Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aug 20, 2017 12:17 PM

Description looks really generic, the mc turning into non other than a 15 year old (is Japan obsessed with number 15 or what lol). Looks like another Sword Art wannabe, something like Overlord at least had an interesting idea of an evil mc.

To those who read manga: how is it? How does it compare to previously mentioned shows? Does it try to do anything different or just remains generic/cliche etc?
Modified by PzKpfw_VI_Tiger, Feb 11, 2018 9:30 AM

Aug 20, 2017 7:35 PM
I recommend reading the web novel version compared to the manga,

Compared to overlord, and sword art,
Death March has less drama and edgy stuff and focus more on worldbuilding, exploring the world, food and levelling up the MC's party. i dont know much about why the MC is turned into 15, but the fact that in previous world he was a 29 yr old game developer makes the foundation for the whole story. because , due to his job and age, he tends to see and solve problem in more structured way. Also, he was blessed with ridiculously OP power when he came to the world, things like destroying demon lord is like a walk in the park for MC.

The story also focus more on destroying your common sense like

"Oh, a rare high level hydra that can defeat thousand royal knights easily?...lets be careful not to ruin its meat... hydra meat is best grilled with a bit of salt after all. "
"Oh found a flying high level 100 meter long whale which can level cities in mere seconds?.. lets use my newly developed laser beam to turn it to sashimi for my party members"
"Oh ,a legendary orihalcum divine sword which can defeat demon lord?.. this can be a nice kitchen knife"

Thats the kind of vibe of what death march web novel is, although im not sure how the studio will turn this into anime successfully, cause theres a lot of worldbuidling need to be incoporated even for a 24 episode anime.
Modified by jejai1, Aug 20, 2017 8:07 PM

Aug 24, 2017 2:30 AM
I can only speak of the webnovel.
The story is properly developed, the MC is not the annoying wimp type. It's mostly a comedy / slice of life anime with some action mixed in.

I suggest reading the webnovel, because the anime is probably going to be poorly adapted because of the time restrictions.

Webnovel: (The translation has caught up to the original, there is usually 1 new chapter per week.)
http://www.sousetsuka.com/p/blog-page_11.html

LN illustrations:

Sep 20, 2017 2:56 PM
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:
Description looks really generic, the mc turning into non other than a 15 year old (is Japan obsessed with number or what 15 lol). Looks like another Sword Art wannabe, something like Overlord at least had an interesting idea of an evil mc.

To those who read manga: how is it? How does it compare to previously mentioned shows? Does it try to do anything different or just remains generic/cliche etc?

Never go off the manga. But based off WN spoilers, it does look pretty uninspired, as expected.

Sep 22, 2017 3:00 PM
I mean all of these people are reading the webnovel, but coming from the manga myself I think it's actually going to be quite interesting. Sure, the MC is OP as f*** and nothing really fazes him, but the story is not really about combat, but more about character development and exploring the story world. I hope it's going to be done well, and will hope it's 24 episodes because there's a lot going on and it'll be hard to represent it all for 12 episodes. But otherwise as I'm enjoying the manga I'll give this a watch when it comes out. (Although yeah it does look generic but hey, it's what people like, just pick something and hope that it's good lol. Also from what I've read there's not that much immaturity as the MC is 29 mentally so he handles things like a 29y/o and not freak out like a 15 y/o).

Oct 4, 2017 3:20 AM
I agree with you. We have a dark haired teenage boy who wakes up in a fantasy world. The rest of the cast is, surprisingly, exclusively pretty females. So a harem without really being a harem.
I have no objections towards the Isekai trope as long as it brings something interesting and unique. This just seems a mashup of previous similar animes (Think SAO, Dungeon ni blablabla...etc.).

Oct 4, 2017 4:24 AM

Gotta get into it cause I've heard it gets really good later down the line and before anyone says it, it's not a bloody SAO CLONE!!!
All the fools who go around hating on everything should stick to them eighties anime.

After all isn't that the golden age of TV anime.

Oct 4, 2017 4:29 AM

This is what you can expect of this series:

Oct 4, 2017 4:37 AM

I just hope best girl wins this time

Oct 4, 2017 6:19 AM
Noting wrong with have more shows similar to SAO and Overlord. Just because it similar does not mean it is bad.

Oct 4, 2017 4:54 PM

BlackFIFA19 said:
This is what you can expect of this series:

Yeah, this is a good Slice of Life Series.

Oct 4, 2017 4:55 PM

tragedydesu said:

Well, Our M.C didn't pay attention so much to all girls beside him I can say /

Oct 5, 2017 8:47 AM

Isekai? Check. An isekai based on a LN? Check. Not really looking up in terms of originality lmao.

I don't know how many times I'm going to be tricked by people who'll always claim that "No, this isekai is actually good, I read the LN" and cycling through Re: Monster, Re: Zero, that slime LN, or whatever comes next before realizing how uninspired and consistently awful this genre is. Konosuba seems to be the only exception and it makes fun of isekai lmao

It being SoL is a positive but everything else about this screams avoid.

Oct 7, 2017 6:01 AM
cookies0 said:
I can only speak of the webnovel.
The story is properly developed, the MC is not the annoying wimp type. It's mostly a comedy / slice of life anime with some action mixed in.

I suggest reading the webnovel, because the anime is probably going to be poorly adapted because of the time restrictions.

Webnovel: (The translation has caught up to the original, there is usually 1 new chapter per week.)
http://www.sousetsuka.com/p/blog-page_11.html

LN illustrations:

You guys convinced me to try this

Oct 8, 2017 2:06 AM
What differs this from SAO and Overlord?
Fluff. Straight-up cute scenes with fluff everywhere. Awesome parts here and there but fluff is dominant.
What is the most worrying about this adaptation is the change in age. This is a bit detrimental to the making of the character since in the novels, he's a late 20s game designer who got suck into his own game. Damn executives, sacrificing good story telling for audience pandering...

Oct 9, 2017 8:22 AM
darkjar001 said:
What differs this from SAO and Overlord?
Fluff. Straight-up cute scenes with fluff everywhere. Awesome parts here and there but fluff is dominant.
What is the most worrying about this adaptation is the change in age. This is a bit detrimental to the making of the character since in the novels, he's a late 20s game designer who got suck into his own game. Damn executives, sacrificing good story telling for audience pandering...

In the web novel he still turns 15, it's one of the things he can't figure out why and also a reason that a lot of the characters fall for him. His age get him a lot of attention and serves a purpose. It's not for audience pandering but rather helps with character building and he still has the mindset of his previous age so he doesn't have the cliche'd mc reactions to advances from females. He also does sleep with "night workers" in the novel. The thing that really sets apart the novel from sao or overlord is that it's not about him wanting to take over the world or be the strongest bs mc. He already starts at a high point and the story is more about him trying to figure out why what happened did and get to the bottom of the secrets of this alternate world. The story is primarily slice of life, there are action scenes and fights but most of them aren't tough fights. The real issue is if they make the anime based off the manga and not the novel as the manga does some really crappy pg-ifying to scenes and content

Oct 17, 2017 11:40 AM

Fantasy Check.
Game Check.
Harem Check.
Isekai Check.
Just by looking at the genre's I know I'll be watching this, I'm a sucker for this "Generic" type of show.
~Filthy Dragoncraft main.

Oct 28, 2017 12:20 PM
I'm looking forward to Pochi nanodesu! and tama's voice actress sounds really fitting.

Nov 7, 2017 1:17 AM
~ PR Cheerio ~

I can only speak for the manga (which isn't much reliable) but I think it's not that bad. It's pretty much cute and fluff from what I've read. Which is just run in the mill SoL.

Nov 7, 2017 1:22 AM

I haven't read it but it seems like your typical fantasy isekai based on a LN so I expect it to be popular for this very reason
"He's already special. Because he was... born into this world."

Nov 7, 2017 1:27 AM

Seems generic or cliché but it still got some good points.

eg. SAO's Mother Rosario arc - some romance(harem) & action anime doesn't have those part pretty often.
Signature is too good to show. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 7, 2017 1:36 AM
~ PR Cheerio ~

Danae said:
I haven't read it but it seems like your typical fantasy isekai based on a LN so I expect it to be popular for this very reason

I highly doubt it would be popular or at least very damn known. This is just your typical Isekai SoL series. In a sense. I guess the best comparison to it would be Isekai Shokudou in some sense, except not really into like "go and meet other people from other worlds behind a door" type of thing. Setting is the usual thing but that's really the most decent comparison I can put in a way?

Nov 7, 2017 1:47 AM
This one's quite an inferior series compared to Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou and Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru.

In both of those above titles, the MC is not the only male to be summoned to an Isekai world and there will be at least 2 males in the main cast, while this Death March crap has just one male character in the main cast with your typical "single male lead harem" setting. Don't we already have enough of that crap yet in the market ?
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

Nov 7, 2017 1:53 AM
~ PR Cheerio ~

CoolitzHubertXVI said:
This one's quite an inferior series compared to Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou and Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru.

In both of those above titles, the MC is not the only male to be summoned to an Isekai world and there will be at least 2 males in the main cast, while this Death March crap has just one male character in the main cast with your typical "single male lead harem" setting. Don't we already have enough of that crap yet in the market ?

We do have a lot to be honest. I don't think its awful (I think its good for a mild ride) but not that amazing to say the least.

But people can just try to ignore it I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That's just me.

Nov 7, 2017 2:33 AM
IMHO, Japanese Anime Studios are making a very terrible mistake.

Instead of focusing on "Single Male Lead Fantasy Battle Harem" shows, they should make more anime adaptations of shows where there are at least 2 male characters in the main cast of the show.

In other words, we need more "2 Males in the Main Cast Fantasy Battle" shows ( Harem optional for either or both males as long as both gets their own girl at the end ) than single male lead harem shows, as having just one male lead in a main cast where everyone else other than the MC are females is a setting that has been done to death.

Anime Studios in Japan have lots of options for such a 2 male main cast shows. For example, we have one Visual Novel here that has fighting/battle scenes, superpowers in a modern setting, hence "LOW FANTASY". Low Fantasy means, fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world. It is different than Isekai series set in HIGH FANTASY settings, in which the HIGH means, stories which take place in a fictional world with its own set of rules and physical laws.

The VN I'm about to inform you here with that Low Fantasy setting, has 2 Male Protagonists in it, and in the VN, both of them will each get their own girl in the end. The title of that VN is "Gensou no Idea", and it very much deserves an Anime Adaptation, as the girls in it are very cute with funny and playful/flamboyant personalities, and adorable. Here is a pic of the characters from "Gensou no Idea", and the main girls for both of the male leads if I'm not mistaken are the pink-haired girl for the black-haired 1st male lead and the purple haired girl clinging to the arm of the red-haired 2nd male lead standing next to a blonde >> https://visualnovelthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/p2159.jpg

As for LNs, we have one series with 2 MALES in the MAIN CAST, and that is "Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru". That series is an Isekai series set in a High Fantasy setting.

In this series, it reverses the trend of single male lead MCs getting a harem, by making the MC's best friend gets a harem first instead of the MC. However, even though the MC won't be getting his own harem so far in the story, he will still interact mostly with one girl in his party, so it is quite fair for both males in that LN's main cast.

Here is a pic of the LN, "Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru" >> https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/f/f2/Isekai_Mahou_wa_Okureteru%21.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171015182457 The black haired guy standing next to the winking red-haired girl is the MC, and the brown-haired male flanked by 2 girls is the MC's best friend.

Anime studios needs to animate more Low Fantasy and High Fantasy LN/WN/VN series with at least 2 males in the main cast, as refined anime viewers and veteran anime connoisseurs are already sick and tired of the single male lead harem setting, which has overflooded the Anime market for pleasing and attracting sales mostly from friendless single virgin Weebs and Otakus.

I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

Nov 7, 2017 2:39 AM

CoolitzHubertXVI said:
IMHO, Japanese Anime Studios are making a very terrible mistake.

Instead of focusing on "Single Male Lead Fantasy Battle Harem" shows, they should make more anime adaptations of shows where there are at least 2 male characters in the main cast of the show.

In other words, we need more "2 Males in the Main Cast Fantasy Battle" shows ( Harem optional for either or both males as long as both gets their own girl at the end ) than single male lead harem shows, as having just one male lead in a main cast where everyone else other than the MC are females is a setting that has been done to death.

Anime Studios in Japan have lots of options for such a 2 male main cast shows. For example, we have one Visual Novel here that has fighting/battle scenes, superpowers in a modern setting, hence "LOW FANTASY". Low Fantasy means, fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world. It is different than Isekai series set in HIGH FANTASY settings, in which the HIGH means, stories which take place in a fictional world with its own set of rules and physical laws.

The VN I'm about to inform you here with that Low Fantasy setting, has 2 Male Protagonists in it, and in the VN, both of them will each get their own girl in the end. The title of that VN is "Gensou no Idea", and it very much deserves an Anime Adaptation, as the girls in it are very cute with funny and playful/flamboyant personalities, and adorable. Here is a pic of the characters from "Gensou no Idea", and the main girls for both of the male leads if I'm not mistaken are the pink-haired girl for the black-haired 1st male lead and the purple haired girl clinging to the arm of the red-haired 2nd male lead standing next to a blonde >> https://visualnovelthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/p2159.jpg

As for LNs, we have one series with 2 MALES in the MAIN CAST, and that is "Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru". That series is an Isekai series set in a High Fantasy setting.

In this series, it reverses the trend of single male lead MCs getting a harem, by making the MC's best friend gets a harem first instead of the MC. However, even though the MC won't be getting his own harem so far in the story, he will still interact mostly with one girl in his party, so it is quite fair for both males in that LN's main cast.

Here is a pic of the LN, "Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru" >> https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/f/f2/Isekai_Mahou_wa_Okureteru%21.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171015182457 The black haired guy standing next to the winking red-haired girl is the MC, and the brown-haired male flanked by 2 girls is the MC's best friend.

Anime studios needs to animate more Low Fantasy and High Fantasy LN/WN/VN series with at least 2 males in the main cast, as refined anime viewers and veteran anime connoisseurs are already sick and tired of the single male lead harem setting, which has overflooded the Anime market for pleasing and attracting sales mostly from friendless single virgin Weebs and Otakus.

I have the feeling that one will receive an adaptation . Just hope for that.

Nov 12, 2017 5:23 AM
Seems like a beta version of Shield-bro series
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 15, 2017 8:24 PM

Well this looks like all of recent popular trapped in the video game anime combined into one.

OP MC
Limited Power
Wanting leisure life.

Nov 16, 2017 12:04 PM
No male characters other than the MC in this show ??? There are many other LNs/Mangas with other side males appearing that would make better adaptations, like :

1. Kenja no Mago ( MC's best male friend is a prince of a kingdom )
2. Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata ( 2 guys and 1 female from High School gets summoned to an Isekai )
3. Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru ( Same setting as above with 2 guys and 1 female )
4. Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou ( the whole class got summoned, and not just the MC. They might be sub-characters appearing just for the very beginning, but they're still male characters, and to convey a solid worldview, depicting other story-related males are important )

Another LN like this one where the MC's party consists only of females, and no other important male on the good side appearing, is Isekai Cheat Magician. My policy is to avoid all Anime shows with no 2nd male character in the main cast, so I guess I will not be watching Death March when it airs next year.

Single Male Lead Harems are a no-no for me. It's quite revolting and nauseating to see that the only core people that the male MC would be interacting with for 99% of the show would be females, as a show with no male sidekick/best buddy or any other important 2nd male lead is something that I find boring and lacking. Besides, in a Single Male Lead Harem, only the MC benefits, and all other mob males appearing would only exist to make the MC look kewl in front of all his harem cuties.

Nov 17, 2017 8:40 PM

It's simply a comfy story about an OP cook exploring the fantasy world with his daughterus (literally most of them are lolis), and killing Demon Lords as a side quest.

The director is Shin Oonuma. He directed Anne Happy, Nourin, BakaTest, Rokujouma, and also this season's Imouto sae Ireba Ii. Most of these are harem with a generic sounding setting, yet still managed to be quite good. So I think it has potential to be a decent, comfy SoL.

Having only one male MC will probably turn off a lot of people though. But the story won't be as bad as Isekai Smartphone, at least.
fun things are fun

Nov 17, 2017 9:04 PM

''I SWEAR GUYS THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT ITS NOT YOUR NORMAL LN TRY IT''

Nov 17, 2017 9:18 PM

DatRandomDude said:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.

It's definitely one of the more generic ones out there. How well it's written is a different matter though.
fun things are fun

Nov 17, 2017 9:36 PM

FrostWings said:
DatRandomDude said:

It's definitely one of the more generic ones out there. How well it's written is a different matter though.
It sure looks like it.
Its just that there's always at least a couple of people like that when a LN gets adapted and kinda looks like this one is no exception when look at this thread.

Nov 18, 2017 1:29 AM
~ PR Cheerio ~

DatRandomDude said:
FrostWings said:

It sure looks like it.
Its just that there's always at least a couple of people like that when a LN gets adapted and kinda looks like this one is no exception when look at this thread.

Well the thing is even I admit that it's no different from anything else. I did said this again, its a decent pass time series and its comfy as well (hence why I'm watching the show) but other than that it's not something note worthy if you want something completely different or executed differently.

Nov 26, 2017 11:16 AM
Prog_upworks13 said:
tragedydesu said:

Well, Our M.C didn't pay attention so much to all girls beside him I can say /

but won't stop waifu wars and people ruining everything

Dec 5, 2017 5:25 AM

Isekai premise - Check
Game premise - Check
Single male cast - Check
Harem cocc succer - Check
15yo, kirito like - Check
OP from beginning - Check

Pretty simillar to smartphone, i bet this gonna masterpiece as smartphone c:

P.S (Kirito not op, he's know how to play and take the game serious)

Dec 5, 2017 6:53 AM

It's web novel has surprisingly one of the most boring start I've read, if it wasn't for the "true harem", I would have no qualms dropping it at the 8th volume. And I'm enjoying it now that I didn't drop this.

In spite of that, I'm very glad that the light novel improved and headed to a new better direction rather than polishing the WN.

I don't know about the manga but if it's following the LN it'll be good someday.

If the anime will adapt the LN up to it's 3rd volume or up to more than that but less than 6, I'M TELLING YOU NOW THAT IT'LL BE A GENERIC ANIME HAHAHAHA

Dec 5, 2017 8:33 AM

Probably 8 at its best due being an Isekai and unoriginal summary.

Judging from few post ahead it's similar to slice of life like Isekai.

I had no hope on this anime but I'll just watch it because maybe it interesting?
But overall as usual LN adaptation unlikely to get a full adaptation so there's literally little to no chance I'll giving it 10.
Hope it'll be somewhere on 8-9 but with this RPG like theme i doubt it'll hit 9.

Dec 6, 2017 9:01 AM

evoniee said:
Isekai premise - Check
Game premise - Check
Single male cast - Check
Harem cocc succer - Check
15yo, kirito like - Check
OP from beginning - Check

Pretty simillar to smartphone, i bet this gonna masterpiece as smartphone c:

P.S (Kirito not op, he's know how to play and take the game serious)

Actually about half of the main group "harem" is not even romantically interested in the main character even up until the CURRENT CHAPTER of the webnovel.

Also the main character isn't the only person who got transported. There are others, who got either summoned or reincarnated as well, including a bona fide male "hero" who appears quite a bit later on and is good friends with the main character - and has his own "harem".

Unfortunately the anime probably won't reach the part when the main character finally "settles down" first in the labyrinth city and then the capital city. Because that's when the series really picks up and the main character starts to essentially secretly take control of the whole "underground dealings" of the nation and even literally playing different roles at the same time.
Modified by Grey-Zone, Dec 6, 2017 9:04 AM

Dec 7, 2017 4:11 AM
I don't care if it's generic. Being an isekai/RPG type anime and having an OP mc are enough to convince me to watch! Isekai is my drug!!

Dec 9, 2017 3:15 AM

like a lot of people have said this is one IS very generic, but again it's just a nice fluffy series for turning your brain off for a while though there are some cool moments here and there.

Still I don't know if this will be a turn off for some people out there (it was for me) but this is one of those where the MC is OP AF, but he decides to not tell anyone and he dons a disguise whenever he fights soooo yeah it's one of those.

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.

Dec 16, 2017 10:06 PM

jejai1 said:
I dont know much about why the MC is turned into 15, but the fact that in previous world he was a 29 yr old game developer makes the foundation for the whole story.

In early fantasy tabletop RPGs, 15-16 could be a starting age for a first level character.

Grey-Zone said:

Also the main character isn't the only person who got transported. There are others, who got either summoned or reincarnated as well, including a bona fide male "hero" who appears quite a bit later on and is good friends with the main character - and has his own "harem".

IIRC from the WN, there was one kingdom that was simply transporting random people from the modern world (or alternate timelines) and seeing if they had a useful ability.

Dec 18, 2017 10:50 PM

I can't deny that it is the case, but saying that something is generic is basically like saying nothing at all.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. The setting is interesting, I like the characters.

Also, it gets a Brownie point for not having a dense MC.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
I don't think about breasts all the time. Only 30 minutes a day. - Aoyama

Dec 19, 2017 2:47 PM

I feel like this is the show where people will really start getting tired of isekai light novel shit, which is good.
:3

Dec 20, 2017 3:28 AM

I skimmed over the first 2 chapters in the LN (since they're the only ones I found translated... yea I ain't good in finding translated LNs...), this is definitely generic and uninspired trash.
It's world-building is bare bones, bad dialogue, annoying character archetypes. I got all of that from the first 2 chapters... so yeah, I envision it having a score of around a 6 on here.
Or maybe because the concept is so pandering, around 7.10
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963

Dec 20, 2017 4:24 PM

SigmaticDoc said:
I skimmed over the first 2 chapters in the LN (since they're the only ones I found translated... yea I ain't good in finding translated LNs...), this is definitely generic and uninspired trash.
It's world-building is bare bones, bad dialogue, annoying character archetypes. I got all of that from the first 2 chapters... so yeah, I envision it having a score of around a 6 on here.

But... But... In Silver Link we trust right?
Eh what the heck... if this is going to be about the same in quality as Strike the Blood then whatever, I won't complain.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Dec 20, 2017 4:42 PM

lazypigz said:
SigmaticDoc said:

But... But... In Silver Link we trust right?
Eh what the heck... if this is going to be about the same in quality as Strike the Blood then whatever, I won't complain.

Besides 2-3 productions Silver Link is mostly a bad studio anyways.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963

Dec 20, 2017 9:34 PM
This reminds me a lot of Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni, which was interesting for 1 episode, then was 11 episodes of a god among mortals gaining a literal harem, all willing to marry and bang him. This seems really similar and sounds like a child made the character. "my guy has super powers that destroys armies and he gets all the hot chicks". When will we get another transport adventure-gamey style anime where they start from the bottom instead of getting god's fist from day 1?

Dec 21, 2017 7:27 PM

ScienceFiction97 said:
This reminds me a lot of Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni, which was interesting for 1 episode, then was 11 episodes of a god among mortals gaining a literal harem, all willing to marry and bang him. This seems really similar and sounds like a child made the character. "my guy has super powers that destroys armies and he gets all the hot chicks".

Please don't make this comparison. Compared to Death March, Smartphone is complete trash. Smartphone (both the Web Novel and the Anime version) started off slightly interesting, but started relying on templates very early on and you can actually SEE the moment the author started relying on template developments in Smartphone (escpacially in the WN version).

Death March on the other hand stays true to itself from beginning to current WN chapters and most importantly Death March is self-aware that with it's overpowered protagonist it just cannot be an adventure or action story. And sure enough it isn't either of these two, but it's rather a slice-of-life story set in fantasy world (with a limited amount of game elements) that's primarily about sight-seeing, cooking and most importantly "common sense breaking" (this actually works well because even at current WN chapters it still doesn't feel like it's being overused), along with the occassional action scene here than there, but that's not so important.

The "main story" (if you can even call it that) of Death March also really takes it's sweet time, you could actually insert a Skyrim meme here. The main motivation of the protagonist isn't some extravagant "dream" like in a shounen series, but rather just to live his life with just the right balance. The only thing that might qualify as a "long term goal" is to learn why he suddenly appeard in that "other world" (and one other thing much later on that I cannot mention because of spoilers) but as I said, you can compare it to how the main story of Skyrim was just kinda forgotten by most people in favor of everything else. Even up to the current Death March WN chapters there had only been 3-4 scenes that scratched the surface on why he appeard in the other world.

Consequently the long time that's available because of the main story being a loose thing with no clear objectives most of the time it leaves time for the massive world building - moreover it's not in the form of infodumps, but rather in the form of (often summarized) monologues that mostly have direct connection with something happening in the present and I think it's quite nice in both WN and manga versions, though there has yet to be a verdict regarding the anime version.

Please don't compare these two fundamentally different series. Unfortunately Death March is really just too slow for some people and despite being warned that it's a slice-of-life series they'd complain about "tensionless fights". It's true that I can count the amount of times I felt the tension, one would expect from action scenes, with a single hand, but that's actually the point. It seems many people got so used to isekais being about adventures, action and harem that they subconciously reject the idea that's it's actually a slice-of-life. There's the superficial similarity in appearence to Kirito as well, even though their characters are quite different. But either way, many people probably just come with the wrong expectation of what the series actually is, even though I myself think the fact that the main character is OP and cares more about the aftermath than the battle was hammered quite early on in the WN and manga versions.
Anyone who actually pays attention should be able to notice that, at least that's what I think how it is. I think in regards to the series getting misunderstood about what it's all about, Overlord is actually quite similar.

ScienceFiction97 said:
When will we get another transport adventure-gamey style anime where they start from the bottom instead of getting god's fist from day 1?

You'll have to wait for Kumo Desu Ga Nani Ka to get adapted then. The female protagonist, who reincarnated into a spider starts off very weak. She got a little advantage over others in a certain way, but she actually starts of really weak and could easily be killed off if she's just a little bit careless. It's a great WN/LN with a great story and also got an ongoing manga adaption.

Dec 22, 2017 3:40 AM

yep, it's just your everyday [trapped in another world] bullshit.

>alpha 15 yo male MC
>OP MC
>a harem
>a (really generic) fantasy setting (worldbuilding my ass, these have been done to death, it's getting really stale)
>vidya gaem bullshit

oh well, maybe I just hate the fact that these generic [Isekai] shit has gotten more popular as of lately...

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »