Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 29, 2017 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Tsurumaru is pretty tough! That speed is scary.

Pretty thrilling episode. I got chills watching some of the scenes when they were on that ship while fighting. Good action this week too (thanks ufotable) Definitely the toughest Yagen they had to fight so far.

The last few minutes of this episode was very chilling imo.
Jul 29, 2017 9:06 AM

Mar 2013
Tsurumaru's speed in night battle?

WHAT PLEASE TWO OF YOU! SURVIVED PLEASE
pleass please especially Tonbokiri in the end😭😭😭team 2 is so good why why

why hello Jiji appeared again in episode 5😄😶

death flags💔💔✖✖

happy birthday to the CV of Kane-san (Kimura Ryouhei)
honokiJul 29, 2017 7:25 PM
Jul 29, 2017 9:08 AM

Jul 2015
Nooooo I need to know what happened to Tonbo! Pretty ballsy of Ufotable to start breaking swords already, though I think he'll probably survive. We didn't see him disappearing, so he's probably just "down to 1 HP" just like in the game.
Jul 29, 2017 9:12 AM
Jan 2016
this probably is most visually appealing tv episode ive ever seen, too pity so much effort for just a browser game adaptation.
All the 3d action camera on the ship was so fucking awesome, cant wait to see it in full glory in hf movie.
Jul 29, 2017 9:45 AM

May 2017
That action! Love this ep as well!
Noo tonbo ;^;.....why...
Jul 29, 2017 9:54 AM
Aug 2016
My heart officially broke
the ep was good and its interesting that from all adaptions this the first time we get to see the touken danshi lose.
I am liking how the story is progressing and team 1 will be appearing next week?
i hope kanesan still remains MC even when team 1 comes i really excited for there appearance.
they broke Izumi no kami in the worst way possible ( sasuga UFotable) while tonbokiri looks like his sword broke. I hope not.
Animation was perfect. I love how they are presenting it and giving touken ranbu this animation.
how can i wait for next week??
Jul 29, 2017 10:46 AM
May 2015
This episode had me on edge goddamn.. and Tombokiri, Rest In Peace, the dude went out like a man.

Munechika is next, and the fact he /is/ the First Unit is genuinely scary and puts in perspective how strong he is. Regardless, this was a really good episode.
Jul 29, 2017 11:03 AM
Jan 2015
I still very confused about the score for this series this has been some pretty great stuff.
My Queens

Jul 29, 2017 11:12 AM
Jan 2008
WAIT. DID THEY KILL OFF TONBO AND KANESAN?
Jul 29, 2017 11:20 AM
Aug 2016
GChan said:
WAIT. DID THEY KILL OFF TONBO AND KANESAN?

Tonbo is not yet confirmed. Kanesan didnt die but badly injured ;;
Jul 29, 2017 11:23 AM

Mar 2016
Tsurumaru is super fast...and an interesting character but a great addition to the team. Tonbokiri :( I sure hope he isn't dead...so sad but an honorable sacrifice. Izuminokami also went down but Mutsunokami jumped in the water to save him so he should be alright. Looks like next week the first unit will be getting into the action and I look forward to seeing the new characters.
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 29, 2017 11:33 AM

Jun 2015
The action was thrilling. Tsurumaru is very fast. The scenes on the ship was cool. Looks like The Time Renegade Army changed their tactics. Tonbokiri managed to beat Ootachi, but a great cost. I hope he lives. Izuminokami got injured and went overboard, but Mutsunokami jumped in the water to save him. Going to see the First Unit next episode. Looking forward to see new characters.
Jul 29, 2017 11:33 AM

Aug 2013
The action in the second half was awesome. I don't want Tonbokiri to die.

Jul 29, 2017 11:37 AM

Oct 2016
MIKAZUKI IS HERE AT LAST! FIRST UNIT MAY BE THE LEADS FOR THE NEXT FEW EPISODES IM DAMN EXCITED IVE BEEN WAITING FOR HIM. its so weird how Mikazuki is introduced in episode 5 of Katsugeki and was also introduced in episode 5 of Hanamaru. MIKAZUKIS LUCKY NUMBER IS 5 I GUESS

so glad it isn't just going to be the Bakamatsu period. But good episode. I actually felt strong emotions and excitement while watching this all the way through.. Can't wait for next week... Mikazuki...
Jul 29, 2017 11:49 AM

Oct 2016
ShadowfrostZen said:
This episode had me on edge goddamn.. and Tombokiri, Rest In Peace, the dude went out like a man.

Munechika is next, and the fact he /is/ the First Unit is genuinely scary and puts in perspective how strong he is. Regardless, this was a really good episode.

Mikazuki is one of the tachi with the highest overall stats - second only to ookanehira after he was implemented last year. So damn Mikazuki must be a beast
Jul 29, 2017 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
DID THEY JUST FUCKING KILL OFF TONBO
GODDDDDDDDDD
IM HAPPY TO SEE TSURU FIGHTING AND JIJI APPEARING BUT WHY THIS
Jul 29, 2017 12:57 PM

Oct 2016
Just remembered that the Eiroku period that Unit 1 is going to is a time period significant to Mikazuki Munechika because of his former master Kengo Shogun Ashikaga Yoshiteru who died while wielding him according to legend... I can imagine it'll be super angsty
Jul 29, 2017 12:58 PM

Oct 2008
wasn't expecting this.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jul 29, 2017 1:04 PM
Jul 2017
Everything didn't go as planned
Jul 29, 2017 1:57 PM
Aug 2015
Excellent episode, the fighting scenes were awesome, amazing visuals and animation! ufotable is doing a great job on this anime. I really like the characters. Tsurumaru: that moves!
I just hope that Tonbokiri and Kane-san are alive. The end of the show surprised me. I didn't expect them to lose. Can't wait to see the next episode.
Jul 29, 2017 2:18 PM

Apr 2014
-Mahesvara said:
I still very confused about the score for this series this has been some pretty great stuff.

I know right?? ;A; the show is pretty good and the fact that is has such a low score is saddening. then again this is MAL rankings we are talking about >_>
Jul 29, 2017 2:18 PM
Dec 2016
okay i have no idea what happened in this episode...but Tonbokiri was my favourite :(
Jul 29, 2017 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
Man, i loved this episode so much T^T It made me experience so many emotions! I should have expected Katsugeki to have done something like this since it's by Ufotable, but it still caught me by surprise when it took such a dark turn. Can't wait for next week's episode
Jul 29, 2017 2:28 PM

Jul 2016
MikazukiRanbu said:
MIKAZUKIS LUCKY NUMBER IS 5 I GUESS

Wow. His number is very 5 because in the game, I obtained him as my fifth sword.

Jul 29, 2017 2:34 PM

Oct 2016
SirOtakuGirl said:
-Mahesvara said:

I know right?? ;A; the show is pretty good and the fact that is has such a low score is saddening. then again this is MAL rankings we are talking about >_>

The first 3 episodes were poorly paced and boring for some of the people watching and most of them either ranked from that and dropped the show or didn't adjust their score. Some people gave it a low score because there are no female characters ( dumb reason ). And some gave it a bad score because of Hanamaru ( Dumber reason because Hanamaru and Katsugeki don't have anything to do with each other for the most part ) and there's also people who ranked Katsugeki poorly because its supposedly Fujoshibait ( The most idiotic reason ). However I believe for the first 3 episodes, Katsugeki deserved a 6.9 score because they were subpar. Episode 4 and episode 5 are the highlights of the series so far because they showed us what we signed up for but doesnt make up for the quality of the beginning of the series which was pretty bad especially for people who don't know the franchise well. Katsugeki didn't get good until episode 4 - took longer than it should have.
MikazukiRanbuJul 29, 2017 2:42 PM
Jul 29, 2017 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
MikazukiRanbu said:
SirOtakuGirl said:

The first 3 episodes were poorly paced and boring for some of the people watching and most of them either ranked from that and dropped the show or didn't adjust their score. Some people gave it a low score because there are no female characters ( dumb reason ). And some gave it a bad score because of Hanamaru ( Dumber reason because Hanamaru and Katsugeki don't have anything to do with each other for the most part ) and there's also people who ranked Katsugeki poorly because its supposedly Fujoshibait ( The most idiotic reason ). However I believe for the first 3 episodes, Katsugeki deserved a 6.9 score because they were subpar. Episode 4 and episode 5 are the highlights of the series so far because they showed us what we signed up for but doesnt make up for the quality of the beginning of the series which was pretty bad especially for people who don't know the franchise well. Katsugeki didn't get good until episode 4 - took longer than it should have.

To be honest the people that rated the show for those reasons (at least in MY eyes) is quite stupid. Especially for the third one (as if it wasn't bad enough for the first two, especially since the concept of fujobait is bad for a lot of people, not saying it is fujobait, but as a fujoshi... that's quite stupid).

But yeah I admit that the iniciative of the show wasn't really that great to be honest because you do have some bit of establishment of the characters but the world seems really shallow in a way (unless you have played the games then it really makes it hard for anyone to really want to understand it).
Jul 29, 2017 2:58 PM

Oct 2008
-Mahesvara said:

Took quite a while to get interesting (and I played the game), but now I'm understanding why they spend the entire second episode just with introductions. I think I really started liking it around when episode 3 aired. I think that's one of the reasons besides the overall prejudice with things targeted at women AND some people mad because Ufotable is doing this and not Fate Apocrypha
>User since 2008

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jul 29, 2017 3:04 PM
Jan 2015
bekeru said:
-Mahesvara said:

Took quite a while to get interesting (and I played the game), but now I'm understanding why they spend the entire second episode just with introductions. I think I really started liking it around when episode 3 aired. I think that's one of the reasons besides the overall prejudice with things targeted at women AND some people mad because Ufotable is doing this and not Fate Apocrypha
Yeah that makes sense, but can't really agree with that line of thinking but whatever. Hopefully the score goes up as it keeps airing. Based on the production values alone, the series doesn't deserve such a poor rating. Not like Mal ratings mean jack shit anyway.
My Queens

Jul 29, 2017 3:07 PM
Aug 2016

I agree 1-2 were basically setting up the story for newcomers and character introductions i didn't see any problem with the setting up even when i already play the game and it got faster from ep 3 and so on. MAL ranking were always weird tbh and people who rate when they didn't even watch it affects the series.
Jul 29, 2017 3:08 PM

Oct 2008
-Mahesvara said:
bekeru said:

Yeah that makes sense, but can't really agree with that line of thinking but whatever. Hopefully the score goes up as it keeps airing. Based on the production values alone, the series doesn't deserve such a poor rating. Not like Mal ratings mean jack shit anyway.

MAL reviews and scores mean jackshit indeed, like you said some other aspects really got it going but it's not like most people will care about production values, soundtrack, voice acting etc.
>User since 2008

Jul 29, 2017 3:11 PM
Jan 2008
Now that I've seen it.

I don't think Kanesan's dead. Just wounded...or in gamespeak, he's down to 1HP.

Tonbo.......I dunno.

Also, MAL hates this series and anything that has a bishonen cast because 'LOLFUJOSHIT'
Jul 29, 2017 3:14 PM

Oct 2016
bekeru said:
-Mahesvara said:

MAL reviews and scores mean jackshit indeed, like you said some other aspects really got it going but it's not like most people will care about production values, soundtrack, voice acting etc.

The production value shouldn't make up for bad writing . excellent production value, good writing and by extension interesting / likeable characters should go hand in hand. I think its good that some anime watchers looked past the shows amazing visuals and decided whether they liked the show or not based on that rather than saying the show is great based on the visuals and soundtrack alone.

I'm not saying Katsugeki is bad - I actually began to enjoy it more myself by episode 4. But I am saying its not great judging by the first 3 episodes alone and the production value definitely was not suited to how the first 3 episodes were written. Whether they were just to introduce the characters or not, they were still slow and boring. And now the characters are going back to the citadel with a new group of characters about to go on their next mission meaning that all of that was more or less pointless.
Jul 29, 2017 3:32 PM

Oct 2016
-Mahesvara said:
bekeru said:

The MAL score is important as it gauges the opinion based scores of the anime viewers and puts them out for people to see. That being said, by implying the MAL score doesn't matter you're basically saying other peoples opinions don't matter which they do. The mal score doesn't dictate whether a show is good or bad ( because opinions are SUBJECTIVE ) but it can show how many people enjoyed the show and how many did not. I do think its unwise that people are allowed to rate the entire series when it isn't done yet and can throw some people off when they look at the score but 6.9 isn't that terrible of a score. It could be worse. Anything below a 5 would be awful and admittedly wrong from my viewpoint. But because of how this show has been written so far, it doesn't deserve anything above a 6.anything in my opinion if you aren't going by the production value voice acting and soundtrack.
Jul 29, 2017 3:40 PM

Oct 2008
MikazukiRanbu said:
bekeru said:

The production value shouldn't make up for bad writing . excellent production value, good writing and by extension interesting / likeable characters should go hand in hand. I think its good that some anime watchers looked past the shows amazing visuals and decided whether they liked the show or not based on that rather than saying the show is great based on the visuals and soundtrack alone.

I'm not saying Katsugeki is bad - I actually began to enjoy it more myself by episode 4. But I am saying its not great judging by the first 3 episodes alone and the production value definitely was not suited to how the first 3 episodes were written. Whether they were just to introduce the characters or not, they were still slow and boring. And now the characters are going back to the citadel with a new group of characters about to go on their next mission meaning that all of that was more or less pointless.

I'd like to think anime watchers are being more aware about how important the quality of the script is, but I don't think that's a particular trait of MAL userbase itself, then again it's mostly my opinion. Being slow doesn't mean the show is bad.
I don't think they'll completely ignore the second unit from now on considering they just showed a major point in some character's exposition like how Kane-san was devasted about the plan going wrong, ignoring that for an example would be indeed a big factor showing bad writing, now I'll just have to wait and see.
>User since 2008

Jul 29, 2017 3:42 PM
Jan 2015
MikazukiRanbu said:
-Mahesvara said:

The MAL score is important as it gauges the opinion based scores of the anime viewers and puts them out for people to see. That being said, by implying the MAL score doesn't matter you're basically saying other peoples opinions don't matter which they do. The mal score doesn't dictate whether a show is good or bad ( because opinions are SUBJECTIVE ) but it can show how many people enjoyed the show and how many did not. I do think its unwise that people are allowed to rate the entire series when it isn't done yet and can throw some people off when they look at the score but 6.9 isn't that terrible of a score. It could be worse. Anything below a 5 would be awful and admittedly wrong from my viewpoint. But because of how this show has been written so far, it doesn't deserve anything above a 6.anything in my opinion if you aren't going by the production value voice acting and soundtrack.
It doesn't matter, because opinions in the the west don't matter in the large scheme of things. All that matters are the opinions of the Japanese fans, who are the much larger part of the viewership.
-MahesvaraJul 29, 2017 3:49 PM
My Queens

Jul 29, 2017 3:45 PM
Apr 2017
MikazukiRanbu said:

I'm impressed. You seem like a huge fan of this franchise but you're not biased. I agree with everything you said. I didn't play the game. Judging by the anime alone the writing is pretty bad imo. The characters keep repeating words with no meaning such as asking "why do you kill innocent people" to mindless monsters that obviously just don't care.

But it got pretty exciting this episode. Hope it will only improve.

One thing I'm wondering about though. So the next mission is on a completely different timeline? Why? The 1st mission wasn't even finished yet. So they're just going to let Edo burn?
Jul 29, 2017 4:02 PM

May 2015
I'm sweating.... that was a rollercoaster....

It funnily made me think about how I've never broken a sword in the game, I've always returned to the citadel when they've fallen into severe damage because I don't like taking the risk lmao. Clearly the Saniwa clicked return to the citadel a little too late

I'm SO ready to see who the first unit consists of aside from Jiji (unless they already announced it and I somehow missed it)

♡ artist
サコ
Jul 29, 2017 4:05 PM
Aug 2016
kiwamegokotai said:

It funnily made me think about how I've never broken a sword in the game, I've always returned to the citadel when they've fallen into severe damage because I don't like taking the risk lmao. Clearly the Saniwa clicked return to the citadel a little too late

I'm SO ready to see who the first unit consists of aside from Jiji (unless they already announced it and I somehow missed it)

They were announced if you are interested they are:

spoilers*
1-Yamanbigiri 2- Hizamaru 3-Higekiri 4- oodenta 5-honebami of course with Jiji
Jul 29, 2017 4:12 PM

May 2015
Kaio_chiii said:
kiwamegokotai said:

They were announced if you are interested they are:

spoilers*
1-Yamanbigiri 2- Hizamaru 3-Higekiri 4- oodenta 5-honebami of course with Jiji

Thank you so much!! Oh hell yeah I'm ready for some animated Hizamaru and Higekiri

♡ artist
サコ
Jul 29, 2017 5:14 PM

Jul 2009
NOOOOOOOOO I swear Tonbokiri better not die/disappear!

YASSSSSSSSSS MUNECHIKA IS HERE! I sensed his arrival--but wait, who the hell you making Captain then?
Jul 29, 2017 5:23 PM

Jan 2009
Tonbokiri looks as good as dead but he did take down the Ootachi
and also Izunomikami(?) the captain of the second unit seems fatally wounded too

and wow history change and now the first unit will appear
Jul 29, 2017 6:00 PM

Dec 2016
Ouch, not a good episode for our hero's.

Very intense and action packed, it was good to watch.

Looking forward to watching the next episode.
Jul 29, 2017 6:16 PM

Jul 2017
That was actually a decent episode since so much chaotic things happened.

I still feel like the only reason why anyone would continue to watch this is the action, music, and animation. Apart for the good looking main characters.

The story and the characters are still rather weak, and there isn't much interest overall.
Jul 29, 2017 9:15 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, shit got real this episode
Hopefully it can keep up this quality.
Jul 29, 2017 9:54 PM
Jun 2016
HOPE MY SON WILL SHOW UP NEXT WEEK ;_;
AND I'M LITERALLY CRYING BECAUSE TONBO (/_;)
Jul 29, 2017 11:42 PM

Oct 2016
Diosa11 said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

I'm impressed. You seem like a huge fan of this franchise but you're not biased. I agree with everything you said. I didn't play the game. Judging by the anime alone the writing is pretty bad imo. The characters keep repeating words with no meaning such as asking "why do you kill innocent people" to mindless monsters that obviously just don't care.

But it got pretty exciting this episode. Hope it will only improve.

One thing I'm wondering about though. So the next mission is on a completely different timeline? Why? The 1st mission wasn't even finished yet. So they're just going to let Edo burn?

Haha.. I am a huge fan of the franchise but I can point out the flaws in even the things I like. I definitely don't think Katsugeki should get a free pass on its bad writing just because its based on a thing I like/just because the production value is so high. Ithas its good and bad things and one of the worst things imo was them spending 3 episodes establishing characters when it could have been done in one episode had they had all the characters on the team to begin with.

About the Edo thing, I believe unit 2 failed ( as they were supposed to prevent the fire from happening i think ) and they retreated because two of the swords were badly injured, one being the captain and from gamelore and the other adaptations, once a sword breaks completely the swordman is dead. And people died with history likely changing. I guess theyll have to try again when tonbokiri and izuminokami heal up? I dunno it's weird how they ended the first arc but I'm looking forward to the second arc.
Jul 29, 2017 11:48 PM

Oct 2016
-Mahesvara said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

It doesn't matter, because opinions in the the west don't matter in the large scheme of things. All that matters are the opinions of the Japanese fans, who are the much larger part of the viewership.

The creators of Katsugeki and the people working on the game ( Nitro+ ) care about the overseas fans and their opinions on the show just as they cared about their opinions on Hanamaru. Ufotable has shown great interest in their overseas fanbase for months now on their twitter. So our opinions matter to them. And besides as long as people watch the episodes on legal streaming websites, they get paid and I can guess they don't care where it comes from as long as they get their money. So yeah. It doesn't matter where the opinions are coming from tbh
Jul 30, 2017 1:09 AM

Dec 2014
Awesome action this episode.

Kane-san was injured badly. :(
Is Tonbo dead? If he if is then he went out like a boss.
Jul 30, 2017 3:32 AM
Dec 2016
-Mahesvara said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

I agree with this. And I never check MAL score while before watching a show anyway. There are proofs that Japanese and the west's taste in anime are different .
Jul 30, 2017 3:33 AM
Dec 2016
MikazukiRanbu said:
-Mahesvara said:

The creators of Katsugeki and the people working on the game ( Nitro+ ) care about the overseas fans and their opinions on the show just as they cared about their opinions on Hanamaru. Ufotable has shown great interest in their overseas fanbase for months now on their twitter. So our opinions matter to them. And besides as long as people watch the episodes on legal streaming websites, they get paid and I can guess they don't care where it comes from as long as they get their money. So yeah. It doesn't matter where the opinions are coming from tbh

The game is not even available for foreign players.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2017

108 by L01MK »»
Mar 22, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

45 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 10, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

246 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Mar 20, 2022 2:24 PM

» Can I watch this without watching Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru first?

Kirukato05 - Sep 9, 2021

2 by Kirukato05 »»
Sep 10, 2021 12:40 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

41 by Cylico »»
Nov 15, 2019 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.