Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 23, 2017 7:57 PM
Jun 2017
Whenever I see someone recommend or talk about a anime series, they always use the Japanese name. Like instead of writing Food Wars! They write Shokugeki no Soma or instead of Attack on Titan they write Shingeki no Kyojin. It seems really unnecessary when you have a English version of the name.

This is especially relevant to newcomers in the community. When I first started watching anime, I would ask for recommendations and get confused when someone would write a Japanese name. I remember thinking (and I still think this) "why not just write Attack on Titan?"

TRIGGER WARNING

To be honest, it makes you look weebish. That's just my opinion and I'm not trying to insult anyone but, why? Like, just write the American name dude.

I like subs as much as the next guy and enjoy Japanese culture but I'm not gonna use Japanese names. I put that stuff in the same category as saying Kawaii or adding honorifics to people's names.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 23, 2017 8:14 PM

Nov 2011
i just use the name that's easier to remember and shorter: AoT over shingeki whatever, gochuusagi over
is the order a rabbit, though in many cases the names in Japanese and English are the same - such as Shirobako, Aikatsu, Love Live, Non Non Biyori, etc...
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 23, 2017 8:22 PM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani-kun it'll be daijobou, ne?
Just be glad it's in romanji ok

私の毛深い嫌いな人にキス
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jul 23, 2017 8:26 PM
Jun 2017
Ikaros_42oh said:

私の毛深い嫌いな人にキス
You should have said "trigger warning" because I've had really bad experiences with Japanese and honorifics

But in all seriousness, gr8 b8 m8, ir8 8/8.
Jul 23, 2017 8:34 PM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

私の毛深い嫌いな人にキス
You should have said "trigger warning" because I've had really bad experiences with Japanese and honorifics
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/vk7VesvyZEwuI/giphy.gif[img]

But in all seriousness, gr8 b8 m8, ir8 8/8.

Hmmm what was your bad experience? Did you call a random girl -tan?

But in all seriousness, it's not especially hard or inconvenient to remember two often similar names and MAL lists both english/Japanese so it's not a problem

または、あなたのパワーレベルを高め、日本、normieを学ぶことができました

Jul 23, 2017 8:52 PM
Jun 2015
I use whatever title the anime has, unless it's something like attack on titan.
Jul 23, 2017 8:55 PM

Jun 2014
Because that is what the show is called?
Jul 23, 2017 9:23 PM

Jun 2011
Dunno why you would ask that on MAL of all places, where the site admins themselves are anal about keeping the Japanese names.
Jul 23, 2017 9:25 PM
Feb 2014
>Reddit Spacing
Congrats OP, you played yourself.
Jul 23, 2017 9:30 PM

Dec 2015
I don't think it's weebish, but I do think its extra unnecessary.
Eh.
Jul 23, 2017 9:31 PM
Jun 2017
Nico- said:
>Reddit Spacing
Not sure what "Reddit spacing" is. I'm assuming it's a taboo on MAL though with your reaction and all
Jul 23, 2017 9:31 PM
Jun 2017
Kagami said:
A simplified answer coming from a simple man huh? I can get with that
Jul 23, 2017 9:32 PM
Jun 2017
Narmy said:
Dunno why you would ask that on MAL of all places, where the site admins themselves are anal about keeping the Japanese names.
I don't frequent other forum sites so all the questions I have, I ask you guys
Jul 23, 2017 9:33 PM
Jun 2017
Sivvi said:
I don't think it's weebish, but I do think its extra unnecessary.
I only said weebish because I put it in the same category as the things we associate with weaboos
Jul 23, 2017 9:51 PM

Jul 2017
I cannot speak for others, but as a student of Japanese linguistics I actually use anime and other Japanese media to keep up on the language. Also, I find it more respectful to use the original title of media wherever possible. English translations, frankly, suck horribly even in titles, or so I have experienced.

One great example is subtitles. I can;t stand those horrible things. Most people don;t let it bother them because they know absolutely none of the language at all (if they did they wouldn't need subtitles), but when one does start learning a language, and I am not meaning just Japanese here, then the absolute horrible differences in translations become so prominent that they are just painful to watch.

Just today one of my co-workers and I were watching an Anime at work (it;s a hard life, I know). He does not know Japanese, so he had subtitles on ... most of the show I was face-palming because most of the actual Japanese sentences weren't even in the same bloody ballpark as the idiotic text that appeared on the screen. It was a VERY classic example of "ignorance is bliss".

So, what does this have to do with Anime titles? It is much the same thing. For some reason I have noticed that the English translations of many titles out there do not match up well with the Japanese title. Most people would try to rationalize by saying, "Oh it's because there is no English translation for "insert x here". That is absolutely not the case with Japanese. In fact, with the exception of specific names or fictional organization acronyms, there is indeed a perfect English translation for almost every Japanese phrase out there.

So do I use Japanese titles to try to look cool? No. I could care less if anyone thinks I am "cool" or not. If I were here to look cool or make friends, I would not be sharing my honest opinions and observations on an open forum. For me, using the original Japanese Title is just a show of respect to the original author of that title.

Now that doesn't mean I ignore English altogether. All the time I'll toss a title at someone and they have issues either pronouncing it or looking it up, to which I'll say, "Hey, you might want to try the English title, "insert title here". If it helps them find it, then cool. I obviously do not expect everyone to be able to understand or look up Japanese. But I always use it as a first resort ... again, out of respect to the author(s) of the title itself.

It is pretty much the same as, say, you had a Japanese name which translates to something specific. Which, let's face it, all Japanese names do. We'll use a favorite actor of mine from Star Trek - Hikaru Sulu, who as many of us know is Japanese. Hikaru means "Light". I speak English, so if I met him, would I call him "Light"? No, I'd call him ... okay, well I'd call him Sulu San, but if we were on a first name basis I'd call him "Hikaru", not "Light".

I like to think that the name of an Anime is like the name of a person ... unless I have to translate it for a specific purpose, I prefer to stick to the original name.

Before I end with that, I want to make a disclaimer and say there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with people using English names, and to me it is just as acceptable. Your post specifically asks why I, as an individual, would toss you the Japanese name, and that is what my answer is based on. Personally I do not consider it unnecessary just because there is an English translation.

Unfortunately, it is a fact that most English titles for Anime were made by the English market as they try to put those titles out for sale to the English speaking community, and honestly a lot of those titles make Japanese speakers cringe with how horrible the translations end up.

I hope this helps as far as my point of view. In this regard no one is right or wrong with what version of a title they prefer.
Jul 23, 2017 9:53 PM
Feb 2014
Kuraokani said:
Nico- said:
>Reddit Spacing
Not sure what "Reddit spacing" is. I'm assuming it's a taboo on MAL though with your reaction and all

It means you're new and you most likely came from Reddit.
Jul 23, 2017 9:58 PM

Apr 2017
Nico- said:
Kuraokani said:

It means you're new and you most likely came from Reddit.

"""You Have To Go Back"""

Jul 23, 2017 10:03 PM

Nov 2014
Kagami said:

This.

Not to mention, english names are often pretty stupid and hard to guess what anime is this. I mean stuff like Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Another thing is that some titles have no english version, so it's easier for unification's sake to stick with original title.
Jul 23, 2017 11:57 PM

Jun 2011
Sometimes, because people are international and NOT from an English speaking country. Also going to put it out there there was a time when Yu Yu Hakusho was called Poltergeist Report and that name is garbage.

Oh and lets not forget Working! is called Wagnaria in the localized title.
Energetic-NovaJul 24, 2017 12:01 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 24, 2017 12:10 AM

Mar 2008
Because the names are really stupid sounding so you can hide it by using a language you dont know.
Jul 24, 2017 12:25 AM

Sep 2015
Cause it came from Japan, I'm not gonna stop calling Japanese anime by their original names and be a normie that wants everything in English.
Jul 24, 2017 12:40 AM

Nov 2009
Terkhev said:
Kagami said:

This.

Not to mention, english names are often pretty stupid and hard to guess what anime is this. I mean stuff like Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Another thing is that some titles have no english version, so it's easier for unification's sake to stick with original title.

I agree with all of this. And yes, there ARE a lot of bad English titles. A great example is Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora, which translates to Kyoushirou and the Eternal Sky...and yet for some reason the localization team chose to call it "Shattered Angels." Get the fuck out.

On top of that, there have been a lot of cases where I knew the Japanese name first and I wasn't even aware of the English name. I legit didn't realize that when people say Shokugeki no Soma and Food Wars, they were talking about the same show until I read this thread. If I learn the English name first and it isn't stupid, I'll sometimes use them interchangeably, but I usually favor the Japanese.

My last point was already mentioned: it's the show's name. I prefer calling it what it was meant to be called, rather than some English title that may or may not be a translation of the title. I don't get triggered when people use the English title when I prefer the Japanese; if I want to check what we're talking about, a quick MAL search does the trick. There's nothing weeby about it...it's not to show off. It's just a preference.
Jul 24, 2017 12:57 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not from an english-speaking country so why would I use anime names that I'm not familar with? I use japanese ones cause they're default on MAL, I see them all the time on my list and I remember them thanks to this, I don't even know most of english titles and when people use them I often need to google them to know what show they're talking about. For the most popular shows like AoT I use abbreviations anyway, and I use jap and eng ones interchangeably (whatever comes to my mind first) because they're so common you just get used to both versions.
fuyukiJul 24, 2017 1:54 PM
Jul 24, 2017 12:59 AM

Dec 2012
Because Japanese names generally have a better ring to them. "Shokugeki no Souma" sounds like it's about to get real. "Food Wars" just makes it seem like some kids throw meat loaf at each other in the cafeteria. "Boku no Hero Academia" just rolls off my tongue easier than saying "My Hero Academia." Just does. Can't help you there. Weeb me if you want, but it's far different from purposely using broken Japanese while sporadically screaming "UGUU" or "NYAA!"

That and I don't even know half of the English translated titles. Never seems important enough to find out. I never would have been able to tell you that "Yama no Susume" had an English name until just now.

Jul 24, 2017 1:05 AM
Feb 2017
this is the dumbest shit i've seen so far on the forums.
Jul 24, 2017 1:22 AM

May 2013
woah ho man nothin wrong with learning a little bit of japanese. Nihongo o wakarimasyoo desu. ^^

I mean sometimes I do say it in Japanese or at least try to.

Kobayashi San Chi no Maido Dragon wa yokatta desu yo.

I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 24, 2017 1:32 AM
Jul 2018
The English names are translated dumbly, or I'm completely unfamiliar with the English name since I watch the release in Japanese under a Japanese title (also known as: not on a legal site where they give every series an English title… when my legalfag friends started using crunchyroll title jargon I had nooo idea what series' they were talking about). There're some that are known by their English names more that I'll tend to use (Ouran High School Host Club, for example), but otherwise I'll either switch between English and Japanese or strictly use the Japanese title. Also, some titles are nonsense and don't even translate to English properly (Haikyuu, Durarara, Baccano, *bizzaro onomatopoeia effect title here*), or are already conveniently in English.
Jul 24, 2017 1:32 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
In my personal case it is not limited to japanese names of things. I always prefer the original name of a movie/series. This is also the case with hollywood movies. I will always use the original title instead of the translated one if I know them of course.

The original staff had their thoughts about the name giving of their product and I value this. Nothing more and nothing less.

I also call Aliens - Aliens and I do not call it Aliens - die Rückkehr. Why should I ? Because the second one is the germanised title ?? Nope, I refuse.
Jul 24, 2017 1:33 AM

May 2010
xrockxz89 said:
woah ho man nothin wrong with learning a little bit of japanese. Nihongo o wakarimasyoo desu. ^^
There's nothing wrong learning Japanese, but there's something very wrong with your romanization.

I prefer to use Japanese titles because they're the only real title. A show name can be translated in multiple correct ways by different fansub groups, not to mention incorrect ways. Of course you can just use the official English translation, but there isn't always one, especially if the show isn't licensed, and the official title is sometimes flagrantly retarded. Someone mentioned Wagnaria; there's also the fact that Ikki Tousen was called Battle Vixens according to Wikipedia until recently. And even if it's a fine translation, seeing the whole title in English just rubs me the wrong way most of the time.

I hope MAL keeps the titles in Japanese, or at least always leaves us the option to do so. I'd also like to have the option to put it in kanji and kana, if they're really interested in authenticity...
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Jul 24, 2017 1:35 AM

May 2013
my romanization is flawless scrub, that's how it was taught in my book.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 24, 2017 1:36 AM

May 2010
xrockxz89 said:
Well if your book says it, it must be right.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Jul 24, 2017 1:41 AM

Apr 2016
I prefer Japanese names mainly because i refuse to use your capitalist western *americapatriotsmcdonaldbestintheworldfreeeedom language.
Jul 24, 2017 1:42 AM

May 2013
byakugami said:
xrockxz89 said:
Well if your book says it, it must be right.

glad we agree on that count butterball
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 24, 2017 1:44 AM

May 2010
Does anyone know why it says Fullmetal Alchemist instead of Hagane no Renkinjutsushi?

Jul 24, 2017 1:45 AM

Jul 2013
Depends what's easier, helps too that a lot of the Japanese names get shortened versions. Like I'd rather say Oreimo than Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai but there is no short version of My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute.
Jul 24, 2017 1:49 AM

May 2010
Aka_Saber said:
Depends what's easier, helps too that a lot of the Japanese names get shortened versions. Like I'd rather say Oreimo than Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai but there is no short version of My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute.
Not to mention I imagine you wouldn't feel comfortable saying that out loud in most situations.

I'm just glad MAL uses correct romanization. If I had to look at Syoonen Onmyooji and Hoooo no miko, I think I'd prefer English. But again, Japanese characters would solve the transliteration problem.

Jul 24, 2017 1:57 AM
Aug 2016
Well, I use both english and japanese version when I'm talking about anime. Sometimes I use english, and sometimes I use japanese. For me it doesn't really matter wich version it's use as long as we talk about the same anime. But sometimes the english translation is wrong, and I prefer to use the correct version, and that's the original one, the japanese. Remember, I said sometimes, not always.
Jul 24, 2017 2:42 AM

May 2017
Simply because I'm more familiar with the anime's Japanese title. I usually don't look at the english equivalent of it.

Imagine my shock when I learned just recently that "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" and "Erased" are the same XD

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

Jul 24, 2017 2:55 AM
Aug 2016
kawaii96desu said:
Because not everyone is an *******c american. Is that what you wanted to hear? I still get triggered every time someone says something like "Erased". It's not even a direct translation how am I supposed to know what that even means?

MAL also uses "Japanese" anime names. Or as normal people use to call them - anime names. Because there is no such thing as an "american name" or whatever. Just because Shokugeki no Soma is translated as Food Wars in your crappy language doesn't mean that the rest of the world should be also using it.

This is honestly the dumbest thread I've read in a while.

LOL, your answer was really funny, but also very right. It might sound kind of harsh, but the truth is always harsh.
Jul 24, 2017 3:06 AM

Mar 2012
Kuraokani said:
To be honest, it makes you look weebish. That's just my opinion and I'm not trying to insult anyone but, why? Like, just write the American name dude.
But I'm not American dude. What's the word for Asian people who try to act overly westernized again? I'd rather be a weeb than be Americanized any day.

I just use whatever seems easier to remember and more convenient. For the ones I've watched on TV I know their English titles but even then some of them tend to be different than the "American" titles or maybe the English title listed here or on most other sites. Ginban Kaleidoscope was called "Rink of Glory" when Animax aired it here but the English title listed on most sites including MAL is "Skating Rink Kaleidoscope". Besides when you are searching for anime, quite a lot of sites including (illegal) streaming sites list them using their Japanese title, as a result I get used to their Japanese name, I don't want to go the extra mile to search for what it is called in English. Some English titles are not even close to what the original Japanese title meant. The official English title of Kyo Kara Maoh (lit. Starting today I'm the Demon King or Demon King from Today) is "God(?) Save Our King!" for example.

Maou_heikaJul 24, 2017 3:11 AM
Jul 24, 2017 3:09 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
lol this thread is so serious.

i just shorten it (bnha, mp100, hxh) or however i say it in my head. it's not that deep.
Jul 24, 2017 4:10 AM

Jun 2016
I use whichever version has the shortest understandable abbreviation, it varies by each anime, it raises surprisingly little confusion when I use them around other fellas so yay.
Jul 24, 2017 4:25 AM

Aug 2012
You get more weeaboo credits, that's basically it.
Jul 24, 2017 4:29 AM

Dec 2012
Well I might call it Ataque a los titanes to be less weebish, following that logic.
I use whatever is easier to me or the first title I read, and following this, it's shingeki no kyojin.

kawaii96desu said:
Because not everyone is an *******c american. Is that what you wanted to hear? I still get triggered every time someone says something like "Erased". It's not even a direct translation how am I supposed to know what that even means?.

And this.
Jul 24, 2017 4:36 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
Narmy said:
I don't frequent other forum sites so all the questions I have, I ask you guys
I can relate to that.

ot, not all english names are as well known as aot, its like literally the most famous english name. hell they used that in the live action too.......

and most anime I know [& love] come with default roman names instead of jap ones....
K-ON!
cardcaptor Sakura
Hunter Hunter
fma > fmab
Helsing < Helsing [yes there 2 of both those]
Heart: Wild Striker
Getbackers
Kiniro Mosaic
Jul 24, 2017 5:34 AM

Mar 2014
Why do non English speaking people often use the English Hollywood film names instead of the [insert foreign language] one?

Obviously it's because they're rabid Anglophiles who do nothing but jack off to the American flag all day long and not because it's the original name/they want to use the more well known name/it could be the name they heard first! Fuck those disgusting Anglophiles man!
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 24, 2017 5:39 AM

May 2012
Ikr, I don't even recognize half the shit on my list
Jul 24, 2017 5:39 AM

Mar 2016
I just use whichever title sounds better, or is shorter. Eh.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jul 24, 2017 5:41 AM

Oct 2016
Because it is easier to refer to them instead of the non-Japanese names for anyone.
Jul 24, 2017 6:05 AM

Sep 2015
A lot of times the English translation isn't very accurate
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 7 hours ago

12 by GinIonSui »»
7 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

12 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» MAL Sakuga Club

aemnTheTroll - Apr 16

18 by aemnTheTroll »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

31 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

59 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.