Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Film Critic Predicts Netflix’s Future Impact on Anime

New
Aug 17, 2017 4:56 AM
Aug 2016
In an interview on Tama Musubi, Machiyama voiced his disapproval with how creators are treated in Japan. “It’s amazing, but no money is being invested in Japanese anime at all. Even the In This Corner of the World director was making it on the verge of starvation. He was making the film for five years with no income at all with his wife.”

Machiyam continued, “Japan, which has squashed and made fun of its anime creators a long time until now, is going to get big retaliation from Netflix.”

Machiyama believes that Netflix’s ability to give creators a large budget, creative freedom, and simultaneous global releases for their originals could be big positive change.

“There is a big paradigm shift happening in the entertainment industry now. Until now, people making films and anime in Japan have suffered their lives in poverty. Suddenly, people with ten or twenty times the budget appeared, and it is becoming a world where they say, ‘it’s okay to make it no matter how much money it takes.'”

Machiyama notes that the average Netflix live-action series is given five times the budget of a Japanese movie just for the first episode (Holy Hell!!!). However, keep in mind that doesn’t mean the same ratio will be given to anime productions.

Machiyama also believes that pushback from Japanese movie studios and production committees could escalate to a “full-blown war.” He feels that some people may view Netflix’s involvement as “an invasion of the former American military.”

One example Machiyama uses is how the French-based Cannes Film Festival announced that they are banning Netflix produced movies from their event because they lack French cinema showings. He claims this is an example of a country “avoiding an American invasion” by Netflix.

Machiyama ends his interview by stating that while anime is a wonderful medium viewed around the world, its development has been stunted because there have been no significant investments into it.

Source: http://goboiano.com/japanese-film-critic-predicts-netflixs-future-impact-on-anime/
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2017 5:02 AM

Aug 2017
I guess Devilman Crybaby will be the litmus tester to see if Netflix really bets their wallets on future anime productions, I sure hope it works out.
Aug 17, 2017 5:18 AM

Mar 2015
let me reposting my post for same article...

Kuma said:

the coment is interesting, in other hand, they criticaly him for grossly misinformated and exagrating, but at the same time, it's reaks of hope investment as well better production comitee model since netflix solely stakeholder with less conflict of interest in it... however, it still risky since money doesn't automaticaly goes to anime quality and animator... well, time surely will answer...

there you go...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 17, 2017 5:18 AM

Apr 2016
I rather want to see anime industry completely die, than see it in the hands of the west.
Aug 17, 2017 5:21 AM

Mar 2015
Swagernator said:
I rather want to see anime industry completely die, than see it in the hands of the west.

funny the whole japanese animation industries poor works model ethics was started because they didn't want competition...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 17, 2017 5:23 AM

Jul 2016
Maybe the industry wouldn't be so dire if animators and the like were paid more than 2$ and a buy one get one free McDonald's coupon
Aug 17, 2017 5:26 AM

Apr 2016
Kuma said:
funny the whole japanese animation industries poor works model ethics was started because they didn't want competition...

And that would be the best for anime. Yes the no anime at all is still better than anime from west.
Aug 17, 2017 5:29 AM

Mar 2008
hope shinji do something about that.
Aug 17, 2017 5:29 AM

Mar 2015
Swagernator said:
Kuma said:

And that would be the best for anime. Yes the no anime at all is still better than anime from west.

you can simply didn't watch it you know... also china has bigger money than west and still nobody change...
Aug 17, 2017 5:31 AM

Aug 2017
Kuma said:
Swagernator said:

you can simply didn't watch it you know... also china has bigger money than west and still nobody change...
Because the Chinese are communists.
Aug 17, 2017 5:33 AM

Apr 2016
Kuma said:
also china has bigger money than west and still nobody change...
DrizzlyBear said:

And most importantly China doesn't have SJW.
Aug 17, 2017 5:34 AM

Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
Kuma said:
DrizzlyBear said:

I don't see how Americans funding anime is going to awaken "le SJW boogeyman" but you're free to share your thoughts.
Aug 17, 2017 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
I just want to watch good anime. I hope netflix will get more anime into their database and then I'll consider getting a Netflix account for the sake of watching anime "legal'
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 17, 2017 5:39 AM

Jan 2016
Good thing that there will be more western investiments.

DrizzlyBear said:
Swagernator said:

I don't see how Americans funding anime is going to awaken "le SJW boogeyman" but you're free to share your thoughts.

I doubt he is going to do it.

SJW, like 2011 is the best year, elitism and other bullshit is a meme.

Aug 17, 2017 5:48 AM

Mar 2015
DrizzlyBear said:
Kuma said:

debatable..
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/07/how_communist_is_china.html
politicaly? yes. economicaly? not soo much which is main key.
https://www.quora.com/Is-China-a-communist-country
i know this is quora, but the answer is firsthand experience which much better explained...

Swagernator said:
Kuma said:
DrizzlyBear said:

they has political correctness, infact, much crazy than west...
Aug 17, 2017 5:51 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
they can always start by actually motivating animators with livable wages...
Aug 17, 2017 5:53 AM

Jun 2015
I thought the issue with anime investment was because of the production committees and whatnot. Somebody hit me up with the info.
Aug 17, 2017 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
Brb said:
I thought the issue with anime investment was because of the production committees and whatnot. Somebody hit me up with the info.

it's all speculation... you can read ANN version comment of it, it's interesting...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3071787
Aug 17, 2017 6:08 AM

May 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
Reading through the comment section of the same article on ANN there are somce comments that say the animators are not paid more working on Netflix originals compared to other anime (which seems normal since as a company you want to pay based on the region's salaries) but their schedule is better and puts less anxiety on the animators. So they somewhat provide a bit better conditions since they are not constrained by the weekly airing times. I think suddenly rising the salaries of the animators is not only counter-productive for your costs but also to the way Japan sees them, they already are seen as invaders so if they start throwing money left and right might have even a worse reception to the point that they could not license shows to Netflix anymore.
However I would expect that with Netflix competition for quality anime might rise so salaries would naturally rise as well but who knows.

Brb said:
There's no issue with the production committees if there are no production committees. That's because for Netflix original series Netflix itself is the "production committee" without being a committee. (This doesn't include series Netflix only has a licence for)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2017 6:15 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
zal said:
EcchiKingMamster said:
Reading through the comment section of the same article on ANN there are somce comments that say the animators are not paid more working on Netflix originals compared to other anime (which seems normal since as a company you want to pay based on the region's salaries) but their schedule is better and puts less anxiety on the animators. So they somewhat provide a bit better conditions since they are not constrained by the weekly airing times. I think suddenly rising the salaries of the animators is not only counter-productive for your costs but also to the way Japan sees them, they already are seen as invaders so if they start throwing money left and right might have even a worse reception to the point that they could not license shows to Netflix anymore.
However I would expect that with Netflix competition for quality anime might rise so salaries would naturally rise as well but who knows.

Brb said:
There's no issue with the production committees if there are no production committees. That's because for Netflix original series Netflix itself is the "production committee" without being a committee. (This doesn't include series Netflix only has a licence for)

i meant the animators already in japan.. idgaf about Netflix.. lol
Aug 17, 2017 6:20 AM

Feb 2010
EcchiKingMamster said:
zal said:

jesus do you actually think netflix flies in its own animators? They just pay the same fucking studios that japanese production committees pay, and those studio still employ the same people they always employ who profit from the better working conditions. Keep your westernphobia in check -.-
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 17, 2017 6:21 AM

May 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
zal said:

They are paying the animators (studio) in Japan to make new original anime (like Devilman: Crybaby for 2018) and the article talks about the possible influence Netflix will have on the market.
zalAug 17, 2017 6:25 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2017 6:28 AM

Mar 2015
galimx said:

here is an interesting video too

again, i already addressed the problem with video... it's grossly missdirected... what crunchy support is production comitee part of animation industries, if the production comitee models it self shit, crunchy has nothing to do it... they are still supporting (macro) anime industries, but not anime industries this guy talking about (micro)... that's like blaming US if there is slave labor in china because they buy chinese product....

May 2016
Swagernator said:
Myopia at its finest.

DrizzlyBear said:
Kuma said:

I don't see what this has to do with anything.

Kuma said:
Swagernator said:

What does this even mean?

Apr 2016
I think its good to see possibly higher budgets to make more interesting projects, but I'm also a little nervous about Netflix's increasing involvement with the anime industry due to the fact that they seem to try to force a lot of unnecessary sequels/drag out their shows to make them last much longer than they should and have the show lose the initial appeal it once had.
Aug 17, 2017 6:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Pullman said:

jesus do you actually think netflix flies in its own animators? They just pay the same fucking studios that japanese production committees pay, and those studio still employ the same people they always employ who profit from the better working conditions. Keep your westernphobia in check -.-

lol ok fine

zal said:

They are paying the animators (studio) in Japan to make new original anime (like Devilman: Crybaby for 2018) and the article talks about the possible influence Netflix will have on the market.

well as long as they don't take influence from the west, then w/e
Aug 17, 2017 6:32 AM

Mar 2015
Yudina said:
Kuma said:

this guy imply more money floading from the west mean more involvement form the west which is bad thing... mainwhile, china already give bigger money to japan anime industries yet nothing notable change from anime industries in general...
Aug 17, 2017 6:32 AM

May 2016
FullmetalAlias said:
I think its good to see possibly higher budgets to make more interesting projects, but I'm also a little nervous about Netflix's increasing involvement with the anime industry due to the fact that they seem to try to force a lot of unnecessary sequels/drag out their shows to make them last much longer than they should and have the show lose the initial appeal it once had.
Sequels and dragging out shows to make them last longer seem like problems inherent in most currently airing anime. By that logic, it should be a match made in heaven!
Aug 17, 2017 6:34 AM
Mar 2011
Yudina said:
FullmetalAlias said:
Sequels and dragging out shows to make them last longer seem like problems inherent in most currently airing anime. By that logic, it should be a match made in heaven!

nope anime not having compate stroies is an issue
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 17, 2017 6:35 AM

May 2016
Kuma said:
Yudina said:

this guy imply more money floading from the west mean more involvement form the west which is bad thing... mainwhile, china already give bigger money to japan anime industries yet nothing notable change except few rare case, not anime industries in general...
China doesn't give big money to the industry, I think it's more the people that do, and the change there is going to be gradual. I think the popularity of Quanzhi Gaoshou is a starting point that will only lead to various new developments.

EcchiKingMamster said:
The entire history of anime is something influenced from the West. I don't know why people are so fazed by any trace of Western influence. If you want a pure Japanese experience, anime is not it.

DateYutaka said:
Yudina said:

Two sides of the same coin.
Aug 17, 2017 6:37 AM
Mar 2011
Yudina said:
Kuma said:

this guy imply more money floading from the west mean more involvement form the west which is bad thing... mainwhile, china already give bigger money to japan anime industries yet nothing notable change except few rare case, not anime industries in general...
China doesn't give big money to the industry, I think it's more the people that do, and the change there is going to be gradual. I think the popularity of Quanzhi Gaoshou is a starting point that will only lead to various new developments.

EcchiKingMamster said:
The entire history of anime is something influenced from the West. I don't know why people are so fazed by any trace of Western influence. If you want a pure Japanese experience, anime is not it.

DateYutaka said:

its not you know in the 80's and 90's anime was more iliky ot cover the full stoory of its manga in one go if it was a tv anime than it is to day
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 17, 2017 6:40 AM

Jan 2017
without echi fan service the anime community will die.
Aug 17, 2017 6:40 AM

May 2016
DateYutaka said:
Yudina said:

its not you know in the 80's and 90's anime was more iliky ot cover the full stoory of its manga in one go if it was a tv anime than it is to day
We're not talking about the 80s and 90s. We're talking about today, and both industries share this problem. It's just an issue of capitalism and demand.
Aug 17, 2017 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
Oh yeah, I totally see Netflix only funding "SJW-approved" shows in the future.

Like the Netflix "original" and "100% fanservice-free" Nanatsu no Taizai. Talk about westernized shit...
Aug 17, 2017 6:42 AM

Mar 2015
Yudina said:
Kuma said:

the data says otherwise...
http://aja.gr.jp/?wpdmdl=1005
http://aja.gr.jp/?wpdmdl=869
page 5-6
it's even noted how risky chinese investment because heavily influenced by political policies...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Life-Arts/Arts/Anime-a-21bn-market-in-China
Aug 17, 2017 6:43 AM
Mar 2011
Yudina said:
DateYutaka said:

We're not talking about the 80s and 90s. We're talking about today, and both industries share this problem. It's just an issue of capitalism and demand.

i crae about getting full stores not having to wait and alos Milking things inest of ding 26 epis here or there seasons or eeven years apart

stuff that never happend before netfix will make this happen more

Aug 17, 2017 6:44 AM

May 2016
Kuma said:
Yudina said:

page 5-6

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/2016-09-29/report-anime-industry-up-12-percent-in-2015/.107055
I always speak in relative terms. Yes, I've seen these reports, but I don't think this is a lot of money yet. Yes, 21bn might seem like a lot to a layman, but there is so much more money pooling in China that I think there's still more to come.

And no, we haven't seen dramatic changes in the anime landscape, because the business models seem incredibly slow moving and resistant to change, like most things in Japanese/Asian societies. As I've stated before, I think this change is likely to be over the course of the next 3-5 years. People shouldn't expect an investment to pay off immediately.

Otherwise, nobody would invest at all.

DateYutaka said:
Yudina said:

i crae about getting full stores not having to wait and alos Milking things inest of ding 26 epis here or there seasons or eeven years apart

I think Netflix's track record suggests that it's way more flexible and open to change than people might suspect. This was a company competing with Blockbuster when mailing DVDs and tapes was still a thing. Blockbuster died, and people thought Netflix was on its way out, but here we are.

In my opinion, I think everyone should be ecstatic that Netflix is in the space. I don't see them changing the industry in ways that will disrupt the enjoyment of preexisting fans, and will likely just add on and change both the delivery of content and the quality of it.
Aug 17, 2017 6:46 AM

Mar 2015
Yudina said:
Kuma said:

page 5-6

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/2016-09-29/report-anime-industry-up-12-percent-in-2015/.107055
I always speak in relative terms. I don't think this is a lot of money yet. Yes, 21bn might seem like a lot to a layman, but there is so much more money pooling in China that I think there's still more to come.

And no, we haven't seen dramatic changes in the anime landscape, because the business models seem incredibly slow moving and resistant to change, like most things in Japanese/Asian societies. As I've stated before, I think this change is likely to be over the course of the next 3-5 years. People shouldn't expect an investment to pay off immediately.

my point is that it's already bigger than west... of course it didn't pay off immedietly, but i don't see anything to worry either...
Aug 17, 2017 6:47 AM

May 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
zal said:

Well Devilman is a 1972 manga that has some west influences as it is about angels and devils (Satan as their leader) so it is kinda impossible.
However I kinda know where you are actually going with that statement and I would say that even if one day they actually take influence from the west the type of shows you like aren't going to disappear anytime soon so that influence might not affect you.

Kuma said:
Yudina said:

page 5-6
it's even noted how risky chinese investment because heavily influenced by political policies...

Weren't Japanese anime committees limiting the Chinese capital to 40% per anime or something like that despite the amount of funds they were ready to invest so that they would still be in control?

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

Like the Netflix "original" and "100% fanservice-free" Nanatsu no Taizai. Talk about westernized shit...
Yeah... Devilman fits right up the SJW alley as well... haven't read a more politically correct manga in my life.
zalAug 17, 2017 6:53 AM
Aug 17, 2017 6:49 AM
Mar 2011
Yudina said:
Kuma said:

page 5-6

I always speak in relative terms. Yes, I've seen these reports, but I don't think this is a lot of money yet. Yes, 21bn might seem like a lot to a layman, but there is so much more money pooling in China that I think there's still more to come.

DateYutaka said:

I think Netflix's track record suggests that it's way more flexible and open to change than people might suspect. This was a company competing with Blockbuster when mailing DVDs and tapes was still a thing. Blockbuster died, and people thought Netflix was on its way out, but here we are.

In my opinion, I think everyone should be ecstatic that Netflix is in the space. I don't see them changing the industry in ways that will disrupt the enjoyment of preexisting fans, and will likely just add on and change both the delivery of content and the quality of it.

they will run there shows like u tv show

Aug 17, 2017 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
meanwhile in other news
"Netflix has filed for bankruptcy"
Aug 17, 2017 6:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Yudina said:

yes ofc, but theres still a certain line to be crossed aka SJW boogeyman etc

zal said:

Well Devilman is a 1972 manga that has some west influences as it is about angels and devils (Satan as their leader) so it is kinda impossible.
However I kinda know where you are actually going with that statement and I would say that even if one day they actually take influence from the west the type of shows you like aren't going to disappear anytime soon so that influence might not affect you.

i have no problem with new things in anime as long as they keep all the old things
Aug 17, 2017 6:54 AM

May 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
Yudina said:

zal said:

i have no problem with new things in anime as long as they keep all the old things
I think it's safe to say there will always be that one ecchi show per season.
Aug 17, 2017 6:57 AM

May 2016
EcchiKingMamster said:
The reason why it's called a "boogeyman" is because it doesn't exist. The dark annals of cringey Tumblr posts, I assure you, have very little impact on what casual fans of games, TV shows, and movies consume.

How many shows, or hell, even video games can you name that were "destroyed" by SJW pandering? And note, when I mean "destroyed," I specifically mean that the game was ruined and not made slightly "uncomfortable" because there was a character that was gay.
Aug 17, 2017 6:58 AM

Mar 2015
zal said:
Kuma said:

page 5-6

Weren't Japanese anime committees limiting the Chinese capital to 40% per anime or something like that despite the amount of funds they were ready to invest so that they would still be in control?

i just heard that! care to give link? it would be interesting if it's not hoax...

zal said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

Yeah... Devilman fits right up the SJW alley as well... haven't read a more politically correct manga in my life.

pretty sure saint seiya will trigger SJW as well...
Aug 17, 2017 7:00 AM
Mar 2011
Kuma said:
zal said:

i just heard that! care to give link? it would be interesting if it's not hoax...

zal said:

they cold edit out all the nagainess form it

Aug 17, 2017 7:02 AM

Mar 2015
DateYutaka said:
Kuma said:

the could edit go nagai, but they can't for saint seiya since it's already it's basic plot...
Aug 17, 2017 7:04 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
zal said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

I think it's safe to say there will always be that one ecchi show per season.

theres already only about one a season.. but the main issue for those of us who believe in the boogeyman is just anime still being anime and not some western shit that looks like anime

Yudina said:
EcchiKingMamster said:
The reason why it's called a "boogeyman" is because it doesn't exist. The dark annals of cringey Tumblr posts, I assure you, have very little impact on what casual fans of games, TV shows, and movies consume.

How many shows, or hell, even video games can you name that were "destroyed" by SJW pandering? And note, when I mean "destroyed," I specifically mean that the game was ruined and not made slightly "uncomfortable" because there was a character that was gay.

theres been the odd instant of games being censored, changed or just not allowed
Aug 17, 2017 7:11 AM

May 2016
EcchiKingMamster said:
theres been the odd instant of games being censored, changed or just not allowed
Like?

Again, you have to realize that this may not just be to pander to "SJWs" (in parenthesis because I hate this acronym). The game Hatred, for instance, wasn't universally hated because it was somehow insensitive to some minority. It's because it was a fucking terrible game made in bad taste.

Products like anime/video games/books/movies aren't "art" anymore as much as they are commercial products, and I don't think the SJW crowd that you're referring to has nearly enough capital to move industries to completely change things. Changes can be made to appeal to a broader audience, or maybe convince parents that buying a game is slightly more okay than normal, or maybe the developers personally wanted to change a few things when they bring a game to a different audience. That certainly happens to games in China.

And again, does censorship or minor changes ruin a game? I don't think so, and I think it's unfair to dramatically label these slight modifications and blanket them as just "SJWs" ruining an industry. It's an easy but inaccurate scapegoat.
YudinaAug 17, 2017 7:15 AM
Aug 17, 2017 7:13 AM
Mar 2011
Kuma said:
DateYutaka said:

the could edit go nagai, but they can't for saint seiya since it's already it's basic plot...

how is seiya un pc i fail ot see that its nutral his netfilx id akira they owuld have ti edit cuase of the presive akra was witten form

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

65 by Vendicator »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

9 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
16 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

41 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
19 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

37 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.