Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 20, 2017 8:00 PM

Jan 2017
Alot of people who loved the manga didnt like the film because of how much was missing from the manga (for all Intents and purposes it's hard fitting 7 volumes in 2 hours) but for me it was rather the opposite. I was sadly disappointed by the Manga when I first read it, going to serious lengths to find all 7V throughout London (I could have just ordered it online) and read the lot in 2 days, only.to find it was not what I thought it would be. Its not that it was bad, I just couldn't bring myself to give it the flawless ratings everyone praised it for. Then by the end of the film I was practically tearing and applauding along with everyone else at the cinema. To me even with its flaws, it was perfect. It's clear A Silent Voice was meant to be seen this way, most Importantly it was meant to be heard.
Naoko Yamada was the perfect director to make a film that put meaning into every scene, every colour, every little sign from leg shots to flowers while keeping the emotional expression in the sign language throughout. Funny for a director who struggles to put thoughts into words, is perfect for putting thoughts into her animations especially through characters body language. Something that doesn't hold so well in the manga.

The biggest problem I had however was the lack of focus on the most important aspect of the story, Shouko and Shoya. While many readers loved the making a movie plot in the novel, I personally found that it was poorly done as it simply came across as filler for secondary characters who didn't mean much by the end. While I felt like Miyoko was underdone in the film, the rest of the secondary characters purpose came across just as clearly as it was meant to in the manga. Characters such as Shouko's sister who were most important were just as good in both.By taking out the movie plot in the Anime, allowed it to focus more on Shoya trying to redeem himself with Shouko and focused more on the bond that develops between the 2. This is clearly shown through the 2 scenes I found done much better in the Anime, the scene where the 2 meet after the attempted suicide at the bridge, and the ending. To me the ending wasn't just better than the manga, it was perfect for the story, representing the beauty of sound.

I could go on but I want to know what you guys think
Oct 18, 2017 3:43 AM
Jun 2016
I agree with you, the film is better than the manga. And I will summarize the most significant reasons in dot point format
- The anime communicates largely through subtlety whereas the manga communicates very explicitly. It is a well known literature rule that you "show, don't tell" and the manga violates this majorly
- KYOTO ANIMATION IS FUCKING AMAZING
- The burning of the money in the anime was accidental, in the manga it was (assuming I remember and interpreted correctly) intentional. That's just insane, and it was horrifying when the mother asked for him to earn the money back. I'm of the belief that I misinterpreted simply because of the absurdity. But then again, there are reasons it works, such as creating a hook and prompting thought
- The logic behind Shouya jumping off the balcony made no sense. In the film it was purely a result of the laws of physics, whereas in the manga he jumped off because ... he wanted to see whether the fall would kill someone. Never mind that his determination won't save any lives.
- Did I mention that KYOTO ANIMATION Is FUCKING AMAZING

And now for my reasons why the manga has merit:
- The youth element of the story is a lot more fleshed out
- The scene where Mashiba throws water on the teacher
- We find out the characters career motivations

EDIT: I'd also like to note, the characters are not more simplified in the film, but if you weren't paying attention to the subtlety, the viewer might find them simple (even if they've read the manga and know what to look for). This movie doesn't handhold, and because of that toddlers don't see the bus (The bus here representing detailed characters)
Oct 21, 2017 3:26 PM

Jan 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
I agree with you, the film is better than the manga. And I will summarize the most significant reasons in dot point format
- The anime communicates largely through subtlety whereas the manga communicates very explicitly. It is a well known literature rule that you "show, don't tell" and the manga violates this majorly
- KYOTO ANIMATION IS FUCKING AMAZING
- The burning of the money in the anime was accidental, in the manga it was (assuming I remember and interpreted correctly) intentional. That's just insane, and it was horrifying when the mother asked for him to earn the money back. I'm of the belief that I misinterpreted simply because of the absurdity. But then again, there are reasons it works, such as creating a hook and prompting thought
- The logic behind Shouya jumping off the balcony made no sense. In the film it was purely a result of the laws of physics, whereas in the manga he jumped off because ... he wanted to see whether the fall would kill someone. Never mind that his determination won't save any lives.
- Did I mention that KYOTO ANIMATION Is FUCKING AMAZING

And now for my reasons why the manga has merit:
- The youth element of the story is a lot more fleshed out
- The scene where Mashiba throws water on the teacher
- We find out the characters career motivations

EDIT: I'd also like to note, the characters are not more simplified in the film, but if you weren't paying attention to the subtlety, the viewer might find them simple (even if they've read the manga and know what to look for). This movie doesn't handhold, and because of that toddlers don't see the bus (The bus here representing detailed characters)

I agree with all of this. There is a lot of scenes in the manga that just felt on the nose, the anime was far more detailed by showing such simple things. I felt like I better understood some characters just by watching the setting or their body language, a lot of that is down to the animation and Naoko Yamada. Yes their plot points are cut short in the film because of time, but they still represent what they were suppose to in the manga...just minus the sub plot. Show don't tell. Also about the burning the money situation, it was intentional in the manga which I thought was crazy, it was done better in the anime.
Oct 21, 2017 4:46 PM
Jun 2016
Kingsman117 said:
I agree with all of this. There is a lot of scenes in the manga that just felt on the nose, the anime was far more detailed by showing such simple things. I felt like I better understood some characters just by watching the setting or their body language, a lot of that is down to the animation and Naoko Yamada. Yes their plot points are cut short in the film because of time, but they still represent what they were suppose to in the manga...just minus the sub plot. Show don't tell. Also about the burning the money situation, it was intentional in the manga which I thought was crazy, it was done better in the anime.
I've watched the movie 6 times (With no intention of stopping), but I doubt I could even read the manga a second time because it doesn't lend itself to detailed analysis.
Oct 21, 2017 5:16 PM

Oct 2015
I don't know, a lot of characters became really useless in the anime that you can even not include them at any moment and their significance in the anime is very irrelevant. + I didn't like how they didn't show what Shouko was really feeling inside (besides her suicidal thought) why she was always smiling even when someone is bullying her. They made Shouko look like someone " Oh, you're the one who bullied me? Oh it's okay everything's fine " which clearly I didn't like
Oct 21, 2017 5:24 PM

May 2015
EGOIST said:
I don't know, a lot of characters became really useless in the anime that you can even not include them at any moment and their significance in the anime is very irrelevant. + I didn't like how they didn't show what Shouko was really feeling inside (besides her suicidal thought) why she was always smiling even when someone is bullying her. They made Shouko look like someone " Oh, you're the one who bullied me? Oh it's okay everything's fine " which clearly I didn't like

Um, she never acted like that. She never thought that "everything was fine" She could tell that he changed. That's why she accepted him.

Oct 21, 2017 5:29 PM

Oct 2015
Kittens-kun said:
EGOIST said:

Um, she never acted like that. She never thought that "everything was fine" She could tell that he changed. That's why she accepted him.
That's why. In the manga, she did accept him but she still has hie gripes on what he did to her (basically things she really disliked) but the anime made it look like that. I'm sorry but you can't really forgive someone that easily who bullied you to an extent and have no qualms about it.Her thoughts/motivations/intentions were never shown. It was all Ishida which is a big turn off for me.
Oct 21, 2017 5:30 PM

May 2015
EGOIST said:
Kittens-kun said:

That's why. In the manga, she did accept him but she still has hie gripes on what he did to her (basically things she really disliked) but the anime made it look like that. I'm sorry but you can't really forgive someone that easily who bullied you to an extent and have no qualms about it.Her thoughts/motivations/intentions were never shown. It was all Ishida which is a big turn off for me.

I don't see it that way, at all. But ok.

Oct 21, 2017 5:35 PM

Oct 2015
Kittens-kun said:
EGOIST said:

Yeah, I guess I'm just nitpicking too much but I still fail to see the anime being better than the manga by a long run (not saying the anime is bad though, I'd probably like it more if I haven't read the manga before watching :p)
Oct 21, 2017 5:35 PM

Oct 2015
Kittens-kun said:
EGOIST said:

Yeah, I guess I'm just nitpicking too much but I still fail to see the anime being better than the manga by a long run (not saying the anime is bad though, I'd probably like it more if I haven't read the manga before watching :p)
Oct 21, 2017 5:41 PM

Jun 2016
I'd say the anime is better, but then again I still dislike the movie and the manga (literally dropping it after 2 volumes) so take that as you will.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2017 6:51 PM
Jun 2016
EGOIST said:
Kittens-kun said:

Someone's thoughts/motivations not being shown isn't a criticism. In fact, I consider it a compliment to the film. Unlike so many other anime, this film is willing to give the viewer credit to infer and interpret. Dark Souls is such a good game because it doesn't baby you, and Koe no Katachi is great for the same reason.

Oct 23, 2017 10:16 PM
Jul 2015
The series won't be great without the movie. The movie is a perfect example of how sound and cinematographic can deliver such masterpiece.

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.