Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2007 8:59 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
This episode raised my rating for Bokurano. I loved it. Was a kind of heavy episode, didn't expect it to turn out like this. Definitely looking forward to more!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 22, 2007 1:16 PM

Apr 2007
I think heavy is the right word to describe this episode. It doesn't look like the animators are going to hold any punches concerning what happens to these kids.

That Dung Beetle is one evil, manipulative little bugger by screwing with Isao's emotions in such a way. He seems to enjoy pushing peoples' buttons and also acts very cocky when confronted by the adults. I'm hoping that overconfidence comes to bite him back in the end. Until then it looks like the kids are going to continue dying on schedule though.

Also, it looks like I was wrong with the order since Kunihiko has avoided the death sentence for now. Isao is pretty unstable now so I'm wondering what he'll do in the next episode.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 22, 2007 3:08 PM

Oct 2006
tainteddonut said:
I think heavy is the right word to describe this episode. It doesn't look like the animators are going to hold any punches concerning what happens to these kids.
I'm very, very glad about that.
The show is gaining points in my book as it progresses. The kids personallities and background have been totally different so far, and I'm liking that very much

tainteddonut said:
That Dung Beetle is one evil, manipulative little bugger by screwing with Isao's emotions in such a way. He seems to enjoy pushing peoples' buttons and also acts very cocky when confronted by the adults. I'm hoping that overconfidence comes to bite him back in the end. Until then it looks like the kids are going to continue dying on schedule though.
I'd love to see that too.

Anyone got the feeling that the bastard was somehow talking to the game designer on that scene where he was alone inside Zearth (minute 8.22)?

And from the preview, well expecially more from the next episode title "Lust", I'm getting the feeling the next episode will be heavy too. That guy is pretty unstable indeed, and now that he knows he's gonna die... It wouldn't surprise me if he tries to force himself on Chizu... that is, if the producers intend to go that far...

Eitherway, it's getting very interesting. Looking foward to the next ep.
May 22, 2007 4:04 PM

Apr 2007
Kayrhandros said:
Anyone got the feeling that the bastard was somehow talking to the game designer on that scene where he was alone inside Zearth (minute 8.22)?

I thought so too. Dung Beetle obviously has a master but who is it? I want to guess that it's the guy that first got the kids to sign up but in that episode he seemed apologetic in his last scene as if he was just another pawn. It was never confirmed if he was dead or alive though so if he really is the creator he may be able to bypass that whole "die from piloting" effect.

May 22, 2007 9:18 PM

Apr 2007
Correct me if i'm wrong but i heard some say in the manga Daichi was next and Kako was actually the 5th person.So,they changed the order in the anime.
May 22, 2007 9:32 PM

Apr 2007
I've only had guesses as to what the order would be for the kids to pilot. I've never read the manga and don't plan on doing so as I'd like to avoid any spoilers.

May 24, 2007 9:55 AM

Jul 2005
Yeah, I definitely think this was one of the most heaviest episodes this far with all the sexism and so on. I felt sorry for Kako for being the next pilot.
May 24, 2007 11:25 PM

Feb 2007
Pretty heavy episode.

But if the kids had to die, Kako should be next. Couldn't stand how he treated his partners and his mother. On top of it he's a half-stalker who has sex on his mind for a kid of his age. Dumbass of a kid.

I'm hoping the kids figure out how to bypass dying after piloting Zearth. That way, I can feel a tad bit more hopeful for this series to turn into one that doesn't screw with my insides (should any show really allow children to face death and be forced to accept it? Its too twisted and I don't know if I can bare the Writer's twisted mentality).

May 25, 2007 9:58 PM

Apr 2007
This show could very well turn out to be a masterpiece if it keeps along the lines it's going now.

One thing, did no one find it f'd up that Chizu was talking about how she enjoys having sex with her teacher?
May 26, 2007 5:09 AM

Oct 2006
Roketsu said:
One thing, did no one find it f'd up that Chizu was talking about how she enjoys having sex with her teacher?
I didn't find it so f'd up 'coz I think she was just teasing Kako. If I hadn't read it that way, then yeah.

Though it's one of the things that's making the anime gain points in my view.. the way the present things, sometimes in a brutal way.
KayrhandrosMay 26, 2007 5:21 AM
May 26, 2007 8:10 AM

Apr 2007
Roketsu said:

Screwed up, yes, but it's just another interesting facet of her character. These kids aren't all innocent angels.

May 26, 2007 8:28 PM

Apr 2007
Yeah, it was more of a "..." moment for me, and I totally agree that this anime's character development is great.
May 28, 2007 4:55 AM

Apr 2007
I wasnt expecting that from Chizu, the love thing with her teacher (she's 7th grade for crying out loud >,>) .... But what the hey, she's still my favourite charecter.

It looks like the next episode is going to be even more inside turning than this episode, with Chizu running from Kako, and what i think may be him forcing her on himself. I always thought Kako was a bit of a bastard, the way he treats that chubby kid, now i know his a horny bastard >w<.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to say. I hope that a** guy with the one raised eyebrow burns in hell >,>....
SiingMay 28, 2007 4:59 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2008 2:54 PM
Oct 2007
Dung Beetle said something about Kako losing.. Hmm, wonder how this one turns out. Nice ep, that one..
Sep 2, 2008 5:46 PM

Dec 2007
So just as I thought the kids are now going to flip out whenever they hear the voice. To be honest I don't really care for Kako at all since he seems to be just some horny kid and would probably try to rape Chizu. This episode also kind of put into perspective how humans think that they can understand everything, sure the chances of a giant robot capable of destroying the earth appearing isn't very likely but it still gets the point across.

#NBHNC
Nov 11, 2008 7:23 PM

Sep 2008
I think the word heave describes the entire anime. Definitely an inside twisting, knuckle biting, and fist clenching show. Jeez, if Kako was flipping out like that BEFORE he found out he was the next pilot, what's he going to do now?

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Feb 4, 2009 11:33 PM
Jul 2008
PeanutSteak said:
So just as I thought the kids are now going to flip out whenever they hear the voice. To be honest I don't really care for Kako at all since he seems to be just some horny kid and would probably try to rape Chizu. This episode also kind of put into perspective how humans think that they can understand everything, sure the chances of a giant robot capable of destroying the earth appearing isn't very likely but it still gets the point across.

teh poor guy's gonna die, n so is she ... tho if hes gona rape sum1, he may as well rape sum1 he hates n kill em later when hes piloting >.<... tho im beting the reality is alot more immersive storyline than that :P
Jul 10, 2009 7:14 AM

Dec 2008
I've already loved Dung Beetle, but this episode made him even better.
About him having a partner/leader-ish entity, I don't have any preferences towards yes or no. He could simply be talking to himself in that kind of way, it'd work.

"You wanna fuck her brains out, don't you?" & "You called? If some cute little girls are calling for me, I guess I gotta show up and strut my stuff, y'know?" were epic.
NDF guy aiming his weapon at him got rocked, and that was to be expected.

We know Dung Beetle can basically set who passes next; he was tired of Kako-kun, so he just thought "yeah, it'll be him next". Maybe the default selection is on random, but he has an influence on it; or he has to choose all of them.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Apr 25, 2010 8:00 PM

Jul 2008
Dude, it's not cool to be a 7th grade virigin? Fuck, what has this world come to?
Jul 4, 2010 4:34 AM

Nov 2008
shithole brat deserves to die.
Jan 27, 2011 2:04 AM

Mar 2009
It's kinda funny to see Kako freaking out at the end.
Mar 30, 2011 8:44 AM

Oct 2009
Fuck, already this show is extremely depressing. I keep looking at all the characters and am like "oh god, they're gonna die... ;_;"

The way Kako is reacting is understandable though. Pretty sad how he's so mean to his mom.

And I can't stand Dung Beetle already. I thought maybe he would have some sympathy for the kids...lol nope.
Oct 16, 2011 10:35 PM

Apr 2011
Kako is being a total asshole to his mom, I feel sorry for her. She's being so sweet and understanding to him and he's just freaking out. Not like she could help or would probably even believe him. I still felt sorry for him when he saw the symbol plastered across his face, though.
Don't see why people seem surprised he's horny as hell as a 7th grader ... if you are, you don't remember being a 7th grader very well. I was surprised to find out one of the other characters is banging their teacher, but that only makes this even grittier of an anime. It's a very unflnching look at adolescents, and they do get horny and have sex like the rest of us. Nobody was complaining about the sociopath who was the second pilot...

Dung Beetle is gleefully evil, it's kinda amusing and definitely clashes with his stuffed-animal exterior. He reminds me of Kyubey, tho that little bastard was never as outwardly harmful.
Jan 5, 2012 3:55 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah, Dung Beetle is kinda like Kyuubei :x Only with feelings, sadistic feelings :]

Anyways, good episode. I'm really enjoying this show.

Mar 30, 2012 7:18 AM
Mar 2012
So Kako freaked out at his family. Big deal. He's a child, and I bet most people have been that mean over things far less drastic than issues of life and death.

This is the show's first really excellent episode. I like that the government has already found out about this. I'm also glad about Dung Beetle revealing himself to the adults. I was afraid the show was going to go the route of him not appearing and the government officials thinking the children were liars.

Dung Beetle himself really is terrifying and seems to have almost unlimited power. Forget trying to attack him when he could do any manner of horrible thing to you in retaliation. Who knows if he can even be hurt? I wonder who his master is?

The world is destroyed if the children lose their fight or if they even refuse to participate? It does seem game-ish. I'm starting to think that there might be children in those enemy mechs as well whose worlds are being annihilated.

I liked the reactions of the various characters. Some seem to react with quite a bit of fortitude, while others just completely freak out. I certainly can't criticize either reaction.

The next episode looks like something very bad is going to happen to Chizu. I want to think not, but I put nothing past the guy who wrote the manga. If they're being faithful, it'll probably happen.

5/5. Good stuff.
Apr 21, 2012 11:08 AM

Jun 2010
These are definitely not 7th graders.
Sep 12, 2012 8:23 AM

Apr 2008
Hehe, "fuck her brains out" :P

Apr 28, 2013 2:47 AM

Jan 2013
This is a rare anime that actually makes me want to watch the next episode immediately. It always ends on a cliffhanger. Like Code Geass in that sense.

Also, it's weird to see a mixture of supernatural elements and how detailed all the responses are to it.
Jun 4, 2013 1:59 AM

Jun 2012
Honestly, I think Kako's reaction is a more realistic one. Now that he knows he's going to die, there is very little meaning or purpose behind his everyday life. He has to deal with waking up every morning, knowing that everything he does today will be rendered completely irrelevant in a matter of days. With that knowledge, things such as domestic violence and rape suddenly go from being serious crimes that should be avoided to petty afterthoughts, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he tried to rape her. After all, he's going to die regardless, so if she is so retarded that she would rather stay in a relationship with her teacher even though she knows that both him and herself are about to die, why the hell would he put up with it? His life is going to end in a matter of days, so what if he rapes her? He wont even live long enough to hold any regrets about it. I'm not saying that I want him to commit rape, I'm saying that I can understand him doing things like that considering the situation he is in.

Also, I really like the way this anime doesn't hold anything back. This was made especially obvious between the scene with Dung Beetle and Kako, where Dung Beetle explicitly said "You wanna' fuck her brains out, don't you?", and also the scene where Dung Beetle cut a man's arm off.

ArtRodriguez said:
Dude, it's not cool to be a 7th grade virigin? Fuck, what has this world come to?

As any middle schooler will tell you, V-cards are the new cool thing to lose for 7th graders, second only to tempers and dignity.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jun 6, 2013 6:13 AM

Jan 2012
Well, I have no sympathy for that brat so he can die for all I care. Anyway, the plot is developing nicely.

Jul 10, 2013 3:45 PM
Mar 2013
I don't get why people are criticising Kaku for being horny; Chizu's the one banging her teacher.
:/
Though he is an asshole.
Mar 4, 2014 8:57 AM

May 2012
This is really getting good! I just like the development of both the story and characters, it's so well done, and now the government can observe it I really wonder what influence it will have towards the fight and their lives! Let's see what's next but boy this sure is good!
May 23, 2014 10:30 PM
Apr 2013
Ok it's good quality but it's just too depressing -___-
Jun 8, 2014 7:51 PM
Oct 2013
I made a big mistake watching "Say I Love You" and then going straight into this series. Such a polar opposite that I don't know how to react. This episode was so heavy I don't know how I'm going to get through this series....but I'm so intrigued that I can't stop. I'm really hoping they find a wait to beat this cycle (where the pilot dies) or else my tear ducts will be empty and my dreams will be nightmares the next couple of nights O_O
Aug 6, 2014 7:13 PM
Feb 2013
This was a good episode, but with fan subs, I don't know how reliable the information is here.
Jan 22, 2015 9:23 PM
Apr 2013
Hey, guys, I think you might be losing some really important details here...
First, I understand Kako's reaction when he understood they're all gonna die. Such information can seriously make anyone go mad. But I think Kako already had some pretty heavy problems with his mother/sister. In episode 3, when his sister came to pick in up at summer school, they were already fighting; Kako even told her to shup up.
When his mother opened his room door, she was very frightened. She wanted to let him know she was there for him, but she didn't even open half the door! She also had a bruise right under her left eye. Was it his father that did that? Or could it be Kako himself?
When he closed the door on her face, she fell - and he didn't even show remorse or guilt. He simply doesn't care.

As for ''being a virgin'', let's not forget it was not once mentioned in any other episode that he thinks about sex constantly. It was mentioned only once in this episode that he and Chizu might have problems, but Kako never seemed to do things that could point out to him wanting to be with her. Remember who put those things in his head (or only made it worse)? That's right. Dung Beetle. He also said he likes seeing them angry and crying. Which reminds me of the white noises: what if it's all a big, twisted reality show?

Speaking of Dung Beetle, he certainly knows lots of things - and sees himself as superior to everyone. He didn't hesitate in showing up in front of the government. Oh, and by the way, it's really cool to see the government is in the middle of all this. Normally, it's simply forgotten.

About Chizu: I do think she was lying when she said she had sex with the teacher. She was just toying with Kako. Then again, I'm not 100% sure; it's normal for some kids/teens to admire teachers, mistake that for love and them such adults take advantage of them. Maybe this is also what happened with Chizu as well.

Now, I'm quite worried with that preview... Kako is really out of control.
I'm afraid his fight will be a huge mess.

OH, PS: The Captain seems to have some relationship with Kana-chan.
Also, I think Kako was so absorbed with his thoughts that he didn't even notice the voice calling him. He only saw his pilot mark when he saw his reflection.
cocochandesuJan 22, 2015 9:28 PM
Mar 13, 2015 3:00 PM

Feb 2015
I find Kaku's reaction normal. It's the other kids' reactions i find odd. You'll probably die soon and you don't even know why all these things've been happening. To make things worse that arrogant Dung Beetle isn't helping either.
Finding out that you are going to die soon gives freedom as well. With Dung Beetle's manipulation, Kaku wanted to use this freedom to get laid but failed. Now it looks like his time's run out.
Aug 17, 2015 1:36 PM
Jun 2014
tangellofello said:
Pretty heavy episode.

But if the kids had to die, Kako should be next. Couldn't stand how he treated his partners and his mother. On top of it he's a half-stalker who has sex on his mind for a kid of his age. Dumbass of a kid.

I'm hoping the kids figure out how to bypass dying after piloting Zearth. That way, I can feel a tad bit more hopeful for this series to turn into one that doesn't screw with my insides (should any show really allow children to face death and be forced to accept it? Its too twisted and I don't know if I can bare the Writer's twisted mentality).

If you didn't have sex on your mind when you were in the 7th grade, then i can only conclude you hit puberty pretty late.
Oct 17, 2015 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
cyruz said:
This episode raised my rating for Bokurano. I loved it. Was a kind of heavy episode, didn't expect it to turn out like this. Definitely looking forward to more!

Same here, I was not convinced to this anime, but now it seems to be really good series, I hope it will be as good as it is now till end.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 4, 2016 10:28 PM

Mar 2016
I do feel bad for him, he was being an asshole to his mom but who's to say he's normally like this or if its just from the stress of everything going on. Knowing you're going to die...I'm sure most of them will have their freakout moments.
Apr 1, 2017 9:54 AM
Jan 2012
Anyways, on the episode, I don't see what is so bad about having something with a teacher and all the criticism towards Chizu feel really weird to me. A girl can't have sex with someone without being called a whore, it seems.

If anything, Kako should be criticized for being a really creepy stalker. Hopefully he will not sexually abuse Chizu, though given the tone of the series, I feel he might.

Also, very interesting to see authorities trying to "help" somehow, though as they are noticing, they are not of much help.
Jul 16, 2017 9:59 AM
May 2017
tainteddonut said:
Kayrhandros said:

I thought so too. Dung Beetle obviously has a master but who is it? I want to guess that it's the guy that first got the kids to sign up but in that episode he seemed apologetic in his last scene as if he was just another pawn. It was never confirmed if he was dead or alive though so if he really is the creator he may be able to bypass that whole &quot;die from piloting&quot; effect.

I don't know, in the song he looked pretty evil to me. And he could have just said he was sorry cause he knew all of them were going to die? But I guess he could also be a pawn to Dung Beetle - that thing is cray cray. He also didn't die from piloting so that's a bit confusing.
Aug 11, 2017 7:51 PM
Mar 2016
great episode. kept me hooked on the show
Apr 30, 2018 10:43 AM

Apr 2014
Man, these kids are turning into a real bunch of assholes.

Would love to see kako die :^)
Jan 6, 2021 1:03 AM
Apr 2016
Everyone is having a crisis now that they're forced to eat up the fact that they'll soon die - I don't blame them, anyone would feel like they do. That said, while we were hinted that those guys were investigating the matter, I still didn't expect it to take this turn - even Dung Beetle ended up meeting the officials.
Apr 29, 2022 1:24 PM

Nov 2016
The cat is out of the bag, time to panic and for a futile and unconvincing attempt at optimism. Nice try Maki, but even a cheerful girl like you can't believe that there's hope. The best thing to do is brace yourself, even if that's easier said than done. If someone told me I that I will die soon I would be like "Fuck that shit, in Gantz you have at least a fair chance"

The first segment had some more characterisation again. Nakama and Daichi who looked at the situation rationally and accepted it dutifully stood out to me. Moreover, the reason why Ushiro hates and mistreats his sister was revealed. He blames her for their mothers death. This has a lot of potenial in terms of character conflict. Whether he's piloting Zearth while Kana is still alive or after her death, it should get interesting.

Kako is up next, tho and even before knowing that he was already not being able to cope with the prospect of imminent death as calmly as the others. He's a spoiled brat that tries to act cool and picks on weaker ones like Kirie to feel better about himself or when he's frustrated. What's more, we've seen enough to deduce that he’s beating his meek mom. There's no better explanation as to where she got that bruise on her cheek from. The sadistic Koyemshi was heartlessly messing with the emotionally unstable boy for sport and the situation at home is pretty shitty with a indifferent sister on top of that. That must be especially painful in a situation where you usually would spend time with your loved ones. To make matters even worse, he's the first one who has not just to fight the enemy, but also the fear of death. "Why do I have to die?" Why, indeed. Keeping that in mind, it's logical that the mangaka gave us such an extreme case that highlights how fear and hopelessness reduce the character to nothing more than a selfish and pathetic child. I almost feel sorry for him and to be fair, that's how I imagine a teenager in that situation to react (Minus the rampage at home) He calmed down and went for the one thing many virgins eh I mean guys like Kako have in mind before they die, pussy.

His attempt to enthuse Chizu to ride him like it's his last day on earth is as fruitless as trying to escape the game. For real, to achieve the latter seems more feasable in his state. Nohing is more of a turn off than some desperate guy, but Jesus, give this guy same pity sex. I guess we will find out about her relationship with her teacher when it's her turn.

The defense bureau made contact with the children. Such support is reassuring and inspired hope for a brief moment. I thought that entire scene was a bit more lighthearted in general. Information was exchanged and Koyemshi was invited to the party. He let the adults knew their place, only Tanaka showed a speck of wits and knew how to please by knowing her place. You would think all people in their position are supposed to read the room, but this is the world of fiction where some characters have to be dumbed down for others to shine. Seriously, who in their right mind would try to threaten an alien you know virtually nothing about with a gun. When arrogance and stupidity have a cross-over 💀 I remember Tanaka from the opening btw, so she will most definitely play an important role. This hopefully won't be limited to emotional support for the children. I could see her end up sacrificing herself.

Would be nice if the military could come up with an alternative fuel that replaces human life force, but I guess that would render the whole story pointless. Nah, we want to see the full misery.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2023 3:54 PM

Dec 2022
Kako seems to have a screw loose as well. All the craziest and most impulsive kids are getting eliminated first, it seems. I can't complain, it means they have less screentime to shout constantly.

Got to say, Kokopelli is likeable. He's clearly enjoying messing with these kids and witnessing their reactions to unfolding events, and he doesn't beat around the bush when it comes to informing them of the implications of their situation.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.