Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2017 10:37 AM
Jul 2017
Hello,

I have a question about Steins;Gate and I couldn't find an explanation in the forum, so I open a new topic.

It's already been a while since I finished the Steins;Gate anime series.
I did really like it so I decided to read the VN as well.

After finishing the anime I thought that using the "world-line-concept" was perfect to avoid the usual kind of paradox.
Even though I thought I did spot a few plot holes while watching, I could explain all of the issues with "world-line changing" afterwards.
Basically I didn't understand how time leaping was possible without creating the grandfather paradox.
So I thought that a person's memories aren't really transfered to the past of the current time line but to the past of a "new" time line instead.
So it would really be just like a D-Mail.

Now I'm pretty much through the VN as well.
My problem is that I realized that it is mentioned a few times that after time leaping the world line doesn't change and Okabe's Reading Steiner doesn't activate when someone else uses this technique.

Am I missing something or does this mean that memories are simply sent into the past version of a person?
That would mean a linear concept of time is used for time leaping, which of course wouldn't make any sence because of the good old grandfather paradox.

Maybe someone knows how to look at this problem instead :)
Aug 15, 2017 1:19 AM

Feb 2016
You can try doing something else that didn't happen, in that case the worldline will diverge slightly, but usually stll not enough to trigger reading steiner. The attractor field will still work in full effect, so any drastic big change you try to make will most likely be prevented similar to how Mayuri always died.

The main idea behind the time leap is that you can directly observe and act fully conscious according to your surroundings without unexpected effects.

idontknowman said:
My problem is that I realized that it is mentioned a few times that after time leaping the world line doesn't change and Okabe's Reading Steiner doesn't activate when someone else uses this technique

It does, it happens in the VN.
Aug 15, 2017 8:35 AM
Jul 2017
Thanks for your answer.

Good, that helps me understanding how time leaping is possible.
I guess that's pretty much how I thought of it before reading the VN.

But I'm still pretty sure it was mentioned in the VN that world lines didn't chamge...
Maybe at the end of Lukaku's end...
Aug 26, 2017 3:44 AM
Nov 2013
In Faris' end the world line changed dramatically. They weren't in the Alpha Worldline anymore, and they went way further from the Beta worldline. (The 0 even disappeared form the divergence meter, presumably meaning they were in a completely different attractor field.)
Aug 26, 2017 4:56 AM

Feb 2016
Naxek said:
In Faris' end the world line changed dramatically. They weren't in the Alpha Worldline anymore, and they went way further from the Beta worldline. (The 0 even disappeared form the divergence meter, presumably meaning they were in a completely different attractor field.)

Faris end was achieved via D-Mail though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

803 by SciADV_Maniac »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Today, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.