Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 12, 2017 7:31 AM

May 2016
Quality does not correlate to popularity, positively or negatively.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 12, 2017 7:34 AM

Sep 2016
Good and bad is subjective. not everyone likes popular shows. honestly if you quizzed the entire world, popular shows would seem hated because majority of the world doesn't watch or care about anime.

that being said I think popular shows ARE good. There's definitely a REASON as to why so many people want to watch it, and so many think it's good. maybe that reason doesn't spark with some people, but it certainly does something different to garner a huge audience.

Critics and Fans need to study subjectivity. Every online argument about anime stems from ignorance and the separation of Fact / Opinion.
I don't care.
Aug 12, 2017 7:35 AM

Jun 2014
Nope
Best example code geass
Now its got a sequel
Aug 12, 2017 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
Nope
Example is Fairy Tail
A very popular anime that quickly being compare with Big 3 and form the infamous " Big 4 "
Althought rank high on popularity it get a very low ranking in MAL ranking for good reason.
Aug 12, 2017 9:30 AM

Feb 2016
YES, it does

perfect example: 'sword art online'
Aug 12, 2017 3:42 PM

May 2017
well its logically if something is popular and liked by many people that thats good, or it wouldnt be popular xD but thats not always the case, sometimes some popular things are nothing special and good ones arent popular :/
LICK_IT_GOODAug 12, 2017 3:46 PM
Aug 12, 2017 3:42 PM
Jul 2016
No, ya big dummy. Popular means popular, good means good. Whatever definition of "good" you'll use, you'll always exclude a LOT from the most popular.
Aug 12, 2017 4:42 PM

Aug 2016
Public service announcement:

Good is objective.

What we think is good is subjective.

Know the difference.

Examples: Being shot or stabbed is objectively not good. Avoiding carcinogens is objectively good.

Just because you think Sword Art Online is good or bad, and just because your opinion is subjective, does not mean that the actual, objective merits (or lack thereof) of Sword Art Online do or do not exist, or whether your assessment is true or false. The objective quality of Sword Art Online exists, regardless of any human being's incapacity to perceive it objectively.
Aug 12, 2017 5:37 PM

May 2016
Fvlminatvs said:
Just because you think Sword Art Online is good or bad, and just because your opinion is subjective, does not mean that the actual, objective merits (or lack thereof) of Sword Art Online do or do not exist, or whether your assessment is true or false. The objective quality of Sword Art Online exists, regardless of any human being's incapacity to perceive it objectively.

Fortunately, as I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, I can shed some light onto these tricky matters.

*clears throat*

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 12, 2017 5:45 PM

Aug 2016
Zelkiiro said:
Fortunately, as I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, I can shed some light onto these tricky matters.

*clears throat*

My subjective opinion is that you are correct. But that's, like, just my opinion, man.
Aug 12, 2017 6:18 PM

Feb 2015
Aug 12, 2017 6:23 PM

Jul 2017
Ofc this turned into a SAO hate thread.
lazypigzAug 12, 2017 6:34 PM

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Aug 12, 2017 6:37 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Fvlminatvs said:
Public service announcement:

Good is objective.

What we think is good is subjective.

Know the difference.

Examples: Being shot or stabbed is objectively not good. Avoiding carcinogens is objectively good.

It doesn't really seem to be within the realm of reason to me to assert something that we are incapable of ever perceiving as being something that exists, though ._.

From the way I'm reading this, it comes across as if it's just faith being placed in a higher, unachievable entity existing rather than the concrete fact that it exists, yet at the same time it's being asserted that it does exist even though there's little in the way of substantiating such a claim. It sounds like adhering to chasing an entity that will never be reached, basically, so why should I acknowledge something I nor anybody else will be able to achieve as being something that even exists in the first place?

What is there to substantiate the idea that it actually does exist?
ManabanAug 12, 2017 6:40 PM

Aug 12, 2017 6:59 PM

Aug 2016
Manaban said:

It doesn't really seem to be within the realm of reason to me to assert something that we are incapable of ever perceiving as being something that exists ._. From the way I'm reading this, it comes across as if it's just faith being placed in a higher, unachievable entity existing rather than the concrete fact that it exists.

Well, there is objective fact. That's the thing.

A quick point, though, first. The objectivity or subjectivity of a statement is determined by the structure and nature of the statement and not the truth or falsehood of the statement. For example, to say "SAO is bad" is to make a subjective statement, but to say "The sky is green" is to make an objective one. Despite the second one being demonstrably false, it is still categorically objective.

Why do I bring that up? Well, certain statements are assumed to be epistemologically subjective in which a qualitative assessment is being made that is not necessarily demonstrable. An interesting question might be to ask if the statement, "Objectivity doesn't exist" an objective or subjective statement?

Regardless, some of an anime's attributes can be objectively measured, like run-time, cell count, etc. Some can't, such as personal satisfaction, which varies due to individual taste. I've argued elsewhere, though, that thousands of years of study has built up a library of techniques, metrics, rubrics, and criteria that can be used to try to lessen one's subjectivity.

If you can lessen subjectivity, it indicates that this is not a zero-sum equation and that subjectivity and objectivity both inhabit positions on a spectrum.

That and I am tired of the kindergarten-level rhetoric being bandied about by people with maybe a semester of basic college writing under their belts, saying "objectivity doesn't exist" as a conversation stopper and instant-win-button debate tactic. That it is usually accompanied by a smug arrogance despite having barely any actual literary or philosophical background speaks volumes about the intellectual honesty of those who apply this overused canard.

This entire business is virtually a non-debate in academic circles. When I mention this to my lit prof colleagues they are absolutely perplexed because this is such a non-issue to anyone with a shred of real, actual education.

It sounds like adhering to chasing an entity that will never be reached, basically, and I'm simply not the type of person with an interest in treating things that cannot be perceived as a reality.

Objectivity exists. You perceive it all of the time. Whether or not you can ascertain the objective qualities of an anime doesn't mean you cannot ascertain the objective goodness achieved by not smoking a cigarette or eating your vegetables instead of junk food. (I should hope you can at least do the second).
Aug 12, 2017 7:03 PM

Oct 2016
i mean.. Gintama is a well-known Anime and imo its one of the best anime ever made..

and then there's SAO.
Aug 13, 2017 1:37 AM
Feb 2009
Cjakarin said:
i mean.. Gintama is a well-known Anime and imo its one of the best anime ever made..

and then there's SAO.

First is subjective because I don't agree
second is objective because I agree
Aug 13, 2017 8:54 AM

May 2015
Fvlminatvs said:
Manaban said:

It doesn't really seem to be within the realm of reason to me to assert something that we are incapable of ever perceiving as being something that exists ._. From the way I'm reading this, it comes across as if it's just faith being placed in a higher, unachievable entity existing rather than the concrete fact that it exists.

Well, there is objective fact. That's the thing.

A quick point, though, first. The objectivity or subjectivity of a statement is determined by the structure and nature of the statement and not the truth or falsehood of the statement. For example, to say "SAO is bad" is to make a subjective statement, but to say "The sky is green" is to make an objective one. Despite the second one being demonstrably false, it is still categorically objective.

Why do I bring that up? Well, certain statements are assumed to be epistemologically subjective in which a qualitative assessment is being made that is not necessarily demonstrable. An interesting question might be to ask if the statement, "Objectivity doesn't exist" an objective or subjective statement?

Regardless, some of an anime's attributes can be objectively measured, like run-time, cell count, etc. Some can't, such as personal satisfaction, which varies due to individual taste. I've argued elsewhere, though, that thousands of years of study has built up a library of techniques, metrics, rubrics, and criteria that can be used to try to lessen one's subjectivity.

If you can lessen subjectivity, it indicates that this is not a zero-sum equation and that subjectivity and objectivity both inhabit positions on a spectrum.

That and I am tired of the kindergarten-level rhetoric being bandied about by people with maybe a semester of basic college writing under their belts, saying "objectivity doesn't exist" as a conversation stopper and instant-win-button debate tactic. That it is usually accompanied by a smug arrogance despite having barely any actual literary or philosophical background speaks volumes about the intellectual honesty of those who apply this overused canard.

This entire business is virtually a non-debate in academic circles. When I mention this to my lit prof colleagues they are absolutely perplexed because this is such a non-issue to anyone with a shred of real, actual education.

It sounds like adhering to chasing an entity that will never be reached, basically, and I'm simply not the type of person with an interest in treating things that cannot be perceived as a reality.

Objectivity exists. You perceive it all of the time. Whether or not you can ascertain the objective qualities of an anime doesn't mean you cannot ascertain the objective goodness achieved by not smoking a cigarette or eating your vegetables instead of junk food. (I should hope you can at least do the second).

These many techniques of analysis don't help us reach objectivity because value judgments cannot be objective. They're the result of subject-object interaction, not a mode of the object. These techniques, instead, help us better understand why we like what we do and how we react to it.

I don't expect an objective fact from a review of a work, but I expect greater understanding from it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 13, 2017 11:20 AM

Aug 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
These many techniques of analysis don't help us reach objectivity because value judgments cannot be objective. They're the result of subject-object interaction, not a mode of the object. These techniques, instead, help us better understand why we like what we do and how we react to it.

I don't expect an objective fact from a review of a work, but I expect greater understanding from it.

Brain, at the risk of sounding like Yudina, you do not know what you are talking about. This statement you made is false. There are techniques that allow us to assess quality and can reduce personal bias. I use some of them whenever I grade papers--i.e. I have direct, personal experience using them.

In addition, you do what you have a regular habit of doing--picking one single piece of an argument and then countering it alone as though that refutes my entire position.

I've discussed this elsewhere. I don't feel like reiterating myself ad infinitum about an pointless argument. The fact is, I personally know lit profs who think this entire debate makes zero sense and achieves nothing.

You and everyone else hangs on to this zero-sum, binary subjectivity-objectivity dichotomy for reasons I can only guess at. It is not constructive. As I said elsewhere, it is wielded as a conversation-stopper and automatic-win-button, which is intellectually dishonest.
Aug 13, 2017 11:24 AM

Oct 2014
Slavery was popular in the 1600's and that wasn't too pleasant
Aug 13, 2017 11:44 AM

Oct 2015
Popularity doesn't me much to me. It is true there are very good popular animes. My last recent example is Death Note. It just happened to be broadcasted on free-tv and I just started to watch it out of curiosity. I'm halfway through and it is great.
But as you can see on my list there are animes with 4-digit popularities which I rated with 9/10 like Ookamikakushi.
Aug 13, 2017 12:11 PM
Aug 2013
Only if it's one piece or jojo's bizarre adventure
~AnimeDownUnder~

Aug 14, 2017 9:22 AM
Feb 2009
AnimeDownUnder said:
Only if it's one piece or jojo's bizarre adventure

3 posts up.
One piece is nowhere near good.
Aug 14, 2017 2:58 PM

Apr 2014
Unless the entire mass population is wrong then no
Aug 16, 2017 9:59 AM

May 2015
Fvlminatvs said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Brain, at the risk of sounding like Yudina, you do not know what you are talking about. This statement you made is false. There are techniques that allow us to assess quality and can reduce personal bias. I use some of them whenever I grade papers--i.e. I have direct, personal experience using them.

In addition, you do what you have a regular habit of doing--picking one single piece of an argument and then countering it alone as though that refutes my entire position.

I've discussed this elsewhere. I don't feel like reiterating myself ad infinitum about an pointless argument. The fact is, I personally know lit profs who think this entire debate makes zero sense and achieves nothing.

You and everyone else hangs on to this zero-sum, binary subjectivity-objectivity dichotomy for reasons I can only guess at. It is not constructive. As I said elsewhere, it is wielded as a conversation-stopper and automatic-win-button, which is intellectually dishonest.

You're right. I don't know anything. But I don't think swallowing the Kool-Aid of "Objectivity, because I alone determine values and you shall follow because I said that word' is a path to knowledge. It is only the path to submission.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 9 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
25 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

92 by JaniSIr »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

49 by fae »»
26 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.