Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 27, 2017 2:17 AM

Jun 2016
Lets discuss an anime that ended half a decade ago, because that's what people do. SAO is so controversial in the anime community its like a debate about whether god exists or not.

Ignoring the time skip and how the anime or light novel does not explain an extremely detailed biography of the characters. The light novel sold over 8 digits and boosted Reki Kawahara's estimated worth by almost a billion dollars. (I mean damn that's a lot of money. That's like 5,000,000 $200 figures). Credit is due. People don't spend almost a billion dollars on a bad anime.

There's always a new thread or a video somewhere that will go along the lines of:

"Sword Art Online, the clusterfuck of empty, thirsty, pathetic anime e-girls dying to fuck the amaaaaaaazing over-powered black swordsman who somehow is the only player that can hold not one but two swords with two hands. An antagonist so evil that he forgot the reason why he trapped 10,000 people in a game for 294 minu- Cough I mean 2 years. A series called Sword Art Online when only 14 of 49 episodes and a movie is actually about Sword Art Online. Don't watch this shit" (Btw I came up with all that).

People can hate it all they want but objectively speaking MAL's average rating on it of around 7.5 is pretty accurate. It has a second season and a movie that was in practically every other theater in every other country on the planet. I mean considering before SAO there was ./hack(whateverthefuck it was called) and after SAO there were pretty much identical anime's like Log Horizon, Overlord, and Grimgar which are rated "better" but failed to sell even half the totals of SAO combined. Then similar anime like Quan Zhi Gao Shou, Konosuba, and NGNL.(don't even get me started here, konosuba is practically a meme and I flew to Japan to see the movie of a series with alleged copyrighted art tracing and idea theft).

I mean jesus fucking christ you just read 333 words because of the title "Sword Art Online ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)". Do I really need to explain more?

Everyone thinks their own opinion is objective and all-knowing. Well, let me tell you what. I think that too. And SAO was fucking amazing. If you can convince me otherwise, I'll buy you a figure or blu ray box set of choice.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 27, 2017 2:18 AM

Jun 2016
I know this belongs in anime series discussion but for some reason I cant post there. Maybe I'm just retarded. I just spent $2,000 on figures.
Jul 27, 2017 2:20 AM

Jan 2011
Eh, I preferred Accel World.......
Jul 27, 2017 2:24 AM

Jun 2016
ReaperCreeper said:

My conspiracy theory is that AW and SAO are just 1 large story just split into 2 series.
Jul 27, 2017 2:25 AM

Aug 2015
I hated the fairy stuff in sao. apart from that, it wasn't too bad. i wouldn't say it's 'fucking amazing' though. it does get a bit too much hate
Jul 27, 2017 2:27 AM

May 2010
LOL I have no clue if this is a satire post, or your authentic perspective.

If it's the latter you have my blessing.

If it's the former? It still seems like a lot of fun to piss off the unprecedented plethora of haters.

<3

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 27, 2017 2:27 AM

Jan 2009
ReaperCreeper said:

agreed Accel World is better even though i rated them the same
Jul 27, 2017 2:28 AM

Nov 2016
Eh.. Kirito is a bad MC. The romance was also forced.
Jul 27, 2017 2:30 AM

May 2015
Harry potter and Twilight sold over 9 digits.
Justin Bieber has over 11 digits of views on YouTube.
I am almost billionaire as well, almost.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2017 2:31 AM

Apr 2017
>Not even mentioning about chapter 16.5 here

Pointless

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 27, 2017 2:31 AM

Dec 2012
The first 12 episodes were a masterpiece, the rest? .....................
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 27, 2017 2:32 AM

Jun 2016
Hei said:
LOL I have no clue if this is a satire post, or your authentic perspective.

If it's the latter you have my blessing.

If it's the former? It still seems like a lot of fun to piss off the unprecedented plethora of haters.

<3

It's the latter. I'm just so bored, I'm actually on the MAL forums for once.
Jul 27, 2017 2:32 AM

Feb 2013
A SAO fan wearing trenchcoat and katana was making a thread on Reki Kawahara, known as the writer of SAO
“Before the thread begins, you must get on your knees and worship Reki Kawahara and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ! And SAO was fucking amazing. If you can convince me otherwise, I'll buy you a figure or blu ray box set of choice”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, anti-SAO Navy SEAL champion who had won 1500 arguments on youtube and understood the anime industry and fully supported all original anime made by Japan stood up and made a reply.

“Story - This is first major problem is the show. Let's start from the beginning shall we. The first arc consists of 14 episodes. The first 2 episodes are honestly pretty good and set up the plot of the show that should follow. You're introduced to the main characters and it shows mmo style of play. I mean with 2 episodes that are amazing, surely what follows will be more of the adventures of the main characters and these mmo boss fights...right? Wrong. What follows are 5 completely irrelevant side character episodes and unnecessary terrible time skips that ruin any sense of a story the first 2 episodes set up. So due to some illogical reason, we're now down to 7 episodes to tell the rest of this story. Still doable right? RIGHT? Wrong again. The series wastes another 2 1/2 episodes on pointless filler garbage. So there you have it over half of first part of the story has nothing to do with the overall plot. Well what about the other episodes you ask? The remaining "plot" episodes are filled with deus ex machina in its purest form. Even the finale of the first season makes absolutely no sense. This isn't a fantasy world, it's a freaking video game, you can't have miracles here. So that concludes my issues with season 1, which the majority of SAO fans consider to be the best part....Yeh you heard me, the 2nd part is even worse.
Without going into spoilers, the 2nd part of the series takes place in a different setting, with a mostly new cast aside from our main hero. This part of the series probably deserves the award for most unnecessary story in the history of anime. This arc is pretty much a mario game. Our hero must save the princess in the castle. Not really much to say about it. Oh yeh deus ex machina finale here too...oh and there's an incest subplot...for some reason. This concludes the plot section. I think I'm being pretty generous with a 4 here.”

The arrogant thread starter smirked quite Sprigganly and smugly replied “Ignoring the time skip and how the anime or light novel does not explain an extremely detailed biography of the characters. The light novel sold over 8 digits and boosted Reki Kawahara's estimated worth by almost a billion dollars. (I mean damn that's a lot of money. That's like 5,000,000 $200 figures). Credit is due. People don't spend almost a billion dollars on a bad anime.”

“Wrong. If that was true, then Justin Bieber is the best singer of all time”

The OP was visibly shaken, and dropped his keyboard and copy of SAO light novel. He stormed out of the thread crying those Spriggan crocodile tears.

The people in the thread applauded and all bought Ping Pong the Animation DVDs that day and accepted Yuasa as their lord and savior. A green pheasant named “Tatami Galaxy” flew into the thread and perched atop the MAL banner and shed a tear on the thread. The someanithing FAQ was read several times, and Osamu Tezuka himself showed up and added english subs to all the bonus discs.

The OP lost his BD money and was banned the next day. He died of Konno Yuuki AIDS and was tossed into the Attack on Titan world for all eternity.

Banzai
romagiaJul 27, 2017 2:49 AM
Jul 27, 2017 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
Ok, yeah I did say SAO was amazing. I'll admit that I made a mistake. I meant the entire series, - SAO LN and Progressive LN series, Movie, season 2, anime all included. Not just the anime. Even though the entire thread was about the anime.

If you read the Progressive LN series then the romance and story makes a lot more sense. It just makes the anime make even less sense because Kawahara changed the timeline Kirito and Asuna's romance.
Jul 27, 2017 2:39 AM
Jan 2016
Well it's very simple. SAO is great, everyone loves it and anyone who says otherwise is simply a tsundere. True story.
Jul 27, 2017 2:42 AM

Aug 2015
@romagia Thanks for making my morning a lot better.
Jul 27, 2017 3:02 AM

Jun 2016
romagia said:
A SAO fan wearing trenchcoat and katana was making a thread on Reki Kawahara, known as the writer of SAO
“Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Reki Kawahara and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ! And SAO was fucking amazing. If you can convince me otherwise, I'll buy you a figure or blu ray box set of choice”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, anti-SAO Navy SEAL champion who had won 1500 arguments on youtube and understood the anime industry and fully supported all original anime made bu Japan stood up and made a reply.

“Story - This is first major problem is the show. Let's start from the beginning shall we. The first arc consists of 14 episodes. The first 2 episodes are honestly pretty good and set up the plot of the show that should follow. You're introduced to the main characters and it shows mmo style of play. I mean with 2 episodes that are amazing, surely what follows will be more of the adventures of the main characters and these mmo boss fights...right? Wrong. What follows are 5 completely irrelevant side character episodes and unnecessary terrible time skips that ruin any sense of a story the first 2 episodes set up. So due to some illogical reason, we're now down to 7 episodes to tell the rest of this story. Still doable right? RIGHT? Wrong again. The series wastes another 2 1/2 episodes on pointless filler garbage. So there you have it over half of first part of the story has nothing to do with the overall plot. Well what about the other episodes you ask? The remaining "plot" episodes are filled with deus ex machina in its purest form. Even the finale of the first season makes absolutely no sense. This isn't a fantasy world, it's a freaking video game, you can't have miracles here. So that concludes my issues with season 1, which the majority of SAO fans consider to be the best part....Yeh you heard me, the 2nd part is even worse.
Without going into spoilers, the 2nd part of the series takes place in a different setting, with a mostly new cast aside from our main hero. This part of the series probably deserves the award for most unnecessary story in the history of anime. This arc is pretty much a mario game. Our hero must save the princess in the castle. Not really much to say about it. Oh yeh deus ex machina finale here too...oh and there's an incest subplot...for some reason. This concludes the plot section. I think I'm being pretty generous with a 4 here.”

The arrogant thread starter smirked quite Sprigganly and smugly replied “Ignoring the time skip and how the anime or light novel does not explain an extremely detailed biography of the characters. The light novel sold over 8 digits and boosted Reki Kawahara's estimated worth by almost a billion dollars. (I mean damn that's a lot of money. That's like 5,000,000 $200 figures). Credit is due. People don't spend almost a billion dollars on a bad anime.”

The OP was visibly shaken, and dropped his keyboard and copy of SAO light novel. He stormed out of the thread crying those Spriggan crocodile tears.

The people in the thread applauded and all bought Ping Pong the Animation DVDs that day and accepted Yuasa as their lord and savior. A green pheasant named “Tatami Galaxy” flew into the thread and perched atop the MAL banner and shed a tear on the thread. The someanithing FAQ was read several times, and Osamu Tezuka himself showed up and added english subs to all the bonus discs.

The OP lost his BD money and was banned the next day. He died of Konno Yuuki AIDS and was tossed into the Attack on Titan world for all eternity.

Banzai

You're reply was hilarious. A 4 is pushing it objectively. Subjectively, sure go ahead you can think what you want.

Somehow the SAO Hating Elitist takes the celebrity with an average celebrity networth rather than the celebrities with upper networths and unknowingly exposes their secret life as a Justin Beiber fan on MyAnimeList.

I don't get where you pulled Justin Beiber from. Especially on MAL.

Idk why anyone would buy Ping Pong the animations blu ray. Ping Pong the animation was garbage. Anime is most appreciated and known for its art. It looks like someone stuffed an oversized brush in their tight asshole and had a go on the on each scene in Ping Pong the animation.

Ignoring the fact that Eren is unkillable and somehow survives being chewed by 2 titans and swallowed and comes back in better shape than he was before being eaten. AOT is written better than SAO imo. Except logically speaking a bug in the game where the one character that was given the dual wield skill does not die after hitting 0 hp versus the man that regrows his limbs after being chewed up by 2 titans, Kirito is a lot less OP than Eren. I mean ffs, Kirito is only badass and glorious in a video game as a 14 year old nerd (at the start of SAO). Eren is this 19 year old baby man that can regrow fucking limbs and transform into a giant naked beast.

All joking aside, you take this thread too seriously. It's a discussion not a debate, mate. No need to dissect SAO for us, we've all seen it and seen what happens.
Jul 27, 2017 3:10 AM

Dec 2015
SAO just wasn't my cup of tea, it was everything that yes, my old smol 11 years old self loved but my interests just changed massively over the years, re-watching it and holy shit, it was unbearable. I'm glad someone could find enjoyment in this anime though like good for you, it's really not fun not liking an anime that you attempt to try and like without any form of bias lol.

I don't really care about its popularity as far as I'm concerned, I mean if people like the "how about that" girl can become an A-list celebrity and Jake Paul getting his own Disney show can happen then I'm not really surprised at what becomes popular nowadays lol
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 27, 2017 3:29 AM

May 2010
kawaii96desu said:
I used to hate it until I saw season 2 which was amazing.

Also Kirito is a good MC or at least above average. I will never understand people who say: "Oh fuck OP main characters!!! We want the bland useless male MC!! Kaneki Ken is the best! SAO is shit."
Like if you want a sissy MC you can just go watch some shounen ai/yaoi.

LOL I have to agree. It's almost unbelievable. I've seen almost every shounen I can think of and which shounen male lead protagonists are legitimately on Kiritos' level?

Arguably Hei who's account I unironically own on MAL... then there's Edward Elric, I mean I'll give you him. I'll throw in one more I rate ahead of Kirito and that's Shiroe

Who else?

Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, Eren, Yusuke, Inuyasha, Kuroko, Ushio, Midoriya, Hinata, Alibaba, Rin, Raki?

Like I'm so confused - almost everyone of these characters follows almost 1 of 2 trends;

Loud and obnoxious and/or Whiny

or

Aloof and Goofy.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 27, 2017 3:37 AM

Jul 2017
Talking shit about SAO is the "cool" thing to do. That's why its receives a lot of hate even though it's not really as bad as what haters say.
Jul 27, 2017 3:39 AM

Sep 2009
No, I don't know what you mean. SAO isn't automatically lennyface <.<
You have to put some work into making it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
MortalMelancholyJul 27, 2017 3:42 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 27, 2017 3:40 AM

May 2010
AniZinGers said:
Talking shit about SAO is the "cool" thing to do. That's why its receives a lot of hate even though it's not really as bad as what haters say.

Welcome to the community. Nice post, Nice Renge gif.

Keep posting <3

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 27, 2017 3:50 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
If only Sword Art Online was really about Sword Art Online for entire 25 episode.

Alfheim sucks.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 27, 2017 3:52 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Rayrin said:
If only Sword Art Online was really about Sword Art Online for entire 25 episode.

Alfheim sucks.

Well, if you're interested in only Aincrad, there's the Progressive series, which are only in LN/manga(? I think I saw that it had a manga adaptation somewhere but maybe I'm mistaken?) but stick exclusively to Aincrad and focus on fleshing out everything to do with that specific game and the happenings in it that kind of got glossed over in the main series.

Jul 27, 2017 3:56 AM

Mar 2017
The only thing you need to know about Sword Art Online is that its Abridged counterpart is considered the best iteration by fans and haters alike.

:D

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 27, 2017 4:06 AM

Jul 2013
Well, SAO gave me this:

So I don't have any complaint :)
Jul 27, 2017 4:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
The only thing you need to know about Sword Art Online is that its Abridged counterpart is considered the best iteration by fans and haters alike.

not by me and my collection of SAO LNs and (one) figure ;_;

i mean i do like it, it's not only funny but it toes the line well and whenever it falls into sort of parodying the original it does so in a way that's ribbing rather than punching and would require mega-thin skin to find insulting (which is great to me, because parodies that fall into that is what makes me dislike that type of humor so much, which afaik would make it satire and would mean i just don't like satire, but the point remains since it feels like parody can fall into satire easily if not done right) while still being self-contained enough to work as its own comedic little thing without falling back on what it's based off of much at all, but i still find what it's based off to be far more fun and engaging :V
ManabanJul 27, 2017 4:13 AM

Jul 27, 2017 4:25 AM
Jul 2017
It's a good thing that I was unaware of the hate for SAO when I watched both seasons. I kinda like the show as a guilty pleasure. I believe that it still has its good points despite the major flaws it has.

You know, I kinda wished that they had stretched the first arc of season one to two seasons instead of like 12 episodes. The whole point of you die in the game, you die in real life became really pointless when the first arc ended. At least they redeemed themselves a bit in season 2. I loved the Mother Rosario arc... and the Gun Gale arc except for it's villain (if you know who I'm talking about).

The thing I hate the most in SAO is the Alfeim arc and basically all of Kirito's harem. I don't mind women wanting to fuck the same guy, I just don't like them being dumbed down or put into the background once we were done with giving them screentime.

That's all. ^-^
Jul 27, 2017 4:30 AM

Feb 2013
Inorichi said:
All joking aside, you take this thread too seriously. It's a discussion not a debate, mate. No need to dissect SAO for us, we've all seen it and seen what happens.
maybe i do
but i really like the albert einstein pasta and rarely i get a thread that fires up my pasta modification skillz

also that was a copypaste from the top review of the series
im not that good at writing, criticism or otherwise

as for justin bieber part i recently read that jb is the best selling male canadian artist at 100m records so i figured it's a good comparison.. i also heard him used before as coutnerargument for popular=good

the AoT comparision is there because it's one of the more undesirable anime worlds to get sent to; in the original pasta it was "sent to hell"
romagiaJul 27, 2017 4:34 AM
Jul 27, 2017 4:40 AM

Jun 2016
When will people understand that if the show convinced you that it's good, there are some people who weren't convinced? I remember being so curious with its hype (actually it was just 2 months ago) despite the hate for it, I gave it a go, and oh lord the show was unbearable that I had to force myself to continue watching it until episode 10, then immediately dropped it. It's not exactly my cup of tea, and surprisingly I have to agree with its critics or "haters". It's so unbearable, and where on earth is the harem tag for that show?

But I understand that there are people who love the show, I have nothing against that because of the thing called "taste" and "preferences".

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 27, 2017 4:44 AM

Oct 2009
Why you must start discussion that cover all the franchise to defends the anime? What I've been seen most critics comes from the anime, not from the LN, the LN alternate version, manga, or whatever. A lot of SAO fans I've seen give comments like "the LN is better", the "LN explained it more", etc; and that's just to prove that the anime have major problem. The review for the LN mostly positive on MAL, but not for the anime; and that's must be seen as "there are some problem with the anime".
Why it's so popular? I must agree with Giguk and MotherBasement on this, it came at the right time. How long since the last .hack anime or even game before SAO anime airing? And that's why anime like Log Horizon, Overlord or Grimgar are less popular although have better pace on story telling; because they came out not long one after another.
And I believe most of us agree that popularity =/= quality. Twilight have good sales, but is it true that it's "that" good? Justin Bieber so famous, while his voice is good, but is it true that his musics quality equal to his voice (+his face)?
Su-uXJul 27, 2017 4:51 AM
Don't like it? Just stop watching/reading it. Why become a masochist that keep going through something you don't like and bitching in the end of it?
Jul 27, 2017 4:53 AM

May 2015
AniZinGers said:
Sao's issues has never been that it isn't as bad as what haters say but that it's not as good as fanboys say it is. If the hype train doesn't result in a good show then the hate train has free reign. Sao is one of the shows that had the biggest discrepancy between hype and perceived quality to the point that it became the scapegoat for anyone to hate that it is now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2017 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
This reminds me of that doujin I found recently, with sinon and the kirito in his gun gale avatar. Gotta say that the trap kirito is pretty damn hot, I'd fuck him. I mean sinon too but I knew she was hot already, I never really learnt to appreciate kirito's trap avatar before now tho, it has something to it.
Jul 27, 2017 5:32 AM

Apr 2015
Well its not like I never fapped to an Asuna futanari doujinshi lol, but I don't enjoy the canon thing. I dislike when people don't die when they're killed.
Jul 27, 2017 5:36 AM

Aug 2016
ReaperCreeper said:

This, if only for the fact that the 24 eps of AW was better than the 24 eps of SAO. I loved the first 5 eps of AW and first 12 eps of SAO.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jul 27, 2017 6:03 AM

Jul 2015
I don't know man. I liked SAO, even with the structural problems I enjoyed it. Does that make me some kind of anime plebeian? I don't know that either.

But I will say I mainly enjoyed the romance, which many people don't understand so maybe I'll explain myself here. Most animes romantic features have copious amounts of "romantic development" in which the main male and female run through different situations where they hate either other or get into conflict and slowly develop feelings for each other. Then at the last 20 seconds of the anime, they finally become a couple and we see them hold hands once before it ends. Now that's fine. Sometimes it's done really well, but for every romance anime ever? That is why I can't stand most romance anime which seem to follow this plot to a tee. Now in SAO, we actually get to see a couple interact and show explicit affection for each other. A rarity in for romance in anime. Was it really forced and kind of came out of nowhere? Yes for sure, but it was satisfying. Oh so satisfying.

So yeah that is my unsolicited opinion on romance in SAO which no one cares about, and in which I completely dodged the purpose of this post to write.
Jul 27, 2017 6:10 AM

Jun 2015
You lost me at the billion dollars. That's a huge number and I doubt the author is worth that much.
Jul 27, 2017 6:28 AM

Oct 2009
Brb said:
You lost me at the billion dollars. That's a huge number and I doubt the author is worth that much.

Psssttt.... I think everyone noticed about it but keep silent....
Don't like it? Just stop watching/reading it. Why become a masochist that keep going through something you don't like and bitching in the end of it?
Jul 27, 2017 6:33 AM

Jul 2017
zal said:
AniZinGers said:
Sao's issues has never been that it isn't as bad as what haters say but that it's not as good as fanboys say it is. If the hype train doesn't result in a good show then the hate train has free reign. Sao is one of the shows that had the biggest discrepancy between hype and perceived quality to the point that it became the scapegoat for anyone to hate that it is now.

I get your point there.

I don't think SAO is that good either as what the avid fanboys says. Storytelling-wise, it really is that bad but animation and music-wise, its top-notch. What I'm trying to say is that it has both good and bad qualities. Its definitely much better than hundreds of anime out there.

I know that many people got dissapointed that SAO did not deliver a quality that its hype deserves. I know that feeling very well and I respect their opinions. I just dont like how blown out the hate and discrimation against the show when it just doesnt deserve it. Again, reiterating my opinion, its not as bad as what haters say.
Jul 27, 2017 6:35 AM

Feb 2016
One day i'll pick up SAO just to see what the fuss is about, maybe when the movie is available online.

I did watch it untill ep 11 a long time ago but i barely remember anything.
Jul 27, 2017 6:59 AM

Oct 2015
you know what, normally i would be all aboard this shit but im too tired for this shit so

zal said:
AniZinGers said:

fck it^ this what i want to say, pece fck you OP, fck sao haters/fans , fck everything sao, if both sides take a step back and stop hyping,/ stop using it as a scapgoat for your own ideals and mindset, it will maybe fucking die
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 27, 2017 7:04 AM

Aug 2014
Inorichi said:

I mean jesus fucking christ you just read 333 words because of the title "Sword Art Online ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)". Do I really need to explain more?

heh, is that what you think? yamerooo
Jul 27, 2017 7:17 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
fck it^ this what i want to say, pece fck you OP, fck sao haters/fans , fck everything sao, if both sides take a step back and stop hyping,/ stop using it as a scapgoat for your own ideals and mindset, it will maybe fucking die

How can we let SAO die when there are YTers who sustain their living milking the topic?

Or how can we let SAO die when it's instant attention for a thread? When it's such an easy-yet-divisive thing to talk about due to how widespread it is? Most people have seen it, and most people have some opinion on it. Easy way to get a topic noticed and easy discussion to make at that, since everything that can be said about it has been treaded 80 bazillion times already and the only purpose discussing it currently serves adds pretty much nothing new. People from all over will just toss their fucking 2 bits in, like it isn't a complete waste of time or like what they have to say actually matters at this point. It doesn't. This rant doesn't even matter. Nothing in relation to the topic of discussing SAO publicly like this is ever, in a million years, going to be anything except totally fucking pointless. At best, you can get an easy +1 or +2 to your overall post count by lazily slapping some shit down since people no longer need to think for themselves here, it's all been done for them already.

Let's initiate a mass drive of "let's just ignore the topic" since that's really the only way to break the circle of nothingness. Which will fail, because it's still bringing attention to the topic, even if it's encouraging others to ignore it. Even then, people will still come in, unfamiliar with anime discussion in general, and not even realize their opinion is nothing insightful or new at this point because this topic has been worn out so much that just the one or two threads about it make me want to vomit, regardless of what they have to say.

So they'll toss it out there, admist the sea of people either complaining about the thread existing because it's such a tired topic/admist the sea of mindless haters and fanboys alike, only to start a flame war or something because the vast majority of people who aren't tired of the topic fall on either extreme and will stubbornly and illogically defend their standpoint, either because they work under the complete and total delusion that they're a lone wolf fighting for justice in defense of a series they like feel gets too much undeserved hatred, or because they're just too childish to accept that a series they didn't like much had the audacity to become extremely popular. The culmination of either side is that they'll stubbornly hold out - to the chagrin of pretty much everybody who doesn't fall onto one end of the retardation - and thus we'll get a 4 or 5 page thread with nothing but circular, rehashed ideas being stubbornly held onto, like a child would react as if they're being told "no" in a toy store.

Because of that, it continues to make the series one of the most recognizable and noticeable series associated with recent anime and most people are going to see it regardless because of the sheer amount of discussion that's been had over it to see where they stand. It'll continue to grow, it'll continue to thrive, and it'll continue to exist as an extremely recognizable product because both sides only make it grow rather than accomplish anything productive. The movie came out and outsold wide releases like Pirates of the Carribbean and Wonder Woman in some areas. A fucking limited released anime movie had topped some major productions in some countries.

We're totally fucked, basically. We can tell ourselves it's irrelevant, but the truth is that the series itself is not even close to being dead. The only thing that's dead and irrelevant are the totally fucking stagnant conversations about it, being drawn out everywhere one could look. As it stands, those are a complete carcass, and whenever something new comes out, it won't take long for it people operating on either side of the spectrum to come and turn discussion over that into a complete fucking dump as well.

Usually I'd blank this at some point because the "oh i was too mean to people, called people who rabidly defend it completely delusional and people who rabidly hated it childish and stupid" feelings of guilt would kick in, but nah. They can fuck off. I hope I offend them. This is how I'll keep myself from losing my stomach at the continued existence of this absolutely asinine discussion that only serves to bring out the most autistic aspects of everybody involved.
ManabanJul 27, 2017 7:42 AM

Jul 27, 2017 7:18 AM

Aug 2014
romagia said:
This was a better story than SAO has to offer. 8/10
#dicksoutforhughmungus
Jul 27, 2017 7:19 AM

Mar 2016

This sums it all up nicely.

Jul 27, 2017 7:22 AM

Aug 2016
Illyricus said:
Well, SAO gave me this:

You should. There wasn't enough of it ;)

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jul 27, 2017 7:32 AM

Jul 2013
Lufwa said:
Illyricus said:
Well, SAO gave me this:

You should. There wasn't enough of it ;)
Oh, yeah, that's a valid criticism ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Cannot wait for the announcement of the third season...
Jul 27, 2017 7:34 AM

Sep 2009
@le_halfhand_easy
Lmao just watched that; was pretty hilarious. Maybe 8/10.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 27, 2017 7:38 AM

May 2015
AniZinGers said:
zal said:

I get your point there.

I don't think SAO is that good either as what the avid fanboys says. Storytelling-wise, it really is that bad but animation and music-wise, its top-notch. What I'm trying to say is that it has both good and bad qualities. Its definitely much better than hundreds of anime out there.

I know that many people got dissapointed that SAO did not deliver a quality that its hype deserves. I know that feeling very well and I respect their opinions. I just dont like how blown out the hate and discrimation against the show when it just doesnt deserve it. Again, reiterating my opinion, its not as bad as what haters say.
But SAO is not special in that regard, EVERY show is not as bad as what haters say.
Jul 27, 2017 7:59 AM
Aug 2011
6/10 for season 1.

It's not god awful and isn't that great but it makes sense why it has mass appeal. Better this than crap like Asterisk Wars or Infinite Stratos.

It's something wildly meh that is popular because of it's incredible premise but not great execution.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.