3It was OK
18.6%
2Disliked it
13.7%
1Hated it
4.9%
Average 3.8
102 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 18, 2017 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The stories in this series always has a tragic feel.
I mean, a father getting involved with a drunkard that puts him into a hospital...

Of course, the episode took on the dark approach of a deal being involved with hell. What's interesting is that Michiru is involved in this deal. Some humans can be so cruel to others. I think the punishment is very well delivered.

I do find it interesting that Michiru took on the role that Ai would normally take by sending them to hell.
Aug 18, 2017 9:34 AM

Sep 2011
So, Michiru was totally against becoming Hell Girl... and then suddenly she just is Hell Girl? Did I somehow miss a scene? There was no transition, no explanation, no explicit or implicit motivation... It feels like there had to have been a whole scene that happened off-screen to show how she went from "I'll never be Hell Girl!" to "Here's your straw doll," and since we didn't get to see it her actions feel completely disjointed... And what happens to Ai now? Whatever happened to that whole "You'll work for me FOREVER" thing from the end of Mitsuganea?

That said, while I have to say it's been pretty disappointing, it at least feels like they had some good ideas... but they just couldn't execute them well in so little time while still doing the episodic parts of the story every episode... I'd be curious to see what the budget looked like for this season and some comparisons to put it into perspective. With the strangely poor animation quality, only getting 12 episodes, and using half of them to basically just show old episodes, my instinct is to say it had to have been an insanely bad budget this season... though it still seems like a lot to explain with just budget concerns...

Hopefully they at least do something interesting with these reminisce episodes...
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Aug 18, 2017 11:22 AM

Aug 2015
The final episode for Michiru's arc. Hoo boy.

Michiru, The Hell Girl
I am somehow glad that Michiru have done her first job well. Yamawaro's choice of being her companion made me feel bittersweet. Starting from Mitsuganae, we have seen him together with Ai & the others, creating the feeling of familiarity; seeing him absent from the original Hell's Crew made me kinda' sad, but at the same time, I am glad coz' at least Michiru had a friend to work with her.

I wonder what drove Michiru to accept the role despite going against it on the first place. Could it be that she understands the pain of her first client, Yui?

That part when Michiru motivates Kazama (previous eps. bully victim) to live and smile for his parents 100% convinced me that Michiru's style of working (as the Hell Girl) will be completely different than Ai. She even present her damnation speech in different lines of sentences, mentioning 'Heaven'. The Sagae's must've been religious when they're still alive.

I really like her kimono. It is refreshing to see a design that had western-esque infuence to it; the roses, I mean. I'm not sure if I could explain how it relates. 😅😅

I wish I can see more Michiru in action torturing people, wuhahaha!!.

Story & Animation
The story is kinda' sad. That drunken men are such a-holes, using their powers & influence to pay a thug only to cover a crime that they've made?! WTF?!

I have mixed feelings; happy & sad when Yui asked her lover to smile when she got arrested for ending her own father's life. It must've been painful to end the suffering of the one you love the most; knowing that her father might not recover and was alive by the aid of machines. Uhh. I can't describe but my heart feels heavy when she decided to do that.

As for the animation, I am dissatisfied. I was expecting that it will have a fluid animation but nope. The production crew totally screw their budget use on this season. They probably care more about the Pachinko exclusive episodes than the anime itself. I just hope that the Blu-Ray/DVD animation will justify the animation quality for Yoi no Togi. 🙏🙏🙏

Atmosphere-wise, it is still kinda' empty. Glad that we can see a glimpse of Ai's twilight home. The OSTs are rehashing the prior OSTs, the supernatural vibe is lacking. Oh well.

Potential Sequel??
The Voice Actress for Michiru, Watada Misaki, mentioned in her Youtube channel that Yoi no Togi will be the climax of the Hell Girl series. She also said that we, viewers, should pay attention to what Michiru will say.

The sentence from Michiru that was stuck to my mind is "Let's meet in Heaven". Is it possible?? Michiru said that she wants to have faith in what her mother have said, that is the existance of Hell for the bad, and Heaven for the good.

At the end scene, Wanyuudo comments on Michiru's sentence, saying that it's impossible for them to meet in Heaven. Does this imply that, if there is a sequel to Hell Girl after this, do they (the whole Hell's Crew) will be given redemption? It is very unlikely but I can only hope for that.

So.. Next eps. will be the Reminiscence Arc. Hopefully it will be worthy to be watched. Again. Let's see how this is going. 😐😐😐
dustyriceAug 18, 2017 11:28 AM
Peridot is my favorite Crystal Gem.
Aug 18, 2017 11:24 AM

May 2017
I always wandered what would happen if you would write your own name in the site, and the last scene kinda answered my question.
Aug 18, 2017 12:59 PM

Dec 2013
I'm confused... she was being so adamant about becoming the new Hell Girl, and then suddenly midway through the episode she WAS the new Hell Girl...

Like what the hell happened exactly?
Is this something that happened in the manga too?
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 18, 2017 2:28 PM

Nov 2015
Sooo is Ai going to continue and now there's two Hell Girls?? wtf...She has to work as hell girl forever according to the end of mitsuganae, so now we just have two?

Animation was better than some of the episodes of this season got but wasn't anything too phenomenal.

The tarnished mound is literally the only episode I skip when I rewatch the past seasons so I'm not hyped about that getting rehashed in the least.
Aug 18, 2017 2:36 PM

Oct 2016
Well. If this is the end, I did not enjoy this season at all. The stories felt random with people in the stories being unrealistically cruel. The animation was bad and it felt like a hollow attempt at the recreation of the former things that made Hell Girl popular in the first place. The stories weren't that interesting and neither were the characters. The writing choices were odd. Michiru felt random and unnecessary and like a plot device to magically get Hell Girl out of her job and it didn't help that Michiru just randomly accepts becoming hell girl despite being against it before. I think what made me the most bitter is that Yamawaro became her partner when he really has no reason for it IMO since they only had a few episodes to establish that he feels anything for her including sympathy since he had been with AI longer and should feel more loyalty toward her and her gang despite the fact that for some reason she's no longer hell girl.I guess he just wanted to get away from kikuri's abuse? Hmm. Michiru is boring and a rehash of Ai except less interesting for that very reason. And its really not that i dont like change and dont want to accept Michiru because of that. its just that this all feels unnecessary and bad. They didn't HAVE to make another season. After how bad season 3 was received they could have just left it there forever. But someone felt the need to unnecessarily revive this series and did an exceptionally poor job at it. Didn't they ever hear of leaving well enough alone? Did they think we were getting tired of Ai or something? I dunno man but this season of Hell Girl made me feel bitter. I guess its too late now for them to end it since the ending implies there'll be more to come?

Like with season 3, I'd just like to pretend Hell Girl ended at the end of season 2 and both season 3 and 4 are non-canon spin offs or something because this was a mess.

Edit: Apparently there are 6 nmore episodes that are remakes or something? Why.
MikazukiRanbuAug 18, 2017 3:04 PM
Aug 18, 2017 2:59 PM

Mar 2017
This was a sad episode like most :'
What made me laugh though was when the gang was in the poster and Ai just pushed Kikuri down with the usual straight face xD

L-Ryoshi said:
I'm confused... she was being so adamant about becoming the new Hell Girl, and then suddenly midway through the episode she WAS the new Hell Girl...

Like what the hell happened exactly?
Is this something that happened in the manga too?

Yeah that much puzzled me too, I suppose she just accepted it since the gang said no matter where she goes she'll be teleported back. If she didn't then there would be no point of what to do next for her.

But I believe she just went "well I might as well do it and get it over with and go to heaven afterwards lol"
This is my signature
Aug 18, 2017 6:29 PM

Jul 2009
LOL Kikuri got dumped! I think that's the best part of this season (since nothing else was good. Like nothing).

But yo, what kinda of idiot summons Jigoku Shoujo to send themself to hell? Seriously? This Jigoku Shoujo hype is too well known and too popular. Kill yourself. The end. You don't have to suffer in hell forever.
Aug 18, 2017 8:06 PM

Jun 2016
At the start of the season I was hoping that the shorter episode run would help tighten the story, but now I want more episodes to fully flesh things out. We were introduced to her, then learn her backstory, and now she's Hell Girl. I kind of wish we got more episodes of her and Ai together or of her acceptance in being Hell Girl.

I get that Michiru had no choice in the matter. She had to become Hell Girl even if she didn't want it, but it happened way too suddenly.

I do think that she's going to tell people to stop being stupid and may not accept requests as easily as Ai. Her mark seems to appear on the opposite side of Ai. Over the heart, which probably means something too.

Yamawaro leaving makes sense, since out of the others he seems to have some human tendencies to him. His soft nature seems to pair well with Michiru.

Hmm, I dunno. It seems like this was more of a stepping stone series and not really the Hell Girl from before. If we do get another season, I'll be interested in seeing how Michiru does as Hell Girl.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Aug 18, 2017 8:41 PM
Jun 2017
Jigoku Shoujo R has ended,so wondering only a six episode cour.
Aug 18, 2017 9:23 PM
Jun 2016
was this a sequel to a season 1 or 2 episode? Or just unrelated?
Aug 18, 2017 9:48 PM

Oct 2011
Reminiscent of past episode next week omg
Aug 18, 2017 11:03 PM

May 2015
Soo...Michiru became Hell Girl just because? Umm...ok...could have done more with that. I don't think she replaces Ai. It's more like both of them will be doing the Hell Girl job. Ai will have to do it forever of course, but I think Michiru will do it until she is able to go to heaven. In other words, it's a temporary job as a ghost until she finally passes on.

As for the story of this episode. Pretty good...edgy as usual.. And another case of rape...

So basically season 4 is done. The next six are going to be recaps huh...I wonder if MAL should separate the two...Oh well, I'll watch them anyway. I wonder which 6 stories will be revisited. If this was some sort of interaction with the fans where they vote which stories are their favorite in the Hell Girl series, then I could roll with that. I'm voting for Season 1, Episode 18...with the dogs...Let's get Edgy!
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:48 AM
Aug 19, 2017 1:09 AM

Sep 2016
I cringed when Michiru said the Ippen line. >.<

I hope Enma Ai remains and not retired or something. Jigoku Shoujo without Enma Ai is not Jigoku Shoujo. :(

The preview for next week looks like that episode with the gay senior in some previous season. Hope not reruns. That would suck ape balls.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Aug 19, 2017 1:53 AM

Jul 2014
So, is the rest of this even worth watching, given that it's a bunch of recap episodes? Also, would it not have made more sense to interlay the recap episodes with the new ones and save all this Michiru stuff for the very end? That way, they could have built up to it much more naturally and made it slightly less tedious to watch the recap episodes by adding in Michiru to change things up a little. I feel like if they'd done it like that the transition from Michiru being so against becoming Hell Girl to suddenly becoming Hell Girl would have felt far more natural, not to mention far less rushed.

In short, while this was good, this cour feels like wasted potential as they could have done something interesting with the recap episodes to make this whole Michiru storyline work so much better. Instead, we're getting 6 recaps in a row that I'm not sure are even remotely worth watching again.
Aug 19, 2017 2:31 AM

Feb 2010
I kinda like the direction this show has taken. Unlike most people, I do not think Enma Ai should eternally be Hell Girl. Now that Michiru is replacing her, can't say this is a rehash of Mitsuganae. Besides she is different when doing her work. The scene with the little boy who wanted to be sent to Hell for the sake of his parents says it all: she is not the type to blindly do her job and send people to hell when they don't deserve it, she talks about heaven and the happiness people feel from seeing smiles. Does anyone here think this is something Ai would say? I don't think so.

About accepting to become Hell Girl, I think Michiru is realising that there's something she can do. I see her trying to convince people that there are other outcomes, sending others to hell is not the only solution. When Yui sent the dirtbag to hell, her father could go to heaven without grudge towards his aggressor anymore, only regrets that his daughter will go to hell for sure. Must be why she accepted after all, the satisfaction of punishing those who deserve it and helping those who not need to go to hell.

Yamawaro is just a boy... and Michiru is probably his type. Maybe there is a connection with how they first met while he was on the job. There should be development on that.

Seriously, where is the rehash when you change the most iconic character of the show with someone who is clearly different? Michiru believes in heaven, Ai not so much.
Aug 19, 2017 3:51 AM

Feb 2013
I'm glad that all the bad guys were sent to hell.
Aug 19, 2017 6:01 AM

Sep 2008
Why Yamawaro left not Kikuri?
Kikuri is so damn annoying...
she is the only one thing what ruin Jigoku Shoujo series for me.

I like idea of two Hell Girls,
I was pretty curious about existence others Hell Girls,
like Ai use website, where other girls use letters or candles
in according from place where paricular Hell Girl exercises.
Aug 19, 2017 7:12 AM
Jul 2018
is it the end? really?

since 6 next episode going to be Reminiscence episodes which is just a old episode is it?

ugh that a bit underwhelming
Aug 19, 2017 7:15 AM

Jun 2014
So Michiru somewhat confirms that she and the Hell Girl associates are able to redeem themselves and go to heaven at the end of their stint. Something not possible for Ai.

I have mixed feelings about Michiru as HG...wish Yoi no Togi would have continued for the next 6 eps instead of stupid "reminisce" episodes. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth which I've been dreading since the announcement of this season.

Aug 19, 2017 8:04 AM

Sep 2012
So it ends with a new cycle.

Not sure how feel about this ep. As a season it was ok but I think this ep was a bit rushed. Oh well.
Aug 19, 2017 8:12 AM
Jul 2016
I am pretty sure Yuzuki replaced Ai as Hell Girl back in season 3 but now it looks like both Michiru and Ai are going to work as Hell Girl. Is that even possible? It seems pretty stupid to me, but Jigoku Shoujo has always had a lot of plot holes been very vague plot wise, so i can kinda accept it.

The ending was actually not as bad as i envisaged it, but it still is horrible nonetheless. This season is easily the worst of Jigoku Shoujo. The art is ugly, the episodic stories were a disjointed mess full of edginess and characters that served as mere plot devices and the less said about the plot and overall story the better.

Minami-Nan said:
Seriously, where is the rehash when you change the most iconic character of the show with someone who is clearly different? Michiru believes in heaven, Ai not so much.

We have followed the EXACT same path as Yuzuki in season 3 to get to this point. Just because the ending is not the same (Yuzuki also believed that she could do things differently, wanted to be a normal girl, believed in heaven) doesn't mean that this isn't a blatant rehash.

I am hoping that the reminiscence episodes can save this season but it doesn't look like that will be the case judging from the preview. That episode happened before even Hajime and Tsugumi were introduced. I was hoping we were going to get recaps of the important episodes.

Don't get me wrong, getting to see baseball star Emiya Shirou in glorious HD is going to be comedy gold, but that episode only holds value as a meme.
Aug 19, 2017 9:10 AM

May 2017
Where are the people saying she's just another Yuzuki?

I really miss Kikuri's trolling in Futakomori (still the best season so far), she's pretty tamed in Mitsuganae and YNT lol dumped

Aug 19, 2017 9:19 AM

May 2017
Mouloxas said:
I am pretty sure Yuzuki replaced Ai as Hell Girl back in season 3 but now it looks like both Michiru and Ai are going to work as Hell Girl. Is that even possible? It seems pretty stupid to me, but Jigoku Shoujo has always had a lot of plot holes been very vague plot wise, so i can kinda accept it.

The ending was actually not as bad as i envisaged it, but it still is horrible nonetheless. This season is easily the worst of Jigoku Shoujo. The art is ugly, the episodic stories were a disjointed mess full of edginess and characters that served as mere plot devices and the less said about the plot and overall story the better.

Minami-Nan said:

We have followed the EXACT same path as Yuzuki in season 3 to get to this point. Just because the ending is not the same (Yuzuki also believed that she could do things differently, wanted to be a normal girl, believed in heaven) doesn't mean that this isn't a blatant rehash.

I am hoping that the reminiscence episodes can save this season but it doesn't look like that will be the case judging from the preview. That episode happened before even Hajime and Tsugumi were introduced. I was hoping we were going to get recaps of the important episodes.

Don't get me wrong, getting to see baseball star Emiya Shirou in glorious HD is going to be comedy gold, but that episode only holds value as a meme.

Maybe bcoz there's just no evangelical influence in Ai's village in the era she lived, Ai lived in a different era unlike those two (Yuzuki and Michiru). Michiru's era already have light bulbs

That's why Ai doesn't believe in heaven coz she never even heard of it
Aug 19, 2017 10:39 AM
Jul 2010
Ok, why is this season was even made? It's worse than third, because there is no real purpose to it, no real progress to the main story. They can make good story arcs as they showed us in season 2's final arc, but they didn't manage to do anything special here. Episodic stories were not exceptional except maybe episode 4, and the finale is nothing fresh, like many mentioned they just rehashed the same ideas.

It's like the team just lost its touch after all these years and didn't even bother to work harder on this show even with a limited budget. Though i liked the ending, Michiru felt like a different Hell Girl than Ai was. The new "meeting zone" looked really cool. Ai would've never showed before the kid that typed his name in the site, yet Michiru did, of course maybe Ai was different too when she just started her "job", the show never really delved into the beginning of her career as Hell Girl and how she tried to approach the new task back then.
If only they could continue into another episode with the story and not go with these old rerun episodes. This doesn't feel like a true ending to HG at all.
Urban_DruidAug 19, 2017 10:43 AM
Aug 19, 2017 11:23 AM

Aug 2008
Michiru suddenly accepted her fate as the Jigoku Shoujo? I felt like it's missing an episode here...

But otherwise, I like the story this time around. I would say this is the best story of fourth season. I think this is the only time where they mentioned Heaven.

Nonetheless, I will say that overall, this is the weakest season of Jigoku Shoujo. The previous three were better.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 19, 2017 12:07 PM

Jun 2017
This could have been a great season if they had the whole 12 eps for it instead of forced recaps which should have been the first 6 eps instead so we could have had something to look forward to. Too many things cut, story was super random and in the end we just have more questions than answers.

My guess is that there 2 hell girls now since Ai's eyes are still red which implies she didn't become human again. Most of the crew staying with her was logical, they threw and extreme fit when they had to work for Yuzuki lol.

Yamawaro dumping Kikuri was priceless and he fits Michiru pretty well.

I do have a feeling that we might not see another season for another ten years lmao. It's a pity because it started to become pretty interesting with how Michiru handles the requests compared to Ai.
Aug 19, 2017 12:16 PM

Jul 2010
MikazukiRanbu said:
Well. If this is the end, I did not enjoy this season at all. The stories felt random with people in the stories being unrealistically cruel. The animation was bad and it felt like a hollow attempt at the recreation of the former things that made Hell Girl popular in the first place. The stories weren't that interesting and neither were the characters. The writing choices were odd. Michiru felt random and unnecessary and like a plot device to magically get Hell Girl out of her job and it didn't help that Michiru just randomly accepts becoming hell girl despite being against it before. I think what made me the most bitter is that Yamawaro became her partner when he really has no reason for it IMO since they only had a few episodes to establish that he feels anything for her including sympathy since he had been with AI longer and should feel more loyalty toward her and her gang despite the fact that for some reason she's no longer hell girl.I guess he just wanted to get away from kikuri's abuse? Hmm. Michiru is boring and a rehash of Ai except less interesting for that very reason. And its really not that i dont like change and dont want to accept Michiru because of that. its just that this all feels unnecessary and bad. They didn't HAVE to make another season. After how bad season 3 was received they could have just left it there forever. But someone felt the need to unnecessarily revive this series and did an exceptionally poor job at it. Didn't they ever hear of leaving well enough alone? Did they think we were getting tired of Ai or something? I dunno man but this season of Hell Girl made me feel bitter. I guess its too late now for them to end it since the ending implies there'll be more to come?

Like with season 3, I'd just like to pretend Hell Girl ended at the end of season 2 and both season 3 and 4 are non-canon spin offs or something because this was a mess.

Edit: Apparently there are 6 nmore episodes that are remakes or something? Why.

I agree with everything. I've never left a season of an anime feeling like I might have wasted my time more than this season. I loved Hell Girl, but this was just all around bad and a mess.

I hope this season doesn't turn off people from going back to watch season 1 and 2...
Aug 19, 2017 1:07 PM
Jul 2016
World_Creator said:
There's just no evangelical influence in Ai's village in the era she lived, Ai lived in a different era unlike those two (Yuzuki and Michiru)

It's not like the concept of heaven exists only for Christians and whether Ai believes or not is completely irrelevant anyways.
Aug 19, 2017 1:29 PM

Sep 2016
Unless I remember incorrectly, Ai mentioned to one or more of her clients that they're not going to heaven after death if they condemn their targets to hell (maybe at least once in the entire series?). I think she was just being skeptical when she said, 'Heaven?'
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Aug 19, 2017 3:25 PM

Feb 2010
Mouloxas said:

Minami-Nan said:

Definition of rehash: a reuse of old ideas or material without significant change or improvement. I disagree with following the exact same path as Yuzuki. One thing we have to agree here, is that there are some requirements to become Hell Girl. You can't expect Yuzuki, Ai and Michiru to have absolutely nothing in common. Must be why you think it's rehash: find a cute anime girl who got persecuted, with amnesia, show her people being sent to hell, make her become Hell Girl. This is not rehash, it's a process. Rehash would be going through countless candidates and never finding someone else as a successor (or colleague) to Ai, which happened once only. The three of them are different and they act differently: Ai is the cold emotionless one, Yuzuki is emotional and vengeful, Michiru is empathetic and optimistic. So far, Michiru is doing nothing like Yuzuki and that is a significant change.
Aug 19, 2017 4:33 PM

May 2015
So they're co-workers now? Seems like the show is hinting that Ai may have a chance of getting into heaven. I think she's paid her dues and definitely deserves to move on but I guess the writers conveniently forgot about the 3rd season.
Aug 19, 2017 5:23 PM

Jun 2017
World_Creator said:
Mouloxas said:

Maybe bcoz there's just no evangelical influence in Ai's village in the era she lived, Ai lived in a different era unlike those two (Yuzuki and Michiru). Michiru's era already have light bulbs

Ai 100% knows about heaven. She became hell girl again so Yuzuki could go there in the third season.
Aug 19, 2017 10:46 PM
Jun 2016
I'm so confused. The series started out fairly typical of Jigoku Shoujo, but suddenly it just abruptly ends like this?? So is Season 3 completely negated since apparently there's a new Hell Girl, despite Ai having to do it forever. Is there a manga that explains this? Also, who is Michiru... She came out of nowhere, we get a rushed backstory, she's adamantly against being Hell Girl, then basically it's like "lol nvm i'll be hell girl hehe". Sad to see this series come to such a rushed ending. Doesn't do the overall show justice.
Aug 20, 2017 1:02 AM
Jul 2016
Minami-Nan said:
Mouloxas said:

Definition of rehash: a reuse of old ideas or material without significant change or improvement. I disagree with following the exact same path as Yuzuki. One thing we have to agree here, is that there are some requirements to become Hell Girl. You can't expect Yuzuki, Ai and Michiru to have absolutely nothing in common. Must be why you think it's rehash: find a cute anime girl who got persecuted, with amnesia, show her people being sent to hell, make her become Hell Girl. This is not rehash, it's a process.

But they are reusing old ideas. The very concept of finding a Hell Girl succesor was the main theme of season 3. And she did follow the same path as Yuzuki. Both of them didn't want to become Hell girl in the beginning, they struggled against it, remembered their past and in the end accepted their new role. It's just that Yuzuki had 26 episodes to get her story fully fleshed out whereas Michiru had a mere 6 episodes. Only the final outcome is different. And different outcome doesn't represent significant change or improvement. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

Minami-Nan said:
Rehash would be going through countless candidates and never finding someone else as a successor (or colleague) to Ai, which happened once only.

I think the fact that it already happened once is enough to call it a rehash.

Minami-Nan said:
The three of them are different and they act differently: Ai is the cold emotionless one, Yuzuki is emotional and vengeful, Michiru is empathetic and optimistic. So far, Michiru is doing nothing like Yuzuki and that is a significant change.

Well, you say so far but most probably we will never see Michiru ever again unless her story is continued in the recaps. Or we get another season after 10 years. Michiru doing her job differently compared to Yuzuki was always going to be the case for obvious reasons. The only purpose that served was having Ai and the gang spout some philosophical bullshit about heaven.
Aug 20, 2017 1:42 AM
Jun 2017
WTF HAPPENED?????????????
I'm so confused please explain this to me
Aug 20, 2017 6:20 AM

Sep 2015
I think this season has a lot of missed potential, but what really boggles my mind is that next episode we are recapping ONE OF THE WORST EPISODES HELL GIRL EVER AIRED! SERIOUSLY? HOW DID THIS GET APPROVED?!?!?!

I really think we should just reboot from Futakomori, and just make 26 episodes focusing on mai waifu, Enma Ai. Not all the other bullshit.
Aug 20, 2017 9:29 AM

Jun 2016
Mouloxas said:
Minami-Nan said:

Definition of rehash: a reuse of old ideas or material without significant change or improvement. I disagree with following the exact same path as Yuzuki. One thing we have to agree here, is that there are some requirements to become Hell Girl. You can't expect Yuzuki, Ai and Michiru to have absolutely nothing in common. Must be why you think it's rehash: find a cute anime girl who got persecuted, with amnesia, show her people being sent to hell, make her become Hell Girl. This is not rehash, it's a process.

But they are reusing old ideas. The very concept of finding a Hell Girl succesor was the main theme of season 3. And she did follow the same path as Yuzuki. Both of them didn't want to become Hell girl in the beginning, they struggled against it, remembered their past and in the end accepted their new role. It's just that Yuzuki had 26 episodes to get her story fully fleshed out whereas Michiru had a mere 6 episodes. Only the final outcome is different. And different outcome doesn't represent significant change or improvement. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

Last season told us that Ai has been looking for a new Hell Girl for awhile though. Tsugumi mentioned that she's seen a number of girls just like Yuzuki.

To be fair, Yuzuki is kind of different because she never cursed/killed people as she died. Which is why when she became Hell Girl, she pushed her own agenda to force people's hands. Michiru killed an entire village of innocent people, which is what Ai did as well.

I do agree that it does kinda feel like a rehash though, only because things weren't fleshed out. I get what the writers were thinking here, Micihiru is a different kind of Hell Girl and stuff, but we needed more episodes or at least more time spent on Micihiru and Ai discussing this. The first episode could have been the same, but then from the second on we learn about Michiru's history and Ai tells her that she's the next Hell Girl. The remaining episodes could be Ai trying to get Michiru to accept this, but Michiru doesn't want anything to do with Hell.

That would have been a better journey before getting us to this point.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Aug 20, 2017 11:17 AM

Aug 2014
Great ep, hopefully the season continues on this level or gets even better
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 20, 2017 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
Mouloxas said:
Minami-Nan said:

Minami-Nan said:
Rehash would be going through countless candidates and never finding someone else as a successor (or colleague) to Ai, which happened once only.

Minami-Nan said:
The three of them are different and they act differently: Ai is the cold emotionless one, Yuzuki is emotional and vengeful, Michiru is empathetic and optimistic. So far, Michiru is doing nothing like Yuzuki and that is a significant change.

Well, you say so far but most probably we will never see Michiru ever again unless her story is continued in the recaps. Or we get another season after 10 years. Michiru doing her job differently compared to Yuzuki was always going to be the case for obvious reasons. The only purpose that served was having Ai and the gang spout some philosophical bullshit about heaven.

I really think you are dead set on the show being rehash. Something that happened only once and never again is not and cannot be rehash. It's everything but rehash.
Yuzuki failed, Michiru is still Hell Girl. It's different, no matter what happened before, that's a significant change. Also not rehash.
If you care so much about the journey over the destination, then season one was full of rehash with Tsugumi having visions, Hajime trying to convince people not to use Hell correspondence and failing while Ai continuously send people to hell. Takuma from season two would be a rehash of Ai if you only care about the journey: same persecution, same crazy people around.
I agree with you that the story is disappointing for this season and I don't think I want to watch the recap episodes after this one. The journey was horrible with Michiru, the first two episodes were terrible and could be used to develop her story, even with Yamawaro. This season is far from great but it is a going in a new direction.
Aug 20, 2017 2:39 PM

Dec 2015
so this is the end ha? well this season really didn't feel like hell girl at all and that's sad! i think if they didn't add michiru to the story and made this season just about Ai and her crew would've been so much better, they could've revealed a lot of information that we don't know and developed the story more, because i still think the story of Jigoku Shoujo is nowhere close to its end, i really hope there will be a fifth season. i still don't understand why the next 6 episodes are going to be "remakes" or whatever they're called, of course i'll watch them but i think completing the story would've obviously been better, but maybe this means that there will be a new season sometime soon? judging from the ending of the episode.

anyways i'm sad seeing season 4 come to an end, Jigoku Shoujo is one of my all time favorite anime ever and it makes feel nostalgic all the time, let's hope for a fifth season soon!!
Aug 20, 2017 2:42 PM
Jul 2016
Minami-Nan said:
Mouloxas said:

I really think you are dead set on the show being rehash. Something that happened only once and never again is not and cannot be rehash. It's everything but rehash.
Yuzuki failed, Michiru is still Hell Girl. It's different, no matter what happened before, that's a significant change. Also not rehash.
If you care so much about the journey over the destination, then season one was full of rehash with Tsugumi having visions, Hajime trying to convince people not to use Hell correspondence and failing while Ai continuously send people to hell. Takuma from season two would be a rehash of Ai if you only care about the journey: same persecution, same crazy people around.

Yes, season 1 was always repeating the same pattern (if we go that far every episode of the series is rehash) but i am talking about the story of each seperate season as a WHOLE. Tsugumi having visions was just the plot device that they used to allow the main characters to follow Ai around. As for Takuma, his story is supposed to mirror that of Ai and exists for her to get character development. Personally, i think of season 2 as a continuation of Ai's story from season 1 and not something new.

Minami-Nan said:
I agree with you that the story is disappointing for this season and I don't think I want to watch the recap episodes after this one. The journey was horrible with Michiru, the first two episodes were terrible and could be used to develop her story, even with Yamawaro. This season is far from great but it is a going in a new direction.

The reason we can't agree is probably because you think Michiru still being Hell Girl is important and represents massive change whereas i don't really care about her ending. However, we can agree on the fact that this season was really bad. Maybe you're right and it's not rehash but still, i think watching something that has many similarities to the previous season just for a different ending and a different point of view from the MC is not worth it. Just imagine if this season was 26 episodes as well. It would have been torture.
Aug 20, 2017 3:48 PM

Feb 2014
If the new material ends here then this season was very weak compared to previous seasons
Aug 20, 2017 10:26 PM

Oct 2008
This was a bit less intense episode!
Michiru is doing a good job being the new Hell Girl Jogoku Shoujo!
4/5.

Aug 21, 2017 2:09 AM
Mar 2016
this episode was wack. gn.
Aug 21, 2017 1:59 PM

Nov 2012
FOR STORY 10/10

Yes i don't like new hell girl to.... But we will see what will be next
Aug 21, 2017 2:28 PM

Feb 2010
Mouloxas said:

The reason we can't agree is probably because you think Michiru still being Hell Girl is important and represents massive change whereas i don't really care about her ending. However, we can agree on the fact that this season was really bad. Maybe you're right and it's not rehash but still, i think watching something that has many similarities to the previous season just for a different ending and a different point of view from the MC is not worth it. Just imagine if this season was 26 episodes as well. It would have been torture.

Yep, at least we can agree on that. You may think I'm stubborn but I still think it's not rehash despite the similarities. I explained before that there are some requirements to be eligible and Yuzuki Ai and Michiru all fit the criteria of being persecuted unfairly hence the similar journey. The ending was abrupt and I think instead of recap episodes or the first two boring as hell episodes with stupid twist, more time could be spent on Michiru's story, her connection to Yamawaro (Michiru's his type that's for sure) and what happens with two Hell Girls. The concept of heaven is interesting as well for characters that only know hell and has never dealt with that. I would love it if there is Heaven correspondence, you send someone to heaven but you are doomed to go to hell when you die. That would be interesting. If anyone wants to pick up on that idea, feel free to do so.
Aug 21, 2017 2:33 PM

Jul 2016
What on earth was that? Last time we had 26 episodes to get to know the potential Hell Girl, and now after only 6 episodes Michiru just becomes her? That was a terrible development, we should have had an entire season as well. Besides, what is this about 6 "scents"? We're getting recaps or what? Where is the story?

Losing Ai will be tough, I can't imagine this show without her being Hell Girl.
Aug 22, 2017 2:27 AM

Jul 2016
I liked this episode but got to agree that Michiru became Hell Girl too fast. At one moment she was totally against it, then she just agreed to do it out of nowhere. Maybe the reasoning will be explained in a later episode, but I have my doubts. The interesting part is that now we have two Hell Girls, so I'm interested in what's going to happen to Ai.

Half-way through the season and this is looking a bit disappointing just like the first and third season. Had expectations this could be as good as the second season one but maybe that just wasn't possible.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

67 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 20, 2023 11:24 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

68 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

124 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 1:06 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2017

45 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 12:19 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

112 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 11:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.