Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2017 8:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad, this episode put more emphasis into the action especially the second half.

Once again, the guys battles a power enemy that they're not entirely prepared for.
Aug 12, 2017 9:00 AM

Mar 2013
This episode is amazing, Yamanbagiri as captain is great.

Finally first unit have a battle scene now. Bang! first unit is so strong, those monsters are strong especially that street slasher. But Jiji is there to defeat it, no problem. Jiji's attack is amazing plus it presents his crescent attack that resembles his logo and his history. Oodenta is cool for not using his sword in the first part. As expected tenka gouken attacks are amazing.

notice that ashikaga (Jiji and Honebami) said their recollection.

This episode makes me happy when genji brothers speak.

Wait wait, Manba what happened why you're sad.😂😂
honokiAug 12, 2017 11:02 PM
Aug 12, 2017 9:00 AM

Jul 2015
Call me easily amused, but this was my favorite episode so far. Jiji kicked ass, and Higekiri and Hizamaru finally got animated! I do hope that the focus shifts back to 2-butai in the following episodes, since I want to see how the anime chooses to develop them as characters.
Aug 12, 2017 10:53 AM

Aug 2010
Wow Jijii lvl 99 right there, I love the effects they gave his slashes when he got serious especially that last hit (i.e. resembling his symbol/emblem of two crescent moons). As expected first unit is A+++, they played on Higekiri's and Manba's running gags too which were pluses.

If they go back to the second unit next episode I'm not even gonna be disappointed because this episode alone is more than enough for the first unit. Biggest surprise would be if they have a third and fourth unit, and showcased some of the other relatively newer swords that didn't get animated in 1st season of Hanamaru (i.e. Sohaya, Monoyoshi and Gotou <3 or even Ookanehira and Fudou bwahahaha)
Aug 12, 2017 11:01 AM

May 2017
Those battle are *A* especially on yamanbagiri, jiji and oodenta.
Aug 12, 2017 11:05 AM

Jun 2015
The First Unit is very strong. Got to know a bit about them. They fought against a strong opponent, who might have been Ashikaga Yoshiteru. He could create a Time Retrograde Army. The action was very cool. Looking forward to see more of them.
Aug 12, 2017 11:12 AM

Dec 2014
So we meet the First Unit, boy are they strong.

Action this episode was great as always especially Mikazuki's segment, that was total boss.
Aug 12, 2017 11:16 AM

Aug 2013
Mikazuki was a total boss and I don't think that was all of his power.

All the First Unit members are strong.

Aug 12, 2017 11:46 AM
Aug 2015
... Am I the only one who prefers the Second Unit? ^^'

I don't really know why but I didn't find this episode really interesting. Good action during the second part of the episode, Mikazuki's moves were impressive but I don't really like his "jiji's attitude". xD And expect for him and Yamanbagiri I don't really like the design of the other characters of this First Unit.

I just hope that Kane-san and the rest of his group will come back in the next episode...
Aug 12, 2017 12:29 PM

Jul 2009
Ok either the first unit is extremely strong or the second unit is just really weak. They took out an ARMY of ootachi like a breeze meanwhile it took all members to barely hold off ONE ootachi with the second unit.

I don't wanna believe Tonbokiri is that weak T-T

(YAY MIKAZUKIIIIII)
Aug 12, 2017 12:39 PM

Oct 2016
Ahh, yes- the first unit ended up being more bad ass than I anticipated and I was overwhelmed / INCREDIBLY blown away.

WARNING INCREDIBLY LONG RAMBLING

Aug 12, 2017 2:07 PM

Apr 2010
Kirie-san said:

I don't really know why but I didn't find this episode really interesting. Good action during the second part of the episode, Mikazuki's moves were impressive but I don't really like his "jiji's attitude". xD And expect for him and Yamanbagiri I don't really like the design of the other characters of this First Unit.

I just hope that Kane-san and the rest of his group will come back in the next episode...

M with you.... I prefer second unit...The episode was just ok... Even if they were shown as strong , i didnt really find them interesting...
Aug 12, 2017 2:10 PM

Mar 2016
Wow the first unit is no joke! What a bunch of badasses! I mean we all saw how bad the second unit struggled with an Ootachi but the captain of the first unit tokk down an Ootachi with one swing of his sword! Badass!!!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Aug 12, 2017 2:17 PM
May 2015
Munechika came and kicked ass, as usual.

I really like this episode, and shows how much of a scale(though it can be seen when Tsurumaru joins) the First Unit is to the Second Unit. I much more prefer the First, even though Kanesada is in the second.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 12, 2017 2:54 PM

Apr 2007
Well if this ends up being the only episode focusing on the 1st unit then it will most likely remain my favorite :9 I'm glad it focused a lot on Honebami too, he didn't get much love in Hanamaru.
Aug 12, 2017 3:01 PM

Jan 2012
Well... the first unit sure is OP oO Even Honebami managed to kill an ootachi by himself... I wonder if they were much weaker than the one the second unit faced...
Aug 12, 2017 3:06 PM

Oct 2016
Appar
MikazukiRanbu said:
Ahh, yes- the first unit ended up being more bad ass than I anticipated and I was overwhelmed / INCREDIBLY blown away.

WARNING INCREDIBLY LONG RAMBLING

Apparently someone from nitro+ wrote the screenplay for this episode and not anyone from Ufotable themselves - No wonder it didn't have the same formula as the previous episodes of Katsugeki ( save for episode 6 where they couldn't use the formula considering the setting they were in ). They should have gotten nitro+ to write for all of the episodes. Katsugeki would be WAY better if they had nitro+ writers from the beginning.
MikazukiRanbuAug 12, 2017 3:10 PM
Aug 12, 2017 3:08 PM

Oct 2016
Lyrisia said:
Well... the first unit sure is OP oO Even Honebami managed to kill an ootachi by himself... I wonder if they were much weaker than the one the second unit faced...

I doubt it. It was just them trying to show off how strong the first unit is and why they're the elite unit, hence why they took out the oodachi like it was nothing.
Aug 12, 2017 3:46 PM

Jul 2014
good episode - concise and got the characterisation right. can't say the same for the 2nd unit episodes orz (hORI WHY)

5 eps left, I hope they're paced as nicely as this one
Aug 12, 2017 4:12 PM

Oct 2016
vikki7783 said:
good episode - concise and got the characterisation right. can't say the same for the 2nd unit episodes orz (hORI WHY)

Well, all the episodes up to this one were written by Ufotable people ( Or person ). Episode 7 was written by a writer from Nitro+, the company that worked on the game hence why the characterization was so spot on and why this episode had a different feel from the rest and the pacing was better . I hope that ufotable imitates this writers style for the rest of the series because their use of pacing especially for the first 3 episodes was pretty bad. From what I can assume ( though i may not be correct ) this episode was a special one given that its written for the first unit by a nitro+ writer and we probably won't have another like it unless Ufotable takes tips from the writer. I sure hope they do because their constant use of the same formula over in over again in all the episodes leading up to this one save for the Citadel episode is getting really old.

Also I believe I read somewhere that this anime is 13 episodes long.
MikazukiRanbuAug 12, 2017 4:27 PM
Aug 12, 2017 5:04 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode was almost as badass as the first division (And they are REALLY fucking badass)
Aug 12, 2017 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, not interesting. Now I get the feeling that the second half of this show will focus with first unit or whatsoever. The new character design wasn't my liking but gotta admit that we just seen a glorious fights especially in the second half of this episode.

Aug 12, 2017 5:57 PM

Jun 2017
What an awesome episode.

All of the fights were awesome. It was really cool to see just how powerful the First Unit is.

The plot and character development was also done extremely well, and didn't slow the episode down at all.

This is shaping up to be my favorite anime of the season.
Aug 12, 2017 6:03 PM

Aug 2015
Kirie-san said:

No, you are not the only one, me too. I miss the Second Unit, I think I´d become fond of them, specially with Kane-san and Kunihiro ^-^
Aug 12, 2017 6:20 PM

Oct 2008
MikazukiRanbu said:
vikki7783 said:

Well, all the episodes up to this one were written by Ufotable people ( Or person ). Episode 7 was written by a writer from Nitro+, the company that worked on the game hence why the characterization was so spot on and why this episode had a different feel from the rest and the pacing was better . I hope that ufotable imitates this writers style for the rest of the series because their use of pacing especially for the first 3 episodes was pretty bad. From what I can assume ( though i may not be correct ) this episode was a special one given that its written for the first unit by a nitro+ writer and we probably won't have another like it unless Ufotable takes tips from the writer. I sure hope they do because their constant use of the same formula over in over again in all the episodes leading up to this one save for the Citadel episode is getting really old.

Where did you read about this episode being written by someone from Nitro+? I'd like a source if it's not too much of a bother ^^
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Aug 12, 2017 6:42 PM

Oct 2016
bekeru said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

Where did you read about this episode being written by someone from Nitro+? I'd like a source if it's not too much of a bother ^^

Digitarou, the CEO of nitro+ tweeted about it, as did the person that did the actual screenwriting.

https://twitter.com/digitarou/status/896400421417230336
Aug 12, 2017 7:36 PM

Jun 2016
The strength level between the first and second unit is too much. I enjoyed the episode, but it seems like we'll go back to the second unit (which isn't a bad thing) in the next episode or so.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Aug 13, 2017 1:40 AM
Jul 2011
I was surprised by how strong Unit 1 seems to be! I think it fit well with their 1 episode story, since they're able to finish things much faster since they have more experience (and probs higher levels if you consider the game lol).

Although one thing (that I'm not sure if it's accurate since I don't play the game myself), is that the Ootachi that Unit 2 faced had a purple mist. If it's not just for aesthetics, it's possible that it's a higher level Ootachi than the one Unit 1 faced? If I'm google translating this tweet right, this is something this user mentioned! https://twitter.com/wakana__0726/status/896407085704806405
So maybe Tonbonkiri is still pretty strong? It just seems like Unit 2 has less experience and teamwork.
Aug 13, 2017 2:55 AM
Aug 2017
LeiteDestiny said:
I was surprised by how strong Unit 1 seems to be! I think it fit well with their 1 episode story, since they're able to finish things much faster since they have more experience (and probs higher levels if you consider the game lol).

Although one thing (that I'm not sure if it's accurate since I don't play the game myself), is that the Ootachi that Unit 2 faced had a purple mist. If it's not just for aesthetics, it's possible that it's a higher level Ootachi than the one Unit 1 faced? If I'm google translating this tweet right, this is something this user mentioned! https://twitter.com/wakana__0726/status/896407085704806405
So maybe Tonbonkiri is still pretty strong? It just seems like Unit 2 has less experience and teamwork.
Yeah, since the second unit has existed not long ago, unlike the first unit who know each other very well since they have been together for I guess even before the series started
Aug 13, 2017 3:29 AM

Jan 2009
damn this first unit is really strong compared to the second unit lol

they defeated an Ootachi in 1 strike and that Mikazuki guy seems too OP
Aug 13, 2017 7:38 AM

Oct 2016
Tonbo_213 said:
LeiteDestiny said:

Yeah, since the second unit has existed not long ago, unlike the first unit who know each other very well since they have been together for I guess even before the series started

The only members of unit 1 who have been on the same team a long time are Mikazuki, higekiri, Hizamaru and oodenta. Honebami and Yamanbagiri, their new captain, were recently added as stated in the show. Both Honebami and Yamanbagiri were used to working alone since they'd apparently never been on a unit ( though Honebami is the one who outright states he hasnt ) which is a similar dilemma to what Unit 2 faces but they all probably work better together as a team because they all share a common history ( owned by the same guy ) or they just know how to get stuff done because they're strong and they have to. Its stated in the show that the members of unit 2 interacted in the citadel ( though not a lot ) before they were put on the same unit but the entire team is comprised of mostly swords that are used to working alone ( Except maybe Tsurumaru as its implied hes been in a unit before ) hence why they didn't work as well as a team. Its also implied that most of the swords on unit 2 ( Izuminokami, Horikawa and Mutsu most obviously ) aren't that high leveled to begin with as they haven't actually gone back in time that many times as opposed to the swords on unit 1 who have likely been in the citadel since the months before they manifested and had plenty of time to get as strong as they had.

Also most of the swords on unit 1 have higher stats in game than some of the swords on unit 2 do in general so if Unit 1 consists level 99's like I'm assuming it does then they probably translated that over to the anime.
MikazukiRanbuAug 13, 2017 7:45 AM
Aug 13, 2017 7:43 AM

Mar 2017
No Yagen this episode. Meh.

Just after getting used to all the long, confusing unit 2 names, we're introduced to the even longer, more confusing names of unit 1. Come on now...
Aug 13, 2017 7:48 AM

Oct 2016
catherine-t said:
No Yagen this episode. Meh.

Just after getting used to all the long, confusing unit 2 names, we're introduced to the even longer, more confusing names of unit 1. Come on now...

The only person on Unit 1 that has a long name is Yamanbagiri. The other ones are pretty simple if you don't take what they mean into consideration. Mikazuki is a common name. Higekiri's name is one word as he doesn't have a family name. Same with Hizamaru. Oodenta and Honebami. And that's it lol
Aug 13, 2017 7:59 AM

Oct 2008
MikazukiRanbu said:
bekeru said:

Digitarou, the CEO of nitro+ tweeted about it, as did the person that did the actual screenwriting.

https://twitter.com/digitarou/status/896400421417230336

Thanks a lot.
It explains why the introductions were an improvement from the first two episodes, it's their characters afterall.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Aug 13, 2017 11:41 AM
May 2010
Yamanbagiri should've been the main character... maybe that just my bias speaking hahah.
Sasuga jiji though show em how its done after the others screwed up.
Aug 13, 2017 12:10 PM

Feb 2014
First Unit is badass!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 13, 2017 1:58 PM

Apr 2016
petition to keep that nitro+ writer for the rest of the series
Aug 13, 2017 8:31 PM

Nov 2009
Best episode so far imo. I was impressed by the quality of the action scenes, and Oodenta and Mikazuki were pretty cool. Hopefully they'll get some more screentime in battles later on. The ost was quite good as well, especially in the last fight.
GildeshAug 13, 2017 8:35 PM
Aug 13, 2017 8:46 PM

Oct 2008
Mikazuki Munechika is so godly overpowered as hell they should nerf him! okay that was a joke...but he was extremely beautiful and graceful even in combat but the different side of him was purely glorious!
5/5.

Aug 14, 2017 3:55 AM

Nov 2016
Episode focussed on the first unit, can't really say that I'm sold to them yet. The action on the other hand looked rather nice.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 14, 2017 6:51 AM

Jun 2016
Bruuuuh, it's like 2nd unit is the kouhai and the 1st unit is the senpai. Jeez. Everyone in the 1st unit are so powerful. The fact that a single member of them can defeat that ootachi alone. Mindblown.

And everyone is white-haired in the 1st unit, and it's one of my weaknesses. What the fuck.

Loved this episode. Heck, Izuminokami will always be my cinnamon roll in this show. Gaaah.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 14, 2017 9:04 AM
Aug 2017
TheDoggoneGirl said:
Bruuuuh, it's like 2nd unit is the kouhai and the 1st unit is the senpai. Jeez. Everyone in the 1st unit are so powerful. The fact that a single member of them can defeat that ootachi alone. Mindblown.

And everyone is white-haired in the 1st unit, and it's one of my weaknesses. What the fuck.

Loved this episode. Heck, Izuminokami will always be my cinnamon roll in this show. Gaaah.

How? Only Honebami has white hair. Jiji is blue, Higekiri and Yamanbagiri are blond, Oodenta is gray and Hizamaru is teal green.
Aug 14, 2017 11:12 AM

Oct 2016
miyako1909 said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:

How? Only Honebami has white hair. Jiji is blue, Higekiri and Yamanbagiri are blond, Oodenta is gray and Hizamaru is teal green.

Even Honebami's hair isn't white. Its more of a very light lavenderish gray ( somewhat lighter compared to the more obvious gray in his game sprite ). Tsurumaru's the only character in this series with white hair lol
Aug 14, 2017 6:07 PM

Jun 2016
MikazukiRanbu said:
miyako1909 said:

Even Honebami's hair isn't white. Its more of a very light lavenderish gray ( somewhat lighter compared to the more obvious gray in his game sprite ). Tsurumaru's the only character in this series with white hair lol

What the fuck? Really? Holy shit. Am I a color blind now? I'm pretty sure most of them are white-haired. Lmfao. I'm wheezing.

Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 14, 2017 8:44 PM

Oct 2016
TheDoggoneGirl said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

What the fuck? Really? Holy shit. Am I a color blind now? I'm pretty sure most of them are white-haired. Lmfao. I'm wheezing.

Omggg Even if you were colorblind, you'd be able to tell that some of the characters had dark hair colors - That's really funny still. Maybe you were remembering the wrong show? 😂😂
Aug 14, 2017 11:00 PM

Sep 2016
enjoyed this episode getting to see other units was pretty fascinating to see and hot damn just as previous comments stated how badass this unit is im loving it fights were on point kudos
Facta Non Verba
Aug 15, 2017 6:59 AM

Jun 2016
MikazukiRanbu said:
Omggg Even if you were colorblind, you'd be able to tell that some of the characters had dark hair colors - That's really funny still. Maybe you were remembering the wrong show? 😂😂

I've been laughing at myself. Hahaha. I swear I watched the same show. Jeez. Hahahahaha! Fuck.

Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 15, 2017 1:31 PM

Jan 2016
Best episode so far, the first unit is actually the more intresting of the units we've encountered so far
Aug 17, 2017 1:25 PM

Dec 2015
That was quite a fight.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 20, 2017 1:54 AM

Jul 2008
Uhhhhhhhhh.......yeah.

The 2nd Unit are pathetic padawans compared to unit 1.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2017

108 by L01MK »»
Mar 22, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

45 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 10, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

88 by Ryuzaki775 »»
Jul 12, 2022 11:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

246 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Mar 20, 2022 2:24 PM

» Can I watch this without watching Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru first?

Kirukato05 - Sep 9, 2021

2 by Kirukato05 »»
Sep 10, 2021 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.