Forum Settings
Forums

If you know that an anime is bad, will you give it a try?

New
Aug 15, 2017 9:04 AM

Aug 2017
I will. I mean, even the worst anime can have its own bright side. But i wanna know your opinion. So, if you know that an anime is bad (your friends disliked it or this anime has the bad ratings), will you give it a try?

Edit: bad ratings - lower than 5/10
MamokaruAug 15, 2017 9:28 AM
“All men are jealous idiots. And women are stupid too, to feel happy about it. It's true, there are idiots everywhere!”

“I know it's difficult to look past my brilliant tail, brain and looks, but I also have excellent ears and eyes.”

“I need to have a drink, and I need one soon!”

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf so you shut up!”
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 15, 2017 9:06 AM

Jun 2017
Depends on how bad and what's bad about.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Aug 15, 2017 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
I watch anime I'm interested in but I do draw the line somewhere. wouldn't watch Pupa ever in my life
Aug 15, 2017 9:08 AM

Jun 2015
RattlyUndead said:
So, if you know that an anime is bad (your friends disliked it or this anime has the bad ratings), will you give it a try?

Yeah, neither of those things are really reliable tbh.
Aug 15, 2017 9:09 AM

Jan 2013
I don't get the question. It's not like an anime can be objectively bad so you don't know what you think about it (whether it's 'good' or 'bad') before you watch it. If it piques my interest I'll watch it regardless of ratings/others' opinions.
Aug 15, 2017 9:09 AM
Dec 2011
It depends. If it has ecchi, quite possibly I won't watch it. Either that or if it's rated R+ or above, as an abnormal amount of nude scenes or both.
Aug 15, 2017 9:13 AM

Jan 2017
Hmm.., Probably if it seems interesting.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Aug 15, 2017 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
I don't trust other peoples' opinions.
I give every anime of the season one episode, unless it's a sequel to a series i haven't watched, or the synopsis sounds so boring I can't bring myself to try (sports anime).
Aug 15, 2017 9:16 AM

Aug 2008
Usually I avoid it if it has very low rating but if someone constantly bash it in the MAL forum discussion, I actually ended get curious and want to try watching it.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 15, 2017 9:20 AM
Sep 2013
You literal people crack me up, you know what he means by "bad" lol. #love

But yes, like others have said, depends on how bad the ratings are. I love Kakumeiki Valvrave, The Irregular at Magic High, and DanMachi, which all have pretty low ratings (For me, since I usually don't go below 8.0s on MAL). Which is kind of scary, because who knows what hidden gems are in the 7s? You kind of have to try an episode or two.

*I'm relatively new to anime #2013#AoT
Aug 15, 2017 9:31 AM
Jul 2018
it really depends on how long it is
1 cour is too much
something like skelter heaven(1 ep) sure, but very rarely. most of the time i go on the last ep discussion to see if it has an ending or a cliffhanger or an open ending and such
Aug 15, 2017 9:34 AM
Jul 2016
Yeah... I mean I would watch the first few episodes and then decide if I want to continue, you know you can always find something unexpected
Aug 15, 2017 9:42 AM

Jul 2017
Why do we have to waste our time on such a crappy anime? Time is gold yknow.
Aug 15, 2017 9:49 AM

Sep 2012
ZionPulse said:
Depends on how bad and what's bad about.

There. Someone said it...

Thanks..
Aug 15, 2017 9:49 AM
Jan 2016
No. I am sure, like you said, even the worst anime has a(or some) good aspect, but when so many people voice their dislike & have good reasons behind it, that anime must be bad. I mean, why shouldn't I listen to other people?
And honestly, when I always try to be selective in choosing which anime to watch & still manage to find either bad or unenjoyable anime, why should I take a risk for those with higher chance of being bad? If I worked as a reviewer, sure, I would try even anime that regarded as bad by many. But the thing is, I am not a reviewer.

Ginnysababe said:
But yes, like others have said, depends on how bad the ratings are. I love Kakumeiki Valvrave, The Irregular at Magic High, and DanMachi, which all have pretty low ratings (For me, since I usually don't go below 8.0s on MAL).

Oh, wow. You're definitely missing out when your standard is 8 or above on MAL rating.
Aug 15, 2017 9:51 AM

Apr 2017
Either Badly poorly written

>Unless Human Nature defies every possible logic here
-HippySnob-Aug 15, 2017 10:08 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 15, 2017 9:55 AM
Sep 2013
TheServant said:
Oh, wow. You're definitely missing out when your standard is 8 or above on MAL rating.

Okay I was hoping someone would say this. Have any good recommendations for me? Would love to find some more great ones. Feel free to check my anime ratings to see what I like lol. Thanks man!
Aug 15, 2017 9:57 AM

Oct 2015
Personally, if it's got a score lower than 6 I won't, I would prefer to use my time to try shows that are collectively seen as 'good' and have a higher chance of also thinking it's 'good', than to give a series a go even though majority says it's bad just for the chance that I'll find something that redeems it.

Of course, those who do look for the diamond in the rough are free to do so, I can't stop them and I actually commend their strength in continuing to watch a show they think is trash in hopes of finding something worthwhile about it.
Aug 15, 2017 9:58 AM

Apr 2013
No, f**k that show I got better things to do- well if I "like" the first episode in someway I might as well check it out, might drop it by the 2nd ep or later on tho lol

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 15, 2017 10:01 AM

Apr 2016
It depend on the plot. If the anime is bad like 'pupa' i definitely drop it.

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

Aug 15, 2017 10:04 AM

Jul 2016
I like watching the "so bad it's funny" shows. If it's just bad because it's boring than nah.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2017 10:06 AM

Aug 2017
RattlyUndead said:
I will. I mean, even the worst anime can have its own bright side. But i wanna know your opinion. So, if you know that an anime is bad (your friends disliked it or this anime has the bad ratings), will you give it a try?

Edit: bad ratings - lower than 5/10

I will do some steps :
1. Ask friend how they like it; If it caught my interest;
2. See the synopsys, if it pass my interest;
3. See the reviews, are they really reasonable with their opinion? Or do I agree with their reasoning?

If it pass, I watch it. :)
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Aug 15, 2017 10:16 AM

Aug 2014
I don't care about ratings when show seems interesting to me, so yes.
You said "If you know that an anime is bad", but I think it's not quite right statement. How can I know that if only things I have are raitings and my friends words? All those people judges by they own taste, but sometimes it can go completely opposite with my taste.
Aug 15, 2017 10:45 AM

Apr 2017
I will give it a try if I'm interested .. unfortunatly , i've tried to watch animes with a score of six and I did not like them .. the mal ratings are very convincing and suits my taste and that's why I can not watch things with a low score cuz probably I will not like them

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Aug 15, 2017 10:53 AM

Aug 2016
With my situation being a person who has yet to watch tons of anime, no.
Aug 15, 2017 10:54 AM

Jun 2015
If the story sounds interesting to me ill watch it :v there are some low anime ranked animes that i found i liked
Aug 15, 2017 10:57 AM

Jan 2016
Depends on what is bad about it, but generally I like to watch anime for myself and form my own opinion.

Very rarely do I let the opinions of others or MAL scores turn me off from watching an anime.

Aug 15, 2017 11:26 AM

Jul 2016
It depends on what kind of bad. If it's at the point where it's bad enough to have fun laughing at it, then yes, I'll watch it. Though I'll bring some friends and beer along with me. If I hear a show can't even achieve this, then I won't bother.

It's the difference between Mars of Destruction and The Asterisk War. Mars is so terrible that I kind of love it, whereas Ass War isn't visually terrible enough visually to laugh at and the story is dull and anger-inducing. Given the choice to watch either Mars or Ass War (if I seriously had no other choice) I'd pick Mars in a heartbeat.
Aug 15, 2017 11:28 AM

Apr 2014
I will but it's not going to land on my top priority list. It will most likely disappear in my plan to watch list until I see / hear a lot about it within a short timespan.
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Aug 15, 2017 11:36 AM

Apr 2016
Yes. I never rely on MAL scores.

Also, everyone has different tastes. I might enjoy something some other person dislikes.
Like sexually fantasizing trap characters.
Aug 15, 2017 12:04 PM

Nov 2009
RattlyUndead said:
if you know that an anime is bad (your friends disliked it or this anime has the bad ratings), will you give it a try?

I consider both of these evaluations untrustworthy. I mean, just last week a friend of mine said Shuumatsu is an overdone clone of Gunslinger Girl. Our tasted diverged long ago.

Thus, I will try such an anime if the premise sounds interesting. I do not have a no-drop policy, so have no problem dropping it later if it turns out to be bad.

jayss said:
I watch anime I'm interested in but I do draw the line somewhere. wouldn't watch Pupa ever in my life

Hey, I'm sure Pupa is not that bad, if you don't mind the cannibalism incest overtones. (I am only okay with incest, so I dropped it around episode 3)
It's horror, so it's supposed to be horrible, right?

TheServant said:
No. I am sure, like you said, even the worst anime has a(or some) good aspect, but when so many people voice their dislike & have good reasons behind it, that anime must be bad. I mean, why shouldn't I listen to other people?

It's enough to look at the hatred surrounding SAO to know that other people are not to be trusted unless you know them well enough.

TheServant said:
And honestly, when I always try to be selective in choosing which anime to watch & still manage to find either bad or unenjoyable anime, why should I take a risk for those with higher chance of being bad? If I worked as a reviewer, sure, I would try even anime that regarded as bad by many. But the thing is, I am not a reviewer.

"Those who don't take risks don't drink champagne" is a proverb in my country.
I take quite a lot of risks, and find quite a lot of enjoyable anime this way. One recent example is Kemono Friends. I would have never guessed how good it turned out to be.
Aug 15, 2017 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
I don't think I would do it for a TV anime, but I definitely watched shitty shorts and OVAs because I wanted to see how shitty they are.

Watching Mars of Destruction for my 500 completed entries, or 2 days ago Nami for my 700 was definitely worth the mental breakdown experience.
Aug 15, 2017 12:12 PM

Nov 2009
Ginnysababe said:
You literal people crack me up, you know what he means by "bad" lol. #love

But yes, like others have said, depends on how bad the ratings are. I love Kakumeiki Valvrave, The Irregular at Magic High, and DanMachi, which all have pretty low ratings (For me, since I usually don't go below 8.0s on MAL). Which is kind of scary, because who knows what hidden gems are in the 7s? You kind of have to try an episode or two.

*I'm relatively new to anime #2013#AoT

There are plenty of good shows with the rating of 7+. And even lower.
I liked Clockwork Planet greatly, and it has a rating of 6.55. And Rewrite, and it has a rating of 6.78.

Given this list, I'd recommend you To Aru Majutsu no Index, with 7.66.
Aug 15, 2017 12:12 PM

Aug 2016
Well there's masterpieces you can't miss like Nami, Pupa and Crazy Clay Wrestling you'd miss if you didn't watch some of the lower rated shows anyway
Aug 15, 2017 12:15 PM

Aug 2016
No, unless it has a rocking OP, like The Irregular at Magic Highschool, Sword Art Online etc. which I started just to listen to the OP every episode.
Aug 15, 2017 12:16 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Ginnysababe said:
which all have pretty low ratings (For me, since I usually don't go below 8.0s on MAL).

wow.. all i have to say to this is SMFH... lol...
Aug 15, 2017 12:18 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
RattlyUndead said:
(your friends disliked it or this anime has the bad ratings)

If this is all I have to go off of, definitely not.

I mean, if Yosuga no Sora has a 6.66 mean score then that just proves that MAL has no lower limit on being wrong about something like this :V

tbh that mean score was pretty much the breaking point of "the numbers MAL gives something are going to be completely irrelevant to me in how much I like something" so meh, if it's sub-5 and interests me I'll watch it with an open mind
ManabanAug 15, 2017 12:21 PM

Aug 15, 2017 12:19 PM

Jan 2016
I'll watch its PV, read the synopsis, and read a spoiler free review which most people find helpful (that's what they're for afterall). If none interests me, I won't watch it.
I tend to finish what I started, so It'll be helpful to know if a series is painful to watch beforehand.
Aug 15, 2017 12:21 PM

Jul 2015
Depends on the reviews and reasons why most people think it's bad. There are certain features of an anime that if they aren't that good, I can deal with it. I can do that especially if other features which I enjoy a lot, are well done or even average.
Aug 15, 2017 12:31 PM
Sep 2011
I look at the art style first then read the synopsis and then I watch the trailer.
Aug 15, 2017 1:35 PM

Feb 2013
sometimes if it feels interesting enough, or for franchise/studio completion reasons

often theyre not that bad just too niche/average/misunderstood
if we go by MAL rating then doubly so for obscurer stuff which tend to get watched by more people with low average scores

i also feel that going with small expectation helps
Aug 15, 2017 1:40 PM
Mar 2015
Definitely not.

It is hard enough to find the time to watch anime these days so there is no way I am going to waste my time watching garbage.
Aug 15, 2017 2:06 PM
Feb 2014
"Bad" is entirely subjective, if i like the premise/story and/or the art/characters i will give it a try regardless of what anyone else says, because each person is different and likes different things, something someone else loves and gives praise to i may end up not likeing at all whereas something lower rated could end up being just my cup of tea. So no, i judge an anime for myself and don't let what others say sway me.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Aug 15, 2017 2:10 PM

Feb 2010
Well, occasionally for the lulz. Or if it's a short the rating doesn't mean anything and a 4.xx score might actually be a masterpiece. MAL users are plebs when it comes to shorts and music videos, if it isn't clichéd like Shelter it is most likely gonna have a score below 5.5 or even 5.0, often even lower.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 15, 2017 2:12 PM

Nov 2013
MAL ratings are the last thing someone should consider when looking for an anime to watch.

So the answer is yes.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 15, 2017 2:13 PM

Apr 2014
If I want to watch it, yes if I don't, no. As simple as that.
Aug 15, 2017 2:17 PM

Jan 2015
Well, yes because I wouldn't know if it's bad or not unless I watch it myself. Just because my friiends (or not friends) say it's bad, doesn't mean it will be bad to me.
Aug 15, 2017 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
If I'm scrolling through to find an anime and I randomly stumble upon one, I will check the ratings then I'll decide from there but that's only if I just found it, not because it was recommended to me. If it has a low mean score then I'll avoid it.

If a friend says something about an anime that they dislike I might go ahead and give it a quick 1 or 2 ep test then decide.
I live to make the impossible, possible. - Lightning, FF13

Kindness without strength will make others devour you. Strength without kindness will make you devour yourself. - nightcore34.

If I could choose between knowing absolutely everything in the universe or having one normal apple to eat. I'd choose the apple. For knowing everything, means experiencing nothing. - nightcore34

The worst people are not those who do evil knowing its wrong. It's those who do wrong thinking, believing, they have the right to do so. - nightcore34

None can stand the ticking of the clock. All will fall with the Reapers knock. - nightcore34
Aug 15, 2017 2:23 PM
Mar 2016
Well, usually yes. I like to give an anime a try and not base my own opinion on what others have said. There are a few cases where I desperately wish I had *just* listened to what others have said. Most of the time I like the anime, even if they got quite low reviews.

However, I think it really just depends on what you define as 'bad' really, you know?
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧Despair ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Aug 15, 2017 2:26 PM

Nov 2011
Assuming we're talking about shows with a negative rep rather than simply a low rating, then yeah, sometimes, though it heavily depends on the situation. The main examples are for infamous entries in franchises I'm globally interested in. For example, Gundam SEED Destiny and Dokidoki! Precure both have particularly bad reputations in their respective franchises, but I'll probably give them both a look sometime anyway.

That sort of general curiosity I get doesn't happen often, though.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

47 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
1 hour ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.