Forum Settings
Forums

The "GAP", do you find it cute, or annoying, or exciting, or .........

New
Aug 7, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2015
you know, something like the surface didn't same than what is inside. like an idol who secretly otaku/pervert or cheerful people who actually deep down depressied/evil or something like that.

things like this is really often found in anime... it can be on romance (like sharing secret), even action thriller (like good guy actually a secret enemy), or even hillarity comedy ensue...

so, whats your opinion on something like this? of course it's bow down on excecution, but how is your opinion on trope it self since it was soo often in anime?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 7, 2017 10:39 PM

Apr 2016
I like it when they do that because I can relate to some of the characters. I am also one of those people who has a secret side or has secret hobbies and such. So I'm okay with it.
Aug 7, 2017 10:56 PM

Dec 2007
It works so well in anime.

At morning, you're a japanese student. But you're also secretely

It makes you feel like you can break out of monotony by watching your favorite character lead a cool fictional life.
Aug 7, 2017 10:58 PM

Feb 2015
Yes, I like it that anime characters have something human to them too.
Aug 8, 2017 12:04 AM
Jun 2013
As long as the character can still be represented as s/he was before the discovery, I will probably enjoy the new possibilities that character has. The exception to this is when the new personality/impression becomes the dominant one, as it means my understanding of the character might not just have to be rewritten, but probably erased.
Anime exists
all is well
Aug 8, 2017 6:14 AM

Mar 2015
DeadIEnd said:

It makes you feel like you can break out of monotony by watching your favorite character lead a cool fictional life.
Felix said:

isn't it kinda funny sometimes it what most human thing can relate, yet at the same time most inhuman things can idealized...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 8, 2017 8:17 AM

Apr 2015
DeadIEnd said:

That was actually the reason I enjoyed Code Geass. Well, one of many reasons.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Aug 8, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2017
Yeah it all depends on the execution. Take the most well known example, Himouto! Umaru-chan. At first I didn't like Umaru cause I found her incredibly annoying, but after a while I eventually got used to her alter personality and saw her as a loving little sister instead of a nuisance. It all just depends on how the show portrays this new character personality to us
Aug 8, 2017 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Felix said:

^ this.
I really love when characters have different sides to them.
Aug 8, 2017 3:10 PM

Apr 2015
I usually like characters with a hidden depth to them.

Not gonna lie, I thought this thread was going to be about thigh gaps.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 8, 2017 3:22 PM

Feb 2017
I normally like characters like that because I feel like it makes them more relatable and it usually makes them more interesting.

Aug 8, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
well it seems english isn't your first language

anyway, I find the GAP to be a subpar retailer
Aug 8, 2017 3:37 PM

May 2017
DeadIEnd said:

LOL this anime is dope, characters all hidding behind a mask
Hunter x Hunter best anime and Killua Zoldyck best boy <3 Addicted to cute shotas and teens with special powers in fantasy manga and manhua
Aug 8, 2017 7:58 PM

Mar 2015
EnZanity said:
Yeah it all depends on the execution. Take the most well known example, Himouto! Umaru-chan. At first I didn't like Umaru cause I found her incredibly annoying, but after a while I eventually got used to her alter personality and saw her as a loving little sister instead of a nuisance. It all just depends on how the show portrays this new character personality to us

funny when you mention about himouto since the further the series, she becoe redeeming herself and become more opened about her hobbies...

CatSoul said:
Not gonna lie, I thought this thread was going to be about thigh gaps.

you can make it[one

Nicholaevich said:
well it seems english isn't your first language

sorry for my bad english...
Aug 8, 2017 8:34 PM

Aug 2017
I would say I like my characters to be human as possible while retaining the fact of fiction. Like lets say for example the duality of this character here.

Her left half is a timid girl who would jump at their own shadow, a plethora of phobia's and years of childhood trauma. On the right is a psychopath that kills cute boys, straight forward, and highly energetic. Now as you can see from the picture, they look exactly the same.

That is because they are. See she suffers from a multiple personality disorder, when one looses consciousness or sneezes they essentially switch consciousnesses. They only share common knowledge and feelings. They don't remember anything their counterpart experienced.

Her left side personality is a girl who has gone through many horrible experiences which conditioned her to be scared of everything. Her imagination is her greatest asset because she has direct control. Constant use of her vivid imagination developed her knack for story telling and became a writer. Expressing all of those bottled emotions and which created a very lucrative career for her. She hides in her house all day and writes and lives off the book royalties.

What spawned her alternate personality was the fact she kept repressing all of her negative emotions until at some point she snapped. Which created the killer side personality. There is a trope that was spawned from several real life examples of past killers. Where killers would keep some kind of trophy or keep sake. Her trophy was carving a tally mark into her thigh keeping track of how many people she killed.

So in summary. This is what I would consider making a character feel and sound real and retain the fiction aspect. Writing a human being that has some horrible backstory and developed a lot of flaws because of her history. That can switch to a character that basically resembles a batman villain.
Aug 8, 2017 9:13 PM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
EnZanity said:

funny when you mention about himouto since the further the series, she becoe redeeming herself and become more opened about her hobbies...

Yeah I noticed that as well in the anime, would be interesting to see where it goes in the second season

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

27 by joseifan »»
54 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

207 by JessicaKari »»
5 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

95 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.