Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Macross Δ' Gets Movie Adaptation

New
Aug 5, 2017 8:34 PM
Jul 2018

It has been announced at the Buzz Event Stage of Rock In Japan Festival 2017 in Hitachi Seaside Park, Hitachinaka, Ibaraki, Japan on Sunday that TV anime Macross Δ will receive an anime movie to commemorate the franchise's 35th anniversary. The plot and screening dates for the movie have yet to be determined.

The Macross sci-fi mecha franchise is set after 1999, in an alternate history of earth and humanity. The franchise has spawned four TV anime, six OVA series, six movies, and several light novel and manga adaptations. The latest adaptation, Macross Δ, aired in Spring 2016 as a 26-episode TV anime series by studio Satelight. It was previously announced that there will also be a new TV series in 2018.

Source: animate Times

Macross Δ Movie on MAL
NaruleachJan 15, 2018 4:46 PM
Aug 5, 2017 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
Ohhhh I need to finish the TV series to be honest. It's been entertaining as far as I've seen about it though. Oh well.
Aug 5, 2017 8:38 PM
Dec 2011
Let's hope they will fix of the problems from TV version.
Because well, the problems are pretty big.
Aug 5, 2017 9:57 PM

May 2015
Yay! You can never have too much Macross! More Giri Giri Ai for everyone!

I was wondering why Satelight didn't have any anime for the Fall season. I guess this was why. This is a chance to redeem the TV series. It can be fixed as long as they don't screw it up.

Also, as a simultaneous announcement, the new Macross Rhythm game (Uta Macross Sma-Pho Deculture) was recently released on mobile.
TarotistAug 5, 2017 10:01 PM
Aug 5, 2017 11:29 PM

Sep 2016
Tarotist said:
Yay! You can never have too much Macross! More Giri Giri Ai for everyone!

I was wondering why Satelight didn't have any anime for the Fall season. I guess this was why. This is a chance to redeem the TV series. It can be fixed as long as they don't screw it up.

Also, as a simultaneous announcement, the new Macross Rhythm game (Uta Macross Sma-Pho Deculture) was recently released on mobile.

They have shoji kawamori's the next project for this fall.
Aug 5, 2017 11:33 PM

Mar 2012
I just hope this is a reboot of Macross Delta by fixing a huge amount of problems.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 5, 2017 11:41 PM

Feb 2015
Wew, I wonder how they will fix show's problems.
Aug 6, 2017 12:39 AM

Jan 2013
All aboard the hype express!

Sazanami-Kai said:
I just hope this is a reboot of Macross Delta by fixing a huge amount of problems.
DYRL and the F movies were retellings. It's very much possible that this will be one too. I hope so, anyway, since the 7 movie kinda sucked.
Aug 6, 2017 1:53 AM

Jul 2010
I'm not exactly hyped for this after that god awful second half of Delta so don't really want to get back to that universe anymore but I guess it can't get any worse...

Sazanami-Kai said:

Lmao yeah hopefully.
Aug 6, 2017 2:04 AM

Jan 2013
Tenth said:
I'm not exactly hyped for this after that god awful second half of Delta so don't really want to get back to that universe anymore but I guess it can't get any worse...

Sazanami-Kai said:

Lmao yeah hopefully.
Can someone tell me the "problems" with Delta in contrast to other Macross series? I'm not hazing, I'm genuinely curious as to what people see as an issue (as someone relatively new to the franchise). I see a lot of vague rhetoric but nothing specific.
Aug 6, 2017 3:46 AM

May 2012
What are those huge amount of problems that people talk about ?!

I did not notice any "big problem" when I watched the anime, and it was enjoyable
Aug 6, 2017 6:15 AM

Dec 2015
At first, I feared this was it, the big project promised for the 35th anniversary. Uuf...

@D-arts What is this new creation of Kawamori?
Aug 6, 2017 8:04 AM

Sep 2015
Giant nude network on big screen + HD
Into the Internet!
Aug 6, 2017 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
Not sure how I feel about this tbh. I hope it'll be good and they use some fresh new songs.
Aug 8, 2017 9:41 AM

Sep 2012
I hope they don't butcher the show with this movie like they did with the two frontier movies.
Aug 8, 2017 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
Syrup- said:
All aboard the hype express!

Sazanami-Kai said:
DYRL and the F movies were retellings. It's very much possible that this will be one too. I hope so, anyway, since the 7 movie kinda sucked.

I don't the two frontier movies especially that ending sucked major donkey balls and imo should never had been made.

If I could've given them a negative rating it would've been -1000 for that ending alone.
Aug 8, 2017 11:27 AM

Feb 2012
Wasn't fond of how the series ended (the pacing in the 2nd half was atrocious, so they rushed the end - basically my biggest gripe given that I was watching it when it came out), but I'll watch this because I can't have enough of Best Girl Freyja.
Aug 8, 2017 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
Mirage is still best girl!

still gonna watch this movie
Aug 8, 2017 12:51 PM

Jul 2015
Yes, I too hope they fix all these problems and end world hunger, cure all diseases, bring peace to the Middle East, negate climate change and inhabit Mars.
Signature removed for being too dank. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Aug 8, 2017 2:09 PM

Jan 2013
Chandela said:
Can someone tell me the "problems" with Delta in contrast to other Macross series? I'm not hazing, I'm genuinely curious as to what people see as an issue (as someone relatively new to the franchise). I see a lot of vague rhetoric but nothing specific.

The Macross series has been known for its love triangles and epic struggles against an alien force. In Delta, this triangle was so weak that you could barely call it that, and the enemy was more of an annoyance than a threat.

Mirage, who was pushed to be the third leg of the triangle, was practically pushing Freyja onto Hayate by the midpoint of the show. This, coupled with the legendary family she hails from, made her feel like a very poorly written character. Nobody would blame her, since Freyja definitely had the majority of the screentime. There just wasn't enough room in the show for her. The group that actually rooted for Mirage was obviously very upset at how improperly handled her character was, compared to Sheryl or Misa, for example.

Note: The cute freshblood idol has never been shown to win a love triangle in Macross before this entry. This was yet another reason for people to root for Mirage.

The other part people tend to complain about is how boring the enemy was. Their motives were very weak, and the reveal of the incident that inspired their rebellion was met with a lot of disappointment. Every clash with Windemere felt the same. Bogue starts screaming about foreigners, and Hayate gets super powered by Freyja singing. It felt very trivial compared to the Zentradi army of the first series. Even the Protodeviln in Macross 7 were more interesting.

Probably a side note to mention is that the musical portion of the show had always been centered around one or two very important musical characters. Lynn Minmay, Sharon Apple, Nekki Basara, Sheryl and Ranka, etc. In this, it was five characters. A lot of people, who might be trolls, expressed concern and distaste at where the franchise was headed with a cast like this.

I guess one more thing to mention was how much they cheaped out on the fighting in Delta compared to Frontier. It felt like the battles weren't very well choreographed compared to the previous entries of the series. I doubt most of the people complaining about this would cite 7 as an example of good fighting, but I still prefered it over the fights in Delta.

I dunno. You could say it's just (my) opinion, but this is generally what people are complaining about, more or less.
Aug 8, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2011
Syrup- said:
Chandela said:

The Macross series has been known for its love triangles and epic struggles against an alien force. In Delta, this triangle was so weak that you could barely call it that, and the enemy was more of an annoyance than a threat.

Mirage, who was pushed to be the third leg of the triangle, was practically pushing Freyja onto Hayate by the midpoint of the show. This, coupled with the legendary family she hails from, made her feel like a very poorly written character. Nobody would blame her, since Freyja definitely had the majority of the screentime. There just wasn't enough room in the show for her. The group that actually rooted for Mirage was obviously very upset at how improperly handled her character was, compared to Sheryl or Misa, for example.

Note: The cute freshblood idol has never been shown to win a love triangle in Macross before this entry. This was yet another reason for people to root for Mirage.

The other part people tend to complain about is how boring the enemy was. Their motives were very weak, and the reveal of the incident that inspired their rebellion was met with a lot of disappointment. Every clash with Windemere felt the same. Bogue starts screaming about foreigners, and Hayate gets super powered by Freyja singing. It felt very trivial compared to the Zentradi army of the first series. Even the Protodeviln in Macross 7 were more interesting.

Probably a side note to mention is that the musical portion of the show had always been centered around one or two very important musical characters. Lynn Minmay, Sharon Apple, Nekki Basara, Sheryl and Ranka, etc. In this, it was five characters. A lot of people, who might be trolls, expressed concern and distaste at where the franchise was headed with a cast like this.

I guess one more thing to mention was how much they cheaped out on the fighting in Delta compared to Frontier. It felt like the battles weren't very well choreographed compared to the previous entries of the series. I doubt most of the people complaining about this would cite 7 as an example of good fighting, but I still prefered it over the fights in Delta.

I dunno. You could say it's just (my) opinion, but this is generally what people are complaining about, more or less.

Oh, no. You've covered all of the basics. Delta was a complete disaster imo (especially when compared to literally any other Macross incarnation). I know it's the newest series in a long line, but the fact that the 35th anniversary is gonna be celebrated using that is just so... cringe. :|
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Aug 8, 2017 2:25 PM

Oct 2010
Problem with Delta: Bogue didn't get shot in the face. Please fix.

Still looking for a whole show like the first episode of Delta ;)
Aug 8, 2017 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
@Syrup- That was very insightful, thanks a million.
I've been slamming the Macross series recently and can see the relation from what you are saying to how I'm watching the franchise.

Delta is something I found much more entertaining the second time around, given that the first instance was my only exposure to the Macross universe.
I don't think it's as bad as some of the more vocal people seem to make it, but to each their own, of course.
ChandelaAug 8, 2017 4:20 PM
Aug 8, 2017 5:30 PM

May 2015
Chandela said:
That was very insightful, thanks a million.
I've been slamming the Macross series recently and can see the relation from what you are saying to how I'm watching the franchise.

Delta is something I found much more entertaining the second time around, given that the first instance was my only exposure to the Macross universe.
I don't think it's as bad as some of the more vocal people seem to make it, but to each their own, of course.

I think Delta's biggest issue was its vast number of characters. Compared to the cast of other Macross series, Delta had the most characters. Delta tried to cover them all, and it failed in the long run. And as Syrup said, the villains were weak compared to the other villains in the Macross series. But the biggest offender is Mirage. Being a Jenius (which is a famous name in the Macross series), many Macross fans had high expectations of her. But her character was poorly developed, and she being part of the triangle didn't feel like a triangle at all. Personally, I didn't care if Mirage won or not, but the triangle was so much in favor of Fre-Fre and Haya-Haya that Mirage felt irrelevant to the series.

The other big issue was that Delta was rumored to originally be 13 episodes and a Movie. But they decided to expand it to 26 episodes, possibly to advertise more of Walkure's songs. Because of this, it felt like they were making the anime on the fly, so the direction for the second half was all over the place, and the story progression was really slow.

I will say though that I honestly enjoyed Delta (just a tad bit more than 7), and I am hopeful of the movie adaptation. Delta's problems can still be fixed as long as they don't screw up the movie. I love you Satelight. Make Delta great this time, even if you have to borrow assets from Symphogear to do so!
TarotistOct 6, 2017 5:10 PM

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

16 by JackAward »»
4 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

24 by infanf »»
1 hour ago

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.