Forum Settings
Forums

Were You Ever Ashamed About Watching Anime/Reading Manga?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 8, 2010 5:00 AM

Feb 2009
Ive been into anime for at least 7 years and am very much into it and yet I tend to keep it a secret from many people, I guess I just still want to keep a normal social life without the awkwardness of people knowing I read manga and watch anime =\
Mar 8, 2010 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not ashamed for liking anime/manga.
But it's not like it would be the first thing to tell people either.
If it ever comes up I have no problem telling I like it.
Neither do I have any problem to watch anime/read manga in school or anyting like that tho
Mar 8, 2010 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
TheFinalPie said:
Ive been into anime for at least 7 years and am very much into it and yet I tend to keep it a secret from many people, I guess I just still want to keep a normal social life without the awkwardness of people knowing I read manga and watch anime =

Why would it be awkward, you like to watch anime, they like to watch american movies. It's not like it'll make you less the person you are without them knowing that
Mar 8, 2010 7:49 AM

Feb 2010
Jimbow said:

Why would it be awkward, you like to watch anime, they like to watch american movies. It's not like it'll make you less the person you are without them knowing that

To the average English or American person manga and anime is for children, the teenagers and adults who watch it are either loners, nerds, or just weird.

So I think the people who are saying they are ashamed of it are people who have some sort of reputation or just an average person among their social class. On the otherhand the people who are saying they are not ashamed are simply, nerds with nerdy friends.
Mar 8, 2010 8:00 AM

Nov 2009
I was obsessed with Teen Titans back in Elementary, everyone made fun of it and I always defended it. I need to watch that again...

EDIT: Im still kinda shy though when talking about anime when the people im talking to dont watch any.
Mar 8, 2010 8:14 AM
Mar 2010
No. If I was ashamed of something I do, I wouldn't do it at all.
Mar 8, 2010 10:04 AM

Mar 2009
A decent amount of the anime I watched during the time when I was too old for it to be ok to do as a younger child, but not old enough that it could be retro awesome like it is now, so around late middle, early high school. Also, girls can't be nerds according to other people at that age so that made it more awkward. Therefore it was mostly stuff like Pokemon, even the games, or Digimon because no one would make fun of you for watching Cowboy Bebop and now I'll rewatch Digimon with the nostalgia glasses on and I've never gotten back into the Pokemon show, but guess what I'm getting this week! I can't wait to give Nintendo money for a remake of a game I already own! But damn if I'm not doing it!
I was lucky to have a friend during that delicate time of getting into anime who understood to not give a damn, too bad I never had any class but gym with her ever because it made it difficult to ever actually talk.
Mar 20, 2010 7:47 AM
Jun 2009
i had doubted it at times especially when i fail quizzes/exams at school or fail to pass requirements/lab reports on time just because i prioritized watching anime.
but i am kinda proud [or i am REALLY proud] that i have some knowledge abt anime that other people i know don't have.
cncfan said:
I was obsessed with Teen Titans back in Elementary, everyone made fun of it and I always defended it. I need to watch that again...

EDIT: Im still kinda shy though when talking about anime when the people im talking to dont watch any.

agree on this.
Mar 20, 2010 7:51 AM

Mar 2010
I was ashamed when I was like...7?
The other guys in my class laughed at me because I liked Sailor Moon.

Nowadays, I'm not ashamed for anything I like. If anyone has a problem with what I like, then that's his problem, not mine.
Mar 20, 2010 9:28 AM

Feb 2010
Well, I'm ashamed sometimes... Not when someone laughs at me or comments what I like, I'm used to that. But when my friend took mme to a convention and I saw all those otakus... I was like: "NO WAY! I'm not like those people!... Or maybe I am...?"
Sorry for my bad english
Mar 20, 2010 11:29 AM

Sep 2009
I'm not ashamed of watching anime/reading manga & neither am I proud of it. I just enjoy doing it =/
Though I guess I am a bit lucky in the sense that the people around me aren't that judgmental of anime. I don't really talk much about it now in school or at home because most of them have no idea what I'm talking about =/
Mar 20, 2010 12:51 PM
Dec 2009
I am ashamed at school. There's this one kid who sits next to me in Statistics and Probability and all he ever does in that class is read manga. Even when the teacher is teaching. It makes me ashamed at reading manga. I gave the kid the cold hard truth (from what i know his grades are really low in the class) and now all ever does is cuss me out when ever i tell him to pay attention.

Since I don't read manga off of my ipod in class anymore, (I would when I had all of my work done), i have recently been reading light novel translated by "Bakatsuki" that I put into a word document and sent it to my ipod through the "Stanza" application.

I used to watch anime when my parents are around but lately that has been stopping because it seems like I am getting weird looks from my parents. BTW I do not watch anything inappropriate for a 16 year old regardless if my parents are around.
Mar 20, 2010 1:05 PM

May 2009
Never. I take pride in my interests.
Mar 20, 2010 1:07 PM

Aug 2009
Well... no, not really.
There are occasions when I'll read or watch yaoi when I'll feel a little ashamed.
Those moments are when I'm really lonely or something.
^^;
Mar 20, 2010 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
Ashamed? Hell yeah. I don't let anyone know that I like the stuff that isn't in my group. The few people who know what anime is in my city is typically associate it with hentai. Not to mention the people that like anime in my city don't like the stuff I like. They're typically into Dragon Ball Z, Kimi ni Todoke and Fruits Basket. Kimi ni Todoke is alright, but I would never have an in depth discussion about it at school.
Mar 20, 2010 2:10 PM
Feb 2010
The problem does not come from being ashamed of yourself for having a lucid interest in anime or manga, but instead having other people being remorseful towards the knowledge that you have pride in your interest. This will eventually lead to a rather dispirited pity from others (or family members) that will assuredly deprive you of your interest and probably create an epiphany that will see you out of your "bewildered phase" in life.

The people with the interests themselves are not the issue. I'm pretty convinced that the lot of you are not introverted, purposely detached from society, or misanthropic. But even with that said, the anime and manga industry has a target audience. Genres such as Shounen and Shoujo appeal most to people in the adolescence stage. Hentai, on the other hand, is restricted only for people over the ages of 18. Being 18 is also counted as being an adult but it is still certainly odd for people in the 25+ age range to be having an interest.

It is heavily dependent on the environment that surrounds you. Having immature siblings, classmates, or insensitive parents can most likely lead you to throwing away anime and manga for the rest of your life. Don't misunderstand, I have nothing against "older" people, but it will be wise for those of you ("older" people) to rethink your interests and see through society's eyes and figure out what those interest say about you.
Mar 20, 2010 2:18 PM

Dec 2007
No, I've never been ashamed of watching anime. My father on the other hand tried to get me to stop watching "cartoons", saying I was to old for the stuff.

Now I find it fun talking about something only a few people around would know of. :)
Mar 20, 2010 3:44 PM
Mar 2010
Yes.Ive been ashamed of watching this anime.
Mar 30, 2010 6:40 PM

Jan 2010
Actually yes. Like, in middle school.
But, i'm not ashamed anymore, now when someone
asks me what i'm doing i'll be all : "I'm watching this
kick ass anime. You?"

xD
Mar 30, 2010 6:43 PM

Aug 2009
Not at all, besides most people I know watch a little anime aswell so :p

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

23 by fifi602 »»
5 seconds ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

33 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 8 hours ago

18 by Shirayukin »»
4 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.