Forum Settings
Forums

Method to automatically access desktop version of MAL on phone

New
Aug 18, 2017 12:49 AM

May 2016
Even on my phone, I strongly prefer MAL's desktop interface to its mobile interface, and it's kind of annoying to have to go Settings and press "Request Desktop Version" every time I visit the site using my phone. Would it be possible to add an option (a checkbox on your profile for example) that would automatically send you to the desktop version when you're visiting the website on your phone? Thanks!
Aug 18, 2017 6:15 AM

Sep 2012
Well MAL can't "fix" that since it is about the coding(I mean they cant do a special rule to you) and many prefers the mobile version.

If you are using chrome on mobile however there is a setting that opens every page in desktop mode.
Aug 18, 2017 7:32 AM

May 2016
Lol I don't mean a special button just for me, since I suspect there are a lot of people that feel the same way. But yeah, I guess it would require some coding to add the function I'm talking about. This is the Suggestions forum, right? ;)

Thanks for the Chrome tip though; I typically use Safari, but I guess I should switch over.
Aug 18, 2017 8:14 AM

Sep 2012
No I mean it is not possible because how coding works it that case.

CSS uses special media tag for different window sizes. Since your window size will be always same it will automatically converts the page. To stop this you have to delete the whole design so that is why I said they cant add a special rule or button for you or anyone.

Np.
Aug 18, 2017 8:43 AM

May 2016
Ohhhh I gotcha, thanks for the clarification.
Aug 18, 2017 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
idk about safari but as long as u dont clear cache from chrome u will always be on the desktop version
also about the user ^^ still havent met anyone who would prefer the mobile version lol
Aug 18, 2017 1:15 PM

Mar 2013
MorningPersona said:
still havent met anyone who would prefer the mobile version lol

Same.

It's also annoying for me to keep changing the version to its desktop form every single time, but I got used to it.
Aug 19, 2017 3:37 AM

Oct 2015
Could you not simply change your mobile-browser's useragent, so it would tell MAL it is a desktop version browser ?
I am pretty sure that for desktop browsers there are extensions that ease switching of useragent: use this useragent on this website, use that useragent right now, so maybe there's sth. like that for mobile versions of browsers, too?
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Aug 21, 2017 2:18 AM

Jul 2013
Subpyro said:
MorningPersona said:
still havent met anyone who would prefer the mobile version lol

Same.

It's also annoying for me to keep changing the version to its desktop form every single time, but I got used to it.
when i'm on my phone i prefer the mobile version. it's annoying to always have to zoom in and out to either click a certain button or see everything.
the mobile version does need some improvements tho since not every part of MAL (e.g. History) has been adapted.

nevertheless i support this suggestion. an additional option in the settings would be great.
Aug 21, 2017 3:10 AM

Feb 2015
Actually, if you use tablet or anything of some sort, it is automatically in Desktop version. The reason why I stopped using my phone.

Now, my phone have no use except for being a timer when I'm cooking :/
Oct 20, 2019 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
Gallowglas said:
Even on my phone, I strongly prefer MAL's desktop interface to its mobile interface, and it's kind of annoying to have to go Settings and press "Request Desktop Version" every time I visit the site using my phone. Would it be possible to add an option (a checkbox on your profile for example) that would automatically send you to the desktop version when you're visiting the website on your phone? Thanks!

You go all the way to settings? I just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'request desktop/mobile site'.
Oct 21, 2019 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
I use Brave browser on my phone(and PC) so I can have a tab permanently be in Desktop mode
Oct 21, 2019 12:29 PM
Oct 2017
The desktop site is much better.

The mobile site doesn't let you do what the desktop site lets you do (e.g. edit comments on shows).

I would also like this option to be added.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.