Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2017 2:19 PM

Sep 2015
My stance is that although popular anime are often good that's not always the case and ratings and popularity tend to differ drastically. Also If you look at the top anime page by rating on MAL then pick Gintama° which is #3 at the time of posting on its page you'll see it's rated at #415 by popularity although that's still relatively high its a huge difference. Next let's look at the unholy quartet of anime, naruto, bleach, 1piece, and dbz. I will refrain from stating my opinion on them as that is unrelated to the topic, regardless of your opinion on them you have to admit they are pretty hit or miss. So what are you thoughts? Feel free to agree or disagreed. I know this is the internet and we all love to be verbose at times but do try to keep it civil. Most of all have fun.
TL:DR - No
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 9, 2017 2:24 PM

Jul 2015
Nah, because good is subjective, and it depends if you think it's good or not, not when a Certain population thinks
Sup...
Aug 9, 2017 2:27 PM

Apr 2015
Nope.

Three words: Sword Art Online.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 9, 2017 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
no , it just appeal to larger audience
Aug 9, 2017 2:32 PM

Dec 2015
Popularity rankings on this website doesn't mean a lot, because of the surveyed population. In reality, (almost) never-ending series like Doraemon, Sazae-chan, another little girl I forgot, Anpaman, Dr.Slump, a good chunk of other long series (probably even the 79 Gundam or its movies) and those animation fests made for theaters in the 80s (included early Miyazaki/Takahata works).
So, it probably doesn't mean good either.

Sep 2015
CatSoul said:
Nope.

You said it not me. In all seriousness i refrained from mentioning that one as the lovers and haters both tend to be a tad ... verbose.
Jul 2018
Well usually if something is popular it is generally liked , or a lot of people have seen it. So if you're asking if popular always means good , then it does most of the time.In my opinion , most popular anime are good. It depends on what your taste is or what anime you want to watch. Things are only popular if they are liked by people , which is advertised by people who like them and are praised by people who like them. Shows that aren't good will therefore have a bad rating , and will not be as popular , as people much prefer a show with a higher rating. Keep in mind that the most popular anime will be one of the first ones new anime fans see , and they might not have seen cooler ideas and shows that more dedicated anime fans have , meaning they'll give it a good rating (potentially higher than it should be) , making it more popular. Now I have talked about this for far too long , so

TL;DR Usually popular does mean good , but an anime that is slightly lower in popularity is usually better in terms of story or depth.

Jul 2014
Popular can sometimes lead to disappointment... :/
Aug 9, 2017 2:35 PM

Aug 2017
Popular != good, just look at FLCL :p

(oh lord im gonna get it now...)
Aug 9, 2017 2:35 PM

May 2015
No it doesn't.

Two words: Steins;Gate.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2017 2:37 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Completely, it's the only thing that matters

There is absolutely no better indicator of how much I'll like something than how many people know about it

Anything with 150k+ members = immediate 10/10 from me

Aug 9, 2017 2:40 PM

Apr 2017
No . Best example : SAO

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Aug 9, 2017 2:41 PM

Sep 2015
AnimeAddict117 said:
Popular can sometimes lead to disappointment... :/

Agreed. Popularity often raises peoples expectations. The higher ones expectations, the more chance they have to be disappointed.

Apr 2017
CatSoul said:
Nope.

I love your taste .. you are a precious anime fan

"elles sont bien noires

Jan 2014
Yang_Siucao said:
CatSoul said:
Nope.

You said it not me. In all seriousness i refrained from mentioning that one as the lovers and haters both tend to be a tad ... verbose.

Or more likely that the thread turns into SAO fans vs haters thread.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Aug 9, 2017 2:42 PM

Aug 2017
No. Look what happened with Sword Art Online. Started popular and good, then forced a new game, then a second season. Therefore stayed popular, but not good.
Aug 9, 2017 2:43 PM

Sep 2015
AstZero said:
Yang_Siucao said:

That is exactly what I was worried about.
Aug 9, 2017 2:45 PM

Apr 2017
AstZero said:
Yang_Siucao said:

We should not lie to ourselves .. SAO receives so much hate especially when it comes to this thread .. everyone will release his hate for sao on this post (im one of them :p )

"elles sont bien noires

Aug 9, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2017
Popularity = objective.

Good = subjective.
Aug 9, 2017 2:53 PM
Aug 2014
As said many times before me, popularity certainly does not equate to greatness.
Aug 9, 2017 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
Everyone knows that everything popular is objectively good.

I mean, come on, it makes perfect sense right?
Aug 9, 2017 2:58 PM

Feb 2016
Nop, it means that appeals for a lot of people. Not that MAL really represents how popular a show is, cause it's a western website, but the top 20 most popular anime are full of crap

zal said:

Two words: Steins;Gate.

^^ basically this
Aug 9, 2017 3:03 PM

Aug 2017
Popularity means broad appeal, nothing more.
You can still appeal to a wide audience while maintaining quality but I often find that the best works of any medium, not just anime, are far more divisive and controversial.
ShotmakerAug 9, 2017 3:08 PM
Aug 9, 2017 3:06 PM

Jul 2016
No cause a lot of shows get popular for the meme potential.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2017 3:07 PM

Apr 2016
The word "popular" itself is a trap. Don't trust it until you actually watch the anime. It all depends on your tastes. "Popular" just means that it is known by many people, not necessarily liked or "good", like you said. If you asked people to give you an anime that is "good", then people will have different answers, although there could obviously be overlaps.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Aug 9, 2017 3:07 PM

Jul 2017
No, it's flawed in the sense that a show with few people watching it could be rated so highly based on that demographic. It's not exactly proportionate to a more well-known series with the same score. Also, I'm sure there are millions of anime fans outside of Japan, yet the most popular show on MAL barely cracks a million; not even including the fact that only a fraction of that million actually scored the show.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Aug 9, 2017 3:09 PM

Feb 2010
Popularity is more related to what type of show it is, aka the mainstream appeal. Popularity is based on how many people want to check out a series in the first place, how good something is can only be determined after people already watched it so what makes something popular and what makes something good aren't the same thing, or at least they don't have to be.

Of course in the long-term something being critically acclaimed can make more people willing to check something out. But being popular makes even more people want to check something out just to be part of the discussion so shows that have mainstream appeal and popularity from the start will always be ahead compared to shows with niche appeal that gather some momentum after they aired because of their critical acclaim.

Quality cannot be a substitute for mass appeal, at least not when it comes to competing in terms of popularity. If only a part of the audience is interested in your premise from the start, no matter how much they love what you're doing, it won't make too many people outside that target audience change their mind.

On the other hand shows with mass appeal have a harder time getting really high ratings because while niche shows 'only' have to please their target audience to get a high rating, mainstream shows need to please everyone to achieve the same, which is hardly possible. It's just more manageable to make something that is good from a certain perspective than something that is good from every perspective. Quality is always perceived quality after all, and how people perceive something is based on their expectations and preferences. It can be generalized to some degree when it comes to people who share a similar pool of values, but it can never be generalized for a whole community.

The most obvious example is it being basically impossible to please both people who need fanservice in every show to not get bored, and people who want a well written plot and see fanservice as getting in the way of that. If you go 50/50 on appealing to those crowds more people might want to check it out, but most likely more people will also have complaints about to much / not enough fanservice. It is very rare for shows to manage to satisfy a wide variety of fans with opposing preferences like this. Of course in reality preferences are more complex than that but this simplified example was just there to illustrate the point.

But well, that is all pretty much common sense. Not sure what OP expect from this topic aside from that tho.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 9, 2017 3:51 PM

Jul 2012
According to the mere-exposure effect basically yes. The more people see something the likelihood that they will develop a preference to it increases.

Also taking a later season of Gintama for a popularity measure is generally flawed. Granted the first season landing at 88 in popularity isn't particularly amazing compared to the fourth season landing at 415 it's a pretty significant drop. Not to mention the basic sequel effect.
Basically if One Piece, Dragonball, Bleach, and Naruto divided themselves into a bunch of separate seasons they would rank extremely high as well while their popularity would decrease. Case in point if you look at Naruto the first section ranked at 788 while Shippuden ranked at 383 and between the 2 entries it lost 167,000 members dropping its popularity by 18 slots. (Granted Dragonball does break the trend but it had a really strange international distribution method so DBZ ended up being the entry point for most people.)
GamerDLMAug 9, 2017 4:03 PM
Aug 9, 2017 4:20 PM

Nov 2016
Nah. You can sometimes come across anime that aren't popular, but are definitely good (like Texhnolyze or Zegapain). Popular simply means it is well-liked by the majority. Of course, there can be anime that are popular AND good (FMA, Hunter x Hunter, etc.), as well as popular AND not good (Future Diary, SAO, Re:Zero, etc.).
Aug 9, 2017 4:38 PM

Jun 2017
Thankfully, we have ratings to tell us whether a popular anime is good or not. Generally, if they have a rating above 8.4 they're really good, and most above 8 are pretty good as well. Ratings matter a lot more for popular anime, as they can't benefit from the "niche" effect (i.e. catering to a small audience that will like it, but might not appeal to others). They also need broad appeal to maintain high ratings.
Aug 9, 2017 5:03 PM
Jun 2017
popular doesn't necessary mean good
but i do think popular series have something to them that made them popular
Aug 9, 2017 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
Well, it definitely means they are good at getting attention and interest of people to become popular... or maybe it is the marketing that is good... but the popularity of a show does not make it good, hell, some things can be popular specifically because a lot of people consider them bad.
Aug 9, 2017 5:09 PM

Jun 2008
I'll answer your question with the following:

>Twilight is popular

>Justin Beiber is popular

>Trump is popular

>SAO is popular

Catch my drift?
Aug 9, 2017 5:47 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Obviously not but it's interesting to see as to why certain series rose to popular status. And when it comes to anime the popular draw usually pertains to a general appeal to what lots of people like.
Aug 9, 2017 5:53 PM

Apr 2017
>Popular
>Good

Another Every convo by a petty Casuals...
-HippySnob-Aug 9, 2017 5:57 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 9, 2017 6:22 PM

Nov 2015
HELL NAW!!!
3 words: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 9, 2017 6:32 PM
Jun 2017
Uhhhh, this should be obvious but, no.

Dabbing was popular. Does that mean it was good?

Pineapple on pizza is popular. Is it good?

Good is YOUR opinion.
Aug 9, 2017 6:47 PM
Feb 2016
Depends on your stance of what is considered good. Everyone differs there.

Popular shows are popular because they appeal to a wider audience, they're the most accessible. But being overly accessible could imply that the show lacks substance and/or originality, therefore could be seen as bad by a group of people, if they prefer being unique over being accessible. Meanwhile some shows can balance both sides well, appealing to a wider audience (financial reason) while still having unique ideas or presentation that elevates it above your average anime you'll forget 2 weeks after finishing. Just you gotta find that golden mean.
Aug 9, 2017 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
Popularity doesn't guarantee I'll like it, so no. Popular =/= Good
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 9, 2017 8:51 PM

Mar 2015
zodd0 said:
Popularity = objective.

Good = subjective.

exactly my thogh thank you...

RnDNEET021 said:
>Popular
>Good

Another Every convo by a petty Casuals...

yes,agreed... just because asano inio popular, doesn't mean he is a good mangaka...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 9, 2017 9:15 PM

Aug 2008
No,good is subjective as different people has different standard/criteria. Popularity means the general consensus or the majority people think it's good but it doesn't mean you yourself think it's good.

Popularity however is the only way or the closest to find quality of anime objectively(if such thing exist) with your own bias being removed, since it represent evaluation and criteria/standard by general consensus rather than your own criteria/standard.

Popularity(consensus) = objective
ZapredonAug 10, 2017 8:23 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 9, 2017 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
Popular doesn't mean good that's really known at the end of the day.

But same can be applied to underrated, just because something means underrated, its most likely good.

All depends within context and content of the series itself.

Both ends will have their good and bad stuff in both sides of the spectrum.
Aug 9, 2017 10:11 PM

Feb 2015
Oh god I can hear the heavy-out-of-shape breathing and fast typing... A war is upon us...
Aug 9, 2017 10:23 PM

Jun 2016
Quantity (popularity) ≠ Quality

Look at Sword Arts Online, *cough* *cough*Steins;Gate, *cough* *cough* Kimi no Na Wa, *cough* *cough* Naruto. Lol.

*waits for the fans of the anime I mentioned*

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 9, 2017 10:43 PM

Jul 2015
If that was true then most of the best series would be shounen, so yeah, nope.
Aug 10, 2017 12:58 AM

Dec 2015
I agree, Sword Art Online is the best anime ever made.
Aug 10, 2017 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
Nah. Like alot of people here have said, good is subjective. The popular animes just appeal to more people. Some of the less mainstream stuff, such as ZKC, Black Bullet, and Guilty Crown are all pretty good animes, in my honest opinion. :P
Aug 10, 2017 2:37 AM

May 2017
Maybe yes, maybe no. It really depends.

But I always give it a shot if the plot is interesting. I decide from there.

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

Aug 10, 2017 2:38 AM

Jun 2017
It has it's up's and down's, a two-edged sword, a blessing and a curse.
Aug 10, 2017 3:06 AM

Aug 2015
No, it doesnt. It just means a lot of people who dont watch a lot of anime like it
(It can be good, even a masterpiece, but popular=good)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

18 by AxiaG »»
29 seconds ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

15 by AxiaG »»
1 minute ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

36 by AxiaG »»
3 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.