Forum Settings
Forums

International Streaming Service DAISUKI Ends Service in October

New
Aug 1, 2017 9:21 AM

Jul 2009
Streaming content distributor DAISUKI announced on Tuesday that it will terminate its international anime streaming service by October 31, 2017. DAISUKI, which began its service in 2013, is owned and operated by Anime Consortium Japan and was acquired by Bandai Namco Holdings in a 2.1 billion yen buyout in March.

The site was opened following the 2012 establishment of a joint venture among Asatsu DK, Toei Animation, Aniplex, Sunrise, TMS Entertainment, and Dentsu. In 2014, ownership of DAISUKI was transferred to Anime Consortium Japan, with Bandai Namco Holdings and the Cool Japan Fund state investment board joining the company's shareholders. In the following year, they were joined by publishers Kodansha, Shueisha, Shogakukan, and Kadokawa, card game creator Bushiroad, and merchandise firm Good Smile Company.

MyAnimeList's parent company DeNA previously established a partnership with Anime Consortium Japan to embed DAISUKI's streaming content, such as The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls and God Eater, on the website. At Anime Expo 2016, Anime Consortium Japan announced it was adding a premium subscription service to DAISUKI which provides access to a larger selection of simulcast titles and older titles. Registration for new premium subscribers closed on July 1.

Variety reports that Bandai Namco had planned to make Anime Consortium Japan a more nimble operator as DAISUKI was facing stiffening competition from other streaming services.

Source: DAISUKI
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Aug 1, 2017 9:27 AM

Nov 2007
This goes to show that the model of streaming anime is still not sustainable. Besides there are so many illegal ways to watch anime anyways. With FUNi being acquired by a monster company, I wonder what would happen to CR and other distributors in the long run. Very interesting indeed. Well, as well as things turn out good for the industry overall in the long run, I won't complain.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 1, 2017 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
Sad to hear Daisuki go, especially since it's one of the rare legal anime-watching sites here in Asia. Thank you for letting me watch plenty of shows that weren't available here before like The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls.
Aug 1, 2017 9:38 AM

Apr 2016
Damn. Why did it have to close on my birthday? ー_ー
Aug 1, 2017 9:41 AM

Nov 2008
There goes the chances of more Idolmaster anime being legally subbed.

Aug 1, 2017 9:56 AM

Aug 2007
Bad news for daisuki. But if I am honest when it comes out as an option my first impression was: "it will die soon".
Aug 1, 2017 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
This will probably be a bad thing but at the same time I hope I'm wrong... I dunno, this just really blows it for my end I suppose.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ShockedAug 1, 2017 11:10 PM
Aug 1, 2017 10:05 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
RIP, I still remember the moment when they had exclusively had One Punch Man.
Aug 1, 2017 10:07 AM

Jul 2014
One more tombstone on the cemetery of streamers who want to rent out a famine-stricken selection of video to a heavily discriminitating portion of the market.

1. Get rights for all of the anime.
2. Provide it for ALL OF EARTH
3. Download in HD with zero DRM
4. Get my money
Aug 1, 2017 10:13 AM

Sep 2013
Sure didn't help that their service was shit, I signed up and couldn't watch anything.
Aug 1, 2017 10:23 AM

Jun 2015
And nothing of value was lost.
Aug 1, 2017 10:23 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
The service has some problems sadly. Also, it was expected, and after Sony Pictures USA buying Funimation, there wasn't any hope to save it. However, as I wrote in the other forum: "this doesn't mean that Funimation will improve."

This only shows that the streaming anime services aren't that profitable as some persons believe and the cost of dubbing and licenses can't be sustained due to the vast illegal anime websites around the world.

Aug 1, 2017 10:25 AM

Aug 2013
Hoppy said:
There goes the chances of more Idolmaster anime being legally subbed.
feelsbadman....
Aug 1, 2017 10:29 AM
Aug 2015
Well DAMN that's a real shame :/
[*]
Aug 1, 2017 10:51 AM

Dec 2015
Now, I really hope some french publisher finally acquires ConRevo to make DVDs!! (Bandai has the episodes available for free on YouTube, but streaming and lack of subtitles... no thanks)

More seriously, I was still hoping for them to make available in Europe several 80s/90s Sunrise shows they had for free in the USAs. Guess I'll rapidly check one or two of them through proxy (but I don't like this, it makes my slow telephone line even slower)

So, who's next? The other Bandai free offer known as "gundam.info" ? ...
Aug 1, 2017 11:20 AM

Dec 2014
Well, this is kinda sad.

Daisuki alongside CR are the only legal streaming services available in my country and while they are both very very limited in terms of content in my region, I still appreciated the fact that Daisuki at least tried to simulcast a few shows in my region unlike CR which always has the dreaded 'excluding Asia' tag next to all simulcasts. Sad to see this go.

I'll remember my days of Gundam IBO.
Aug 1, 2017 11:42 AM

May 2015
Just another reason to pirate.

Aug 1, 2017 11:44 AM

Mar 2015
i don't get it ,can some1 explain to me?
Aug 1, 2017 11:48 AM
May 2016
The signs are there, Anime Strike, Sony buying 95% of funimation shares, and Daisuke shutting down.

THE END IS COMING
Aug 1, 2017 11:48 AM

Nov 2011
I remember the days of Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans when people used this service the most on weekends.

I haven't really used Daisuki much since its launch but definitely bad news for those who want to watch anime legally.
Aug 1, 2017 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
welp i only have watch Kuroko no Basket last season there and their video series of the making of Coincrete Revolutio is a good crash course on how the whole animation process works

they need more anime in their database to compete but sadly that did not happen
Aug 1, 2017 1:48 PM
Feb 2012
Amazon Strike killing them slowly.
Aug 1, 2017 2:00 PM

Aug 2010
No big loss. They had so much potential, but for the most part, they streamed things that everyone else had.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 1, 2017 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
This was honestly bound to happen to them. They weren't that big, and the subs were a mixed bag from every show they did for the most part unless it was a Gundam show.
Aug 1, 2017 3:54 PM

Dec 2016
Never used it before, didn't need to, haruhichan and kissanime fulfills my needs...for now.
Aug 1, 2017 4:02 PM

Apr 2011
one less place for horriblesubs to rip from lel
Aug 1, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2014
HiDive, You better not let us down and go worldwide pls.... I want to watch legally as much as I can.....
Aug 1, 2017 6:00 PM

Nov 2012
wait....

........there are people who pay to watch anime in 2017?
Aug 1, 2017 6:03 PM

Jan 2013
Valaskjalf said:
one less place for horriblesubs to rip from lel
I bet you think if HorribleSubs runs out of places to rip from that they wont start getting more creative, and people will just start buying anime.

Lemme tell you a secret: Anime piracy will never end. Ever.
Aug 1, 2017 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
Naxrrhid said:
wait....

Answer: Yes there are people that pay to watch anime in 2017.
Aug 1, 2017 6:51 PM

Mar 2016
Whoa...didn't see that one coming...
I only watch Daisuki is because of *ahem* iDOLM@STER
Aug 1, 2017 6:51 PM

Jun 2012
Not a big deal, Crunchyroll or FUnimation will probably pick up most of the shows they were bound to license.
Aug 1, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2013
Daisuke was never really that big to begin with, I'm honestly more surprised it took this long to announce it was closing

In any event I'm still waiting to how the other "big 3" streamers are going to go against each other, all of them still have shotty business models when it comes to the international community
Aug 1, 2017 8:21 PM

Sep 2011
I more feel bad for people losing their jobs and the industry shrinking that much more than the quality themselves, they killed it for gundam shows but everything else was a mixed bag. But hey they almost consistently got IBO out in time for me to watch before work prior to 7 am so I appreciate that at least.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 1, 2017 9:10 PM

Aug 2008
In the end, Japan only care about their own Japanese market. No matter how much anime fans outside Japan criticize anime, if fans in Japan are satisfied, then our opinion weigh no value. Prove that gaijin critic/opinion/review/discussion are totally irrelevant to the Japanese. In the end, anime is mainly for Japanese alone.

Either that or international support for legitimate streaming is very little in that case, we can see more Chinese company taking over Japanese anime industry in future. Chinese cartoon, literally.
ZapredonAug 1, 2017 9:23 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 1, 2017 9:29 PM
May 2015
Red_Tuesday said:
One more tombstone on the cemetery of streamers who want to rent out a famine-stricken selection of video to a heavily discriminitating portion of the market.

4. Get my money

What you're asking for is ridiculous and completely dillusional. Even Netflix can't do this shit because it's IMPOSSIBLE.

1) and 2) is simply impossible because there's competition involved and it all depends on the producers if they want to give the rights to a certain company

3) This is the ridiculous part. You expect to pay $7 a month and download TV series and movies? LMAO.....Boi, not only don't you have any idea how business in the entertainment industry works but you also have no idea how expensive it is to produce such content. $7 is a reasonable price to stream a series but to own a series at that price?! That's like saying I should be able to play a Triple A game for $10.

Aug 1, 2017 9:49 PM
Jun 2014
I only heard about it before because it's was streaming One Punch Man faster than other sites...
Aug 1, 2017 9:51 PM
Jun 2014
As long as Crunchyroll, Horriblesubs, and Kissanime are still around it's not that big of a loss...
Aug 1, 2017 9:54 PM

Jun 2015
Red_Tuesday said:

4. Get my money

Lol chihaya when did u became smart
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 1, 2017 10:14 PM

Jul 2014
jc9622 said:
3) This is the ridiculous part. You expect to pay $7 a month and download TV series and movies?

Don't put words in my mouth.

I expect to pay a reasonable fee per anime that I choose to buy. I don't care if someone has 500 anime if I only want 2 of them. If I want to pay $15 once for a digital download that is 2 months worth of subscription money from someone who would never subscribe.

Since optical media went obsolete in 2008 there needs to be a valid option to replace the hardcopy. A digital copy is the only feasible way.

Aug 1, 2017 10:43 PM

Nov 2012
jc9622 said:
You expect to pay $7 a month and download TV series and movies?

Wait...., people in 2015+2 pay to watch TV series and movies? I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume money is traded for music as well? Wait, do people not know how to use the internet?

Wasshio said:
Naxrrhid said:
wait....

Like, this is serious right? Not trolling or anything? People legitimately spend money to watch the same HD 1080p 7.1 SRS anime that other people watch for free? Damn.......
Aug 1, 2017 11:08 PM

Oct 2015
Well, there goes all Gundam streams... Sucks to see a legal anime streaming platform die but Daisuke was just never big enough. Especially with Crunchyroll on the market whom Funimation eventually caved to support rather than compete against. Now what will happen to their titles? Will they be lost forever or will CR pick them up?

Also, the people who are claiming its foolish to pay for the anime you consume, you're a parasyte.
Aug 2, 2017 12:30 AM

Apr 2016
To tell the truth nothing valuable was lost.
Aug 2, 2017 2:09 AM

May 2015
Half of series available in France was without French subtitles and most part of them did not even work at other websites. It was a good initiative but they did not put enough resources. There was some most popular show that could be used to start the services.
Aug 2, 2017 2:35 AM

Jan 2014
Even if the content wasn't good as other anime streaming distributor it's a bad new T_T
Aug 2, 2017 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Naxrrhid said:
jc9622 said:
You expect to pay $7 a month and download TV series and movies?

Wait...., people in 2015+2 pay to watch TV series and movies? I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume money is traded for music as well? Wait, do people not know how to use the internet?

Wasshio said:

Like, this is serious right? Not trolling or anything? People legitimately spend money to watch the same HD 1080p 7.1 SRS anime that other people watch for free? Damn.......

Yes, and its not something new either to be completely honest. For a seasonal anime watcher then yeah its even a bigger or a very apparent reason to do so. I mean... I dunno, they just do it. It's not a joke nor anything, its actually legit.
Aug 2, 2017 1:46 PM

Mar 2009
IIRC, I used Daisuki a few times when they first hit the scene, but that was it. Rest in peace, though.
Aug 4, 2017 3:34 AM
Sep 2016
Can't really call it a big loss. Still waiting for someone to make a legal alternative for us in Northern Europe/scandinavia. As of yet, I'll have no other choice but to keep on being an international wanted pirate.
Aug 9, 2017 7:34 PM

Jul 2011
This is a big loss to all people who can't watch shows legally because they are part of "Worldwide Excluding Asia", as Crunchyroll puts it. One Punch Man, God Eater, Tales of Zestiria, EroManga Sensei. They had good shows. They are worldwide.

But as to why it never occured to the consortium that owns Daisuki to actually try getting new shows on their platform baffles me. But I guess it's because companies like Funi, Crunchyroll, etc are paying top $$ to get these shows. For the Production Committee, it probably does not matter if they also own Daisuki. What matters is the revenue they will get from the anime they produced. Will they earn more if they put it on Daisuki? An almost free streaming site with Ads? Or will they earn more if Crunchyroll pays for the anime (with a promise of revenue share)? The answer is obvious.

They never tried to make Daisuki competitive. They thought just their names (the companies behind Daisuki) are enough to drive people. They forgot what drives people to use their streaming product is their content, and nothing else.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
7 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.