Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2017 8:45 AM

Sep 2015
I am currently REALLY enjoying the 2017 remake of this anime (which I assume has many of the same plot points), and one thing I love about it is the attention to detail and strong direction for an otherwise bubbly show. I think the remake is supposed to be more mature too, as it is PG-13 while this original one is G.

Back to the point, I really want to know if this is supposed to be more of a coming of age story rather than an RPG comedy? (also judging from the relatively high rating)
If it is more of a coming of age story, it would be something I would really look forward to in the new "more mature" anime. I think it would be interesting to see how the world changes throughout their lives, as it definitely feels too childish for a PG-13, even for the nostalgia.
Draconix814Aug 12, 2017 9:40 AM
Aug 22, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2016
Characters doesn't grow up in this anime. They level up))
It stays very lighthearted and carefree throughout the whole run. Kids train, learn new spells and become stronger. There are one particular arc that can, by a long stretch of the imagination, be called "coming of age" story. Or simply training arc. But it is very silly too.
Attention to detail, strong direction, ingenuity and freshness are staples of the show. My only real complaint is abou that goddamn Kita-Kita Oyaji! He is so annoying! But. oh well, i like him too. He is one-joke man. And it is truly amazing that this one joke stays fresh long past expiration date. I became sick of it only in the last third of the show.

By the way, I think, that by today standards this show would be rated PG. Children regularly kill monsters, and Niko is quite a lady's man.
TL;DR New show can be more violent and/or sexual, but I doubt that there are any room for real maturity. This is one really very bubbly anime. The bubbliest, I dare say.
Aug 22, 2017 1:09 PM

Sep 2015
@ChrisMarlowe
Thanks! Well, I can still enjoy it as a bubbly comedy, all things considered. I was just curious because it was an interesting direction that the show could go in. Well anyways, thank you for the information! Hope you have a wonderful day!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru Episode 45 Discussion

tr25a3 - Nov 22, 2019

4 by Shrimp_Tail »»
May 27, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru Episode 20 Discussion

Shrimp_Tail - May 18, 2023

0 by Shrimp_Tail »»
May 18, 2023 3:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru Episode 19 Discussion

Shrimp_Tail - May 18, 2023

0 by Shrimp_Tail »»
May 18, 2023 2:33 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru Episode 34 Discussion

tr25a3 - Nov 18, 2019

1 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 21, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru Episode 41 Discussion

JRFiveThirty8 - Nov 5, 2021

0 by JRFiveThirty8 »»
Nov 5, 2021 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.