Forum Settings
Forums
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2017 7:38 PM
May 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Aug 6, 2017 8:25 PM
May 2017
OK, what can be said about this one. First, the book is mostly about Darkness (a first since Book 7). Megumin ironically fades out short after she's declared the winner of the relationship contest. Which we knew was the most likely result the way the books are being written anyway - the only other serious contender is a troll ending.

The author's skills at writing relationships is improving and it is the first "romance" segment I actually took time to read through.

The decision to really make Iris a Little Miss Perfect is also finally placed into a systematic context - to act as a plot device to push Megumin's anxieties, jealousies and insecurities through the roof. OK ... whether it is pre-hoc or post-hoc, it's nice to see that there is a plan. IMO it really isn't the best execution of such a plan, but at least I didn't react to the realization that there was a plan by thinking "Author, if this is what's offered, I'll prefer no plan at all."

Still, I must feel a bit sorry for Iris. She started out, in the web novel, apparently as a 3 chapter plot device object. Her role is expanded (probably from commercial pressure) in the light novel, but despite the rather substantial word-count allocated to her (as well as a norm-breaking amount of combat capability), and the fact she has two books where she's almost displaces every other female character, she somehow never really graduates from being an object to being a subject. And at the end here, in Book 12, she's again a plot device this time for Megumin - in fact, even the combat capability now seems more to this end then a real "gift" for her.

Well, Iris' far from the book's main point anyway, and neither is Megumin. The book soon almost completely devotes itself to Darkness and her attempt to actually tax the adventurers. The book's "climax plot" is particularly conventional - in essence it is about saving Darkness' cousin, who is of course frail and fell sick. As usual with the traditions of the good books of this series, this bland plotline is well executed with unexpected and funny twists which nevertheless made sense in the context of this world.

An excellent book. The OVA is frankly a bit standard fare, but the book is excellent. I suggest people buy it with real money if they can read Japanese.
Aug 7, 2017 5:47 AM

Feb 2017
arkhangelsk2017 said:
OK, what can be said about this one. First, the book is mostly about Darkness (a first since Book 7). Megumin ironically fades out short after she's declared the winner of the relationship contest. Which we knew was the most likely result the way the books are being written anyway - the only other serious contender is a troll ending.

The author's skills at writing relationships is improving and it is the first "romance" segment I actually took time to read through.

The decision to really make Iris a Little Miss Perfect is also finally placed into a systematic context - to act as a plot device to push Megumin's anxieties, jealousies and insecurities through the roof. OK ... whether it is pre-hoc or post-hoc, it's nice to see that there is a plan. IMO it really isn't the best execution of such a plan, but at least I didn't react to the realization that there was a plan by thinking "Author, if this is what's offered, I'll prefer no plan at all."

Still, I must feel a bit sorry for Iris. She started out, in the web novel, apparently as a 3 chapter plot device object. Her role is expanded (probably from commercial pressure) in the light novel, but despite the rather substantial word-count allocated to her (as well as a norm-breaking amount of combat capability), and the fact she has two books where she's almost displaces every other female character, she somehow never really graduates from being an object to being a subject. And at the end here, in Book 12, she's again a plot device this time for Megumin - in fact, even the combat capability now seems more to this end then a real "gift" for her.

Well, Iris' far from the book's main point anyway, and neither is Megumin. The book soon almost completely devotes itself to Darkness and her attempt to actually tax the adventurers. The book's "climax plot" is particularly conventional - in essence it is about saving Darkness' cousin, who is of course frail and fell sick. As usual with the traditions of the good books of this series, this bland plotline is well executed with unexpected and funny twists which nevertheless made sense in the context of this world.

An excellent book. The OVA is frankly a bit standard fare, but the book is excellent. I suggest people buy it with real money if they can read Japanese.

Wow this is the first time I saw you said something nice about Konosuba. I haven't read vol.12 properly, just some short EL translation without edit, about the relationship between Kazuma, Megumin and Darkness( parts of chapter 1 and 3). I agree with you about this, Darkness became a pretty interesting character in the volume

Before vol.12, I have to say I dislike Darkness the most out of main casts. She is not a bad person, but she's a terrible love interest. There are 3 things I really dislike about Darkness:

1. She is a coward, she love Kazuma but never have guts to confess her feeling
2. She kinda slutty, before vol.12, I always thought she play dirty, seduce Kazuma multiple times, act like: "If I could make Kazuma bang me, I'm auto win"
3. She like Kazuma just because he is a terrible person. It meant that's not real love

All three problems kinda got solved in volume 12, which make Darkness became a alot better person in my eye. Like Kazuma, I'm keen with my Explosion ship, however, I'm not gonna salty if Kazuma choose Darkness in the end of this series
Aug 7, 2017 7:27 AM
May 2017
IrisBestGirl said:
Wow this is the first time I saw you said something nice about Konosuba.

Well, I'm pretty sure I have lots of nice things to say about Konosuba, since I actually buy the LNs and continued even though I bumped into this forum at a time when the author seemed to have lost his touch to varying extents for three books in a row (4 if you count that little 5 page short story in the Illustration Book). That's like 25%, and in a contiguous segment. Something must have motivated me to buy Book 11 nevertheless, which I'm pretty sure I said was where the author got most of his touch back.
Aug 7, 2017 8:12 AM

Feb 2017
arkhangelsk2017 said:
IrisBestGirl said:
Wow this is the first time I saw you said something nice about Konosuba.

Well, I'm pretty sure I have lots of nice things to say about Konosuba, since I actually buy the LNs and continued even though I bumped into this forum at a time when the author seemed to have lost his touch to varying extents for three books in a row (4 if you count that little 5 page short story in the Illustration Book). That's like 25%, and in a contiguous segment. Something must have motivated me to buy Book 11 nevertheless, which I'm pretty sure I said was where the author got most of his touch back.

Yeah I know you like the series, it's just... I saw most of your post is complaints. About volume 8 to 10, I dont think they are that bad, I really like vol 8, vol 9 is OK, vol 10 is not so good, I agree with you about this. One more important thing is vol 5,6,7 is too good, you can consider it the pinnacle of Konosuba, so quality will go down a little bit, but not that much IMO. Plus, since the series got so many success, author must make the story longer, and made up some unimportant events and filler. While this suck, I can not blame him for this
Dec 24, 2017 4:40 AM

Jun 2012
From the beginning, I thought another loli will become the main focus of this volume, but am so glad that Darkness stepped up herself at this point. It's rare for her to be subjected out of lewdness but that one time confession did change my all viewpoint of her, still, it'll not be funny anymore if that perverted instances will be completely taken out from every scene involving her so just that "high impact and short event" is good enough for upcoming executions I believe.
Jan 12, 2019 8:37 PM

Jan 2014
I really like how Kazuma is not wavering at all!

Kazuma rejecting Darkness and not being swayed is really something. It's just when you think of Kazuma you would think he would jump the gun in a heartbeat but he didn't. His loyalty to Megumin is quite commendable.
Recommend me an anime
Mar 3, 2021 4:13 AM

Jul 2017
This was a pretty average volume. The romance elements were the highlights of the volume but even then, it felt a bit too forced and amateurish in general with Darkness and Kazuma here, forming an odd love triangle between the Kazuma, Megumin and Darkness. The adventure itself was pretty boring too except the fact that we got to see Chris and Kazuma have the Chief and Lowly Assistant dynamic again with Darkness experiencing something new from that noble side of hers by hanging out with thieves like that.
Apr 21, 2021 9:24 AM

Jan 2017
I find the Kazuma evading his taxes chapter to be more entertaining than the main plot of this volume

Darkness works well as a comic relief character but as a love interest....??? I get that her character grew but I still don't find her to be suitable for Kazuma

More topics from this board

» After finishing the movie, where should I start?

Argo949 - Apr 20, 2023

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
Apr 21, 9:50 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Volume 17 Discussion

NaughtySempai - Sep 25, 2022

6 by NaughtySempai »»
Apr 19, 3:31 AM

» Luna's cup size

L0101 - May 1, 2021

3 by TitanInsane »»
Jul 23, 2023 8:52 AM

» news on the sequel?

10nzin - May 29, 2023

2 by Polvo_Aranha »»
May 29, 2023 6:34 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Volume 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2016

23 by dadroo »»
Apr 30, 2023 12:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.