Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Pokemon: Kimi ni Kimeta! Episode 1 Discussion

Jul 24, 2017 7:05 AM
千紗

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally watched it.
Really well done! nostalgia vibes punched me from start to finish.
I love how on point it was with how Pikachu and Ash's meetup started, basically Pikachu being a dick at first but started to like Ash.
They kept the butterfree part as well, it still got me tearing up when he let his butterfree go... I remember as a kid and cried when he let him go cause I like butterfree and didnt know they can do that.
They also kept Charmander's story but with some changes and twist, basically Charmander's old trainer trashed him as well and left him outside, Ash saw the charmander running for his master but then kicked Charmander, they then took care of the charmander and he became Ash's pokemon, but unlike the anime version, when Charmander evolved into Charmeleon and Charizard he wasnt a dick to him, also Charmander's old trainer turns out to be the rival of Ash in the movie all the way to the end when he wanted to take Ho oh's feather from Ash, they then battle for it with Charmeleon V Incineroar (btw they fought prior to this and Charmeleon lost) as their 2nd battle proceeds Charmeleon then evolves into Charizard and takes victory, as everything looked fine and dandy Charmander's ex trainer (despite losing) took Ho oh's feather from Ash as it then got corrupted because he wasnt a pure/nice trainer, then Marshadow got mad (marshadow= he basically watches the choosen kid that Ho oh drops his feather to as the next hero worthy to battle Ho oh, he was with Ash the whole time, hiding in his shadow) and forced all the pokemon near them to attack all of them, Pikachu V Marshadow was hype but Pikachu lost, as they were surrounded by the controlled pokemons Ash tells Pikachu the same thing he said when they were being attacked by spearows

(this is where I died inside...)
Ash: Pikachu.. get in the pokeball, you'll be safe there. *shields Pikachu from the pokemons and shouts* WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK I AM? IM SATOSHI MASARA FROM PALLET TOWN! I WONT BE DEFEATED HERE!
Controlled Pokemons: Attacks Ash.
Pikachu: *jumps in and saves Ash*
*as both were on the floor down for the count*
Ash: You idiot... why didnt you return to your pokeball
Pikachu: Because... I always want to be with you (Pikachu literally says this in our language with a smile and teary eyes... so I died....)
Ash: *smiles and tears up, as the Pokemons were about to attack again Ash clicks Pikachu's pokeball and had Pikachu return to it*
Pikachu: *comes out of the pokeball and had Ash's cap fall on his head (literal cameo of Pikachu with Ash's hat in the game) Ash was literally disappearing, Pikachu cries and shouts emitting a huge thunder while hugging Ash's cap*< this scene killed me more than I thought it would.
Ash then returns by some deus ex machina probably Ho oh's miracle, and Pikachu jumps in the weird glitter and see's Ash in it and he then returns back.
As Ho oh was floating around them Ash then challenges Ho oh to a battle to which Ho oh approves of.

We then enter the scene where Ash says goodbye to his companions (they tagged along with Ash to see Ho oh)

PS the 3 legendary beasts were there as well, Ash and his soon to be 2 companions fought with Entei but they lost, Suicune appeared infront of girl companion and Raikou popped out when Ash let Butterfree go. They're basically there to see the choosen child of Ho oh if he's worthy or not.

If you're a pokemon fan then I really recommend you watch this, it was really great.
Modified by -Stray, Jul 24, 2017 7:12 AM

Nov 5, 2017 12:14 PM
DatLookTho

Just watched it at the theater. Felt really rushed, but meh. Is a movie so I'll forgive that bit.

I cried quite a bit.
1. When he found Charmander.
2. When he let go of Butterfree.
3. When Luxray died.
4. When Ash died.

Overall it was nostalgia filled.

Though I'm a bit triggered at Cynthia cameo. My bae. This was the convo with my friend.

Inner sarroush: "Is that Cynthia?"
Friend: Is that Cynthia?
Sarroush: idk...i was just thinking that but its not her hair color.
Friend: she's the only one we know with that hair style...
Sarroush: but Cynthia isn't a bitch....I doubt its her.

Movie ends. Google it.

>Relative: Cynthia (mother)

Sarroush: fuck wth????
Friend: told you
Sarroush: says something something cameo, different universe, mom...ITS NOT EVEN THE SAME HAIR COLOR
friend: and Cynthia's not a bitch...but it said one of the strongest trainers
Sarroush: sigh. My poor waifu, turned into a bitch with wrong hair color in a two second cameo. I need to go rewatch some episodes now :((((

7/10

Also zero mentions of Lugia. My triggers.
Also also, Pikachu talking was really jarring and dumb lol
Modified by sarroush, Nov 5, 2017 5:34 PM

Nov 5, 2017 2:00 PM
Just saw it, loved it easily one of the best Pokémon movies.

Nov 5, 2017 4:07 PM
I really liked this movie. I also liked how all the old traveling partners appeared in the credits.

Nov 5, 2017 4:35 PM
Gunpla Builder

Meh... I only liked the first half and the battles.

Nov 5, 2017 7:08 PM

My first Pokemon theater event. Looking forward to using that code in the new game in 2 weeks!

This movie really felt like a love letter to all the fans that have followed the series since the beginning (especially them showing all of Ash's friends during the credits). They took some of the best parts of season 1 for this (episode 1/butterfree/charmander). The nostalgia was great, seeing some things coming back from the past but it was so long ago that it was easy for changes to be made without it feeling "wrong" compared to the original season.

His new friends were great. I wasn't a fan of Verity because of her weird hairstyle, but then it came down in the cave scene and she was adorable! Plus, I'll always appreciate a level-headed character like Sorrel (although I accidentally thought he was Verity once because of his androgynous hairstyle during the Suicune scene lmao).

Ash's nightmare after losing that battle was especially eerie. To see him in our world (no Pokemon, going to school, worrying about homework, hanging out on the school roof), it was unsettling to see how gray our world really is without Pokemon, and how much light/color they bring into our lives. It really rejuvenated my love for Pokemon in general.

The final battle was a bit messy (Marshadow was sealing up the darkness but now suddenly it's pouring darkness everywhere and wants to control them too?), and it bothered me that Ash just started "disappearing" after taking all of those hits. I'll accept the way he came back though because of Ho-oh's legend (since it's based on a phoenix and brought the legendary dogs back to life after that fire). I practically lost it when Pikachu started talking (POKEMON CAN'T TALK WHAT IS HAPPENING OH MY GOD STOP AHHHH)

Was also bittersweet at the end, with them saying they'll see each other again (because we know that will never happen). But it was really great to see all those references to the other movies during the final scenes (I know I spotted several towns/monuments that were exclusively in certain movies).

Modified by Vysarine, Nov 5, 2017 7:13 PM

Nov 6, 2017 10:32 AM

Was kinda disappointed to be honest. So many things I have to question in this movie. Of the top of my head:

Blastoise vs Venusaur fight he used Ice beam before but decides to use Hydro Pump on Venusaur?
Celedon was his 3rd badge?
He didn't evolve Caterpie until he got past Celedon seriously?
Guy says Marshadow was to only observe but then ends up being last boss?

I get that this is a kids show but seriously they could have put some effort into how some logic works there...

Nov 6, 2017 11:43 AM

It was ok? I kinda liked this "reboot"

Ash was cancer but everything else was cool for me.

The companions were interesting, best pokemon was there (Piplup).

It's interesting to imagine how would the first episodes of Kanto be if it acknowledged the other regions since the start.

Nov 6, 2017 2:05 PM
WhaleCostume said:

Celedon was his 3rd badge?

Kanto did a weird badge order with Saffron, fuchsia and Celadon in the original anime so it's not too surprising.

One of my friends told me it is possible to skip vermilion and go to Celadon early via trading exploits but I'm not certain how accurate or true this is.

Nov 6, 2017 3:23 PM
Anime Moderator
watch'em all

WhaleCostume said:
Was kinda disappointed to be honest. So many things I have to question in this movie. Of the top of my head:

Guy says Marshadow was to only observe but then ends up being last boss?

So true, that was strange af.
Also I wished they would have shown more what's going on with Verena's mother.

All in all it was a good movie, 7/10. I thought Ash really died since it was a parallel universe, but in the end he was just revived, had my hopse up for nothing geez. Anyways it was a nice movie and the promo card we got is really cool!
My goal is to watch as much anime as possible. On my profile you will also find a list of seen cartoons & movies. Sometimes I release older anime or sub some things. If you have any questions, just ask!

Nov 6, 2017 4:30 PM

probably the biggest disappointment in a pokemon movie i've watched. they tried to combine new and old and it like didn't mash well at all, the whole thing just felt really awkward with a few tearjerkers mushed inside (the butterfree scene did get me).

souji and makoto literally have 0 redeemable traits to them, her whole problem with her mom is brought up and never solved while souji takes the roll of the annoying nerd rotom-dex clemont-thing. cross is a carbon-copy of paul, literally nothing interesting here. so for characters to be interested in we have some alternate universe ash ketchum which is great and all, but not enough to pull along the whole cast.

team rocket just appears and does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL. marshadow literally observes the whole time which what seems like positive intent, then randomly he just loses his shout out of nowhere and starts attacking the cast? what the hell? then the ending continues to get more fuckier as ash dies and revives with the power of friendship, taking a leaf out of makoto shinkai's book to solve a problem with a bunch of flashing sakuga to patch up the climax easily.

i honestly don't know what the point of this movie was at all. like the selling point seems to be nostalgic tearjerker moments but why didn't they just stick with a simple recap which would've been probably average but at least safer/more enjoyable? i dunno.

at least we all got that cool pikachu card.

Nov 6, 2017 7:35 PM

Personally I thought it was my favorite Pokemon film since Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. I went in with fairly low expectations but the nostalgia bomb was enough to sway me, I will definitely be buying this film the second I have the chance.

Anyone else notice that the trainers fighting on TV with the Venasaur and Blastoise were two of the trainers Mewtwo summons in the first film? I thought it was a neat little tidbit.

Also, still salty about Cynthia and Gary getting a cameo but nothing done with it.

But not gonna complain too much, Charmander had a massive part, the movie basically referenced all my favorite parts of the original series, I liked it.

Nov 6, 2017 9:40 PM

Just watched the movie. Honestly just went to get the Pikachu code and had low expectations for the movie but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, not good either.

The beginning felt very rushed and the Butterfree scene was laughable, they should have just skipped over Butterfree entirely. It added nothing to the plot and it was way too obvious that the only reason they added him was for the goodbye scene because it's a fan favorite.

I didn't mind the new characters, I feel like it would have been weird if Brock and Misty were there and they brought those two back in Sun and Moon so I don't really care.

The Marshadow plot made no sense to me lol. It was so cute though and such a little shit that I don't care, I don't look for reason in Pokemon movies.

I feel like there's a lot they could've done better and I wonder why they decided to make this movie at all. I don't see how it adds anything to the franchise and it just seems unnecessary. My favorite part of the movie was when they showed all his companions in the credits, everything else felt out of place.

Nov 7, 2017 6:35 AM
Butterfree was nostalgia pandering and done a tad too fast. We really didn't get much emotional attachment to it, not like the original anime did it that well either given it's lack of a personality and not as much time with it.

It's why the Charmander/Charizard plot worked a lot better because it had a lot more narrative weight to it over the course of the whole movie.

Nov 7, 2017 4:35 PM

I actually loved it. Watched in English dub in theaters today.

I do agree with above post that the Butterfree scene was extremely rushed... I thought it was great but it didn't have as much as an impact as I thought. Charmander arc was amazing, loved that the most. I agree with others that Marshadow plot made no sense. Don't even know why he was there... Like, is he an antagonist or not? He seems random. But I do love his design overall! I'm excited to use him in battle in my Pokemon Moon game since I got a code! :D

New characters were lovely but seemed like clones of predecessors. Didn't like the rival character (Cross) at all, not even at the end. Gary is better. Again, I do agree with others that the new character (Makoto) has a weak backstory. Would have liked to see more from her. The other guy is fine as he is.

One of the things I really enjoyed was that they mixed GEN2+ pokemon such as Piplup, Lucario, Lycanroc, Incineroar, and more! It made it more exciting as we got to see different types as if all generations of Pokemon roamed in one region. I really wish we got to see Rowlet or Mudkip, which are my fave babies ;w;

OH AND. I was happy to see all of the main characters in the ED, like Dawn, May, Brock, Misty etc. :) ♥

8/10

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Nov 12, 2017 1:01 PM

uxie said:
probably the biggest disappointment in a pokemon movie i've watched. they tried to combine new and old and it like didn't mash well at all, the whole thing just felt really awkward with a few tearjerkers mushed inside (the butterfree scene did get me).

souji and makoto literally have 0 redeemable traits to them, her whole problem with her mom is brought up and never solved while souji takes the roll of the annoying nerd rotom-dex clemont-thing. cross is a carbon-copy of paul, literally nothing interesting here. so for characters to be interested in we have some alternate universe ash ketchum which is great and all, but not enough to pull along the whole cast.

team rocket just appears and does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL. marshadow literally observes the whole time which what seems like positive intent, then randomly he just loses his shout out of nowhere and starts attacking the cast? what the hell? then the ending continues to get more fuckier as ash dies and revives with the power of friendship, taking a leaf out of makoto shinkai's book to solve a problem with a bunch of flashing sakuga to patch up the climax easily.

i honestly don't know what the point of this movie was at all. like the selling point seems to be nostalgic tearjerker moments but why didn't they just stick with a simple recap which would've been probably average but at least safer/more enjoyable? i dunno.

This was pretty much my reaction as well. I didn't have any expectations but the film was too bent on nostalgia. The scenes didn't really flow into eachother, awkward cgi placement was distracting, and it made questionable choices that it didn't make any attempt to explain: the highschool au it turned into, the alternate plane of existence ash was in, and worst of all, pikachu talking.

They had a couple of chances to make scenes emotional but they felt too hamfisted, and too derrivative of other more genuine moments (Ash's death in the first movie, and scenes from the first anime).

Nov 12, 2017 10:25 PM

pikachu speaking human language was the worst thing i've ever seen

Nov 14, 2017 5:48 PM

It was okay. I was expecting a bit more because it was the 20th anniversary movie, but it seemed like most of the other films.

What I liked... it had great nostalgia of the original series such as the theme song, moments from the original series, and genuine Ash + Pikachu moments, and they actually fleshed out Sorrel's character quite a bit. The overall idea of the film is cool as well, seeing what would've happened if Ash went to meet Ho-Oh instead.

What I didn't like. Firstly the voice acting, it was terrible. Especially when Pikachu talked. I know *technically* he doesn't talk, Ash is imagining it, but it was still awful. It was cringy. Also why was the voice of a girl? I don't know... the pacing of the film was very off as well, and felt pretty rushed.

When it comes out on home video I'll probably get it because I'm a huge pokemon fan but I was expecting so much more for the 20th anniversary.

Nov 14, 2017 7:54 PM

what the heck, Pikachu talking was just so what the heck????? in the dub, well I'm pretty sure Pikachu talking was ment more as a connection between Ash and Pikachu but it was WEIRD. idk if the japanese version had Pikachu, talked or not but it would be nice if someone can answer that. Overall I still enjoy the movie.

EDIT: nvm the first post also says Pikachu talked

Nov 15, 2017 10:28 PM

My childhood ruined..
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.

Nov 18, 2017 7:44 PM

I loved it! had the nostalgia feels to it by referring back to indigo league. The new characters were likable. The scene with luxray got me plus pikachu's reaction to Ash's death idk sad pikachu always seems to gets me. I'm not sure why they even bothered with team rocket when they were barely in it, they should of interacted with Ash's team at least once, they were kinda just squeezed into the movie for the sake of it. Apart from that, overall it was great movie and probably the top Pokemon movie for me :)

Nov 19, 2017 9:48 PM

Still shocked Pikachu "spoke"

Nov 26, 2017 5:46 AM
~ PR Cheerio ~

Just watched it thanks to Facebook pages uploading it actually.

It was a good film, not going to lie honestly. And I think what I liked about it the most were the last moments because of the connection between Ash and Pikachu was rather genuine, and it actually answers one of the few answers the series never really gave. It makes the experience worth a watch.

I do get when people are complaining when it comes to Pikachu speaking, but at the same time that's really more or less an interpretation of how the scene was looked as. It would probably opened up a plot-hole, but at the same time it wouldn't be the case. The dub acting for Pikachu isn't all that bad and I think if people watched it in Japanese it wouldn't be much of an big deal. Because it wouldn't sound as "cringey" if anything.

My main issue with the film only comes down to the main two characters, since I did said previously that I will look at them as they are: characters. And judging them and giving them a chance. Of course while they aren't bad characters per say they weren't really utilized in its fullest potential unfortunately, despite that. And another thing that kinda ticked me off was the pacing, sometimes I felt like some of the elements were rushed, which doesn't give time to breathe and all. I wish it could have been maybe more time for it to flesh out those parts but I get why they had to rush some parts.

Overall, a good film. Thought it was a mass improvement to the first two which weren't the worst but they didn't left me much of a satisfaction. 7/10

Dec 9, 2017 7:34 AM

Watched it on CITV this morning (in English dub). I have mixed feelings about it unfortunately. I feel like there was much lacking, and the attempts at giving the viewer Nostalgia feels fell short. For example, the scene where he let's go of Butterfree was much more powerful in the original series as you had actually multiple episodes worth of development and character bonding before that point.

Little things like having Erika as the third badge really bugged me too. I understand that in the animated world, there aren't "routes" which force people to do these badges in that order, however for a film which was so heavily reliant on fan service, you would expect small things such as this to be an obvious thing to follow suit with.

The Pikachu speaking scene was cringey, and Team Rocket not getting any decent scenes really disappointing me. I hate being a negative Nancy, but the overall experience didn't satisfy me really.

It was nice to see the relationbship between Ash and Pikachu however, "we used to run like this all the time" did put a smile on my face, and when the characters part ways next to a tree gives me flashbacks to the main series. Some nice animated battles and smooth movements aswell. Overall, gave it a 6/10.

Dec 9, 2017 12:34 PM

uxie said:

Couldn't have written it better myself. It was a rushed movie with tearjerkers shoved in here and there. Didn't enjoy it at all. Things happened so fast, one after the other, not always in a coherent way. Team Rocket could've stayed out of this movie because they contributed literally nothing to the story. The characters were overused characters: The supportive cute friend, the one who knows everything about pokemon and the villain rival who's probably number one hundred at this point of "I will be the best trainer ever" in pokémon history. I also liked how Ash's pokémon constantly evolved while piplup stayed the same forever. This movie was an incoherent mash of "key scenes" put together. Disappointing.

Dec 20, 2017 7:35 AM

The most incredible of this film was that is the first time that Pikachu spoke in the human language, amazing!!!
Great film!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Dec 23, 2017 12:50 AM

Well this was a massive disappointment really. Not because it was bad in its entirety but because it started out so damn good and ended horribly.

At first, I was very skeptical about this new movie because I thought that this was just another attempt to play with Pokemon fans who followed the anime since the beginning's nostalgia but I was proven wrong as it turns out that it's pretty much set in telling its own story. The scenes from the first episode and Charmander's were there and "Bye Bye Butterfree" too but they were very short compared to the original content. It stayed true to its objective to re-imagine Ash's journey. Ash's character development in the movie was great and connected really well to the plot. I feared that the new side characters who replaced Misty and Brock were just going to be sidelined really hard and was just put there to give Ash new companions but I stood corrected once again as they were given their own backstories, albeit short but still concise, and goals in life.

However, it all went downhill towards the end. Even though I pretty much like the new cast, I didn't like Cross, the supposedly rival of Ash, a lot mostly due to him being an exact copy of Paul. From the attitude to his own upbringing of his Pokemon to his goals and even though it tied really well to the original Charmander episode, the way he abandoned Charmander was too similar to Paul abandoning Chimchar. I waited patiently for a point in the movie where he redeems himself but it was futile. All he ever did was act like an asshole and serve as the catalyst for the tragedy to happen all because he saw Ho-oh and it didn't give him its feathers.

I initially ignored all the unbelievable results of the Pokemon battles happening in the movie like motherfvcking Caterpie was able to take on Pinsir toe-to-toe and even had a glimpse of winning or how Pikachu was able to beat Snorlax who accurately landed a Body Slam on it (this mouse bitch is like level 99) or cute little Butterfree scaring off a fvcking Fearow. Charizard vs Incineroar was the last straw though. Are you seriously expecting me to believe that a high level Incineroar lost to a newly evolved Charizard which actually evolved mid battle? Even for anime standards, I still refuse to believe this shit. The writers also conveniently fvcking forgot about Incineroar's ability to become stronger the more it was damaged as if they didn't pull this stunt to crush Charmeleon.

My biggest gripe would probably be because of how underwhelming the plot is. The movie started out great with it capturing the essence of Ash's adventures but then that was it. This whole deal about Ash being the Rainbow Hero is too shallow. There was no meaning in it except that he's the chosen one, as always, who gets the chance to battle Ho-oh. That's basically IT. All the unnecessary commotion was just because a certain asshole decided to fvck things up. They tried to fvcking hard to tug our nostalgia strings with Ash dying once again and Pikachu going super saiyan over it and it failed miserably just like how Diancie and the Cocoon of Evolution failed horribly with its Pikachu "death scene." I swear Ash's Pikachu must be a pseudo-legendary.

Ash battles Ho-oh. The end. 3/10 but I'll give it a 4 for having such a great start.

I almost forgot but Pikachu talking was sooooo fvcking weird. Even though it must have been Ash's imagination but fvck it. Fvck that scene.
Modified by Tohsaka_Rukia, Dec 23, 2017 12:57 AM

Dec 24, 2017 10:52 AM

The wait for the movie was really long but finally I have been able to watch it yesterday. As a huge pokefan, I have decided to wait one day before giving my opinion on the movie cause I knew it wouldn't be subjective just after watching the movie.
Overall, it was good. Not as good as the first three but not as bad as the Genesect one.

What I liked :
-The idea of doing a "reboot" of the beginning of Ash's journey was a risky idea but I am glad OLM took the risk.
With the recent announce of the Movie 21, maybe they are trying to make an "alternate universe" and it can be pretty interesting to see what they are going to do.
-The use of music from the first season (at least in the japanese dub)
-The whole nightmare sequence (Did you notice that Agatha was the teacher ?)
-Rica Matsumoto/Ikue Otani combi

What I disliked :
-What is the point of putting the Team Rocket in the movie if you do nothing with them !
-Shouji and Makoto aren't developed enough (I know it's only 1h30 but still)
-Misty and Brock aren't there (That end credits though)
-There is not that feeling of Ash being close to his Pokemon like in the serie.
For example, the butterfree scene wasn't that sad to me compare to the one in the anime.(Like I said before I know it's harder in that case because of the format)

Just gonna add that the fact that Pikachu talked doesn't really bother me. In my headcanon, he didn't really talk but they just wanted to show that Ash can understand Pikachu's feelings even if Pokemon can't "talk". I mean why would he just randomly just talk for 5 seconds and never do it again.
Modified by Tanma, Dec 24, 2017 10:56 AM

Dec 27, 2017 7:17 PM

Okay, first things first: I like the animation very much and it had a few short scenes with the "aww cute"-feels.
I also appreciate the idea of making a reboot and filling it with some new elements. Really, I looked forward to this nostalgia-bait.

So and now, that's enough of the sweet-talk here. XD
It felt like the Origin-short series: a sequence of nostalgia-bait with too short and very rushed scenes. I really couldn't feel much about these scenes and especially not the same thing like back then in the original series.
Maybe it's just my nostalgia, which kicks in, but I found these scenes were way better executed back then. Satoshi was closer to his team (okay, this was build up over many episodes) and it was more emotional imo. Perhaps they were less emotional here, because I got the feeling that he never really cared about Butterfree in this movie.
Marshadow's presence was kinda pointless, they just needed a story and the whole plot was an asspull srsly.
And so was this edgelord of the year, who got the cheapest "character development" after being bit by this cool-psychotic-looking-werewolf-Pokemon <- don't know many of their English names. XD
Also, the Pokemon lost their personality or let me concretize this: Charmeleon/Charizard lost his whole personality and the reason why I loved this asshole-dragon was gone. :(
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Dec 27, 2017 7:24 PM

Dec 31, 2017 2:10 AM
Kanade♥

2 seconds of Lugia. Already makes it a good movie. Anyway, felt rushed as it would be with only 1 hr 30 mins run time.

7/10. Overall it was fun to watch.

Jan 21, 2018 2:50 AM

really enjoyed this nostalgic trip down memory lane :D

Jan 31, 2018 2:21 PM

Hold on, people were telling me that this was disappointing? It was amazing!

It took literally everything that Pokemon has conveyed to us during the 900+ episodes and put them all into a single movie. And no, I'm not just saying this because of nostalgia, while that does play a roll in my enjoyment the movie was so much more than that.

The only reason I won't reward this a solid 10 is cause Sorrel and Verity were great characters, but underdeveloped. I've seen Ash develope, so I wanted to see a bit more out of them. It's a bit too much asking for a 1 and a half hour long movie but still.

9/10 stunning movie, one of the best Pokemon movies to come out in years

Jan 31, 2018 10:43 PM
I had my reservations about watching this but it was surprisingly refreshing and certainly exceeded my expectations. It's not perfect by any means but the classic scenes combined with new ones made up for it. For example, I saw butterfree's departure scene coming from a mile away but I felt that it was added at just the right moment to highlight Ash's growth and maturity within the context of this film. His initial hesitancy and then realization that he must do what's right for butterfree was great to see. Also, I thought a talking pikachu would be too childish but it was actually done very well and I shed a manly tear. Overall, a great alternative take on Ash's beginning and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
PS: RIP luxray.

Feb 2, 2018 2:31 AM

See the old story being told again without Misty and Brock it very very odd...there's no way to watch all this and don't think about them, I was not expecting much, but yeah, it's a bit disappointing to not see them here.

6/10

Feb 7, 2018 4:54 PM

Finally got around to it in Japanese VA, and it was pretty good. At first I was skeptical of the whole remake idea, especially after the Kanto pandering of the Sun and Moon games, but the reboot is fine compared to those. They finally mix it up a bit from the usual formula that started to get stale of cover legendary stuff happening in this one new area, and made one about a god damn adventure. It flowed pretty well while handling both the Ho-oh in Kanto plot and nostalgia scenes with Ash and a few of his pokemon.

The new characters, Makoto and Souji are about as good as if not better than Misty and Brock. I think its maybe because I don't remember much of Misty and Brock's characters/purpose with Ash, but this movie's companions made a lot more sense. Theres a common goal, just as much or more characterization I expected from pokemon movie only characters, and plenty of contribution from them during the journey. I've always scratched my head at the idea of supposed gym leaders going on a journey with a trainer just starting out on the region, no matter what justifications they give. Making the trainer who abandoned Charmander the main antagonist, redone as Cross, was also a good decision and better than what they did with Gary in Kanto. They gave a little more reason for leaving Charmander (he probably could've used more backstory) with his evolved pokemon, Incineroar and his competitive mindset. Sure, he was edgy, but it wasn't that needless/excessive compared to the other movie antagonists. Made more sense than in the original where Damian was nonsense and having no relevant rival for the majority of the show.

Team Rocket though were just there for fan service as always in these. They should've just put them or some rocket grunts during the montage or something rather than wasting time with them.

As for the plot, again, I like that they pursued the Ho-oh plot string since they haven't really done it. Problem is, the whole legend should have gotten more elaboration. Why and what is a Rainbow Hero? Purpose of the legendaries within this movie? Really sucks that its just a last minute thing that they failed to explain. The journey outside of that though was fine. Enjoyed the backstory of Souji (Makoto taking a backseat was dumb) and the pokemon conflicts (as little as we get of them anywho).

The halfway point of the film where Ash finally loses and his beliefs are challenged by an opposing one is probably the best moment of the movie. Cross was pretty much movie Paul (thats a compliment), but he was still solid in his role. The battle actually made sense, whereas previous shit with Pikachu and hell Caterpie was stupid, Ash's companions give dialogue that actually make them seem like friends and trainers, and Ash gets a conflict and makes believably harsh remarks of his pokemon for a 10 year old. The resolution though, was kind of half-assed. Not that Marshadow basically forced it, but the way it does so was wrong. It should have made him dream about not being late and getting to oak's place in time to choose the pokemon he wanted to start with. This was such a missed opportunity in that we could've gotten a contrasting montage of Ash's journey (and maybe some cameo fan service with the other 3 Kanto trainers) where when he gets to a certain point, he feels something missing. Not freaking a world with no pokemon at all and then he misses his pokemon, that is weak.

The rematch with Cross was pretty good. Love that the bgm they use for it (don't care if this movie had nothing to do with Regi's, the theme is underused and this arrange was better than the anime's) and it was as one of the better fights where they made the pokemon evolve in battle. The resolution between Ash and Cross also pretty good for Cross' character (questionable continuity though) since he learns the hard way of his mistakes (I just like it when the people get physical in pokemon, I don't know why).

And so the last conflict happens. Marshadow didn't make sense from the beginning (though we get a little hint of it when it helps Ash) and was just last minute there, not even fully explained. Again, the godamned Ho-oh legend should've gotten more exposition when they first introduced it. The all out brawl between the trainers and the wild pokemon controlled by Marshadow was cool as well as Marshadow beating Pikachu (thank god).

The 2nd moment of Ash and Pikachu's last stand was dumb in that he does and says almost the exact same thing instead of something a little different so it comes off more of a fanservice moment and the others didn't seem to at least try when all the enemy pokemon started to focus on Ash. Charizard I get, but Souji and Cross? Come now. The scene aside from how it started, contrasted very well with the first time. Thank you writers, Pikachu couldn't do it because yes injuries actually mean something. Thank you Ootani Ikue, that performance was believable with Ash's life was flashing before his very eyes. Holy shit Ash finally gets disintegrated by pokemon attacks (holy hell people are durable in pokemon). Oh my god, Pikachu got in the damned pokeball and had a pretty emotional moment. Okay, what the heck happened afterwards..

Pikachu goes Saiyan and somehow dispels everything. Rainbow portal to limbo thing out of nowhere? And meh Ho-oh legend resolves(?) into a flash forwarded fight. Godamnit, it could've been better. But I enjoyed it enough to write this out and got more invested than I thought. One of the better pokemon movies.

Feb 25, 2018 10:14 AM

Almost turned it off after I saw a fucking caterpie whoop on a Pinsir.

This movie was horrible. All they did was take concept of season 1 and make a new shitty story out of it. They love to trigger old fans by saying shit like beating Erika was the "3rd badge". And then trying to soften the blow with things like the Butterfree scene.

I don't even know what they were thinking with that pikachu talking scene. That shit was a joke. The new characters were ok. The rival was just a rehashed Paul from D/P. The ONLY saving grace of this movie was the progression of charmander.

4/10

Mar 8, 2018 3:14 AM

I actually quite enjoyed this movie but watched the dubbed version and it wasn't too bad. Pokemon dubbed is actually quite nice.

Apr 16, 2018 7:19 PM
𝙆𝙖𝙠 𝙆𝙖𝙣 🍊

That was a very lovely movie. A bit surprised that Misty/Brock weren't like part of the story in the movie. I suppose this was in a different timeline where they don't meet. Now it was nice to see Ash travel with different companions. Some events were similar but with different approach.
So Ash's really only used Pikachu to get his 3rd badge, and he beat Erika who is in Celedon City. Not to mention he only had 3 Pokemon throughout his journey up until he released Butterfree. Overall I found Ash releasing Butterfree not as powerful compared to the TV series. Maybe the soundtrack added more meaning or how it felt rushed in the movie/
So in this timeline multiple Gen Pokemon are a lot more common or not new. It just felt weird for me to see Alolan Pokemon in this movie since I expected just Gen 1 Pokemon. They didn't really fit with the movie in my opinion.
So out of the legendary dogs, Raikou seems to be short tempered.

I didn't really like the new rival. He felt more like a try hard compared to Ash's previous rivals, Gary and Paul. On the case with Paul, at least he was a better trainer in my opinion.
Overall the movie was alright, it's nice that they focused the movie on Ho-Oh. In my opinion Ho-Oh never really got the treatment it deserved.
The battle on the mountain between Pkachu/Ash vs the other Pokemon was really sad. Like to see Pikachu talk and inside its Pokeball for the first time, like so touching. In my opinion seeing Pikachu be with Ash for so many years, one can tell how Pikachu feels about Ash. But yes the scene was touching, not gonna lie it did make me tear up. And in the end they battled Ho-Oh, I thought Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire attack was quite majestic. I'll go ahead and give it an 8/10. i liked the concept and it felt like a different change of pace with new characters.

Apr 30, 2018 7:48 AM
Is this the 1 where pikachu talkee

May 1, 2018 1:50 AM

Honestly this was so good, first time I cried for a Pokemon Movie

May 8, 2018 2:04 PM

Just saw the movie!!! T_T
One of the best Pokemon movies out there <3

THE FEELS
I SWEAR I AM NOT CRYING

May 12, 2018 2:36 AM

9/10 this show is my childhood, made me cry a bit but more importantly the nostalgia, vibes, and happiness made me feel like I'm a child again :)

May 17, 2018 9:49 AM

Ho-oh deserved a better movie.

May 25, 2018 7:36 AM

One of the best Pokemon movie. Lots of feels, and all those nostalgia.

Sep 29, 2018 4:35 PM

Feel like other Pokemon movies: there were few good scenes, but also some of the action were going too fast...

Oct 22, 2018 11:09 AM

Thought it was one of the best Pokemon movies, or maybe, after a sequence of really bad Pokemon movies this one just felt like a breath of fresh air.

Liked how it manages to be quite a nostalgic ride for the original fans of the series while still having enough new content for it to not just be a retelling of the series.
I liked the use of legendaries as well, as they were not the sole focus this time and never felt too shoehorned unlike those in the Hoopa movie.

A few things were pretty poor though, for example Team Rocket who were just there for comic relief despite they being slightly dangerous at the start of the series and the rival being yet another shallow "I only care about strength, everything else is trash" character.
Pikachu "talking" felt also very awkward and out of place but those are just a few nitpicks.

Overall very enjoyable.

Modified by Halicone, Oct 22, 2018 2:08 PM

Nov 27, 2018 9:19 PM

as much as i enjoy Sun/Moon...this movie is sure proof that Ash's story should've ended at XYZ and this should be like a final farewell especially seeing all of Ash's travel buddies in the closing credits which is pretty tearjerkery in its own right (because it felt like they are offscreen killed off since its a separate continuity reboot)

like a few commenters above me, wish they shoulda shown something concerning Verity and her mom just like how they did with Sorrel and Luxray

overall i liked it obviously for the nostalgia...the updated old-school music takes me way back. i usually avoid Pokemon movies mostly because they tend to be darker and they always find some way to kill someone or pokemon to try to tug at the heart strings. while its not dark 80% of the time, they sure are guilty of the latter...*braces for Power of Us*

Jan 9, 3:36 PM

Is Bonjii just Red who's now an old man?

Mar 4, 11:38 PM

WTF! The logo is in English? I thought they were just showing it off for the trailer.
Hey! It's the trainers from the 1st movie.
Satoshi!
He said the name of the title! Roll credits!
Okaasan!
Satoshi chose Zenigame, but someone took it already.
Roll credits!
Pikachu. Why is it not fat?
Pikachu's Monster ball.
lol at Pikachu smacking the Monster ball back at Satoshi.
A Poppo.
IKE! Monster ball!
LMAO The legendary rock scene is reenacted.
Onisuzume. It begins!
Pikachu got fucked up.
Dat jump.
Jewmanbolto!
In just 5 minutes, Pikachu went from hating Satoshi to liking him.
What is that rainbow looking bird?
A feather?
MEZASE POKEMON MASTER!
Satoshi won.
Rocket-dan?
Entei?
There it is.
Entei looking at Satoshi like... You don't remember me nigga?
Pikachu with the Jewmanbolto!
lol at Satoshi's ass on fire.
Entei left.
Her name is Makoto. His name is Souji.
A battle.
Battle was interrupted by Iwake.
Tomare!
A Hitokage in the rain.
Dat kick. Where PETA at?
Satoshi got headbutt'd.
His name is Cross.
Entei is back.
Houou.
Raikou, Suikun, and Entei.
What is that behind Entei?

And that was the end. It was ok. Got excited singing Mezase pokemon Master.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).