Forum Settings
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 21, 2017 6:30 AM
Jul 2014
Should i read the light novel or read the honor student manga instead?
Jul 21, 2017 7:50 AM

Jun 2015
Well the light novel is the original source. sooo
Jul 21, 2017 8:08 AM
Jul 2014
So read the light novel then
Jul 21, 2017 8:14 AM

Jun 2012
read both my friend...LN first
Jul 21, 2017 8:16 AM
Jul 2014
Can't afford both
Jul 21, 2017 10:26 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Depends.

The LNs have Tolkien-esque pacing in how things are weighted when they're presented - i.e. it has a very strong tendency to begin worldbuilding in places that can be disjointing and that can easily break the reader's flow and can just straight up go on tangents. I'd argue that Tsutomo does this even moreso than Tolkien, and Tolkien can be a bit of an extremity as is. He's just famous, so I bring him up as an example ._.

To try and illustrate this, in the first volume, they're about to get on a train - it will stop everything, give detailed explanations over the evolution of trains in Mahouka's world and how they operate and how the current system of rail-switching works on top of the various types of trains people take depending on where they're heading, right down to when they'll decelerate/accelerate depending on certain variables, only to follow it up with them actually getting on the train. Or, there's a conflict about to break out between Tatsuya's Course 2 friends and Morisaki and the Course 1 trying to get Miyuki to go with them instead, and when Morisaki pulls his specialized CAD, there will be a pause to start explaining (again, in painstaking and drawn out detail) the different types of CADs and the strengths and weaknesses between using a multipurpose CAD and a specialized CAD and why certain magicians will go for certain types for almost a full page, before getting back right back to what is happening.

It can be *very* tangential in how it presents itself, basically - it will pause everything happening, go on a half/full page explaining something about the Mahouka world, and then get right back to what was happening, in a way that almost never feels natural to me, as interesting as I find the worldbuilding and as much as I love the character interactions in their own rights. If you think that'd annoy you, then I think you'd have a difficult time with the LNs tbh. If you don't think that'd bother you, definitely go with the LNs.

While I haven't read Honor Student, I know it swaps the protagonist from Tatsuya to Miyuki, albeit I don't know if it's different things being told with her as the protagonist or the mainline story being retold with her as the protagonist. Either way, it makes me really want to read it because Miyuki <3

Overall, though, I'd urge you to go to the LNs first either way - unless what I described about Tsutomo's writing style seems like it'd be obnoxious - if only because it's the source material and it'd be great if more people supported LNs coming out of Japan into the west in general. Not sure whether or not that it'd be present in Honor Student, either, but I'd doubt it, only because it's a manga.

ManabanJul 21, 2017 10:46 AM

Jul 21, 2017 4:36 PM
Jul 2014
Ok cool! That explanation helped a lot. I do like things that are explained to me for world building. I'll check out the LN and since I already bought the first volume of the manga. I'll read that too. Thanks Manaban!!
Aug 21, 2017 5:55 PM
Apr 2009
I just want to add that I had started reading the Yuutosei manga (actually stumbled across it before I even knew about the series) and was hooked.

That being said -- having now read the first handful of volumes of the novel, I can unequivocally recommend reading the novel first. From my experience, while you will get a basic understanding of what is happening from reading just the manga, a lot of the content is meant to be read in the context of the novel. The novel is clearly standalone but I would say the manga is, ideally, not.

To be more specific, if at all possible, I would strongly recommend reading the first arc of the novel, then the manga, then second arc of the novel, and so on. That would have the best effect.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Volume 32 Discussion

Syureria - Oct 12, 2020

19 by StarZone1 »»
Aug 2, 2023 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Volume 24 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Sep 21, 2018

2 by StarZone1 »»
Jul 22, 2023 10:22 PM

» English translations

dadroo - Jan 26, 2023

2 by dadroo »»
Jan 26, 2023 2:36 AM

» [spoiler] Shiba Tatsuya & Miyuki

Syureria - Aug 25, 2020

16 by zensh »»
Jul 11, 2022 10:52 AM

» Mahouka Koukou no Retoussei Volume 16 Discussion/Spoilers *major spoilers*

Lolcats1997 - Jul 13, 2015

17 by zensh »»
Jul 11, 2022 10:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.