Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2017 4:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This Yae girl has a big appetite.
Well at least she can fight.

Pretty typical episode. We pretty much just get a new character joining the adventure and some brief fighting. I'm pretty unimpressed by the monsters (lizard monsters this episode) in this series. Sushie's voice might take some time to get used to....
Jul 18, 2017 6:52 AM

Dec 2010
Wasn't impressed from the promo preview, but i watched the first 2 ep today and i sorta like it, nothing relevant but relaxing and i will enjoy the ride. :)
Jul 18, 2017 7:12 AM

Aug 2015
Good episode, he's veeeeery OP btw. I'm enjoying it more than Konosuba (kill me)
Jul 18, 2017 7:16 AM

Aug 2013
I'm a sucker to fantasy/magic stuff, so watching this is actually so fun for me
especially that this animu so chill and easy to swallow
fml ( ͡°; ͜ʖ ͡;°)🔫
Jul 18, 2017 7:22 AM

Aug 2013
Fun episode. The scene with Sushie's mother was beautiful.

Jul 18, 2017 7:24 AM

Oct 2016
The animation quality is below mediocre, granted it's not ugly, but it's really really unimpressive.
Lots of typical shots/moments and many still/stiff moments.
Also the whole calmness of the show with small bursts of inconsequential conflict is not well suited for the isekai genre that it wears right in the title.
They should've gone full fantasy, but if they did then the whole smartphone gimmick couldn't be used.
Not that that smartphone gimmick has really been useful so far.

As a calm anime it fails to deliver on the usual benefits of watching a calm anime.
The characters and their relationships are forgettable.
Comedy is meh, animation too.
Usually when the plot is slacking, you'd expect other areas to be focused on as a trade-off, but everything in this anime is just slightly below mediocre.
The only ways I could think of people enjoying this is if they just turn their minds off and ignore the glaring flaws or just have a developing taste for anime.

I'll conclude with a question, why are they adventuring in the first place?
I don't recall if they established this in the first episode, but the main guy, whose name eludes me, is just gathering party members and getting better at magic for seemingly no reason.
Yae joined the party, which was... something I guess, but why?
Agh, I'm gonna stop ranting as I don't want to annoy anyone who happens to enjoy this.
Sorry.
Jul 18, 2017 7:26 AM

Jun 2007
This show is awful.

Did the Duke really say "You can't see my wife because she is blind"? So he basically locks her away so she can't have any company.

Of course the main character is overpowered as anything, given incredible powers that no one else seems to possess within that world and can do anything he wants with little to no effort at all.

What's the point of him having his smartphone if all he uses it for at the moment is to sneak pictures of girls. Surely that should have been the main focus given the title, using his phone in some way to resolve situations.
Jul 18, 2017 7:27 AM
Mar 2014
this shit is so fucking mediocre it hurts...
Jul 18, 2017 7:31 AM

Jun 2013
A bit too fast-paced for my liking, but better than the first episode!
Jul 18, 2017 7:33 AM

Jun 2010
Eh it was fine. This is still about a 6/10 for me. I'm really going into each episode not expecting much. It's a light hearted romp in a fantasy world, and now that I'm not expecting much conflict to happen, it removes an aspect of disappointment I would have otherwise felt.

Saved a butlers life. Gave a woman back her vision. Met a Not-Quite-Princess Loli. Had fun.
Jul 18, 2017 7:33 AM
Mar 2014
krillerthekille said:
this shit is so fucking mediocre it hurts...
pleas kill me now, it's so fucking predictable and cheesy, "who can do this impossible task, well why not this ultimate being we call the potagenist, he can and will always be the one to solve all the problems, and we will always talk about the problem at first, as if that makes the person even more special!" gabage show. twice in the span of 1 episode, they said "if only we could do this" and then he did it, it's never fun to have an all mighty character unless there also is trouble, having every conflict in the rest of this show be, hey we have a problem that is impossible to do, solved 2 sec later by the protagonist, is barf worthy.
krillerthekilleJul 18, 2017 7:40 AM
Jul 18, 2017 7:34 AM
Aug 2015
The episode was fun, but the fighting in it wasn't very good... didn't seem like there was much of a fight what so ever
Jul 18, 2017 7:57 AM

Nov 2016
The only enjoyable moment was the introduction of the swordsman girl, I like this kind of character archetype, I just hope the show will do a good job at setting up the gags which revolve around her. Aside from that, MC continues to be op.

Overall it was a rather boring episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 18, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2015
Boring episode. Yae has joined Touya's group. He saved Suchie's butler and her mother with magic that no one else could use besides him. Now he's stinking rich.
Jul 18, 2017 8:26 AM

Jul 2014
Much harem, so chunibyo, many generic.
Jul 18, 2017 8:39 AM

Jun 2012
This is way too fast paced. So many jump cuts and so much information is just omitted. They ought to have just stuck to volume 1 with slightly less episodes or gone full 24 and do the story elements they are apparetly trying to cover as can be seen during the opening.
Was really looking forward to this anime after having almost cought up to the story in the last couple of weeks but this adaption is ruining my good impression that I had of the LN/WN so I guess I'll just drop this show before it goes even more downhill.
Jul 18, 2017 8:43 AM

Jun 2014
>"Sorry you can't see my wife, she's blind."

I don't want to get technical good sir, but technically it's your wife who wouldn't be able to see Touya.

Tasteless jokes aside, that was painfully generic. Healing magic won't work but thankfully MC Jesus-kun has a magic ability that will. The mother is blind but thankfully MC Jesus-kun is the only other person in the world that can use the magic that Sue's grandfather knew that could restore her sight. Anyone could see those events coming from miles away (except Sue's mom LOL). Also, looks like a samurai girl has been added to the harem.
thebrentinator24Jul 18, 2017 9:16 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 18, 2017 8:56 AM

Jun 2012
thebrentinator24 said:

Tasteless jokes aside, that was painfully generic. Healing magic won't work but thankfully MC Jesus-kun has a magic ability that will. The mother is blind but thankfully MC Jesus-kun is the only other person in the world that can use the magic that Sue's grandfather knew that could restore her sight.

What is even more painful is that they didn't even take the time to explain properly how he is able to use that magic because in the novel it is stated:
Jul 18, 2017 9:01 AM

Oct 2015
"The second coming of jesus" with a smartphone version, That aside i think im gonna watch this to the end, Im kind of a sucker for these predictable trash anime, not because they are good but they look like the anime i'm use to, every action is so predictable and the characters are super generic, the one part that annoys me though is the fact that the girls are given no lives at all, its like they were born to "follow Jesus-kun", otherwise its Ok for me
Jul 18, 2017 9:15 AM

Aug 2015
Yes, pickpocketing. I'm sure that's the first thing that came to his mind.
Jul 18, 2017 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
Dropped. Yet another crappy harem with an OP main character anime.

The "Sorry, you can't see my wife, she's blind" was the last straw.
froggy25Jul 18, 2017 9:37 AM
Jul 18, 2017 9:51 AM
Feb 2016
If nobility is sick your not allowed to let outsiders to see them. The reason for this is it makes the family look less noble and not as distinguished. This is probably what they were going for when they said you couldn't see her.
Jul 18, 2017 9:53 AM

Dec 2014
I see many people in different forums comparing it to konosuba but I still think it is still quite different.... so much happy go lucky atmosphere..... Is it really just slice of life....
Jul 18, 2017 9:59 AM

Feb 2012
I can feel my soul screaming in despair, wtf is this shit?
Jul 18, 2017 10:02 AM

Sep 2010
I am sad because main hero of this title - smartphone, wasn't used at all. I hope he gets more airtime in next episode.
Jul 18, 2017 10:07 AM

Sep 2013
Yae the sword master joins after saving a princess from summoner assassin.
Mc heals everyone with his opskills and gets rewarded XD
Jul 18, 2017 10:24 AM
Jun 2016
I'm enjoying it, though I wish they would do more with the gimick of the smart phone.

Like for myself? while I would have good memory, start a notepad, with the list of the most useful spells, and then another list of potential spells I don't know if will be useful, but worth testing.
Jul 18, 2017 10:34 AM
Jan 2016
i hate this kind of mc the most, especially his personality.
there is too much cliche for an anime lover who seeks a new story.
i bet mc is gonna increase his harem in the next episode
Jul 18, 2017 10:35 AM

Oct 2010
I'm surprised how much fun I'm having with this show. It's like the daydream fantasy anime equivalent of buying chickens, beehives, business microloans etc. for people in developing nations via international charities. Even minimum wage in the first world can give one the power to make a difference in the third world.

krillerthekille said:
I'm only this mad, for the reason that this exact type of show, and premise, have already been done many many many times better.

The show's "exact type" seems to be a relaxing slice-of-life in what looks like a fantasy battle setting. I wrote:

nDroae said:
Which is exactly what I want. I avoided and never watched Re:Zero, except the season finale. Konosuba was funny, but the relationships were by design uncomfortable and unsatisfying. SAO was enjoyable simply for having a straightforward functional romance, and a pleasant harem. If we go back to my first ever anime, Tenchi Muyo (and pretend space is an isekai), that's just a long history of unsatisfying endings, not to mention annoying harem members.

I'm not so much a fan of harems compared to when I was a teenager, but if I'm going to watch one then OP MC is definitely my preference. Obviously he's going to come off as a "Gary Stu," Tenchi was a perfect boy to an obscene extreme and defeated the final boss in one hit, that's expected. Having a flawed or weaker MC doesn't interest me at all. If I want to experience The Hero's Journey, I'll rewatch, say, LotR / Star Wars / Spider-Man 2 / The Incredibles / The Lion King / Batman Begins. Not anime. None of my favorite anime characters are male. (Except Vampire Hunter D. :D And Monmon the water spider, but he's a spider.)

I read that there's very little tension/drama/conflict at all in this story, it's a harem slice of life in another world. So if you're going to recommend something else instead, what are some other shows like that? I don't need it to be funny or unique. Being "plain white toast" makes it unique from most other comparable shows I've seen.

I got these recommendations:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/6979/Shukufuku_no_Campanella
https://myanimelist.net/anime/12367/Shining_Hearts__Shiawase_no_Pan
And the upcoming https://myanimelist.net/anime/34497/Death_March_kara_Hajimaru_Isekai_Kyousoukyoku

So no, it doesn't look like there's been much of this exact type yet. Apparently this "SoL with OP MC" is a new growing trend in LNs/WNs. I'm down; it's just the harem equivalent of CGDCT.

tl;dr Konosuba was funnier but left me feeling bad. This leaves me feeling good.
Jul 18, 2017 10:41 AM

Oct 2015
Despite being your typical generic harem fantasy. This anime somehow brings me smile. The MC is generic, but I like how he's so nice and not a retard.

I think Kazuma will be extremely jealous of this guy. He got an OP power in the first place and useful harem, errr I mean allies. While Kazuma got stuck up with no money in the first place, and must do hard labor with useless and retarded harem XD. It seems Kirito-kun have a worthy rival.

The girls are also nice and no so far surprisingly no tsundere where the girl punch the guy. But they don't have any unique personalities. The twins reminds me of Kyou and Ryou from Clannad, except they are more cheerful. The twins even hug him without any embarrassment. I'm probably the only who like that the girls immediately are interested with the MC because he's nice and OP. To me I prefer this kind of anime over a complicated anime like Mahouka Kouko, Tokyo Ravens, etc.

The only thing that I dissatisfied about this anime is that they didn't explain how the guy die in his original world. Maybe we get an explanation someday. So far this anime is enjoyable for me. To me this anime is a combination between Konosuba and Rokudenashi Majutsu.
Maruko-sanJul 18, 2017 10:56 AM
Jul 18, 2017 11:16 AM
Jul 2014
any13th said:
The animation quality is below mediocre

Let me see you animate something
Jul 18, 2017 11:17 AM

Jul 2014
HE FUCKING LEARNS "STEAL" OH MY GOD

So what the hell is the point of him having a smartphone? So far all he's done with it is googling recipes, reading news, GPS, and taking pictures. Literally nothing would change if he doesn't have his smartphone.

Yae's fine I guess. Not that cute but has a potential to grow. Also is it just me or does Linze have a weird speech pattern? Her voice sounds edited.

My main problem so far is that they're not even pretending like they have an endgame in mind. So far they've only been doing SoL shits but they're doing it badly. I have no idea what the MC's going for in this new world that he's living in. That, combined with how bland this show is, just adds up to a whole lot of meh.

Oh no I'm not dropping this shit. I'm gonna keep up with it every step of the way just to waste my time and tear this show a new one.

I used to think that hate-watching isn't a thing, look at me now.
And yes, I meant that.
--------------------------------------
Sukasuka Discord server, also home to Orlandri Translation Company, who are planning to translate Sukasuka and Sukamoka:
https://discord.gg/xXTncqJ
Do join if it interests you.
Jul 18, 2017 11:19 AM
Jul 2014
This show isn't even that bad. People overreact too much.
Jul 18, 2017 11:23 AM

Jul 2014
Unleashed_SM said:
any13th said:
The animation quality is below mediocre

Let me see you animate something

You can't just counter an argument by telling the person who made the argument to do the thing they're critiquing.

This show had an entire staff of professionals making it. If even then the animation quality is still poor, then there's something wrong behind-the-scenes. The animators could be rushed or maybe the director doesn't really give a damn.

But at the end of the day, they made a show. And that show should be judged the same way as any other show. And the fact is that this show's animation is kinda garbage.
And yes, I meant that.
Sukasuka Discord server, also home to Orlandri Translation Company, who are planning to translate Sukasuka and Sukamoka:
Jul 18, 2017 11:34 AM

Jan 2015
Aaah its so much fun and such a chill anime i like its sooo much. Fuck dramatic and dark isekais, i want my cute, relaxing and fun isekais. Like dog days and isekai smartphone

FlameTaJaDoru said:

So what the hell is the point of him having a smartphone? So far all he's done with it is googling recipes, reading news, GPS, and taking pictures. Literally nothing would change if he doesn't have his smartphone.

Yae's fine I guess. Not that cute but has a potential to grow. Also is it just me or does Linze have a weird speech pattern? Her voice sounds edited.

My main problem so far is that they're not even pretending like they have an endgame in mind. So far they've only been doing SoL shits but they're doing it badly. I have no idea what the MC's going for in this new world that he's living in. That, combined with how bland this show is, just adds up to a whole lot of meh.

Oh no I'm not dropping this shit. I'm gonna keep up with it every step of the way just to waste my time and tear this show a new one.

Be patient, smartphone will find its use, so far we are just establishing our harem! And why you'd drop this? its the funnest anime this season. You just relax and enjoy

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
AlfyanSep 7, 2017 3:07 PM
Jul 18, 2017 11:40 AM

May 2016
so how long until Touyaism becomes an official anime religion like Haruhiism and The Church of Madoka?
Jul 18, 2017 11:47 AM

Aug 2014
I can see how this wouldn't be the show for people given the expectations most people have for isekai shows. That said, I can't help but enjoy this show a lot. Even with all the flaws and the lackadaisical plot, I just can't help but enjoy watching it. It's lighthearted, and it's surprisingly self-aware of its own genre. It pokes fun at other isekai shows regularly, which makes it have a very slight "parody" flavor. Maybe that will become more pronounced later on, or maybe it will become less noticeable, we'll have to see.

I don't mind that the smartphone isn't being used super heavily in these first few episodes. The practical/OP applications of such a device can't immediately become obvious to the MC, because he's used to using it in his world where it's a standard tool used to make aspects of everyday life more convenient. I think the usage so far is very realistic and believable. MC isn't a genius, he's an everyman (identified as a Gary Stu by some watchers).

Overall, I'm not expecting the show to become absolutely amazing, but I'm going to keep watching because it's basically just a slice of life with interesting fantasy world-building, which is very interesting to me.
Jul 18, 2017 11:49 AM

Jul 2014
Hirugiku said:
FlameTaJaDoru said:

Be patient, smartphone will find its use, so far we are just establishing our harem! And why you'd drop this? its the funnest anime this season. You just relax and enjoy

And THAT'S my problem. Instead of world-building or even remotely trying to make a story with a beginning middle and end, that's what they decided to focus on first. The harem. Which I might add, isn't even that interesting.

I know good harem stories are hard to make these days, but they didn't even try. The first 2 girls he meets instantly accepts him and doesn't even question who he is and why he's so powerful. Wait no, they DO question who he is, but they didn't really follow through with it and just give up trying to find out the answer midway.

To make a good harem story, no, good stories IN GENERAL, one of the things you need are belieavable characters. They don't even need to be relatable or morally good, you just gotta understand who they are and where they're coming from. And so far, the only things I know about the twins, is that they're on some sort of journey doing god-knows-what.

And don't even get me started on the MC. God that guy's so bland.

Also, I am not planning on dropping this show. If anything, I'm gonna watch it until the end.
And yes, I meant that.
Jul 18, 2017 11:55 AM

Dec 2015
I dont know what it is, but its quite enjoyable to watch. Probably because so lighthearted n sht.

I do wonder when are they gonna introduce those talking teddybears or whatever they were. Quite curious about that. They look like fun.
Jul 18, 2017 11:55 AM

Oct 2010
FlameTaJaDoru said:

Tear it a new one how? By commenting on English discussion boards and attempting to make westerners feel bad about liking it? And you think the show lacks a worthwhile goal?
Jul 18, 2017 11:58 AM

Jul 2017
Damn this anime is trash.
Jul 18, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2015
@FlameTaJaDoru
I agree that they accepted him way too fast and he befriended everyone without any trouble in a very short time, Duke trusted him way too much. Everthing is going way too ideally for him. I agree that its hard to believe everything that's going on.
You should look at this from a different angle. You already know that God really feels bad for killing him with lightning so he made him very powerful and Sent him to a world with no problems where he can relax and have fun, its not a dark world like ours. Its the world where people dont doubt others,where they would easily trust you with all their secrets.
That's how i see it.
Jul 18, 2017 12:01 PM

Mar 2016
It's like my palm is glued to my face when I'm watching this show - the author must have watched every video from Terrible Writing Advice but didn't get that the guy was being sarcastic.
Jul 18, 2017 12:04 PM

Oct 2012
I like the show and at the same time agree that's it's very mediocre: the OP, the storyline, the characters that all get along perfectly and the fact that the MC can use any power he wants.
Jul 18, 2017 12:04 PM

Jul 2014
nDroae said:
FlameTaJaDoru said:

Tear it a new one how? By commenting on English discussion boards and attempting to make westerners feel bad about liking it? And you think the show lacks a worthwhile goal?

I am NOT trying to discredit anyone who enjoys this show. In fact, they can enjoy whatever the fuck they want, more power to them. But don't think that'll stop me from saying what I think about the show.

Also, that's kinda what a discussion forum is for. It's the place where multiple parties discuss and share their points of view on a topic.

So maybe, instead of trying to dismiss my argument as useless, you should try voicing your own opinions and why you have them. Then, we can actually start discussing like civil human beings.
And yes, I meant that.
Jul 18, 2017 12:08 PM

Jul 2014
Hirugiku said:
@FlameTaJaDoru
I agree that they accepted him way too fast and he befriended everyone without any trouble in a very short time, Duke trusted him way too much. Everthing is going way too ideally for him. I agree that its hard to believe everything that's going on.
You should look at this from a different angle. You already know that God really feels bad for killing him with lightning so he made him very powerful and Sent him to a world with no problems where he can relax and have fun, its not a dark world like ours. Its the world where people dont doubt others,where they would easily trust you with all their secrets.
That's how i see it.

Fair enough. I don't particularly see anything wrong with a feel-good type of show. I just wish this has more to it y'know?
And yes, I meant that.
Jul 18, 2017 12:11 PM

Oct 2010
FlameTaJaDoru said:
So maybe, instead of trying to dismiss my argument as useless, you should try voicing your own opinions and why you have them. Then, we can actually start discussing like civil human beings.

Well, for example, I've reached the prior conclusion that having believable characters is completely unnecessary to a show being enjoyable, so there's no discussion to be had, beyond agreeing to disagree.

I feel that the points you criticize will inevitably be obvious before you say anything about them, but by all means, I won't object further to your continuing to do so. I've hate-watched shows before myself, but even then I didn't keep a running commentary on them.
Jul 18, 2017 12:14 PM

Jul 2014
@nDroae
Suit yourself.
And yes, I meant that.
Jul 18, 2017 12:16 PM

Apr 2010
Unleashed_SM said:
This show isn't even that bad. People overreact too much.

It's actually even worse than what people are making it out to be.
Jul 18, 2017 12:18 PM
Aug 2015
any13th said:

Yae joined the party, which was... something I guess, but why?
Agh, I'm gonna stop ranting as I don't want to annoy anyone who happens to enjoy this.
Sorry.

1. In the restaurant, Yae explained that she is on a training journey.
2. She is looking up to MC because of his attitude and strengths.

Right now, the story feels generic and the smartphone does not look relevant.
I hope that it will get better.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A question for the Light Novel readers regarding his identity

Cyanide86 - Mar 10

2 by Cyanide86 »»
Mar 10, 8:57 AM

» 10/10 from me.. who else? ( 1 2 )

Yui_Suzumiya69 - Apr 26, 2023

65 by AgelessPharaoh »»
Mar 8, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2017

238 by DayMan_Official »»
Dec 29, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2017

262 by White_Alice »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:13 PM

Poll: » Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2017

78 by Rello »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.