Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 7, 2017 11:02 AM

Sep 2015
I really liked this episode. And thought it really made something special out of the previous episode's set up. I thought the professor was a belligerent jerk last time. But I ended up appreciating his position. And rooting for him and Yoshino by the end. I think a major cause in the shift was Yoshino's passion. The last episode kind of ended on a weird cliffhanger. That seemed to imply the old folks had taken Yoshino as a hostage. But with the reveal this was actually her decision. Her passion to help the elderly was really charming.

I also liked how she slowly won each girl over to their cause. Maki coming to make sure she was OK was really sweet. I liked Yoshino with all of the girls. But her interactions with Maki this episode really struck a chord. What made this episode really great though wasn't the as always above average moe. But the brilliant uber-like solution they came up with for the transportation problem. Yet another interesting and realistic solution rooted in the modern world this series has come up with. And the ending which packed a surprising punch.

We hadn't known the professor for very long. And he was a jerk for part of it. But funny little moments like playing shogi in the street. And his arc with Sanae this episode made me pretty fond of him. And though it was sudden and could have felt unearned. Because this was the arc focusing on the elderly. I thought his death at the end got the desired reaction. I guess the plot to find the treasure will be really underway next week.
Aug 8, 2017 3:10 PM

Jul 2015
It went from so many Feelsgoodman moments to a tragic sudden Feelsbadman moment. It played with my kokoro ;n;
Aug 13, 2017 6:54 PM
Jun 2016
This episode just ran me through the whole range of happy, laughing to sad. And yes I did cry. 😢
Sep 1, 2017 5:20 AM

Jun 2016
Yoshino's being held hostage, but she's still having the time of her life with the elders. Haha.

That freaking hentai elder. I s2g. Hahaha! He's our new comic relief.

I'm wheezing at them for blocking the road and Doku's invention as always is glorious. Hahaha. Omfg.

I think I'm in love with the bus driver now. Omfg. No, I'm gonna call him Prince because he's still a prince to me. Kyaaa.

I love the story behind the lantern, I want one now.

I LOVED THE SOLUTION THEY THOUGHT OF. THE MANOYAMA ON-DEMAND BUS.

And just like that with them all being happy, the professor died. Nooooo. ;-; RIP, good sir. ;-;

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 9, 2017 11:07 AM

Jul 2009
Everything worked out in the end, but professor is gone now...
Sep 30, 2017 1:18 AM

Mar 2016
I really love this episode. What a plot twist, at first I think the professor has bad intentions.

RIP Professor, It was so sudden
Oct 9, 2017 8:03 AM

Oct 2012
Aww that's sad, RIP Professor.. I hope he can get his ice for his drink at the afterlife
"Signature removed"
Nov 2, 2017 9:03 AM

May 2012
Oh shit that ending :o what a great episode but what an ending :| quite a dramatic twist in this series that I totally didn't expect.
Nov 23, 2017 7:23 AM

Apr 2011
Glad it worked out in the end. Sanae and co found a solution to the elders' problems. It was pretty awkward Yoshino getting used as a hostage, and they're even livestreaming it. Did not expect the professor to suddenly die like that. Is it a heart attack that caused it? Not something I want to see since my dad just passed away a month ago. I'm still grieving.
MagitoNov 23, 2017 7:30 AM
Dec 17, 2017 2:29 PM

Nov 2013
Old folks are Yoshino x Sandal shippers.
Dec 28, 2017 2:52 PM

Aug 2012
-yoshino seems to be taking this whole situation in stride
-lmao the "i will pay for it"
-come to think of it this whole situation seems like that one LWA episode
-wait i just remembered that PA works also did uchouten kazoku, so the whole tanuki thing might be an actual reference
-so uh how long has the manju been sitting around for
-i see doku and sandal have been indoctrinated
-wait was that mahjong they were playing in the middle of the road
-the professor did nothing wrong
-all this worldbuilding makes the warabiya village seem like an actual place
-kinda not surprising that the whole technological competency ended up playing a part in the big resolution of this arc
-whoawhoawhoahwhoawhoawhoa whoa what the fuck that was like the last thing i expected to happen
-although i gotta say the way they handled the professor's death was pretty cool with how they made it obvious what happened without explicitly saying it until after the wake

So something this show has done really well that I don't think I've seen in any other shows I watched is the characterization of the setting. Something about the professor's antics, combined with the existing unconventional traditions that were in place, and possibly the fact that the entire Warabiya Village was populated by old-timers just gave a unique personality to the entire place. This made the big resolution of this story arc feel a whole lot grander with the whole bit about teaching the old-timers to be more technologically literate. I also liked how they handled the professor just dying out of nowhere and leaving behind all his research materials. It was somehow just very thematically fitting.
Jan 7, 2018 4:25 AM

Sep 2012
this issues small towns on a verge of dying out & Bus issues in small towns is so familiar cause small towns in my country also have this issues, u can hear it from TV about this issues time to time
Mar 26, 2018 3:36 PM

Sep 2011
I'm glad the old people got what they wanted, but unfortunately I couldn't really care much about the professor :/ I didn't like him at all, nor the way he tricked the girls multiple times. Still, I can understand his intentions for their village was honest, so for that he will be missed.
Oct 12, 2018 3:11 PM

Mar 2016
So did they just replace the normal bus with the on demand bus?

I knew something was going to happen with the professor when they started panning around his room with that music! :( Sad.
Nov 29, 2018 7:50 AM

Aug 2016
*Professor sitting at table writing, blasting his music*

Me: What if the professor suddenly just dies? It's not that kind of anime though so I doubt it.

*10 seconds later he dies*

Me: WTFFFFF!!!
May 18, 2019 5:45 AM

Jan 2011
I knew something was gonna happen as soon as it cut to him alone.

Also implying a European wouldn't know Snow White.
Oct 27, 2019 1:40 AM
May 2016
Raise your glasses of whiskey, ladies and gentlemen.

Rest in peace, Fox...
Dec 17, 2020 11:23 PM

May 2016
RIP Ossan no tanuki.

really heartwarming episode filled with activity and great scenes.
Dec 22, 2020 1:58 AM

Mar 2018
This series up until about ep.12 was a 7 for me as it felt light on substance and hard to connect to but beyond that and to this point, it's really grown on me and the connection to the show feels stronger. This ep culminates those feelings with the sense of upmost respect for the Prof. accomplishments to preserve the roots of his people and his village.

This show took some patience but I now adore the emotions and feeling of connection this show has slowly provided, all while having good comedy to top it off.
Mar 28, 2021 1:35 PM

Feb 2020
That was a bittersweet ending. R.I.P professor. You did a great job.

The whole "hostage" situation was hilarious, especially drunk Maki. xD

Now the old people are happy again. They got what they wanted.

SerafosMar 2, 6:38 AM
May 17, 2022 12:32 PM

Jul 2014
Nice emotional manipulation, trying to force sadness from the viewer by killing a character off literally at random. Unfortunately, as I didn't care about the Professor or the mess that was this arc, I felt absolutely nothing about his abrupt death: to me, it just feels like the show introduced him out of nowhere and then got rid of him by killing him as soon as his role was done. In other words, he felt more like a plot device than an actual character, but for a plot that was honestly pretty bad overall.

We're definitely going downhill again now, big time. Why is this show so frustratingly inconsistent?
Mar 29, 2023 5:26 PM

Aug 2011
I'm here for comrade Koharu lol! This show is a pretty good example of community organizing and the success of that i.e. getting public transportation for parts of the population where driving or walking is super inaccessible.
desu desu binches
Nov 28, 2023 4:04 AM

Oct 2022
Seriously tho, this episode in particular is so good. I really like the political analogy that they use like 'withdrawing from the Kingdom', 'the republic of Warabiya', 'withstanding a siege', despite there's no actual kingdom to begin with. Sanae talking with the prof is kinda like a negotiation between two opposing sides, between the minister of the kingdom and the leader of the republic. It adds more to the 'withdrawal from the Kingdom' aspect of the story. The prof's idea to make the village live on through the internet even if its inhabitants is no more is brilliant. Huge development for Sanae here, glad that she found her reason to stay. Maki showing her dance moves is so good. Glad that Takamizawa and Sanae could work it out for the bus situations, something like a grab is way better tbh.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2017

61 by Rakabat »»
Dec 23, 2023 2:17 AM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2017

181 by toralbabs »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:46 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2017

70 by toralbabs »»
Dec 10, 2023 5:26 AM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2017

47 by toralbabs »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:03 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

54 by toralbabs »»
Dec 4, 2023 7:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.