Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jul 26, 2017 2:49 AM

Don't get me wrong, Shigatsu was very good, but literally half the episodes were filler and repetition of the same flashbacks Arima had.

Jan 1, 3:48 PM

I think so too, they should focus only on glasses guy and kaori, leaving sidekicks behind and it would be much better.
BackstageMage said:
characters breath
Oh my god theyre in love
code said:
big brain MALers: 1
god: 0
I'm sure god feels stupid.

Jan 1, 3:49 PM

i think there shouldn't even be an anime adaptation
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 2, 11:26 AM

I get why people might like this, but I thought this was pretty good, but it seems to not be my taste. (Just a irrelevant garbage opinion).
Persona 4 (Golden obviously) is better than Persona 5 imo

Jan 3, 1:14 AM
lolatusenpai said:
Don't get me wrong, Shigatsu was very good, but literally half the episodes were filler and repetition of the same flashbacks Arima had.
I think we could go without the following completely:
- Emi Igawa
- The beach scene
- Tsubaki's crush on Arima
- Every comedy moment (Yes they help break up the tension, but you're meant to use absence to balance it out, not the complete opposite. The completely unfunny comedy moments are really just detrimental to the tone)
- Every flashback to childhood
- All the cringey poetry that fills Arima's internal monologue
- Tsubaki's relationship with sports captain guy (Since it only helps build the Tsubaki-Arima romance sub-plot)
- The melodrama (Tsubaki runs away screaming and in tears because her childhood friend is going to a school in a different town)
- Might aswell remove Kashiwagi aswell just to be safe.

I think that'd get us down to 13 episodes.

While we're at it, I'd also make the following changes:
- The studio behind it (Because you can really see A-1 Pictures fingerprints all over the worse parts of this)
- The music, perhaps the background music could include some simple piano technical exercises or something
- The entire last episode should be restructured

Sorry if I went overboard, I just want to vent my frustration about how easily this could have been done better.

Dlwuik said:
i think there shouldn't even be an anime adaptation
It's about music. Manga doesn't have music.

Jan 3, 1:51 AM
Wise Cat

Well, I love it, but I agree that it should have had at least just 18 episodes.
Some of the monologues at the concerts were ridiculously long and then there was this... uhm Imouto-arc. Why? XD

But I thought the childhood memories were important to get Tsubaki and Kousei and their bond better.

Jan 3, 2:10 AM
Dead not Dead

Personally I think the length was fine. But I kinda wanted more piano/violin duets rather than just being mainly filled with emotions. I was fine with the talking feelings through performance, but just wanted more duets ;-;

Feb 11, 7:43 PM

I understand why some may say it was repetitive, but I felt that helped develop the characters

Tenderizer17 said:
I think we could go without the following completely:
- Emi Igawa
- The beach scene
- Tsubaki's crush on Arima
- Every comedy moment (Yes they help break up the tension, but you're meant to use absence to balance it out, not the complete opposite. The completely unfunny comedy moments are really just detrimental to the tone)
- Every flashback to childhood
- All the cringey poetry that fills Arima's internal monologue
- Tsubaki's relationship with sports captain guy (Since it only helps build the Tsubaki-Arima romance sub-plot)
- The melodrama (Tsubaki runs away screaming and in tears because her childhood friend is going to a school in a different town)
- Might aswell remove Kashiwagi aswell just to be safe.

Yes that is too far. That literally takes away all the characterizations of very important people. Kaori isn't the only influence in Arima's life...
I can agree with the comedy but seriously... flashbacks? It help us understand the characters.
It's not that hard, but we can go just cut out all the mentioned scenes. I'll assure you it'll be bland as hell. That's the most bare-bone crap you will ever watch.

I'd prefer a bit drawn out series than a rushed one. A drawn out series done well like this is far more entertaining and allow you to know the characters better. Better than what rushing the romance, the drama, and development. It'll just outright feel unnatural in a 12 episode series.

Feb 11, 8:40 PM
zcv45 said:
That is too far. That literally takes away all the characterizations of very important people. Kaori isn't the only influence in Arima's life...
I can agree with the comedy but seriously... flashbacks? It help us understand the characters.
It's not that hard, but we can go just cut out all the mentioned scenes. I'll assure you it'll be bland as hell. That's the most bare-bone crap you will ever watch.
The only flashbacks to childhood that help build that are the scenes depicting Arima's abuse (Which warrant an exception). Also, the show as it stands is bland. It employs so many of the more frustrating tropes of anime and doesn't execute upon them particularly well. It has its strengths, but none are a result of the execution, but merely the broader principles.

As for the whole, "characterizations of very important people" matter. Emi Igawa serves no purpose that Takeshi doesn't fill. Kashiwagi never interacts directly with Arima (Or at least, not in a way memorable enough for me to remember).

Tsubaki's crush on Arima only builds melodrama, however her compassion towards him is important and would be better (and more maturely) expressed with friendship than romance. If the friendship were to be interpreted by the audience as romance, that's great because a subtlely expressed romance is far better when left unfulfilled, than one that's frequently mentioned explicitly.

zcv45 said:
I'd prefer a bit drawn out series than a rushed one. A drawn out series done well like this is far more entertaining and allow you to know the characters better. Better than what rushing the romance, the drama, and development. It'll just outright feel unnatural in a 12 episode series.
As for the whole, rushing matter. It's quite possible to condense the good parts of this show into 13 episodes.

Lets review the core ideas of the show

There are two main plots to develop here.

Arima's plot proceeds as follows:
1. Arima is troubled by a traumatic relationship with piano
2. He is inspired to play by Kaori's performance, but is convinced he's unable to
3. He's put in a position where playing badly is preferable to not playing at all
4. He comes to start playing again, initially by force but gradually by his own volition
5. Kaori is gradually revealed to be terminally ill, and it reminds Arima of a painful loss he felt in the past
6. An assortment of people help him overcome his troubles
- Takeshi as a rival
- Nagi as a student
- Seto as a surrogate parent figure
- Kaori as a freespirited juxtaposition to his own mindset
7. Kaori's impending death causes him to abstain from the piano
8. He learns to play in spite of his despair, out of respect for Kaori.
9. Kaori dies, but he's prepared to accept it.

Kaori's plot:
1. Kaori forces herself into Arima's life, in the hopes of helping him
2. It is gradually revealed that Kaori is terminally ill
3. Kaori struggles to come to terms with her impending death
4. Kaori feels like the purpose she devoted herself too did more damage than good
5. She wishes for death
6. Arima brings her back to her senses with an inspiring piano performance
7. She embarks on a risky surgery in the hopes of giving herself enough time to perform again
8. The surgery fails and she dies, but dies fighting at the very least.

Both of these plots can be sufficiently developed in a 13 episode run. Everything else is mostly extraneous and can be cut if necessary. Even the stuff here can be shortened with ease. There is nothing I missed that's of importance.

Preview MangaManga Store