Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 20, 2017 3:28 AM

Nov 2012
What do you think about it? Does it add a little bit of spice to have a gay guy after MC rather than the same generic scenario of only girls attracted to the protagonist?

Same for question for "reverse harems".
Aug 20, 2017 3:36 AM

Jul 2015
personally i hate them in harems
they don't add anything and the anime just take them as a joke
a lesbian can work in harem (a girl is attracted to the best girl and cuck the mc in the end .. insta 10/10)

gay male characters can work in reverse harems

Aug 20, 2017 3:39 AM

Apr 2013
I believe they do, I've always had the desire to witness a harem series where a lesbian competes against the main protagonist for a certain character within the harem (I was in the process of creating a rough copy of that concept) or where a crossdressing male who is in love with the main protagonist keeps on crosdressing to compete with the rest of the harem but he also does this because he is insecure that the main protagonist will love him back for who he really is (I'm also in the process of writing a rough copy for that concept) but if a homosexual character who is part of the harem is just used for gags and stuff it comes off as distasteful but bah, if any of the two concepts I spoke of are done in Anime/Manga form I might find myself being a huge fan of them
Aidoru-OjisanAug 20, 2017 3:44 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 20, 2017 3:40 AM

Apr 2016
Gay characters have no place in "normal" harem shows.
Aug 20, 2017 3:41 AM

May 2015
The only example of a harem with a a male feeling attraction towards the male main character was Ruka Urushibara and that alone didn't make the Steins;Gate a less generic harem. Also Ruka being one of the most annoying characters I have ever seen didn't help.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2017 3:44 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
They're always treated like a joke anyway so not really. But even assuming it was done seriously, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the target audience for harems are straight people so I doubt having a gay guy as part of a harem will be a positive thing for too many of its viewers. So no I think they're pretty pointless

Though if it's a lesbian girl being in love with one of the harem members rather than a gay guy being in love with the MC then yeah that's not a bad idea I think (or the inverted scenario in a reverse harem)
Aug 20, 2017 3:56 AM

Apr 2017
Honestly after seeing Issei get stripped by Shirou was completely *ridiculous* dumbass plan
-HippySnob-Aug 20, 2017 9:38 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 20, 2017 7:20 AM

Apr 2017
Utsuro no skirt no naka (this is the name if i was not wrong) made me think the the opposite .. it does not add anything special but discomfort .. i rather watch straight shows then going after gay animes

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Aug 20, 2017 8:54 AM

Feb 2016
Oh well, i'd personally like to see more of it.

Koi to Uso have Nisaka, which is basically the only reason why i'm watching that joke of a show.

There's that girl from this show too

These are the only harem i've watched with gay characters being into MC (and not as a joke).... Or the only ones i recall.

llorandoAug 20, 2017 7:20 PM
Aug 20, 2017 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
Maybe if you're bi (which would be a Western Otaku exclusive), but the average anime watcher is a straight male who loves cute girls.

Aug 20, 2017 9:40 AM
Feb 2016
That's fucking cute. We just need more gay stuff in general, and some more entirely gay harems.
Aug 20, 2017 9:43 AM

Jul 2016
only if the protag was bi and they were an actual serious choice OR the protag is a gay/bi man in a reverse harem (ie all the people after him are guys). Of course, I don't think the former has ever actually happened and if there are guys in a normal harem they're just the butt of (usually homophobic) jokes so I'd rather them just not exist.
tragedydesu said:

a lesbian can work in harem (a girl is attracted to the best girl and cuck the mc in the end .. insta 10/10)

If boringprotagonist-kun actually got his love interest snatched away by another girl as endgame that would be the greatest anime ending of all time
Aug 20, 2017 10:50 AM

Dec 2015
CaptLolicon said:
Maybe if you're bi (which would be a Western Otaku exclusive), but the average anime watcher is a straight male who loves cute girls.

We need more straight males who love cute guys.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2017 10:55 AM

Mar 2014
Gay harem members are the best kind of harem members, especially when they're voiced by Megumi Ogata
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 20, 2017 10:59 AM

Aug 2015
I'm for anything that's interesting. As long as he's there for more than just comic relief, I wouldn't be against it.
Aug 20, 2017 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
I watch harems from time to time and if there's a gay guy in it he's usually my favorite in the series.
Aug 20, 2017 11:00 AM
Dec 2016
I wouldn't mind him if he is fragile , cute, with long hair, wears a girl uniform and they don't mention his gender too often.
Aug 20, 2017 12:39 PM

Apr 2015
Only if they go all the way and have him win in the end.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 20, 2017 12:41 PM

Sep 2009
I think it's stupid (and trashy) because most of the time, they're only there as a joke and never have a real chance.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 20, 2017 12:43 PM

Feb 2010
Hm let me think about this.... No, harems would still be my least favorite genre.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 20, 2017 12:49 PM

Apr 2017
No. Its just another person chasing after a MC I don't care about.

I rather see the entire harem turn gay and forget about the MC.
Aug 20, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2016
Not really, doesn't change the fact that MC is being chased around by lovestruck characters, it is a welcome change though, I've been seeing it quite a lot.
Aug 20, 2017 1:02 PM

Sep 2012
There was a short manga with a harem, but the main guy was gay so he didn't give a shit about any of them.

It's probably the greatest thing on the planet.
Aug 20, 2017 1:56 PM

Jun 2011
joecool24 said:
CaptLolicon said:

But...that doesn't even make sense :/
Aug 20, 2017 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
Fuck no. Japan already laughs at homosexuals, adding them in straight harems would just aggravate the situation.

Aug 20, 2017 2:02 PM

Feb 2015
Mhhh... I still think that harem/ecchi series should have fanservice featuring fappable waifu.
Aug 20, 2017 2:06 PM

Jul 2017
Yaoi fanservice? Sure if the gayboy gets analed like in Kore wa Zombie I don't mind it

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Aug 23, 2017 6:49 AM

Mar 2012
But.. but Wolfram sucks too much. He's such a generic abusive gay tsundere! Oh wait, calling him "generic" would still be an insult to Chitoge, at lest the bitch girl was kind enough to let the MC "choose". The poor boy's fate was pretty much sealed when he slapped Wolf for insulting his mother.

But if someone like Wolfram appears in a generic harem situation, I'd love to see him get ignored and trashed for the garbage he is by any girl from the harem.
Aug 23, 2017 6:53 AM

Apr 2013
joecool24 said:
CaptLolicon said:

YES- oh you don't mean crossdressers huh... um then still YES

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 23, 2017 6:58 AM

Mar 2012
You can read Shunshiki no Adam if you want. It's smut though so don't expect too much about it. MAL didn't have good pic but here is the character I mentioned.

NeoAnkaraAug 23, 2017 7:09 AM
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 23, 2017 7:00 AM

Apr 2017
Does baka and test count as a harem, if so then Kubo is a fucking treasure and anyone who disagrees can kiss a thousand asses
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 23, 2017 7:04 AM

Jul 2013
I still haven't seen an harem with a male character who is gay for the MC (traps doesn't counts), and I personally don't like the idea too much. You supossedly watch harems (not reverse harems) for the girls (or traps), adding a male romantic interest for the protagonist looks out of place.
Aug 23, 2017 7:11 AM

Jan 2017
I guess I've only ever seen a guy win over the MC in a harem full of girls was in Haganai...

Also in Kiss Him, Not Me, the girl in the harem seemed like she had somewhat of a shot, despite the fact it was blatantly obvious she wouldn't win.

I've seen the trope in other places as well, but those are some examples of times I didn't see it played up for laughs. Personally, I think it doesn't necessarily add to a harem where it is established the MC is straight.
Aug 23, 2017 8:15 AM

Nov 2009
It depends on the character. Hanagata from Saber Marionette J was really annoying, but little brother from Hoshizora wo Kakaru Hashi was really cute (and about the only thing that made that anime memorable). Overall, I am okay with this.
Aug 23, 2017 8:46 AM

Oct 2007
Tsukihiko said:
Oh well, i'd personally like to see more of it.

Koi to Uso have Nisaka, which is basically the only reason why i'm watching that joke of a show.

There's that girl from this show too

These are the only harem i've watched with gay characters being into MC (and not as a joke).... Or the only ones i recall.

HA! I knew I couldn't have been imagining that in
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 23, 2017 3:07 PM

Oct 2015
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
I've always had the desire to witness a harem series where a lesbian competes against the main protagonist for a certain character within the harem

It is not explicitly said so, but I got the impression that Anastasia in OniAi might be that. Also some other girls in that show may take interest in some other girl(s) every now or then.
At least OniAi was what made me wonder about a harem where either all, or all but one girl are actually in the harem because they're after one or all of the other girls, not the boy. :D

Incidentally, that Anastasia is one of the few reasons to watch that show, she is kinda funny with her usually emotionless expression and voice (Chihara Minori)
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

93 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

29 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 55 minutes ago

16 by Coaghim »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.