Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 3 Discussion


Jul 29, 2017 12:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3708
JOELbedulla said:
windeen-windy said:


Arina(or was it Arima?) Wasn't dead. Not physically, anyway.
No idea what your talking about, there. She was dead on the inside, yeah- that is certain. And, yeah, to a child, its very likely, that that, along with everything else she saw in her home, was going to kill her spirit and mind. She didn't seem to have a really good emotional strength, the attack was the last straw.
But, I dont know where you saw her physically dead.

And, ANYWAY!
"It's too unbelievable"... What is, exactly? That a person might die from violence?
A really brutal episode of rape, could kill someone, if it involved other violence, and the victim had no medical help. Even with medical help, in really bad cases, the person might still die.

As for the statement before the comments about just her.

This comment, is what I am referring to:
"Jigoku Shoujo needs to be a little realistic at times, I refuse to believe that there are mean people like this in the world."

...... You're serious?

First off:
Its about a girl who damns people to hell at the request of others.....

Second: I'm sorry, but if you don't believe that there are people like this in the world, then you must be very sheltered and very young and very naïve.
By the time I was 8- I knew there were evil people in the world.

Hell, by that age, I had been driven to suicidal thoughts as well as a near nervous brake down at the age of 10, when my mother figured out how to get me out of the situation that was causing it.

So, I really cannot stand stupidly naïve COMENTS(not saying your stupid, there is a diff, smart people say stupid things often), and naïve people who say things like that and think the world is a happy little place with no evil or as you put it: "mean" people in it.

I'm sorry if that's being too harsh.

But that mindset is likely to be harmful to yourself, or others in the future.

I would not wish any kind of abuse on anyone, but I would really love to slap all of the naïve people I run into, (who should not be naïve, if they have watched at least 5-10 anime's above the age ratings of hello kitty and pokemon) with reality and knowledge.

Yes, Hell Girl was being real, in this episode. This was the first out of this season that was actually real (the first tried to be, but didn't make the cut) and the second was just.... Weird.
Now, as for everyone else who is outraged by rape in this series.

You must not have seen the police chief's daughter, Akie, get raped in the 3rd season. She was the friend of Yuzuki, who was suppose to work as the new Hell Girl. And, anyway, where is she? That sad little girl doesn't look like Yuzuki- I expected her to be training under Ai, or something.


I am so sorry that you think I'm naïve, sheltered and young.
I was really badly bullied and I know what bullying feels nice. No, I don't feel safe and protected every moment, but I don't want to look at life negatively. I agree that life is unfair sometimes and bad people exist, but this episode was shit. Can we please accept this?
You are right when you say that the world is not a happy place, but that's why we watch anime right? To escape reality.


Then you shouldn't request reality in an anime.
I was bullied and abused to the point of being suicidal between the ages of 7 and 10), and left, to this day, with SEVERE fear of people and equally bad PTSD.
The only way for some people to survive that, is to learn that there's as many, if not more than, bad people, as there is good. The good ones are harder to find.

And no. I watch anime to not get away from reality. I do it because, for the most part, it makes me feel better (or in the case of shows like hell girl - reminds me that my issues are not as bad as they could be).
Anime, is actually one of the things that pulled me out of my suicidal thoughts, after my mother removed me from school and started home schooling me.

I had a case of Stockholm syndrome hit me hard for the first year, I didn't know what to do with myself when I was no longer being physically beaten by the teachers and students, or mentally and emotionally tormented, by them, day in and out anymore.
I actually missed them, and cried because of it.

I couldn't function without my mom telling me to get up, take a bath, eat, sleep, go out and play and so on. I just sat like a catatonic doll when no one told me to do something. There were times when I got in trouble just to be scolded, and begged my mother to tell me what to do when I was lost. It took me 3-4 years to get my free will back, because I had just been broken.
I had a steak knife at school, the last time I was there, and had been threatening to slip my wrists, or stab someone if they touched me again.

As soon as I had walked into that school, that day(Valentine's day, 1995), I was physically and emotionally attacked by both students, and my teacher. And it was all just the last straw.
Yet, I couldn't function without that and thought I might go insane for missing it all. And therapists couldn't deal with me. Medicating me made the symptoms worse, not better and agrivayed health problems.

The anime (Sailor moon, Pokemon, DBZ and Digimon, at first) helped me focus on something else, I was obsessed for years, I needed it to survive, that's how messed up my head was.
I was like a drug addict.
I was seriously addicted. And likely still am at age 32, but I can go weeks without watching much anime (lol, and a few days without any).

And, I'm sorry if I insulted you, but refusing to acknowledge the evil in the world, for wanting to see the good, is naïve and harmful (if large numbers of people think that way). You can acknowledge both of them, and accept that they are both very real.
For every good person, I believe there are at lease 4 bad, and its likely a self defense mechanism on my part. I don't trust or distrust anyone until I can read them well enough. Or until they give me a reason, to do so.
Modified by windeen-windy, Jul 29, 2017 12:31 PM
 
Jul 29, 2017 12:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4362
Oooh... what a lovely family!
 
Jul 29, 2017 1:05 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 546
windeen-windy said:
JOELbedulla said:


I am so sorry that you think I'm naïve, sheltered and young.
I was really badly bullied and I know what bullying feels nice. No, I don't feel safe and protected every moment, but I don't want to look at life negatively. I agree that life is unfair sometimes and bad people exist, but this episode was shit. Can we please accept this?
You are right when you say that the world is not a happy place, but that's why we watch anime right? To escape reality.


Then you shouldn't request reality in an anime.
I was bullied and abused to the point of being suicidal between the ages of 7 and 10), and left, to this day, with SEVERE fear of people and equally bad PTSD.
The only way for some people to survive that, is to learn that there's as many, if not more than, bad people, as there is good. The good ones are harder to find.

And no. I watch anime to not get away from reality. I do it because, for the most part, it makes me feel better (or in the case of shows like hell girl - reminds me that my issues are not as bad as they could be).
Anime, is actually one of the things that pulled me out of my suicidal thoughts, after my mother removed me from school and started home schooling me.

I had a case of Stockholm syndrome hit me hard for the first year, I didn't know what to do with myself when I was no longer being physically beaten by the teachers and students, or mentally and emotionally tormented, by them, day in and out anymore.
I actually missed them, and cried because of it.

I couldn't function without my mom telling me to get up, take a bath, eat, sleep, go out and play and so on. I just sat like a catatonic doll when no one told me to do something. There were times when I got in trouble just to be scolded, and begged my mother to tell me what to do when I was lost. It took me 3-4 years to get my free will back, because I had just been broken.
I had a steak knife at school, the last time I was there, and had been threatening to slip my wrists, or stab someone if they touched me again.

As soon as I had walked into that school, that day(Valentine's day, 1995), I was physically and emotionally attacked by both students, and my teacher. And it was all just the last straw.
Yet, I couldn't function without that and thought I might go insane for missing it all. And therapists couldn't deal with me. Medicating me made the symptoms worse, not better and agrivayed health problems.

The anime (Sailor moon, Pokemon, DBZ and Digimon, at first) helped me focus on something else, I was obsessed for years, I needed it to survive, that's how messed up my head was.
I was like a drug addict.
I was seriously addicted. And likely still am at age 32, but I can go weeks without watching much anime (lol, and a few days without any).

And, I'm sorry if I insulted you, but refusing to acknowledge the evil in the world, for wanting to see the good, is naïve and harmful (if large numbers of people think that way). You can acknowledge both of them, and accept that they are both very real.
For every good person, I believe there are at lease 4 bad, and its likely a self defense mechanism on my part. I don't trust or distrust anyone until I can read them well enough. Or until they give me a reason, to do so.


I'm really sorry that you've been through that. I know fellow students can be bad, but I've never heard of a teacher bullying a student physically. (It never happened to me)

But some of my teachers were racist and shouted at me for no reason. Still, your story is 100 times worse, I wish you all the best and hope you recover from this. You need to be a little optimistic though
Modified by JOELbedulla, Jul 29, 2017 1:08 PM
 
Jul 29, 2017 1:05 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 5565
World_Creator said:
I love this family lol incest, incest rape, violence, NTR, torture, bullying, dismembering, murder


Relation between cousins is not considered to be incest in many countries
 
Jul 29, 2017 2:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 292
The best episode from this season, loved it THIS IS HOW HELL GIRL SHOULD BE!
 
Jul 29, 2017 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3708
JOELbedulla said:
windeen-windy said:


Then you shouldn't request reality in an anime.
I was bullied and abused to the point of being suicidal between the ages of 7 and 10), and left, to this day, with SEVERE fear of people and equally bad PTSD.
The only way for some people to survive that, is to learn that there's as many, if not more than, bad people, as there is good. The good ones are harder to find.

And no. I watch anime to not get away from reality. I do it because, for the most part, it makes me feel better (or in the case of shows like hell girl - reminds me that my issues are not as bad as they could be).
Anime, is actually one of the things that pulled me out of my suicidal thoughts, after my mother removed me from school and started home schooling me.

I had a case of Stockholm syndrome hit me hard for the first year, I didn't know what to do with myself when I was no longer being physically beaten by the teachers and students, or mentally and emotionally tormented, by them, day in and out anymore.
I actually missed them, and cried because of it.

I couldn't function without my mom telling me to get up, take a bath, eat, sleep, go out and play and so on. I just sat like a catatonic doll when no one told me to do something. There were times when I got in trouble just to be scolded, and begged my mother to tell me what to do when I was lost. It took me 3-4 years to get my free will back, because I had just been broken.
I had a steak knife at school, the last time I was there, and had been threatening to slip my wrists, or stab someone if they touched me again.

As soon as I had walked into that school, that day(Valentine's day, 1995), I was physically and emotionally attacked by both students, and my teacher. And it was all just the last straw.
Yet, I couldn't function without that and thought I might go insane for missing it all. And therapists couldn't deal with me. Medicating me made the symptoms worse, not better and agrivayed health problems.

The anime (Sailor moon, Pokemon, DBZ and Digimon, at first) helped me focus on something else, I was obsessed for years, I needed it to survive, that's how messed up my head was.
I was like a drug addict.
I was seriously addicted. And likely still am at age 32, but I can go weeks without watching much anime (lol, and a few days without any).

And, I'm sorry if I insulted you, but refusing to acknowledge the evil in the world, for wanting to see the good, is naïve and harmful (if large numbers of people think that way). You can acknowledge both of them, and accept that they are both very real.
For every good person, I believe there are at lease 4 bad, and its likely a self defense mechanism on my part. I don't trust or distrust anyone until I can read them well enough. Or until they give me a reason, to do so.


I'm really sorry that you've been through that. I know fellow students can be bad, but I've never heard of a teacher bullying a student physically. (It never happened to me)

But some of my teachers were racist and shouted at me for no reason. Still, your story is 100 times worse, I wish you all the best and hope you recover from this. You need to be a little optimistic though


Well, its been 22 years, and I doubt I'll get over it, but I am better.
If i tell people, they usually greatly dissbelieve me. However, Abuse by teachers happens (or used to, anyway, I think it still does, actually) quite a lot, if the student has an issue that the teacher doesn't like (in my case, it was dyslexia, and I had an accent from a different part of the country, than from the teacher's and student's accents) and I've seen it to a lesser extent in anime's.

In my case, they were stupid people who did not want to tolerate or understand. It was my whole class, with a few exceptions, who ignored me for self preservation's sake, and it was 4-5 different teachers - including the principal in one school (didn't help that we moved a lot 17 times in my first 7 years) and spanned about 3 normal classes and one special class for students with learning differences.
Other teachers tried to help, they were repremanced because they weren't my main or special end teacher.

In any case, as I've said, it's been 22 years, now.

I'm not likely to be more optimistic.

We'll just agree to disagree, I suppose.
I think doubting about how evil people can be is dangerous (to the person with that mindset (not to mention, somewhat ignorant(not calling you ignorant, just the mindset) as well), and to those around them) and naïve, and you don't.
Modified by windeen-windy, Jul 29, 2017 2:49 PM
 
Jul 29, 2017 2:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
This episode was extremely painful to watch, yet at the same time, it was extremely well done.
Animation issues aside (I do not really judge based on their effort in this category because the story matters much much more to me.), I think the premise for this episode is pretty realistic, although it may seem ridiculous af.

Each and every of this situation happens in all corners of the world, but they just all had to come together to make one "perfect" family with personality issues. As someone who has observed these scenarios for quite a fair bit, it does hit me hard on the inside.

I'm also unsure whether Arina got raped.
But I assume they want us to just guess whether it did happen or not. I don't think the animators are THAT lazy to interpret the scene incorrectly.

1. Door seemed to be in a position where it can't be unlocked from the outside.
2. Arina's clothes were still on, paying more attention to her pants (correct me if im wrong, what I'm seeing is pants.) So the possibility of her getting raped and wearing the clothes and pants back with her expression at that point of time, seemed unlikely. Perhaps it could be the trauma from him attempting to break in for ages. I don't think we'll ever know, we can only speculate.
3. The toilet paper rolls being pulled excessively. This might be a hint to what has happened on the night. Maybe she cleaned herself up (maybe.)

EDIT: Nvm, after looking through the scene, her face was unscathed during the ordeal at night, but her face had multiple bruises in the morning when Akira looked through the door. So that's most probably a confirmation :/.

5/5 for the theme that Jigoku Shoujo should have always been portraying.
 
Jul 29, 2017 3:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 23448
This is what I call justice.
 
Jul 29, 2017 7:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 100
WOW! This is easily the most intense episode so far and is one of the most unsettling and messed up storyline since some of the season 1 episodes.

Its amazing that after 3 whole seasons the writers can still come up with something original like this. There is a lot going on in this episode so I'll just make a little list:

-If almost the whole family is rotten who do you send to hell because everyone only gets one.

-The plan to try and pawn off sending others to hell has only been done a few times in this series but never to my knowledge has it been done so openly (I think in season 3 there was a teacher who tried to trick a schoolgirl into sending someone to hell). This is probably the first time that the idea has been proposed so openly.

-If you are going to hell anyway then hey what does it matter, be a monster, you have nothing to lose. It seems that is what Akira decided at the end of the episode. Its almost like he decides that if he is going to go to hell anyway he might as well murder as many people that he judges to be bad before he goes.

Really dark episode overall and easily the best episode of season 4 so far.
 
Jul 29, 2017 7:35 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 63
I feel bad for the little sister and for the girl who is getting munrder by the older brother so what is he just going to be killing bullies for the rest of his life he even said that if they don't find the girls body then they will get a way with it the older brother is so fucked up
 
Jul 29, 2017 7:58 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 1785
thepath said:
World_Creator said:
I love this family lol incest, incest rape, violence, NTR, torture, bullying, dismembering, murder


Relation between cousins is not considered to be incest in many countries


Well shit, my country does, and even the meaning of the word "incest" globally that would be incest but yeah I get ya I respect every countries sovereignty
 
Jul 29, 2017 8:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
this episode gave me so much anxiety im shaking
 
Jul 30, 2017 1:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3347
I'm only here for the comments.

Lizyea said:
lol its so fun for me to read your guys comments.

This episode was fun.

They are almost exacly like my family only with slight changes.

None of my parents came home, but married their lover and have kids with them now, each living in a different country. They send me money thou
Also my mum went into jail for her lover. He was in jail too.

I have 1 big brother. Who wasnt as kind as him. More like the big sis of them

I was raped by someone outside of my family.

I did not become a murderer :,D and I wont.
That boy is weak.

Its almost like reading a review of ones life :D

Dont pity people because of their past. Thats not exacly helping anyone.
Whats in the past is in the past and what will be in the future is decided by oneself

cheers

PS: Also check out my IG Elize_ye to see how awesome I turned out
Im quite awesome
srsly :D


More power to ya.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
 
Jul 30, 2017 4:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 32
The story was sloppily written, the art was terrible, i have a feeling this episode was completely outsourced. This is not the Hell Girl we loved and deserved. The previous two episodes were good, not a piece of art, but still good. This one though...
 
Jul 30, 2017 8:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1661
Holy shit. Can people really be that evil. Like seriously.

But tell me something, if the option of just killing people is there, why use Jigoku Shoujo at all? You're going to hell for sure for sending that disgusting cousin to hell, but you could've just poisioned his food or stabbed him in his sleep.

Please don't tell me you're scared of jail. 1) you're a minor. 2) is it really worse than going to hell? 3) if you're gonna be a serial killer you can still get caught.

Or better yet, CALL THE POLICE. CALL THEM.
 
Jul 30, 2017 12:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4362
Inugirlz said:
Holy shit. Can people really be that evil. Like seriously.

But tell me something, if the option of just killing people is there, why use Jigoku Shoujo at all? You're going to hell for sure for sending that disgusting cousin to hell, but you could've just poisioned his food or stabbed him in his sleep.

Please don't tell me you're scared of jail. 1) you're a minor. 2) is it really worse than going to hell? 3) if you're gonna be a serial killer you can still get caught.

Or better yet, CALL THE POLICE. CALL THEM.

I think it's realer than we want to recognize. I was in a High School for social management (it's like, a normal high school, but with a focus on social works etc...) and we met many social workers from different NPOs. Holy shit, those (life) stories... everything from child prostitution to people, who set their dogs on fire "for fun". I'm ready to believe absolute everything since then. >.<
 
Jul 30, 2017 12:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 394
seekster said:

It's amazing that after 3 whole seasons the writers can still come up with something original like this.


Original? Not at all. Literally every theme in this episode has been explored in the previous seasons.
 
Jul 30, 2017 2:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
yeah.... I'm glad the series is back. but that family was garbage especially that cousin
 
Jul 30, 2017 6:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 100
Mouloxas said:
seekster said:

It's amazing that after 3 whole seasons the writers can still come up with something original like this.


Original? Not at all. Literally every theme in this episode has been explored in the previous seasons.


Full disclosure: I have seen every single episode of Hell Girl (most of them more than once). Many of the theme or tropes in this episode were touched on in previous episodes yes but if you read my entire post I outlined what was touched on and what was new.

As I said some ideas like the idea of trying to get someone else to use Hell Correspondence for you so that you get revenge without getting sent to hell has been explored in the Baba-Sensei episode in season 3 (I think it was season 3) but this was the first time I believe where someone actually gathered together people with grudges against the people he wanted to send to hell and flat out tried to get a sort of hell girl pact going (sort of like a suicide pact but instead of you killing yourself you send people to hell and then later go to hell yourself).

Two things in this episode that I am pretty sure are completely new is having almost an entire family of people that all are scumbags to the point where Akira can't decide who to send to hell. I remember watching this episode and at one point wondering who he would choose...and then the cousin moved in and the choice became an easy one.

The other thing that this episode did that was original was actually have two people plan out what they were going to do after pulling the strings on the cousin and sister. Granted there have been episodes in the past (such as Girl in the Tower with the hacker girl) where after sending someone to hell the person who used Hell Correspondence turns out to be bad themselves or just gives up on life. Akira and his buddy though adopt and almost Kira mindset. That is that they decide since we are going to hell anyway lets remove as many people who cause suffering as we can. Thats part of what made this episode so unsettling.
 
Jul 31, 2017 1:39 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 394
seekster said:
Mouloxas said:


Original? Not at all. Literally every theme in this episode has been explored in the previous seasons.


Full disclosure: I have seen every single episode of Hell Girl (most of them more than once). Many of the themes or tropes in this episode were touched on in previous episodes yes but if you read my entire post I outlined what was touched on and what was new.

As I said some ideas like the idea of trying to get someone else to use Hell Correspondence for you so that you get revenge without getting sent to hell has been explored in the Baba-Sensei episode in season 3 (I think it was season 3) but this was the first time I believe where someone actually gathered together people with grudges against the people he wanted to send to hell and flat out tried to get a sort of hell girl pact going (sort of like a suicide pact but instead of you killing yourself you send people to hell and then later go to hell yourself)


There was the episode with the novel writer (where the murders in his book were being recreated in real life) that got together with a journalist and a victim's sister to send the people they hated to hell. Granted, the writer himself also used Hell Link unlike the boy in this episode that only tried to get other people to do it for him.

seekster said:
Two things in this episode that I am pretty sure are completely new is having almost an entire family of people that all are scumbags to the point where Akira can't decide who to send to hell. I remember watching this episode and at one point wondering who he would choose... and then the cousin moved in and the choice became an easy one.


There was the episode within a small island back in the first season where the aunt murdered her sister and tried to kill her niece and her boyfriend just for wanting to leave the island. Also, the episode with the doll maker that wanted her son's wife to act like a puppet. The wife sent her to hell and it turned out that her husband was also insane and just wanted to make her a doll. And the episode with the mother that only cared about her dead son (the one where the son died in a traffic accident and the mother tried to get the government to fix the road or something like that) and in the end the family got destroyed and her daughter went insane. Another episode with a fucked up family was the one where when the mother got pregnant she stopped caring about her adopted son (or not blood related if i remember correctly) and started beating him up daily to relieve stress about her pregnancy and his father tried to drown him in a lake because he thought the mother wouldn't be able to raise two children. In the end, the little boy used Hell Link to kill the unborn baby. Then again, all of these examples are not exactly similar to this episode.

As for not knowing which people should be send to hell, while not in a family, the first episode of the second season had a girl bullied by her entire class and not knowing who to have ferried to hell and in the end it turned out it was her psycho teacher that was instigating the bullying. Even the first episode of the current season had a similar theme. Again, you are right, it isn't exactly the same.

seekster said:
The other thing that this episode did that was original was actually have two people plan out what they were going to do after pulling the strings on the cousin and sister. Granted there have been episodes in the past (such as Girl in the Tower with the hacker girl) where after sending someone to hell the person who used Hell Correspondence turns out to be bad themselves or just gives up on life. Akira and his buddy though adopt an almost Kira mindset. That is that they decide since we are going to hell anyway lets remove as many people who cause suffering as we can. That's part of what made this episode so unsettling.


There was also this episode where the chef lost his entire family to a traffic accident (other than his daughter that was in a coma for many years) and he decided to kill every single person that didn't respect his grieving (some guys that were joking around on live television when they were broadcasting from the site of the accident) with his own hands. He planned to kill as many as he could and then have the last guy sent to hell by Ai because he was slowly dying from cancer i think it was. Another episode with similar circumstances was the one where a stalker learned that the girl he loved was going to be raped by a friend of her boyfriend with her boyfriend's approval to boot. The boyfriend got sent to hell and the other guy was murdered by the stalker's hands.

You will have noticed that none of the episodes i mentioned are entirely similar to the one we are discussing, but the same themes are undeniably present. My point is, you are not entirely wrong in the sense that they did not straight out copy past episodes, but it's not like this episode is wholly original either.
Modified by Mouloxas, Jul 31, 2017 2:28 AM
 
Jul 31, 2017 7:39 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5
wtf?wth?damn!!
It's the words I keep saying in this episode.
Holy Shit, what a crazy family.
Modified by neolust, Jul 31, 2017 7:43 AM
 
Jul 31, 2017 9:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
I felt so bad for the little sister, I didn't expect her to get raped. This episode certainly gave me the chills. I was so worried about the two younger siblings since the first few minutes of the episode where Granny stabbed the wife with her fork.
 
Jul 31, 2017 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 4559
I believe this episode must be one of the most dark/sad. That whole family deserve the hell! In the end, even the good boy turned into a psychopath...
 
Jul 31, 2017 4:56 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 100
I really feel like we are splitting hairs here.

Mouloxas said:
You will have noticed that none of the episodes i mentioned are entirely similar to the one we are discussing, but the same themes are undeniably present. My point is, you are not entirely wrong in the sense that they did not straight out copy past episodes, but it's not like this episode is wholly original either.


Which is what I meant in my original post. When I said original I didn't mean completely brand new. Rather I meant the writers found some new twists to old tricks so to speak.

Its been a long time since I have seen the novel writer one but I do remember the basic gist of it. The main difference here is that the boy (Akira) is unwilling to risk going to hell himself at first and so he tries to pawn it off on others (on a side note I love how basically EVERYONE in the Hell Girl universe seems to know about Hell Correspondence or at least is friends with someone who does).

OOoh bringing up some really good episodes there. As you said those examples are not entirely the same. For most of those episodes the victim (ie the person who accessed Hell Correspondence) sort of already had an idea about who they wanted to send to hell from the word go (in the case of the island girl and the puppet maker's daughter in law...love the twist ending on the puppet maker one).

If you are referring to the one where the girl and her father get really into politics to the point of neglecting the mother that is one of my favorites. If you will let me go on a tangent for a moment wasn't it the mother who ended up pulling the string on her husband. I remember the girl accessed Hell Correspondence but her mother either found out and took the fall for her or she also accessed it and pulled the string first (then again I could be confusing it for another episode). Also I don't remember the girl going insanse at the end of that one.
 
Jul 31, 2017 5:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 287
That was a fucked up family...

event the brother gettin more fucked up
 
Jul 31, 2017 7:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 179
Since Futakomori this franchise became mostly garbage with a few good episodes here and there, but this is easily the worst one. Terrible edgy writting relying only on shock value and an awful animation and direction. At this point I'm just watching for the laughs.
 
Aug 1, 2017 12:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
I remember watching this slow-paced show since I was a teenager. For example, I felt sad when some puppies were killed and I felt like the hatery was deserved. I remember getting excited when Enma was about to execute the revenge. Her grandma called her and said "your kimono is ready"; she boarded her creepy Wanyuudo carriage and tortured those who behaved in horrible ways. After that, we saw a calm Emna paddling in a river as she passed through the gates of hell.

This 3 Jigoku Shoujo episodes have been Enma's torture for us, the viewers. I blame 2 things:
1) We have way too many useless characters. Yamawaro, Kikuri (she was cool at first, but now she's just annoying) and that new girl who just says "omg this is bad guys". We even lost good characters in the process.
2)They are trying way too hard to make you hate someone. I mean, a family who's evil. All of the family is evil. Another girl just punched her friend and got sent to hell.

When I saw the opening I thought the animation was going to be better, but we get horrible faces, horrible drawings, horrible pacing (we don't even see tortures anymore, Enma just paddles quickly so the episode can end) and horrible writing. They should have just ended with the last season, there was no need to continue this story if they were not going to do a good job.
 
Aug 1, 2017 12:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 394
seekster said:
I really feel like we are splitting hairs here.

Mouloxas said:
You will have noticed that none of the episodes i mentioned are entirely similar to the one we are discussing, but the same themes are undeniably present. My point is, you are not entirely wrong in the sense that they did not straight out copy past episodes, but it's not like this episode is wholly original either.


If you are referring to the one where the girl and her father get really into politics to the point of neglecting the mother that is one of my favorites. If you will let me go on a tangent for a moment wasn't it the mother who ended up pulling the string on her husband. I remember the girl accessed Hell Correspondence but her mother either found out and took the fall for her or she also accessed it and pulled the string first (then again I could be confusing it for another episode). Also I don't remember the girl going insane at the end of that one.


I meant the one where the mother is crazy from the start, she only had eyes for her son (Tatsuya was his name i think) to the point of ignoring everyone else around her. As for the episode you mentioned, the mother had the doll for a long time but was waiting to see if her husband would return to his senses after the elections.

And yes, we really are splitting hairs...
 
Aug 1, 2017 1:09 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 394
KuroKagami94 said:
These 3 Jigoku Shoujo episodes have been Enma's torture for us, the viewers. I blame 2 things:
1) We have way too many useless characters. We even lost good characters in the process.
2) They are trying way too hard to make you hate someone. I mean, a family who's evil. All of the family is evil. Another girl just punched her friend and got sent to hell.

When I saw the opening i thought the animation was going to be better, but we get horrible faces, horrible drawings, horrible pacing (we don't even see tortures anymore, Enma just paddles quickly so the episode can end) and horrible writing. They should have just ended with the last season, there was no need to continue this story if they were not going to do a good job.


Not that i disagree with you, but all these problems apart from horrible animation and art have pretty much been present since season 3. Honestly, there was no need to continue the story after Futakomori, much less Mitsuganae. I am only looking forward to the reminiscence episodes from this season personally.
Modified by Mouloxas, Aug 1, 2017 1:33 PM
 
Aug 1, 2017 4:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 13220
I feel like puking after this
 
Aug 1, 2017 10:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 190
wow they went crazy with this one. They might have gone a little over the top with the amount of insanity for one family but there could be a case like this.

The animation though this time was SO ROUGH. I've never seen hell girl's quality drop this low. There was a time when the mom was eating toast for breakfast that they didn't even animate the eating that well. I can't blame them and understand why that might be but the animation quality is one of the worst in this series yet. I realize they have to make Ai look pretty but damn.
 
Aug 2, 2017 9:43 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 22
YukiYukiNyan said:

I'm also unsure whether Arina got raped.
But I assume they want us to just guess whether it did happen or not. I don't think the animators are THAT lazy to interpret the scene incorrectly.

1. Door seemed to be in a position where it can't be unlocked from the outside.
2. Arina's clothes were still on, paying more attention to her pants (correct me if im wrong, what I'm seeing is pants.) So the possibility of her getting raped and wearing the clothes and pants back with her expression at that point of time, seemed unlikely. Perhaps it could be the trauma from him attempting to break in for ages. I don't think we'll ever know, we can only speculate.
3. The toilet paper rolls being pulled excessively. This might be a hint to what has happened on the night. Maybe she cleaned herself up (maybe.)

EDIT: Nvm, after looking through the scene, her face was unscathed during the ordeal at night, but her face had multiple bruises in the morning when Akira looked through the door. So that's most probably a confirmation :/.


Worry not, she was not raped.

The marks under her eyes look like those of dried tears, signs of heavy crying.
From her position, it looks like after finally being able to let go of the doorknob, she stumbled back few steps and collapsed to the ground. For the toilet paper there are few options:

1.) She could have at first tried to clean her tears but eventually given up.
2.) After collapsing to the ground, she might have, at some point, started to roll down the toilet paper just for the feeling doing something. (I don't remember what this reaction is called.)
3.) Throughout the episode it's shown that the family is not too keen of keeping their place clean. It could have been rolled out carelessly from the start. (More after the event?)

And finally, like you pointed out, the door seems be still locked. Crazy cousin never got in.
 
Aug 2, 2017 10:06 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
3) Though if u noticed when she ran inside the toilet, the toilet roll was still perfectly fine. Just saying xD
 
Aug 3, 2017 3:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 22
YukiYukiNyan said:
3) Though if u noticed when she ran inside the toilet, the toilet roll was still perfectly fine. Just saying xD


It was? Blasted, the one thing they decided to keep in orderly manner :'D Thanks for pointing it out.
 
Aug 3, 2017 8:20 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 321
I might actually be in the minority here but I felt this story in this episode was rushed. As horrific as the subject matter and characters were, I think it would have had an even greater impact with better pacing, maybe across a couple of episodes since there was so much going on (though I know that isn't usually something this show does). Also kind of missing the more bizarre Hell sequences.

I don't believe Arina was raped either as the door (despite having plenty of holes) seemed to still be closed (I may have to rewatch that section again to say for sure), either way, the stress it would have put on her would have been enough to have broken her :(
If you're going to put up a show of torture...I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage. โ€“ Furude Rika, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
 
Aug 3, 2017 12:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 43
I want sequel with these two guys playing in Dexter style games with their classmates.
 
Aug 3, 2017 5:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 8562
My mouth was stil open throughout this episode. ..OMFG
 
Aug 3, 2017 5:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 775
Does there have to be an annoying righteous character in every season? :)

The animation needs to be fixed. The only well drawn characters are the main...sometimes.
 
Aug 4, 2017 8:48 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 25
JOELbedulla said:
Jigoku Shoujo needs to be a little realistic at times, I refuse to believe that there are mean people like this in the world.


I do agree with the people who think this episode was a bit over-the-top, but I assure you abusers like this DO exist.

For instance, the older sister is a classic example of children developing antisocial behaviour due to growing up surrounded by abuse. Those kids grow up, some of them become abusers themselves, have kids, then those kids may become abusers, then have kids... and the chain continues for generations.

While I can understand why the public would want to "forget" these horrid abusers do exist, it doesn't change the truth that they in fact, do. I think you should just try and appreciate how fortunate you are for not having to deal with abuse in your life (I'm presuming here, apologies if I'm wrong).
 
Aug 4, 2017 9:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 382
Lizyea said:
lol its so fun for me to read your guys comments.

This episode was fun.

They are almost exacly like my family only with slight changes.

None of my parents came home, but married their lover and have kids with them now, each living in a different country. They send me money thou
Also my mum went into jail for her lover. He was in jail too.

I have 1 big brother. Who wasnt as kind as him. More like the big sis of them

I was raped by someone outside of my family.

I did not become a murderer :,D and I wont.
That boy is weak.

Its almost like reading a review of ones life :D

Dont pity people because of their past. Thats not exacly helping anyone.
Whats in the past is in the past and what will be in the future is decided by oneself

cheers

PS: Also check out my IG Elize_ye to see how awesome I turned out
Im quite awesome
srsly :D


Oh.My.God

Btw, you're awesome :D
 
Aug 4, 2017 12:08 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 18
Holy shit holy fuck such a mother fucking family, Hell Girl cancer is truly at its finest. To be honest, I don't know how you guys think about the realistic side of this episode, but I hereby confirm that these people actually exist, and I coud not be more terrified when knowing that the director of Jigoku Shoujo did know a bout the dark, hidden side of our society. I meanm what the fuck, there are many fucking people but they covered themselves too good. I have to rate this show 10 star for this episode alone.
 
Aug 5, 2017 7:42 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
that little sister was raped, but the animation is lazy af
 
Aug 6, 2017 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 218
The production quality was the saddest thing in this episode.
Modified by Gildesh, Aug 6, 2017 9:40 PM
 
Aug 9, 2017 5:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 31244
I don't think the Arina girl was raped even though he was attempting to rape her. She had all her clothes on and they arent even dishevelled and the holes in the door were not big enough for a hand to fit through to open the door. She was just shaken up from that because the guy was probably pounding on the door yelling at her for over an hour. Rape isnt the only thing that traumatises people especially if they are young. I don't think any writer or artist would fuck up that bad that you cant tell that's what happened.


Im usually not too picky but wow the animation was really noticeably degraded in some scenes.

Why did they make their heads pop like balloons? That makes no sense. Usually it at least fits a theme of what the grudge is about but popping like a balloon? Really? Although maybe it's symbolic of their psychological breaking under pressure caused by their families.

YukiYukiNyan said:

EDIT: Nvm, after looking through the scene, her face was unscathed during the ordeal at night, but her face had multiple bruises in the morning when Akira looked through the door. So that's most probably a confirmation :/.

5/5 for the theme that Jigoku Shoujo should have always been portraying.

She possibly hit her face on the stairs when he grabbed her leg. It almost looked like that but it seemed her chest made contact first. It takes time for bruises to form. Also she might have been hit in the face with a splinter. She has a small cut on her cheek. Yet then again the guy had bruises to his face immediately after being kicked. They made this scene way too vaguely unclear.
Modified by traed, Aug 9, 2017 5:40 AM
 
Aug 12, 2017 5:15 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7
Wait does anyone know the reason why the guys dismembered the girl at the end? So confusing
 
Aug 12, 2017 8:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1919
Azaraki said:
Wait does anyone know the reason why the guys dismembered the girl at the end? So confusing


She was one of the bullies accompanying the cousins beating up the older teenage dude, and it seems they became serial killing vigilantes?


OT:

Holy crap, I cannot even remember any of their names. The concept was somewhat interesting, but I was just utterly confused and apathetic, with a broken suspension of disbelief, ranging from "the police do not care about domestic disputes" to "Let us invite two grown adults and a teenage even though we are children to discuss damning ourselves to damn other people" to "We won't be suspected of murder if there isn't a body".

I mean, for fuck sake, Habeaus Corpus can only go so far until you definitely prove a crime took place.

The final kick in the teeth was when the brother and the bullied guy became serial killers in a shack by the river, while his younger sister, catatonic from her rape, in the ruins of their house by herself, and I am like "Well....why don't you get her some help or call police?" Asshole.

Fairly sure there were episodes of Hell Girl where....

-Someone was unable to call police, or convinced it would not help. (Baseball player episode and Girl stalked by Police Chief)

-Where they did, but they have been legally found not guilty, despite any actual guilt done.

-Nothing illegal took place.

And yes, there are families as messed up as this, which is why I am even more furious when the show took such a concept and used it in the most superficial way. This may be in part due to the amount of assholes in this episode, but nothing felt realistic with the family dynamic, especially the fact that a dinner scene can take place, and everyone was at face value, just "bad", with the brother narrating things he just could not know, from the affairs to the beatings> Everyone has such a hair trigger temper at the slightest provocation I wonder why the fuck were there even kids in the first place, or how did they get married, or anything?

It also senseless. Oh, this old senile grandmother in law stabbed me, and I will not take any legal actions I could certainly take, but I will slap my daughter for asking me if I was okay, because she "pities" me.

The temperament and continuous actions just broke it. I would have preferred a family history concerning the siblings, but nope.

Why summon Ai and ask for advice? You think she cares, given her stoic demeanor?

With the animated sequence of the mother falling backwards from the punch, to the gross difference in details between seasons, to overwhelmingly generic damnation scene for the cousins that was not long enough, I hated this episode. It is fucking terrible, and greatly reminds me of Akame Ga Kill and Mirai Nikki's terribleness at handling subjects. Not sure how anyone can like this episode at all, but I feel it is due to the edge that gives the illusion of mature respect and handling.

I am still surprised that the 4th episode was good enough for me that this series slipped by with a 5 for now.


 
Aug 13, 2017 12:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 296
Now this episode was some good classic Jigoku Shoujo of the past, all kinds of fucked up. Sad thing is that are news articles of families that messed up in Japan (or anywhere really) so it was side social commentary action happening too.

They really need to fix the art quality though, I don't remember Season 1-3 having such "QUALITY" faces. Even episode 1 was bad and that was the premiere, wtf usually you at least try hard on EP1 to look good before the rest of the series goes to shit art production wise.
 
Aug 13, 2017 12:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 343
the best jigoku shoujo ep. well done
 
Aug 20, 2017 7:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Families bullshit... always good reasons to wanna die (or kill).
This episode made me agree that a pact = nothing to loose. all right.
 
Aug 21, 2017 1:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 24
Nope, just nope. I can tolerate a lot of dark elements (I watched through all of Higurashi with no trouble), but rape, especially to a girl at a young age, makes me feel absolutely sick to my stomach. That is one of the most psychologically traumatizing things to bear witness to. I really feel like they didn't have to take it to this fictional level of extreme to demonstrate how horrible the family was. The male lead in this episode ended up being just as detestable in the end as well, so I'm not sure how the viewer is supposed to have sympathy for him and find him relatable after he becomes a serial murderer. Most of the previous characters the episodes focused on were sympathetic and relatable, but this was anything but. Other statements I agree with are how this episode invested more into shock value rather than trying to tell a good story. All in all, this was uncomfortable to watch, and not in the good way that the show was previously capable of. I need to watch something funny now to get this episode off my mind.
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »