Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2017 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
In my opinion it is a problem for several reasons to include all the movies and sequel from one anime. For example there are six Gintama and four Mushishi related entries in the top 50.

Problem No.1
Most important problem imho is clutter. Popular anime like gintama just push out other shows without it having any benefit. I mean, why do we have this list? i often scroll through it to see whats out there that i havent watched yet and is highly rated. It would be much more usable as a recommendation tool if it would only include one entry for the series as a whole.

Problem No.2
The scores are obscured. If People drop a show because they dislike it, they give it a bad ranking and this leads to an inflation of the scores from the sequels. This effect of course varies but you can just verify that for yourself.

Im not sure what the best way to implement this would be, but just packaging all the related entries like sequels and movie spinoffs into one main entry and maybe average the score or only display the score of the firs series. I think it would go a long way towards making the toplist what it is supposed to be.
Aug 23, 2017 11:20 AM

Nov 2014
1st Why do you make a new suggestion for something that already suggested thousands of times, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

2nd There are several reasons why it shouldn't be done:
If you merge them, then you basically disregard the different studios and whatsoever that might differ in every season. Also there are several anime where you just cant do that even if its the same franchise (eg. Fate series)

3rd Your second problem is nonexistent, from what I saw not a single anime's score skyrocket under several seasons. (eg. like you said all of Gintama's seasons are in the top 50 not just the last), actually its more like the opposite. Most of times if someone want to show their hate for the series they just mark every season completed (or dropped with 12 eps) rate it 1, even if they didn't even looked at it.

But I guess I just waste my time here, cause this is just a tipical "I don't like that Gintama rules the top 10" kind of post.
DelenaiAug 23, 2017 11:27 AM
Aug 23, 2017 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
@Delenai
Sry i just did't know what to search for in that regard so i just searched manually for a while and did't find anything.

I understand that there are shows that are done by other studios or make a comeback years later or have a sudden rise in quality but in my opinion it does not really serve the purpose it tries to archieve. I could be wrong in assumin that this is the case for everyone, but i for one use the list to look for new stuff and not to measure season 2 from one anime against season 4 from another. I am very interested in hearing your take on this.

I took Gintama out as an example just because it has the most entries, i have no grudge against that anime. Again my bad if i stepped on anyones toes with that one.

I was really not trying to bitch here. It doesn't really matter to me which show is where, it just seems so ugly if there is so much redundant information in the list. It would look "cleaner" and more organised that way imho.
Aug 23, 2017 2:45 PM

Nov 2014
@zangenmann

I could be wrong in assumin that this is the case for everyone, but i for one use the list to look for new stuff and not to measure season 2 from one anime against season 4 from another. I am very interested in hearing your take on this.

Sure I don't mind the grouping itself its just a matter how would you do it?
Probably grouping them under the highest score would be the best.
If you would make an average from the scores, then the random specials and OVAs would pull the score to the abyss, and the whole Top Ranking would change for the worse.

Then there's the probably bigger matter how would you program it?
Right now MAL don't have a way to recognize animes as part of a franchise. How should I say?... There is no such a thing in the DB for Gintama that that is the Gintama franchise. (At least from what I know)

The only thing MAL has is some relation chart, that can be really wierd, so it can't be used this way.
I've seen anime that has 70+ related other anime and many was part of an entirely different anime, that was only there because of some random collaboration special. And these specials are not rare at all. eg. https://myanimelist.net/manga/25146/One_Piece_x_Toriko?q=one%20piece%20x%20 (this is manga, but there are anime collaborations too).

So tl:dr unless MAL decides to give right to someone, who would make this whole franchise thing, this wont happen (cause they will never do it, and wont give you the right to do it even if you would)
DelenaiAug 23, 2017 3:06 PM
Aug 23, 2017 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
The score averages would have to consider OVAs and such weighted differently. also i would give the most weight to the main series/first season and then try around a little and adjust it so that the current rankings dont get lost.

As for the implementation it's hard to say without having insight but the "related works" would be the most obvious. This related works tab would have to be reworked, because if only the franchise is listed in the toplist then all the other works and sequels would need to appear on the page of the anime once you click on it. For example as one of the tabs like "reviews" "recommendations" and such.

Well it's for the MAL team to decide what is worth to change. Im not as childish as to expect that everything i say needs to happen ^^ Had this on my mind for a while now and decided to put it out there and make myself be heard.

Aug 23, 2017 3:54 PM

Dec 2015
zangenmann said:
The score averages would have to consider OVAs and such weighted differently. also i would give the most weight to the main series/first season and then try around a little and adjust it so that the current rankings dont get lost.

As for the implementation it's hard to say without having insight but the "related works" would be the most obvious. This related works tab would have to be reworked, because if only the franchise is listed in the toplist then all the other works and sequels would need to appear on the page of the anime once you click on it. For example as one of the tabs like "reviews" "recommendations" and such.

Well it's for the MAL team to decide what is worth to change. Im not as childish as to expect that everything i say needs to happen ^^ Had this on my mind for a while now and decided to put it out there and make myself be heard.

Well to do that would make sense if you were writing a top n list for a youtube video or a magazine article, but not for an anime site.
Jan 6, 2018 4:14 AM
Jun 2016
zangenmann said:
In my opinion it is a problem for several reasons to include all the movies and sequel from one anime. For example there are six Gintama and four Mushishi related entries in the top 50.

Problem No.1
Most important problem imho is clutter. Popular anime like gintama just push out other shows without it having any benefit. I mean, why do we have this list? i often scroll through it to see whats out there that i havent watched yet and is highly rated. It would be much more usable as a recommendation tool if it would only include one entry for the series as a whole.

Problem No.2
The scores are obscured. If People drop a show because they dislike it, they give it a bad ranking and this leads to an inflation of the scores from the sequels. This effect of course varies but you can just verify that for yourself.

Im not sure what the best way to implement this would be, but just packaging all the related entries like sequels and movie spinoffs into one main entry and maybe average the score or only display the score of the firs series. I think it would go a long way towards making the toplist what it is supposed to be.
I support this whole-heartedly. It doesn't need even to be the default setting, just to have a button that filters out sequels will come in handy.

I must say on the whole "a sequel could be massively better than its prequel" matter, that entire idea is irrelevant. A sequel being better doesn't change the fact that you need to watch the entire first season to enjoy a show.

Additionally, this should probably be handled on a case by case basis, using the complaints of the users as a crude means of sorting. Mahoutsukai no Yome is a good example of where this would be an issue, and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure would also be an issue as is Barakamon. But perhaps we could in most cases use the entry with the shortest title, and as far as Jojo's goes I don't know enough to comment. Ultimately though, these are all a matters that can be resolved by manually sorting those with the greatest number of user complaints (Despite the more popular anime being likely to get more complaints than the less popular ones, I can't yet think of a workaround for that).

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.