Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2017 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
begija said:
Symphyon said:
Well I'll say this.

It's all up to you and how much time you have. You take your own decision when it comes to dropping shows, if you don't want to then just don't. If you want to then do so.

This is my two cents here.

The lack of time is what made me think of dropping. And I'll probably do drop with the "3 episode rule" (unless the show is really bad)

I mean that works as well. If you want to drop them then I think the 3 episode rule can work well, been doing that since 2 seasons ago (and I was an completionist back then but eh, the more I processed the more I got fed up with it, from experience).
Jul 23, 2017 2:16 PM
Dec 2015
I understand your dilemma. I've had experiences where I didn't care much for a show at first at all and it somehow managed to become an all-time favorite (Gurren Lagann is by far my biggest example). Sometimes it takes a bit for things to really click or just get going, and I'm scared to drop something that I'll end up falling in love with. Currently, I watch 3 episodes at least, and then drop based on what I predict the direction of the show is. If no inkling of a plot show up because it's a comedy or Slice of Life and I'm just bored by everything else, it's dropped, but if I'm neutral about it I give it another 2 or so episodes to see if it can become worth it. Some plot may show up later, but if it can't invest me until the very end than it definitely won't be something I love. If a plot seems like it is happening by episode 3 and I don't like it so far, I still give another episode or 2 and drop based on that.
Jul 23, 2017 2:17 PM

Aug 2015
man do whatever the FUCK you wanna do
Jul 23, 2017 2:20 PM

Apr 2016
begija said:
DarkConan1412 said:
I do drop shows occasionally but I try to finish them. I think this is because I commit to the shows I watch. However, after watching seasonals for the first real time in several years, I've realized I can't commit to them otherwise I won't be able to get through the season having an opinion on most if not all the shows. (I was never a seasonal anime fan before. I just watched what I watched.) I'm considering doing what Digi does and just wait until the season is over to go pick up the scraps. That way I'll still be able to watch new anime but I won't have to be the guinea pig. I'll also perhaps commit to some of them. Though I'll enjoy being the guinea pig a while longer. I want to really participate in a few seasons before going back to my old ways with some new seasonal changes. I'd probably had done what Digi does years ago had I watched new anime. However, I got into anime in a different way than most. I was introduced to anime through the internet by friends who had already gone down the rabbit hole.

I think you should do what you want. I think it's ok to drop shows even if it's hard because there's too many anime out there to watch, why not spend time on the ones you enjoy? Life is too short to waste on bad anime. When it comes to seasonals though, if it gets better people will probably say something about it. You could just listen in on what people say about the series. Does it get better or not, etc. You could also look out for shows on anime channels. They might also talk about shows people may have missed or skipped out on early.

The thing is, what I consider to be bad in particular season usually really regarded as bad by majority, so I think if I drop anything, I'll drop for good

Majority didn't like Rakugo but it was saved from the depths of obscurity. I'm just saying keeping an ear opens helps. Judge shows based on what you hear until something more concrete appears on the shows. Reviews, analysis, discussion, etc.
Jul 23, 2017 2:20 PM

Mar 2008
eeh, so mal users now have to ask others whether to drop or to continue watching anime huh..?

....like who cares? ;P

Jul 23, 2017 2:21 PM

Jun 2015
begija said:
sk8ter_boi said:
Maybe I should seek the approval of random strangers on the internet before I start dropping things.

It's not approval thing, I'm just interested what people think about this topic. I might even keep not dropping like I do now
Not you in particular, I guess, since I can't read minds and never read ops.

People on MAL really do care a lot about public opinion with these things, though.

Jul 23, 2017 2:22 PM

Jan 2015
aisoka said:
eeh, so mal users now have to ask others whether to drop or to continue watching anime huh..?

....like who cares? ;P

As I said already I'm not asking for "permission", just opinions on the topic
Jul 23, 2017 2:31 PM

Mar 2008
begija said:

As I said already I'm not asking for "permission", just opinions on the topic

i've seen lots of 'insecure' mal users asking the similar questions...so yeah, fine by me (i don't read most of the comments tho)

Jul 23, 2017 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
I start way more anime at the begin of the season than I would ever complete. I'm just curious how they look like and if I would like them.
I also put anime I'm not interested in on my drop-list. It's not a big deal for me.
While I understand the "maybe you will love it later on"-argument for some, I'm not patient enough to watch more than 5 episodes 'til I like it. Also, I highly doubt that for example Chronos Ruler or 18if are so good that I would regret it. ^^"
Jul 23, 2017 3:16 PM

Jan 2014
begija said:
AstZero said:
Ahh you either don't continue if you don't find something interesting or if you plan on dropping you should research a bit and see if it maybe gets interesting later on and use that as a reason to continue.But if you don't find a reason to continue then why continue? You should wait then maybe later down the road the anime might pop in your head and you gain interest. For me sometimes i stop watching an anime then like even a year later a title or a synopsis pops up into my head and it gains my interest.

Ahh i was completly baited by Taboo Tattoo too.. Jesus that turned out to be absolute trash, although i was happy when that childhood friend died.

Haha, I was also glad that she died, but the show became even worse after that

Yes cuz the mc was absolute trash...
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jul 23, 2017 3:19 PM

Sep 2015
If you lack time , then just watch the good shows ( The ones you like watching ) rather than giving chances for stuff you don't like.
Jul 24, 2017 2:20 PM
May 2017
If you don't feel like dropping it, then don't. Personally, I don't drop so I can criticize shows I hate without being contradicted by the anime later on
Jul 24, 2017 6:15 PM

Oct 2014
please do, I already overcomed my prejudice with dropping shows a long time ago, if for a moment i think what i am getting out of a certain show is just not worthy it with the time i am investing, than i will drop it at the spot
Jul 24, 2017 6:39 PM

Oct 2014
If you think it's garbage and would rather be watching/doing something else, you may as well drop it. There's no point wasting time watching something you don't enjoy, unless you are one of those people who make themselves finish everything they start.
Jul 24, 2017 9:32 PM

Jan 2015
Light- said:
If you think it's garbage and would rather be watching/doing something else, you may as well drop it. There's no point wasting time watching something you don't enjoy, unless you are one of those people who make themselves finish everything they start.

Yes, I'm one of those people :D but I don't want to be anymore
Jul 24, 2017 9:47 PM

Oct 2014
begija said:
Light- said:

Then drop away my friend :D

I used to be one of those people too, but ever since the time I have to watch anime became limited I've been dropping stuff :3
Jul 24, 2017 9:52 PM

Jan 2015
Light- said:
begija said:

Then drop away my friend :D

I used to be one of those people too, but ever since the time I have to watch anime became limited I've been dropping stuff :3

Yeah, probably would do same too soon
Jul 25, 2017 1:13 AM
Aug 2016
''Why drop it? It would get better later on, or so I hope.'' That's how I think when I watch a bad show, but unfortunately, there are some shows that are bad at the beggining, bad at the middle and bat at the ending, but I still watch them. Every anime needs a chance, so I have no reasons to drop any of them.
Jul 25, 2017 1:19 AM

May 2016
Judging by how many shows you've completed, continually trying to finish anime that you find dog shit - will just increasingly demotivate your anime viewing experience. Personally if you find the animes shit at around 6 episodes in, just drop it.
Jul 25, 2017 1:37 AM

Jul 2015
Why would you watch something you don't even enjoy? Unless you make anime reviews or something..
Jul 25, 2017 1:46 AM

Dec 2012
Some anime just have a slow start, but it's your choice at the end of the day
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 25, 2017 5:22 AM
Mar 2015
DarkConan1412 said:
Pyxus said:
It wasn't boring, it just had a slow start, its success is all the more reason people shouldn't drop anime, maybe they might like it in the end.

People will tell you that if you look at the tides. You don't have to be the guinea pig. Steins Gates blew up with reviews and all manner of discussions over the show. You can watch the series later if people say it turns around and people still care in a few years. I think I remember hearing how people left re:zero believing it was nothing special until the second half blew up and the crowds returned to see what the fuss was with yet another isekai story. People will be there to watch the seasonals. You don't have to play the guinea pig if you don't want to.

I couldn't agree more with that. Lately I'm more interested in anime and manga that are already finished and still fondly tought of. For instance I plan to watch Baby Steps and The Tatami Galaxy which were once seasonals but I didn't bother to check out until now. There are so many classics that we miss out to watch random- forgettable seasonal anime "just to be update". If it's really great and has the potential to appeal to you, don't worry you'll watch it sooner or later, just feel the vibes. Time is very precious and you should spend it wisely. But that's just my two cents on the topic.
Jul 25, 2017 5:51 AM

Apr 2015
Go ahead and drop.
Life is to short to waste on bad, or unmemorable, anime.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jul 25, 2017 6:01 AM
Jan 2017
It's your choice. Don't waste your time on an anime that doesn't interest you. There are more anime that you could watch rather than that particular one.
Jul 25, 2017 6:15 AM

Jun 2008
That's up to you. If you don't feel like forcing yourself to watch shows you don't like, then go ahead and drop it.
Jul 25, 2017 6:22 AM

Aug 2015
Dropping an Anime series is something bound to happen to all of us eventually, I thought too myself I wouldn't drop series.
Jul 25, 2017 3:27 PM

Dec 2014
Life is short dude... you can't waste it on things that you don't enjoy.
Jul 26, 2017 4:42 AM
Jan 2016
If you are more comfortable finishing every anime you start, then continue doing it. There's nothing wrong with that. I dropped many shows simply because I am neither patient nor strong enough to finish anime that I did not enjoy. So, you do you.
Jul 26, 2017 4:49 AM

Aug 2010
_Ako_ said:
So, if someone said "kill yourself" you'll do it just because someone told you to do it?

he probably won't. Nobody would I think. Unfortunately this goes the same for "stop saying bullshit on forums". :S
Jul 26, 2017 5:09 AM

Apr 2013
begija said:
I have searched forums before posting and I saw many people having their own reasons for not dropping anime they watch. Currently, I haven't dropped anything I have seen even a single episode of (I may delete something from my list I haven't seen anything of). I had many instances of wanting to drop really bad shows, but I still do not drop. This is probably because I want to see something good in bad shows. The extreme case of this was Occultic;Nine, where I was on the verge of dropping it, but later it got interesting for me. On the other side, I liked Taboo Tatoo at first, but it turned out to be absolute garbage (but I still completed it). Now I started to think about dropping because of lack of time, but still, I have a mindset that I should give any show a chance and then I can't stop. So any advice from people who couldn't drop shows like me? Should I start dropping or should I continue?

99% of anime doesn't deserve the chance you are talking about so just watch what you enjoy and drop the rest.
Jul 26, 2017 5:24 AM

Jul 2012
I think u totally should...time is not infinite especially when there is so many media to consume, doing or watching something u actually like is better use of time
Jul 26, 2017 5:47 AM

Oct 2014
There is never a reason to force yourself through crap
Jul 26, 2017 5:58 AM

Mar 2016
I don't understand why people waste their time watching bad shows or shows they don't like, when there are plenty of good shows that you can waste your time with.
Jul 26, 2017 7:25 AM

May 2015
I think in most cases, dropping something is stupid, especially if you've watched less than 3 episodes. But it's not like I can stop you, so it's your choice.

Jul 26, 2017 7:29 AM

Jun 2017
Yooo dropping anime is great. I say yeah, try it out.
Jul 26, 2017 9:49 AM

Feb 2010
as a rule of thumb never EVER drop at the first episode as shows have been know to do 180s from there. a good exmple of this is

Madoka Magica
higurashi
ChäoS;HEAd
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 26, 2017 10:02 AM
Aug 2011
I personally don't drop anime because it makes me appreciate middle of the road and even great anime better.

Because it reminds me things can be so much worse.

That said, it is up to you if you think an anime will be a waste of time.
Jul 26, 2017 10:43 AM

Jul 2017
Tbh, I prefer not to drop animes, but it's all up to you. I never really feel the need to anyway, since I only watch anime with plots that interest me and end up liking it.
But if you have limited time where you can't spend on watching anime you don't really like, I say dropping is fine, and you can always pick it back up again if a lot of people say it gets good.
Jul 30, 2017 2:13 AM

Jan 2015
I think I'll drop The Reflection, but I'll give it another chance by 3rd episode. Doubt it will get any better through
Jul 30, 2017 2:19 AM
Feb 2016
Eh, it's completely up to you. I've dropped a decent amount of shows because i didn't find them interesting or got bored of it real quick. Just don't drop anime for the sake of dropping it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
14 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
19 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.