Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2017 8:05 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well, mostly recap, but the retelling of Sanji and Zeff's story was pretty well done. Big Mom better not do anything to our Zeff. Sanji eating the food off the floor and complimenting Cosette is exactly why Sanji is my favorite character
meanwhile Cracker and Luffy are now playing a game of cat and mouse
Aug 12, 2017 8:06 PM
Mar 2010
Is it just me or some of you are rather disappointed in this episode. Half of its overall content is just a redrawn flashback and I'm pretty sure the old flashback with the old drawings were much better. Also, the animation this week is oddly horrible with tons of weird drawings, e.g Sanji's hands when he caught the plate thrown by Niji.

I was actually looking forward to this episode, but like aforementioned, it's a really disappointing episode. Even with Luffy's part, the fight seems to be dragging very slow. Argh, next week... can't wait to see Sanji in action.
Aug 12, 2017 8:36 PM

Oct 2015
I would usually complain about the redone flashback, but seeing that again just brought a tear to my eye. Owner Zeff-san! T.T

Do you think the director realizes that Chopper's VA has a really distinctive voice? Like, I was seriously distracted during half of the flashback because I was hearing Chopper but seeing Tiny Sanji......you couldn't hire someone else to do Chibi Sanji?

Aug 12, 2017 9:15 PM

Apr 2014
A lot may be upset of the episode. But I think it was fun. It makes me appreciate a lot how Zeff became a good man to Sanji. Not to mention how much we must not waste food when we are eating it.
Aug 12, 2017 9:17 PM

Jun 2017
Heartwarming shit right there.
Aug 12, 2017 9:40 PM

May 2016
Good episode, but the flashback was very long
『  』
Aug 12, 2017 10:09 PM
Feb 2015
Serious, if one piece ending without his family and Celestial Dragons get destroyed i will hate the series, they made me sick ...
Aug 12, 2017 11:21 PM
Mar 2014
I don't give a FUCK if it was a flashback, this episode was a 10/5!

...Would teary eye again!
Aug 13, 2017 12:16 AM

Jul 2010
This ep was so bad.Why the hell they had to bring back AGAIN Sanji and Zeff story....Luffy in order to grown he has to start using his head.When you cant beat the numbers go for the source :) tho I know its anime but it will be very cool to see him thinking a bit more.Growing and developing not only physically but mentally as well.
Aug 13, 2017 2:14 AM

Jul 2008
Sanji bowing his head to Zeff gets me every time....
Aug 13, 2017 3:19 AM

Feb 2013
Luffy couldn't beat Cracker on time.
Aug 13, 2017 3:47 AM

Dec 2013
clin7eas7wood said:
Luffy in order to grown he has to start using his head.When you cant beat the numbers go for the source :) tho I know its anime but it will be very cool to see him thinking a bit more.Growing and developing not only physically but mentally as well.

He already tried that but the biscuits kept getting in the way.
Aug 13, 2017 5:25 AM

Apr 2013
hm, if luffy done that king kong gun earlier this fight will absolutely finished xD

recap, but this recap brings back memories, love to rewatch but aint got time for that lol
Aug 13, 2017 6:00 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

I love how Sanji stands for everything that is not Germa, his chivalric ideology is linked to his very roots of being ashamed for being born into an arrogant power hungry royal family. It's also really suits the fact that he took up cooking as in a sense cooking food for others is a form of kindness.

The backstory of Sanji and Zeff always make me tear up, it's a real heartwarming story. The l;little extended parts was great too.
That moment when Sanji realizes the value of every morsel of food and that Zeff gave him everything. T.T

Luffy is in a pinch since his G4 time limit ran out, what's he gonna do now?
Aug 13, 2017 7:08 AM

Jun 2015
Damn that was hard to watch, made me tear up :"(
Aug 13, 2017 10:57 AM

Nov 2014
Ah I was disappointed by the recap, was looking for more of Sanji Vs. his family conversation/action. I guess rewatching one piece for more than 5 times didn't make me in need for a recap.

Luffy's fight is as annoying as ever. I guess Nami and the plants are coming to the rescue.

SamBlack said:
Sanji eating the food off the floor and complimenting Cosette is exactly why Sanji is my favorite character

I was hoping for that since the last episode, he really shows the effect of different upbringing on people, his family is everything that he is not.

Aug 13, 2017 12:08 PM

Sep 2013
Sanji standing up for cosette but they're using zeff as as a hostage threat.
Luffy and cracker goes on, he runs out of haki.
Aug 13, 2017 5:13 PM

Jul 2013
For Cracker it's to easy to make his biscuit soldiers. Luffy lost to much energy and couldn't even fight Cracker in a 1v1. The only thing I'm curious about is what would have happened if Luffy continued his King Kong Gun right before he lost Gear 4? Now he has definitely a really big problem. The same happened against Doflamingo but with the big difference that he got help from other people. Now Luffy is totally alone. Atm I can't really see how he will get a rest for 10 minutes.

The Vinsmokes are such a disgusting family. I had a feeling Sanji would eat the food off the floor after Niji tried to threw is at Cosette. It seems she made a good job with this food like Sanji said. And we all know what Sanji thinks about waisting food.

The recap with Zeff was nice. Haven't seen this in a very long time and my eyes got also a little bit teary at the end. It's a real dilemma that they're using Zeff against Sanji.

Aug 13, 2017 8:58 PM

Mar 2015
It was nice to see Zeff again! What with the flashback between him and Chop- I mean young Sanji

When is Nami gonna come out and save Luffy's ass?!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 13, 2017 9:16 PM

Apr 2015
Awesome episode.

I'm so happy they put Sanji flashback in this episode.

4/5
Aug 13, 2017 9:53 PM

Oct 2013
I'm assuming that Nami will force the plants to hide Luffy LOL.

And it was nice to have a little recap of Zeff and Sanji. Good times those were
Aug 15, 2017 6:58 AM

May 2013
Ahh I cried like a bitch again T.T
Aug 16, 2017 3:02 PM
Oct 2011
Sanji didn't even flinch
Aug 16, 2017 5:07 PM

Jul 2013
Everyone who's gotten up to this point in this anime knows perfectly well Sanji's story. So why did they have to show it again in its fucking entirety I do not know all I know is that it's a huge fucking waste of everyone's time.
Aug 18, 2017 6:54 AM

Jul 2017
Zeff ;-; I wonder if cosette gonna fall for sanji
Aug 18, 2017 1:46 PM
Jul 2016
it was pretty sad...T_T
but i really love it...♡
Aug 20, 2017 4:48 AM

Dec 2013
So much flashback... but it was a good flashback ♥
Aug 21, 2017 1:21 PM
Jun 2015
i cried at the flashback sanjiiiiiiii :')
Aug 22, 2017 12:49 PM

Dec 2016
Bruh I swear to god if anything happens to Zeff, Im gonna kill someone, and I'm sure Sanji will too! Also what's the prediction for how long the 10 minutes Luffy is going to need is going to be dragged out through these episodes?
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 29, 2017 2:59 PM

Apr 2013
Flashback to waste time again... I'm not quite sure if they're really strong enough to do something to Zeff though lol
I bet Luffy gets saved next episode by the trees and flowers for absolutely no reason :<
Jan 9, 2018 4:14 AM

May 2010
That's cheap, using fans' beloved flashback again just to fill up one more episode... Arghh, but it was sooo saaad ;___; I can't hate it, geez!
Feb 16, 2018 5:49 PM

Dec 2014
I hate it when they go back to lazy flashbacks but I loved Sanji's backstory the most out of the entire crew. I shed a tear again.
Feb 16, 2018 11:12 PM

Aug 2015
loved it! this sanji water seven c:

Jun 17, 2020 7:43 PM

Jun 2016
This episode had a few moments I understand finding disappointing. A recapped flashback taking up much of the time, albeit with newer animation, and Luffy’s weakness of exerting too much power and then running away for exactly ten minutes creating a pattern which I find feels quite contrived and artificial. But that was the small stuff, the broader message of this episode was one that I definitely appreciated.

To start with, the title card was reminiscent of Zoro’s in his fight against Pica. Where with Zoro we saw his pre-time skip design facing away, his post-time skip design facing towards us, and Mihawk watching over both, this time we got Sanji’s variation. It was not as striking by any means, but to show his past with Zeff coloring the background of his pre and post time skip designs still created a holistic feeling.

More importantly, during the conflict with the Vinsmokes, Sanji’s predicament became as clear as ever. After eating food off the floor like Zoro ate that rice ball in his introduction, it was brought up that Zeff is the one being held hostage. Sanji escaped from Judge and found family elsewhere, yet his abusive father has forced his way back into the picture and put both his hands and his adoptive, loving father’s life on the line. We could have predicted this yet having it explicitly stated makes the scenes where he is squirming while alone, such as when he was watching Ichiji and Niji approach, have more weight. Sanji must betray his friends or lose two of the most important things in the world to him. Brutal. His feelings must be boiling under his skin.

This was only reiterated by the reanimated flashback. I had previously remarked that Zeff was probably the first person who gave Sanji unconditional love, but it was really said in the flashback perfectly. “I can’t think of any reason for you to be so kind to me!” Zeff gave up everything for the boy he hardly knew because they shared a dream. That’s all he needed to give up everything, whereas for Judge, Sanji could never be enough. Even now he’s a conditional pawn of which Judge feels nothing for. That sense of gratitude to Luffy and to Zeff thrown in the blender like this is just awful. He has to hurt somebody he cares about. So, let’s take Big Mom and the Vinsmoke's down Luffy. That is, unless they can force some other king of compromise. All that said, I like to imagine Zeff and the fighting cooks would gladly put their lives on the line for Sanji’s sake and fight to the bitter end. In that way, perhaps it is harder for Sanji if they don't know about his circumstances because if they did, they may initiate the fight themselves as to completely reduce the ultimatum to meaninglessness.
Sep 14, 2020 6:45 AM

Mar 2020
Oh god, that flashblack... I've always thought of Sanji's backstory to be one of the best amongst the Straw Hats. It was really touching to see this again.
Sep 21, 2020 10:42 AM
Sep 2020
it wa s ok
the flashback wasnt nessacary
Aug 2, 2021 1:11 AM

May 2016
It looks like Luffy's 2nd time transforming into Bounce Man was all for naught since he wasn't able to find a way to stop Cracker from rebuilding his soldiers again and again...

Sanji's farewell to Zeff never fails to tug at my heartstrings. It wasn't surprising to see both Judge and Big Mom use the life of Sanji's adoptive father as a bargaining chip but at least they haven't killed him yet. It's enemies like these that makes me worry about whether the Straw Hats would actually defeat them.

Aug 19, 2021 10:55 AM

Jun 2019
Just a flashback on Sanji's backstory. Gotta love this man.
Sep 4, 2021 7:11 AM

Aug 2021
Sanji's backstory became more sad now that we know who his real father is
May 15, 2022 12:10 PM

Dec 2012
I'm seeing Sanji in a whole new light now. Nothing but nonstop respect for him since this arc started. That Baratie farewell scene got me weepy eyed like never before. Much like Whitebeard & Ace, Zeff was Sanji's true father figure.
Jul 28, 2022 4:12 PM

Jan 2021
Sanji realizing that Zeff lost his leg saving him and also realizing that he hasn’t eaten anything in order to feed him is one of my favorite moments
Feb 10, 2023 9:47 AM

Jan 2016
OWNER ZEFF!!! Surprised they will show Sanji something so secret next episode.

Aug 21, 2023 6:15 AM
Jun 2020
I loved the episode guys. Niji is my favorite of all time. I am cosplaying as him. Omg gush guys the costume looks good! The show is going well and I have not watched everything. Bye now guys, I'm leaving you on the cliffhaner. Peace.
Oct 10, 2023 12:25 AM
Jun 2022
W episode recap of sanji and zeff, and I stg if judge does some to zeff imma lose my shit bru
Nov 11, 2023 3:25 PM
Nov 2023
They really used the CRAZIEST attack effects of the ENTIRE series so far on a random outburst from Niji
Feb 22, 6:22 AM
Oct 2019
OMG how dare you using Zeff as hostage !! fck you Judge!!

I like seeing Flashback again but i hate it because it's the Anime censored version.
Mar 11, 3:52 PM

Nov 2012
SAY ZEFF ATE HIS LEG YOU TOEI COWARDS

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 399 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faded_Star - Feb 14, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 398 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 26, 2009

95 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.