Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Do you generally laugh when watching Chinese comedy animation?


#1
Aug 1, 2017 5:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Let me start by saying that I am Chinese and that I grew up watching the funniest shows Hong Kong movies and shows for 20 years. The only two I found that are really good and funny are Kung Fu Hustle and From Beijing With Love. Even those two movies, I cannot rate them a 10.

Japanese animes, IMO, are the funniest shows on Earth. Animes are also the only shows I give out a 10 rating.

I watched a few Chinese anime lately and find their comedic value a 1. Is it just me, or are Chinese animation generally not funny at all?

I saw
Dragon Nest
Raksasha Street
King's Avatar

Update:
Dropped QuanZhi Fashi
Modified by GrimorumInvoke, Oct 22, 2017 11:47 AM
 
#2
Aug 1, 2017 5:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 17415
There's a weird stiffness to King's Avatar's animation that kinda annoyed me, aside from the ridiculous amounts of recycled animations.

Though assuming you're talking about comedy and not 'animation', no, I haven't found any funny.
 
#3
Aug 1, 2017 5:25 PM
Oingo Boingo ~

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 28862
Eh, I haven't seen much, so I don't have a clear impression, but I definitely prefer Japanese.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd love to see inside your mind, to tear it all apart;
To cut you open with a knife
And find your sacred heart.
I'd love to take your satin dolls and
Tear them all to shreds.
I'd love to mess your pretty hair;
I'd love to see you dead!
❤️ Mine. ❤️

 
#4
Aug 4, 2017 3:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
YaoiMaster said:
Eh, I haven't seen much, so I don't have a clear impression, but I definitely prefer Japanese.


Initially, I hated the thought of subs. After just three episodes of subs, I am never going back to dub

Nihon Banzai !
Nihon Banzai !
 
#5
Oct 22, 2017 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
I thought I would give Chinese animation another chance. Watched Quan Zhi Fashi.... thought it was bad, but it has a good rating, so it might get better. 6 Episodes later, their attempt at comedy is so bad, I could not go on.
 
#6
Oct 22, 2017 11:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 106
Paul said:
There's a weird stiffness to King's Avatar's animation that kinda annoyed me, aside from the ridiculous amounts of recycled animations.

Though assuming you're talking about comedy and not 'animation', no, I haven't found any funny.


You know, I noticed the recycled animation as well. And I understand that this sounds like the most contrived of excuses but I actually thought that it was brilliant to recycle animation in the context of the show.

Everyone is playing an MMORPG. MMOs are inevitably going to have recycled animation as you use the same set of skills over and over. idk, it made sense to me.
 
#7
Oct 22, 2017 11:31 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 45556
i do not even know if i have seen any chinese animation lol so im neutral
 
#8
Oct 22, 2017 11:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 3014
Dang I feel like a filthy casual when it comes to chinese anime since only king's avatar comes to mind. It was weird but okay.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"


-Swagernator 2017
 
#9
Oct 22, 2017 11:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 14379
I haven't really watched any Chinese comedy anime, but what I've watched haven't been funny, at least not in a good way.

nymi said:
Dang I feel like a filthy casual when it comes to chinese anime since only king's avatar comes to mind. It was weird but okay.
Don't worry, you're not losing out on anything.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
 
Oct 22, 2017 11:41 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 2308
I've yet to see any Chinese cartoons that is even remotely acceptable on any level. All of them look over 10 years dated. Also, Shitcom has better writing than most of them.
 
Oct 22, 2017 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Pyro said:
I've yet to see any Chinese cartoons that is even remotely acceptable on any level. All of them look over 10 years dated. Also, Shitcom has better writing than most of them.


King's Avatar has amazing animation. It is on the level of Fate Stay: Unlimited Blade Works.
Regardless, I only gave King's Avatar a 5 I think
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1053
I've only watched 3 that I'm aware of being Chinese/based on Chinese origins... Reikenzan, Quan Zhi Fashi, and Quan Zhi Gao Shou.
I would not consider those to be "comedies", so your poll is meaningless since all entries are for "comedic animation".

The animation of the shows so far has been fine, and the story plots of what I've watched have been fine, its the dialogue that takes some getting used to. Especially for Quan Zhi Fashi.
Perhaps its just the fan-subber's translations, but all the "brother" this and "good brother" that... can't help but think that China is more inbred than the American deep south.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.


 
Oct 22, 2017 12:10 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 2308
GrimorumInvoke said:
Pyro said:
I've yet to see any Chinese cartoons that is even remotely acceptable on any level. All of them look over 10 years dated. Also, Shitcom has better writing than most of them.


King's Avatar has amazing animation. It is on the level of Fate Stay: Unlimited Blade Works.
Regardless, I only gave King's Avatar a 5 I think

I'll keep that in mind. Who knows maybe I'll watch it when I feel like hating myself.
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 4241
Not really , it is mediocore at best and not very appealing but it is not that bad , I bet that their animation will develop in the future just like the japanese animation


"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"


 
Oct 22, 2017 12:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 10997
I don't care if it isn't funny, because the ones I've seen weren't supposed to be funny.
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 921
Reikenzan had a bit of comedy (maybe a lot) does that count?

If so, yes I do find Chinese animation funny
[center][/ccenter]
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Older_than_dirt said:
I've only watched 3 that I'm aware of being Chinese/based on Chinese origins... Reikenzan, Quan Zhi Fashi, and Quan Zhi Gao Shou.
I would not consider those to be "comedies", so your poll is meaningless since all entries are for "comedic animation".

The animation of the shows so far has been fine, and the story plots of what I've watched have been fine, its the dialogue that takes some getting used to. Especially for Quan Zhi Fashi.
Perhaps its just the fan-subber's translations, but all the "brother" this and "good brother" that... can't help but think that China is more inbred than the American deep south.


The four animations I mentioned are not considered comedy; however, there were many attempts at humor and it was made very obvious.

"good brother" is slang.
In America, it would be like "bro"
In Mexico, it would be like "amigo"
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Milk_is_Special said:
I don't care if it isn't funny, because the ones I've seen weren't supposed to be funny.


Did you see these four:

Dragon Nest
Raksasha Street
King's Avatar
QuanZhi Fashi
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 215
GrimorumInvoke said:

I saw
Dragon Nest
Raksasha Street
King's Avatar


Well, these ones aren't exactly comedy. King's Avatar has some internet memes. Raksasha Street has a scene where female MC does a parody of Spiderman, Harry Potter and Gandalf in 2 seconds. These are the only comedic bits I can think of.
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1422
Paul said:
There's a weird stiffness to King's Avatar's animation that kinda annoyed me, aside from the ridiculous amounts of recycled animations.

Though assuming you're talking about comedy and not 'animation', no, I haven't found any funny.
jaja shit man why are you so mean? jaja


 
Oct 22, 2017 12:32 PM
</overrated>

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 5085
It's so dramatic almost to the point of comedic along with the fact that they have no idea what pacing and tension is. Yep, hilarious.
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Jyzal said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

I saw
Dragon Nest
Raksasha Street
King's Avatar


Well, these ones aren't exactly comedy. King's Avatar has some internet memes. Raksasha Street has a scene where female MC does a parody of Spiderman, Harry Potter and Gandalf in 2 seconds. These are the only comedic bits I can think of.


King's Avatar has many comedy bits. I think it had 10+ comedy bits and they were a pain to watch.

Raksasha street, the girl's existence is mostly for humor purposes. It was almost slightly funny for me.
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5764
I grew up watching more or less comedic action Hong-Kong movies and I liked many of them, my favourite probably being this movie about a medicine man's son who practices drunken kung-fu (featuring Jackie Chan).

Well, I have only seen one chinese animated series, TO BE HERO. It was stupid and often badly made but it was funny enough, with a nice (and somewhat touching) wrap-up. The format (12x11mn) helped the relatively uninspired show to be easier to digest (earning it a 7/10 from me).
I probably won't watch the announced second series though (as the narrative has already gone full circle).
 
Oct 22, 2017 12:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1053
GrimorumInvoke said:

"good brother" is slang.
In America, it would be like "bro"
In Mexico, it would be like "amigo"


Ok, gotcha... that helps. Still, as I said, it takes a little getting used to.
After nearly 4 years of Japanese dialogue, Chinese dialogue is just different enough to stand out.
Given time, I'm sure it'll all seem normal.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.


 
Oct 22, 2017 12:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 285
I haven't enjoyed a Chinese Animation until I started watching Battle Through the Heavens, the comedy aspect is poor and it's predictable silliness, useless powerup scenes but I have lasted 2 episodes so far.

These 3: Rakshasa Street, King's Avatar & QuanZhi Fashi had utterly alien responses to their situation breaking my ability to suspend my disbelief and therefor making them unwatchable.

Will take a look at Dragon Nest

 
Oct 22, 2017 12:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1759
Hard to say, since there isn't much Chinese anime atm. On the other hand, there's plenty of manhua (Chinese manga) to go around, some of which is really good as you can see...

 
Oct 22, 2017 12:59 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 215
OK, I'm going to give a really long answer since I have something to say about this topic.

Comedy is the hardest genre to translate. It depends most heavily on language and cultural familiarity. What we find funny are shaped by the media we consumed growing up. Not to mention Chinese web animation uses a lot of internet slangs and memes, people who're unfamiliar with Chinese internet language simply wouldn't get the jokes.

Having said that, I only find Chinese animation funny sometimes even though I'm familiar with the culture and the internet language. Even in my favorite Chinese anime, I only find half the comedy funny, the other half distasteful.

Now I'm going to give my guesses on why this is the case.

Chinese media (movies, TV shows, etc.) are strongly influenced by 1990s Hongkong movies, because those are the most popular entertainment people watch as kids. If you watch Hongkong movies, you must know who Stephen Chow is. He popularized a comedic style called nonsensical humor (mo lei tau). He's very influential till this day. His latest movie is the second highest grossing movie of all time in China's box office. This pop culture history partially explains why Chinese people are more receptive of this type of slapstick humour.

Speaking of Chinese animation specifically, 99.9 percent of Chinese TV animation were targeted toward children five years ago. But in 2012, a short ONA series called One Hundred Thousand Bad Jokes suddenly gained popularity online. It was the first "breakout" show for Chinese web animation's "underground" status. The success of this show led many people in the comics and animation industry to think that comedy is the only genre that can gain commercial success in the Chinese market. Obviously not everyone can do it right. Many creators in the industry awkwardly mixed in comedy in their work even if they are not very good at the style. This trend mostly affected manga created during 2012 and 2015, which are also the ones being adapted into anime now. On the other hand, anime adapted from web novels are less affected by it. Luckily it's a trend the industry gradually grew out of, especially with the success of shows in other genres such as King's Avatar.
Modified by Jyzal, Oct 22, 2017 1:19 PM
 
Oct 22, 2017 1:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 10997
GrimorumInvoke said:
Milk_is_Special said:
I don't care if it isn't funny, because the ones I've seen weren't supposed to be funny.


Did you see these four:

Dragon Nest
Raksasha Street
King's Avatar
QuanZhi Fashi
I saw King's Avatar, but that was mainly battle focused, and if their was comedy it wasn't memorable.
 
Oct 22, 2017 2:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1515
No it sucks just like Japanese comedy
 
Oct 22, 2017 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 11945
Quan Zhi Gao Shou's the only one I've seen, so obviously I haven't had much experience.

Do the ones with only Chinese character names count as Chinese animation? Like Evil or Lie, it's animated by a Chinese studio, right?



🌸  
ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇsᴀʀᴛ ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛ •     
 
Oct 22, 2017 2:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1592
Lu Shidai was funny at times and just a fun show in general.

The King's Avatar on the other hand is not. And I have no clue why the genre tag includes comedy. Maybe it's different cultures. Or maybe it relies too much on ridiculous situations (for a gamer at least) followed by ridiculous reactions to be funny. Like how MC had the gal to demand many things from a guild leader as payment for cooperation. And it wasn't funny at all. It's a scene with a shameless smug ass being a shameless smug ass to a person who can't believe he is dealing with one and must present an over-exaggerated reaction complete with stilted animation. Haha, so funny.

P.S. Quas-Wex > Quas-Exort
P.P.S. F*ck Magic. It is not magic that brings me back, but purity of will!
Modified by Eanki, Oct 22, 2017 2:26 PM
You're free to exercise your freedom of speech. But we're not obliged to listen.
Nor are we obliged to give you a platform.
My gaze is the measure of all things:
Latest Review: The RisingRise of the Shield Hero
Latest Blog: Recommended Essays Exploring Actually Excellent World-Building
 
Oct 22, 2017 3:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2646
This is what each are best at

Japan -> Anime
China -> Historical Dramas (Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1994)
Hong Kong -> Modern day Drama/TV shows + Entertainment

Chinese animation sucks.

On a side note, the classic Old Master Q cartoon from Hong Kong is super funny.
 
Oct 22, 2017 4:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Gaiking said:
This is what each are best at

Japan -> Anime
China -> Historical Dramas (Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1994)
Hong Kong -> Modern day Drama/TV shows + Entertainment

Chinese animation sucks.

On a side note, the classic Old Master Q cartoon from Hong Kong is super funny.


You forgot Game of Thrones. That show captivated the world.
 
Oct 22, 2017 4:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3673
Some of them are very stiff. So sometimes.





Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.


 
Oct 22, 2017 4:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 112
Who would want to watch anything approved by the CCP?
 
Oct 22, 2017 4:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Aetherzel said:
Who would want to watch anything approved by the CCP?


Rahkasa street was actually pretty good even though the artwork is dated
King Avatar was good eye candy. Without it, the anime sucked.
I'm just keeping an open mind
 
Oct 23, 2017 8:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2614
Had given one of them a try (can't remember the name), my brain just couldn't process the speed they spoke at so ended up dropping it. Felt like I had turned on one of those super fast news channels that we have here. I couldn't really tell whether it's funny or not, the narrators voice sounded more like "angry" than anything else. But it's most probably because it was the first time I heard Chinese ^^;




29th July → Yuuri & Conrad's Birthday!!!
 
Oct 23, 2017 8:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1975
I've never watched Chinese anime so I can't say. Don't think I'll ever watch it. It's just that Chinese doesn't sound as good as Japanese when I listen to it.
If they dub Chinese anime I might consider watching.
 
May 11, 11:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Any funny Chinese animations yet.
I am really curious
 
May 13, 3:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 540
Some of Chinese animations are good, but I still prefer japanese.
 
May 13, 5:39 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 46
Watched some of Gin no Guardian, Spiritpact, Evil or Live, and completed Quan Zhi Gao Shou and I can confidently say none of them are funny in the slightest.
 
May 13, 8:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7433
I haven't seen any Chinese animation that would qualify as a comedy. So far only one action series, a martial-arts adventure, and a sports series.
"Should I be concerned over the obvious delight our daughter takes in the ultra-violence?"
"It's genetic"
-Red Arrow to Cheshire (Young Justice)
 
May 14, 10:05 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 6
OP, have you seen this? Based on your profile pic, I'd presume so. What are your thoughts?
I just found it recently and finished doing English subs for the whole series.

Season 1 is really funny but Season 2 turns serious


 
May 15, 10:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
TShido said:
OP, have you seen this? Based on your profile pic, I'd presume so. What are your thoughts?
I just found it recently and finished doing English subs for the whole series.

Season 1 is really funny but Season 2 turns serious




Invoker's character is not a pitiful and disgraceful worrywart with zero self-confidence.
Storyline should be made with the character's bio taken in consideration.
 
May 15, 10:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 853
M8 that title is a bit mislesding
I thought you were askin about the whole chinese animation to be funny..

Thats like asking 'do you find Schindler's List funny?'

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

 
May 15, 10:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 14
The only chinese anime I have seen is King's Avatar, though I have to finish it one day 'cause its worth it. There is various funny scenes, still not on a japanese one's anime level but it genuinely made me smile !
 
May 15, 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Dave_Adrian said:
M8 that title is a bit mislesding
I thought you were askin about the whole chinese animation to be funny..

Thats like asking 'do you find Schindler's List funny?'


How would you phrase it?
I don't understand your second sentence; please rephrase it.
 
May 15, 11:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 853
GrimorumInvoke said:
Dave_Adrian said:
M8 that title is a bit mislesding
I thought you were askin about the whole chinese animation to be funny..

Thats like asking 'do you find Schindler's List funny?'


How would you phrase it?
I don't understand your second sentence; please rephrase it.

Its like askin 'do you think tv shows are funny?' and not 'do you think comedy tv shows are funny?'

U know wut Im sayin?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

 
May 15, 11:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1131
Dave_Adrian said:
GrimorumInvoke said:


How would you phrase it?
I don't understand your second sentence; please rephrase it.

Its like askin 'do you think tv shows are funny?' and not 'do you think comedy tv shows are funny?'

U know wut Im sayin?


So you are saying I should of typed this instead: "Do you think comedy animations from China are generally funny?"
Well, do you?
 
May 15, 3:43 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 146
Please someone quote me on this for future reference... If something is funny, I shall laugh, giggle or at least smile because of it... And if I don’t, then It is not funny. The end.
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »