Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 2017 2:14 PM

Mar 2014
Shut_up_Shinji said:
Petalview said:

Because of various Anime Conventions which previewed the first episode. For now, the ratings of the people mirror what these people think of the first episode.

I also went to the Europe premiere and I also rated this show already REALLY high. Usually, I wait to give a rating for a series after having seen a few episode of it, this one is an exception. Though, the rating might drop, if the quality/story/animation doesn't stay on the same level.

Anyway, just to say it like this: I haven't seen such a good and promising first episode of an anime for years(!). And I watch anime frequently...

Sorry, I understand people complaining about others who give ratings after just watching one episode, I also kinda understand people who give a rating after just watching one episode (after all I did in this case, too...), what I don't understand are people who aren't even interested in a show and give a bad rating just so that the ratings might drop. You don't even know if it is good or not, not even based from the first episode...

You make quite a valid point there,

Have you seen The Ancient Magus Bride? I had the feeling you are describing right now with that anime. After I saw the trailer I bought the first vol of the manga. Now I own all of them up untill now, and I am very hyped for whats next to come.

No, I haven't seen it yet, but I only heard good things about this show. I highly favor one of the producing studios. I usually like productions/co-productions from Shochiku quite a lot. At least as far I've seen movies or anime series. Thanks for this nice reminder/the recommendation! I put The Ancient Magus Bride now on my Plan to Watch List.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2017 3:39 AM

Jun 2016
i gave up looking for justice a long time ago
Sep 3, 2017 12:37 PM

Jun 2016
i'm sure a lot of people giving it a 10 also didn't even see the first episode so i don't think it is wrong giving it a 1 too
Sep 3, 2017 4:21 PM
Feb 2015
trolls probably wont mark it as completed so i wouldnt worry
Sep 5, 2017 11:37 PM

May 2015
AyumiVk said:
i'm sure a lot of people giving it a 10 also didn't even see the first episode so i don't think it is wrong giving it a 1 too

Both sides are wrong.

Sep 7, 2017 10:26 PM

Mar 2014
Kittens-kun said:
AyumiVk said:

Both sides are wrong.

I agree with you on that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2017 10:50 PM

Nov 2013
Because it shouldn't have been rated so highly anyway, precisely for the same reason you stated, it hasn't aired yet.
Sep 12, 2017 7:03 AM

Jun 2010
I feel that both sides are wrong here. Someone should not give an anime 10 if he only ever saw a preview of the first episode. And the same can be said for people who gave it 1.
LalakoboldslayerSep 12, 2017 7:07 AM
Sep 12, 2017 7:07 AM

Jan 2014
People's view can change over time. It's probably that.. so in this case, their opinion changed slightly on the trailer?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 13, 2017 3:07 PM

Sep 2015
I'm not a fan of ratting shows 1. but it's seriously high rated although it didn't even start
Sep 14, 2017 4:12 AM

Mar 2014
@Zelev @-NeW-

I went to the Europe premiere and I rated this show already REALLY high. Usually, I wait to give a rating for a series after having seen a few episode of it, this one is an exception. Though, the rating might drop, if the quality/story/animation doesn't stay on the same level.

Anyway, just to say it like this: I haven't seen such a good and promising first episode of an anime for years(!). And I watch anime frequently...
Oct 1, 2017 12:45 AM
Sep 2016
Yaboku said:
I got really mad when I saw that 93 people have given this anime a 1/10. Same for Noragami.

I've never understood how people can hate noragami. If they had ever bothered to read the manga, they'd know that it's actually one of the most compelling and well written projects out there.
Oct 1, 2017 8:53 AM

Mar 2014
Ketamigo said:
Yaboku said:
I got really mad when I saw that 93 people have given this anime a 1/10. Same for Noragami.

I've never understood how people can hate noragami. If they had ever bothered to read the manga, they'd know that it's actually one of the most compelling and well written projects out there.

I really like the Anime, too!
Oct 1, 2017 9:00 AM

Sep 2017
The drama is strong in this one.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 1, 2017 9:46 AM

Mar 2014
Turtles_Hunter said:
Maybe you should make peace with the idea that most of the mal community is composed of hater who think their taste are the best, and everything else is bad. That they feel the need to puke on what a little popular and severly lack critical thinking and common sense. They rate things with some defaults as very bad but aren't able to see the exact same ones in the shows they like. Once you've made peace with that idea, you'll stop caring about all this shit.

I rather believe in the good part of the MAL community than to accept that the majority might be like that. Aren't we/ our community lost if we stop caring? Well, the anime community is a small part but still a part of our overall community of the world, too.

nymi said:
The drama is strong in this one.

It truly is. xD :P
Oct 1, 2017 1:04 PM
May 2017
The question shouldn't be why the rating is decreasing, but why there is a rating at all for an anime that hasn't even been released. THe fact that this has been hogging this seasons top 5 airing list is a mistake that MAL has to fix. The fact that people are understandably annoyed by this glitch can explain the falling score
Oct 2, 2017 2:36 AM

Jan 2015
I don't care so much about ratings since I don't even rate my list properly, but this "I rate it after 1 episode" etc ruins the system for those who like to check the numbers. How come you understand/love/hate everything about a series if you barely watched it?

Rating should only be unlocked if a certain number of episodes has been watched by the user.
Oct 3, 2017 4:27 AM

Jul 2013
How does this anime even have ratings and is >constantly< "currently airing" while having 0 episodes at the moment? I haven't rated this series but have it on my PTW list for a long time. MAL should change it's status to "not yet aired", this might stop the blind hate/love the series gets. All 10 and 1 point ratings are pointless. MAL shouldn't allow any ratings until half the episodes actually aired imo.

It's a bit similiar with Mahoutsukai no Yome, does it acutally air this season or is it also planned for 2018 (like Violet Evergarden)? A lot of the hate might result from the broken af "currently airing" status.
Oct 3, 2017 6:29 AM

Sep 2016
Ketamigo said:
Yaboku said:

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't say "The anime shouldn't have low ratings because the manga was good"
It's utterly meaningless. A great manga can have an awful adaptation, and vice versa.
Also why should I have to read the manga to enjoy the show? I like Norogami (haven't marked it as it's been a while), but I'd never expect someone to read the manga to enjoy the anime.

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Oct 3, 2017 9:42 AM
Apr 2017
moodie said:
Suprised ppl arent looking at the opposite. How it has such a high score for a series that i bet most ppl rating it didnt even watch.

It goes both ways.

Someone give it a 10 and intend to watch it will change the score if they feel disappointed, but someone give 1/10 and don't intend to watch it won't ever change the score. In long term, the first type won't be different from the one rate it after watched the movie but the latter type is different. Of course there're also people give it 10 now and don't intend to change the rate later, but that's not everyone.

Imo, it's better to give high rate now and watch it in the future than give it low rate and never intend to watch it.
verify_unripeOct 3, 2017 9:45 AM
Oct 3, 2017 2:50 PM

Apr 2014
lazyboy76 said:
moodie said:
Suprised ppl arent looking at the opposite. How it has such a high score for a series that i bet most ppl rating it didnt even watch.

It goes both ways.

Someone give it a 10 and intend to watch it will change the score if they feel disappointed, but someone give 1/10 and don't intend to watch it won't ever change the score. In long term, the first type won't be different from the one rate it after watched the movie but the latter type is different. Of course there're also people give it 10 now and don't intend to change the rate later, but that's not everyone.

Imo, it's better to give high rate now and watch it in the future than give it low rate and never intend to watch it.
imo both are stupid and defending either is dumb as well which is why i dont care for scores nor should anyone else
Oct 3, 2017 7:50 PM
Apr 2017
moodie said:
lazyboy76 said:

imo both are stupid and defending either is dumb as well which is why i dont care for scores nor should anyone else

I just want to say that those people give 10 before watching it are pretty harmless, that why no one really care about. Both are stupid, but for me the intent is as important as actions, either if they rate it high because they had seen part it or they haven't seen it but think it's promising is fine, but rate something low even when you don't know how bad it is is a totally different problems. It's like when something shiny shiny came out, someone might rate it high even when they haven't try it, I also find it stupid but I might do it sometimes or all the times, rating that thing low because there're too many people rate that thing high is more malicious than stupid.

In short, I think people care more about malicious intents than stupid actions, no matter what the outcome is.

Also I don't really care about score, there're a bunch of show in the top list (more than half) I may give low score (lower than 5) but there's no point to do that if I don't like the genre or don't care about the show.
Sorry about my long random respond.
Oct 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Oct 2007
You guys are having too much free time worrying about other people rating their anime. Is this some kind of competition where you get a medal if you rate all the show correctly?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 7, 2017 1:39 AM
Sep 2016
Sharpoint said:
Ketamigo said:

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't say "The anime shouldn't have low ratings because the manga was good"
It's utterly meaningless. A great manga can have an awful adaptation, and vice versa.
Also why should I have to read the manga to enjoy the show? I like Norogami (haven't marked it as it's been a while), but I'd never expect someone to read the manga to enjoy the anime.

I never said someone couldn't give a bad score to an anime simply because they didn't have the full experience/context from reading the manga, I just find it sad that peoples initial impression of the show is typically what drives them to leave a mediocre score.

If they had stuck through to the end, I sincerely doubt they would have been able to overlook what pans out to be a pretty deep and emotional story.

Peoples ratings on MAL in general are so grossly inconsistent with actual merit that it is kind of maddening. For some reason, Anime Ratings seem to be the most emotionally based out of any form of entertainment. People seem to judge an anime more do to hype, sexual preference, or simply what fucking mood they are in on the day they decide to rate something. There's also been a massive problem (like this thread addresses) with people spitefully negatively rating things for a various number of emotional reasons.

Then, there is the cancer of the Moe/Loli obsession that has tended to ruin anime in a wholesale way, but thats a whole other conversation.
Oct 7, 2017 1:51 AM
Sep 2016
Turtles_Hunter said:
Maybe you should make peace with the idea that most of the mal community is composed of hater who think their taste are the best, and everything else is bad. That they feel the need to puke on what a little popular and severly lack critical thinking and common sense. They rate things with some defaults as very bad but aren't able to see the exact same ones in the shows they like. Once you've made peace with that idea, you'll stop caring about all this shit.

Trends in the way people rate anime are totally inconsistent, and you are correct in determining that that inconsistency stems from emotional (hater) instincts rather than from critical analysis.

This seems to be a much larger issue with anime fans than say, music or traditional film ratings. The sheer number of 1,2, and 3 ratings on shows that are generally critically lauded (as in, having been judged by their artistic merit, both in script and in the artistry) is baffling and an obvious indication that people simply hate on specific anime for a variety of mentally retarded reasons. You can see this when people are Rating 10's on anime that are subjectively worse that the ones they claim to hate. This is typically because the anime that they "love" either cater to some irrelevant niche like Fan service, Loli's, ect. Or simply because said anime is "less mainstream" (Even if it is actually even more pleb and retarded than the one they consider "mainstream". )

Perfect example: No Game No Life is total trash. From A critical perspective, there are no redeeming qualities to that show. The story is terribly weak- from its entire setup, to its terrible scripts from episode to episode, to the tired troupe of brother/sister love/ but with the "step" twist added in. The animation is also lazy and dated. However, many people who harshly criticized ERASED for having a weak narrative, or being a rushed adaptation, or for being overly praised, gave No Game No Life fantastic reviews simply because they are closet pedo's with a Freudian thirst for their little sisters vag.
Oct 7, 2017 3:55 AM

Sep 2016
Ketamigo said:
Sharpoint said:

I never said someone couldn't give a bad score to an anime simply because they didn't have the full experience/context from reading the manga, I just find it sad that peoples initial impression of the show is typically what drives them to leave a mediocre score.

If they had stuck through to the end, I sincerely doubt they would have been able to overlook what pans out to be a pretty deep and emotional story.

Peoples ratings on MAL in general are so grossly inconsistent with actual merit that it is kind of maddening. For some reason, Anime Ratings seem to be the most emotionally based out of any form of entertainment. People seem to judge an anime more do to hype, sexual preference, or simply what fucking mood they are in on the day they decide to rate something. There's also been a massive problem (like this thread addresses) with people spitefully negatively rating things for a various number of emotional reasons.

Then, there is the cancer of the Moe/Loli obsession that has tended to ruin anime in a wholesale way, but thats a whole other conversation.

While I do occasionally score anime, and quite liberally at that, I can't see the obsession with scoring in the first place. You shouldn't be able to score shows that have 0 episodes listed, because some people may have seen a preview or whatever. Review bombing is a problem, but if you sift through the reviews for a show (that's airing/complete) you should be able to find the real critique.

Also keep in mind for many shows, people rate the shows off the high they get from just having watched an episode or the whole series, so their critical side might get buried a little.

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Oct 7, 2017 4:17 PM
Jan 2014
Well all your prayers are answered. MAL made the series have a N/A rating and it's available Winter 2018.
Oct 10, 2017 8:44 AM

May 2016
Sebkh3192 said:
Well all your prayers are answered. MAL made the series have a N/A rating and it's available Winter 2018.

Yup, and now when it actually airs people will understand why it had such a high rating.
Oct 21, 2017 1:18 PM
Oct 2017
Kinda new here, how is it possible that like a 1,5k people have already rated this when not a single episode has been put out?
Oct 21, 2017 2:09 PM

Nov 2014
Azurevin said:
Kinda new here, how is it possible that like a 1,5k people have already rated this when not a single episode has been put out?

There have been pre-screenings in a few anime expos
Oct 22, 2017 12:57 AM

Jul 2016
Sebkh3192 said:

Yes, i would close this thread if i could. People keep đź…±umping it.
But i just made this bigger lol.
miX0NOct 22, 2017 1:03 AM
Nov 15, 2017 3:10 PM

Jun 2010
"How is this anime's rating slowly decreasing if it hasn't even started yet ?"

I don't even know how it was rated so high with only one episode aired to begin with.
Nov 20, 2017 1:56 PM

May 2016
It is just a rank get over it already, do not you think it's unfair considering how good other animes are in enission? If it's good, it'll go up, just wait.
Nov 22, 2017 4:32 AM

Mar 2013
AyumiVk said:

That's stupid as all hell.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Nov 22, 2017 4:57 AM

Sep 2014
moodie said:
lazyboy76 said:

Nothing is stupid because its just a score in the end of the day. And we all know that all scores given are biased in some matter and represent more one people feeling rather than the value of the show.

The reason why I think it is correct to give a score to that anime is because when you know that the anime hasn't started airing, you immediately discard the score it got because it means nothing since it shouldn't have a score to begin with. So that it has a score of 7.50 8.50 or 9.20 that change absolutely nothing because this doesn't represent anything at all.
Nov 22, 2017 4:07 PM

Jun 2016
EvenJellyOn said:
AyumiVk said:

That's stupid as all hell.

for you it might be but for me it is not, simple
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.