Forum Settings
Forums

Hollywood Production of 'Death Note' Premieres Worldwide on Netflix on August 25

New
Aug 18, 2017 7:23 PM

Jul 2009
A live-action film adaptation of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's Death Note manga made its red carpet premiere in New York City on Thursday. The film, which is produced for distribution by streaming media platform Netflix, will be released worldwide on August 25.

Japanese American actor Masi Oka (Heroes), who co-produced the film, tweeted a photograph of a Times Square billboard advertisement for Death Note (pictured) on the day of the premiere. The other producers credited along with Oka are veteran producers of American remakes of Asian productions, including Roy Lee (The Ring executive producer), Dan Lin (The Departed development executive), and Jason Hoffs (Edge of Tomorrow producer).

American film production company Warner Bros., whose Japanese unit had distributed earlier live-action film adaptations of Death Note, acquired the rights for a Hollywood production in 2009. Last year, Netflix purchased those rights for an estimated US$40–50 million. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, director Adam Wingard revealed that Warner Bros. had planned to abandon the production before Netflix expressed interest in the project.

Netflix's synopsis for the film indicates that the story focuses on protagonist Light Turner, who finds a supernatural notebook and uses it to mete out death, attracting the attention of a detective, a demon, and a girl in his class. Actor Nat Wolff plays the role of Light Turner, with Keith Stanfield starring as the detective L and Willem Dafoe as the god of death Ryuk.

At an advance screening at San Diego Comic-Con last month, Oka indicated that both Ohba and Obata have seen the completed film. According to The Inquisitr, a statement released by Ohba praised the film as an "A-level thriller masterpiece" with its characters staying "faithful to satisfying their desires." Obata pointed out that although the film "both followed and diverged" from the original story, it exceeded his expectations with a "high level of quality, sophistication, and attention to every detail."

Death Note will be released in three languages—English, Japanese, and Russian. Netflix lists the film with a running time of 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Trailer

Official site: https://www.netflix.com/title/80122759

Source: Entertainment Weekly, The Inquisitr
arsonalAug 19, 2017 7:36 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Aug 18, 2017 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
Will give it a try.
Aug 18, 2017 7:43 PM

May 2010
Not expecting much, but looking forward to check it out. I mean, it can't be worse than Japanese adaptations...

:v
Aug 18, 2017 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
would prefer a tv series instead.

You cannot tell a perfect anime (up til 27) in a few hours.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 18, 2017 7:58 PM

Jun 2014
obviously it's would be sucks
Aug 18, 2017 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
Oh yeah, it hasn't come out yet. Keep forgetting about when it did.

Will give it a shot, if only for Willem DaFoe.
Aug 18, 2017 8:30 PM
Jan 2017
Ah yes. The fans would be 'dying' to watch this.
Aug 18, 2017 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
L is black. . . Keep that in mind everyone. Might still watch it though.
Aug 18, 2017 10:24 PM
Aug 2014
Willem Defoe is really the selling point for me. I'd probably give it a go just because I have Netflix, but Defoe does make it sound a little exciting.
Aug 18, 2017 11:56 PM

Dec 2012
Black L is fucking hilarious. Surely the antics of a frail, weird and awkward japanese shut in will fit a black person to a T.

Lots of things will be lost in the adaptation. Can't wait to laugh at the trainwreck.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Aug 19, 2017 12:11 AM

May 2012
Just going to go into it not comparing it to the Anime and as its own adaption in the hope that I can enjoy.

Don't forget this isn't actually adapted for just anime fans eithers, it'll be a stand alone for people who might not be interested in Anime but might still see the story as an interesting concept.

To be fair, I enjoyed the Japanese live actions anyone, they had their issues but they were still somewhat interesting to be fair.
Aug 19, 2017 12:31 AM

Apr 2016
Interesting, though it'll prolly suck ass.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Aug 19, 2017 3:49 AM

Jun 2016
I'm watching this because of Willem Dafoe. Fuck everyone.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 19, 2017 4:05 AM

Jan 2013
Comet said:

vegeta8639 said:
L is black. . . Keep that in mind everyone.
Meaning what?

Seriously? I don't believe for a second they cast him just because he was the best actor that auditioned for the part. They just wanted a black guy to play the smartest character for political reasons even though he's literally suppose to be the palest character in the entire series.
From a pale emo shut in to a negro. And it's one of the main characters too, not some rando on that sidelines who nobody gives a shit about.
Aug 19, 2017 5:26 AM

Feb 2012
I mean its an ok flick to watch if you're already a fan of Death Note.

Don't go into it expecting it to be a 1:1 copy from the manga. Just go and see "their version" of the series. Don't be a butt hurt elitist. Be a open minded anime lad who can accept changes done to his series in other mediums.
Aug 19, 2017 6:07 AM

Sep 2012
LPT: when you see a user with blatant Nazi imagery and try-hard "le controversial le offensive!!!!" posts, don't even bother responding.

OnT: this looks like trash. I got secondhand cringe from the trailer.
Aug 19, 2017 8:38 AM

Sep 2008
What bother me is...
That people from Netflix couldn't decide if they want follow original or make own story.
This would be better if they make something like "Death Note Light Up the New World" movie.
New story, new characters, but with references to original story.

L's habits fit so much to his personality and look... all these habits in Netflix!L are so forced and unnatural... is like you know it was made to be more like original L.

When I thought at last Ryuk will bring something from original story, he is like there pushing Light to use notebook and hide in shadows...

I don't have Netflix accound and I don't plan use free trial to watch it,
because... Netflix's Death Note is just another action/thiller film and there is nothing in it what I loved in original story.
Aug 19, 2017 12:28 PM

Oct 2016
Can't wait to see people bitching about "Light" being a white guy while completely ignoring the fact that "L" is a black guy.

From the trailer, there seems to be a bit more romance in this because it seems like I saw "Light" making out with "Misa" in the trailer.

I'm not gonna hold my breath because it will probably be terrible, but I will give it a shot just because it's a Netflix production so we might get slightly better quality.
Aug 19, 2017 1:07 PM
Jun 2017
characters dont fill the roles accurately from anime/manga but whatever
Aug 19, 2017 3:33 PM

Mar 2016
It's gonna be shit. That much should be clear by now, considering the wests track record
Aug 19, 2017 8:23 PM

Mar 2015
can't be worse than japan one...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 20, 2017 12:30 AM

Nov 2013
Jak said:
Can't wait to see people bitching about "Light" being a white guy while completely ignoring the fact that "L" is a black guy.

From the trailer, there seems to be a bit more romance in this because it seems like I saw "Light" making out with "Misa" in the trailer.

I'm not gonna hold my breath because it will probably be terrible, but I will give it a shot just because it's a Netflix production so we might get slightly better quality.
This whole forum is people talking about "L" being a black guy though...
Aug 20, 2017 12:43 AM

Nov 2013
vegeta8639 said:
Comet said:

Meaning what?

Seriously? I don't believe for a second they cast him just because he was the best actor that auditioned for the part. They just wanted a black guy to play the smartest character for political reasons even though he's literally suppose to be the palest character in the entire series.
From a pale emo shut in to a negro. And it's one of the main characters too, not some rando on that sidelines who nobody gives a shit about.
The Hollywood version only has the same names, the characters are not the same, they are the opposite from the anime. That's why he's not pale. Sorry your dreams of a pale L didn't happen but there's still the JP live actions to watch. :)
Aug 20, 2017 6:32 AM

Jul 2008
vegeta8639 said:

This, and let's not forget the kind of people who'll go "so what if they cast a black guy?" are likely the same hypocrites who complain about whitewashing in other adaptations.

Aug 20, 2017 7:56 AM

Oct 2016
momosemomo said:
Jak said:

I actually meant critics who would throw around accusations of "whitewashing".
Aug 20, 2017 8:26 AM

Jan 2013
Nickienator said:
vegeta8639 said:

This, and let's not forget the kind of people who'll go "so what if they cast a black guy?" are likely the same hypocrites who complain about whitewashing in other adaptations.

I don't care how many black people they cast in what but what's the point of changing an established characters race if it's not for some political brownie points.
And it's always gonna be from white to some other race, the opposite would get your project boycotted and you'd be slandered as a racist. The guy who plays Light looks pretty close to the character but this black L bs is just meant to piss off fans and please anti white racists.
Aug 20, 2017 9:08 AM

Jul 2008
vegeta8639 said:
Nickienator said:

I don't care how many black people they cast in what but what's the point of changing an established characters race if it's not for some political brownie points.
And it's always gonna be from white to some other race, the opposite would get your project boycotted and you'd be slandered as a racist. The guy who plays Light looks pretty close to the character but this black L bs is just meant to piss off fans and please anti white racists.

Are you trying to tell me that my plan to make a new movie about the life of Nelson Mandela with a white actor playing the role of Mandela might bring trouble?

Aug 20, 2017 10:09 AM

Jul 2015
I'm going in hopeful. It seems like it'll be telling their own version of Death Note, which is fine by me. I'm not really salty about it not being 1:1. The trailers so far didn't look terrible to me, so we'll see.
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."
Aug 20, 2017 12:08 PM

Nov 2013
Jak said:
momosemomo said:
I actually meant critics who would throw around accusations of "whitewashing".
I've seen bitching about both everywhere but I still find calling it white washing a bit dumb
Aug 27, 2017 2:37 PM
Aug 2017
I'm honestly not expecting too much. The characters in this version of Death Note don't look that similar to the characters in the actual Death Note anime.

But it'll probably still be decent anyways!
Sep 3, 2017 4:54 AM
Sep 2017
Terrible casting. The actor who played L is so Misa Misa feels. Dumb and clingy
Nov 20, 2017 7:32 AM

Apr 2016
Jesus people stop reviewing old threads, i then must removing my inappropriate comments.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 6 hours ago

12 by Hoppy »»
26 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
6 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
6 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
9 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.