Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 11, 2017 4:51 PM

Jun 2016
Hi, I'm finding myself really enjoying anime/manga with amazing art/animation. Can anybody recommend anything to me based on the style and quality of my personal favorites (listed below)?

Anime:
- Your Name, 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Garden of Words, etc.
- Attack On Titan
- Terror in Resonance
- Fate/Zero, Unlimited Blade Works, etc.
- Monogatari

Manga:
- Attack On Titan
- Berserk
- I Am a Hero
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Vagabond

I prefer stuff on the more "serious" side (anything from Spirited Away to Berserk), but any recommendation you have is much appreciated! Also, I'm fairly new, so nothing's too obvious. Thanks =)
Aug 11, 2017 4:59 PM

Jan 2016
FLCL, Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill is definitely a go for you. Maybe the plot might not catch with you, but both the art and the animation of those are simply amazing.

For mangas, Blame! and anything by Naoki Urasawa. You might like Inio Asano works, too.
Aug 11, 2017 5:23 PM

Jun 2016
rapo1 said:
FLCL, Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill is definitely a go for you. Maybe the plot might not catch with you, but both the art and the animation of those are simply amazing.

Never heard of FLCL, I'll try tat.

Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are good ideas, but I won't be watching any more of those than the few action scenes I've watched. I prefer serious anime (like Terror in Resonance, Psycho-Pass, etc.) and other normal stories in anime form rather than the self-parodying kind of anime (like those that have more fan service and comedic relief than plot). Just my preference.

rapo1 said:
For mangas, Blame! and anything by Naoki Urasawa. You might like Inio Asano works, too.

Blame looks great! I'll definitely read that.

Inio Asano's works look great, too, they remind me a lot of I Am a Hero.
Aug 11, 2017 5:48 PM

Jan 2016
e8 said:
Never heard of FLCL, I'll try tat.

Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are good ideas, but I won't be watching any more of those than the few action scenes I've watched. I prefer serious anime (like Terror in Resonance, Psycho-Pass, etc.) and other normal stories in anime form rather than the self-parodying kind of anime (like those that have more fan service and comedic relief than plot). Just my preference.

FLCL has this same style of reckless action and self-parodying, however the interesting part are the symbolisms imbued into the seemingly mindless events of the anime. They are quite simple to grasp just by knowing what the anime is about (I dunno if you mind me to spoil it so I will put it under here, but it isn't that important and being aware of it helped me enjoy the anime more, since I don't like doing rewatches just to "get" an anime). This combined with the soundtrack made it a great experience.

e8 said:

Blame looks great! I'll definitely read that.

Inio Asano's works look great, too, they remind me a lot of I Am a Hero.

Yeah, people always compare Asano works to I Am a Hero, although I don't really know why. Asano is much more fast paced than the latter, I personally didn't like it very much. And Blame! is a real delight for a slow read.
Aug 11, 2017 5:50 PM
Nov 2015
kuuchuu buranko isn't like the other art styles you listed, but it not like any other anime style
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.
Aug 11, 2017 6:07 PM

Jul 2017
-Bungou stray dogs (kimi no nawa)
-Kabaneri of the iron fortress (AOT)
Aug 11, 2017 6:54 PM
Feb 2014
Katsugeki Touken Ranbu is made by Ufotable, the same studio that did the Fate series so i think the animation and art will be to your liking. :)

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Aug 11, 2017 7:09 PM
Oct 2016
Claymore
Ajin
Death Note
Kiseijuu
One Outs
Jiraishin
Monster
Aug 11, 2017 7:44 PM

Jun 2016
rapo1 said:
FLCL has this same style of reckless action and self-parodying, however the interesting part are the symbolisms imbued into the seemingly mindless events of the anime. They are quite simple to grasp just by knowing what the anime is about (I dunno if you mind me to spoil it so I will put it under here, but it isn't that important and being aware of it helped me enjoy the anime more, since I don't like doing rewatches just to "get" an anime). This combined with the soundtrack made it a great experience.

I haven't seen too many "growing up" or "coming to age" anime before, 'cuz those kind of stories are very repetitive and predictable. If FLCL has great animation though, I'll try to expand my interests with it.

rapo1 said:
Yeah, people always compare Asano works to I Am a Hero, although I don't really know why. Asano is much more fast paced than the latter, I personally didn't like it very much. And Blame! is a real delight for a slow read.

Well I can't speak for any plot comparisons yet, but from what I've seen of Asano's artwork on Google, it looks very similar to I Am a Hero in terms of style and detail.

Do you not like zombies? Because I Am a Hero is one of the few movies/series (both live action and anime/manga) that does zombies right! The slow story is very fitting for a series about the decline of human civilization and helps set a very creepy, suspenseful atmosphere for the zombies.
Aug 11, 2017 7:46 PM

Jun 2016
-----noname----- said:
kuuchuu buranko isn't like the other art styles you listed, but it not like any other anime style

Lol, you're right about that! I put the name into Google and got this:

Aug 11, 2017 7:49 PM

Jun 2016
_Crimson_ said:

Kabaneri looks like it has my style of animation! Thanks for the recommendations.

Out of curiosity, was Kabaneri a knock-off of AoT or something? Or perhaps something the same studio made during AoT's hiatus in hopes of creating something to take its place?
Aug 11, 2017 7:52 PM

Jun 2016
Dauphine said:
Katsugeki Touken Ranbu is made by Ufotable, the same studio that did the Fate series so i think the animation and art will be to your liking. :)

Thanks, that looks like some very nice animation, too!
Aug 11, 2017 9:17 PM

Aug 2016
Kingdom - goat manga amazing art
Tokyo Ghoul - manga not anime
Vinland saga - really good revenge story with amazing art, comes out monthly
Sanctuary - really realistic art in a modern day setting
Real - same author of vagabond but about wheel chair basketball
Shamo - really graphic, but if u read berserk you should be fine
Ballroom e Youkoso - manga about ballroom dancing good plot, the art is amazing when he does them dancing
Aug 11, 2017 9:26 PM

Jun 2016
tterraj said:
Kingdom - goat manga amazing art

Good to know, I was considering this one already.
tterraj said:
Tokyo Ghoul - manga not anime

Read it already, this was one of my examples.
tterraj said:
Vinland saga - really good revenge story with amazing art, comes out monthly

This doesn't interest me for some reason. But I do love a good revenge story, so I'll keep it on the backburner.
tterraj said:
Sanctuary - really realistic art in a modern day setting

That art is almost... too realistic? The characters look emotionless lol. idk how to describe it.
tterraj said:
Real - same author of vagabond but about wheel chair basketball

Sports anime/manga bore me tbh.
tterraj said:
Shamo - really graphic, but if u read berserk you should be fine

Should be fine, yes ;-)
Looks interesting, I'll try it.
tterraj said:
Ballroom e Youkoso - manga about ballroom dancing good plot, the art is amazing when he does them dancing

Ballroom dancing goes in the same category as sports XD

Overall, some great ideas, thank you!
Aug 11, 2017 9:51 PM

Jul 2017
e8 said:
_Crimson_ said:

Kabaneri looks like it has my style of animation! Thanks for the recommendations.

Out of curiosity, was Kabaneri a knock-off of AoT or something? Or perhaps something the same studio made during AoT's hiatus in hopes of creating something to take its place?

I mean i like kabaneri more than aot but kabaneri is same studio but based off zombies
Aug 12, 2017 12:29 AM

Aug 2016
@e8
Vinland saga first 50 chapters are the story of his revenge, but after its like the actual story begins a lot of character development and its about actually starts being about Vinland

Sanctuary was my most recent read finished it like last week, and i was hooked right away the detail is amazing, i kinda understand the emotionless part kinda keep the same facial expressions throughout the story still really good tho.

other things i can think of are like Sun-Ken Rock, Eden: It's an Endless World, oyasumi pun pun, Blade of the Immortal, Homunculus.

these are all on my plan to read, just havent got around to reading them yet. But i know they all have really good art, only one i read was homunculus and it was a really good psychological manga

But def read Kingdom first probably my favorite manga out right now shit is literally amazing not a bad arc.
Aug 12, 2017 5:06 AM

Aug 2017
I thought the animation in K was gorgeous: https://myanimelist.net/anime/14467/K
Aug 12, 2017 5:20 AM

Feb 2014
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (sci-fi/police/cyberpunk)

Seirei no Moribito (fantasy/drama/action/slice of life)

Michiko to Hatchin (drama/adventure/action)

Shinsekai Yori (sci-fi/fantasy/drama/post-apocalypse/dystopia) - The character designs are pretty bland, but the background art is great.

Hanasaku Iroha (Slice of life/drama)

Nagi no Asukara (fantasy/romance/drama)
Aug 12, 2017 7:26 AM

Jun 2016
_Crimson_ said:
I mean i like kabaneri more than aot but kabaneri is same studio but based off zombies

Okay, cool. AoT is one of my favorites, so hopefully Kabaneri is on par.
Aug 12, 2017 7:33 AM

Jun 2016
tterraj said:
@e8
Vinland saga first 50 chapters are the story of his revenge, but after its like the actual story begins a lot of character development and its about actually starts being about Vinland

You've piqued my interest now. Vinland Saga reminds me of Berserk in both story and art. If you've ever read Berserk, compare this guy from Vinland Saga (whoever he is) to the King of Midland from Berserk:

tterraj said:
Sanctuary was my most recent read finished it like last week, and i was hooked right away the detail is amazing, i kinda understand the emotionless part kinda keep the same facial expressions throughout the story still really good tho.

lol Yeah, they're drawn really well, but those facial expressions are something that would take some getting used to for me. It reminds me a lot of another manga I saw years ago but I can't remember which...

tterraj said:
But def read Kingdom first probably my favorite manga out right now shit is literally amazing not a bad arc.

Yeah, I'll read Kingdom soon. Thanks for the suggestions!
Aug 12, 2017 7:56 AM

Jun 2016

I watched the original Ghost in the Shell and I was... disappointed. I liked the seriousness of it but the actual story was kinda dull and nothing new for a dystopia fan like me. The animation has held up surprisingly well, though. So I might try this newer one.

Vhailor said:
Seirei no Moribito (fantasy/drama/action/slice of life)

This is a slice of life? This looks good, but I hate slice of life... so we'll see XD

Vhailor said:
Michiko to Hatchin (drama/adventure/action)

Animation looks really unique, I'll try it!

Vhailor said:
Shinsekai Yori (sci-fi/fantasy/drama/post-apocalypse/dystopia) - The character designs are pretty bland, but the background art is great.

One of the earlier anime I watched... watched it for the animation, hated it for the painfully slow and pretentious story.

Vhailor said:
Hanasaku Iroha (Slice of life/drama)

Slice of life again unfortunately, but I'll consider it like anything else.

Vhailor said:
Nagi no Asukara (fantasy/romance/drama)

Wow, that looks beautiful... awesome, thanks for the suggestions XD

Out of curiosity, does Nagi no Asukara actually take place in settings like in all the posters (such as the one below)? They look like they're in an icy spirit world lol. Reminds me of some random dreams I had when I was a kid.

Aug 12, 2017 9:39 AM

Feb 2014
e8 said:

Out of curiosity, does Nagi no Asukara actually take place in settings like in all the posters (such as the one below)? They look like they're in an icy spirit world lol. Reminds me of some random dreams I had when I was a kid.

Yeah, the show does take place in the settings you see in those posters. It's set in and "around" a coastal town, and there is some snow involved too.

Aug 12, 2017 1:19 PM

Aug 2016
@e8
theyre pretty different cant really compare the two of them that much. the king in vinland is like a ruler who took a bunch of land and hes getting old, cant really say much without spoiling.

Cant remember much about berserks king besides the rape and griff shit lmao
Aug 12, 2017 4:17 PM

Jun 2016
Vhailor said:

Yeah, the show does take place in the settings you see in those posters. It's set in and "around" a coastal town, and there is some snow involved too.

Good to know. It looks stunningly beautiful. Anime seems like the perfect medium for sunsets, weather, astronomical events and whatnot.
Aug 12, 2017 4:18 PM

Jun 2016
tterraj said:
@e8
theyre pretty different cant really compare the two of them that much. the king in vinland is like a ruler who took a bunch of land and hes getting old, cant really say much without spoiling.

Cant remember much about berserks king besides the rape and griff shit lmao

The king in Berserk "pursued" Griffith as much as his own daughter...

More topics from this board

» Pumice stone for Toilet Cleaner

Dwellapumice - 2 hours ago

1 by Dumb »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - 6 hours ago

0 by monke_guy »»
6 hours ago

» What manga do you think I'd like, based on my list?

misamxsa - Apr 10

6 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
6 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 11 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.