Forums

What do i have to study in order to be able to enjoy "intellectual" anime

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 30, 2017 2:06 AM

May 2015
Cactii said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Let's not compare knowledge to direct impressions like colors and sounds. I might go all Hume here and say that unless you have the sense of sight or of hearing, 'colors' and 'sounds' don't exist for you. It's not a good comparison.
Using color was meant to portray the knowledge you again without 'reading' particular book or whatever. It piles up from your everyday interaction, everyday knowledge, society, environment and many factors. It's small when we look at them one by one, but unnoticedly, that many "small" parts form into a certain type of perception without we consciously knowing it.
I believe asking to give direct "source" for that kind of understanding is impossible, some people can break down and explain themselves, while majority(as I assume) do not.
But what really important here, back to our argument, is just because a person can't give you source to that "perception" or "understanding" of him, does not mean he does not possess that "perception" or "understanding".

Moving on, you keep missing that I said that if a person knows something, he can either explain it or direct me to resources. Otherwise, I have no reason to think the person knows. I mean, you don't trust a doctor unless he shows you some evidence of his knowledge.

"Either he tells me or he does not know anything"
This is where the argument start, a disjunction fallacy. I'm already brought up a few possible scenario, from can't articulate oneself to not having obligation, but you ignore it and, again, limit own your mindset to only thinking the person in question "does not have the knowledge".
1. Doctor is a weak analogy, Doctor has an obligation to do so, while forum posters do not.
2. Whether the doctor give evidence or not, the result does not only limit to "this doctor doesn't have the knowledge"

I don't expect people to explain everything, especially big theories. But if you can direct me to sources, to where you got your data/ideas from, then already I have a way to keep moving. If it's just 'Google it', it means nothing.

1st. To stay on original starting argument, Even if it mean nothing it does not limit to "he does not have the knowledge".
2nd. Tbh, if someone was talking about quantum theory and I don't know what it is, I don't really need the person in question to link me to quantum theory when I think I can google it myself that much.
If some one was talking about the function of subconsciousness and I have no idea how it work, I can also google it myself. I'm the one who get benefit from knowledge after all. Of course if you think 'winning' in forum post can satisfy you more then that's different case.

There one thing that I think you keep holding in yourself while typing the reply. I think you assume that I deny the existence of person who hide his lack of knowledge behind the arguments like "just look it up" or "google it". I did not.
I only argue about your mindset that seems to limit the result to 'the person in question does not have the knowledge'.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence until an alternative comes along. I should address since, since most of your post is quite vague and kind of strays from the core of the discussion:

"I only argue about your mindset that seems to limit the result to 'the person in question does not have the knowledge'."

My mindset is that unless you show me you know, I have no reason to think you know. If you tell me 'just Google it'. I assume you don't know - else you'd explain or direct to sources. I don't go around, assuming people are quantum theorists unless they tell me otherwise. Occam's razor and all that.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 30, 2017 6:58 AM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Cactii said:
Using color was meant to portray the knowledge you again without 'reading' particular book or whatever. It piles up from your everyday interaction, everyday knowledge, society, environment and many factors. It's small when we look at them one by one, but unnoticedly, that many "small" parts form into a certain type of perception without we consciously knowing it.
I believe asking to give direct "source" for that kind of understanding is impossible, some people can break down and explain themselves, while majority(as I assume) do not.
But what really important here, back to our argument, is just because a person can't give you source to that "perception" or "understanding" of him, does not mean he does not possess that "perception" or "understanding".

"Either he tells me or he does not know anything"
This is where the argument start, a disjunction fallacy. I'm already brought up a few possible scenario, from can't articulate oneself to not having obligation, but you ignore it and, again, limit own your mindset to only thinking the person in question "does not have the knowledge".
1. Doctor is a weak analogy, Doctor has an obligation to do so, while forum posters do not.
2. Whether the doctor give evidence or not, the result does not only limit to "this doctor doesn't have the knowledge"

1st. To stay on original starting argument, Even if it mean nothing it does not limit to "he does not have the knowledge".
2nd. Tbh, if someone was talking about quantum theory and I don't know what it is, I don't really need the person in question to link me to quantum theory when I think I can google it myself that much.
If some one was talking about the function of subconsciousness and I have no idea how it work, I can also google it myself. I'm the one who get benefit from knowledge after all. Of course if you think 'winning' in forum post can satisfy you more then that's different case.

There one thing that I think you keep holding in yourself while typing the reply. I think you assume that I deny the existence of person who hide his lack of knowledge behind the arguments like "just look it up" or "google it". I did not.
I only argue about your mindset that seems to limit the result to 'the person in question does not have the knowledge'.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence until an alternative comes along. I should address since, since most of your post is quite vague and kind of strays from the core of the discussion:

"I only argue about your mindset that seems to limit the result to 'the person in question does not have the knowledge'."

My mindset is that unless you show me you know, I have no reason to think you know. If you tell me 'just Google it'. I assume you don't know - else you'd explain or direct to sources. I don't go around, assuming people are quantum theorists unless they tell me otherwise. Occam's razor and all that.
"I don't go around, assuming people are quantum theorists unless they tell me otherwise"
Except in our scenario, they already told you otherwise but you just do not understand it. And later, tells you to look up.
Using "go around, assuming everyone" is a bit desperate of you here.

But that make me think, maybe we hold a different scenario in our mind when talking on this, so let's compare and match our scenario first before we waste all the time writing and finally the result turn out to be "it's all just a misunderstanding".
Here is a scenario I have in mind.
Person A and B is participate in topic Z
B is using X concept to write his argument that is used to support his idea about topic Z.
A doesn't know or understand what X concept is.
B he tells A to look up
A concludes that B has no knowledge about X.

Here is a scenario I think you have in mind.
A and B is participate in topic Z
B merely mentions X concept to strengthen his argument that is used to support his idea about topic Z
B tells A to look up
A concludes B does not know about X.

So, yeah, let's confirm our scenario first before anything else.
Jul 30, 2017 11:47 AM

Nov 2009
JFuji said:
What?

Fate/Zero isn't deep at all. It's just better than the high school drama known as Fate/Stay.

Not that I disagree with Fate/Stay being a crappy high school drama but it's pretty amusing to see someone with Clannad in their favorites complaining about a show white citing the reason as it being a "high school drama", especially since that particular Key series is one of the biggest offender in that category.
Jul 31, 2017 6:12 AM

May 2015
Cactii said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

"I don't go around, assuming people are quantum theorists unless they tell me otherwise"
Except in our scenario, they already told you otherwise but you just do not understand it. And later, tells you to look up.
Using "go around, assuming everyone" is a bit desperate of you here.

But that make me think, maybe we hold a different scenario in our mind when talking on this, so let's compare and match our scenario first before we waste all the time writing and finally the result turn out to be "it's all just a misunderstanding".
Here is a scenario I have in mind.
Person A and B is participate in topic Z
B is using X concept to write his argument that is used to support his idea about topic Z.
B he tells A to look up
A concludes that B has no knowledge about X.

Here is a scenario I think you have in mind.
A and B is participate in topic Z
B merely mentions X concept to strengthen his argument that is used to support his idea about topic Z
B tells A to look up
A concludes B does not know about X.

So, yeah, let's confirm our scenario first before anything else.

I don't understand the difference in the scenarios.

My argument is that unless I see you showing your knowledge, or directing to sources of knowledge, I cannot conclude you have the knowledge. A professional certificate (doctor, professor) can be considered a source although I'd prefer something more concrete. Telling me to look up is avoidance, since I do not know where to look it up. Concepts can have multiple meanings and be a part of huge, bumbling discussions.

Jul 31, 2017 5:07 PM

Mar 2016
You don't need to study! You need to be smart on your own to follow the connection that happen in the anime.
Aug 1, 2017 1:33 AM

May 2015
azertyY said:
You don't need to study! You need to be smart on your own to follow the connection that happen in the anime.

You do need to study because you need knowledge and ways of thought to make those connections and make something out of it. In philoosphy you study how to think, not what to think.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
13 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
16 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.