Forum Settings
Forums

Could you please suggest me five "starter" dramas? What you would suggest to someone to gain intrest.

Mar 5, 2010 10:08 AM

Hello everyone.. thank you for reading my post..

I would like to know what you would suggest to a person as the best five dramas to give a person who has never seen one.. a taste.. preferably japanese.. but Ill take any suggestions.. I would also think it would be neat if the 5 ..sort of covered all genres? Im really just starting to learn some about the subject.. and Im definitely interested in exploring what I may like and what I might not..Hopefully they are all also pretty popular.. that way I wont have trouble finding them.. subs would be a plus too.. since Im not completely thru Genki II yet..lol..

Thank you VERY much for your time.. and every and all suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

(if you need my tastes of anime.. I like HS dramas.. Slice of Life.. Romantic.. Comedic with some Ecchi... but Im open to everything!)

Mar 5, 2010 12:04 PM

Since I like war movies and japanese ones, I found For Those We Love and Yamato v.good. Japanese acting is proved again to be emotional.
So, that's war-dramas.
Comedy? Hmm...
From China , Kung Fu Hustle original comedy I must say. It's kinda spoof of all the "matrix", "couching tiger..." movies.
Maybe someone else have other suggestions...
Web developers answer to pretty much any request: You tell me exactly what you want, and I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be...

Mar 5, 2010 1:16 PM

I advice you to start directly with korean drama :). I dont watch jdrama anymore.

Beethoven virus (drama)
Thank you (slife of lice)
Smile you (comedy)
you're beautiful (comedy)
JuMong (Historical), start with this drama if u want watch some historical

http://silentregrets.com (all dramas are here)

Mar 6, 2010 2:26 AM

All Japanese:

1. Hana Kimi - Comedy gold, high school romance, gender bender, a bit of sport, awesome music
2. Nodame Cantabile - the live-action series is amazing, just as good as the anime, if not better. Comedy, romance, music, awesome characters, moving moments.
3. My Boss My Hero - Another great high school comedy, this time involving yakuza. If you like this, you should also check out Gokusen.
4. 1 Litre of Tears - this is a tear-jerker, so if you don't like dramatic, depressing stuff, stay away.
5. Maou - mystery, suspense, cat and mouse game between the police and a serial killer. Done pretty well, I must say. I think there's a Korean version of this. If you like this sort, maybe try Kurosagi, a Robin Hood-esque swindler who swindles for revenge, a bit of yakuza and dangerous situations, as well as romance.

Mar 7, 2010 7:16 PM

All are Jdrama's~

(1) Nodame Cantabile
(2) Hana Yori Dango
(3) Nobuta wo Produce
(4) Stand Up!!
(5) Hana Kimi

I hope you enjoy the ones you decided to watch. ^_^

Mar 10, 2010 10:42 PM

1. Hana Yori Dango - Japanese
2. Nobuta wo Produce - Japanese
3. Hi My Sweetheart - Taiwanese
4. Mei-chan no Shitsuji - Japanese
5. Hotaru no Hikari - Japanese

Enjoy! X3

Mar 14, 2010 6:38 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone!! I have one more question if you dont mind..

Do you normally torrent these.. Direct Download or just streaming watch them?

Ive found a couple torrents for some of them.. but I wasnt for sure what everyone else did.

Mar 15, 2010 1:55 AM
I'll try to add in ones that other people haven't already:

Hana Yori Dango 2 (if you like the first one, you'll need to watch the second one)
Liar Game
Hero (or anything with Takuya Kimura in it)
LIFE
Trick (or anything with Abe Hiroshi with a big role in it)

I tend to stream because I don't want to wait and I already have enough things on my computer. I only download for dramas I really love (Hana Yori Dango, Liar Game).

Mar 24, 2010 1:55 AM

anime_n00b said:
Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone!! I have one more question if you dont mind..

Do you normally torrent these.. Direct Download or just streaming watch them?

Ive found a couple torrents for some of them.. but I wasnt for sure what everyone else did.

I prefer DDLs, and if it doesn't take more than 30 minutes to google a source, that's what I do. Otherwise, I rely on torrents and seed until my share ratio is at least 10, because there are usually very few seeders.

Oh, and I'd like to add one more suggestion: Trick and the two subsequent seasons.
It's really one of the best things I've ever watched. The synopsis sums it up pretty well, but the show is really really good, with great chemistry between the two leads, hilarious situations, fitting music and wonderful development throughout the three seasons ^^

Apr 2, 2010 10:47 AM
Well, recently my maybe favourite one is Master of Study.
It's about a life in school.
It's funny, interesting.
I like it.

Second one, let's see, They say Iris is very popular, it's action drama.

If you like horror, you may try the drama "Ring" !
Based on da movie.
And well, there are many more.
I am watching Tree Brothers, it's cool, if you like romantic story.
And the last, maybe try some historic drama, Recently they advertise KimManduk The great merchant, it's maybe not yet aired, but it seems to be fun.

Apr 2, 2010 11:55 AM

Dragonzakura is nice too , a bit like GTO and my boss my hero.

Apr 16, 2010 12:59 AM

I can't I'm a huge fan in dramas nor do I have much experience in it . .
Although , I DID watch 5 episodes of a Korean drama called " You're Beautiful " and I find it real kick-ass xD
You'll find many people recommending Hana Yori Dango ; many of my friends advised me to see the Korean verion ( not the japanese ) .
Also , check out " Dandy Daddy " and " Creating Destiny " , nice plots :)

Apr 17, 2010 11:48 PM

"Starter"? My first drama was be You're Beautiful.
Second - Hana Yori Dango (Japanese version)
But I think... Hi, My Sweetheart is good, too. ;)
Next... hm... Devil Beside You ;D
And last, Hana Kimi!! ^ ^

Apr 21, 2010 3:39 AM

I think some good starter dramas would be

1. Nobuta wo Produce
2. Hana Kimi
3. Dragon Zakura
4. My Boss My Hero
5. ... this is tough... Hana Yori Dango or Nodame Cantibile

Hana Yori Dango is a... what, 3 season drama? So as a starter, I think that's too much hahaha. But all in all, it depends on your friend's personal preference. You can try hooking her in with movies first like '1 litre of tears' or 'Taiyou no Uta' which are both tear jerkers oddly enough. I usually look for my dramas over at LJ which is filled with DDLs. Not really an avid torrent user.

Apr 21, 2010 8:41 AM

Nanas said:
Hana Yori Dango is a... what, 3 season drama? .

No, 2 season and one special - It's difference

Apr 21, 2010 9:33 AM

Aikee_chan said:
Nanas said:
Hana Yori Dango is a... what, 3 season drama? .

No, 2 season and one special - It's difference

Haha thanks... I watched it like.. 2 years ago so I couldn't recall it.

Apr 21, 2010 6:52 PM

Hana Yori Dango
Hana Kimi
Yamato Nadeshiko Shinge Henge
Atashinchi no Danshi
Absolute Boyfriend

Please like my cosplay Facebook Fanpage ; u ; (I shall give you hugs if you do! ; 3 ;)

May 1, 2010 5:31 AM

The MAL users have absolutely came through again.. Everyone is amazing when it comes to making suggestions on these forums..

So far Ive watched Hana Yori Dango.. Nobuta wo Produce...and Stand Up!!

I loved them.. for me.. I mean I really did like the stories.. but compared to anime.. I really enjoy seeing the culture like.. "alive" ... and the main "love" leads normally look like they could be Gravure idols lol.. So that helps alot too.. lol.. Looks like Ill have to join a Drama List site in the near future..because after reading the wiki on most of these there were only ... say 1 or 2 that I really wasnt interested in.. the rest Im going to do my best to watch!

Thanks everyone.. Greatly appreciated!

May 3, 2010 8:54 AM

Hmm some of the series I enjoyed:

My Boss My Hero (Japanese)
You're Beautiful (Korean)
Hana Kimi (Japanese)
Liar Game (Japanese) both seasons
God of Study (Korean) was fun to watch..
Pasta (Korean)
Ohitorisama (Japanese)
Coffee Prince (Korean)
Kimi wa Petto (Japanese)

and currently I am watching Personal Taste (Korean), which is quite good so far.

May 22, 2010 2:39 PM

I will advise you to watch Korean dramas. I'd prefer to watch Japanese as I can understand them a bit. It is always easier to watch if you know a little bit of the original language. But the Korean ones are better.
The Japanese make great anime but the Koreans make better dramas.

I found the guys more attractive too. (: Just compare the male cast from Korean version of Boys before flowers and from Japanese. The Koreans rock.
And the outfits are just superb. In Korea there is apparently a different dress code for males for example they wear pink sweaters and neclaces lol but they look good in it.

My favs are:

You are beautiful
Boys before flowers
Goong
My girl
Full house

classics...