Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mar 15, 2008 5:08 PM
I hear so many people saying FMA ending is not good, it is not complete or it is weird. I Believe FMA series has the best ending ever. The reason I love FMA (my #1 anime) so much is due to the ending not much due to the general story. I believe it has best ending in any anime I seen so far.

It is like people who understand and appreciate the ending rank FMA on top and people who don't understand FMA ending thinks it should not be a top anime. I think it is also cultural thing. I am from Indian family, I appreciate the ending and lot of Japanese people also appreciate the ending, therefore lot of surveys and polls in Japan places FMA on top.

Why ending so great.
The whole story was building the relationship and bonds between the two brothers. At the end, each brother sacrifice his own life to save the ,life of another brother. At the end Edward, his sacrifice life to save his brother Al's life. In order truly appreciate the ending, you must understand karmic law (an alchemy law in FMA), which is in order to receive of something of value, one must sacrifice something equally valuable. Therefore, in order to save a life, another equally value life must be lost. Therefore, the way Edward could save his brother's life was give his own life away.

Apr 5, 2008 8:02 AM

I agree. The ending IS great. I have seen quite a few anime series now and I always fear watching the end. It's so hard to think of a good ending for a series and I think most screw up but the FMA ending was different. I loved it and I most definitly don't think it's incomplete or whatever.
It may be a little open for a sequel but I haven't seen the movie yet, nor the OVAs, I'll probably be doing that next week lol :P

Anyways, the story is great, I like the music and the ending was fenomenal :D

Apr 18, 2008 11:54 AM

I didn't really like the ending as much....partly because I don't understand why you would choose to live in our messed up world when their world is probably a much better place to live in. Plus they just completely left winry behind. I expected one of the brothers to fall completely in love with her but it never happened. Overall I like the story though.

Apr 23, 2008 9:44 AM

I thought the series ending was fine, but the movies ending left me feeling unsatisfied. I'm not exactly sure why though, because I cant think of a better or more appropriate way to have ended it.

Apr 25, 2008 11:50 AM

Never found anyone who complained about FMA's ending. And I thought there would be a very large number, seeing the series strayed so much from the manga. But anyway, winter pretty much said it all, the series ending was particularly awesome because of the equal trade in it. I think a happy ending such as Ed or Al being together and Ed falling for Winry would have been a bit worse. Not that I didn't want to see it, though.

Apr 29, 2008 1:10 PM
I didn't hate the ending, but the poral to Germany was just too far off.
Seriously, what the hell?

Aug 13, 2008 4:35 PM

I thought that the ending to Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty good :)

From the way the series commenced and progressed - I knew there wasn't going to be a "happily ever after" ending, therefore I wasn't expecting that. But what really happened wasn't what I was looking forward to much. Throughout the series, it was greatly expressed that Alphonse and Edward live for each other and want to get their bodies back. But I wasn't anticipating for Al to die to revive Ed, and then Ed to die to bring Al back from the gate...

All in all, what I'm getting at is that I was kind of a little mad/sad that Alphonse was in one world and Edward was in another world. Not to mention that Al had lost his memories and Winry had no Elric lover... :( But still, FMA was great even though the ending slipped just a bit.

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-

Sep 21, 2008 3:52 PM

i wanted the ending to be better so it was a okay ending
.....I'M NOT A PERFECT GIRL.....

Sep 22, 2008 4:56 PM

I think most people who complain about the anime ending are manga fans.

...I can say this because I'm a manga fan, and the end of the anime really didn't do anything for me. Though the anime was a good story in its own right, I feel it really wasn't as good as the manga.

Sep 24, 2008 7:17 AM
I did like the ending to the anime, it fitted the overall anime very well. My problem was with the general *slight* drop in plotline quality after they deviated from the manga. Given the circumstances, I think they did brilliantly - I loved the equivalent exchange being so important in the end. What I didn't like was "the other side of the gate", the fact that they were not exchanging lives but worlds (neither Elric brother actually died) and that Winry was so horribly abandoned in favour of Rose. Who gives a damn about Rose? No one. Gah.

Sep 24, 2008 7:44 AM

It's was great acording toto me. It would be strange if they really did succes with the human transformation of bringing Al's body back and then just kept on living happily ever after. FMA just isn't that kind of anime. I also think it was wrapped up nicley in the after coming movie. Therefor I don't think that the second season ought to be a sequel. I would rather see a remake following the manga :3

"One day, we'll set out to sea! And live our lives the way we want!!" - Ace to Luffy, both chasers of dreams

Sep 24, 2008 12:05 PM

I thought that the ending was pretty good ^.^ and I can't wait for another season to be aired!

Sep 26, 2008 3:14 AM

I wasn't expecting an ending like that, to be honest.

While it does end on a semi-posotive note, it's just... too out there for me. The ending is so foreign compared to the series, like it broke off and became something else.

It's not a bad ending, per se, I was just expecting it to end differently.

Oct 4, 2008 2:12 PM

I hadn't expected the ending like that at all. I thought it was really sad, I cried like a baby. But still, I liked the ending, and I hope that in the movie the Elric brothers will find a way to reach eachother (I haven't seen it yet =( XD)

Oct 29, 2008 4:18 PM

what i don't understand is why Edward when he was sent again to the other side of the gate he again had his automail limbs. When Alphonse brought him back to life he restored his arm and leg to him. so why when he in turn brought Alphonse back from the gate would he have to return yet again to the loss of his limbs? just seemed off to me.

but i love the series in general. i've never read the manga so i get the benefit of not trying to compare the two. i can just enjoy an awesome anime.

i just wonder what happened with Dante and Gluttony, an empty elevator doesn't really say anything after all. :P

Nov 9, 2008 2:06 AM

It's a happy ending I really like it

Nov 17, 2008 8:07 AM

The last time i saw the ending to it was on AS a year ago and i thought it was pretty cool and can't wait to rewatch it

Nov 18, 2008 7:06 PM

Ed lost his arm and leg again because he used them as exchange for Al's body, hence why Ed laments to his father how imperfect the transmutation was since Al fought so hard to restore his limbs.

As far as the ending goes, it is very emotional in many ways and leaves in me many strong feelings that rarely do I feel from watching an anime. While the ending disappoints simply because it's 'imperfect,' it is very fitting and places the course of the anime in a different perspective to where I myself felt changed as the characters had been. That is quite an accomplishment.

It is very fitting though and while Ed's study of physics was sad as he had no choice but to abandon alchemy, it was fitting as I don' think that he would feel so comfortable using alchemy with the knowledge that the energy required for transmutation comes from those souls lost in the Gate.

Nov 18, 2008 7:11 PM

mad because i want more

Aug 28, 2011 10:46 AM

I like the ending , but I really want more . FMA is my N1 anime !!!!

Aug 28, 2011 12:00 PM

Personally I like the manga ending more, it was much more satisfying and I think it handled the idea of equivalent exchange better. Plus, I felt a real sense of "growth" in Ed and Al in the manga like they had matured a great deal throughout the story. Plus, Winry didn't get shafted. That was a plus as well.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Nov 12, 2011 9:00 AM

Manga is WAY better.

Nov 12, 2011 10:25 AM

I thought it was pretty good but brotherhood ending was much better.

Nov 22, 2011 5:02 AM

ender650 said:
I thought the series ending was fine, but the movies ending left me feeling unsatisfied. .

Exactly my thoughts. The series ending was amazing, though people would argue its incomplete, but it sort of gives this feeling of continuity and hope that Edward is going to find someway back to his home. I dunno, I sort of would've liked that speculative ending, but thats just me I think
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Dec 7, 2011 10:14 AM
I'm American of Asian decent and I loved the ending. It doesn't make sense 100%, but...this is a fantasy series for Christ's sake! (When you try to reason it out, none of it makes sense.) I'm also more than 10 years into my adulthood. Almost 15 years. I mention age because I not only agree with you that culture could be a factor, but maturity level.