't stand that particular cliche.

Still, the dance sequence was absolutely adorable and made me wanna squeeek~ >w<

Plus, even though I still love Charioce, that Favaro Punch was pretty damn satisfying.

Now that Nina's heartbroken, at least she won't hesitate about turning into dragon and interfering Charioce's army with their plan, I guess.

And 'sup with Gabriel, she gay for Sofiel lol? Looks like she's slowly going crazy.
Aug 25, 2017 6:21 PM

Nov 2008
I wonder if now that Nina has been rejected so harshly by Charioce she will lose her ability to transform at will again.
Aug 25, 2017 6:25 PM

Sep 2016
goddamn nina is so stupid. i have my rant but i will save it for the last episode

KrylogaX said:
better dance animation than ballroom

because ballroom doesn't have any animation and just still image lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Aug 25, 2017 7:22 PM

Jan 2015
That is so like Nina. To come see Charioce and bluntly ask him to dance. But this time, may be the last since Charioce already got another plan up his sleeve and he also said about no more dance with Nina after this.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Aug 25, 2017 9:12 PM

Jan 2014
Crashmatt said:
Also what the point on Joan D'arc ? She's spent half the series chasing round after El only to loose him again the next episode. When she does find him she just frowns and does nothing.

Compared to how she was in the first series they have totally destroyed her character and she has no purpose in this series now.

I'm willing to bet she'll be the next King/Queen, tbh.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 25, 2017 9:12 PM

Jan 2014
Kawaii. The King dumped her so that way she could get away safely. She still dead though.. lel.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 25, 2017 9:40 PM

Feb 2014
Allesand was the MVP!! He just turned his fiance into his sister! XD
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 25, 2017 10:18 PM

Jan 2012
[/quote]

I do agree that the romance got a little more time than needed. But it just showcases how Nina is naive and inexperienced with her feelings, she's just a alittle girl. Sorry that she ain't your regular killer loli which knows everything about the world and people. I am convinced that from now on we fight and there's not gonna be any space for romance anymore, so lets calm our titties.[/quote]

So a ill constructed forced romance adds a human touch to the king? You know giving a actual backstory or insight to the motivations of the king would do that? This show is just bad, story is not good, but still has some entertaining aspects of it, but they've completely missed the opportunities to delve into the ideologies of the humans, gods, demons or even just write an actual compelling romance with the backdrop of the aforementioned issues.
Aug 25, 2017 11:20 PM

Dec 2013
I definitely wasn't a fan of this episode. The cgi crowds were an absolute pain to look at, and I'm currently more down on the romantic sub-plot than I've ever been.

I tried to like/get behind the romance, but the writers haven't made it compelling enough for me to even bother, so I'm glad that we'll hopefully be getting a break from it. It's unfortunate that this probably isn't the last we'll see of their relationship.

I am however very interested in where the story is headed for Jean, Sofiel, El, and Azazel. They've been the most consistently interesting characters in the show, so give me more of them please.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Aug 26, 2017 12:55 AM
Aug 2017
Every single one of you who loves this "r-r-romance," you're a complete embarrassment.
Aug 26, 2017 1:12 AM

Dec 2014
j0x said:
lol at people looking for adventure, season 1 does not have that many adventures too anyway and it has less episodes than this season

Well the first season had more things happen in 12 episodes than this one had in 19..Also the whole series was centered around the adventure of the MCs that went to stop Bahamut, and the conflicts between the different factions. Here we have an op king that crushes rebellions/wars like nothing and goes to dance in his free time.
It doesn't need to have action in every episode either, just not focus so much on dancing and blushing but actual plot advancement. Ever since the fight between demons and humans I started to lose interest in the series, I was hoping something different would start with the angels declaring war on humans; but after getting roflstomped by that weapon we are back to romance and dancing. This sequel is a clear example that more is not always better, referring to the number of episodes.
Aug 26, 2017 1:24 AM

Jul 2010
why people hate this romance i dont understand . I think imposible love and comedy mixed very well in this anime 10/10
Aug 26, 2017 1:47 AM

Jul 2014
They were hilariously dumb to allow Nina to carry out subterfuge, but even ignoring that this was a mess like this entire second cour has been. This show has been shooting itself in the foot time and time again by focusing on a romance that gets more and more incoherently bad the more they focus on it, while completely ignoring all the elements that made Genesis successful enough for this sequel to even exist. Speaking of, I'm not surprised that Nina fucked everything up by stopping Favaro from doing the right thing, and then contributing to the show's two best characters getting captured (and undoubtedly completely ignored for the rest of the series), which will also no doubt be used to double down on the terrible love story.

Abysmal episode of what has swiftly become a dumpster fire of a second season. I'll keep watching to see if it somehow improves in the final five episodes, but all I can honestly see happening is Nina continuing to single-handedly ruin the show with both her personality and her stupid romance (something which I was at least partially wary of from the very first PV way back when).
Aug 26, 2017 2:25 AM

Apr 2017
800MEric said:

I do agree that the romance got a little more time than needed. But it just showcases how Nina is naive and inexperienced with her feelings, she's just a alittle girl. Sorry that she ain't your regular killer loli which knows everything about the world and people. I am convinced that from now on we fight and there's not gonna be any space for romance anymore, so lets calm our titties.

So a ill constructed forced romance adds a human touch to the king? You know giving a actual backstory or insight to the motivations of the king would do that? This show is just bad, story is not good, but still has some entertaining aspects of it, but they've completely missed the opportunities to delve into the ideologies of the humans, gods, demons or even just write an actual compelling romance with the backdrop of the aforementioned issues.

And why not? Or what is a human touch in your opinion? After enslaving hordes of people he will go on the streets and throw out money to the poor? Or is he gonna get on beach trips? He clearly enjoyed the moments when he was passing by incognito through the city, if it was with Nina or without her (probably enjoyed it more with her, the dances, the football match etc). Romantic feeling and living for such desires is one of the definitions of being human. At least for me.

I just like people who have more things running under their skin than meets the yes. Charioce is one of them. He may look like an oppressive dictator, but if I try to emphatize with the comon human folk in the city, hell, he is a great ruler and I would worship him! He brought relative peace to its kind and gave humans the upper hand against Angels and Demons. Or you wanna live in slavery of another kinds?

I am not defending the romance by any means, I just accept it. The whole show is about Nina. When she turns to her Dragon form, there ain't a more important character and steals all the spotlights. She's a young lass who falls in love with almost any stranger and we all know those feelings are key to her transformations. It was almost deemed necessary that there had to be one character she had to completely fall for and why not to such a controversial character? It's ok with me. I like that this show mixes many genres together quite skilfully, as you may see, emotional ladies might find these episodes sweet.

And thus Virgin Soul is for me miles ahead than Genesis. Genesis was so rushed, it wall just all about one thing and the political conflict bestween those 3 factions wasn't too explored. Though I definitely miss all those Kaisar's "Favarooooooo!" moments, hopefully we'll get some of those.
Aug 26, 2017 3:04 AM

Dec 2015
How far this show has fallen...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 26, 2017 4:30 AM

Jul 2014
So Cindrella... But I actually have one question - why couldn't they take Charioce hostage or try to drag him with them, it'd be so much fun. Why-y?

Also I guess they decided to make Charioce's motivation the main mystery of the show, but I think that they haven't succeeded in writing around it or making him interesting enough (hot - yeah, interesting - sadly no).

I get that Nina is young and naive, but acting as if their relationships is rosy fine and he is a bully? No, he is a problematic, all around unsafe person, but she is not that stupid that she doesn't know that they stand at opposing sides and that the first time they danced they didn't know about it. Just, like - you're infiltrating his castle with a bunch of misfits, some of which are terrorists, to wreck his party and steal his weapon (and that would lead to his potential defeat against gods with a grudge, yeah), and then you ask him what is wrong?.. A lot is wrong, and there's a bunch of reasons you can't dance, it's reality, not him being an asshole at this point! The concept of consequences is often absent from the writing of this show. (Like with Alessand asking to join Onyx Soldiers, which would be an understandable move for him if only he hadn't been a captain of the very order that he says is done for! and he hadn't spent all his time drinking with demons in a brothel, which the onyx captin should be very aware of.)

It's good to see that the king thinks about his soldiers, finally. Because you don't betray people who willingly got messed up by magic for your case. But that subplot is messy too. Why are Onix Soldiers so eager to work with a demon? And it will make the king hate them later in story, so the loyalty conflict will be solved the easy way, I suppose.

---
On another note I don't get at all why people call the king psychopatic or whatnot. he is a ruler and a conqueror on a level of civilization when it's completely normal. Now, introducing slavery is another thing, though the hell most likely has it, would be illogical not to. But then he is also a post-catastrophy leader, we saw Bahamut, we saw the demonic armies attacking the capital in the first season, we saw what was the situation after in Jeanne's flashback. And demons and gods are not human, the usual argument "just like us" doesn't apply. I don't say that it's a good way of thinking, but it's very legit, it's not exactly the same as human races. So all in all his cruelty is mostly logical and because of his work. The colisseum fights are not though, yeah. And I don't even know what's the deal with them, because he is shown to be bored at them too all the time.
deadoptimistAug 26, 2017 4:56 AM
Aug 26, 2017 5:05 AM

Oct 2013
Maybe I should just drop the show
I don't care for Nina anymore. The main cast from the last season isn't getting enough focus. Rie Kugimiya is being wasted on a character like El who doesn't talk
Charioce could be like Yuji so I won't judge too much but I'm not enjoying him enough to care even if he has a noble goal like Yuji in the end
This love between enemies isn't impactful for me honestly. They hardly know each other so I'm guessing its just a sexual attraction which I don't care for.
Aug 26, 2017 5:35 AM

Dec 2013
Seriously this show should rename itself to "Nina ruins everything" and leave it at that. LoL

Cannot wait to see what the Gods and Demons will do now.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 26, 2017 5:55 AM
Jul 2016
deadoptimist said:
On another note I don't get at all why people call the king psychopatic or whatnot. He is a ruler and a conqueror on a level of civilization when it's completely normal. Now, introducing slavery is another thing, though the hell most likely has it, would be illogical not to. But then he is also a post-catastrophy leader, we saw Bahamut, we saw the demonic armies attacking the capital in the first season, we saw what was the situation after in Jeanne's flashback. And demons and gods are not human, the usual argument "just like us" doesn't apply. I don't say that it's a good way of thinking, but it's very legit, it's not exactly the same as human races. So all in all his cruelty is mostly logical and because of his work.

The thing is, he is not a conqueror. He is not attacking other humans, other countries, and trying to expand his territories. He is declaring war on gods and demons for no adequately explored reason. I can kinda understand attacking the demons (even though post catastrophy as you mentioned, any sane leader would focus on rebuilding) since they were fighting them in season 1 as well, but attacking the gods makes absolutely no sense, considering they were allies and all. If the king was afraid of being attacked by the demons, showcasing the new power humanity has would be enough to create a cold war situation at worst, bring peace at best. What Charioce is doing, he is obviously doing for personal reasons and he is putting his country, his people, and humanity in danger in the process. If that doesn't make him a psychopath, what does? Don't get me started on all the bloodshed, destruction, slavery, racism, all that nice stuff. And no matter how good a reason he has for his actions, he is irredeemable as a character.

deadoptimist said:
The colisseum fights are not though, yeah. And I don't even know what's the deal with them, because he is shown to be bored at them too all the time.

They are just a means of appeasing the masses. Of course the normal folks would love to see those demons they blame all their problems on murder each other and suffer.
Aug 26, 2017 7:18 AM

Jul 2014

It doesn't make him a psychopath. We're talking about politics, not personal relationships. A psychopath is either a mentally ill person, and he isn't, or one with an antisocial disorder, but he has the ability to care, even if that ability is maybe truncated. But most importantly his position does put him apart from conventional norms and definitions. A king or almost any ruler for that matter would be responsible for suffering of some people. (A lot of creatures in his case, yeah.)
Why can't I call him a conqueror, if he conquered the capital of hell and made the hell inhabitants into his slaves? Though yeah, it is unclear whether he maintains any sort of control over these territories or he simply raised Cocytus, breaking their might, and the little demon slaves are born locally.
The series also fails at showing him mending economy and building army, but since he suceeded in war we may assume that they had armor, weapons and people. So some rebuilding had been done before the attack, despite demons running wild in the capital.

What do you mean "if he was afraid to be attacked by the demons"? They waged war on the capital and were killing kids in the city just 7 years ago. That was shown in the anime, like, on the screen. Do you remember what Azazel was doing in season 1? And demons drove Charioce 13th mad after which he burned alive. Demons have been attacking humans, hurting them for ages, being stronger, magically superior. Of course, humans would want to give some of the pain back.
I agree that he seems to have personal issues with gods, but it's not that illogical as well. During the hard time of the demon attack in season 1, the gods got their prayer food, but didn't do jack shit for humanity besides Michael, and he was in love with his special woman (which also undermined the power of the king). Jeanne may love gods, but she is actually a walking advert "look what you can do if you're faithful", which is a lie, she gets special treatment because Michael wants her. Now that humanity has upper hand Charioce may want to change the status quo and use the gods' power for his people. It's selfish for the sake of his species and a power hungry risky move - but where is it psychopatic? Actually don't we appalud to people being their own gods and even deicide in many other fictional universes?
Also, I think, a cold war is possible when there's some sort of power parity for a long period of time, and they don't have that - Dromos has just been completed and the king with his Onyx elites don't have much time left, while demons and gods have longevity and magic on their side. He would want to rush.
Aug 26, 2017 7:44 AM
Jul 2017
10/10

I loved this episode, I enjoyed the dance it was beautiful but the festival dance will always be my favorite and I knew there had to be some angst coming. The flow of the episode was nice, Charioce and Nina's conversation was emotional. This is what I love about this anime, the facial expressions you can tell how sad they were especially Charioce who usually shows no emotions at all. I can see his sadness saying these harsh words to Nina and it was obvious it was for her protection. He wants to protect her from the onyx knights and also from the sadness that would come from his death. The Charioce scenes where he was looking at his arm and looking and Nina's shoes when they escaped you can see his sadness and how conflicted he is. He is a King after all he was planning to die ever since he took the throne and he has those who dedicated their lives for his goal (Onyx knights). He never expected to fall in love he knew he was going to die and that was it. Nina's presence in his life made him waver and maybe would want to stay alive to be with her. That explains his behavior this episode, he has a goal to fulfill and Nina can't be in his life if he wants to achieve it. So many death flags on him but I hope he won't die.

I love their relationship I find them to be a dynamic couple. I understand that alot of people are not happy with the romance since they wanted more adventure and action like Season 1 but I am a big fan of the romance this season. It is well-written and you have a very simple character like Nina and a very complex character like Charioce XVII falling in love, interacting, and they always make me look forward to their next meeting because they always meet in different circumstances each time. I'm a romance junkie and I find their story to be one of the best romance in anime out there because of how they developed with each other.

It was funny to see Rita's reaction to Nina and Charioce's dance like "and NOW how the hell did she get to dance with the King?" she knows that Charioce can recognize Nina since Rita saved her "not exactly" in episode 13 so I am pretty sure she knows something is going on with them both.

Gabriel is becoming a fallen angel? that would be interesting to see.

I love the bromance between Azazel and El looking forward to their interaction with Jeanne D'Arc.

That cliffhanger though. I hope Nina kicks the dragon slayer's ass and I hope the other crew joins them to save Kaisar and Favaro. I am very sure that if Charioce finds out that Onyx knights cooperated with a dragon slayer to kill nina he will be furious. I hope we can know what Charioce's goal is, I am so interested in his past I hope we get that before the last episode the goal and his backstory must be so important which explains why they are making us wait.

I forgot to mention that his behavior also explains that serious face he had in episode 17. That face looked like determination (for his goal) and not an evil (im gonna use her) glare that some thought it was. The necklace was a parting gift to Nina since he is following his goal and his goal will lead to his death.

Charioce is definitely my favorite character this season.
yaya-bxAug 26, 2017 7:54 AM

Aug 26, 2017 8:03 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
This has gotten completely senseless. Again and again they keep making plans with Nina in a central point, while she agrees even though she makes out with the enemy and there isn't even a single thought about what her position should really be. So ofc, SHE FAILS again and she gets sad that she can't make out with the enemy anymore while the rest are trying to stop him. But hey, who cares about that? Nina wants to daaance again... and maybe save a few people if it happens.

I mean, I don't even know anymore. Everyone is seemingly blind to Nina's crush and thus keep doing the same things that lead to the same failures, Favaro who certainly knows what's up (because apparently he is the only one who has a pair of eyes) is doing absolutely nothing because Nina's feelings are too precious compared to the world's existence and Nina plays both fields like they are completely unrelated.

I feel extremely sad that this so so, so, so badly executed romance has affected the story in such a way, that everyone keeps making stupid decisions with Nina in the center and just move on like nothing happened. I just hope Azazel gets his own story together with El, because honestly, everyone else is dragging him down currently.

I had so many hopes for this :< Even Charioce was a well-developed character before he was forced to play a romantic lead. Can't wait for this to end the way things are going. 5 episodes to go.
Aug 26, 2017 9:03 AM
Jul 2016
deadoptimist said:
It doesn't make him a psychopath. We're talking about politics, not personal relationships. A psychopath is either a mentally ill person, and he isn't, or one with an antisocial disorder, but he has the ability to care, even if that ability is maybe truncated.

What politics? Waging war for personal gain only and for reasons unknown to the viewers is supposed to be politics? And if he has the ability to care, it only applies to his girlfriend, certainly not the thousands of innocents he puts in danger with his actions. Don't call him a psychopath, name him whatever else you feel is fit to describe him. Point is, he is an inhumane tyrant with no moral values.

deadoptimist said:
But most importantly his position does put him apart from conventional norms and definitions. A king or almost any ruler for that matter would be responsible for suffering of some people (a lot of creatures in his case, yeah)

Again, people are suffering for reasons that are personal to the king. Not like he is doing all this for their sake.

deadoptimist said:
The series also fails at showing him mending economy and building army, but since he suceeded in war we may assume that they had armor, weapons and people. So some rebuilding had been done before the attack, despite demons running wild in the capital.

That's my problem, it's obvious that his (and the show's) main focus is taking down the gods and the demons, to the point where more important issues are just glossed over. We needed some actual world building. I can't assume that Charioce acted with the country's best interests in mind when everything in the capital is messed up.

deadoptimist said:
They waged war on the capital and were killing kids in the city just 7 years ago. That was shown in the anime, like, on the screen. Do you remember what Azazel was doing in season 1? Demons have been attacking humans, hurting them for ages, being stronger, magically superior. Of course, humans would want to give some of the pain back.

I meant after the incident with Bahamut, not season 1. And yes, of course humans would want to strike back, but again, Charioce attacks them because of his personal issues. And the power he wields is on a timer. When the king and the Onyx Knights are gone, who will protect the people? Charioce couldn't care less, that's for certain.

deadoptimist said:
I agree that he seems to have personal issues with gods, but it's not that illogical as well. During the hard time of the demon attack in season 1, the gods got their prayer food, but didn't do jack shit for humanity.

Sorry, but they did. They gave Jeanne the holy spear, Maltet. And they didn't help in the big battle because they were busy trying to stop Bahamut's seal from breaking.

deadoptimist said:
Also, I think, a cold war is possible when there's some sort of power parity for a long period of time, and they don't have that. Dromos has just been completed and the king with his Onyx elites don't have much time left, while demons and gods have longevity and magic on their side. He would want to rush.

The point in a cold war is letting your enemies know that you do have the power to destroy them. The bodies of the people wielding this power deteriorate only when they actually use said power. As for gods and demons living longer than humans, Charioce could just give the bracelet for Dromos to the next king. The same applies to the Onyx soldiers.
Aug 26, 2017 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
Favaro punch was the best part

Nina is getting on my nerves like can't we just have priorities.
But yeah the dance was really well animated.

Eventhough the romance in this ircs me, the episode didn't drag for me, which is good.

To be honest, I think people give Genesis too much credit, it wasn't the best written show out there. Actually it was kind of a mess towards the end. It was fun and that's pretty much it.
Baby, daijobanai...
Aug 26, 2017 10:58 AM
Mar 2016
Oh fuck thanks to Nina's foolishness, the plan is an epic fail.
Aug 26, 2017 11:01 AM

Jul 2014
Mouloxas said:
Again, people are suffering for reasons that are personal to the king. Not like he is doing all this for their sake.

And why's that? He says multiple times that he wants to make humans the strongest species (even to Kaisar, whom he likes in a way and whom he tried to convince). He made a vow for it during his coronation. That's actually important, you usually don't take a name and then immediately make a false vow you don't have to make.
It was established in the beginning that he rebuilt the economy, abolished crime (no bounties) and stopped demons from attacking people.
He always evacuates people during his operations in the city. And we haven't seen any executions of humans, despite there being a dungeon with forced labor (but we force labor on convicts even today).
Of course, not all that he does is beneficial, he banned religion, and Nina says that other places are more run down, but he has done a lot of good for his people.

What will he personally gain aside from maybe vengeance? He has lost an eye, his hand is corrupted, he can't dance with the girl he likes, his right hand knights are decomposing and he knows he will die. And you say yourself that others may inherit his power after he delivers the decisive blow, allowing humans to rule the other species.
The worse we can say about him from purely human pov is that he endangers humanity greatly by attacking gods. Demons were assholes anyway. That is true, but as far as we know he is sure that he will win and takes the gamble. It's not like there can't be sucessful war gambles.
Ok, maybe if we take a more in-depth approach, he also corrupts his people by introducing slavery, but that's also our modern view. Ancient Greece had slavery and we often celebrate it as an early pinnacle of democracy, science, art, etc.

deadoptimist said:
when everything in the capital is messed up.

But it isn't unless you're a demon? Until Nina met Azazel she was having a great time.

deadoptimist said:
I meant after the incident with Bahamut, not season 1.

Why would we discard it, if everyone in the cast was affected?

deadoptimist said:
Sorry, but they did. They gave Jeanne the holy spear, Maltet.

I am too lazy to check, but it probably was Michael or on Michael's insistence? And that's Jeanne again, one Jeanne who can't be everywhere. Micheal himself said that gods didn't work with humans enough.
And then Jeanne fails to protect that little girl, because they don't care again and she's lost her power. Are we forgetting that 7 years ago prior to the events of the show demons ran around the city killing people?

Ok, gods were busy, but is it surprising that someone wants to break the agreement with them after that?

No, with the current level of writing they can turn Charioce's motivation purely into revenge, and that will be an epic failure. But currently it doesn't yet look like that. He drones a lot about having a big goal too.
Aug 26, 2017 11:38 AM
Jul 2017
deadoptimist said:
Mouloxas said:

And why's that? He says multiple times that he wants to make humans the strongest species (even to Kaisar, whom he likes in a way and whom he tried to convince). He made a vow for it during his coronation. That's actually important, you usually don't take a name and then immediately make a false vow you don't have to make.
It was established in the beginning that he rebuilt the economy, abolished crime (no bounties) and stopped demons from attacking people.
He always evacuates people during his operations in the city. And we haven't seen any executions of humans, despite there being a dungeon with forced labor (but we force labor on convicts even today).
Of course, not all that he does is beneficial, he banned religion, and Nina says that other places are more run down, but he has done a lot of good for his people.

What will he personally gain aside from maybe vengeance? He has lost an eye, his hand is corrupted, he can't dance with the girl he likes, his right hand knights are decomposing and he knows he will die. And you say yourself that others may inherit his power after he delivers the decisive blow, allowing humans to rule the other species.
The worse we can say about him from purely human pov is that he endangers humanity greatly by attacking gods. Demons were assholes anyway. That is true, but as far as we know he is sure that he will win and takes the gamble. It's not like there can't be sucessful war gambles.
Ok, maybe if we take a more in-depth approach, he also corrupts his people by introducing slavery, but that's also our modern view. Ancient Greece had slavery and we often celebrate it as an early pinnacle of democracy, science, art, etc.

deadoptimist said:
when everything in the capital is messed up.

But it isn't unless you're a demon? Until Nina met Azazel she was having a great time.

deadoptimist said:
I meant after the incident with Bahamut, not season 1.

deadoptimist said:
Sorry, but they did. They gave Jeanne the holy spear, Maltet.

I am too lazy to check, but it probably was Michael or on Michael's insistence? And that's Jeanne again, one Jeanne who can't be everywhere. Micheal himself said that gods didn't work with humans enough.
And then Jeanne fails to protect that little girl, because they don't care again and she's lost her power. Are we forgetting that 7 years ago prior to the events of the show demons ran around the city killing people?

Ok, gods were busy, but is it surprising that someone wants to break the agreement with them after that?

No, with the current level of writing they can turn Charioce's motivation purely into revenge, and that will be an epic failure. But currently it doesn't yet look like that. He drones a lot about having a big goal too.

I agree with what deadoptimist said. Charioce isn't this ruthless ruler that wants power for himself. He is going after a greater goal that we don't know yet and this goal will determine how we "the audience" view him. Is he a villain? to me that is unlikely or is he a good guy? maybe. People's hate for a certain character makes them turn a blind eye to one of his most defining moments. When he took the throne he made his vows for mankind, everything he does he says is for humankind. We can see how he rebuilt the capital and how mankind overcome fear of gods and demons. He turned against the gods because they refused him for what he asked for. Demons terrorised humans for centuries. I read an analysis on his character calling him the ideal Machiavellian ruler "It is better to be feared than loved" and it made me understand his character even more. I think there is a greater evil that is about to appear "probably bahamut?" because it was mentioned previously that Eibos's seal is about to break and Charioce will have to use dromos again. He did say he won't hesitate even if that means he will perish and then resumes with it is better than the end of the world isn't it? . Why is he so focused on his goal unless it serves a greater good for the world? I can't wait to see what will happen in the next 5 episodes.

Aug 26, 2017 1:17 PM
Jul 2016
deadoptimist said:
And why's that? He says multiple times that he wants to make humans the strongest species. He made a vow for it during his coronation. That's actually important, you usually don't take a name and then immediately make a false vow you don't have to make. He always evacuates people during his operations in the city. He abolished the bounties.

Strongest species doesn't guarantee safety for his people right now though, it is something that may or may not happen in the future. And we have seen people complain when they have to be evacuated. Specifically, when he declared war on the gods and it became known that the capital was going to be invaded by them, the people completely turned on Charioce. Clearly, if they could decide for themselves they would never go against the gods. And he didn't abolish the bounties, it's just that the rag demon was the only bounty left.

deadoptimist said:
Until Nina met Azazel she was having a great time.

Only because she turned a blind eye to everything. Slavery and corruption were still a thing. Remember back when they were captured in episode 8, Nina told Charioce what she thought about him, that he is a horrible king pretty much.

deadoptimist said:

I am not discarding it. I am simply saying it is weird to go straight back to war after such a huge incident.

deadoptimist said:

Yes it is, it's not like they straight up abandoned them. And please let's not pretend Charioce is fighting them for that reason. I mean, if it actually turns out he was pissed off about such a thing, that would be the pinnacle of stupidity.

deadoptimist said:
What will he personally gain aside from maybe vengeance? With the current level of writing they can turn Charioce's motivation purely into revenge, and that will be an epic failure. But currently it doesn't yet look like that. He drones a lot about having a big goal too.

Honestly, i have no idea. But i also don't know what his big goal is. I cannot imagine what kind of reason would justify his actions. His actions cannot be justified. No way this is going to have a satisfactory ending.

yaya_90 said:
He is going after a greater goal that we don't know yet and this goal will determine how we view him. Why is he so focused on his goal unless it serves a greater good for the world?

I have no idea how killing gods and demons serves a greater good for the world. Really, what are they going to say? That by killing them, he will somehow then be able to destroy Bahamut whose name has barely ever been mentioned in this season and is safely sealed away for god knows how long? Tell me one scenario you can envisage in which the king is acting for the greater good. One scenario that can justify all the senseless killings, with an ending that will be satisfying and actually make sense while tying up all the loose ends.

Look, i really wanted this to be good, but i feel like there is no saving this show anymore.
Aug 26, 2017 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
Mouloxas said:
Strongest species doesn't guarantee safety for his people right now though, it is something that may or may not happen in the future. And we have seen people complain when they have to be evacuated. Specifically, when he declared war on the gods and it became known that the capital was going to be invaded by them, the people completely turned on Charioce.

Yeah, but before he subdued demons, they killed humans all the time. It's not that the situation was good.
He bets a lot on his plan, but he has prepared Dromos, which is impressive, has introduced a new magic, has trained magical troops. Actually El is the only specific anti-green magic weapon that helped the gods. Charioce was stupid to not look for El better, but he was not stupid or careless with the rest if his plan. They even use the demonic flying fortresses now.

Of course, people complain when evacuated, but they die less. Charioce is shown to be one of the revolutionary rulers, and they hurt their population during their rule to mold a new country. But later, if sucessful, they're seen as visionaries and heroes. It has happened a lot during our history.

That is a weak argument, but I honestly think that those riots were not shown very well. There was not enough material to see the situation in the human populace before, we don't know how wide the unrest is spread. The situation with religion wasn't explained very well too. But religious people would hold a grudge against him, that's for sure.

deadoptimist said:
Only because she turned a blind eye to everything. Slavery and corruption were still a thing. Remember back when they were captured in episode 8, Nina told Charioce what she thought about him, that he is a horrible king pretty much.

That was long after she got involved with Azazel, which she honestly shouldn't have done.
But in the beginning she was ok in a plentiful and peaceful capital. Which is what most people would see.

deadoptimist said:
I am not discarding it. I am simply saying it is weird to go straight back to war after such a huge incident.

Not really, if you have a grudge. And grudges are often used to rebuild, because hate is a great motivation, and you need motivation when everything is in ruins.
It would be a clever (even if messed up) move for Charioce to fuel the rise of his nation by hate, but we don't know whether he did. His words during the coronation indicate so, but, interestingly, they seem ready to integrate demons into their society. Aside from a few sick people, who may be willing to do the same to humans, if demons weren't cheaper and safer to kill, people don't seem to focus on torturing demons all that much. But they hate gods.

deadoptimist said:
And please let's not pretend Charioce is fighting them for that reason. I mean, if it actually turns out he was pissed off about such a thing, that would be the pinnacle of stupidity.

And why is not liking the situation when the old treaty is not respected stupid? Why should they waste time on praying, not building green magic weapons, for example? Why should they spend money on churches and rituals, if the gods don't help when needed, and even then it's one lady, and not for the sake of said prayers?
As we saw in the flashback their situation was dire. Demons kill humans in their homes, and Jeanne is powerless, then wounded. Gabriel has learnt nothing from the deaths of other archangels

deadoptimist said:
Honestly, i have no idea. But i also don't know what his big goal is. I cannot imagine what kind of reason would justify his actions. His actions cannot be justified. No way this is going to have a satisfactory ending.

He will most likely die. But so far he has been built as a logical leader, not evil for the sake of evil. Well, initially he was built like that, because lately he has just been standing around and I won't put it past the team to make them fight aliens in the end or something. As others have said I feel the focus shifting on fighting some greater evil. It is extremely lame.
Yet nothing indicates that he kills for pleasure.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

316 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

99 by latght »»
Dec 12, 2023 4:06 PM

» When does this epic series return?

NexCore - Apr 7, 2022

8 by GraviticF7L »»
Oct 7, 2023 7:20 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2017

112 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 21, 2023 3:45 PM

» A Question..

L-Lawliet7 - Feb 9, 2023

2 by Aotfangirl »»
Feb 15, 2023 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.