Forum Settings
Forums

What are the most problematic thing in recent anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 12, 2017 1:08 PM

May 2010
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Stripesu said:
Fantasy (Magic) RPG /in high school/ garbage. How many of these clones do we have to get? Idol shows are also pretty trash to since none of them have tried thinking outside the box.

tfw Macross is the only good unique recent idol series, when it isn't even technically an idol Anime, at this point I find myself getting tired of recent idol Anime even if I'm an avid fan of the genre due to too many plot lines and tropes being recycled over and over again (but low ratings for many of the shows may lead to some studios to focus on making more unique idol shows- well that's until Love Live! is done for good)

Excuse me what's with the subliminal shot at Love Live?

I fucking adore that series?

Also Idolm@ster and Wake up Girls are both fine shows, so I'm not really sure what you're on about in even the slightest.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Aug 12, 2017 1:13 PM

Apr 2013
Stripesu said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

tfw Macross is the only good unique recent idol series, when it isn't even technically an idol Anime, at this point I find myself getting tired of recent idol Anime even if I'm an avid fan of the genre due to too many plot lines and tropes being recycled over and over again (but low ratings for many of the shows may lead to some studios to focus on making more unique idol shows- well that's until Love Live! is done for good)

You're very self-aware. I applaud that.

But obviously the Japanese market indulge in the Love Live! and the idol rehash from season to season so it must be making some people happy.

I've tempted getting into Macross but it's a large ass franchise.....

Macross is huge, the series isn't even technically an idol anime (more of a Space Opera with mechas and music) but it gave the Anime community a general idea of what an idol is, and in a good way like how Perfect Blue did as well. At this point there's only a few idol series I have enjoyed over the past decade (Aikatsu!, the 2011 Idolm@ster Anime) but many idol anime of this decade tend to just be made to show off "waifus" (or husbandos if you want to include male idol shows) Idolm@ster keeps itself alive with that concept but the series tends to make all its individual idols unique and is never afraid to put them into a serious light (unless it's Cinderella Girl since bleh, forced drama is a terrible trend in recent idol anime) Love Live! on the other hand tho... I... *sigh* I just want it to end already... oh but if you want an idol Anime that's kinda of like Macross but is a bit shorter... AKB0048 may be good for you, it keeps the whole concept of cute girls wanting to become idols but it adds risk and MECHAS so enjoy (check out Macross one day tho, it's huge but it's worth it)

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 12, 2017 1:19 PM

Apr 2013
Jimmykudo3000 said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Also Idolm@ster and Wake up Girls are both fine shows, so I'm not really sure what you're on about in even the slightest.

Idolm@ster and Wake Up Girls! I like (wug tries to take itself way too seriously sometimes tbh) Love Live! on the other hand... good characters, terrible writing, don't get me started on how terrible the fact that Sunshine!! rehashed the plot of the 1st series with Chika in joy literally saying "OH OUR SCHOOL IS SHUTTING DOWN? WOW, WE'RE IN THE SAME SITUATION MUSE WAS IN!" Like come on, at that point I knew what every episode was gonna be about, I can only hope Sunshine!! S2 keeps its plot super original but at this point even I know it's gonna end with Aqours disbanding cause the 3rd years have to graduate, Love Live! has good characters but the writing is bad, that is all.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 12, 2017 1:25 PM

May 2010
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Jimmykudo3000 said:

Idolm@ster and Wake Up Girls! I like (wug tries to take itself way too seriously sometimes tbh) Love Live! on the other hand... good characters, terrible writing, don't get me started on how terrible the fact that Sunshine!! rehashed the plot of the 1st series with Chika in joy literally saying "OH ARE SCHOOL IS SHUTTING DOWN? WOW, WE'RE IN THE SAME SITUATION MUSE WAS IN!" Like come on, at that point I knew what every episode was gonna be about, I can only hope Sunshine!! S2 keeps its plot super original but at this point even I know it's gonna end with Aqours disbanding cause the 3rd years have to graduate, Love Live! has good characters but the writing is bad, that is all.

Iite that's a fair point presented at Sunshine. I think most people even fans of the serious concede some of the writing is so plagiarist that if it wasn't the same studio and creation team there would be lawsuits. That's why I scored Sunshine a 4 or 5 cause it lacked what I call creative integrity.

However that doesn't hold true for the original first two seasons of Love Live centred around Muse. And I would have to vehemently reject that the writing in Love Live! can be described in anyway as poor.

Also I'm not sure what you mean about WUG trying to take itself too seriously? I mean I understand (especially in the beginning) there were melodramatic elements - but i mean to me that doesn't underscore the whole anime.

Sound Euphonium (especially the 2nd season) can be considered having melodramatic elements and its (rightfully) hailed as a masterpiece.

So when this concept of "shows being too serious" became such a bad thing, will always perplex me.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Aug 12, 2017 1:26 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Stripesu said:

You're very self-aware. I applaud that.

But obviously the Japanese market indulge in the Love Live! and the idol rehash from season to season so it must be making some people happy.

I've tempted getting into Macross but it's a large ass franchise.....

Macross is huge, the series isn't even technically an idol anime (more of a Space Opera with mechas and music) but it gave the Anime community a general idea of what an idol is, and in a good way like how Perfect Blue did as well. At this point there's only a few idol series I have enjoyed over the past decade (Aikatsu!, the 2011 Idolm@ster Anime) but many idol anime of this decade tend to just be made to show off "waifus" (or husbandos if you want to include male idol shows) Idolm@ster keeps itself alive with that concept but the series tends to make all its individual idols unique and is never afraid to put them into a serious light (unless it's Cinderella Girl since bleh, forced drama is a terrible trend in recent idol anime) Love Live! on the other hand tho... I... *sigh* I just want it to end already... oh but if you want an idol Anime that's kinda of like Macross but is a bit shorter... AKB0048 may be good for you, it keeps the whole concept of cute girls wanting to become idols but it adds risk and MECHAS so enjoy (check out Macross one day tho, it's huge but it's worth it)

Wish there was a show with the ideas of Perfect Blue but I doubt the otaku are ready for that. A dark subversion would be almost amusing. But the other aspects in Macross really hammers it as a good looking series. It doesn't push the idols to be the forefront which is masterful in a way.

I can't even stand drama in romance series (or forced drama) I could only imagine how draining it is to watch with a huge group of girls. A headache.
Aug 12, 2017 1:34 PM

Apr 2013
Jimmykudo3000 said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Idolm@ster and Wake Up Girls! I like (wug tries to take itself way too seriously sometimes tbh) Love Live! on the other hand... good characters, terrible writing, don't get me started on how terrible the fact that Sunshine!! rehashed the plot of the 1st series with Chika in joy literally saying "OH ARE SCHOOL IS SHUTTING DOWN? WOW, WE'RE IN THE SAME SITUATION MUSE WAS IN!" Like come on, at that point I knew what every episode was gonna be about, I can only hope Sunshine!! S2 keeps its plot super original but at this point even I know it's gonna end with Aqours disbanding cause the 3rd years have to graduate, Love Live! has good characters but the writing is bad, that is all.

Iite that's a fair point presented at Sunshine. I think most people even fans of the serious concede some of the writing is so plagiarist that if it wasn't the same studio and creation team there would be lawsuits. That's why I scored Sunshine a 4 or 5 cause it lacked what I call creative integrity.

However that doesn't hold true for the original first two seasons of Love Live centred around Muse. And I would have to vehemently reject that the writing in Love Live! can be described in anyway as poor.

Also I'm not sure what you mean about WUG trying to take itself too seriously? I mean I understand (especially in the beginning) there were melodramatic elements - but i mean to me that doesn't underscore the whole anime.

Sound Euphonium (especially the 2nd season) can be considered having melodramatic elements and its (rightfully) hailed as a masterpiece.

So when this concept of "shows being too serious" became such a bad thing, will always perplex me.

I have no issue with the original Love Live! aside from Nico's annoying antics but I don't understand why it's viewed as the "Best Anime or Idol Anime of all time" by the Japanese. (Well everything Muse related made it into the Top 10s' of Japan's Top 100 Anime of all time)

WUG trying to be a representative of what the idol industry is really like came off as too edgy in the beginning (the rest of the show was fine, I'm looking forward to the new series)

my qualm with most modern idol series is the fact majority of them have such great characters but they are handled by terrible writers, I've been watching idol anime long enough to dub myself the "idol grandpa" but at this point I need to see something new being done with them, the fact that all new idol shows aside from Love Live! Sunshine!! have been receiving low ratings shows that other people want to see something new being done with idol anime as well (also the CG Models during the performances in Love Live! are BLEH tbh)

Ascended Taste
Aug 12, 2017 1:38 PM

Nov 2009
Stripesu said:
Fantasy (Magic) RPG /in high school/ garbage. How many of these clones do we have to get?

Until you shut up and actually look at the stories themselves instead of their settings.

Stripesu said:
Idol shows are also pretty trash to since none of them have tried thinking outside the box.

Oh really?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/12149/AKB0048
Aug 12, 2017 1:40 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
flannan said:
Stripesu said:
Fantasy (Magic) RPG /in high school/ garbage. How many of these clones do we have to get?

Until you shut up and actually look at the stories themselves instead of their settings.

They all have the same copy paste boy and girl characters with the over powered mc and the love/hate relationship or accompanying harem.

Konosuba says hi and is the only exception.
Aug 12, 2017 1:43 PM

May 2010
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Jimmykudo3000 said:

I have no issue with the original Love Live! aside from Nico's annoying antics but I don't understand why it's viewed as the "Best Anime or Idol Anime of all time" by the Japanese. (Well everything Muse related made it into the Top 10s' of Japan's Top 100 Anime of all time)

WUG trying to be a representative of what the idol industry is really like came off as too edgy in the beginning (the rest of the show was fine, I'm looking forward to the new series)

my qualm with most modern idol series is the fact majority of them have such great characters but they are handled by terrible writers, I've been watching idol anime long enough to dub myself the "idol grandpa" but at this point I need to see something new being done with them, the fact that all new idol shows aside from Love Live! Sunshine!! have been receiving low ratings shows that other people want to see something new being done with idol anime as well (also the CG Models during the performances in Love Live! are BLEH tbh)

Well I agree on one thing Nico probably was the most annoying character among the original cast. LOL. Somehow she's oddly popular for whatever reason. Oh well, I'll leave that to the people who rate her.

Honestly I do view Love Live as the best idol anime I've ever seen. You can say that I don't have a comprehensive overview of the entire genre - I've seen maybe half a dozen? a dozen? Not really sure, but Love Live was definitely the best from what I've seen. Character wise, animation wise, music wise, dialogue wise, and yeah fuck it, even plot wise. I didn't have any problems with the motivations of Muse wanting to save their school from being foreclosed. No complaints. For me it falls just outside my top 100 shows of all time (#106), although I would have no problem with its inclusion in the back half of a top 100.

I had no problems with WUG's premise. I enjoyed the outlook. It's like the Shirobako of idols. You can call it edgy, but ill eat that shit up anytime lol.

I mean i guess your qualm with the idol genre is the same qualm people would have with the horror genre, fantasy genre, highschool slice of life genre, magical girl genre, shounen genre, blah blah etc.

Most tend to stick to a tried and true formula. I'm perfectly okay with that. Would I mind if if one took a risk and we ended up with the "Madoka Magica" of idol anime? (not to say it has to be dark and edgy) but I get what you're saying in wanting something completely different.

For me keep giving me all the Wake Up Girls, Idolm@ster's (except Cinderella Girls) and Love Live's! (except Sunshine) in the world. And keep them coming!

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Aug 12, 2017 1:46 PM

May 2010
Stripesu said:
flannan said:

They all have the same copy paste boy and girl characters with the over powered mc and the love/hate relationship or accompanying harem.

lmfao I'll take one Re:Zero and one SAO over a hundred Mob Psycho's and Boku no Hero Academia's.

Enjoy your weak whiny protagonists. I'll give you a rec though. Try Ushio to Tora MC spends a quarter the time literally sobbing.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Aug 12, 2017 1:50 PM
Feb 2016
Tyler, the Creator's sexuality, of course.
Aug 12, 2017 2:02 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Jimmykudo3000 said:
Stripesu said:

lmfao I'll take one Re:Zero and one SAO over a hundred Mob Psycho's and Boku no Hero Academia's.

Enjoy your weak whiny protagonists. I'll give you a rec though. Try Ushio to Tora MC spends a quarter the time literally sobbing.

So you prefer over powered MC pussy magnets that don't actually work or struggle to get what they have. Gottcha. It's probably hard to understand a character who gains layers and goes thru mental stigma in their series compared to basic bitch syndrome in every other fantasy anime.

Aug 12, 2017 2:04 PM

May 2010
Stripesu said:
Jimmykudo3000 said:

So you prefer over powered MC pussy magnets that don't actually work or struggle to get what they have. Gottcha. It's probably hard to understand a character who gains layers and goes thru mental stigma in their series compared to basic bitch syndrome in every other fantasy anime.

>Subaru
>overpowered

Pick one LOL.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Aug 12, 2017 2:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BurningSpirit said:
I don't see problems that can only be found recently in anime. Maybe distracting amounts of fanservice.

you wanna die? i'll fucking kill you >:(

besides, theres not really any more now than there was before

uh.. well i mean, i WOULD say lack of creativity, but being creative in 2017 isn't an anime problem, its just unavoidable
Aug 12, 2017 2:29 PM

Nov 2009
Stripesu said:
flannan said:

Your list appears to be badly out of date, so I am not going to bother trying to use examples you know about.
I know the following franchises work on RPG mechanics (and I actually know enough about them to talk about them):
* Record of Lodoss War
* Night Wizard
* Chaos Dragon
* SAO
* Log Horizon
* Danmachi
* Grimgar
* Utawarerumono
* Granblue Fantasy
* Konosuba

Copy paste characters?
Would you really say any of the numerous girls in Danmachi is exactly like Deedlit (the elf from RoLW)?
Or maybe you're going to say Aiz Wallenstein is similar to Asuna Yuuki?
Or maybe that MCs from Danmachi and Grimgar are in any way similar, despite their similar circumstances?
Your best bet would be to say MCs from Granblue Fantasy and Record of Lodoss War are the same - they surely reflect the same archetype.

Overpowered MCs? Can you really say that to the face of MC from Chaos Dragon? I'm sure MCs from Danmachi and Grimgar aren't anywhere near "overpowered" too.
Frankly, I disagree with most people's declarations of MC overpoweredness. Unless the MC is like Alucard and suffers from lack of worthy opponents, he is not overpowered.
A MC like Kirito, who needs to be saved by the author all the time, sure isn't overpowered.

I'll grant you that romantic relationships are often present in these kinds of works.

Now on to high school stories. There is always a lot of high school stories, and there are going to be more, because it's the default setting.
Will you really say Haganai is the same as Oregairu? Sure, Yukino might be similar to Yozora, but that's it.
Or maybe you will actually do an across-genre comparison and compare them to, say, Galko-chan?
Aug 12, 2017 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
Toooooooooooooooooooo much lolis and tsunderes...
Aug 12, 2017 2:41 PM

Jun 2011
SupremeEdgelord said:
flannan said:
Too many dumb people watching anime. Too many people lacking in a sense of self-worth watching anime.
Back in the day, anime was awesome, because only people capable of praising anime and feeling good about watching this alien stuff were watching it.

I have to agree, they don't make much sci-fi nowadays, with fantasy being way more popular. But I don't think it's a problem - in the end, most sci-fi of the past was meaningless military action. The only difference with modern fantasy is aesthetics.

I completely agree with your post, i'm tired of all the layers of irony of modern anime fans. They are all about self-deprecation and memes, and they make everyone else look bad.

True... Even I have fallen into that honestly.

But even old fans were like that. See:Otaku no Video. If anything, we were harsher about our self depricative memes. Drunk before noon shame types.

The only people who weren't ashamed really was that brief moment in 2006 when it felt like everyone liked and loved anime. Then in 2008 you woke up and realized no, not really true, people are haters, also they posted your picture online and made fun of how fat or flat chested you were. I donno.

And as much as you can say "yaoi pride" with no irony at all, there will be a person round the corner to tell you how wrong you are for it these days. The anime community is just that much bigger.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 12, 2017 2:42 PM
Jun 2017
Problem with recent anime?

> No Hunter X Hunter

> Watching mediocre shows while waiting for the good ones

> Too much Tsundere, not enough Yandere
Aug 12, 2017 2:53 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
flannan said:
Stripesu said:

Your list appears to be badly out of date, so I am not going to bother trying to use examples you know about.
I know the following franchises work on RPG mechanics (and I actually know enough about them to talk about them):
* Record of Lodoss War
* Night Wizard
* Chaos Dragon
* SAO
* Log Horizon
* Danmachi
* Grimgar
* Utawarerumono
* Granblue Fantasy
* Konosuba

Copy paste characters?
Would you really say any of the numerous girls in Danmachi is exactly like Deedlit (the elf from RoLW)?
Or maybe you're going to say Aiz Wallenstein is similar to Asuna Yuuki?
Or maybe that MCs from Danmachi and Grimgar are in any way similar, despite their similar circumstances?
Your best bet would be to say MCs from Granblue Fantasy and Record of Lodoss War are the same - they surely reflect the same archetype.

Overpowered MCs? Can you really say that to the face of MC from Chaos Dragon? I'm sure MCs from Danmachi and Grimgar aren't anywhere near "overpowered" too.
Frankly, I disagree with most people's declarations of MC overpoweredness. Unless the MC is like Alucard and suffers from lack of worthy opponents, he is not overpowered.
A MC like Kirito, who needs to be saved by the author all the time, sure isn't overpowered.

I'll grant you that romantic relationships are often present in these kinds of works.

Now on to high school stories. There is always a lot of high school stories, and there are going to be more, because it's the default setting.
Will you really say Haganai is the same as Oregairu? Sure, Yukino might be similar to Yozora, but that's it.
Or maybe you will actually do an across-genre comparison and compare them to, say, Galko-chan?

My point of the /insert high school/ bothers me on all genres but it particularly infuriates me on a level of the fantasy magic because they insert it so these kids have a "some what plot". Comparing it to a real world setting slice of life with no extra padding isn't even warranted.

Danmachi is still a quick to collect harem series for the cardboard protagonist. It doesn't matter if the girls "look different" or "have a somewhat personality" But maybe you confused Hestia's "unique" character design to be a shining star of difference from the rest of it's ilk.

Kirito being saved by deus ex machina isn't helping your point. Just proving he's one dimensional as the rest and can't struggle for shit.

Oh. I'm sorry I didn't relegate the range of. Overpowered MC to Special Snowflake "he has access to this type of magic/power nobody else can". I didn't think I needed to quick detail the checklist for the Fantasy Genre the staff writers pick up on their way to creating the show.

Log Horizon might be the only one that has some serious effort into it's world and politics without groveling to the MC whims. Throw a party and applause please.

You naming a bunch of series who all similarly bait off one another just to carry the same traits as just to tweak it just a slight bit but not rework a damn thing ain't shit. Just proving how blinded you are to the flaws the genre has in it's entirety.

Anyways. Enjoy your genre. It's obviously appealing to all your needs.
Aug 12, 2017 3:03 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Stripesu said:

My point of the /insert high school/ bothers me on all genres but it particularly infuriates me on a level of the fantasy magic because they insert it so these kids have a "some what plot". Comparing it to a real world setting slice of life with no extra padding isn't even warranted.

Danmachi is still a quick to collect harem series for the cardboard protagonist. It doesn't matter if the girls "look different" or "have a somewhat personality" But maybe you confused Hestia's "unique" character design to be a shining star of difference from the rest of it's ilk.

Kirito being saved by deus ex machina isn't helping your point. Just proving he's one dimensional as the rest and can't struggle for shit.

Oh. I'm sorry I didn't relegate the range of. Overpowered MC to Special Snowflake "he has access to this type of magic/power nobody else can". I didn't think I needed to quick detail the checklist for the Fantasy Genre the staff writers pick up on their way to creating the show.

Log Horizon might be the only one that has some serious effort into it's world and politics without groveling to the MC whims. Throw a party and applause please.

You naming a bunch of series who all similarly bait off one another just to carry the same traits as just to tweak it just a slight bit but not rework a damn thing ain't shit. Just proving how blinded you are to the flaws the genre has in it's entirety.

The guy literally put forth a bunch of comparisons you could've attempted to connect to reinforce your sentiment he was challenging, and you're doing absolutely nothing with them. Instead, you continue just trying paint things in broad strokes to reinforce your own sentiment over a type of show, and when somebody puts forth possibilities concerning the differences in these types of series you're just going to try and magically wave them away. Astounding.

If you've got no interest in discussing things, only making vapid claims and doing nothing to reinforce your criticisms other than vapidly saying "they just bait off of one another to carry the same treats as just to tweak it just a slight bit but not rework a damn thing ain't shit. Just proving how blinded you are to the flaws the genre has in it is entrety" then you shouldn't really be posting an opinion. Just continue to have it on your own, where the only person who can potentially say that you're not correct is yourself. It'd be easier than insinuating that the only reason people are arguing with you is because they're blind fanboys who can't see the flaws of a genre and providing absolutely nothing to make that more than just a hollow, empty, and vapid accusation.

You brought forth absolutely *nothing* of substance with this post, and only responded to his challenges with insinuations and a couple of claims that you did nothing to explain or communicate your ideas in any way to make it seem like you're doing anything with this response other than just plugging your ears and saying "la la la la" until people back off of you for making an objectionable statement.

If you don't want to hear other people out and just want to confine yourself to your own viewpoint, like you're pretty obviously doing right now, then why are you even on a discussion board in the first place?
ManabanAug 12, 2017 3:08 PM

Aug 12, 2017 3:15 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Manaban said:
Stripesu said:

The guy literally put forth a bunch of comparisons you could've attempted to connect to reinforce your sentiment he was challenging, and you're doing absolutely nothing with them. Instead, you continue just trying paint things in broad strokes to reinforce your own sentiment over a type of show, and when somebody puts forth possibilities concerning the differences in these types of series you're just going to try and magically wave them away. Astounding.

If you've got no interest in discussing things, only making vapid claims and doing nothing to reinforce your criticisms other than vapidly saying "they just bait off of one another to carry the same treats as just to tweak it just a slight bit but not rework a damn thing ain't shit. Just proving how blinded you are to the flaws the genre has in it is entrety" then you shouldn't really be posting an opinion. Just continue to have it on your own, where the only person who can potentially say that you're not correct is yourself. It'd be easier than insinuating that the only reason people are arguing with you is because they're blind fanboys who can't see the flaws of a genre and providing absolutely nothing to make that more than just a hollow, empty, and vapid accusation.

You brought forth absolutely *nothing* of substance with this post, and only responded to his challenges with insinuations and a couple of claims that you did nothing to explain or communicate your ideas in any way to make it seem like you're doing anything with this response other than just plugging your ears and saying "la la la la" until people back off of you for making an objectionable statement.

If you don't want to hear other people out and just want to confine yourself to your own viewpoint, like you're pretty obviously doing right now, then why are you even on a discussion board in the first place?

Because I've viewed the material of some of the shows he's put forth. Unlike most the people on this forum I don't subject myself to go try everything out to waste my time. I'm not going to go research every show he's put out there just to pull the basic information of the world and characters. It's obvious he's a fanboy of the genre and doesn't know the short comings of it other than "yeah there's bad romance elements".

I don't want to create a short essay for a vapid discussion I'm not even invested in and really wasn't with my short one sentence opinion. Bye.
Aug 12, 2017 3:23 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Stripesu said:
Because I've viewed the material of some of the shows he's put forth. Unlike most the people on this forum I don't subject myself to go try everything out to waste my time. I'm not going to go research every show he's put out there just to pull the basic information of the world and characters.

Ah. So you don't have enough information to make catch-all statements like that to begin with, which in turn means you probably wouldn't hold up well actually discussing them - because, of course, you don't have any experience or information. You're just asserting uninformed truths and calling anybody who says otherwise a blind fanboy.

Again, astounding.

Stripesu said:
It's obvious he's a fanboy of the genre and doesn't know the short comings of it other than "yeah there's bad romance elements".

From where I'm standing, he approached you perfectly reasonably over it and you're just accusing him of being an overzealous fanboy in a way that's completely unwarranted.

And at least he provided examples and reasoning. All you've done in this thread is make claims and provided nothing as to why somebody should listen to you or consider you correct, but if they don't then they're just ignoring the flaws of the genre. Clearly.

Stripesu said:

I don't want to create a short essay for a vapid discussion I'm not even invested in and really wasn't with my short one sentence opinion. Bye.

Yeah, bye. I can say with certainty that you added nothing of value to this thread in any way whatsoever, and if this is going to be your general attitude then you have absolutely no place being on a discussion board to begin with.
ManabanAug 12, 2017 3:28 PM

Aug 12, 2017 3:26 PM

Jul 2013
As for what is considered "popular" nowadays... here's a little rant ;)

Almost nonrelevant male MCs + a ton of strong female MCs in the fantasy genre.

People always scream about how great "Re:Creators" is, but after I saw the - yet again! - clueless and useless MC in episode one ("oh, never saw a character like this!") and all those badass MC girls, I convinced myself to never touch this anime again. I really hate this type of setup, it just feels completely overused by now. It's like some authors don't know how a decent guy behaves anymore, they can only create the loser MC or the overpowered badass, there are barely any types of men in between.

But that is mainly a problem in the fantasy genre, most male MCs there have become - at least in my opinion - incredibly flat, boring and weak. Some sure have their smart moments, but that is still nowhere near as cool as what the female cast is able to do. The layered characterization and abilities of the males and females in other genres feel more balanced to me.

I don't hate strong female MCs btw xD I'm a girl myself, but I'm tired of seeing the same roles over and over again :o
Aug 12, 2017 3:37 PM

Apr 2015
Lack of adult people as main characters. I'm kind of tired of high school protagonists. Instead of ''cute assassin little girls'' I radder choose ''cool assassin women (MILF if you prefer)''. I can't stand genius MC at the age of 12-17 years old, why can't it be an adult? Or a old guy/woman?
I'm not saying that we have to eliminate 12-17 main characters, some of them are pretty good but, you know, maybe a little of diversity would be great.
Aug 12, 2017 3:51 PM

May 2010
Manaban said:
Stripesu said:

LOL I haven't seen my guy this angry since the elitist discussion posts, but what he's saying here isn't really wrong. The only thing I'd have to add is

This literally applies to (I don't necessarily like arbitrary percentages) - so ill just say a solid majority of MAL's users. Myself not necessarily excluded.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Aug 12, 2017 4:15 PM

Jul 2016
Keijo!!!!!!!! is problematic because it dropped the ball for the first true ass service anime. I wanted to watch it when I saw the first PV, and thought it would be a sports anime like Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! without any fantasy elements. All the shit it pulled made me skip it after monitoring the episode discussions.

tragedydesu said:
>lack of sad endings

I don't understand people who watch anime to feel sad.
Aug 12, 2017 4:31 PM

Jul 2015
@IpreferEcchi
i meant sad ending in a dark anime
giving a dark anime a happy ending is anticlimactic ... at least a bittersweet one

ofc i love happy endings in rom/com or any lighthearted anime
Aug 12, 2017 4:32 PM

Nov 2016
IpreferEcchi said:
tragedydesu said:
>lack of sad endings

Sad and depressing endings have some kind of beauty which can't be found in happy ones, they make one aware that all good times ultimately will come to an end and therefore we should appreciate those moments and memories more.

I also like to watch drama anime as compensation for the lack of gloominess in my own life.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 12, 2017 4:37 PM

Sep 2016
Jimmykudo3000 said:

Why does it seem like you're taking the piss on fantasy anime.

I'm guessing you didn't watch Gate because that literally happens - what you described.

I didn't watch gate no. and I enjoy fantasy. Just to much plot armor and silliness in modern fantasy.
I don't care.
Aug 12, 2017 4:39 PM

Jul 2015
By far the WANTED and planned lack of an ending. THey dont want complete animes anymore, they just want to promote a novel or a manga, that also doesnt get translated, so especially the non Japanese audience never will have any closure.

Its really the main reason, why I rarely watch any serious animes anymore.
Aug 12, 2017 4:39 PM

Aug 2016
I personally don't think there's really any major flaws with current anime, its just that since I tend to watch a lot of them (Airing anime n' junk) there tends to be poorly made ones, but that's the exact same as older anime but I don't really ever watch the less popular and poorly rated ones because there's all the good ones like Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments main I wanna watch instead..

If that's makes sense at all....... 💺
Aug 12, 2017 4:40 PM

Jul 2016
FMmatron said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Sad and depressing endings have some kind of beauty which can't be found in happy ones, they make one aware that all good times ultimately will come to an end and therefore we should appreciate those moments and memories more.

I also like to watch drama anime as compensation for the lack of gloominess in my own life.

I think that's pretty stupid. I have no further interest in characters that aren't well off by the end of an anime. It's a waste. This is a similar conversation as another I had with someone on this board.

You can have drama to make the audience appreciate the bonds between characters, but you can resolve it at the end.

Dog Days is a perfect example of this. It got three seasons. I still have to put it back on my list.
Aug 12, 2017 4:52 PM

Nov 2016
IpreferEcchi said:
FMmatron said:

I think that's pretty stupid. I have no further interest in characters that aren't well off by the end of an anime. It's a waste. This is a similar conversation as another I had with someone on this board.

You can have drama to make the audience appreciate the bonds between characters, but you can resolve it at the end.

Dog Days is a perfect example of this. I still have to put it back on my list.

I don't see why an end where a character leaves the world should be a problem. As long as he fulfilled his purpose everything is fine. There are even some examples where the death made more sense and had actual meaning for the other characters and also for us viewers.

It's a good way to show that some people only live for their dreams and once they achieved them, there is basically no reason to continue.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 12, 2017 5:01 PM

Jul 2016
FMmatron said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Dog Days is a perfect example of this. I still have to put it back on my list.

I don't see why an end where a character leaves the world should be a problem. As long as he fulfilled his purpose everything is fine. There are even some examples where the death made more sense and had actual meaning for the other characters and also for us viewers.

It's a good way to show that some people only live for their dreams and once they achieved them, there is basically no reason to continue.

I can't spoil Dog Days, but it has all of those things in one way or another, and still has happy endings. It's a paragon. I literally gave all three seasons a 10 before. I removed it because I now have a policy to post in every episode discussion. So I'm going to do that with it this time.
Aug 12, 2017 5:07 PM

Nov 2016
IpreferEcchi said:
FMmatron said:

I can't spoil Dog Days, but it has all of those things in one way or another. It's a paragon. I literally gave all three seasons a 10 before. I removed it because I now have a policy to post in every episode discussion. So I'm going to do that with it this time.

Ok, I add it to PTW and might watch it when I'm feeling like to give it a try^^

Aug 12, 2017 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
Jimmykudo3000 said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Well I agree on one thing Nico probably was the most annoying character among the original cast. LOL. Somehow she's oddly popular for whatever reason. Oh well, I'll leave that to the people who rate her.

Honestly I do view Love Live as the best idol anime I've ever seen. You can say that I don't have a comprehensive overview of the entire genre - I've seen maybe half a dozen? a dozen? Not really sure, but Love Live was definitely the best from what I've seen. Character wise, animation wise, music wise, dialogue wise, and yeah fuck it, even plot wise. I didn't have any problems with the motivations of Muse wanting to save their school from being foreclosed. No complaints. For me it falls just outside my top 100 shows of all time (#106), although I would have no problem with its inclusion in the back half of a top 100.

I had no problems with WUG's premise. I enjoyed the outlook. It's like the Shirobako of idols. You can call it edgy, but ill eat that shit up anytime lol.

I mean i guess your qualm with the idol genre is the same qualm people would have with the horror genre, fantasy genre, highschool slice of life genre, magical girl genre, shounen genre, blah blah etc.

Most tend to stick to a tried and true formula. I'm perfectly okay with that. Would I mind if if one took a risk and we ended up with the "Madoka Magica" of idol anime? (not to say it has to be dark and edgy) but I get what you're saying in wanting something completely different.

For me keep giving me all the Wake Up Girls, Idolm@ster's (except Cinderella Girls) and Love Live's! (except Sunshine) in the world. And keep them coming!

Yeah, it's just that I have seen most of what the Idol Anime genre has to offer and it's kinda sad when seeing newer shows and sequels falling victim to reused tropes and terrible writing, at this point Idolm@ster's Cinderella Girls with the forced depression on Uzuki was kinda useless (her performance of S(mile)ING! was great tho) Love Live! with Sunshine!! having to rehash plot devices from the first series, this even happened with the newest series of my fave idol Anime, Aikatsu! Stars! (Aikatsu Stars!) like Sunshine!! suffers from the same issues, rehashed plot devices and such, I understand that it's nice to see cute anime girls aspiring to be the "Top Idol" but with recent shows like "Idol Memories, Battle Girl Highschool, and Idol Jihen" all of them sucked, Idol Memories was the worst but it's saddening to me seeing such great idols deal with a lack of great writing. I dunno, this is true with almost everything but once you realize that something you've become passionate about has started to become bland it sucks bad, I shouldn't expect great writing from idol Anime of all things but if they're at least going to give me idol shows that are basically about idols "reaching for the top" give me stuff like the original Aikatsu! and idolm@ster, give me the nonsensical fun that Love Live! was without Nico (lol) let Wake, Up Girls! new season be good, that's all I can ask for from idol shows tbh

Ascended Taste
Aug 12, 2017 9:12 PM

Sep 2014
The problem with anime for the mospart is PANDERING to the lowest denominator of anime fans, but thats where the money is even if its not sustainable
Aug 12, 2017 9:47 PM

Nov 2014
EcchiKingMamster said:
BurningSpirit said:
I don't see problems that can only be found recently in anime. Maybe distracting amounts of fanservice.

uh.. well i mean, i WOULD say lack of creativity, but being creative in 2017 isn't an anime problem, its just unavoidable

Honestly I like fanservice, in fact distracting fanservice is great. Just as long as the scene is a fanservice scene and not a conversational one where fanservice is inserted for extra measure.

As for not having that much fanservice in the past, not completely true. There's a lot of fanservice in the past as well, some which annoyed me as well because of the scenes that were placed in. But they were far milder and probably not as explicitly animated as they would today.

Tl;dr More explicit fanservice has made fanservice scenes and fanservice anime better, but the same explicitness that when put in non-fanservice scenes makes it distracting.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Aug 12, 2017 9:56 PM

Nov 2009
Stripesu said:

Did you meant to say that fantasy, whether RPG-style or magic-academy-style, is too repetitive?
Because I originally understood your statement as "RPG mechanics verses and school anime are too repetitive".

Stripesu said:
Because I've viewed the material of some of the shows he's put forth. Unlike most the people on this forum I don't subject myself to go try everything out to waste my time. I'm not going to go research every show he's put out there just to pull the basic information of the world and characters. It's obvious he's a fanboy of the genre and doesn't know the short comings of it other than "yeah there's bad romance elements".

You are free to use your own examples. Unlike you, I've seen a lot of stuff, and heard about pretty much everything I haven't watched.
Especially if you're going to be taking about magic academies.

Fanboy of the genre? I just hate snobs like you, who make sweeping statements you aren't qualified to make.

Stripesu said:

I am saying that you took a damn rare subgenre (settings that actually run on RPG mechanics), that is filled with very different shows using these mechanics in very different ways, and trying to make an unusustainable claim that they are very similar.

Stripesu said:

This sentence doesn't make any sense. Reki Kawahara does not owe you to write in battle shounen style. SAO is not a battle shounen and has no reason to work like one.
A character's level of power and success has no relation to their depth. And finally, character depth has no relation to them being different from others.

Stripesu said:

Fantasy genre might have a lot of tropes, but that does not allow you to claim all shows are the same.

Stripesu said:

Yes, I am an anime fan. I like what anime authors are doing, and I often find myself wanting more of the same thing. I can never understand snobs that keep crying for variety. Especially in a genre they don't actually like in the first place.
Aug 12, 2017 10:06 PM

Nov 2009
Luzy779 said:
Lack of adult people as main characters. I'm kind of tired of high school protagonists. Instead of ''cute assassin little girls'' I radder choose ''cool assassin women (MILF if you prefer)''. I can't stand genius MC at the age of 12-17 years old, why can't it be an adult? Or a old guy/woman?
I'm not saying that we have to eliminate 12-17 main characters, some of them are pretty good but, you know, maybe a little of diversity would be great.

I recommend you Triage X. Lots of badass assassin women there.

tragedydesu said:
>lack of sad endings

There are plenty of anime with sad endings. Doesn't get much sadder than last season's Shuumatsu or Rewrite.
And if you're not like me, and watch darker stuff, I'm sure you'll find even more sad and bittersweet endings.

DancingTheBa said:
I personally don't think there's really any major flaws with current anime, its just that since I tend to watch a lot of them (Airing anime n' junk) there tends to be poorly made ones, but that's the exact same as older anime but I don't really ever watch the less popular and poorly rated ones because there's all the good ones like Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments main I wanna watch instead..

If that's makes sense at all....... 💺

Yes, this makes perfect sense.
flannanAug 12, 2017 10:09 PM
Aug 13, 2017 4:01 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BurningSpirit said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

Honestly I like fanservice, in fact distracting fanservice is great. Just as long as the scene is a fanservice scene and not a conversational one where fanservice is inserted for extra measure.

As for not having that much fanservice in the past, not completely true. There's a lot of fanservice in the past as well, some which annoyed me as well because of the scenes that were placed in. But they were far milder and probably not as explicitly animated as they would today.

Tl;dr More explicit fanservice has made fanservice scenes and fanservice anime better, but the same explicitness that when put in non-fanservice scenes makes it distracting.

um... what you're describing as a fanservice scene, therefore wouldn't be fanservice...

what you're describing as a non fanservice scene WOULD BE fanservice.. thats kind of the point...

who whole point of fanservice is the "this doesn't HAVE TO be here" factor... thats a major appeal of it

and i mean.. i know some old anime that can definitely rival today... thing is most people don't watch them...

Mod edit: removed bait
BrandonAug 19, 2017 3:01 AM
Aug 13, 2017 4:24 AM

Sep 2011
Most visual novel to anime adaptations are total shit.

Aug 13, 2017 4:26 AM

Jun 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Too much shitty LN. Too much shitty VN. Too much shitty manga, Everything's (well, the adaptations) just too shit.
As if original anime had the most creative minds in the planet. They're consistently worse in general.
Aug 13, 2017 4:27 AM

Mar 2015
Tennouji said:

what do you expect to jamming dozens until hunderds hours wolktrought to less than 4 hours? pretty sure it's not "recent" problem...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 13, 2017 4:57 AM

Sep 2011
Kuma said:
Tennouji said:

what do you expect to jamming dozens until hunderds hours wolktrought to less than 4 hours? pretty sure it's not "recent" problem...

Yeah I know it's been quite few years already but there were good/decent(Or at the very least, not half-assed) visual novel to anime adaptations.

Aug 13, 2017 5:04 AM

Nov 2013
Too much focus on promoting source material. I doubt that will ever change though and I wouldn't say it's a recent problem, but I think it's the biggest problem. Hopefully with the anime industry continuing to grow more popular, maybe one day anime creators will get paid what they deserve and be more motivated.
Aug 13, 2017 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
le_halfhand_easy said:
1.) Being just an ad for the source material.

2.) I'd rather they adapt already completed stories, rather than be tethered to an unfinished one.

3.) Or rather make an anime original. But its risky.

4.) Risk aversion. Understandable, but frustrating.

agree 100% seems like alot of people here are the same not liking the shows ending without resolutoin. ... so many good shows out there without proper ending its just silly

i have often thought just like u it would be better to do more already finished works, such as they did parasyte (just an example i havent watched it) or FMA Brotherhood style remakes of animes following manga all the way to the end...

Aug 13, 2017 5:53 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
The most problematic thing to me is that they're more boring than ever before. I need more quality and entertainment in my anime tbh.
Aug 13, 2017 6:06 AM
Jun 2016
lack of sad endings.
too much bro con and sis con
too much echi
decent storyboard
Aug 13, 2017 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
This thread (and any other thread like this in a nuttshell)
- why can't they make more stuff I like and less stuff I do not like, I mean I am the center of thee world.
- Too much [insert thing that is actually really uncommon]
- New anime is shit, btw I only saw 4 pre-2000 anime.

Jimmykudo3000 said:
The most problematic thing about "modern/new" anime is that that technology has advanced so far in terms of lighting, animation quality and technique, etc that its rendered all the old "classics" obsolete like a DeLorean.
I have to disagree, I think that the constant flashy stuff can be annoying.

There are advantages to modern animation for sure, heck blood looks so much better now then what I saw in some older anime where it had this bland color. But on the other hand I cannot even imagine cardcaptor sakura for example being made with modern tools, it would look too clean and lose a bit of its charm.

Tho if the tools were to be used correctly, I think action looks a lot better now than it would in the past.
removed-userAug 13, 2017 6:18 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 9 hours ago

38 by DarkShame2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

69 by Kenzolo-folk »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 23 minutes ago

4 by TheMangaManiac »»
3 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

39 by Horizon248 »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

174 by Acctra »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.