Forum Settings
Forums

Do u prefer watching anime over reading manga?

New
Do u prefer watching anime over reading manga?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 19, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2009
I notice that people who have seen alot of anime, prefer reading a manga over watching an anime. I can really understand, it's faster to complete, usually has better art, and u'll notice faster if u are gonna like to continue the story or quit cause it's not something u are gonna like.

I guess people who read alot of manga also read books in general? I myself was never really a book reader, so maybe that's the reason i cant find joy in manga. It's interesting to see, that there are actually people who prefer a manga over an anime. (only 13% so far though)
Jul 19, 2017 10:02 AM

Jan 2014
Nickgie said:
I notice that people who have seen alot of anime, prefer reading a manga over watching an anime. I can really understand, it's faster to complete, usually has better art, and u'll notice faster if u are gonna like to continue the story or quit cause it's not something u are gonna like.

I guess people who read alot of manga also read books in general? I myself was never really a book reader, so maybe that's the reason i cant find joy in manga. It's interesting to see, that there are actually people who prefer a manga over an anime. (only 13% so far though)

I haven't read a book in so long, excluding medical stuff for grad school lmao. It's a shame though I really do feel there is so much benefit to reading as a hobby. Anyways, you should test the waters one day you won't know unless you try.

Jul 19, 2017 12:00 PM

Mar 2017
Its incredibly hard for me to get into a manga because I get distracted easily so I prefer anime
Jul 19, 2017 12:00 PM

Aug 2015
anonypc said:

I would say... I actually enjoy reading manga more than I do watching anime, if we are just talking on average. But a well executed scene in anime gives me a greater high than a manga high ever could, simply because of music, animation, time spent building up a climax, etc. Unfortunately experiencing that high is not common, so on average I enjoy manga more overall.

Exactly my thoughts. While I consider anime to be the "superior" medium, the average manga I read is better than the average anime I watch.
Jul 19, 2017 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
welp...my name says it lol but i also prefer manga as well
Jul 19, 2017 12:49 PM
Apr 2014
tragedydesu said:
I can't get into manga no matter how much I try
No sound no animation ...

Vn is better than both of them

How? No animation, I've only played Few VNs (Steins;gate, Danganronpa 1/2, Some eroge) but I can't find It better than an anime or manga (Maybe Danganronpa, but still).
Jul 19, 2017 12:58 PM

Jan 2016
I tend to watch more anime but it's just because I'm tired and don't want to read or pass pages. I've also finished several mangas that are regular or long length (Naruto, Higurashi, Elfen Lied, Fairy Tail, etc) and when I find out an anime I like has lots of differences with its source or goes further I tend to go and check the manga. So I don't think I can say I like one better than the other.
Jul 19, 2017 12:59 PM

Jul 2015
@JaimeC
i also didn't play a lot of vn but i really loved the ones i played

why vn is better than anime ?
-> complete story (the majority of anime are incomplete adaptations)
-> better waifus
-> every girl have her route so chose whatever you want
-> yep no animation but there is ost and voice acting + great art

my fav girls never win in anime this is why i prefer Vn
Jul 19, 2017 2:43 PM
Jul 2017
Originally I was an anime only type person when I was younger. I thought why read it when I can just wait and watch it you know. But then I found out that you can read far ahead of the anime and the rest is history. Not only is it cool to be up to date with the story but I came to really appreciate the art. Its the truest form of the story and there is just something amazing about that.
Jul 19, 2017 2:51 PM

Aug 2016
Anime: Color, animation, voices.
Manga: Black&White, images with text bubbles.

If you don't like reading, anime is better.
If you like reading, manga is better
Jul 19, 2017 2:55 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I always feel like I'm missing nuances and small story beats if I don't read the manga. I don't do if for everything I watch but if I think a series is a 10/10 I make a note to read it. Especially since I'm into shonens.

So equally. There's value in following the series in either format unless the adaptation is garbage.
Jul 19, 2017 2:56 PM

Jun 2016
I do prefer watching anime over watching mangas/novels but mangas give you so much more detail that is missed in an anime to fit into a certain amount of episodes.

but i also hate catching up on a series to realize its released monthly then take about 5 months off to resume sigh (yeah, Im talking to you berserk)
Jul 19, 2017 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
I love manga. There's no anime out there that compares to Yotsuba&.

That said, I still think anime as a whole is better. Watching those stories come to life on a beautiful big screen - preferably with an amazing soundtrack - is really something.
Jul 19, 2017 4:20 PM
Mar 2017
I read my first manga series before I started watching anime. I'm also a common reader so I have the concentration I guess?? The latest I've been picking up the manga after watching the show if I feel like there could be more to the story like there usually is, manga is great but after all I do watch more anime for sure.
Jul 19, 2017 4:40 PM
Jul 2016
I also feel that I'm more excited and hyped for a scene in the anime more so than in the manga.
Jul 19, 2017 4:49 PM
Dec 2015
As I've been finding out recently, I have a really hard time reading manga. It just isn't as immersive, even when it's seemingly well-made. The addition of movement, voice-acting, color, and music add so much that I feel more immersed in a mediocre adaptation than strong source material (as I found with A Centaur's Life). Hell, despite a friend selling me on Read or Die (and giving me the first volume) I found it impossible to be immersed because it just felt like I was moving from panel to panel with no immersion factor, despite the interesting ideas and detailed artwork presented.
Jul 19, 2017 4:56 PM

Jan 2017
I usually watch the anime first. If the anime does not have a ending then I read the manga to get the ending. Koe no Katachi was the 1st time I ever read the manga 1st.
Jul 19, 2017 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
I would consider myself more of a anime watcher than a actual manga reader, but as of late i been leaning more towards reading manga then actualy watching already completed anime so is hard to say if i prefer one over the other as of now.

But if you are looking for a more concrete answer, then i still probably have to go with anime since i love animation.
Jul 19, 2017 11:49 PM
Apr 2014
EriitoSenshi said:

Well you have to read anyways unless you speak japanese or only watch dubs.
Jul 19, 2017 11:58 PM
Nov 2016
Depends on how long the anime is gonna run for and what it's gonna cover.
Something like Boku no Hero for example, I feel is gonna go on for a while so I plan on reading the manga rather than watching it.

Jul 20, 2017 1:46 AM

Jul 2013
I like to watch anime more, since I prefer seeing things in motion and with sound. I only tend to read mangas whose anime adaptation I liked.
Jul 20, 2017 6:43 AM

Jun 2016
I usually like the art better in manga (except Kyoto animation anime), but I do prefer anime a lot more.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 20, 2017 10:05 AM

Jul 2015
I don't mind reading manga, especially if it's to continue with the source of x adaptation, but I prefer anime a lot more.

Ironically my 2 favorite stories are a manga and a light novel tho...
Jul 20, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2017
Both have their pros and cons, but when it comes to finding pure quality, manga is superior to anime.

I have yet to see an anime series that comes close to the Berserk manga. Even some other manga like Vagabond has a staggering beauty to it that is very difficult to find in anime.

Pros with manga:
No/less censorship.
More complete stories.
Quicker than watching anime.
Art is often better in manga, and far more detailed.
More original works.
No 3d/cgi bullshit.
Zoldra0Jul 20, 2017 5:00 PM
Jul 20, 2017 10:58 AM

Mar 2017
I like them both equally but I sometimes prefer manga because they're the original source of the anime and they're quick to finish =^o^=
Jul 20, 2017 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
I used to read manga. In fact, I bought some manga volumes, some of which I haven't read yet. I stopped reading manga because I always had the urge to buy manga volumes. I tried reading manga online, but I didn't get the point. What's the point of spending time on a phone, computer, or any other electronic device to read manga when I can just watch anime?
I like reading on physical copies better. However, I don't want to spend too much money on manga that I don't read.
Jul 20, 2017 11:43 AM

Jun 2016
I watch a lot of anime but i also read a lot of manga.
It's logic that seeing an animation instead of seeing it in paper can be a lot more entertaining but for me it really depends on the genre of the history. If it is a shoujo or a romance and really psychological series with drama then i'd rather read it in manga than watch it in anime. But, if it is a history with a lot of action, sci-fi, mistery or thriller then i'd like more seeing it in anime style. But either way, i really don't mind it that much... so i go with the 'both' option
Jul 20, 2017 11:55 AM

Mar 2017
When I was young I used to watch anime and my favourite was saiyuki so when I checked the manga I found it far better than the anime and I started to read manga, and now I can't watch an anime without reading its original source and sometimes I don't watch.
So I enjoy reading the manga than watching anime cause it seems to me that it has more emotions.
Jul 20, 2017 1:01 PM

Jan 2017
I prefer anime and if I'm reading source material, I prefer novel over manga. With that being said I don't really have an issue with reading manga once certain criteria are in place, e.g The anime I'm watching isn't going to get another season etc.

Sometimes I check out new manga and then end up dropping them early on if I think the manga is good enough to get an anime in the future. The last notable example I have of me doing this is Boku No Hero Academia.
Jul 20, 2017 1:23 PM

May 2015
Zuraki said:
Although I spend more time on anime than manga, I prefer manga because the story is original and much more detailed. And you can't truly appreciate the artist when you see their works animated; they really shine through their manga.

This is exactly how I feel. I haven't read that much compared to others but when I do I tend to appreciate it a lot more.
Jul 20, 2017 2:18 PM
Jun 2017
I've never really understood reading manga over watching anime. Of course, you do get manga faster than anime and people who like to read are gonna like manga more. Besides that, who wouldn't rather see these characters animated? You get more emotion from them.

As for me, the reason I watch anime over reading manga is because I feel it's easier to immerse myself in the story and characters when I'm watching.
Jul 20, 2017 2:37 PM

Dec 2015
Watching anime, most of the mangas I read, it is because I discover and watch the anime first. But I really like to do both.

set by taiyaki

Jul 20, 2017 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
I would actually say I prefer reading Mangas a little bit more but actually... I like both. I like to watch Animes and reading Mangas.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jul 20, 2017 2:42 PM

Jun 2009
gofree said:
I enjoy reading the manga than watching anime cause it seems to me that it has more emotions.

As someone who never reads manga, and only watches anime, this is something that is hard to understand for me. As i said earlyer in this topic, i never read books either, so maybe i dont have the imagination to make these manga characters come "alive".
Jul 20, 2017 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
I enjoy both a lot, but for different reasons. Manga is good because I can fill my imagination into characters interactions, and kind of morph them into how I want it to appear in my mind. There is a kind of creative freedom to reading manga. Also 99.9999% of anime doesn't carry on to the conclusion, and reading manga is the only way to see a conclusion so that's a plus I guess.
Anime is good because of obvious reasons. Sound, movement, action, etc. Both have their pros and cons.
Jul 20, 2017 2:56 PM

Aug 2016
If both the anime and the manga are equally good, then I prefer watching the anime.
However, if the manga has a shitty adaptation like Berserk, or an incomplete one like Deadman Wonderland, then I stick to the manga.
Jul 20, 2017 3:55 PM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani said:
Besides that, who wouldn't rather see these characters animated? You get more emotion from them.

Not true at all I'd say. As I said earlier, manga generally has higher quality in it's art.

Here's a great example of when anime fails to convey the emotions of a character. A bit of an extreme example perhaps with the best manga ever vs. worst anime ever, but still.

Also:
http://imgur.com/2owhQgh
http://imgur.com/SMwvDBW
Zoldra0Jul 20, 2017 4:02 PM
Jul 20, 2017 4:01 PM

Feb 2017
I don't 'get' manga. It just doesn't appeal to me. I've never liked comics either. If I want some visual, I'd rather watch it. I don't watch anime for the art. I'm all about characters, and I find it hard to invest emotions in drawings on a page without much text tbh.

However (will probs be deleted from MAL for saying this), I'd pick literature over anime in a heartbeat.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jul 20, 2017 4:03 PM

Aug 2016
JaimeC said:
EriitoSenshi said:

Well you have to read anyways unless you speak japanese or only watch dubs.

Yeah but anime is animation and color and voices manga is black and white and images
Jul 20, 2017 4:09 PM
Feb 2017
I do enjoy reading manga but I prefer watching anime because it's easier to get invested and feel like you are actually in the world and feel the intensity of a scene if the characters are actually moving and you can actually hear their voices and there's music to back this all up. This is why it bugs me when anime producers only see anime as advertising for the source material and doesn't adapt the whole series and/or doesn't make a sequel season, because then even if you do read the manga, the ending won't be as fulfilling without the emotions of a video. I also prefer light novels over manga for similar reasons. The detailed descriptions of a scene are able to get emotions across better than still pictures with speech bubbles and just like with anime, that makes it easier to get more invested in the story. I'm not saying I don't like manga, I still enjoy to read manga, but only if it's the source material for a show I really like and if it isn't a manga adaption of a light novel.
Jul 20, 2017 4:28 PM
Jun 2017
zodd0 said:
Kuraokani said:
Besides that, who wouldn't rather see these characters animated? You get more emotion from them.

Not true at all I'd say. As I said earlier, manga generally has higher quality in it's art.

Here's a great example of when anime fails to convey the emotions of a character. A bit of an extreme example perhaps with the best manga ever vs. worst anime ever, but still.

Also:
http://imgur.com/2owhQgh
http://imgur.com/SMwvDBW
Lmao dude, should I have specified? What I meant to write was "the majority of the time". Also, your gonna use a Berserk comparison? We all know that berserk 2016/2017s animation was absolutely shit. At least give me a comparison on a series that was moderately trying to convey the emotion in the manga. They didn't even try with Berserk so it's pretty unfair to use that against me.
Jul 20, 2017 4:43 PM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani said:
Lmao dude, should I have specified? What I meant to write was "the majority of the time". Also, your gonna use a Berserk comparison? We all know that berserk 2016/2017s animation was absolutely shit. At least give me a comparison on a series that was moderately trying to convey the emotion in the manga. They didn't even try with Berserk so it's pretty unfair to use that against me.

Well, as I said, regardless I don't know of any anime that comes close to the Berserk manga or for example Vagabond in this sense.
Jul 20, 2017 4:45 PM
Jun 2017
zodd0 said:
Kuraokani said:

Well, as I said, regardless I don't know of any anime that comes close to the Berserk manga or for example Vagabond in this sense.
That's what I'm saying though. The majority of decent/good/great anime conveys more emotion than the manga. I think it's more because when I read manga, I only hear my voice and when I watch anime, I can hear the characters voices (well their VAs)
Jul 20, 2017 5:08 PM

Sep 2016
I prefer anime since it's much more immersive than manga. I find manga not only less enjoyable, but annoying to read since everything is in black and white. It's bothersome having to figure out what certain things are before you can move on to the next panel.

Jul 20, 2017 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
It really depends, I enjoy both. It's much faster to read manga so that's one nice aspect to it. However some stories are just better watched than read- like my favorite series Higurashi. The suspense and fear just isn't the same without elements like music and having to wait for certain moments. It makes the story more enjoyable imo.

Of course if the adaptation is bad I'll pick the manga by default though.

Jul 20, 2017 5:40 PM

Feb 2015
Depends.

I usually watch the anime because I'm lazy and it's easier, but for some I'm actually waiting to read the original medium before watching those.
I highly enjoy reading manga as well, just that most of the time I'm not in a mood where I feel like reading. But manga can draw me in just as much as anime do.

Also, I feel some emotions are better depicted in manga than in anime. The depressing stuff especially, reading NHK was worse than watching it in terms of feelings(I know it's originally a novel). I'd say romance is the same for me.

Anyway, once I take a break from watching anime, reading manga will probably take part in filling that free time.
Jul 20, 2017 6:16 PM

May 2017
I prefer anime since I like to see the events taking place in action, although I do read and enjoy manga as well.
Jul 20, 2017 6:21 PM

Apr 2016
I consider myself more into anime than manga but I do read manga; at least the anime adaptation from the manga. I just read the manga whenever the series ends off with an unsatisfied ending (in my opinion), which I then go read the manga after that.
Jul 20, 2017 8:44 PM

Feb 2017
I prefer anime since I don't really like to read much anymore.
There has been some anime I've watched that I didn't really enjoy, but I still thought I might enjoy the manga a lot more, so I intend to read those eventually.
Jul 20, 2017 8:49 PM
Jul 2016
wow ,, manga reader is minority, please guys. watch less and read more .. if u read manga u will know originitality of the series
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

36 by FanofAction »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

85 by Satyr_icon »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

44 by Kruszer »»
27 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

94 by phantomic109 »»
29 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

121 by FFandMMfan »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.