Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 12, 5:01 PM
Give me some ideas on how an anime based dungeon could work out, i want some people to help me flesh out workable story and mechanic to add to a normal D&D story arc to make it feel like an anime. What i have so far is that the world the characters live in exists in multiple realities of earth, ones where the races and general atmosphere strongly resemble D&D. Although each realty also function in a slightly different way, therefore making each session and/or individual campaign resemble a certain form of anime. whether in be Magic, fighting, mecca... etc. I usually compare it to a kingdom hearts feel, where the characters will have to fight incarnations of a entity, commonly refereed to as "Death" or "PureDark", in each of these maps. Each darkness creature takes on a different form in each map.
I have a little more that i haven't said, but if you have questions, email Thrilledcheeseman@gmail.com

Aug 12, 5:15 PM

that's quite an exotic request .>.

the characters should be high school students for starters
some blatant rips from Re:zero should also be a requirement; isekai and time resets all that
and from there maybe some perception checks for whether the qt tsundere is wearing pantsu today
and copious amounts of katana and teens yelling their powers and having extended conversation in fights

Aug 12, 5:47 PM
My brother thought the same thing about high school students. I just want to make sure there is an element of free thinking when it comes to character creation.
I liked re:zero alot and its very popular so i might just do that.
I dont know what you mean by that.
Katanas, yes. special moves that have names you yell, Hell yes. and conversations in fights is def an option.

Aug 12, 7:58 PM

Read overlord.
The different maps have to be connected or serve a greater purpose, like after each map they get something that leads to the end boss

Aug 12, 8:58 PM
That is very true. a clear a direct goal or huge achievement that furthers the plot IS very critical to the story and the characters drive to continue it.

Aug 12, 10:06 PM

I did not get it - do you want ideas for a D&D-esque anime, or for an anime-esque D&D scenario ?

(played D&D, pencil+paper, loooong ago)

Aug 13, 6:36 AM
A TTRPG that plays similar to an anime, and shares alot of D&D mechanics.

Aug 13, 10:28 AM

Exxxpandong said:
A TTRPG that plays similar to an anime, and shares alot of D&D mechanics.

1) It might be easier to do with a specialized tRPG system, like BESM or Tenra Bansho Zero.
2) Even if not, you can just ask your players to make anime-like characters. Have one guy make a student from our world, and the rest of the party be his harem, with a tsundere paladin, kuudere mage, yandere cleric or something like that.
3) But most importantly, describe things like you're in an anime. Let stray sword strikes break walls, full plate look more like bikini armor, and so on.
4) Definitely allow characters to take level-ups and power-ups in the middle of combat.

I'll think up some more advice later.

Aug 13, 12:37 PM
I like where your head is at. I'll have to look into those systems.

Aug 13, 1:54 PM

Exxxpandong said:
I like where your head is at. I'll have to look into those systems.

BESM is a classic RPG system designed for anime-style games. It is point-buy instead of D&D class-based, but is otherwise pretty similar.
I think there is even a d20 version of that system, which would make it even more like D&D.
Frankly, any other point-buy system (like GURPS) might handle anime-styled play too, but BESM is designed for that, so it is more likely to give satisfying results out of the box.

Tenra Bansho Zero, on the other hand, is a game about making stories. It rewards roleplaying with drama resources, which can be used to win against impossible odds. (the DM part even says the DM should set up impossible odds just so that the players would overcome them)
But the setting is awesome. In TBZ, you can hopelessly charge a giant robot (piloted by your loli little sister) with but a katana. And win, because you know that if you fail, her soul will be forever bound inside the robot, causing it to go on a rampage.

Aug 13, 5:37 PM

This all seems very strange to me. Everyone I play D&D with are sadly all meta games which makes this style really hard to play.
Only thing I can think of is the final boss must have at least 4 forms, preferably more :P
Intel Core i7 5820K | Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming5 | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 2400MHz | SLI 2x GTX 980 WF3 OC | EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 4x WD 3TB | 3x WD 2TB | 1x WD 1TB| 1x WD 808GB