Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2017 3:07 AM

Mar 2014
So I've been thinking about this for a while, what do you guys think that's in store for them once Casca regains her memories?

Personally I think they were together for less than a month and now Guts has been looking after her like a child. Is it possible for him to still have romantic feelings for her? I think this is the case with the manga but when I think about it realistically I think that it would be very plausible that one's romantic feelings wear off if they get used to viewing someone like a child who constantly needs help for many years. I don't dislike Casca but I think Guts is clinging to the person she was during the GA arc and now he acts like a father figure for her. Even if she regains her memories, it's not possible to delete everything and go back to where they left off.

What do you guys think?
Aug 13, 2017 5:31 AM

Apr 2017
I think Guts still loves her the way he did. Farnese is the one who really has been taking care of Casca "like a child". Guts has protected her rather than taken care of her.

I also think that eventually their feelings for eachother will spark again, another sex-scene has to be bound to happen at some point. But it's gonna take some time I guess.
Aug 22, 2017 12:54 PM

Jun 2017
He's definitely not a father figure to her, nor does he want to be. I think he started to be when she first broke, and he didn't want it to be that way, so he left - partially because he wanted to find the Godhand and kill demons and get vengeance, but also because he didn't want to see her that way.

Personally I think they'll get back together. They may have only been "officially" together for a short time, but they both loved each other for far longer than that. Casca was already starting to fall in love with Guts before he left the Hawks, and her feelings for him grew while he was gone. Guts cared for her long before that, he just never made any moves because he thought she was in love with Griffith and didn't think he was good enough to be Griffith's rival.

Guts's attitude towards her has never really changed. He has always looked out for her and protected her at all costs. It's just more obvious and one-sided now she's helpless.

Also, in real life, there are plenty of examples of couples who, when one partner became ill or permanently injured, the other has continued to care for and love them (Alzheimer's, dementia, and amnesia patients are probably the best examples of this). Not all love dissipates because one person is no longer at their best.
Aug 22, 2017 1:16 PM

Dec 2015
Guts as a father figure for Casca?? I think you might've been reading a doujin all this time and didn't realise it.
Guts hardly acts as a father figure, unlike Farnese who feeds her, bathes her and keeps her company, Guts simply protects her because he loves her.

My only worry about their relationship is that, when Casca gets her sanity back, she and Guts might not want the same thing.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 22, 2017 1:29 PM

Mar 2014

joe_g7 said:
Guts as a father figure for Casca?? I think you might've been reading a doujin all this time and didn't realise it.
Guts hardly acts as a father figure, unlike Farnese who feeds her, bathes her and keeps her company, Guts simply protects her because he loves her.

My only worry about their relationship is that, when Casca gets her sanity back, she and Guts might not want the same thing.

I'm not saying he wants to act like a father figure lmao, what I mean is that he is reluctantly put in that position because he has to take care of even her most basic needs for many years now. I have the same worry as well, though I am still unsure about whether Miura would write something too tragic at this stage and after everything that's happened (meaning there are numerous hiatuses, we're in the second half of the story and Miura has said he wouldn't write too tragic an ending- though that was in an interview years ago).
Aug 22, 2017 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
joe_g7 said:

I don't think that that's necessarily going to tear them apart. My take on that is that Guts wants the old Casca back - he wants her to be the strong warrior leader that he initially fell for. Every time he pictures her regaining her memory, he sees her as the fearless lady captain of the Hawks. I don't think that's what Casca is going to want - she's been through too much trauma and heartbreak to put herself in that position again. Even if she regains her memories, she's physically weak (pre-Eclipse Casca was well-muscled, current Casca's arms are distressingly skinny) and probably not in a great mental state to be back on the battlefield. And I think she's still going to be longing for her lost child.

That's not to say I think she'll continue to be weak and helpless. I just don't think she'll have any desire to be a soldier again. I think she'll want a quiet, settled-down life where she can heal and put everything behind her. I doubt Guts is well-suited to a quiet life, but I think he might settle for it if a) he gets to kill the Godhand first, and b) it means he can be with her again.

Danae said:
what I mean is that he is reluctantly put in that position because he has to take care of even her most basic needs for many years now.

...but he hasn't? As far as I remember, he stayed with her a little while after the Eclipse and tried to care for her, but left shortly after that, leaving her in Rickert's and Erica's care. When he finally did come back, she was gone, and had fallen into Luca's care. Once he got her back, he accompanied her back to Godo's place, then determined to take her with him after Griffith showed up. Within a few days, they met up with Farnese and Serpico and Isidro and Puck, and he relinquished her to Farnese's care.

So really, over a span of several years, he only had to look after her basic needs for what, a month and then a week?
Aug 22, 2017 9:57 PM

Dec 2015
LunaLena said:
joe_g7 said:

I don't think that that's necessarily going to tear them apart. My take on that is that Guts wants the old Casca back - he wants her to be the strong warrior leader that he initially fell for. Every time he pictures her regaining her memory, he sees her as the fearless lady captain of the Hawks. I don't think that's what Casca is going to want - she's been through too much trauma and heartbreak to put herself in that position again. Even if she regains her memories, she's physically weak (pre-Eclipse Casca was well-muscled, current Casca's arms are distressingly skinny) and probably not in a great mental state to be back on the battlefield. And I think she's still going to be longing for her lost child.

That's not to say I think she'll continue to be weak and helpless. I just don't think she'll have any desire to be a soldier again. I think she'll want a quiet, settled-down life where she can heal and put everything behind her. I doubt Guts is well-suited to a quiet life, but I think he might settle for it if a) he gets to kill the Godhand first, and b) it means he can be with her again.
I don't think it'll tear them apart, I just think that what wishes Guts has for her might not align with the wishes Casca will have once she comes back. Guts has settled on the idea of just taking care of his new 'family' but I don't think Casca can let go of Griffith and the events of the Eclipse that easily. Then there's the kid...I'm also worried that she might blame Guts for everything, she is friendlier to strangers (that later became friends like Schierke and Farnese) than she with Guts who she loved, and I hope that's just her being crazy or some shit and nothing more. In short, I don't think it's going to go as smoothly as Guts thinks it'll go.

I think it's normal for Guts to think about 'the old strong willed warrior Casca' and want her back like that, since that's what he fell for in the first place.
Aug 23, 2017 10:38 AM

Jun 2017
joe_g7 said:
Guts has settled on the idea of just taking care of his new 'family' but I don't think Casca can let go of Griffith and the events of the Eclipse that easily. Then there's the kid...I'm also worried that she might blame Guts for everything, she is friendlier to strangers (that later became friends like Schierke and Farnese) than she with Guts who she loved, and I hope that's just her being crazy or some shit and nothing more. In short, I don't think it's going to go as smoothly as Guts thinks it'll go.

I think it's normal for Guts to think about 'the old strong willed warrior Casca' and want her back like that, since that's what he fell for in the first place.

Yeah, I agree Casca will want closure on Griffith and the Eclipse. About Guts, though, to be fair she was starting to build rapport with him again, until the demons goaded him into attacking her. She seemed to at least recognize him as a protector during the Tower of Conviction arc, and didn't resist him when he embraced her.

I'm not particularly concerned they're not going to work out long-term, but I agree that short-term, it's not going to go the way Guts hopes. The interesting thing to me is that their relationship status is kind of similar to how it was for most of the Golden Age arc - she got along fine with everyone else, but she resented and disliked Guts, and blamed him for anything bad that happened. The same thing is happening now, which is, ironically, why I think they'll be fine eventually. She got over it and learned to appreciate him back then, and once she is in a better mental state, I think she'll do it again. But I hope they spend some time apart - she needs time and space to process everything that happened, and Guts needs to realize that she's probably not going to spring right back into action any time soon.

I get that it's normal for Guts to long for the old Casca, I'm mostly worried that he's putting old Casca on a pedestal a little too much. Even if she has the mental state of a potato right now, she has gone through a lot, and it's bound to change her in some way. Guts doesn't seem to be anticipating this at all, so it might be a bit of a rude awakening.
Aug 23, 2017 11:06 AM

Dec 2015
LunaLena said:
joe_g7 said:
Guts has settled on the idea of just taking care of his new 'family' but I don't think Casca can let go of Griffith and the events of the Eclipse that easily. Then there's the kid...I'm also worried that she might blame Guts for everything, she is friendlier to strangers (that later became friends like Schierke and Farnese) than she with Guts who she loved, and I hope that's just her being crazy or some shit and nothing more. In short, I don't think it's going to go as smoothly as Guts thinks it'll go.

Yeah, I agree Casca will want closure on Griffith and the Eclipse. About Guts, though, to be fair she was starting to build rapport with him again, until the demons goaded him into attacking her. She seemed to at least recognize him as a protector during the Tower of Conviction arc, and didn't resist him when he embraced her.

I'm not particularly concerned they're not going to work out long-term, but I agree that short-term, it's not going to go the way Guts hopes. The interesting thing to me is that their relationship status is kind of similar to how it was for most of the Golden Age arc - she got along fine with everyone else, but she resented and disliked Guts, and blamed him for anything bad that happened. The same thing is happening now, which is, ironically, why I think they'll be fine eventually. She got over it and learned to appreciate him back then, and once she is in a better mental state, I think she'll do it again. But I hope they spend some time apart - she needs time and space to process everything that happened, and Guts needs to realize that she's probably not going to spring right back into action any time soon.

I get that it's normal for Guts to long for the old Casca, I'm mostly worried that he's putting old Casca on a pedestal a little too much. Even if she has the mental state of a potato right now, she has gone through a lot, and it's bound to change her in some way. Guts doesn't seem to be anticipating this at all, so it might be a bit of a rude awakening.
Yeah, Guts kinda went and fucked up. Although I could understand where his frustration came from, I mean, who wasn't angry at how potato Casca treated to Guts??

Maybe she'll stay at the Elven Kingdom while Guts goes to deal with Griffith or something like that? I mean, they won't be forever safe there, Griffith's influence is bount to reach that place too, sooner or later.

Rude awakening? Maybe. About time she woke up? Hell yeah! Can't wait till winter damn it, I'm very curious about the reaction Schierke and Farnese will have when they see the events of the Eclipse and what Guts went through.
Aug 23, 2017 11:25 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah, Guts definitely sucks at being a "dad" or whatnot. It was a blessing when Guts' new posse joined so that someone could do that for him. It's also less painful for someone like Farnese to take care of Casca because she doesn't know the old Casca and therefore doesn't know how much she's lost after the eclipse. When it was just Casca and Guts, he kept lamenting the fact she she's not her old self, so he can't really be a father figure BECAUSE he still thinks of the old Casca every time he looks at her. I don't think Guts will ever get used to post-eclipse-Casca, which is why he wants her back to normal asap.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2017 3:28 PM

Apr 2017
joe_g7 said:

Maybe she'll stay at the Elven Kingdom while Guts goes to deal with Griffith or something like that? I mean, they won't be forever safe there, Griffith's influence is bount to reach that place too, sooner or later.

Guts has sworn to himself that he'll never leave her again, so I doubt that. I wonder what Guts could even do against Griffith at this point anyway. He is safe in huge castle of his own guarded by thousands of war demons including the most powerful of apostles.

Skull Knight would have to figure something out I guess. He's the main man in the war against the God Hand.

joe_g7 said:
Rude awakening? Maybe. About time she woke up? Hell yeah! Can't wait till winter damn it, I'm very curious about the reaction Schierke and Farnese will have when they see the events of the Eclipse and what Guts went through.

I have a feeling Miura will troll us with chapters of Rickert, Erica and the Bakiraka before he goes on another hiatus.
Aug 23, 2017 4:03 PM

Dec 2015
zodd0 said:
Guts has sworn to himself that he'll never leave her again, so I doubt that. I wonder what Guts could even do against Griffith at this point anyway. He is safe in huge castle of his own guarded by thousands of war demons including the most powerful of apostles.

Skull Knight would have to figure something out I guess. He's the main man in the war against the God Hand.
It's not about being able to do something against Griffith and his cronies or not, they have to face each other sooner or later, and that's a fact.

I have a feeling Miura will troll us with chapters of Rickert, Erica and the Bakiraka before he goes on another hiatus.
Nahhh he wouldn't stop mid-way to Casca's recovery -which we've been waiting for god knows how long- just to show us some other bullshit. That's the feeling I'm getting.
Aug 24, 2017 11:37 AM

Jun 2017
zodd0 said:
Guts has sworn to himself that he'll never leave her again, so I doubt that.

Yeah, but that's because she's completely helpless and incapable of self-preservation right now. Once she's more mentally aware, she won't need Guts to babysit her quite so much, nor would she probably want him to. Besides, Elfheim is relatively safe (for now, anyways). I don't think he'd be quite so paranoid about leaving her there, especially since they can probably help heal her better than a grueling journey across land and sea would.

zodd0 said:
I wonder what Guts could even do against Griffith at this point anyway.

...that's never stopped him before.

zodd0 said:

Much as I'd rather see Casca's brokenness resolved, I gotta agree with this one. Though I don't really mind seeing this either, since it would advance the plot more than the last couple of chapters did. Guts is going to need all the allies he can get, and he could do worse than the Bakiraka and master blacksmith/weapon developer Rickert.
Aug 24, 2017 11:50 AM

Mar 2014
LunaLena said:
zodd0 said:
Guts has sworn to himself that he'll never leave her again, so I doubt that.

Yeah, but that's because she's completely helpless and incapable of self-preservation right now. Once she's more mentally aware, she won't need Guts to babysit her quite so much, nor would she probably want him to. Besides, Elfheim is relatively safe (for now, anyways). I don't think he'd be quite so paranoid about leaving her there, especially since they can probably help heal her better than a grueling journey across land and sea would.

I feel like it would be kind of anticlimactic to leave Casca there... I mean of course we have to look at the story for what it is instead of factoring in all the hiatuses but Casca's recovery is a theme that has been building up for like a decade. I think it would be pretty 'rewarding' if something important came out of it instead of just having her there, safe, then dealing with other important matters and getting back to her conveniently once she is better or something.
Aug 24, 2017 12:44 PM

Apr 2017
LunaLena said:

Guts was also mad at himself for leaving Casca when he first left the Hawks. "Did I do it again?!" or something like that, he thought when he was scolding himself. He believes he made the same mistake twice, even though Casca was perfectly well and safe (ish) the first time.

I don't think he'll leave her for a third time. If Casca stays - Guts stays. That's my best bet. I also agree with OP, that it would be anticlimactic to have Casca just remain there.
Zoldra0Aug 24, 2017 12:47 PM
Aug 24, 2017 3:36 PM

Jun 2017
Would it really be so bad (or anticlimactic, or whatever) to give Casca some time to herself after everything she's been through? And I didn't mean that I think Miura should leave her there indefinitely. What I think should happen is that she should stay there until Griffith inevitably sends apostles to Elfheim, and put together a defensive force to repel them. She may not go back to the merc life any time soon, but that doesn't mean she won't be capable of picking up a sword and rallying troops to protect herself and others (assuming, of course, that her personality doesn't change radically after she's fixed). If doing so persuades the island inhabitants to join Guts's struggle against Griffith, all the better, and maybe Guts will even get his wish of seeing her at the head of an army like she used to be. Either way, she can rejoin him then.

I would love to see something like this happen, if only to give Casca a chance to stand on her own and take charge again, without Guts to lean on and back her up. And I think Miura owes her that chance, considering how much he built her up and then busted her down to a helpless imbecile for so long.

Guts may want to stay with her, but if she tells him to go, I think he would.

But, of course, all of this is just my speculation. Even if I were right, it'll probably take another ten years or so to find out. ;p

More topics from this board

Poll: » Artstyle is not everything, story matters!!! ( 1 2 )

CoffeewithEdgawa - Apr 7

80 by BakLol »»
Yesterday, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 14 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 24, 2010

32 by MrGutz »»
Apr 23, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Aug 30, 2009

60 by life_is_cringe »»
Apr 23, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 9 Discussion

DreamTheater2112 - May 21, 2009

49 by MrGutz »»
Apr 20, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 110 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

23 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 18, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.